Navior's Age of Worms (Inactive)

Game Master Navior


1,951 to 2,000 of 2,094 << first < prev | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | next > last >>

Venedictus comes back, looking at them with only partially-false irritation.
"Look, I can hardly help it if the young maidens of this town turn to me for fulfillment when they can't get it from guys like Kullen! Unfortunately, this yong lady seems to believe that Kullen will satisfy her, so I must look elsewhere." He looks Kullen up and down skeptically. "Can't say as I see it, myself, but there's no accounting for some women's tastes."


So, since we're gonna wait til morning, yall care where the party crashes? A specific inn? Out of town at a campsite?


Dara shakes her head and slaps Vene on the ass on their way out the door. "Have fun you kids. Don't do anything you can't brag about in tha mornin'!"


Once the team leaves Kullen's, Freddie speaks up, "Mebbe we should camp out tonight, and catch Allustan in the morning. No need to announce our presence just yet."


HP: 25/25 | AC:17 ; T:16 ; FF:14 ; CMD:21 | Fort:+4 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+7 | Init:+2 ; PER:+8

Unless Kullen is an amazing actor and hellbent on revenge... I think we are probably OK to stay in town. If we want hole up in a single room or a couple of rooms, we could. Of course, if Bear wants to go another round with UU, well, she's not into PDFs... (Public Displays of Fornication). :)


Lol. I'm fine with that... one room or separate. I'm not as concerned about retribution from Kullen specifically, but there are any number of ways that we coudl be targeted in this crap-town. Our wind-fall of income. Knocking off one of the big-gun's best friends. I don't know. Bear would rather stay in town, though, to be honest. While he doesn't fancy another broken rib, he'll get over it for another night with the Hellcat.


HP: 25/25 | AC:17 ; T:16 ; FF:14 ; CMD:21 | Fort:+4 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+7 | Init:+2 ; PER:+8

Lay on Hands cures all ills. Listen, even botching the dismount, that busted rib got you a 5.9 from the East German Judge! LOL. Actually, UU can't be buying replacement furniture every time you guys knock boots... so we'll assume you show a little more control this time. Let's assume plaster dust raining down on the folks in the room below you and perhaps torn bedsheets... you know, the usual.


The Able Carter Coaching Inn again, I presume?

Kullen gives Venedictus a barely restrained angry glare as you all leave his home. Once outside, you make your way casually to the Coaching Inn, where you acquire rooms from a sleepy attendant (1 gp each) and you retire for the remainder of the night.

440 XP each.

Considering the lateness of the hour when you actually get to bed (and finish any other nighttime activities), you probably sleep in a bit in the morning (the 13th of Pharast). Once you do arise, you regroup in the common room for some breakfast.


HP: 25/25 | AC:17 ; T:16 ; FF:14 ; CMD:21 | Fort:+4 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+7 | Init:+2 ; PER:+8

Cash updated.

UU looks a bit sleepy but content at the breakfast table the next day, a lazy smile plays across her face. She bites voraciously into a hunk of fresh bread. "So, what's on the agenda? Gonna catch up with that sage and hopefully find out some stuff?"


Freddie nods at her, trying to keep the knowledge of her activities out of his eyes. He says tiredly, "Yeah, best to see what he found out, then it's on to the final room."


Bear picks himself up off his elbows (where he'd been half-dozing through breakfast), the table giving a loud groan at the release of his not insignificant weight. He gives a satisfied yawn and wipes his face with his meaty hands, his voice a muffled as he speaks, "Sounds good to me." He takes a sip of his warmed tea, "I can't think of anything else we'd need before we head back out of town, though I need to re-supply my trick components."

"But, like I said yesterday, I think we should stick together while in town."


You make your way across town to the home of Allustan. You head across his garden and up to the red and blue house. You've barely knocked on the door, when it opens and Allustan steps out. "Ah, there you are! he says. "I was starting to wonder if you were coming back. I have some information for you about your glyph and strange artifact. Wait here one moment."

He goes back inside the house and closes the door. A few minutes later, he comes back out with several papers and leads you back to the garden. He sits down on the large tree stump there. "Right now, let's see." He flips through the pages, which would appear to be notes he's taken. "Ah yes. The glyph you drew me is the personal sigil of Icosiel, one of the Wind Dukes of Aaqa. They were a powerful race of elemental beings who are said to have once dominated an empire that spanned worlds. Eventually, these paragons of law clashed against the Queen of Chaos, a primordial being. Who exactly she was, nobody can be exactly sure. There are several possibilities. However, in the great final battle on the fabled fields of Pesh--a location that no one's quite sure where it actually was, somewhere on Golarion though, oh and nothing to do with the drug Pesh; just an unfortunate coincidence in naming... Where was I? Oh yes! In the final battle on the fabled fields of Pesh, seven of the most powerful Wind Dukes employed a weapon called the Rod of Law, that shattered as it struck down the queen's demonic consort known as the Wolf-Spider. The Rod of Law became the Rod of Seven Parts, one of the most legendary artifacts in all of folklore.

Allustan looks up from his papers. "I must say, you've made a very exciting find. It's entirely possible that you've stumbled across the tomb of one of the Wind Dukes or one of their servants. Now then, I don't think the tomb is Icosiel's himself. This glyph was on the remains of the apparatus you discovered, yes?"

From the folds of his voluminous robes, he pulls out the shard you left with him. "This is a piece of a substance very similar to obsidian, although not identical. It is not native to this world. When full, the apparatus you described would have looked like a large mirror and this substance would have been where you would expect to find the mirrored surface itself. However, it was clearly not actually a mirror. I suspect it was a transportation device set up to teleport those who step into it to a specific predefined location. The apparatus had the symbol of Icosiel on it either to indicate it belonged to him or, more likely, that its destination was somewhere associated with him, probably his tomb. Thus, the tomb you entered is probably the tomb of one of his servants. Did you see any other glyphs while you were in there?"


Navior, did Freddie get a close enough look at the glyph in the final chamber, where the statue spoke those words. If so, then he will describe the glyph to Allustan. If not, then he will draw on his eidetic memory [int 20] and describe it from memory.
INT check, if needed 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8


Ouch... don't suppose he can take 10 on that check?


Fredrik "Flash" Williams wrote:

Navior, did Freddie get a close enough look at the glyph in the final chamber, where the statue spoke those words. If so, then he will describe the glyph to Allustan. If not, then he will draw on his eidetic memory [int 20] and describe it from memory.

INT check, if needed 1d20+5

I was pretty much assuming that he took a good look at it, so he can remember what it looks like regardless of the roll.

Allustan listens carefully as Fredrik describes the glyph and then gets Fredrik to draw it for him again. With the drawing of the glyph in his hand, Allustan says, "Wait here a moment." He then gets up and hurries back into his house.

It's several minutes before he emerges again. "That would be the glyph of Zosiel, one of the warriors present at the battle of Pesh. I'm afraid I don't have much information on him. A fairly high-ranking lieutenant in the Wind Dukes' army. There is a book...now, what was it called? Oh yes, the Chronicle of Chan. It might have more information about Zosiel. I could probably requisition it from the library at Kaer Maga, but I'm afraid it would take time."


Allustan aka Navior wrote:

I was pretty much assuming that he took a good look at it, so he can remember what it looks like regardless of the roll.

Allustan listens carefully as Fredrik describes the glyph and then gets Fredrik to draw it for him again. With the drawing of the glyph in his hand, Allustan says, "Wait here a moment." He then gets up and hurries back into his house.

It's several minutes before he emerges again. "That would be the glyph of Zosiel, one of the warriors present at the battle of Pesh. I'm afraid I don't have much information on him. A fairly high-ranking lieutenant in the Wind Dukes' army. There is a book...now, what was it called? Oh yes, the Chronicle of Chan. It might have more information about Zosiel. I could probably requisition it from the library at Kaer Maga, but I'm afraid it would take time."

Fredrik bows in respect to the older gentleman, "Hey, this is a big help for us, thanks for your efforts, Allustan. If I need to see that Chronicles of Chan book, I will let you know."

If Freddie owes him any money for the work, he will pay Allustan now.


Fredrik "Flash" Williams wrote:
If Freddie owes him any money for the work, he will pay Allustan now.

20 gp

Allustan takes the money with a nod and gives Fredrik back the shard. "I'll be happy to answer any further questions you might have. Come see me any time."


Fredrik hands over the agreed sum of coins, waving off the other members protests, "This one is on me." He then pockets the shard.

Just before he turns to leave, he asks the older wizard, "I am curious, has anyone else been taking a special interest in us?" He indicates the rest of the party.


Allustan shakes his head. "Not that I've noticed. But then, I have a tendency to keep to myself apart from an occasional game of dragonchess at Lazare's, so I could easily miss that sort of thing. Certainly no one has come here inquiring about you."


reclaiming my dot!


"Ahh, good to know, thanks, Allustan."


Back to the cairn, I take it, or is there anything else you wanted to do first (supplies or whatnot)?


Yep. Also, re-gatherin' ma dots!


You return to the Whispering Cairn and go through what now seems a routine of relighting the lanterns, climbing up to the secret tunnel and then going down it. You reach the large chamber with the column or air, step into the column and return to the final room with the sarcophagus.


Assuming Dara or Udaya trigger the statues response...

Freddie says, "Let me handle this, and he responds in Auran, "Zosiel"


When Dara/Udaya (I'll allow you to decide which one does so) steps upon the dais, the bas-relief animates again and says the same thing as before. Freddie calls out the name of Zosiel, but the animated figure continues to stare with no reaction. You get the distinct impression it's waiting for Dara/Udaya to speak.


I can't heal people so I'll do it. "Zosiel!"


Suddenly, a bright blue light shines around the sarcophagus lid. After a few seconds, the light fades, revealing a seam between the lid and the rest of the sarcophagus. The animated warrior becomes a simple bas-relief sculpture again.


Freddie will scan for magical auras again. Detect Magic


He detects three distinct auras, one fewer than last time. The strong aura on the sarcophagus is gone. The others remain the same: a faint illusory aura on the bas-relief, a moderate transmutation aura inside the sarcophagus, and a strong aura that you were not able to determine the school on.


"Ok, I suspect the main trap on the sarcophagus is gone, but there are still three other auras there. Be careful, Dara."


HP: 25/25 | AC:17 ; T:16 ; FF:14 ; CMD:21 | Fort:+4 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+7 | Init:+2 ; PER:+8

"Lil' D, maybe you should look for traps... and if you find none, I should pop the cork on this thing."


"Um, if'n I get blown up, you can help patch me up. Other way around, most I can do is pick up tha pieces..."

Perception 1d20 + 8 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 8 + 2 + 1 = 24 stone, traps


Dara does not find any traps on the sarcophagus. The lid is heavy, but with a little effort, easily removed. The interior is surprisingly bare for its size. There is a small silver diadem inscribed with the glyph of Zosiel. There are also two long, slightly curved black horns with red tips and a pewter box inscribed with alien letters.

Knowledge (planes) DC 15:
The letters are from an ancient language of chaos related to the language of the proteans.

Detect magic reveals that the diadem is the source of the moderate transmutation aura.

Fredrik Spellcraft: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21
Bear Spellcraft: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25

Bear identifies the diadem as a headband of inspired Wisdom +2.

The unidentified strong aura is coming from inside the pewter box, which is sealed with melted metal.


Knowledge, Planes 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (3) + 10 = 13

Fredrik looking over the pewter box, and seeing it sealed, looks nervously at the others. "I don't think it's a good idea to open this, do you?" He picks up the box and stows it in his pack. "I think Allustan should have a look at this."


Bear picks up the diadem, "I'm surprised you're so willing to even touch it, frankly." He holds the diadem up for a few seconds, then shrugs, "This will boost someone's perceptions and mental fortitude. It might also benefit our Songbird's spell-casting somewhat. Not much use to me. Who wants it?"

Makes sense to give it to Venny, anyone else gets simply a +1 to a few skills and a +1 to will save.


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1

Venedictus was certainly going to want something like that eventually, though it really does him no more good now than it would anybody else.
That being said, he's certainly not going to turn it down if Bear wants to give it to him, though his jaw does tighten at the nickname 'Songbird'.


Venedictus wrote:

Venedictus was certainly going to want something like that eventually, though it really does him no more good now than it would anybody else.

That being said, he's certainly not going to turn it down if Bear wants to give it to him, though his jaw does tighten at the nickname 'Songbird'.

He'll look ever so regal in his silver diadem, totally the image of a royal monk. :)

Anything further you wish to do here?


HP: 25/25 | AC:17 ; T:16 ; FF:14 ; CMD:21 | Fort:+4 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+7 | Init:+2 ; PER:+8

So we have accounted for all of the magical auras that were detected, yes?
Do the horns seem reminiscent of the horns of the baddie in the frescoes we've seen?
Shall we do a mundane search of the sarcophagus?

UU detects evil on all of the items found in the sarcophagus...


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1

"Is the strong aura coming from the box itself, or something inside? It seems a shame to take it back to Allustan and pay his prices when we may know enough ourselves to figure it out. Besides, this seems to me that it might be the biggest part of this collection. Allustan seems trustworthy enough, but dare we risk this prize being vakuable enough to tempt him?"


Udaya Udas wrote:
So we have accounted for all of the magical auras that were detected, yes?

Yes.

Udaya Udas wrote:
Do the horns seem reminiscent of the horns of the baddie in the frescoes we've seen?

Yes.

Udaya Udas wrote:
Shall we do a mundane search of the sarcophagus?

That's up to you. ;) Assuming you do though...

Bear Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
Dara Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19 +2 stone, +1 traps
Fredrik Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
Udaya Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
Venedictus Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8

You find nothing else in the sarcophagus.

Udaya Udas wrote:
UU detects evil on all of the items found in the sarcophagus...

She does not detect any evil.


Freddie smirks at Vene, "Well we could certainly try to figure it out on our own, but would that mean us having to open the box? Yes, I think so. That is not something I wish doing at this point in time. Perhaps later, we can risk it. As for Allustan's trustworthiness, he has dealt fairly with us so far...do you have something against wizards in general?"


Bear smiles confidently, "Venny here loves wizards. I'm sure it's just the fact that we don't really know Allustan all that well."


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1

"I certainly have nothing against wizards at all, but we don't know him very well. So far, we've fought zombies, dealt with ghosts, gone down ancient elevating devices, played spin the bottle with a giant coffin, ridden a column of air, and searched the sarcophagus of a powerful ancient being - why are you balking at opening a box?"


"My dear Vene, it is not the box that concerns me, it is what is inside the box that scares me. The box that conceals an item radiating a strong magical aura of unknown type. Plus most boxes I have run across are not sealed with melted metal."


HP: 25/25 | AC:17 ; T:16 ; FF:14 ; CMD:21 | Fort:+4 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+7 | Init:+2 ; PER:+8
Navior wrote:
She does not detect any evil.

Nav, am I correct in assuming that IF something in the box were evil, I wouldn't be able to detect it through the box itself?


Udaya Udas wrote:
Navior wrote:
She does not detect any evil.
Nav, am I correct in assuming that IF something in the box were evil, I wouldn't be able to detect it through the box itself?

The box is not made of lead (well, there is often lead in pewter, but it's primarily tin, and what little lead there is wouldn't form a consistent sheet), so you should be able to detect evil through it. The top, bottom, and sides of the box would have to be at least 1 inch thick to block you, and if they were that thick, there would be virtually no room left to put anything in it.


HP: 25/25 | AC:17 ; T:16 ; FF:14 ; CMD:21 | Fort:+4 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+7 | Init:+2 ; PER:+8

"Gents, I see no evil in any of these objects or in that box... but, like Slick, I kinda have some concerns about busting that sucker open given how it is sealed and the amount of trouble it took us to get it. I'd be happier if we could translate that strange writing. Could we maybe sketch the text and bring that to Allustan and not mention the box?"


"Sure thing, Udaya. No need to mention it now." Freddie breaks out quill, and paper and sketches the glyphs on the vellum sheets. "That should do it."
He stows all of the sheets and the box in another pouch, and says, "So, we done here?"


"I see nothin' else lootable."

1,951 to 2,000 of 2,094 << first < prev | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Navior's Age of Worms All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.