The Inheiritance of the Crimson Sun (Legacy of Fire AP in Dark Sun)

Game Master Sebecloki

Maps and Images:

Battlemaps:

The Lair of Kchac'Thraa the Inimitable: Shraagroom's Sporulation Chamber -- Battlemap: Round 4
The Lair of Kchac'Thraa the Inimitable: Shraagroom's Sporulation Chamber -- Battlemap: Round 3
The Lair of Kchac'Thraa the Inimitable: Shraagroom's Sporulation Chamber -- Battlemap
The Lair of Kchac'Thraa the Inimitable: Shraagroom's Sporulation Chamber -- Plain View

The Lair of Kchac'Thraa the Inimitable: The Door to Doom -- Battlemap

pngs/pdfs of battlemaps

PNG of Map w/ Tokens
PNG of Map w/out Tokens
The Lair of Kchac'Thraa the Inimitable - The Door to Doom pdf

Current Encounter Maps:

Myceloid Cavern
Earth Drake Layer: Overview
Earth Drake Layer w/our Grid
Earth Drake Layer w/ Grid

Hex Grid

The Ruins of Kalidnay
The Ruins of Kalidnay I: The Ceramic Desert and Outskirts of New Kalid
The Ruins of Kalidnay II: Elder Kalidnay and the Diamond Mines of Khnum-Khamunkhephres
The Ruins of Kalidnay III: The Iridescent Desert and Magma Lake

Setting Maps

The Free City of Tyr
The Ruins of Yaramuke
The City State of Raam

The World of Athas

World Map I
World Map II
World Map III

The Valley of Dust and Fire
The Tyr Region
The Tyr Region and the Valley of Dust and Fire

Some additional ideas from the 'Arena' discussion forums of Athas.org that I will be using for this fan-created expansion of the Dark Sun world map include ideas from the following threads:

East side of the Sea of Silt

Beyond the Tablelands

And here are some ideas I will be incorporating in some fashion if Spelljamming ever comes up:

Dark Sun Sphere

The Tablelands and Beyond

The Tablelands I
The Tablelands II
The Tablelands and Beyond I
The Tablelands and Beyond II

Giuestenal

The Ruins of Giustenal
New Giuestenal

Chapter One: The Howl of the Carrion King

Tyr Region

The Ruins of Kalidnay Overview

The Riese: Levels 1-2
The Riese -- Side Perspective

The Scarab Hold: The Fortress of the High Templar Ahmun-Ahnpur -- Overview
The Scarab Hold: The Fortress of the High Templar Ahmun-Ahnpur -- The Spires of Apep: The Central Keep

Destiny's Chariot -- Overview
Destiny's Chariot -- Detail

Trading Post of Kelmarane I
Trading Post of Kelmarane II

Battle Market of Kelmarane -- Ground Level
Battle Market of Kelmarane -- Second Level

Temple of Elemental Earth of Kelmarane

Guard Post I
Guard Post II

Sulfuric Baths of Kelmarane -- Overview
Sulfuric Baths of Kelmarane -- Detail

Guild Hall of Kelmarane

Mills


501 to 550 of 3,089 << first < prev | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | next > last >>

DECEASED

"Judgement? You mistake me. Intelligence is all that I ask for. I would like to know why he is here, how long he has been here, and what he knows of his captors. I would assume that it would be easier to ply information from a man we rescue and who speaks the same language as us, than one of these creatures." He looked back at the man, as he continued. "And of course, that is if an opportunity can be found."

Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (2) + 11 = 13

Is a rescue mission even a possibility given distance/terrain? Though I suppose with a roll like that...


Malkaer Illuvinar: Perception:

I'm not sure what you're checking for, but that isn't high enough to assess any details beyond what I've already given you.

Let's wait for everyone to post -- it is possible if Rokan wants to move the platforms around or someone has good ranged weapons. However, it's not as if they're going to let him go without a fight, so get ready for that if that's the route you want to take!


DECEASED

Sorry. Should have asked if Malkaer sees any place where they could set up an ambush. But yes, I'll hold off further prodding while the others put in their 2 coppers


Yes, then, the ruling still stands, no useful info on ambush platforms. Otherwise -- very good, we'll wait to see if everyone else is on board with your idea.


Max WP/Vigor: 28/39 | Def: 25 | Fort: +9; Ref: +10; Will: +12 | Init: +11 Current Damage (WP: -0) / (Vigor: -0) |
Spell Slots:
-/8/6
| Heavenly Fire: 10 | Ki: 9

Prisoners of the Scarab Hold:

"Yes, let's actually go do something instead of just sitting here waiting to starve to death."


Prisoners of the Scarab Hold:

The mojh whirls quickly from appraising the vision of the strange vessel in the chamber's large windows, his motion so speedy it seems a wonder that he does not break his neck,

"In principle, I am not opposed, noble companions, but we lack still a common stratagem to effect this reconnaissance... wait, oh no, she's caught up with us again!"


Prisoners of the Scarab Hold:

It quickly becomes apparent that the strange, six winged vessel is not the only aerial craft currently at large within the ruins.

The dragon hunter Esilena Lore and a small company of her anti-draconic rangers known as the Scalbreakers rise quickly into view aboard a platform held aloft by a vast, multi-colored balloon. Upon this stage, the giant and her compatriots are gathered around a heavy trebuchet, and appear to be... loading the monstrous siege engine's titanic sling.

The voice of the company's giantess pursuer rings out clearly in the hot air,

"Well, Shadowbourne, it appears as if we've, once again, reached the end of the line! Come on boys, let's make this one stick!"


Prisoners of the Scarab Hold:

"Gorram! That thrice-cursed giantess... it's all your fault too T'lia Tham!" the dracha concludes by using a more than slightly-insulting diminutive to refer to the mojh.


Prisoners of the Scarab Hold:

"Well, do something with that infernal seed, why don't you! Preferably before she makes us all into meat pancakes even more disgusting than this uppity fry cook's concoctions!


Prisoners of the Scarab Hold:

The mojh hurriedly scrounges about in the pockets of his voluminous robes, and speedily produces the tenebrian seed. It holds aloft the draconic artifact in one hand, allow its dark surface to reflect the late afternoon light,

"God Dragon of Gods and Dragons, I hope this works!"

The entire party vanishes just as the missile from Esilena's craft careens into the observation chamber, causing the earth-shaking collapse of the spire's uppermost structure


Prisoners of the Scarab Hold:

This post joins you up with Table 1, so you don't need to put your posts in spoilers anymore

In a moment, the party of the Shadowbourne reappears, apparently several hours having passed, given the intense darkness of the moonless sky.

It takes the party a moment to adjust to the greatly-reduced light of the new surroundings, but it quickly becomes apparent they are positioned on the edge of a great precipice in some kind of caldera. The high walls of the surrounding mountain bowl terminate in a jagged horizon above which glisten the constellations of this alien planet.

The cliff is of a strangely regular shape, its front carved in an almost right angle as if fashioned by mortal hands.

Though the precipice drops off into darkness, the other features of the volcanic basin are largely visible from the light of the two large bonfires kindled atop a pair of sturdy towers which frame a fortified gate to the left, on another cliff on the northern side of the caldera.

In front of the gates, a party of about a dozen strange, pale-skinned creatures are gathered. One rides a large animal with a single horn. Four are of considerable height, much greater than their compatriots, who appear to be generally slightly less in stature than an adult human male. Another wears deep crimson robes.

They are united in a set of unsettling features -- pale, bone colored skin stretched tautly over sinuous muscles that striate overly-long limbs, bat-like ears, and a pair of hateful, blood-red pupils set in large, epicanthic eyes.

In the midst of this sinister company is a badly-beaten and bleeding male, hauled forward by a large chain wrapped around his body, the motion of which squeezes the poor soul like a metallic snake.

The sonorous beat of enormous drums and sinister chanting in an unknown language fill the night air.

To the right, on the southern side of the chasm, is another cave entrance of some sort.

Most curious, however, perhaps, is the sight visible on the far side of the caldera -- another company perched on a matching cliff on the chasm's eastern face.

They appear to be watching the proceedings of the pale-skinned creatures on the northern side of the chasm.


As the company of House Vordon debates their next actions, a curious phenomenon occurs on the far side of the chasm -- a new party appears to... materialize out of nothingness.

There appear to be six newcomers, two of which have a distinctly reptilian appearance, and one of which seems to be an armored sabre-tooth tiger astride some kind of mechanical beast.


The elf quickly takes note of the apparent newcomers,

"Who might that be?"


Male LN Human gestalt unchained monk/psion (kineticist) 6 | overmind 3 | Vigor 113/137 | Wound 36/36 | DR 3/-*, AC 30 t 23 ff 23 | CMB+21 CMD 36 | F+11 R+12 W+11 | Init +12 | Perc +13, SM +13 | Speed 50ft | Stunning Fist: 6/6 | Ki: 4/7 | Power Points: 31/73 | Psionic Focus: 2/2 | Mythic Power: 9/9 | Emissary: 1/1 | Eternal Hope: 1/1 | Hero points: 1 | Denied: 1/1 | Extended Attack: 8/8 | Empowered Attack: 7/7 | Active conditions: Biofeedback, Ethereal (1m)

Earlier, before the appearance of the new group...

Dalman Ba'al-Haddad wrote:

One of the pair of Tyrian druids also interjects a comment, likewise voiced in a high-pitched whisper to his assembled compatriots,

"Their vestiture is exceedingly odd -- it is the same fashion as depicted of the inhabitants of this ancient city in the many and elaborate friezes of Destiny's Chariot. I wonder if these... creatures represent some kind of a remnant of the ancient Kalidnayan people, now a degenerate, twisted root that stubbornly clings to its unnatural life deep under the earth."

Rokan leaves the platform controls for just a moment to peer over the edge, next to

Slavathras and Dalman.

For all we know, they came through the gate today or at a previous opening and are not of this world. But yes, I suppose they could also be subterranean hold-overs of ancient Kalidnay.

After the new group appears across the chasm, he refocuses on the platform controls and re-considers their options.

So, we could see what this new group is planning to do. Perhaps they'll draw the attention of the creatures. I could operate the platform to attempt to get us into a different position, but I don't think it will be quiet. Do we really want to rush in and yield advantage to two groups? Does the invisible path allow us to proceed through the shadowy darkness of the shaft?

Manifest Missive at Misra

And what do you know of these creatures? Do you think Dalman is right?


Rokan the Ascetic wrote:

Earlier, before the appearance of the new group...

Dalman Ba'al-Haddad wrote:

One of the pair of Tyrian druids also interjects a comment, likewise voiced in a high-pitched whisper to his assembled compatriots,

"Their vestiture is exceedingly odd -- it is the same fashion as depicted of the inhabitants of this ancient city in the many and elaborate friezes of Destiny's Chariot. I wonder if these... creatures represent some kind of a remnant of the ancient Kalidnayan people, now a degenerate, twisted root that stubbornly clings to its unnatural life deep under the earth."

Rokan leaves the platform controls for just a moment to peer over the edge, next to

Slavathras and Dalman.

For all we know, they came through the gate today or at a previous opening and are not of this world. But yes, I suppose they could also be subterranean hold-overs of ancient Kalidnay.

After the new group appears across the chasm, he refocuses on the platform controls and re-considers their options.

So, we could see what this new group is planning to do. Perhaps they'll draw the attention of the creatures. I could operate the platform to attempt to get us into a different position, but I don't think it will be quiet. Do we really want to rush in and yield advantage to two groups? Does the invisible path allow us to proceed through the shadowy darkness of the shaft?

Manifest Missive at Misra

And what do you know of these creatures? Do you think Dalman is right?

Mind Link:

I don't think it's a bad hypothesis. They are wearing garments that appear to the same as those of the ancient Kalidnayans depicted in the artwork of Destiny's Chariot.


Female Neutral Half-Orc Mesmerist 4 / Champion 2 | Wounds 28 (14) | Vigor 43/43 | AC 19; Tch 14; Ff 16 | Fort +9; Ref +10; Will +13| Init +13| Darkvision 60 ft. Perception +8

The sudden appearance of characters makes Canaan almost stutter in her normal posture.

"I must say that they are off-worlders. One of them has a mechanical marvel that is something I have never seen on the face of Athas."

The mesmerist nods at Rokan then turns to the group as a whole.

"No need to be rash. Let us step back and observe them for now while they do not notice us. Let them waste their precious energy and resources confronting each other. The interactions between the two parties will allow us to gauge their strengths and show us their true intentions. Then, we choose whether or not to approach them."


Just so everyone understands how this is going to work so Table 1 and Table 2 can communicate, Misra is a high level Tactician, and will be using her powers to link the minds of Tables 1 and 2. This means that, once it is indicated, all communication should be assumed to be mental unless otherwise specified. It might help to put your dialogue in italics to clarify what is internal/mental dialogue.

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Spell-less Ranger/4 - Soul Knife(War Soul)/4 - Fort +7 Ref +8 Will +4 (+2 racial bonus on saving throws against fear and despair effects.) - WP 32/32 VP 28/28
Sebecloki wrote:

The party of a dozen or so beings are of largely similar appearance, as if they were derived from the same race, despite their various sets of distinctive characteristics.

Beside for significant exceptions, the pale-skinned creatures are slightly shorter in stature than a human male.

Their taut skin is of an unsettling hue that might be compared with bone or the tainted white of a broken egg shell. This pallid dermis is tightly wrapped around a muscular, yet wiry frame, the physical profile of a hunter, not an arena warrior. The slightly hobbling gait of the creatures emphasizes the proportional mismatch of their large, long, and lean feet and arms.

Their large red eyes glow with a fiendish light that presents an almost perfect imitation of the powerful flames kindles atop the watch towers.

Large, bat like ears flicker, as if possessed of independent consciousnesses, each scanning the darkness.

The sheer surface of heads as hairless as their pale bodies complete the profile of their twisted forms.

All wear strange, archaic garments unlike those worn today in the Tablelands, flowing linen skirts whose folds are arranged in an intricate bevy of imbricated rows, resembling something like the petals of a blossoming flower. To these garments are paired large torques, arm guards, and a variety of skull caps and other head gear, all highly ornamented with engravings and colored decoration of inlay or stone.

Kuro eye's bore into the group of...Chimera's he will call them from now. Their forms are alien and new, something he has yet to see, seem's like that's happening quite alot recently. By reflex, he presses against a large rock out of sight, before he slowly peek's over the right. His hand squeezes his crystal foci when he see's the condition of the man in their grasps, but his mind tempers his heart and keep's him from making his way over right away...

However his bow appears in his hands and he form's an arrow before notching it back and aiming at the beast's. Though he doesn't fire, he is already visualizing the nine point's an arrow can pierce to kill, more to get him in the right mind to take a life, then to actually fire.

"Slavathras is right..." Archer grunts, though it is obvious that the cloaked man does not like what he is seeing.

"Upper arm, collarbone, windpipe, temple, diaphragm, rib, testicles, thighs..."

These target's are repeated over and over through his head, eye's flickering to and fro the locations on the monster's bodies. waiting for his companions to chime in before another action is taken. However, his concentration is broken when Slavathras reveals the appearance of a new group close enough to speak. Mind already prepared for a fight, the energy bow is whirled around and aimed in the new group's general direction. His hood, Cowl, and Cloak billowing around in a tornado of red.

"....?!!"


Max WP/Vigor: 28/39 | Def: 25 | Fort: +9; Ref: +10; Will: +12 | Init: +11 Current Damage (WP: -0) / (Vigor: -0) |
Spell Slots:
-/8/6
| Heavenly Fire: 10 | Ki: 9

"So, any idea if the scalebreakers can still find us, or how they found us?"

Looking around at their new environs, Johnny said "And what are we going to do about that?" he asked, pointing at the bat-eared humanoids.

"Or them?" he said, gesturing at the group on the far side."{/b]


Johnny Lawrence wrote:

"So, any idea if the scalebreakers can still find us, or how they found us?"

Looking around at their new environs, Johnny said "And what are we going to do about that?" he asked, pointing at the bat-eared humanoids.

"Or them?" he said, gesturing at the group on the far side."{/b]

"Presumably, my trusty gourmand-attache, our erstwhile pursuers merely followed us through the strange portal that resulted in our arrival in this, I am increasingly beginning to believe, thoroughly dis-likeable planet. I'll admit (I always offer that much when yours truly was in error), that I hadn't anticipated their use of a zephyr, a species of craft I have had only reports of from other draconic spies. The balloon is driven by a bound air elemental of great power (did you know that? quite fascinating isn't it?). I guess they had it hidden on their ship they used to follow us here on the river (it was a big one, don't you remember, I guess it had more storage space (and with more storage!) than we, or more properly I, had fully realized at the time (we/I did have other concerns after all, such as escaping their immediate pursuit)."

The mojh then glances across the precipitous chasm dividing his company from the other party located on the far side of the rift.

"Oh, I wonder who they are," it looks at the sinister procession, "and who they are too" it's voice dropping in some kind of expression of concern.

The Shadowbourne's visage lifts again as he returns his regard to the party directly facing them, "They do look friendlier."

The mojh begins to wave dramatically, with an almost childlike enthusiasm, as it reaches out mentally to the strangers...


The features of the Tyrian druid suddenly freeze, as if she has been arrested by an unexpected sensation. Slowly, her wide, hazel eyes rise slightly to fix on the party of newcomers visible across the far side of the chasm. Misra's lips then close, and she squints slightly in a display of what appears to be genuine curiosity, an impression which is confirmed by her voice arising suddenly in the minds of all her companions,

"The... lizard... waving at us is apparently the spokesperson of this group. He has reached out to me with his mind, but his magic is more limited than my psionic capabilities. I am linking all of our minds so that we can more easily communicate, one with another, as well as avoid what I assume are some considerable language barriers. In any event, the lizard wishes to address our group and you will hear his voice shortly, as well as those of his companions..."


Well hello there everyone, well met and well met! I am T'lam T'listillit of Pallembor, a humble and enterprising representative of the beneficent dragon lords of Pallembor. Myself and my small company are natives of an, I presume, quite distant planet which some call Serran."

"We were unwillingly transported during our escape down the rapids of the River Rieardre, suddenly whisked away to a shadowy lake in the middle of a ruined city.

"We had, until recently found ourselves, by dire necessity, ensconced in what we had presumed were the protective confines of the fortress of the High Templar Ahmun-Ahnpur, which is in an ancient city by the name of Kalidnay. Unfortunately, our pursuers, a particularly bothersome giantess and her sworn rangers, dispelled our apprehensions of any safe refuge in the Templar's former demesne."

"The power of the Dragon God of Gods and Dragons, the mighty Erixalimar's holiest relic, transported us to, well it's not particularly clear this is safety, but here all the same!"

"But now, you see, we have no idea where we are, and so would be eternally grateful for any orientation you might be able to provide."

The mojh turns to regard the strange procession of pale-skinned creatures, what Kuro has dubbed the 'chimeras',

"Hmmm... they don't look very friendly, do they?"


"That was an impressive, almost unprecedented restraint on your part, Tli'tilatom, maybe they won't assume we're all fools for a few more minutes yet."


"I'm reasonably certain they heard all that since the magister, who whatever she is, indicated she was joining the minds of their entire party to ours. You need to be more careful what you say, er think, friend."


"Blast, I think you're right."

As this post displays, everyone needs to be careful what they want to share. Thoughts in the psionic network Misra has created should be in italics, and those words which are intended only for one's fellow party in bold, as before.


Male LN Human gestalt unchained monk/psion (kineticist) 6 | overmind 3 | Vigor 113/137 | Wound 36/36 | DR 3/-*, AC 30 t 23 ff 23 | CMB+21 CMD 36 | F+11 R+12 W+11 | Init +12 | Perc +13, SM +13 | Speed 50ft | Stunning Fist: 6/6 | Ki: 4/7 | Power Points: 31/73 | Psionic Focus: 2/2 | Mythic Power: 9/9 | Emissary: 1/1 | Eternal Hope: 1/1 | Hero points: 1 | Denied: 1/1 | Extended Attack: 8/8 | Empowered Attack: 7/7 | Active conditions: Biofeedback, Ethereal (1m)

Rokan rapidly looks back and forth between Misra and the mysterious new party as Misra announces she's creating the communal network.

Misra, wait! How can you be certain they won't assault our minds...

But it's too late. No sooner does the channel open than a flood of inane babbling pours through and into his mind. As it continues his facial expression and mood turn from sharp concern to confusion and irritation.

He focuses to determine which "voice" is coming from which figure in the group opposite his own.

Well met... indeed. I am simply Rokan. The world you have arrived on is Athas. It is stark, and harsh, and unforgiving. Life is brutal and worthless unless you can manage to keep yours and then it is priceless. Good fortune is nearly impossible to come by unless it is handed to you, and most of us have little. Perhaps you brought some good fortune with you through the portal. Presently, we are investigating the awakening of ancient forces from a time when this world allegedly held a rich abundance of life.

He ponders the lizardman's words and becomes concerned at one specific fragment he picked out of the babbling.

Can you tell us more of this giantess and rangers? Are any of these still pursuing you now?


Rokan the Ascetic wrote:

Rokan rapidly looks back and forth between Misra and the mysterious new party as Misra announces she's creating the communal network.

Misra, wait! How can you be certain they won't assault our minds...

But it's too late. No sooner does the channel open than a flood of inane babbling pours through and into his mind. As it continues his facial expression and mood turn from sharp concern to confusion and irritation.

He focuses to determine which "voice" is coming from which figure in the group opposite his own.

Well met... indeed. I am simply Rokan. The world you have arrived on is Athas. It is stark, and harsh, and unforgiving. Life is brutal and worthless unless you can manage to keep yours and then it is priceless. Good fortune is nearly impossible to come by unless it is handed to you, and most of us have little. Perhaps you brought some good fortune with you through the portal. Presently, we are investigating the awakening of ancient forces from a time when this world allegedly held a rich abundance of life.

He ponders the lizardman's words and becomes concerned at one specific fragment he picked out of the babbling.

Can you tell us more of this giantess and rangers? Are any of these still pursuing you now?

"We, the devoted servants of the Lord of Lords, the Great Erixalimar and His children who rule from the Castles in the Sky are currently unwelcome in the former domains of our lieges. The interloping giants have seized the western reaches of the dragons' rightful ancestral lands, and now oppose its inevitable reclamation."

"One agent of De-Shamod, the giant capital to the west, is Elisena Lore, who has recruited an elite cadre of the giants' dog-like sibeccai allies and servants to train as rangers specifically intended to hunt the dragons and their servants."

"We presume she will continue to seek demise, despite us having, for the moment escaped her grasp."

It is then as if a carefully maintained-facade has fallen, and the creature returns to its normal manner of conversation,

"Well, I don't know any of that yet Hastniss, how by the light of His Signs are we going to get any useful information if we don't talk to them? Yes, I suppose they might be in league with the giantess, but that doesn't seem overly likely to me, does it really to you? Why is he in such a bad mood anyway? I mean, I very well can imagine their might be some fine occasion to shoot something very soon, and then you can feel worthy of your title, monsieur grenadier de arquebus!"


"Now you're doing it"


"Oh, bother, I do believe I am."


DECEASED

Trying his best to avoid *thinking* it in a way that would transmute the message, Malkaer said out loud "This makes very little sense. These creatures speak of gods and rivers. Neither of which exist. They are Ssurrans, are they not? But...if this isn't a trap and this is true...can they return to their world? Could we not go there as well...?" He was speaking out loud at this point, the strangeness of the situation being quite perplexing.


Female Dwarf Druid 4 / Conjurer (preserver) 4 / Mythic 2 (hierophant) | WP 32/32 (16) | VP 31/31 | PP 5/5 | AC 16/14/13 | Fort +8; Ref +4; Will +10; +2 vs. poison, spells and spell-like abilities | Init +2 | Darkvision 60 ft. Perception +12

"Go there...? Why would we? It sounds like a war is raging there at the moment, between dragons and giants. I have no wish to be caught in the midst of that. Besides, we have our mission." Kethe is also making an effort to shield her thoughts and words from the network of minds. She thinks it an extraordinary coincidence that these two groups have emerged at the same time as their arrival at the caldera. What was going on?


DECEASED

”Rivers and gods...” the elf muttered, whistfully, in reply.


Max WP/Vigor: 28/39 | Def: 25 | Fort: +9; Ref: +10; Will: +12 | Init: +11 Current Damage (WP: -0) / (Vigor: -0) |
Spell Slots:
-/8/6
| Heavenly Fire: 10 | Ki: 9

"So, once again, what are our plans to deal with these two groups of creatures?" asks Johnny in a normal tone of voice.


Johnny Lawrence wrote:
"So, once again, what are our plans to deal with these two groups of creatures?" asks Johnny in a normal tone of voice.

"My dearest chef, I don't see at all why you're presenting the question this way. I think the little collective across the rift seem quite friendly and undeserving of our potential violence towards them. Do you think otherwise? What is 'deal with' to you here?"

"Now those creatures," he gestures with his talons at the procession of white skinned monstrosities and their captive on the northern cliff overlooking the yawning chasm, "seem much more dubious, and I have to agree with your insinuation of force in regards to their persons."


Female Neutral Half-Orc Mesmerist 4 / Champion 2 | Wounds 28 (14) | Vigor 43/43 | AC 19; Tch 14; Ff 16 | Fort +9; Ref +10; Will +13| Init +13| Darkvision 60 ft. Perception +8

Canaan blanks out her thoughts and concentrates to shield her mind as best as she can from the off-worlders as she listens to the ongoing mental conversation but does not take part in it for the moment.

"Perhaps we should visit it after our mission. It seems like a lusher world compared to ours."


The procession of the strange, eerily-white skinned creatures which Kuro, the 'Archer', has dubbed the 'chimera', seems to have attained a new stage in their ritual.

From within the complex which rises behind them, a high wall which surrounds the cliff face on its three, outward-facing profiles, the immense drums continue to beat their sonorous rhythms, causing the night air to tremble with vibrations emitted by the taut hides stretched across their enormous hoops. Indeed, their continuing peal resembles more closely the intonations of oncoming thunder, rather than the product of an instrument crafted by mere mortal hands.

As the dozen or so figures in the procession approach the cliff face with their prisoner, the red-robed figure draws near to a kind of altar affixed to a dais perched on the very edge of the caldera's precipice. A series of very shallow steps rise to a rectangular construction, the sides of which are covered with elaborate hieroglyphics. The top of the object is decorated with what seem to be two large stone handles, a pair of ornamentations that match those of the control station on western side of the chasm.

The crimson-shrouded creature slowly raises its hands to the handles, grasping them firmly with a pair of clawed talons.

In a moment, a platform appears from the depths of the caldera, and begins to rise towards the cliff face.

From the cave on the southern exposure of the caldera, and immense roar issues forth, which is quickly joined by two identical thunderclaps of sound.


Johnny Lawrence wrote:
"So, once again, what are our plans to deal with these two groups of creatures?" asks Johnny in a normal tone of voice.

"I vote we restrain from shooting anything until we're absolutely sure that's the best course of action."

The dracha pointedly regards the sabre-toothed litorian as he utters this statement.


Hastniss D'raxsiladaimanos wrote:
Johnny Lawrence wrote:
"So, once again, what are our plans to deal with these two groups of creatures?" asks Johnny in a normal tone of voice.

"I vote we restrain from shooting anything until we're absolutely sure that's the best course of action."

The dracha pointedly regards the sabre-toothed litorian as he utters this statement.

"Well, I usually prefer to shoot sooner than that, as you well know, but I shall defer to your judgment, brother in arms, in this one circumstance."


Rokan the Ascetic wrote:

Rokan rapidly looks back and forth between Misra and the mysterious new party as Misra announces she's creating the communal network.

Misra, wait! How can you be certain they won't assault our minds...

But it's too late. No sooner does the channel open than a flood of inane babbling pours through and into his mind. As it continues his facial expression and mood turn from sharp concern to confusion and irritation.

He focuses to determine which "voice" is coming from which figure in the group opposite his own.

Well met... indeed. I am simply Rokan. The world you have arrived on is Athas. It is stark, and harsh, and unforgiving. Life is brutal and worthless unless you can manage to keep yours and then it is priceless. Good fortune is nearly impossible to come by unless it is handed to you, and most of us have little. Perhaps you brought some good fortune with you through the portal. Presently, we are investigating the awakening of ancient forces from a time when this world allegedly held a rich abundance of life.

He ponders the lizardman's words and becomes concerned at one specific fragment he picked out of the babbling.

Can you tell us more of this giantess and rangers? Are any of these still pursuing you now?

"But if you don't mind, I don't think you entirely answered my question, though you did resolve part of my uncertainty. So, based on what you have said we're still on Athas. Are we anywhere near a city called Kalidnay? That was where we last were, in a fortress on a peninsula jutting out into a dark lake. I'd like to know if we're still anywhere close to there, if you could give me some idea, gentle sir."


Max WP/Vigor: 28/39 | Def: 25 | Fort: +9; Ref: +10; Will: +12 | Init: +11 Current Damage (WP: -0) / (Vigor: -0) |
Spell Slots:
-/8/6
| Heavenly Fire: 10 | Ki: 9

"Deal with does not have to mean kill. It might mean "make a deal with" or "play cards with". You should learn to control your violent impulses." said Johnny quietly.

By the way, are we going to do anything about the ritual they're performing to summon giant beasts? Was your group here to stop it Rokan?


Male LN Human gestalt unchained monk/psion (kineticist) 6 | overmind 3 | Vigor 113/137 | Wound 36/36 | DR 3/-*, AC 30 t 23 ff 23 | CMB+21 CMD 36 | F+11 R+12 W+11 | Init +12 | Perc +13, SM +13 | Speed 50ft | Stunning Fist: 6/6 | Ki: 4/7 | Power Points: 31/73 | Psionic Focus: 2/2 | Mythic Power: 9/9 | Emissary: 1/1 | Eternal Hope: 1/1 | Hero points: 1 | Denied: 1/1 | Extended Attack: 8/8 | Empowered Attack: 7/7 | Active conditions: Biofeedback, Ethereal (1m)
T'lam T'listillit Shadowbourne wrote:
"But if you don't mind, I don't think you entirely answered my question, though you did resolve part of my uncertainty. So, based on what you have said we're still on Athas. Are we anywhere near a city called Kalidnay? That was where we last were, in a fortress on a peninsula jutting out into a dark lake. I'd like to know if we're still anywhere close to there, if you could give me some idea, gentle sir."

You are still in Kalidnay, but at the outskirts. We were hoping to use these mines as a way of passage into the ruined city. So it seems we're possibly headed in opposite directions.

Johnny Lawrence wrote:
By the way, are we going to do anything about the ritual they're performing to summon giant beasts? Was your group here to stop it Rokan?

No, we simply came this way to pass through, only just now, and encountered this scene and the appearance of your party. We are presently just as uncertain about the state of things.


Rokan the Ascetic wrote:
T'lam T'listillit Shadowbourne wrote:
"But if you don't mind, I don't think you entirely answered my question, though you did resolve part of my uncertainty. So, based on what you have said we're still on Athas. Are we anywhere near a city called Kalidnay? That was where we last were, in a fortress on a peninsula jutting out into a dark lake. I'd like to know if we're still anywhere close to there, if you could give me some idea, gentle sir."

You are still in Kalidnay, but at the outskirts. We were hoping to use these mines as a way of passage into the ruined city. So it seems we're possibly headed in opposite directions.

Johnny Lawrence wrote:
By the way, are we going to do anything about the ritual they're performing to summon giant beasts? Was your group here to stop it Rokan?
No, we simply came this way to pass through, only just now, and encountered this scene and the appearance of your party. We are presently just as uncertain about the state of things.

"Oh, that's good to know -- so we're just outside the city, beyond that barrier created by the black spheres. We're not necessarily headed the opposite direction either, we just appeared here after escaping Elisena and her rangers, and we're currently on a journey in search of a path. Indeed, I have the sense from perusing some of the history of your world, as recorded by the High Templar Ahmun-Ahnpur in the archives of his fortress within the city ruins, that you share our high respect for the draconic race, and that we might well be of a common mind. I understood from the templar's records that this world worships dragons as gods, but was quite confused by the apparent assertion that many of these creatures assaulted the former queen of this city, who attempted only to evolve to a more perfect draconic state. Can you tell me more of this matter?"

"There are, in our world, a race of creatures called the dramojh, a fusion of fiend and dragon created by the ancient chromatic wyrms, when the dragons of Serran were still divided by color and alloy. These horrible creatures turned on their creators and conquered the eastern territories of our continent, until they were later defeated by the aforementioned giants. Could Kalid-Ma perhaps have sought some power that would have transformed her into such a being?


Female Dwarf Druid 4 / Conjurer (preserver) 4 / Mythic 2 (hierophant) | WP 32/32 (16) | VP 31/31 | PP 5/5 | AC 16/14/13 | Fort +8; Ref +4; Will +10; +2 vs. poison, spells and spell-like abilities | Init +2 | Darkvision 60 ft. Perception +12

Summon giant beasts? Oh, bother.

"Greetings, I am Kethe Cinderfell, druid of the Forked Tongue and part of Rokan's group." She glances at Slavathras to see how the bard might take that attribution - after all, he was somewhat the leader of their group, unless Kethe had misread the threads of power and authority that he seemed to hold.

"Your story is fascinating, T'lam, but... is what your colleague saying true? Are the pale-skinned ones summoning giant beasts? If so, I don't think we should allow them to continue."


Kethe Cinderfell wrote:

Summon giant beasts? Oh, bother.

"Greetings, I am Kethe Cinderfell, druid of the Forked Tongue and part of Rokan's group." She glances at Slavathras to see how the bard might take that attribution - after all, he was somewhat the leader of their group, unless Kethe had misread the threads of power and authority that he seemed to hold.

"Your story is fascinating, T'lam, but... is what your colleague saying true? Are the pale-skinned ones summoning giant beasts? If so, I don't think we should allow them to continue."

I think we can all see that with our own eyes at this point, actually."

From the darkness of the large cavern entrance on the southern side of the caldera suddenly emerges a large, terrifying shape -- a large, horned reptile encased in scales the color of clotted blood. From it's back emerges a large spine, whose pinions almost scratch the roof of the cave opening as it roars with a tremendous power across the abyssal expanse of the gulch which divides it from the procession of pale-skinned creatures.

Image


DECEASED

Malkaer's eyes went wide as the large, blood-colored reptile roared it's way through the gulch.

Well, S%!&.


Male LN Human gestalt unchained monk/psion (kineticist) 6 | overmind 3 | Vigor 113/137 | Wound 36/36 | DR 3/-*, AC 30 t 23 ff 23 | CMB+21 CMD 36 | F+11 R+12 W+11 | Init +12 | Perc +13, SM +13 | Speed 50ft | Stunning Fist: 6/6 | Ki: 4/7 | Power Points: 31/73 | Psionic Focus: 2/2 | Mythic Power: 9/9 | Emissary: 1/1 | Eternal Hope: 1/1 | Hero points: 1 | Denied: 1/1 | Extended Attack: 8/8 | Empowered Attack: 7/7 | Active conditions: Biofeedback, Ethereal (1m)

Clearly, the time for talking is over...

Manifest Detect Psionics, focusing on the colossal reptile.

Trying a couple possible relevant knowledge skills...

knowlegde (psionics), mythic surge: 1d20 + 12 + 1d6 ⇒ (3) + 12 + (2) = 17
knowledge (planes): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (13) + 12 = 25


Rokan the Ascetic wrote:

Clearly, the time for talking is over...

Manifest Detect Psionics, focusing on the colossal reptile.

Trying a couple possible relevant knowledge skills...

[dice=knowlegde (psionics), mythic surge]1d20+12+1d6
[dice=knowledge (planes)]1d20+12

Rokan: Knowledge (Psiconics), Knowledge (Planes):

The creatures is a fire drake:

rakes are gargantuan, reptilian monsters that use Athas as their personal hunting grounds. Drakes comprise a very powerful, nonintelligent group of creatures on Athas. However, they are not stupid. If natural instinct, cunning, and ferocity were measurable, drakes would surpass many other creatures. They are feared for their size, speed, and devastating abilities in combat, the latter due, in great part, to their very powerful psionics. Many on Athas consider the drakes to be second only to the Dragon in this category.

Drakes are not natives of Athas. The first drakes used tremendous psionic powers to travel from their home elemental planes to Athas, where they found a world much to their liking. Many generations of drakes have been born on Athas since that time.

Humans and humanoids comprise the mainstay of their diet. They will eat inix and mekillots when available and erdlu if necessary. Drakes prefer the taste of carnivore flesh over any other type of meat.

Fire drakes are the most evil and malicious of the drakes. They enjoy inflicting pain for the pleasure of watching their victims writhe in agony. A fire drake’s greatest delight comes from torturing a potential “meal”.

Fire drakes are large, spiny, reptilian creatures with pebblelike skin. Each “pebble” is actually a scale. They are red-and-black mottled, similar in color to the dying embers of a fire, and their skin is very glossy. Fire drakes have four legs. The front two are smaller with very sharp claws, while the back legs are longer and thicker.


Female Dwarf Druid 4 / Conjurer (preserver) 4 / Mythic 2 (hierophant) | WP 32/32 (16) | VP 31/31 | PP 5/5 | AC 16/14/13 | Fort +8; Ref +4; Will +10; +2 vs. poison, spells and spell-like abilities | Init +2 | Darkvision 60 ft. Perception +12

Knowledge arcana: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (4) + 12 = 16
Knowledge nature: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (16) + 12 = 28

That is...

Kethe does not finish her thought, turning to the others and asking aloud. "What now? That there is a fire drake. Very powerful, not native to A-. Ahem."

Switching to the mind network, she reiterates for the benefit of the other group. "That is a fire drake. Not native to this planet, they come from the elemental planes. Very powerful, and possessing strong psionic skills. If I'm not mistaken, this one is about to torture and devour that human prisoner. They enjoy that kind of thing. Evil creatures."


Kethe Cinderfell wrote:

[dice=Knowledge arcana]1d20+12

[dice=Knowledge nature]1d20+12

That is...

Kethe does not finish her thought, turning to the others and asking aloud. "What now?"

Kethe: Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Nature):

The creatures is a fire drake:

rakes are gargantuan, reptilian monsters that use Athas as their personal hunting grounds. Drakes comprise a very powerful, nonintelligent group of creatures on Athas. However, they are not stupid. If natural instinct, cunning, and ferocity were measurable, drakes would surpass many other creatures. They are feared for their size, speed, and devastating abilities in combat, the latter due, in great part, to their very powerful psionics. Many on Athas consider the drakes to be second only to the Dragon in this category.

Drakes are not natives of Athas. The first drakes used tremendous psionic powers to travel from their home elemental planes to Athas, where they found a world much to their liking. Many generations of drakes have been born on Athas since that time.

Humans and humanoids comprise the mainstay of their diet. They will eat inix and mekillots when available and erdlu if necessary. Drakes prefer the taste of carnivore flesh over any other type of meat.

Fire drakes are the most evil and malicious of the drakes. They enjoy inflicting pain for the pleasure of watching their victims writhe in agony. A fire drake’s greatest delight comes from torturing a potential “meal”.

Fire drakes are large, spiny, reptilian creatures with pebblelike skin. Each “pebble” is actually a scale. They are red-and-black mottled, similar in color to the dying embers of a fire, and their skin is very glossy. Fire drakes have four legs. The front two are smaller with very sharp claws, while the back legs are longer and thicker.


Just to clarify as well, the monster is stuck on it's side of the chasm. It's at the entrance of the cave complex on the south, at the bottom of the map. It can't physically reach anyone at present.

501 to 550 of 3,089 << first < prev | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Legacy of the Dark Sun Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.