The Inheiritance of the Crimson Sun (Legacy of Fire AP in Dark Sun)

Game Master Sebecloki

Maps and Images:

Battlemaps:

The Lair of Kchac'Thraa the Inimitable: Shraagroom's Sporulation Chamber -- Battlemap: Round 4
The Lair of Kchac'Thraa the Inimitable: Shraagroom's Sporulation Chamber -- Battlemap: Round 3
The Lair of Kchac'Thraa the Inimitable: Shraagroom's Sporulation Chamber -- Battlemap
The Lair of Kchac'Thraa the Inimitable: Shraagroom's Sporulation Chamber -- Plain View

The Lair of Kchac'Thraa the Inimitable: The Door to Doom -- Battlemap

pngs/pdfs of battlemaps

PNG of Map w/ Tokens
PNG of Map w/out Tokens
The Lair of Kchac'Thraa the Inimitable - The Door to Doom pdf

Current Encounter Maps:

Myceloid Cavern
Earth Drake Layer: Overview
Earth Drake Layer w/our Grid
Earth Drake Layer w/ Grid

Hex Grid

The Ruins of Kalidnay
The Ruins of Kalidnay I: The Ceramic Desert and Outskirts of New Kalid
The Ruins of Kalidnay II: Elder Kalidnay and the Diamond Mines of Khnum-Khamunkhephres
The Ruins of Kalidnay III: The Iridescent Desert and Magma Lake

Setting Maps

The Free City of Tyr
The Ruins of Yaramuke
The City State of Raam

The World of Athas

World Map I
World Map II
World Map III

The Valley of Dust and Fire
The Tyr Region
The Tyr Region and the Valley of Dust and Fire

Some additional ideas from the 'Arena' discussion forums of Athas.org that I will be using for this fan-created expansion of the Dark Sun world map include ideas from the following threads:

East side of the Sea of Silt

Beyond the Tablelands

And here are some ideas I will be incorporating in some fashion if Spelljamming ever comes up:

Dark Sun Sphere

The Tablelands and Beyond

The Tablelands I
The Tablelands II
The Tablelands and Beyond I
The Tablelands and Beyond II

Giuestenal

The Ruins of Giustenal
New Giuestenal

Chapter One: The Howl of the Carrion King

Tyr Region

The Ruins of Kalidnay Overview

The Riese: Levels 1-2
The Riese -- Side Perspective

The Scarab Hold: The Fortress of the High Templar Ahmun-Ahnpur -- Overview
The Scarab Hold: The Fortress of the High Templar Ahmun-Ahnpur -- The Spires of Apep: The Central Keep

Destiny's Chariot -- Overview
Destiny's Chariot -- Detail

Trading Post of Kelmarane I
Trading Post of Kelmarane II

Battle Market of Kelmarane -- Ground Level
Battle Market of Kelmarane -- Second Level

Temple of Elemental Earth of Kelmarane

Guard Post I
Guard Post II

Sulfuric Baths of Kelmarane -- Overview
Sulfuric Baths of Kelmarane -- Detail

Guild Hall of Kelmarane

Mills


451 to 500 of 3,089 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>

Seiðr wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

Prisoners of the Scarab Hold:

The mojh swerves again, its sudden motion so violent that it seems a wonder that the reptilian scholar's head is not dislodged from its now taut spine,

"Oh, no no no, nonononononononono! You misunderstand entirely!. I wasn't necessarily suggesting we need to make her go back to sleep or anything like that (maybe we will, but that certainly hasn't been decided yet!). I'm just telling you what's going on, so you can know what I know, and we can all make a decision about what to do together, as a group, with one mind on the subject (and also, to avoid the potential to be at cross-odds, such as if I wanted to help her revenge herself, but you wanted to destroy all her seeds, or some such conflict (but you wouldn't want to do that if I wanted to do something else would you, since that would be terrible manners and I am the means you got here anyway and you're obviously not immune to the powers I can offer by means of this great artifact of the Lord of Lords, the Dragon God Himself which I have in my possession...)). Anyway... so she's definitely awake now, and now you know that like I know that (and Ahmun Ahnpur is also awake and he knows that she's awake too, since she woke him up (do you think he was happy about that?))."


Johnny Lawrence wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

Prisoners of the Scarab Hold:

"Well, for my part, the flipped egg definitely seems to the most promising to me, though its reception would of course be highly dependent on the fillings, the oversight of whose specification I have not, perhaps contrary to your expectations, overlooked."

The unhelpful interjection arises from the littorian paladin attached to the Shadowbourne's expedition -- an incredibly gruff and savage master of unarmed combat who hails from the mysterious wastes on the edges of the Diamond Throne. He is sworn to the cause of the dragons, and is a member of an order of holy warriors devoted to the draconic patron deity Erixalimar.

He wields a pair of jagged scimitars that mirror his two immense sabres.

As Arnox enters the observatory, his elaborate plate armor picks up an odd, green-tinted reflection from the strange vehicle visible from the large windows, and which has attracted the attention of both Hastniss and Utrim.

"Well... that can't be good, can it?"


Prisoners of the Scarab Hold:

"No... no it doesn't!" The dracha bellows.

He turns to the mojh,

"Does this delightful priest's recollections offer any suggestions as to what exactly that might be?"


Disfigured Dissident | LN M human | Vigor 39/39 Wounds 45/45 (Thresh 22) | AC 21 (T 14 FF 19) | Fort +9; Ref +6; Will +9 | Perception +2; Sense Motive +10 | Spell Pts 26/26 | Channels 9/9 | Energy Body 5/5 | Claws 9/9 | Mythic Power 7/7 | Immune sickened | *Active Effects: none

Prisoners of the Scarab Hold:
"It's a ship - a flying ship - the likes of which might have sailed out from Balatosh of old..." Utrim watches out the window, slightly mystified.

Is it possible? Could survivors of that ancient city have escaped to this world before their defeat at the hands of the dramojh? But how?


Utrim Obolus wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

Prisoners of the Scarab Hold:

"And not unlike, as well, the Castles in the Sky which predominate in distant Pallembor, the vast lands west of the Diamond Throne that are home to the dragons and their allies. Indeed, a great marvel for all to witness, and to which my trusty confidante and attache Hastniss can amply attest."

The mojh then turns to regard the image visible from the observatory windows, it now being apparent that it has offered this commentary without so much as glancing at the object of these remarks.

A more pensive mood seems to seize the Shadowbourne's angled features as it regards the curious vessel,

"However... this isn't particularly what I was imagining in calling to mind the wonders of old Thartholan and the lands of the west. Indeed, the levitating relics of those civilizations were and are primarily keeps, and this looks very different from any example I can call to mind from the realm of the dragons."

It purses its lips slightly, and squints its eyes, which seems in this case to indicate that the mojh is deep in thought.

"I also don't think we can assume that the gate opens only on to our world, based on my researches in the archives of the high templar that built this keep. Indeed, I think what we might have on our hands here is something more like the phase heart, the ancient dramojh artifact by which these horrors summoned servants from diverse worlds to the ruins of Verdune and Thartholan. This vessel might well have issued forth from some locale far distant from either the Diamond Throne or this cursed planet."


Prisoners of the Scarab Hold:

"But you're not disagreeing that this is likely bad news, right?"


Prisoners of the Scarab Hold:

The mojh beams beneficently as it answers the armor-clad litorian, its facial expression suggesting that it has just received an outstanding compliment,

"Oh, indubitably my trusty knight!"


Max WP/Vigor: 28/39 | Def: 25 | Fort: +9; Ref: +10; Will: +12 | Init: +11 Current Damage (WP: -0) / (Vigor: -0) |
Spell Slots:
-/8/6
| Heavenly Fire: 10 | Ki: 9

Prisoners of the Scarab Hold:

"So, perhaps instead of guessing what it is, we should go and see for ourselves?"


Johnny Lawrence wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

Prisoners of the Scarab Hold:

The litorian knight turns on Johnny, regarding him pointedly as the lion-man considers his response.

Arnox's pair of unnaturally elongated incisors, one of the distinctive physical markers of his tenebrian evolution, glisten slightly with the caustic phlegm distributed by a languid, lackadaisical flick of this long, bright pink tongue, the surface of which is studded with jagged sandpaper like ridges.

Having completed his not un-threatening lip-licking routine, simultaneously suggestive of a slightly amused, somewhat curious, and predominantly piqued state of mind, the litorian responds,

"Well, little fry cook, that is certainly one possible course of action before us. I mean, it's not as is there's any danger involved! I'll tell you what, why don't you just saunter on down there and have a gander at whatever it is that has determined to join us in our present, unexpected excursion, and, when you're good and done, you can hustle back here and tell us how it went?"

Arnox derisively sniffs the air,

"What do you think that will take you, 15 minutes?"

He chuckles slightly, and then appears to have another thought, as indicated by a slight twinkle in the litorian's large, dark eyes,

"If you're especially judicious with your allocation of travel time, maybe you can even manage to prepare them the traditional "welcome to the neighborhood" breakfast, just to let them know we're ever so happy to see them."

He turns back to consult with Hastniss, his brother in arms, as Arnox completes his comments to Johnny,

"You just head on out whenever you're ready, I'll, literally, hold down the fort here for you."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Thri Kreen (Wizard/Psion/Archmage) WP 40 | VP 24 | MP 6/7 | PP 13/27 | SP 5 |HP 4 | AC 17/T 13/FF N/A| F+6 | R+5 | W+9 | Ini +8 | Perc +11

"I thank you Lawgiver, we shall endeavor to stop this calamity, whatever it may be, from taking place".

Pak turns to Dalman and points to the sky, "That flying chariot may not have come from the stars but it did not come from our world. Not proof of anything but a suggestion that the possibility of visitors from the stars do exist and that there may not only be one or two sets of such visitors but many.

Instead of debating these issues, let us take Canaan Ghajar's advice, let us be off. Perhaps in these ruins we shall find some answer that will provide us with the truth of our own past".

Pak considers saying something further but he does not, at least not at this time.

---

Ready to move on!

---

Sorry for the delay, was having a tougher time than I thought with that. I mean I knew it would be tough but...anyway, I'm back.


The egress from the monumental confines of the Pavilion of Mercy is far less eventual than the company's entrance.

Having crossed the vast interior space, they find the same retractable bridge still connected to a nearby dune. However, it begins to retreat as soon as the last member of the party has crossed over onto the sands.

The party then re-enters Destiny's Chariot without any obstacle, the long corridors that slowly slant upward, connecting the ground to the palace atop the immense moving platform are now lighted by oil lamps. In this illumination, the elaborate hieroglyphics and painted friezes that decorate the long galleries of the vessel's interior assume a supernal glow that makes them almost come alive in the unnatural light.

The Lady Almah is pleased to receive the party upon its return, and is especially gratified by the same entrance of her bard into the audience hall.

The water priest Tilocoan utters ancient prayers in thanksgiving for the return of the expedition.

Afterward, the bard Slavathras briefly recounts the substance of the audience with the great Faalcuun. The bard's elegant patron listens attentively, her large, hazel eyes fixed completely on the elf as he skillfully weaves his tale of the last few hours' events.

The stately scion of the Clan Ashtarte Athiratu of House Vordon also makes good on her promise to reward the party for the sage return of her trusted bard. After the elf's report, the Lady Almah directs her seneschal Binyan, a blonde haired, blue-eyed lad clad in a bright red toga and heavy gold gantlets and torque, to open House Vordon's traveling exchequer. The vault is contained in a hidden chamber beneath the Lady Almah's private quarters, where, through a hatch and down a gently sloping ramp, lies a small room. The walls of this hidden locale are riddled with what must be nearly a thousand drawers of all sizes and shapes. The seneschal opens one of the drawers to reveal the private reliquary of Clan Ashtarte Athiratu, a small cache of extremely valuable items.

Everyone choose one highly flavorful and appropriate magical item, either from Legends of Athas, or, if you choose something not Athasian, you have to flavor it in a Dark Sun appropriate way. No blatant power grabs, it has to make sense for your character, and it has to have a little story with it. Work a description of your chosen item into your first post at the entrance of the diamond mines.

Following the distribution of the reliquary, the party is again blessed by the invocations of the water priest Tilacoan, and ushered again onto the sands.

Night is coming on fast, and the shadows begin to lengthen to gigantic, unsettling dimensions on the ring of towering dunes which surround and overlook the ancient ruins of Kalidnay.

The party gradually makes its way from the western border of the dilapidated city, following the impermeable barrier effected by the sphere wall on a northwardly trajectory. With each step, the landscape begins to rise at a greater and greater alacrity, the already high dunes steadily giving way to rocky heights of even greater elevation. The precipice of his ascent terminates to the east of the city, on the opposite side of the ruins on which the party's journey began, and at a precipitous height of at least a mile above the Kalidnay ruins.

The long-neglected diamond mines are a yawning open pit set in the caldera of what seems to be an extinct volcano, or at least a mountain whose summit is hollowed in a manner reminiscent of such a site.

On the lip of the rocky bowl, a number of shattered buildings can be seen, as well as a track for mining carts. These disappear into a jagged maw of rock on a lip overlooking the crevasse. A number of other, smaller entrances are also visible, some of which seem to open upon nothing but empty air from various elevations in the side of the pit. A narrow road, descends from the ledge with the large entrance, down in a series of precipitous coils into the darkness below.

Slavathras begins to speak again as they party finally crests the edge of the bowl, breaking a long silence until then only disrupted by the faint hum of the sphere wall in this distance.


"That cave" he gestures at the large cavern on the ledge overlooking the pit, "was the main entrance to the mines. It is also the primary aperture to the Reise, which contains the monumental vaults of the ancient factories of Kalidnay, as well as the accommodations for this facility's staff. The smaller openings are windows from the web of narrow tunnels the spiral outward from the Reise."

Okay, I need to work on some maps, everyone give me a post with your magic item from the reliquary so I can know what we're working with.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Here's an updated full-color map of the city. Let me know everyone if you have questions, I'll try to keep updating it as necessary.


Female Dwarf Druid 4 / Conjurer (preserver) 4 / Mythic 2 (hierophant) | WP 32/32 (16) | VP 31/31 | PP 5/5 | AC 16/14/13 | Fort +8; Ref +4; Will +10; +2 vs. poison, spells and spell-like abilities | Init +2 | Darkvision 60 ft. Perception +12

That's a great map, looks like you put a lot of work into it. What's the source?


It's a high-res satellite image I've manipulated with paint (changed colors, cut-and-paste other images) in adobe; that's become my favorite way of doing city and area maps for the boards. I'm really pleased with the font for this one, I kept trying to find a good Athasian one.


Female Dwarf Druid 4 / Conjurer (preserver) 4 / Mythic 2 (hierophant) | WP 32/32 (16) | VP 31/31 | PP 5/5 | AC 16/14/13 | Fort +8; Ref +4; Will +10; +2 vs. poison, spells and spell-like abilities | Init +2 | Darkvision 60 ft. Perception +12

As the seneschal opens the reliquary drawer, the dwarf druid takes a small step forward, drawn despite herself to something among its contents. As she catches sight of one item, she makes a small, choked sound in the back of her throat. Among the weapons and artifacts lies a colourful ornament, and it is this that Kethe carefully lifts out and lays against her chest, sighing in awe.

The centerpiece is a huge, iridescent, shield-shaped scale, around which feathers from a dozen flying creatures fan out. The colours are bright and vibrant - the large, deep blue feathers of the aviarag, small crimson ones from the sitak, raakle orange, dustgull gold, aarakocra silver, and more - from razorwings, rocs and kes'trekels. Thin cords of leather, likely from pterrax hide, are affixed to the back of the central scale, allowing the item to be attached to clothing or armour. Entranced, Kethe fastens the cords to her so that the scale lies across her stomach, the colourful feathers fanning out from collarbone to just above the knee.

======================

The climb towards the entrance of the mines is quite arduous, and Kethe struggles to keep pace with the others with her shorter strides. Her endurance serves her well, however, alongside a considerable amount of determination (that some might call stubbornness), so that when they reach the crest she is breathing deeply and evenly, not winded in the least. She takes some time to examine the bowl spread out beneath them, the honeycomb of tunnel entrances and the yawning maw of the cave.

Perception: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (6) + 12 = 18


Perception: Kethe:

The dwarf detects a high pitched, whistle-like keening cascading through the apparently bottomless gulch and the assorted penetrations into its sides. This phenomenon suggests that the various entrances are somehow connected, just as described by the elf. The main entrance appears to have a large, man-made structure surrounding it, a pair of large, carved menhirs.


DECEASED

Going through the reliquary, the elf mentally shrugged. Steel weapons and armor? Shiny stones? He saw the dwarf gingerly pick up a colorful ornament. And then he stopped. There were a pair of boots, which looked...elven? He had seen the symbols on them, long ago. A trader among his people had bought something similar from a Tyrian merchant. It was an old symbol of his people, the meaning of which was lost to time. Smiling he picked them up. Perhaps it was fate that he had found them.

As his fingers touched the boots he felt a jolt of power shoot through his arms. He felt...the urge to run. Like he had never felt before. His smile widened. Eagerly he took off his own worn out shoes and put the new ones on. They were pristine. As if though they had just been made. He knew not the history of the item, but he did know that it was now his.


Thri Kreen (Wizard/Psion/Archmage) WP 40 | VP 24 | MP 6/7 | PP 13/27 | SP 5 |HP 4 | AC 17/T 13/FF N/A| F+6 | R+5 | W+9 | Ini +8 | Perc +11

Pak narows his eyes as an item leaps out at him almost immediately, "Can It be? Here? How did this?" The Kreen took the presence of the ring here as a sign, "This was meant to be. Destiny awaits me or death..."

The Kreen reaches out to pick up a ring of Jade carved in the shape of an ouroboros. Bringing it closer to his eyes he sees the faint inscription on the inside confirming that it is indeed what he thought it to be, an item forged in the Green age by his own people's.

He slips it onto a clawed hand and the ring resizes as if it was always meant to be worn by him.

He steps back to let the others make their selections.

---

As the party reaches the summit he peers about to see if there are any creatures' near which take an interest in the band.

Perception 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (17) + 11 = 28

---

Pak pauses for a moment to gain Psionic Focus.

"Once we have selected a path, give me a moment and I will investigate from afar to ensure that the way, at least initially, is clear".


Male LN Human gestalt unchained monk/psion (kineticist) 6 | overmind 3 | Vigor 113/137 | Wound 36/36 | DR 3/-*, AC 30 t 23 ff 23 | CMB+21 CMD 36 | F+11 R+12 W+11 | Init +12 | Perc +13, SM +13 | Speed 50ft | Stunning Fist: 6/6 | Ki: 4/7 | Power Points: 31/73 | Psionic Focus: 2/2 | Mythic Power: 9/9 | Emissary: 1/1 | Eternal Hope: 1/1 | Hero points: 1 | Denied: 1/1 | Extended Attack: 8/8 | Empowered Attack: 7/7 | Active conditions: Biofeedback, Ethereal (1m)

Rokan looked over the reliquary, his eyes not noticing anything that stood out. After all, he generally eschewed physical attachments, baubles, and anything humanoid-made that would likely just hinder his general freedom of movement.

However, when he closed his eyes his mind's eye saw something else. A warm pocket of psychic energy that seemed to hold some prior being's fragment of knowledge. Delving into it more closely he found that the fragment could be overlaid with one's trained knowledge, and easily.

When he opened his eyes again, he found that it originated from a seemingly simple green stone. Very natural. This shouldn't weigh me down too much.


Pak'cha wrote:

Pak narows his eyes as an item leaps out at him almost immediately, "Can It be? Here? How did this?" The Kreen took the presence of the ring here as a sign, "This was meant to be. Destiny awaits me or death..."

The Kreen reaches out to pick up a ring of Jade carved in the shape of an ouroboros. Bringing it closer to his eyes he sees the faint inscription on the inside confirming that it is indeed what he thought it to be, an item forged in the Green age by his own people's.

He slips it onto a clawed hand and the ring resizes as if it was always meant to be worn by him.

He steps back to let the others make their selections.

---

As the party reaches the summit he peers about to see if there are any creatures' near which take an interest in the band.

Perception 1d20+11

---

Pak pauses for a moment to gain Psionic Focus.

"Once we have selected a path, give me a moment and I will investigate from afar to ensure that the way, at least initially, is clear".

Here is an image of level 1 of the Riese complex. Your party is approaching from the larger entrance, on the east. The center is a pit. You stop on the edge of the crevasse. The surrounding black area are the walls of the caldera of the diamond mine. There is some kind of complex on a cliff to the north on the top of the map, and a cave entrance to the south, on the lower part. Let me know everyone if that is all clear. and you can access and read the pdf. I'd do the fog of war effect if it was convenient, but it's not convenient, so I'd like to just separate character from player knowledge and you'll just operate based on what the pc can see.

Pal'cha: Perception:

The thri-kreen can hear some kind of reptilian susurration, perhaps the shifting of scales, in cave opening to the south, as if there were some great, unseen, beasts lurking at the cave entrance.

To the north, on the complex on the cliff, there is a cacophony of metallic rustling, like those caused by the use of arms and armor or weapon smithing activities. Some guttural voices can also be discerned speaking in an unknown language.


The emissaries of House Vordon finally stand on the edge of the Riese complex, a situation which presents more difficulties than had been originally anticipated.

The narrow roads leading up the mountain on the west of the city finally confront the high walls of the caldera of the diamond mine.

Luckily, the high walls of the caldera surrounding the diamond mine are pierced from both east and the west by narrowly sloping paths, with the latter slightly larger in girth.

Less fortunate for the assembled party, each apparent entrance mysteriously terminates with a sheer cliff, with only the immense absence of the caldera before the terminations of each road.

To the north, a kind of fortress dominates one face of the interior of the caldera, and solidly-constructed wall shielding what appears to be the entrance to some kind of complex. This is the entrance which the elf has described as the main entry point to the factories and other communal chambers.

To the south, another large cavern entrance yawns in the fading light of the oncoming dusk.

A number of other, smaller caverns pierce the sides of the caldera irregularly, but they would appear to be indisputably lesser components of the complex.

When the arrangement of the complex becomes clear to those assembled, the elf begins to speak again,

"Truth be told, I had never before entered within the walls of the caldera, and obtained a complete view of these entrances. It is indeed most puzzling that there appears to be no ready point of access to the mine complex. I wonder if some previous structure was destroyed, or if the former occupants employed flying beasts of burden or platforms levitated by the powers of the mind lords to create an inescapable prison for those unlucky enough to be condemned to labor in the diamond mines of Kalid-Ma."


Male LN Human gestalt unchained monk/psion (kineticist) 6 | overmind 3 | Vigor 113/137 | Wound 36/36 | DR 3/-*, AC 30 t 23 ff 23 | CMB+21 CMD 36 | F+11 R+12 W+11 | Init +12 | Perc +13, SM +13 | Speed 50ft | Stunning Fist: 6/6 | Ki: 4/7 | Power Points: 31/73 | Psionic Focus: 2/2 | Mythic Power: 9/9 | Emissary: 1/1 | Eternal Hope: 1/1 | Hero points: 1 | Denied: 1/1 | Extended Attack: 8/8 | Empowered Attack: 7/7 | Active conditions: Biofeedback, Ethereal (1m)

"The first of many wonders to be figured out, I'm sure. Given the phenomena we've seen around the city so far, I would venture that psionic empowerment is a reasonable possibility."

Rokan responds to the elf's musings. He closes his eyes, places the index and middle finger of his right hand between his eyes, and begins to scan the space above the caldera with his mind's eye.

knowledge (psionics), discernible mechanism or trace thereof of passage over the caldera: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (20) + 12 = 32


Rokan: Knowledge (Psionics):

The cliff edge seems to be smooth, as if shaped extensively by human hands, as well as presenting an appropriate surface to intersect with a kind of platform. Indeed, the edge of the cliff is almost a perfect right angle.

Upon closer inspection, there appear to be groves of some sort, perhaps indications of the apparatus that connected with the psionically-levitated platforms proposed by the elf.

Whatever the answer, none of the platforms seem to be currently in evidence.

However, there is also some kind of station next to the cliff entrance, which might contain the controls for the device. There are a pair of some kind of... handles? Image. These would seem to be the key to operating the lift system, based on Rokan's knowledge of these sorts of psionic technologies.

Behind the 'handles', in the same alcove at the cliff entrance, is an elaborate hieroglyphic frieze Image, an instillation which appears to depict one of the moving platforms. Though the language of the frieze is ancient Kalidnayan, the images themselves seem reasonably clear in their meaning. The handles are the key to operating the platform, which could be summoned by an appropriately powerful psion using this station.


Male LN Human gestalt unchained monk/psion (kineticist) 6 | overmind 3 | Vigor 113/137 | Wound 36/36 | DR 3/-*, AC 30 t 23 ff 23 | CMB+21 CMD 36 | F+11 R+12 W+11 | Init +12 | Perc +13, SM +13 | Speed 50ft | Stunning Fist: 6/6 | Ki: 4/7 | Power Points: 31/73 | Psionic Focus: 2/2 | Mythic Power: 9/9 | Emissary: 1/1 | Eternal Hope: 1/1 | Hero points: 1 | Denied: 1/1 | Extended Attack: 8/8 | Empowered Attack: 7/7 | Active conditions: Biofeedback, Ethereal (1m)

After reflecting psionically for a moment..

"Yes, that of your different theories is in fact correct. The cliff edge here is a perfect flush angle to connect with platforms, and these grooves indicate some apparatus that connected them. Clearly, the platforms are no longer present, so we must find another way..."

He frowns, looking around for other passes, however narrow and however long they would take to traverse.

Perception, scan for non-obvious pathways along the edge of the caldera: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (9) + 11 = 20


Rokan the Ascetic wrote:

After reflecting psionically for a moment..

"Yes, that of your different theories is in fact correct. The cliff edge here is a perfect flush angle to connect with platforms, and these grooves indicate some apparatus that connected them. Clearly, the platforms are no longer present, so we must find another way..."

He frowns, looking around for other passes, however narrow and however long they would take to traverse.

[dice=Perception, scan for non-obvious pathways along the edge of the caldera]1d20+11

Rokan: Perception:

There are no other obvious passages downward. It does appear as if there must be a lift system, based on the evidence currently available, and that this is the primary means of movement throughout the complex.


Male LN Human gestalt unchained monk/psion (kineticist) 6 | overmind 3 | Vigor 113/137 | Wound 36/36 | DR 3/-*, AC 30 t 23 ff 23 | CMB+21 CMD 36 | F+11 R+12 W+11 | Init +12 | Perc +13, SM +13 | Speed 50ft | Stunning Fist: 6/6 | Ki: 4/7 | Power Points: 31/73 | Psionic Focus: 2/2 | Mythic Power: 9/9 | Emissary: 1/1 | Eternal Hope: 1/1 | Hero points: 1 | Denied: 1/1 | Extended Attack: 8/8 | Empowered Attack: 7/7 | Active conditions: Biofeedback, Ethereal (1m)

Turning his head as he scans the sheer surface of the caldera, his gaze finally comes back around to the entrance that they arrived through. He notices a small station next to it.

"Ah, this looks relevant. We walked right past it."

He approaches it and gently rests his hands on the apparent handles, inspecting the hieroglyphics as he tries to figure out the "controls."

"We may yet find a way across..."

Manifests detect psionics

knowledge (psionics), determine usage of platform controls: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (11) + 12 = 23


Rokan the Ascetic wrote:

Turning his head as he scans the sheer surface of the caldera, his gaze finally comes back around to the entrance that they arrived through. He notices a small station next to it.

"Ah, this looks relevant. We walked right past it."

He approaches it and gently rests his hands on the apparent handles, inspecting the hieroglyphics as he tries to figure out the "controls."

"We may yet find a way across..."

Manifests detect psionics

[dice=knowledge (psionics), determine usage of platform controls]1d20+12

The elf notices, pointedly, with a arcing motion of his eyebrow that can only be described as hostile, Rokan's approach to the strange alcove at the entrance of the cliff with its handles and decorative frieze.

"May I advise extreme caution in the present circumstances. I, and thus certainly you, have no idea what is currently living here, and if operating some portion of the mine's mechanism will alert those current inhabitants."

Rokan: Knowledge (Psionics):

The handles need psionic power points to function, provided by a practitioner of one of the psionic arts who possesses the appropriate reserves to make the device function. The frieze seems to indicate that the platforms are located in the very bottom of the caldera, and will rise when directed by the operator at this control station.

It also seems likely that there are several such stations located throughout the complex.


The mul 'natural eunuch' of Raam, who had accompanied the embassy to Faalcuun's Pavilion of Mercy, has also followed the company on this new leg of the journey, and approaches the control station with interest.

"These images look like a vimāna, a flying machine from the legends of Raam. It is said that the ogre magi called yakṣas, who used to rule the human population called the Desi before the advent of Abalach-Re and her horse warriors, used such devices in their wars. There is an ancient scientific text in the Devanāgarī tongue, the language of the Desi, which speaks of them called the Vaimānika Śāstra."


Male LN Human gestalt unchained monk/psion (kineticist) 6 | overmind 3 | Vigor 113/137 | Wound 36/36 | DR 3/-*, AC 30 t 23 ff 23 | CMB+21 CMD 36 | F+11 R+12 W+11 | Init +12 | Perc +13, SM +13 | Speed 50ft | Stunning Fist: 6/6 | Ki: 4/7 | Power Points: 31/73 | Psionic Focus: 2/2 | Mythic Power: 9/9 | Emissary: 1/1 | Eternal Hope: 1/1 | Hero points: 1 | Denied: 1/1 | Extended Attack: 8/8 | Empowered Attack: 7/7 | Active conditions: Biofeedback, Ethereal (1m)

"I am using caution." Rokan snaps at the bard, annoyed. Then, a little more level, "Just assume I'm scanning things when I approach them. Traps and triggers. Arcane, psionic, and mundane."

A brief pause later...

"These are just controls, and they appear to need my psionic energy to operate. That means there is a limit to how much I can do this in a day, and we should be careful to not get ourselves stuck somewhere undesirable. We should also be ready for a fight when I'm bringing a platform to us that we cannot yet see. Perhaps, if we can see its approach and that it entails trouble, I can cut off my own power or even reverse it..." He trails off, pondering.

knowledge (psionics), can platform motion be stopped between destinations and/or reversed?: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (7) + 12 = 19


Rokan: Knowledge (Psionics):

The device does not seem to have a 'track' as such, in the sense that once it is set in motion, it automatically proceeds to its destination.

Instead, it appears, in at least one of its functions, to operate to increase, by several orders of magnitude (i.e., by 100 times the ordinary capability) a psion's use of telekinesis. This increases the base load bearing capacity to 20,500, instead of 250lbs.

Once one of the platforms is summoned from the depths of the caldera, it rises according to the will of the psion channeling telekenesis through the device.

I just looked at Rokan's character sheet, and he doesn't seem to have telekenesis. The idea is that the device magnifies the psionic energy of a controller to move heavy loads around the complex with the platforms. Is there a work around to achieve the same end?


Rokan the Ascetic wrote:

"I am using caution." Rokan snaps at the bard, annoyed. Then, a little more level, "Just assume I'm scanning things when I approach them. Traps and triggers. Arcane, psionic, and mundane."

A brief pause later...

"These are just controls, and they appear to need my psionic energy to operate. That means there is a limit to how much I can do this in a day, and we should be careful to not get ourselves stuck somewhere undesirable. We should also be ready for a fight when I'm bringing a platform to us that we cannot yet see. Perhaps, if we can see its approach and that it entails trouble, I can cut off my own power or even reverse it..." He trails off, pondering.

[dice=knowledge (psionics), can platform motion be stopped between destinations and/or reversed?]1d20 + 12

The mul points at the illustrated hieroglyphic reliefs which stand behind the 'handles' of the control station.

"This reminds me of the stories of the Tāḍa Thaggī, the so-called Mountain of Assassins. It is said that, in ancient days, the yakṣa lords of Raam would use the vimānas to bear their servants, the vicious assassins known as the thaggī or ṭhogī up and down the snow-dusted peak of the mountain in which the ogres kept their enforcerers ensconced. They were purportedly destroyed when Abalach-Re conquered the city, a process which included laying siege to Tāḍa Thaggī. The assassins were eventually starved, and, in later years, replaced by a new order loyal to the sorcerer-queen. The mountain itself has been renamed Jebel al Hashâshīn, in the Bedouin language of the Temujin horse warriors whose Invincible Horde the sorcerer queen led to victory against the former rulers of Raam."


Male LN Human gestalt unchained monk/psion (kineticist) 6 | overmind 3 | Vigor 113/137 | Wound 36/36 | DR 3/-*, AC 30 t 23 ff 23 | CMB+21 CMD 36 | F+11 R+12 W+11 | Init +12 | Perc +13, SM +13 | Speed 50ft | Stunning Fist: 6/6 | Ki: 4/7 | Power Points: 31/73 | Psionic Focus: 2/2 | Mythic Power: 9/9 | Emissary: 1/1 | Eternal Hope: 1/1 | Hero points: 1 | Denied: 1/1 | Extended Attack: 8/8 | Empowered Attack: 7/7 | Active conditions: Biofeedback, Ethereal (1m)

Telekinetic force is a 3rd-level power, so he doesn't have access to it yet. Defy gravity is a 2nd-level power, which I could change to what the Ioun stone provides. It applies to individuals at close range and not the platform itself though...


What about control object, that's a level 1 power, and with the boost of the device, that will achieve the same end...


Female Dwarf Druid 4 / Conjurer (preserver) 4 / Mythic 2 (hierophant) | WP 32/32 (16) | VP 31/31 | PP 5/5 | AC 16/14/13 | Fort +8; Ref +4; Will +10; +2 vs. poison, spells and spell-like abilities | Init +2 | Darkvision 60 ft. Perception +12

Kethe walks right up to the edge of the cliff, tapping the air beyond it with the but of her spear. When her prodding encounters no resistance, the dwarf shrugs and mutters to herself. "I thought I'd check for invisible bridges, just in case." She then crouches, a hand to the ground, pondering if she could create a path to their objective by manipulating the density of the earth and stone themselves, but the distance is too great - the amount of material she would have to transmute in order to carve a new path... no, impossible, even with her newly-granted powers.

Dusting off her hand on her clothes, she joins the small group investigating the control station, her attention caught by the frieze and the mul's words.

Knowledge history: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20


DECEASED

”If we must continue, I do have the power to make up to four of us fall as lightly as a feather. However, it would take me several hours to prepare it. Time we likely do not have, and it would leave me...drained, against any threats below. Is there any other approach to this?”


Male LN Human gestalt unchained monk/psion (kineticist) 6 | overmind 3 | Vigor 113/137 | Wound 36/36 | DR 3/-*, AC 30 t 23 ff 23 | CMB+21 CMD 36 | F+11 R+12 W+11 | Init +12 | Perc +13, SM +13 | Speed 50ft | Stunning Fist: 6/6 | Ki: 4/7 | Power Points: 31/73 | Psionic Focus: 2/2 | Mythic Power: 9/9 | Emissary: 1/1 | Eternal Hope: 1/1 | Hero points: 1 | Denied: 1/1 | Extended Attack: 8/8 | Empowered Attack: 7/7 | Active conditions: Biofeedback, Ethereal (1m)
Sebecloki wrote:
What about control object, that's a level 1 power, and with the boost of the device, that will achieve the same end...

that isn’t on the general psion list of powers. It’s restricted to psions of the psychokinesis discipline.


Kethe Cinderfell wrote:

Kethe walks right up to the edge of the cliff, tapping the air beyond it with the but of her spear. When her prodding encounters no resistance, the dwarf shrugs and mutters to herself. "I thought I'd check for invisible bridges, just in case." She then crouches, a hand to the ground, pondering if she could create a path to their objective by manipulating the density of the earth and stone themselves, but the distance is too great - the amount of material she would have to transmute in order to carve a new path... no, impossible, even with her newly-granted powers.

Dusting off her hand on her clothes, she joins the small group investigating the control station, her attention caught by the frieze and the mul's words.

[dice=Knowledge history]1d20+9

On the north side of the cliff, facing the unknown complex, at the very edge of the precipice, where the stony balcony meets the wall, the dwarf's investigation produces fruit.

The heretofore seemingly neurotic exploration of the empty air suddenly connects with a hard surface -- an apparently invisible ramp that winds around the side of the caldera, providing an alternative, and hidden, means of movement.

The way is narrow, providing space for no more than a single human-sized individual to walk upon its breadth.

Kethe: Knowledge (History):

The mul is accurate in his description of the flying vessels of the previous lords of Raam. They also, it would seem, used this technology to confine some category of their servants -- the assassins being trapped on the mountain peak just as would the workers in the mine.

I'm not entirely sure what Kethe is digging for with this knowledge check, history of what/where?


Female Dwarf Druid 4 / Conjurer (preserver) 4 / Mythic 2 (hierophant) | WP 32/32 (16) | VP 31/31 | PP 5/5 | AC 16/14/13 | Fort +8; Ref +4; Will +10; +2 vs. poison, spells and spell-like abilities | Init +2 | Darkvision 60 ft. Perception +12

Kethe raises her hand to get the others' attention. "I may have found another way. There is an invisible ramp connecting this ledge to... well, to be honest I don't know where it leads. We should perhaps explore this path."

She turns to the mul, smiling. "I am sorry to interrupt your fascinating explanation, for I have heard much of Raam and its history. How interesting that devices used by its ancient rules can be found here."

The knowledge check was in relation to what Husayn mentioned, was trying to see if any of that was ringing a bell, and hoping to be able to go "why yes, my good sir, I have a fair idea of what you're talking about, indeed."


Kethe Cinderfell wrote:

Kethe raises her hand to get the others' attention. "I may have found another way. There is an invisible ramp connecting this ledge to... well, to be honest I don't know where it leads. We should perhaps explore this path."

She turns to the mul, smiling. "I am sorry to interrupt your fascinating explanation, for I have heard much of Raam and its history. How interesting that devices used by its ancient rules can be found here."

The knowledge check was in relation to what Husayn mentioned, was trying to see if any of that was ringing a bell, and hoping to be able to go "why yes, my good sir, I have a fair idea of what you're talking about, indeed."

Husayn turns, seemingly surprised by Kethe's comment, as much as by her new discovery,

"There is nothing for which to see grace, noble druid -- it is just that, given our recent discussions, I... wonder whether the yakṣa lords of ancient Raam might have been... what?... clients? perhaps of these Stoneburners. It makes me wonder what other mysteries the city might hold in its ancient parts. I hope one day we will have an opportunity to explore these questions together in the city which I once called home..."

The mul's voice trails off, as if at once nostalgic, but also imparting a sudden realization of having perhaps spoken to much on a sensitive, even dangerous topic -- presumably his reason for being separated from the environs of Abalach-Re's city state.


Female Neutral Half-Orc Mesmerist 4 / Champion 2 | Wounds 28 (14) | Vigor 43/43 | AC 19; Tch 14; Ff 16 | Fort +9; Ref +10; Will +13| Init +13| Darkvision 60 ft. Perception +8

When the reliquary drawer opens, Canaan is astounded by the sheer gild. Letting the others select their share first, her eyes meander through the collection of items that are scarce in the common lands. It seems that not even the items in the pile of gold appeals to her until she sees a ruby eye among the neat pile, jutting out to make its existence known to her. From then on, the magnetic nature of the ring draws her towards it. Picking it up and slipping it into her finger, Canaan feels another surge not unlike the feeling when lawbringer imbued her with raw power. Yet, the power added to her is not overpowering her and almost make her lose control of herself as before. It gives a warm, comforting feeling. It also made her feels larger than her companions that she met. Soon after the feeling subsides, the mesmerist caresses her ring as if it is a child.

---------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------

She is unfazed by the sirocco of the desert as the company journeys to the mines. Once they reach the peak, she keeps to herself, listen and let the others banter among themselves, giving them the occasional smile each time they address her as they lead.

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Spell-less Ranger/4 - Soul Knife(War Soul)/4 - Fort +7 Ref +8 Will +4 (+2 racial bonus on saving throws against fear and despair effects.) - WP 32/32 VP 28/28

Kuro gasps when the full content's of the vault is revealed to them. it's enormous, the secrets held in this place could occupy a scholar for year's. he's so stunned that he doesn't notice the other's moving ahead of him until they are all almost done collecting their gear. he hurries inside, looking around wildly, after a few minute's he realizes he's nowhere near the entrance and is now lost.

"...Damn it... He mutter's, he has no time to look for something now, he's got to find his way back before they leave him in here. For the next few minute's, Kuro walks down the long hall way's and takes random twists and turns. His stunted psychic abilities probing the area for his companions, washing over nearby containers and getting a ping back.

"....?" Kuro raise's his eyebrow's at the feedback he get's, skulking over to one of the container's and pulling out a single clear gemstone. he rolls it around in his hand, watching how the crystal refracts light and softly suckles on his psychic energy. Curiosity piqued, he feed's the crystal more energy, and to his surprise, the energy forms a bow not unlike his mind blade.

Kuro marvels at the sight, this is a tremendous find...

Guess he knows what he's taking...

As soon as he finds a way out that is.
==========================================
The hot desert sand is a welcome sight to Kuro as they once again brave the desert to the diamond mine. The big pit however...is not.

Kuro slowly makes his way forward to the edge of the gorge, contemplating dropping a rock.
"Is there any plan's to scout ahead? I can see what i can do if that is the plan."


Disfigured Dissident | LN M human | Vigor 39/39 Wounds 45/45 (Thresh 22) | AC 21 (T 14 FF 19) | Fort +9; Ref +6; Will +9 | Perception +2; Sense Motive +10 | Spell Pts 26/26 | Channels 9/9 | Energy Body 5/5 | Claws 9/9 | Mythic Power 7/7 | Immune sickened | *Active Effects: none

Prisoners of the Scarab Hold:
"Very well, litorian. You remain here while the cook and I reconnoiter for more current information on our surroundings than the histories etched into the walls."

"Shadowborn, Hastniss, giant - shall you accompany us, or remain in hiding as well?"


Male Half-Janni, Jinnborn.

Having been seeming lost in a trance, Ja'far is snapped back to reality. The feeling had him sickened, as if he blood was filled with venom.

A familiar voice rings, he glances over to the male archer.
"I'll lend you my eyes and ears we if we're to organize a scouting party."


As the House Vordon embassy weighs with considerable energy the various avenues of exploration, the ruins of the Riese begin, seemingly to stir to life.

Lights, seemingly flames begin to swell to life atop the martialed towers which buttress the high wall which rings the precipitous cliff face on the northern clime of the seemingly bottomless caldera.

The night sky begins to reverberate with heavy resonances of drum beats, the dolorous vibrations marking a kind of grim procession.

Suddenly, the great gates begin to grind open, producing an ear-splitting din.

From the gates a small party of figures pale humanoids leads a badly injured man, wrapped in chains.

Four of the creatures are vastly taller than the others, and one rides what appears to be a rhinoceros or similar single-horned beast.

Many of the details of the party are still obscured by shadow.

They have still, apparently, not detected the presence of intruders to their domain...


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Slowly, in an accordance with an almost dramatic pacing, both the shape and composition of this strange nocturnal delegation become increasingly apparent as the fires of the watch towers kindle to a fearsome life. The, at first guttering, tongues of tangerine, vermilion and gold flames now billow into a roaring cavalcade of voracious plumes. The guttural roar of the sentinel lights atop the tall watch towers that frame the chasm-wedded fortification's gate issues forth in a storm-like bellow. From atop their twin summits, whose heights outside the firelight are swallowed up in the now moonless sky, a pair of intense magenta holocausts, flickering mightily like the eyes of a demon, illuminate the details of the unfolding nighttime ceremonies.

The party of a dozen or so beings are of largely similar appearance, as if they were derived from the same race, despite their various sets of distinctive characteristics.

Beside for significant exceptions, the pale-skinned creatures are slightly shorter in stature than a human male.

Their taut skin is of an unsettling hue that might be compared with bone or the tainted white of a broken egg shell. This pallid dermis is tightly wrapped around a muscular, yet wiry frame, the physical profile of a hunter, not an arena warrior. The slightly hobbling gait of the creatures emphasizes the proportional mismatch of their large, long, and lean feet and arms.

Their large red eyes glow with a fiendish light that presents an almost perfect imitation of the powerful flames kindles atop the watch towers.

Large, bat like ears flicker, as if possessed of independent consciousnesses, each scanning the darkness.

The sheer surface of heads as hairless as their pale bodies complete the profile of their twisted forms.

All wear strange, archaic garments unlike those worn today in the Tablelands, flowing linen skirts whose folds are arranged in an intricate bevy of imbricated rows, resembling something like the petals of a blossoming flower. To these garments are paired large torques, arm guards, and a variety of skull caps and other head gear, all highly ornamented with engravings and colored decoration of inlay or stone.

Four of the party are exceptionally large, perhaps the equivalent of the sorcerer-kings' half giants for this race.

One is mounted upon a single-horned creature, seemingly a rhinoceros, and possesses more significant armament than its companions. It strides through the midst of the assembly, the other creatures adjusting their procession to avoid the thunderous, plodding footsteps of the great beast it rides.

The other significant outlier is a robed specimen that walks beside the mounted entity. Its blood red cloak terminates in an overhanging hood that obscures its face, though the pale, claw-like hands that emerge from the garment's voluminous sleeves suggest that it is of no different genus than the rest of the company.

Two of the creatures haul behind them a badly-injured human male, dressed on in a tattered, soiled loin cloth. A large chain wrapped around his body is gripped on either end by one of the creatures, whose violent motions thus tighten the heavy restraint like a noose as they force the captive before them, to the edge of the cliff. The man bleeds from many bruises and suppurating wounds. One eye is closed by a large, discolored mark, as if his face had been smashed against an un-smoothed rock.

As the procession slowly exits the grinding gates of the fortress, a low chanting begins to rise from within the walls, as well as the ponderous beating of large drums.

Mood Music


The elf crouches down with practiced ease, his movements seemingly instinctual like those of a great hunting cat, His lithe body is quickly swallowed up into the tenebrous embrace of the mantle of concealing shadows cast by the mine's immense caldera shaft, its precipitously overhanging walls throwing the far corners of the gulch into a truly abyssal darkness. The elf seemingly having assured himself that his person is fully concealed from the eyes and attention of the ominous procession of the pale-skinned creatures and their apparent captive, he issues a high-pitched whisper to the rest of the present company,

"See, I told you this way would be dangerous!"


One of the pair of Tyrian druids also interjects a comment, likewise voiced in a high-pitched whisper to his assembled compatriots,

"Their vestiture is exceedingly odd -- it is the same fashion as depicted of the inhabitants of this ancient city in the many and elaborate friezes of Destiny's Chariot. I wonder if these... creatures represent some kind of a remnant of the ancient Kalidnayan people, now a degenerate, twisted root that stubbornly clings to its unnatural life deep under the earth."


DECEASED

Malkaer unsheathed his blade, while he looked on at the alien delegation with hungry eyes. "A question I have is who their prisoner is. Someone who has come to beat us to the prize, perhaps? If possible, I would like to have words with him."


Malkaer Illuvinar wrote:
Malkaer unsheathed his blade, while he looked on at the alien delegation with hungry eyes. "A question I have is who their prisoner is. Someone who has come to beat us to the prize, perhaps? If possible, I would like to have words with him."

The bard snorts in derision, his flayed nostrils forcefully expelling a phlegmatic gust of the steadily freezing night air,

"Well, that intention may present some difficulty, as his attention appears to be, at least to my eyes, presently occupied in a most definite manner, brother runner."

"Besides," he muses, "perhaps he is merely receiving the just due of some infraction. You assume, too quickly, brother runner, that we should cast judgment here."

The haughty elf concludes by clucking his serpentine tongue in a highly unnerving fashion.

451 to 500 of 3,089 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Legacy of the Dark Sun Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.