DM Stephens Serpents Skull Campaign - Chapter 2: Racing to Ruin (Inactive)

Game Master terok

The adventurers have formed their alliance with the Sargavan government and are leading the way for them to find Saventh-Yhi, the legendary city! Many trials await them before they will have a chance to reach their final destination.


501 to 550 of 1,861 << first < prev | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | next > last >>

Male Human Magus 4(Bladebound)
Attacks:
Asilande +9(1d6+4/18-20x2), Dagger +6 (1d4+2/19-20x2), Longbw +7 (1d6/20x3)
Spellcasting:
CL 4 +6 melee, +6 ranged, Conc +9
Stats:
Init+3, Perc+2,AC19/14/15 HP 37,Frt+5,Will+4,Ref+4,Spd 30',CMB+5,CMD 19,Str 14, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 10

Round 1

IA:Recall Shocking Grasp
SA:Cast Shocking Grasp
MA:Move to -L-1 Spellstrike with Shocking Grasp

Spellstrike attack: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 211d6 + 3 + 4d6 ⇒ (4) + 3 + (2, 4, 3, 2) = 18

Corbius bursts out of the doorway the sounds of words of power echoing as he races towards Umargo. Corbius strikes out at Umargo, his black blade crackling with energy. The blade bites deep and electricity courses through the blade.

Current Status

HP 26/30
AC 21 (cats grace)
Arcane Pool 2/4
Black Blade pool 1/1
Blur till round 39
Cats Grace till Round 38


HP 39/30, AC- 11 (15 MA) T- 11 FF- 10 (14MA), CMD- 12, F +6, R +4, W +7, P +7, In +5

Retcon-

In preparation for the assault, Aedalis cast Unseen Servant, commanding the force to follow him closely until told otherwise. He moved slowly as he continued to maintain his two Fortune hexes, and added a third weave to include Wicewakan into his mind's eye. He then cast Touch of Fatigue and infused the spell into Tilsini's essence, so that his faithful familiar could deliver it upon a successful nip of his teeth.


Re-posting:

Order of Combat Round 1-Showdown with Umagro:
Mihai 20
Wic 12
Corbrius 12
Brotherhood Lacky 10
Aedalis 9
Anton 7
Umagro 9
Tragershen 5
Nim 3

Showdown with Umagro Rnd 1

As Corbrius moves in to attack Umagro, the enlarged man takes a swing at him.
claw atk 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (6) + 12 = 18 dam 1d8 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15 Miss

Corbrius deftly ducks underneath the ill timed swipe and it misses him. He returns the blow with a hit that makes Umagro grunt.

Corbrius DC 15 perception:

You notice an odd wind swirling just in front of you. You could feel a little bit of resistance as you tried to strike Umagro but it didn't slow down your sword.

The two lacky's move up and attack Corbrius.
BA1 moves to -K/-2 Longsword atk 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21 dam 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8 Hit! 1d100 ⇒ 27 1-20% is a miss. Confirmed hit for 8 damage!
BA2 moves to -M/0 Longsword atk flank 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 5 + 2 = 10 dam 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

The order looks a little off. Is Umagro between 7 and 5, or at the same time as Aedalis?


HP 39/30, AC- 11 (15 MA) T- 11 FF- 10 (14MA), CMD- 12, F +6, R +4, W +7, P +7, In +5

Corbrius you still have Fortune every round for the moment btw.


Yep, Umagro is at 9, just after Aedalis but before Anton.

Order of Combat Round 1-Showdown with Umagro:

Mihai 20
Wic 12
Corbrius 12
Brotherhood Lacky 10
Aedalis 9
Umagro 9
Anton 7
Tragershen 5
Nim 3


HP 39/30, AC- 11 (15 MA) T- 11 FF- 10 (14MA), CMD- 12, F +6, R +4, W +7, P +7, In +5

Slowly moving towards the fight 5 foot step south, Aedalis fixed Umagro with a hex-infused glare; whether or not the man looked at Aedalis or not, the baleful magic marred his resilience, in preparation for the warlock's next hex...

Evil Eye on Umagro for -2 to saves. Its being extended irrespective of whether the save is successful, alongside Fortune hexes on Anton Corbrius and Wice.


Umagro shifts 5 feet away from your group and casts a spell.

Spellcraft DC 23:

Spike Stones.

Suddenly the cobblestone courtyard as well as the stone floor of the office you are in turns to a field of sharp stone spikes sticking straight up!

The map is updated with 20ft squares that are filled with stone spikes. Moving through the terrain if difficult movement so Corbrius will not be able to 5'.

Map Round 1 init 9


Note, he is also outside of 30' at this point.


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

They look like 10' squares. Also, I'm traveling today for work and I'm still packing, so I probably won't be able to post my action until I get there.


You are correct, revised map posted below. Basically the jagged stones cover the area up to his men and through Corb.

Map Round 1 Init 9-Revised


HP 39/30, AC- 11 (15 MA) T- 11 FF- 10 (14MA), CMD- 12, F +6, R +4, W +7, P +7, In +5
DM Stephen wrote:
Note, he is also outside of 30' at this point.

But he wasn't on Aedalis' initiative so its all good.


Male Elven Wizard (Diviner, Foresight) 6 | HP 38 | AC:14 | FF:11 | T:14 | CMB:+3 | CMD:16 | Fort:+4 | Ref:+ | Will:+6 | Init:+10 | Perc +0 | St:+3 |

Tragershen will delay until after Nim, to initiative 2.


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

How much of an action would it be to grab an adjacent corpse, position it like a 5' plank leading from one square to the next, and walk to the other end? Any problems or pitfalls to be aware of? Just curious for future reference.

Furious at the Brotherhood thug that hit Corb, Anton returns the favor, launching an arrow from behind the Nimosaur to avoid stepping on spikes. "Who wants to get shot next?"

No movement. Determining cover from top left corner.
Darkwood composite longbow (Deadly Aim, Precise Shot, soft cover) @ -K/-2: 1d20 + 11 - 2 - 4 ⇒ (14) + 11 - 2 - 4 = 19
Fortune: 1d20 + 11 - 2 - 4 ⇒ (17) + 11 - 2 - 4 = 22
Damage: 1d6 + 1 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 1 + 4 = 8


Male Human 6th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +12 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 59 Fort+7(+8 vs disease) Ref+3 Will+8 Spd 20' CMB +11 CMD 23 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

Round 1 Init 3

Nimosaur dashes forward through the shards (10' to -N -2) before leaping the last bit of sharpened ground between Corb and one of the Freemen... (jump to -L 0)

spike stones damage: 2d8 ⇒ (4, 4) = 8
reflex save: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21 (I am assuming this is a successful save)
bit o'luck: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11

jump: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (8) + 13 = 21 vs DC 5
bit o'luck: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (16) + 13 = 29

...landing on the still smooth ground behind them, before continuing past the druid. (to -J 2)

He then slashes at the druid's leg with a talon.
attack: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20
bit o'luck: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22
damage w/talon: 1d8 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10

Wic follows Nim's lead, bounding forward, suffering his own wounds, before trying to leap over a large chunk of the sharpened stones... (15' to -N -2 before leaping to -K -1)

spike stones damage: 3d8 ⇒ (8, 2, 6) = 16
reflex: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18 (save?)
fortune: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8

jump: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (2) + 15 = 17 vs DC 15
fortune: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (4) + 15 = 19

...before landing and moving into flank with Nim and biting at the druid...
attack +flank: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 5 + 2 = 23
fortune: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 5 + 2 = 17
bite damage: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

free trip +flank: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 5 + 2 = 23
fortune: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 5 + 2 = 27 (tripped?)

Current status and effects:
Wicewakan: AC 18 HP 15 of 32
fortune expires concentration
Nim: AC 14 HP 33 of 41
wildshape expires 4- hours
bit o'luck expires round 2

Best I can do in a short amount of time... :P


Male Elven Wizard (Diviner, Foresight) 6 | HP 38 | AC:14 | FF:11 | T:14 | CMB:+3 | CMD:16 | Fort:+4 | Ref:+ | Will:+6 | Init:+10 | Perc +0 | St:+3 |

Round 1, Init 2.

Move to -O-2 and cast Azlanti Glue, targeting Umagro.

Reflex DC 16 save.

Azlanti Glue:

School conjuration (creation); Level sorcerer/witch/wizard 2
Casting Time 1 standard action
Components V, S, M (pinch of tree sap)
Range close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Area One creature
Duration 1 round/level
Saving Throw Reflex (partial); Spell Resistance yes
A globe of sticky resin springs from your hand and strikes the target.
The subject is immediately held in place, effectively stuck to the ground. A failed reflex save means the creature gains the grappled condition and cannot move until the spell expires.
Each round they make attempt to break free by making a successful combat maneuver check or escape artist check at against the DC of the spell as a full round action.
A successful save means the subject gains the entangled condition for 1 round.


Aedalis asserts his magic on Umagro.
Willpower Save 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 23
He resists the effect the best he can but is still affected.

Anton sends a shot into one of the Brotherhood Lacky's, successfully hitting him.

Nim, in Dionsaur form, strides through the spike field taking some minor wounds. He then leaps past the brotherhood men before moving into a position behind Umagro.

Both brotherhood men swing at him as he passes them.
BA1 Longsword atk 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25 dam 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3 Hit!

BA2 Longsword atk 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 5 + 2 = 13 dam 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6 Miss!

BA1 Longsword atk 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6 dam 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10 Miss!

After taking a nick from one of the men, Nim and Wic move into position and attack Umagro, damaging him again, wic is just unable to pull Umagro down...

Wic made his save from the spiked stone. He just missed pulling him down. his CMD is 27...
I need a save from Tragerhsen as well for the stones.

Tragershen moves up, taking damage along the way.
Spike Stones 15' 3d8 ⇒ (7, 1, 8) = 16

He then releases his spell, striking Umagro with the sticky goo.
Reflex Save EE 1d20 + 3 - 2 ⇒ (5) + 3 - 2 = 6 Fail, Umagro gains the grappled condition.


The dust settles after just a few seconds, there has been a fury of activity and hits traded back on forth.

Umagro stands there covered in the Azlanti magic glue, much easier to hit. He roars in frustration.

Order of Combat Round 2-Showdown with Umagro:

Mihai 20
Wic 12
Corbrius 12
Brotherhood Lacky 10
Aedalis 9
Umagro 9
Anton 7
Tragershen 5
Nim 3

No 5' shifts if you are in the spiked stones area. If you move you take damage 1d8 as well as need to make a reflex save to not be reduced to 1/2 movement.
Mihai is up. Remember, AOO's reset at the beginning of each round. Hopefully the map is right, I rushed to get it done before I left home this morning.

Showdown with Umagro Rnd 2


Male Human 6th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +12 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 59 Fort+7(+8 vs disease) Ref+3 Will+8 Spd 20' CMB +11 CMD 23 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

Sorry, forgot to include Wic's final position. Please put Wic in -I -1. Thanks. EDIT: Nevermind, you ninja'd me with the map. There is fine. :)

I also realize that in my rush, cutting and pasting, I used fortune incorrectly. If I had used it properly, Wic's attack would have missed. Please disregard Wic's damage to Umagro.


Male Human (Varisian) Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim archetype) 6

Round 2:

Mihai shifts attention to Corbius as Nim moves beyond his field of influence. Concentrating, Corbius feels the gifted harrow card he bears become chilled and bouyant. His steps are lighter, and mind soaring with echoed song "Fell the big one Corbius, it is the danger here!"

Elysium's Call on Corbius: +2 sacred bonus on saving throws vs charm and compulsion and a +2 sacred bonus on CMB checks to escape a grapple. Finally, targets can ignore up to 5 feet of difficult terrain each round, as if they had the Nimble Moves feat. Lasts for two rounds.


Niced use, Corbrius would have been in a world of hurt if he had to move up to Umagro.
Corb. to go, I will correct Wic's init as well in the next round post...if there is one :]


HP 39/30, AC- 11 (15 MA) T- 11 FF- 10 (14MA), CMD- 12, F +6, R +4, W +7, P +7, In +5

Aedalis abandoned his concentration upon his various hexes, moving beside Nim in order to toy with Umagro's fate, spinning fate to hinder him in every way imaginable.

Misfortune on Umagro. He is still at -2 to saves until end of Aedalis' action. Everyone I have fortuned gets it until Aedalis' action, then it expires.


Male Human Magus 4(Bladebound)
Attacks:
Asilande +9(1d6+4/18-20x2), Dagger +6 (1d4+2/19-20x2), Longbw +7 (1d6/20x3)
Spellcasting:
CL 4 +6 melee, +6 ranged, Conc +9
Stats:
Init+3, Perc+2,AC19/14/15 HP 37,Frt+5,Will+4,Ref+4,Spd 30',CMB+5,CMD 19,Str 14, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 10

Round 2

MA: 5' step to -K0
Swift Action:Recall Chill Touch
SA: Spell Combat/Spell Strike Chill Touch Cast Defensively

Combat Casting: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (14) + 12 = 26Success
Chill Touch Spellstrike: 1d20 + 10 - 2 ⇒ (5) + 10 - 2 = 131d6 + 3 + 1d6 ⇒ (5) + 3 + (6) = 14 Miss
Chill Touch Spellstrike Fortune: 1d20 + 10 - 2 ⇒ (14) + 10 - 2 = 221d6 + 3 + 1d6 ⇒ (3) + 3 + (5) = 11 Hit?

Second Attack

attack: 1d20 + 10 - 2 ⇒ (19) + 10 - 2 = 271d6 + 3 + 1d6 ⇒ (2) + 3 + (6) = 11
Crit Confirm: 1d20 + 10 - 2 ⇒ (18) + 10 - 2 = 261d6 + 3 + 1d6 ⇒ (6) + 3 + (4) = 13

If both hit Total damage 35 points plus 2 DC 14 fort saves or lose 1 Str

Corbius feeling lightened by the divine energy swirling around him easily steps throughout the rough terrain to stand beside Umargo. Chanting under hi breath the air around him suddenly cools as his blade becomes ensconced in frost. He quickly launches two attacks at the giant. His first strike knocks the man off balance allowing him the opening he needs to drive his blade deep into his side. The wounds instantly surrounded by black frost burned skin.

Current Status
HP 26/30
AC 21 (cats grace)
Arcane Pool 1/4
Black Blade pool 1/1
Blur till round 39
Cats Grace till Round 38


Corbrius will still take the 1d8 damage and need to make a reflex save for moving out of the spiked stones.


Male Elven Wizard (Diviner, Foresight) 6 | HP 38 | AC:14 | FF:11 | T:14 | CMB:+3 | CMD:16 | Fort:+4 | Ref:+ | Will:+6 | Init:+10 | Perc +0 | St:+3 |
DM Stephen wrote:

I need a save from Tragerhsen as well for the stones.

Tragershen moves up, taking damage along the way.
Spike Stones 15' 3d8

Reflex save 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11


The two brotherhood lacky's step back into the flank with Corbrius, trying to end the wizard-warrior.

One steps in and readies while the other just steps in.

BA1 moves to -K/1 Longsword atk 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 5 + 2 = 23 dam 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10 Hit! 1d100 ⇒ 97 1-20% is a miss. Confirmed hit for 10 damage!

BA2 moves to -K/-1 Longsword atk flank 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 5 + 2 = 26 dam 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7 Hit! 1d100 ⇒ 42 1-20% is a miss. Confirmed hit for 7 damage!

Potential crit Longsword atk flank 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 5 + 2 = 25 dam 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10 Confirmed hit for 10 damage!

Corbrius' luck finally runs out, one mans blade finds Corbirus' shoulder. He holds Corbrius in place for long enough for the other man to run him through completely. He looks down at the sword appearing out of his stomach before slumping to the ground in a heap.

27 points of damage total.


HP 39/30, AC- 11 (15 MA) T- 11 FF- 10 (14MA), CMD- 12, F +6, R +4, W +7, P +7, In +5

Change of declared action to extend all hexes and use Healing on Corbrius (assuming he is alive, Aedalis knows based on the Scar

Healing: 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12


The sword suddenly shrieks out, Corbrius NOOOO! He is not dead yet, please heal him!
Both men jump back and look down and the sword, obvious fear on their faces.

When Aedalis heals him Corbrius' eyes pop back open, staring at the sky. The blood has stopped seeping from his stomach, though he is still hurting from the wound.

The grin fades from Umagro's face as it is apparent that Corbrius is still alive. He seems to weigh finishing the man off as he lays there but settles his eyes on Nim before attacking him with everything he has...

claw atk 1d20 + 13 + 1 - 2 - 2 ⇒ (17) + 13 + 1 - 2 - 2 = 27 dam 1d6 + 6 + 1 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 6 + 1 + 4 = 14 Hit
claw atk 1d20 + 13 + 1 - 2 - 2 ⇒ (4) + 13 + 1 - 2 - 2 = 14 dam 1d6 + 6 + 1 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 6 + 1 + 4 = 12 Miss
bite atk 1d20 + 13 + 1 - 2 - 2 ⇒ (18) + 13 + 1 - 2 - 2 = 28 dam 1d8 + 6 + 1 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 6 + 1 + 4 = 16 Hit

The Bear man tears into Nim, opening his arm and his leg...leaving him barely standing. As he finishes his attack he steps 5' straight back.


Male Human 6th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +12 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 59 Fort+7(+8 vs disease) Ref+3 Will+8 Spd 20' CMB +11 CMD 23 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

No 5' step for you Mr-I'm-stuck-to-the-ground-with-azlanti-glue-Amagro! (thanks Tragershen!) :)

You also didn't roll the fort saves vs Corb chill touch. Amagro might have had a little less str when he mauled me! ;)

Corb also hasn't rolled his reflex save or damage for the spike stones. :P

Round 2 init 3 (after Anton but before Tragershen who delayed last round)

Bleeding heavily, and on the brink of defeat as well, Nimosaur retaliates in kind, becoming a blur of talons, claws and bites as he tears into Umagro with everything he has...
bite +flank: 1d20 + 9 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 9 + 2 = 24
damage +packhunter: 1d6 + 9 + 1d6 ⇒ (2) + 9 + (2) = 13

talon +flank: 1d20 + 9 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 9 + 2 = 12
damage +packhunter: 1d8 + 9 + 1d6 ⇒ (1) + 9 + (6) = 16

talon +flank: 1d20 + 9 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 9 + 2 = 26
damage +packhunter: 1d8 + 9 + 1d6 ⇒ (8) + 9 + (3) = 20

claw +flank: 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 4 + 2 = 24
damage +packhunter: 1d4 + 4 + 1d6 ⇒ (1) + 4 + (2) = 7
...landing multiple hits.

Wic also lunges in and bites at the distracted Umagro...
bite +flank: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 5 + 2 = 23
fortune roll: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 5 + 2 = 25
damage: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6
free trip: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 5 + 2 = 27
...tearing a chunk of flesh from his leg and pulling the big man to the ground (grappled CMD should be 25 now) before shifting position. (5' step to -I -1)

(total damage done: 46)

Current status and effects:
Wicewakan: AC 18 HP 15 of 32
Nim: AC 14 HP 3 of 41
wildshape expires 4- hours


Male Human Magus 4(Bladebound)
Attacks:
Asilande +9(1d6+4/18-20x2), Dagger +6 (1d4+2/19-20x2), Longbw +7 (1d6/20x3)
Spellcasting:
CL 4 +6 melee, +6 ranged, Conc +9
Stats:
Init+3, Perc+2,AC19/14/15 HP 37,Frt+5,Will+4,Ref+4,Spd 30',CMB+5,CMD 19,Str 14, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 10

Spike Stones: 1d8 ⇒ 8
Reflex Save: 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 4 + 2 = 15

Current Status
HP 4/30
AC 21 (cats grace)
Arcane Pool 1/4
Black Blade pool 1/1
Blur till round 39
Cats Grace till Round 38
Prone


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

Round 2, Init 7

Anton hears Larissia cry out and rushes forward as best he can on the spiky ground, only to see Crobrius's heart's blood dripping off the blade of the thug that the halfling already shot once. "What did I just say??" He buries another arrow in the idiot.

MA: Move 15' to -N/-2
Damage from spike stones: 3d8 ⇒ (6, 5, 1) = 12
Reflex vs. spike stones: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28

SA: Ranged attack with darkwood composite longbow (Deadly Aim, Precise Shot) @ -K/-1: 1d20 + 11 - 2 ⇒ (15) + 11 - 2 = 24
Weapon damage: 1d6 + 1 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 1 + 4 = 9

Current Status
hp 22/34
AC 21


Corbrius' attack did indeed hit with a 22.

The Azanti glue stops Umagro from stepping back, allowing Nimosaur and his animal companion to both leap on the large sized man and savage him to death.
Leg is rendered from body, stomach is opened...both of the brotherhood men that so feared Umagro as the unnatural leader of their group stare in awe as he is overcome by the other "animals" they face.

With no one to drive or motivate them, the men weigh their options and the scene before them before throwing their swords to the ground and putting their arms up.

We surrender...it was all his idea! pointing to Umagro.

In a matter of seconds the battle is over...

Both combats net you 1900xp each.

Equipment found:
5 longswords MW.
5 sets of studded leather.
5 Composite Longbows MW.
+2 periapt of wisdom
1 potion of shield of faith +3
+2 hide armor
22gp


You can easily kill the remaining two men but they offer no resistance.
They are effectively intimidated for the moment so you can ask them questions if you wish.

Jask lives as do the two men that were at the whaling company, simple workers there to watch over the place. He is badly beaten, but nothing too serious.

Sargavan government forces swarm the area about two hours later. After a short period of questioning you are free to go with their thanks.

Jask talks to you just before the government forces arrive, My thanks again for my life. It appears that Umagro was the leader of this group, although I overheard one of the men mentioned a mysterious "benefactor" who had been helping them in the last few weeks with equipment.


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

I had started to get embarrassed about how long we were taking in the recon, but I can see now how that could've gone very differently if we hadn't taken out three in advance.

Anton contemptuously lets the two sniveling worms live. They have better things to do with preparing for their expedition; and with Jask down in a chair, he's able to hug his friend's chest, not just his leg. He winces at the man's grunt. "Oops! Sorry about that, I'm just glad to see you alive." The halfling contributes his modest best to treat the priest's wounds.

Heal: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23


Male Human (Varisian) Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim archetype) 6

Before Anton calls upon his art, Mihai extends the grace of Sinishakti to all who suffer...
Channel: 6d6 ⇒ (2, 5, 5, 6, 3, 3) = 24


Male Elven Wizard (Diviner, Foresight) 6 | HP 38 | AC:14 | FF:11 | T:14 | CMB:+3 | CMD:16 | Fort:+4 | Ref:+ | Will:+6 | Init:+10 | Perc +0 | St:+3 |

Tragershen greets Jask warmly. "I am so glad you are well, my friend. I was quite concerned."

In response to his revelation, "We best look around carefully here for any clue as to their benefactor is. Or was. When they realize their attempt to end our expedition has failed, they may try again."


Male Human 6th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +12 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 59 Fort+7(+8 vs disease) Ref+3 Will+8 Spd 20' CMB +11 CMD 23 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

After Amagro falls, and the others surrender, Nim steps back and resumes his natural form. It is quite obvious that he has suffered grievous wounds as well. Even after Mihai's grace, wounds remain.

Current status:
Wicewakan: HP 32 of 32
Nim: HP 27 of 41

As the investigation gets under way Nim speaks up. I am sure at least some of you are thinking what I am thinking. That this Amagro is the one responsible for the rash of foreigner murders plaguing the city these last weeks. It would seem that someone has pushed them to be more openly brazen in their efforts. As Tragershen says, our targeting may have been more than just a random attack upon more foreigners. Surely one of the groups we did not ally with for our expedition may have seen an opportunity to hamper our efforts by using patsies to do their dirty work.

Nim turns to the remaining lackeys. I think it best you tell us all you know about these "benefactors" unless you wish to share in Amagro's fate...

XP logged. New total is 13536. 1464 to next level up.


We never saw whoever it was...he or she always dealt with Umagro directly. They gave us these weapons...if we knew something we would tell you! says one.

We didn't know anythin' about no murders either. If he done it, it was just him. says the other.


Going to move this ahead...

It doesn't take long to extract the remaining information from the two dolts. The first one appears to have been telling the truth but the second one was lying.
Although he didn't witness Umagro, he did overhear him talking to this "benefactor".

A shadowed man would come to their hideout at one of the men's house. This Brotherhood lackey is a fairly wealthy man and believed in their cause. From the description it may be the other man you captured, the one who said he had connections.
They never saw him, he met Umagro in a different room but he did overhear part of a conversation. It seems this man knew about their plans and supported them. There are no clear clues to his identity but he mentioned their plan going into phase two. This was three days ago.

The Sargavan authorities take the men and you return to your home. Later that evening you are visited by Jask and General Havelar.

Havelar starts, It appears that we have been struck by more bad luck. My aide, Seargent Jothan, has disappeared. The rumor is he ran off to another faction but I don't believe it. He knew about our route as well as our destination and now we are going to lose days, maybe even weeks due to this attack.

Jask continues, We have a idea though. What if we were to find a guide, a seasoned local who could lead you and blaze a trail with shortcuts and deal with the local natives?
We think we know of such a man. If you could find him and convince him to join our expedition then we might be able to make up the lost time and then some. His name is Nkechi, whom locals call the Tempest. He is
very knowledgeable, but can be quite temperamental, and like his patron is prone to fits of rage and madness. The holy man lives alone in a cave atop a jagged seaside cliff face several miles north of the city known as the Pallid Bluffs. The best way to find the mystic’s hermitage, is to approach the Pallid Bluffs from the shore, as
his cave cannot be spotted from above.

knowledge local DC 15:

Nkechi is an aged mystic priest of Gozreh. He is known to be a bit eccentric and very protective of nature and it's beasts.

knowledge local DC 20:

He is said to have beasts guarding the entrance to his domain.

knowledge Geography DC 20:

The Pallid Bluffs are great cliffs form the very edge of a long promontory and drop some 300 feet into the angry sea.
The best route is to take a small boat up the coast and try to row in at high tide when the ocean waters cover most of the rocky shore. You can also travel up the coast on foot, but be warned that the beaches consist mostly of jagged, slippery rocks. Walking there will take at least a day.


Male Human (Varisian) Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim archetype) 6

Mihai raises an eyebrow to the General "Is someone looking to Jothan's disappearance?"


I have men looking for him but his gear is gone as is he. I expect something bad has happened to him, possibly one of the factions. He was a good soldier, I don't believe he would sell his information and just disappear but I could be wrong. His information would have been valuable.


Male Elven Wizard (Diviner, Foresight) 6 | HP 38 | AC:14 | FF:11 | T:14 | CMB:+3 | CMD:16 | Fort:+4 | Ref:+ | Will:+6 | Init:+10 | Perc +0 | St:+3 |

Knowledge Local 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (15) + 11 = 26
Knowledge Geography 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (13) + 12 = 25

Tragershen considers Jask's suggestion.

"I've heard of Nkechi. As you say, a mercurial priest of Gozreh, with beasts guarding him as much as he guards them. If we were to win his aid, we'd have to be respectful of nature and the wild beasts where we are going."

"The Pallid Bluffs are quite foreboding. I believe when we arrived here, we came in from the wrong direction to have seen them. They are massive cliffs, perhaps three hundred feet high for most of their length. We could walk there, but it is rough and dangerous ground. I would estimate it would take a day to get there." The faraway look in the elf's eyes indicate he's calculating something in his mind. "If we were to take a small boat up the coast and row in at high tide, it would be a relatively quick trip, I believe. If we have anyone familiar enough with boating to lead the effort."


Male Human 6th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +12 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 59 Fort+7(+8 vs disease) Ref+3 Will+8 Spd 20' CMB +11 CMD 23 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

Conversation with the General
Nim looks at the General harshly. Was it necessary, and more importantly wise, to share this information with this soldier so early? Why would he need to know the exact route prior to our departure?

How many others know our "valuable" information?

Conversation about Nkechi
I believe I will have no problems with respecting nature and wild animals...

Do we all need to go? I could fly there and make our request. Or I could deliver a message in animal form. Requesting a meeting...

If you think we should all go in person, and we need a boat with someone experienced to operate it, I'm certain the whaling company can set us up. They shouldn't have issue with extending us the courtesy considering the recent events...


He has been my personal assistant for several years. He was helping me plan out the expedition. Supplies, pack animals, way stops. As you can imagine planning something like that requires more than one person and not knowing the route would severely hamper our ability to plan it properly.
If he has fled he will be executed, if not I would kill the person who hurt him myself!


Male Human 6th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +12 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 59 Fort+7(+8 vs disease) Ref+3 Will+8 Spd 20' CMB +11 CMD 23 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

It seems to me that this "small" expedition is growing larger than is perhaps wise. It won't be difficult to figure out where we are going with a group so numerous and unwieldy. Our competitors will only have to follow the swath of destruction we blaze into the jungle, leading anyone who wishes it, right to the lost city.

This expedition is to locate and explore the ruins, no? Not colonize it. Wouldn't a smaller group be more suitable to the task?

Nim begins to have doubts about the expedition and choosing the government to ally with. So far it has brought no boon but rather trouble at all turns. Something seemingly likely to continue into the future.


This is an expedition to that will probably be in place for years, I would think the main expedition would probably be around 100 men including support staff.
Most people who try to follow us wil probably die in the attempt, where we go is not an easy area to go or stay...the area is supposed to be infested with dealy monsters as well.
You are the advanced group, helping blaze the trail for us and get us there ahead of the other groups, don't worry about our group. We will be fine once we get going and get our lead from you.
I am fine with other groups following behind us as long as we get there first, maintain a strategic advantage over them, and get one of the best sites to explore the city! Using magic they will be able to follow us anyways.
You plan your part and we will plan ours!


Male Human 6th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +12 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 59 Fort+7(+8 vs disease) Ref+3 Will+8 Spd 20' CMB +11 CMD 23 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

Nim's voice had been one of concern previously, but that began to change as he continued his discussion with the General. He did not raise his voice but rather sternly responded to the General.

It is interesting that you would take such a stance and tone. Since we have allied with you, the expedition supplies and warehouse has been set on fire, Jask has been kidnapped and threatened with execution, and an aide privy to sensitive information, that we provided in secrecy and trust, has gone missing. The government has also been unable to solve the mysterious murders plaguing the city as of late. Even going so far as to accuse us of involvement.

Conversely, we dealt with the arson, rescued Jask and defeated the Freeman's revolt, very likely putting an end to the murder spree.

I am sorry to say General, but my confidence and trust is starting to wane in regards to what the government is offering in terms of "support".

So far your involvement in this joint endeavour has been a series of unmitigated failures. Surely the government of Saragava can bring enough resources together to assure the continued success and future of our venture?

You demand we do our part, but recent events seem to indicate it is not us who are in question so far here. How do you propose to rectify this in the future?


Careful Nim when you say "your" unless you want to end up on my bad side as well. I haven't been involved with any of these matters until recently.
Someone or some group is much more brazen in their efforts to stop or delay us than any of us would have expected.
Did you imagine another faction might kill and kidnap my men as well as burn our supplies? If so why didn't you speak up?
he says sarcastically.
It is easy to assign blame after the fact. We are trying to mitigate our errors through this guide as well as additional precautions going forward. Now I have to see to my dead men and the families they left behind.
He strides off, anger on his face leaving Jask to continue any conversations....


I wouldn't bring it back up with the general again Nim, he takes his men's safety quite seriously and Jothan was a trusted aide, he obviously blames himself already.
Putting that aside are you willing to try and get this Guide on our side tomorrow?


Male Human 6th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +12 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 59 Fort+7(+8 vs disease) Ref+3 Will+8 Spd 20' CMB +11 CMD 23 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

Nim allows the General to leave, and attempt to save face, before addressing his concerns further with Jask.

As a General, and the the lead representative of the Saragavan Government in this venture, is he not ultimately responsible for the actions or inactions of those under him and by proxy, those he represents? I would think a man of his position would understand the difference between you, meaning yourself, and you, meaning the collective you.

The fact he did not foresee the possibility of hostile interference and sabotage does nothing to assuage my concerns. We have been acting under that very assumption ourselves since we arrived. It did not dawn upon me that he would not be as well. And his sarcasm is unbecoming of a man of his position.

I am not assigning blame... there is no question where it lies in my opinion. If we are to work together we need assurances that things will not be so lacking in the future. Instead of providing that, he seeks to threaten us further.

The safety of everyone involved is also of prime concern for us. It is not solely his.

All that aside, if it is the wish of the group, yes, I will help seek out this guide...

501 to 550 of 1,861 << first < prev | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Stephens Serpents Skull Campaign - Chapter 2: Racing to Ruin All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.