Navior's Age of Worms (Inactive)

Game Master Navior


2,001 to 2,050 of 2,094 << first < prev | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | next > last >>

With that, you step back into the column of air and are transported back down below. You retrace your steps once more, put out all the lanterns, and head back to the outside world.

Heading straight to Allustan's?


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1

Venedictus is fine with that plan. Straight to Allustan's sounds good, unless of course, other people feel the need to stop for a drink on the way.


I do love me some drinking, but Allustan's is fine.


Work first, then play, he he

"Yeah, let's see what Allustan has to say about this box here."


Allustan is a bit surprised to see you back so soon, but he eagerly takes a look at the sketches Fredrik made of the letters. "Very interesting," he says. "Looks similar to the language of the proteans, I think. Perhaps an archaic version of it, or a related language. A simple comprehend languages spell ought to decipher them."

He casts the spell. "Ah, let's see. Are these sketches in the same order as the source? They would just appear to be random letters with no real meaning to them. I suppose that would fit the chaotic nature of proteans."


"Yeah, Allustan, this is the correct order I saw the glyphs in. I wonder if maybe they were transposed on purpose to hide the true meaning. Anything else you can tell us about these proteans? Would that be the race that destroyed the Wind Dukes, and that Rod of theirs?"


"The proteans are creatures of pure chaos," Allustan says. "Natives of the Maelstrom. The Wind Dukes fought against the Queen of Chaos and her chaotic hordes. It stands to reason that their would be proteans among such an army. The Queen of Chaos may have been some sort of protean lord, but no one really knows for sure. It was a very long time ago, at least back as far as ancient Thassilon, and like so much else from that time, most of the details have been lost."


"Yeah, that is strange, maybe that is something I will ask you to research later, but I suspect my companions want to do..." glancing at Bear and Udaya, "other things. So I shant keep you any longer."

He bids Allustan a fond farewell, and then the group meets up at the The Able Carter Coaching Inn where they had breakfast earlier.

Keeping his voice down, he asks, "Well, I hate to ask, but what should our next move be? Seeing that green worm thing at the observatory makes me nervous. Maybe we should check out Mister Smenk mine since there may be some hints why Smenk brought over his friend to town. What do you guys think?"


500 XP each.

You have now completed "The Whispering Cairn", the first adventure in Age of Worms. Downtime will be short. What's it to be?


Woot!


Dara placed a down payment on a masterwork chain shirt that she's waiting on.


Dara Hellhammer wrote:
Dara placed a down payment on a masterwork chain shirt that she's waiting on.

Ah yes, thanks for reminding me!

You check in at Vanelle's and she informs you that the shirt has been ordered and is on it's way from Korvosa. She expects it to arrive in the next two to three days. "Of course, with these sorts of things, you never can be entirely sure, but not long now."

The shirt will arrive on the evening of the 15th. Today's the 13th. So if the party doesn't mind resting a couple of days, you can easily have it when you start your next expedition.


For his downtime, Freddie will

  • Return home to his mother, and make sure the payments are all caught up.
  • He will also see about getting a supply of meat for Pup to eat, and also a place out in the stables for him to sleep.
  • Go see Lydia and regale her with tales of the adventures he went through.
  • Hide the box where no one can find it.


  • Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1

    Venedictus will spend his down time doing something that truly grates against his principles: he'll set himself up on a street corner near the entrance to Smenk's mine and sing for the masses, maybe even with a little hat out on the ground. He's not really looking for the money, just making his presence a little more familiar to the locals in case they do have to sneak their way into this mine to look for this cult.


    Venedictus wrote:
    Venedictus will spend his down time doing something that truly grates against his principles: he'll set himself up on a street corner near the entrance to Smenk's mine and sing for the masses, maybe even with a little hat out on the ground. He's not really looking for the money, just making his presence a little more familiar to the locals in case they do have to sneak their way into this mine to look for this cult.

    One note: The letter you found amongst Filge's stuff was written by Smenk, but stated that the cult situation is in Dourstone Mine, one of Smenk's competitors, so you probably don't want to sneak into Smenk's mine. :)


    Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1
    Navior wrote:
    Venedictus wrote:
    Venedictus will spend his down time doing something that truly grates against his principles: he'll set himself up on a street corner near the entrance to Smenk's mine and sing for the masses, maybe even with a little hat out on the ground. He's not really looking for the money, just making his presence a little more familiar to the locals in case they do have to sneak their way into this mine to look for this cult.
    One note: The letter you found amongst Filge's stuff was written by Smenk, but stated that the cult situation is in Dourstone Mine, one of Smenk's competitors, so you probably don't want to sneak into Smenk's mine. :)

    Ahh...Dourstone it is, then.


    The next couple days pass by fairly uneventfully. Dara's chain shirt arrives and she can pick that up (and pay the remaining 200 gp owing).

    Venedictus attempts to regale the masses going to Dourstone mine with his singing. He sets up outside the wooden stockade that surrounds the perimeter of the mining camp. On his first time there, not long after he starts singing, he hears a horn blow. A short while later, 8 guards surround him and tell him to get lost.

    Venedictus Diplomacy: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19

    His attempts to convince them to let him stay appear to make some progress towards appeasing them, but not enough. If he wants, he can bribe them. Each 10 gp will give him +2 to his Diplomacy result. He needs to meet a DC 25 to get them to leave him alone, i.e. 30 gp. (With a boost to DC 35, he can even get them to let him into the camp.) Otherwise, they send him packing and don't let him come back.

    Fredrik spends his time as stated above.

    Bear and Udaya spend time doing what they do when they're alone.

    Another 3 gp each spent for lodging at the Coaching Inn for three nights.

    On the morning of Pharast 16, you are all somewhat surprised to find Kullen waiting for you when you come down for breakfast. "I didn't tell him," he says defensively, holding his hands up. "I didn't tell him anything. But um... Smenk wants to see you. He sent me to tell you to get your butts over to his place as soon as possible."


    Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1

    Venedictus will fork out the 80gp to gain himself access to Dourstone Mine camp, and sell himself as an entertainer for the miners. He'll try to get access to one of the mine managers or mine bosses and sell himself as an entertainer for the miners to raise morale, hinting that perhaps his skills as a healer could also be useful. Of course, he would need his 4 assistants to have access as well, to help with the healing, and to use minor magic tricks to also entertain the masses. Bear and Dara he paints as being partially for his own security, partially as his apprentices.

    He also works a guidance spell into a demonstration of his skills.

    Diplomacy for mine boss: 1d20 + 10 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 10 + 1 = 20

    He attempts to negotiate a 'fair' daily wage for himself and his assistants, though he purposely allows the mine boss to 'take advantage of him'.


    Fredrik says drily to the hulking half orc, "Well, a social call. Must have heard about my new gig singing down at the Giant. How nice that he wants me to perform for him....C'mon Kullen, how stupid do you think we are? Tell us the reason why he wants to see us."


    Venedictus wrote:

    Venedictus will fork out the 80gp to gain himself access to Dourstone Mine camp, and sell himself as an entertainer for the miners. He'll try to get access to one of the mine managers or mine bosses and sell himself as an entertainer for the miners to raise morale, hinting that perhaps his skills as a healer could also be useful. Of course, he would need his 4 assistants to have access as well, to help with the healing, and to use minor magic tricks to also entertain the masses. Bear and Dara he paints as being partially for his own security, partially as his apprentices.

    He also works a guidance spell into a demonstration of his skills.

    Diplomacy for mine boss: 1d20+10+1

    He attempts to negotiate a 'fair' daily wage for himself and his assistants, though he purposely allows the mine boss to 'take advantage of him'.

    Heh, I must admit, I didn't expect you to shell out the cash! :)

    The site manager, a dwarf with a tangled grey beard and mostly bald head, listens calmly and quietly to what Venedictus has to say. When Venedictus is done, the manager says, "Mister Dourstone does the hiring, not me. And he hires miners and guards. He does not hire entertainers and he does not hire healers. He runs a mine, not a theatre or hospital. Now, I don't mind you entertaining the miners for free, but if it's gonna to cost Mister Dourstone any money, you're outta here."

    Regardless of the Diplomacy check or bribes, he won't change his mind, and he will point out that it's not his decision to make, and Mister Dourstone is not available to talk to.


    Fredrik "Flash" Williams wrote:
    Fredrik says drily to the hulking half orc, "Well, a social call. Must have heard about my new gig singing down at the Giant. How nice that he wants me to perform for him....C'mon Kullen, how stupid do you think we are? Tell us the reason why he wants to see us."

    Kullen scowls and approaches closer to Fredrik so that he's breathing right into Fredrik's face. "Look! I said I didn't tell him, all right?" He jabs a finger in Fredrik's chest. "But you're the one who's been bragging to your girlfriend about your adventures and she's been telling others! So he's learned that you're an adventuring type!"

    Kullen backs away from Fredrik, visibly trying to control his anger. "For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure he doesn't know you offed Filge, though he does know Filge is dead now. Discovered that on his own. I don't know why he wants to see you. But generally, if he asks to see someone, he's got an offer to make them. If he meant you harm, he'd have just sent someone to do it. Heh, he might want to hire you to find out who killed Filge." Kullen chuckles.


    Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1

    Well, in that case, I guess this mine manager really manages to 'take advantage of him'. Venedictus makes a grand spiel about at least being able to bring the beauteous word of Shelyn to the miners, to take their minds off how hard they work, slipping in a few mentions about how healthier and happier workers are more productive workers. He then promises to return the next day to offer his services and that of his apprentices and colleagues.

    He then heads back to the inn to find Kullen sitting in his spot at their table. He pulls up another chair and gets caught up on the conversation.


    Girlfriend? She's not my girlfriend...at least not yet....and I told her not to...oh well too late now.

    Fredrik gags at the smell of Kullen's breath, and grunts as the beefy finger touches his chest, and fighting back the fear he feels, he retorts, "Well, gee, I feel so much better now! He wants to see us to hire us for some unspecified job, up at his humble abode, where accidents have been known to happen, and people tend to leave there in more pieces than they arrived with!"

    He fights back his own anger, When did I get so hot headed, it must be hanging around Bear and Udaya, I guess. "So, Kullen, would you care to offer any guarantees if we go up to visit Smenk, we can return under our own power?"

    Sense Motive 1d20 ⇒ 11


    "If he actually invites you in, the apes are restrained," Kullen says. "They're only there to get the people who enter under the open invitation. Beyond that, I don't know what else to say. What would you consider a guarantee?"


    Bear watches the exchange between Freddy and half-orc, "Listen, Kullen, there's no need to come in here and be all belligerent to my friends. i think we can all agree that fighting between you and us doesn't help anyone. Thanks for giving us Smenk's message, by the way. If I thought you'd accept, I'd offer to buy you breakfast. Hell, the offer's there if you want it." Diplomacy 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (19) - 1 = 18.

    'Catch more flies with honey', ma always said. He thinks as he regards the half-orc.

    "There anything else we should know before we decide whether or not to head over there?"


    "Nothin' else that I've been told," Kullen says. He looks over at the tables in the room and sniffs the air. The aroma of breakfast coming from the kitchen is quite strong. "I've never eaten at this fancy place. You serious about that offer?"


    Bear chuckles and pushes out a chair with his foot, "Wouldn't have offered if I wasn't." This guy is gonna eat me out of my savings, isn't he? :)

    "Kullen, I figure we just got off on the wrong foot. No reason we can't be friends." and he waves over the waitress, using the motion to give Hell-cat and Dara a 'bear with me' look.

    I'm legitimately being nice here... no bluffing.


    Kullen cautiously approaches the chair. "Yeah well, you're a capable lot. That's for certain. You ain't so bad, I suppose." He lowers himself slowly into the chair. Perhaps we can get along. Hell, if Smenk is lookin' to hire you, we might even end up working together. So, what're they servin' at this place?"


    Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1

    Hi, folks. I might be out of commission for a bit. Currently sitting in labour and delivery room while my wife sleeps, so can post for now, but will probably have my head ripped off if I try it a few hours from now.


    Venedictus wrote:
    Hi, folks. I might be out of commission for a bit. Currently sitting in labour and delivery room while my wife sleeps, so can post for now, but will probably have my head ripped off if I try it a few hours from now.

    Ah, so the time has come! Congrats!

    Or should that be commiserations on all the sleepless nights you have ahead of you? :)


    Venedictus wrote:
    Hi, folks. I might be out of commission for a bit. Currently sitting in labour and delivery room while my wife sleeps, so can post for now, but will probably have my head ripped off if I try it a few hours from now.

    Bravo! and Congrats! Just be sure to get him started playing PF as soon as he figures out the dice should not be put into his/her mouth!


    Fredrik looks over at the uncouth waarrior, and sees (hopes?) he is sincere. Chances are, he wasn't but still he felt obligated to at least give him a chance.

    "Well, I hear the venison stew they serve here is melt in your mouth good..."


    "Perfect," Kullen says. "I'm hungry." He turns to the waitress, Lyselle, as she arrives. "Give me some of your stew," he says to her. He then turns back to the group. "Here's an idea. I'll go with ya to see Smenk. That way, if there's an ambush, I get caught in it too. How 'bout that?"


    Fredrik shrugs, "Yeah, I think that would be all right. Mebbe we can work together as a team now, he he."


    Dara winks and laughs. "We been hangin' out so much we're practically chums at this point right? I ain't got no problem with it. Least I don't hafta worry about Kullen bustin' out any of that fancy wizard talk, right big guy?"


    "I'm fine with that idea, Kullen. My only concern is that I wouldn't want to put you in an awkward position. I know your loyalty is with Smenk. If things didn't go well, I'd hate for our actions or the repercussions of them to fall back on you."

    Not to mention that if it comes to fighting, we'll have one more opponent to deal with.

    "So I'll let you make that call."

    Let me know how much the meal for Kullen is.


    Beargle "Bear" Zstellian wrote:
    Let me know how much the meal for Kullen is.

    5 sp.

    You eat your breakfast and then head with Kullen to Balabar Smenk's place. His home is in the southwest of Baslwief at the end of Asher Avenue. It was clearly once a luxurious mansion, but it's now well past its prime. With some serious work, it could probably be fixed up, but it seems Smenk just doesn't care enough or is to stingy with his money.

    Three rough-looking men carrying lead pipes move to block your way as you approach. "They're expected," Kullen says.

    "We know," one of the men replies. He pulls out a vial of cologne and holds it out. "Each of you put this on," he says.

    Kullen takes the vial. "The apes have been trained not to attack anyone wearing this stuff," he explains to the group. He turns to address the thugs again. "I was told they were being restrained."

    "They are," the man with the pipe replies. "But just in case one breaks loose, you wouldn't want anything nasty happening."

    Kullen shrugs and dabs some of the cologne on himself and then hands the bottle to Bear. The cologne is utterly vile smelling.


    Sense Motive (to get a sense of sincerity/deception here) 1d20 ⇒ 11.


    Beargle "Bear" Zstellian wrote:
    Sense Motive (to get a sense of sincerity/deception here) 1d20.

    There's a definite sense of bravado from the three thugs. They're trying to look menacing. However, there's no indication that they're lying.


    Bear takes a whiff of the questionable substance, recoiling, "Shoo.. glad we don't have to drink this stuff." And duplicates Kullen's application.


    "Well, I think it would be rude to keep the good man waiting, right?" Freddie asks as he helps himself to the 'cologne'.

    Navior, is Pup all right staying in the stables, or will he be tagging along for this trip?


    HP: 25/25 | AC:17 ; T:16 ; FF:14 ; CMD:21 | Fort:+4 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+7 | Init:+2 ; PER:+8

    UU wrinkles her nose at the foul brew. "Think I'd rather take my chances with the Apes..." But she applies the cologne nonetheless.


    Fredrik "Flash" Williams wrote:
    Navior, is Pup all right staying in the stables, or will he be tagging along for this trip?

    Pup has gotten used to the stables so he's all right staying there for the time being.

    I'll assume Venedictus and Dara use the cologne as well.

    Once you've all applied the cologne, the toughs take the vial back and one of them leads you into the mansion. The entranceway and the front hall are in terrible shape, clearly made a mess of by the apes. However, once you get past that, the place looks somewhat decent. You're lead into a small waiting room with a few padded chairs. There's a small table by the wall with a decanter of wine and five glasses.

    "Wait here," the thug says, then leaves and closes the door.


    Dara wrinkles her nose in distaste as she applies the foul-smelling concoction. "Uugh, this stuff smells about as bad as that Hirsch Blut crap my Daddy drinks."


    After several minutes, the door opens again and Balabar Smenk enters the room. He's a rather ugly individual with a scowl on his wide face. He's not very tall, but he's thick-boned and just a little chubby so he looks bigger than he really is. He's bald on the top of his head, but has thick and tangled gray hair on the sides of his head. He positively reeks of the cologne you've been made to wear. The avatar picture is the actual picture of Smenk from the adventure.

    He looks you over and scowls when he see Kullen with you. "Kullen, get lost," he says. Kullen nods and scurries from the room.

    Once Kullen is gone, he heads over to the table, pours a glass of wine, and takes a sip. "Wine?" he offers.


    HP: 25/25 | AC:17 ; T:16 ; FF:14 ; CMD:21 | Fort:+4 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+7 | Init:+2 ; PER:+8

    "None for me, thanks... So, Mr. Smenk, what did you wanna talk to us about? I'm guessing it wasn't your wine collection."


    Fredrik takes the proffered glass, and takes a sip, "Thanks, but I am dying of curiosity, however, to hear of the reason for this invitataion."

    Fort save? he he


    "'preciate it, Sir, but I ain't much fer wine."


    Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1

    "Yes, ummm, neither am I," Venedictus says, refusing a drink.

    I think a bluff check is in order for that though: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16


    "Not trying to be blunt here, but I'd prefer to know what this is all about."

    2,001 to 2,050 of 2,094 << first < prev | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | next > last >>
    Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Navior's Age of Worms All Messageboards

    Want to post a reply? Sign in.