Doug M's Way of the Wicked (Inactive)

Game Master Douglas Muir 406

Follow the Way of the Wicked, the award-winning AP from Fire Mountain games.

The wickedness continues in Way of the Wicked Part II: The Dark Tower!


7,751 to 7,800 of 12,164 << first < prev | 151 | 152 | 153 | 154 | 155 | 156 | 157 | 158 | 159 | 160 | 161 | next > last >>

Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)

DM for day 1 in Aldencross, is there a temple of Mitra or the small town equivalent?

Priests can be notorious gossips in the right circumstances.


Jax Naismith wrote:

As long as its not illegal, Jax will try peddling his painting skills near the tower.

Do you have any ranks in Profession (painter)? Because if not, your painting is going to very obviously suck, and your act will not be very convincing.

(Profession does allow untrained checks, but you're in the category "untrained labor / assistant", with a nominal value of 1 sp/day. That's not very much.)


Cуровую зиму wrote:

DM for day 1 in Aldencross, is there a temple of Mitra or the small town equivalent?

Priests can be notorious gossips in the right circumstances.

You notice a small chapel in town. It is open and obviously well cared for, but there does not seem to be a priest or cleric present. A few faithful gather for the noon and sunset prayers, but the reader is obviously a lay deacon.

(Here's where just having those ranks in Knowledge: Religion pays off: you know enough about the Mitran faith to know that ordained clerics wouldn't ever lead a prayer without wearing their vestments. So, these guys are just respected members of the congregation who have taken on the privilege and responsibility of doing the daily readings.)

Of course, this does not mean there are no clerics around. Just, there don't seem to be any around today.


M DEAD KILLED BY DMDM Lore Warden 2/Arcane Duelist 3
Stats:
HP 4/45; AC 20(25 w def/CE)/16(21)/14; CMD 19; Init +5; Perception +4; Fort +7 (8 vs Poison), Ref +9, Will +3; Fire Res 1; BP 10/12; Spells Lvl 1 3/4 Initiative +5

Xen will continue his talks with soldiers as they come in and out, learning names and when they might be able to be back by (ie learning there roation schedule) He keeps an eye out for a particular lush who might often stay later.

1d20 + 11 ⇒ (1) + 11 = 12 diplo


M DEAD KILLED BY DMDM Lore Warden 2/Arcane Duelist 3
Stats:
HP 4/45; AC 20(25 w def/CE)/16(21)/14; CMD 19; Init +5; Perception +4; Fort +7 (8 vs Poison), Ref +9, Will +3; Fire Res 1; BP 10/12; Spells Lvl 1 3/4 Initiative +5

FML apparently I am getting into a fight


Meanwhile, here's a bit more of Sir Edmin's backstory! Part 1 can be found here.

Sir Edmin in the West, Part 2:

Here are some things that Sir Edmin did not know.

First, his beloved, the lovely Dagny, had once been a slave. The slavers had been busy in the West for years, encouraging the savage tribes to raid each other and buying their captives. The Royal enforcers had been gradually stamping out this evil practice... but not before young Dagny had spent several years in chains. Hence her intense, visceral, and violent aversion to any sort of restraint or compulsion.

Second, that the lovely Dagny had a secret. We have noted already that she was not a fiend or monster in disguise, nor either a witch or a sorceress. But neither was she exactly as she seemed. What she seemed to be was a very devout young woman, one who regularly attended services at Farholde's Temple of Mitra. What she actually was, was an accomplished and skillful professional thief who was casing the Temple -- the very wealthy Temple -- in preparation for a carefully planned strike on its guarded riches.

(Did we mention that Dagny was very fond of Sir Edmin? For she was. She had not come to Farholde for that purpose. But the life of a professional thief is a lonely one, and sometimes one thing leads to another.)

In this context, it should be added that while Dagny was certainly a criminal, she was not really what you would call wicked. She simply felt that she deserved a better life, and that the Temple was sitting on far more wealth than it would ever find a use for. But she had not entirely abandoned all conscience. And this would bring her into very deep trouble.

This topic of wickedness brings us to the third thing that Sir Edmin did not know (though he was soon to find out): that the local Temple of Mitra had been infiltrated by a peculiar and horrible cult, the devotees of a nameless, shapeless, blasphemous power from beyond the stars. These cultists had managed to suborn and corrupt a junior member of the Temple's clergy. Then the Temple -- which, as we have noted, was excessively wealthy, very complacent, and perhaps the tiniest bit corrupt -- came under the eye of the Inquisition. The young cleric gathered several of his terrified brethren and told them there was a way to defend themselves against the all-seeing eye and deathly power of the Inquisitors... if only they would just make some slight deviations from orthodoxy.

Two years later, the cult had taken over almost all the middle and junior clergy, killing or driving insane those who were not willing to change allegiances. The senior priests, including the local Bishop, were left in fat, happy ignorance; the cult had no need of them. And so the cultists went about their loathsome business, unsuspected and undisturbed. Hence the disappearance of local children, which we have already mentioned: the cult's vile rituals required the regular sacrifice of innocents.

There is a saying that what you do not know cannot harm you. In Sir Edmin's case, this would not be true at all. For the things he did not know were about to combine together to cause Sir Edmin a great deal of harm indeed...


Xenfal wrote:
FML apparently I am getting into a fight

Yes. Yes, you are.

Here, let me roll a Bluff check for you: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13 Mm, so-so. Well, a tipsy soldier has decided that you're bothering him. He's taking a swing at you. Trying to talk him out of it doesn't succeed. He has friends here; they're not attacking you, but they're not trying to stop him, either.

A) Run!

B) Go defensive and keep talking.

C) Fake unconsciousness.

D) Fight back and try to knock him out.

E) Draw steel and kill his ass.

F) Use a spell (describe).

G) Other.


M DEAD KILLED BY DMDM Lore Warden 2/Arcane Duelist 3
Stats:
HP 4/45; AC 20(25 w def/CE)/16(21)/14; CMD 19; Init +5; Perception +4; Fort +7 (8 vs Poison), Ref +9, Will +3; Fire Res 1; BP 10/12; Spells Lvl 1 3/4 Initiative +5

DM:

B) Xen offers to buy another round of drinks for the soldiers Diplo 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (11) + 11 = 22


Female Level 7 Buxom Dairy Queen
Douglas Muir 406 wrote:
You notice a small chapel in town. It is open and obviously well cared for, but there does not seem to be a priest or cleric present. A few faithful gather for the noon and sunset prayers, but the reader is obviously a lay deacon.

Cуровую in the guise of Zhilda the young milkmaid will chat up the deacon, using her Knowledge of religion to ask leading questions, always making sure that she pretends to know less than she does and uses this time as well to find out about the possible identities of the faithful at the fort.

Like a smart schoolgirl pretending not to understand the lesson so she can hang out with the cute guy at study time.

She will show genuine interest in the faith and the men who preach it.

If there are female of the faithful around as well she will make a point to make time to speak to them in a very sisterly fashion.

Knowledge Religion 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22

Diplomacy 1d20 + 7 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 7 + 1 = 27

edit Not bad :)


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)

Good luck Xen, don't hurt your hat!


[roll roll]

Xen, you'll suffer 2d3 + 4 ⇒ (3, 2) + 4 = 9 points of nonlethal damage before the soldier's friends pull him off you. He's quite loud about how he "kicked your ass", but the dispute is over, at least for the moment.


'Zhilda' wrote:


Cуровую in the guise of Zhilda the young milkmaid will chat up the deacon, using her Knowledge of religion to ask leading questions, always making sure that she pretends to know less than she does and uses this time as well to find out about the possible identities of the faithful at the fort.

Like a smart schoolgirl pretending not to understand the lesson so she can hang out with the cute guy at study time.

Okay, let's say that's your Day 1 / Day 6. Here's what you get:

"Oh, yes, there are priests here. The town priest is old Father Jole. He insists on riding the circuit to the outlying towns, though, so he's gone more than half the time. Last summer he fell ill for a month, and we thought we'd lost him. He should be back for this Brightday, though.

"The chief priest up the Tower is Father Dunnigan. Oh, he's a lovely man. Very kind. Very kind. And very learned! Oh, you should hear him expound a bit of Scripture. A real pleasure.

"There are also five acolytes up there -- Brother Lambert, Brother Gregory, and Sisters Talya and Edith. And the fifth one, the quiet one, I can never remember his name. Holly or something. He doesn't talk much, that one. They're all trained as healers for the soldiers, and sworn to service. Father Dunnigan, too -- he rides on patrol sometimes, and they say he's fought in battles in the west. You wouldn't think it to look at him! Such a kind man. He and the acolytes have their own chapel up the Tower, the beautiful Choir Hall. Oh, it's lovely. And sometimes they come down here, if Father Jole is away and it's a holy day, or there's need for a healing. Last summer at High Sun, Father Jole was still sick, so Father Dunnigan and the acolytes presided here. Oh, that was a lovely day."

The deacon is a sincere man in his fifties, whose religious enthusiasm is matched by a prodigious quantity of ear and nose hair. He seems deeply impressed by your interest in spiritual matters, to the point of extending the conversation well beyond the end of service. You have the strong impression he'd like to continue discussing religion with you more or less indefinitely.


M DEAD KILLED BY DMDM Lore Warden 2/Arcane Duelist 3
Stats:
HP 4/45; AC 20(25 w def/CE)/16(21)/14; CMD 19; Init +5; Perception +4; Fort +7 (8 vs Poison), Ref +9, Will +3; Fire Res 1; BP 10/12; Spells Lvl 1 3/4 Initiative +5

would the waters poison the soldiers well, or would it dilute too much?

Also I do make sure to get the soldiers name. I will be killing him before this is over


M Tiefling Magus/Rogue;
Statistics:
HP 169/169; AC:37/21/29; Saves: +22/+23/+20; Init +10; Per +28(See Invisibility), CMD 42
Misc:
Effects: Resist Cold 30, Fly 30', Telepathic Bond
Douglas Muir 406 wrote:
Jax Naismith wrote:

As long as its not illegal, Jax will try peddling his painting skills near the tower.

Do you have any ranks in Profession (painter)? Because if not, your painting is going to very obviously suck, and your act will not be very convincing.

(Profession does allow untrained checks, but you're in the category "untrained labor / assistant", with a nominal value of 1 sp/day. That's not very much.)

Surprisingly, he totally does.


Male Vampire(former Dhampir) Bard(Negotiator) 13/Anti-Paladin/2 - [HP 209/231; AC43,FF36,T22; CMD32; DR/10 magic+silver; F+28,R+29,W+26; Per+31; Init +12]

While the others are casing local taverns, chapels and bar fights, the Judge heads to find a local ceramic or leather craftsman. While there, he will discuss finely crafted and more artistic goods for his sponsor in the south. During the conversation, he will inquire about the resupplying of the troops at the tower and how profitable that must be. Specifically, the Judge is trying to find out anything about when the tower is resupplied - weapons, equipment, food, water, other supplies - how frequently it is supplied, and what merchants serve the tower.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (19) + 12 = 31


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)
Xenfal wrote:
Also I do make sure to get the soldiers name. I will be killing him before this is over

Xen, he's so simpatico, so hands on.


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)
Jax Naismith wrote:
Douglas Muir 406 wrote:
Do you have any ranks in Profession (painter)?
Surprisingly, he totally does.

Wasn't there another charismatic villain who was into painting?


M Tiefling Magus/Rogue;
Statistics:
HP 169/169; AC:37/21/29; Saves: +22/+23/+20; Init +10; Per +28(See Invisibility), CMD 42
Misc:
Effects: Resist Cold 30, Fly 30', Telepathic Bond
Cуровую зиму wrote:
Jax Naismith wrote:
Douglas Muir 406 wrote:
Do you have any ranks in Profession (painter)?
Surprisingly, he totally does.
Wasn't there another charismatic villain who was into painting?

Jax is more like Dorian Gray


Judge Tohram Quasangi wrote:

Specifically, the Judge is trying to find out anything about when the tower is resupplied - weapons, equipment, food, water, other supplies - how frequently it is supplied, and what merchants serve the tower.

Weapons -- he doesn't know much about that.

Equipment -- they buy their equipment here in town, and very good for the local economy it is. At this point they're mostly buying perishable items and replacements for stuff that wears out, so most purchases are not made in a predictable way. Master Sergeant Barhold is in charge of that. He's notoriously honest.

Water -- well, of course the tower has a deep well. And a cistern. And deep cellars that (rumor has it) were well stocked by the last Commander with beer and wine. It could withstand a siege pretty much forever, really.

Food -- Except for Mama Kola's New Moon Stew, the Tower's commissary purchases all its food in bulk from local vendors. Most is eaten right away, but some is cycled through the long-term stores. It's said that the Tower has enough food inside to keep two hundred men well fed for a year, though nobody really knows for sure. But Commander Havelyn wouldn't be anything but well prepared.


M DEAD KILLED BY DMDM Lore Warden 2/Arcane Duelist 3
Stats:
HP 4/45; AC 20(25 w def/CE)/16(21)/14; CMD 19; Init +5; Perception +4; Fort +7 (8 vs Poison), Ref +9, Will +3; Fire Res 1; BP 10/12; Spells Lvl 1 3/4 Initiative +5

Later when everyone meets up briefly. If we can find out what the commander looks like, I could come out and commit some crimes as him. Also did we get the papers incriminating Nimpy?


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)

I assume we all meet not at the inn's main room but in other more nondescript areas, maybe even in one of our rooms if needed so we are not seen as a group.

'He seems rather competent and held in high regard, let's keep that idea, but perhaps use it with one of his top aides or another high ranking individual.'

'Has anybody looked into any possible organized criminal elements in the town? Even a small or minor one that we could buy off and use for information?'


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)
Douglas Muir 406 wrote:
The town priest is old Father Jole. He insists on riding the circuit to the outlying towns, though, so he's gone more than half the time. Last summer he fell ill for a month, and we thought we'd lost him. He should be back for this Brightday, though.

If we intercept this cleric it will be one less to deal with and may force one of those in the fort to at least spend some time away from the fort. Also since he already had a mishap it may not be looked on with full suspicion if we can make it look like an accident.

Further, if something should happen to the priest, maybe Dren could pose as a replacement, and that would at least give him possible access to the chapel in the fort, to consult with the priest there.

I am sure there are a dozen ideas we can come up with, this is the part where we just throw things at the wall and see which is pretty.


Male Human Oracle (FC) 15 Init: +8 Perc: +0 AC:24/14/20 F:+13 R:+14 W:+15 HP:124/124 Freedom of movement, Resist Cold/30, Air Walk 30'

Posing a someone well known poses a number of issues. Better to be someone NOT well known if we sneak into the tower.


M DEAD KILLED BY DMDM Lore Warden 2/Arcane Duelist 3
Stats:
HP 4/45; AC 20(25 w def/CE)/16(21)/14; CMD 19; Init +5; Perception +4; Fort +7 (8 vs Poison), Ref +9, Will +3; Fire Res 1; BP 10/12; Spells Lvl 1 3/4 Initiative +5

no i think she means that Dren would pose as a new priest to take the place of the one who never returned


Male Human Oracle (FC) 15 Init: +8 Perc: +0 AC:24/14/20 F:+13 R:+14 W:+15 HP:124/124 Freedom of movement, Resist Cold/30, Air Walk 30'

Makes more sense now. Possibly. My bluff isn't as good as many others though. If it was a class skill it would be a different story.


Male Vampire(former Dhampir) Bard(Negotiator) 13/Anti-Paladin/2 - [HP 209/231; AC43,FF36,T22; CMD32; DR/10 magic+silver; F+28,R+29,W+26; Per+31; Init +12]

We are talking quite a bit of time to find out that that old priest died and then for the temples to the south to send a new priest. It has to be several days, possibly weeks, for a round trip, with a few days thrown in for the temple to the south determining who would be sent.

I agree with Dren that getting someone in at a low level as a servant would be best. To learn the layout of the main fort and get a general assessment of the stationing of the troops.


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)
Cуровую зиму wrote:

If we intercept this cleric it will be one less to deal with and may force one of those in the fort to at least spend some time away from the fort. Also since he already had a mishap it may not be looked on with full suspicion if we can make it look like an accident.

I am sure there are a dozen ideas we can come up with, this is the part where we just throw things at the wall and see which is pretty.

I am not married to the plan, it may still be worth taking down a lone priest.


Didn't do Jax's day... [roll roll]

The painter attracts some interest. Nobody seems to mind you painting a landscape that includes the Tower. Various people do stop and talk to you. You don't learn anything of interest, but you've definitely established a persona.

Okay, on to the second day in town (Day 7 since leaving Sakkarot). What do you want to do?


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)

DM on the night of Day 6 I will scribe 1 scroll in my room for Dren if he still needs the spell and has funds for ink.

Also before she sleeps for the night Cуровую will cast Alarm and use Fox's Cunning and try to focus her thoughts on where she should try to gather information tomorrow.

Knowledge Local to think where more tidbits can be gained tomorrow 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 10 + 2 = 28


Male Human Oracle (FC) 15 Init: +8 Perc: +0 AC:24/14/20 F:+13 R:+14 W:+15 HP:124/124 Freedom of movement, Resist Cold/30, Air Walk 30'

Dren will continue to work the poor part of town for information about the servants of the tower, any disgruntled ex-workers, and add asking about any not so savory types in the town.

Gather info 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (2) + 11 = 13 But learns little today...


M DEAD KILLED BY DMDM Lore Warden 2/Arcane Duelist 3
Stats:
HP 4/45; AC 20(25 w def/CE)/16(21)/14; CMD 19; Init +5; Perception +4; Fort +7 (8 vs Poison), Ref +9, Will +3; Fire Res 1; BP 10/12; Spells Lvl 1 3/4 Initiative +5

xen continues with the soldiers, becoming there best friend. He seeks more stories of life in the fort, stories of sallying forth to do battle. More tales of debauchery.

he observes who they seem to fear and respect, and how they interact with each other.

diplo 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (11) + 11 = 22


Male Vampire(former Dhampir) Bard(Negotiator) 13/Anti-Paladin/2 - [HP 209/231; AC43,FF36,T22; CMD32; DR/10 magic+silver; F+28,R+29,W+26; Per+31; Init +12]

The Judge continues to work the town merchants inquiring about northern artwork, but always underhandedly asking questions regarding the Tower's supplies, what merchants are allowed in the tower, how many servants other than the soldiers work in the tower, etc.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (5) + 12 = 17

Unfortunately it is a sunny day, and while this does not affect the Judge physically, he is in a generally bad mood, and in need of a few warm cups of his favorite red liquid.


Judge Tohram Quasangi wrote:


Unfortunately it is a sunny day, and while this does not affect the Judge physically, he is in a generally bad mood, and in need of a few warm cups of his favorite red liquid.

I've been rolling for weather, but this is so perfect that I'll say, yes, today is indeed a sunny day.


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)

DM rolled Knowledge Local under Fox's Cunning to try focus Cуровую thoughts on where she should try to gather information tomorrow, maybe somehting will come to her in her sleep.


Zimu sits in her room, clears her mind, and concentrates. She casts a spell to clarify and focus her mind... Sitting and thinking hard while casting buffs for your Knowledge roll is actually a clever idea. I won't allow you to do it regularly, though. It's basically a one-time technique you can use to try to grab some unexpected insight on a particular topic.

Zimu:

Three things happen. First, it suddenly occurs to you that you really should go back and look at Irin's reading again. Didn't you write it down somewhere...?

Second, you suddenly realize with a shock that one of the names you heard yesterday was familiar. Father Dunnigan, the priest at the Tower... someone mentioned that name before, under his breath, in a curse. Who? What was the context? You concentrate harder, trying to remember...

And third, suddenly your concentration is shattered as your cousin Elise's face suddenly comes into your mind. It's not as if she's physically present in your room -- she's not -- but suddenly, you see her face in your mind, very clearly. She looks fantastic; her hair is perfect, her eyes are bright, and she's wearing earrings of simple elegance (that must have cost a couple of thousand gp each).

She smiles. It's a mocking smile... and a triumphant one.

You find you have thrown yourself out of your chair, slam! back against the wall, arms raised to cast your most powerful attack spell.

But the moment passes, and she's gone. (Is there the faintest hint of some so-fine perfume? A few seconds, and that's gone too.)


Xen decides to raise the subject of dwarves.

It turns out there is a division of opinion. The local dwarves are clannish and standoffish, and so not always well liked. However, there's a group of dwarven auxiliaries up at the Tower doing repair and maintenance work. (They are, in fact, staying at the Lord's Dalliance.) Those guys, the soldiers say, are clannish and standoffish... but give respect: they're sworn to serve the Talirean Crown, several of them are combat veterans, and they're all damn fine engineers. If you have to withstand a siege, or a swarm attack by a wave of monsters? Damn right you want to do it from behind dwarven stonework, firing a dwarf-forged ballista that's had regular maintenance from the best.


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)

DM giveth and then DM plays yo yo with your emotions.

DM

Spoiler:
Why would I have a vision dear heartwarming Elise now? Is her own plans converging here at this time?

Cуровую composes herself, checks to see if the Alarm she had cast is still functioning, and with only a slight trembling that she consciously halts when she becomes aware of it sits down and begins to write in earnest.

Three notes. No, she thinks four.

They all bare the same message. She will pass them nondescriptly to the party during their hidden meetings.

The message reads

Read this to yourself then destroy it. Completely.

Let us read Irin's reading once again. It has proved useful before.

Spoiler:
Leave water for solid ground, ascend into air. The Fortress.
The Fortress is strong. It is watched by many eyes. It is guarded by many blades. Its walls are thick and high. See: the White Hero awaits you in his tower. See: the good priest can turn from comfort to the blade. See: there are angels.
You will need to do battle, but you will not take the Fortress by battle.
You will need to use magic, but you will not take the Fortress by magic.

What then must you do?
Where real gold found false love, descend as low as you can, hide, and wait.
Where faith's song rises, faith's light has descended. It will reveal you. Beware.
Know your enemies. Stealth is your tool. Know your enemies. Poison is your tool. Know your enemies. Trickery is your tool.
Your champion is your champion. When you face the White Hero, all of you must fight. But put him to the fore and strengthen him with your magic. If he strikes first, you will prevail.

My ever dear cousin Elise, I have seen her face, I am very worried. I am EXTREMELY worried. Keep an eye out for anything that could even be possibly linked to her.

Destroy this now.


M DEAD KILLED BY DMDM Lore Warden 2/Arcane Duelist 3
Stats:
HP 4/45; AC 20(25 w def/CE)/16(21)/14; CMD 19; Init +5; Perception +4; Fort +7 (8 vs Poison), Ref +9, Will +3; Fire Res 1; BP 10/12; Spells Lvl 1 3/4 Initiative +5

DM this keeps getting lost inthe shuffle of posting. But do we think that using the waters of Lamshtu in the well could work to poison it? I know it would not have the full effect, but a lesser one?

Xen reads the note and burns it. Later on he knocks on Zimu's door.

Zimu:
Xen stands there with his last good bottle of wine and two goblets. You seem a bit frazzled. Perhaps a drink and a dance? To calm your nerves? He smiles charmingly


It would probably have some effect. It really depends. How big is the well? How often do people draw from it? You don't have enough information right now.


M DEAD!! KILLED BY EVIL EVIL DMDM!! Rogue1/Barb (Feral)1 temp hp 14/17 and 9 con (HP 24/25+4 when Raging; AC21/17/15(-2 Raging) ; CMD 16 (18 Rage) Fort +4(6); Ref +8; Will +1( 3); Init +6; Perception +5/6 for Traps; Darkvision

I see ty!


Meanwhile, Jax takes a second day with his easel. [roll roll]. Mm, two things.

One, that nice bridge from the Tower that goes across the moat? Popular name: the Bridge of Death. Forty years back, a bunch of ogres tried storming Balentyne. The Commander opened the front gate... and then dropped the portcullis behind them, trapping them on the Bridge. A lot of concentrated missile fire, including ballistas and magical spells, followed. Final score: 3 soldiers killed by rocks or spears hurled by ogres, entire ogre attacking force wiped out. That's as close as anyone has ever come to storming Balentyne, BTW.

Two, overheard: "I hear a raven arrived at the rookery last night!" "Well, ravens come and go. Mad Martin is always -- " "No, no, I mean a raven with a message. And they say the message went straight to Commander Havelyn. I bet it carried important news!" "Huh. Well, maybe."


M DEAD KILLED BY DMDM Lore Warden 2/Arcane Duelist 3
Stats:
HP 4/45; AC 20(25 w def/CE)/16(21)/14; CMD 19; Init +5; Perception +4; Fort +7 (8 vs Poison), Ref +9, Will +3; Fire Res 1; BP 10/12; Spells Lvl 1 3/4 Initiative +5

that would be from nimpy.


Dren spends a day lurking and sneaking, looking for someone to murder. It's a... good day.

There are several servants that look promising, but you'll probably need a few days to make a good choice. Note that the servants often chat with the garrison and each other, so Bluff is probably going to be an issue too.


M DEAD KILLED BY DMDM Lore Warden 2/Arcane Duelist 3
Stats:
HP 4/45; AC 20(25 w def/CE)/16(21)/14; CMD 19; Init +5; Perception +4; Fort +7 (8 vs Poison), Ref +9, Will +3; Fire Res 1; BP 10/12; Spells Lvl 1 3/4 Initiative +5

diplo to gather info1d20 + 11 ⇒ (18) + 11 = 29

Xen takes the day off from drinking. He alters his appearance yet again and finds the seedier elements...looking for someone that can provide him w large amounts of poison that might help w the fort.


M Tiefling Magus/Rogue;
Statistics:
HP 169/169; AC:37/21/29; Saves: +22/+23/+20; Init +10; Per +28(See Invisibility), CMD 42
Misc:
Effects: Resist Cold 30, Fly 30', Telepathic Bond
Douglas Muir 406 wrote:

Meanwhile, Jax takes a second day with his easel. [roll roll]. Mm, two things.

One, that nice bridge from the Tower that goes across the moat? Popular name: the Bridge of Death. Forty years back, a bunch of ogres tried storming Balentyne. The Commander opened the front gate... and then dropped the portcullis behind them, trapping them on the Bridge. A lot of concentrated missile fire, including ballistas and magical spells, followed. Final score: 3 soldiers killed by rocks or spears hurled by ogres, entire ogre attacking force wiped out. That's as close as anyone has ever come to storming Balentyne, BTW.

Two, overheard: "I hear a raven arrived at the rookery last night!" "Well, ravens come and go. Mad Martin is always -- " "No, no, I mean a raven with a message. And they say the message went straight to Commander Havelyn. I bet it carried important news!" "Huh. Well, maybe."

Jax is going to try and pursue this second comment, if he can. He'll try to spot who said it 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14 and start up a peddler's cant.

Hello! Yes, yes you Sir/madam! Ah, you're features are as handsome/beautiful as the morning dew on a midsummer day. Please, you must let me paint a quick sketch. It will only take a moment, you and your companion need just stand right there, Act as you were before and I will give you a wonderful, if quick, portrait!

He's of course, lying. He just wants th guy to stand close so he can listen to them and encourage them to resume talking so he can capture "Nature in action."
1d20 + 13 ⇒ (2) + 13 = 15 Bluff and +0 Diplomacy using same roll or if both are needed, DM can roll. His painting is down quickly and he's mostly paying attention to the person, none the less 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19 for it.


[roll roll] The good news is, the conversation does continue a bit. Unfortunately, they don't have anything further interesting to say.


"Rat poison? I suppose the alchemist would have some.

"Alchemist? Sure, Galbor's place."

[skip lengthy conversation about how it's a bit unusual to have an alchemist in a town this size, but a hundred years ago Galbor the gnome set up a shop to service the needs of the Tower garrison, and then after fifty years lost interest and moved on to do something else; he gave his shop and practice to a human, on condition that he take the name "Galbor" and always wear a purple hat behind the counter. The current owner is the fourth "Galbor" since the gnome. A discussion of his genealogy is entirely omitted.]


M DEAD KILLED BY DMDM Lore Warden 2/Arcane Duelist 3
Stats:
HP 4/45; AC 20(25 w def/CE)/16(21)/14; CMD 19; Init +5; Perception +4; Fort +7 (8 vs Poison), Ref +9, Will +3; Fire Res 1; BP 10/12; Spells Lvl 1 3/4 Initiative +5

nice

Xen seeks out Galbor.

Vermin Galbor. lots and lots of vermin. I need poison. Lots and lots of poison.


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)

Xen say you have rat problem on the neighboring town, or something that will not cause alarm.

Good find by the way! I'm surprised you didn't think to just sneak in his store and steal some poison later on in a few weeks when we need it.


Bluff check!

7,751 to 7,800 of 12,164 << first < prev | 151 | 152 | 153 | 154 | 155 | 156 | 157 | 158 | 159 | 160 | 161 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Doug M's Way of the Wicked Campaign All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.