An Ancient Evil

Game Master Celestial Healer

The kingdom of Leyland is in the midst of change. New technology and new social structures are taking the place of the old ways. In the midst of this, an ancient evil is awakening and threatening this prosperous nation. It falls upon a band of heroes to face this menace.


1,301 to 1,350 of 1,430 << first < prev | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | next > last >>

Ill give it a shot. I've got some time


Smitty mimics Jerry and readies his sword on the flat

I am assuming a bullet can't be termed 'non-lethal'

Melee Masterwork Longsword non-lethal: 1d20 + 6 - 4 ⇒ (14) + 6 - 4 = 161d8 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8


Trina turns her glaive to the flat as well

Silversheen glaive non-lethal: 1d20 + 7 - 4 ⇒ (6) + 7 - 4 = 91d10 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7


46/46, AC 11

Reflex: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10

The nobleman looks on wide-eyed as the professor sprays fire at through the doorway, he tries to duck behind the door-jamb but finds it unwieldy. Smouldering he regards the professor with a trifle of alarm; "I knew a Swarmi, who could breath fire.... but most of my teachers could only do it figuratively."


F Elf Alchemist 4 {Init +3; Perception +8 (llv); HP 25/35}

"Thank you, Caladryl," Sylvia says with some dignity, which is immediately lost as she begins screaming at Hinzackle. "Professor! I have a good mind to report you to the ethics committee! Now stop it and talk to us!" She pulls a vial and quaffs the contents, then moves carefully towards the door to Hinzackle's room.

Drink mutagen (+2 natural armor/+4 Dex/-2 Wis) and move to I13.


Smitty and Trina swing at the mad professor, hoping to subdue him, but find him too difficult to pin down and swat properly.

Hinzackle just laughs at Sylvia's threat. "The committees and deans and department chairs are mere specks upon the surface of an anthill before giants that will swallow them up like the sea!" It is possible that series of metaphors made sense in his deluded brain.

Jerry is up.


46/46, AC 11

"Is that anyway to talk about your colleagues?" Jerry reprimands, thinking silently to himself in a dry tone; 'Yes, it probably is.'

However after the upswing he brings the flat of the blade down, like a workman trying to drive a nail into the floorboards.

Attack (Non-Lethal): 1d20 + 7 - 4 ⇒ (20) + 7 - 4 = 23
Damage: 2d6 + 3 ⇒ (4, 3) + 3 = 10
Edit: Crit Chance: 1d20 + 7 - 4 ⇒ (17) + 7 - 4 = 20
Damage: 2d6 + 3 ⇒ (1, 1) + 3 = 5


Jerry strikes the professor again solidly. He responds by smiling a crazed smile and breathing more fire.

Smitty, Trina, and Jerry take 2d6 ⇒ (2, 1) = 3 fire damage. DC 15 Reflex save for half.

Smitty save: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17
Trina save: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14

MAP

All PCs are up.


Male Elven Spellslinger 4 AC 12 HP 23

Faenor aims his gun at the professor again

Elianu!!

Casting >Color Spray<

DC 14 will


F Elf Alchemist 4 {Init +3; Perception +8 (llv); HP 25/35}

Sylvia is up to 25 hp after Caladral's healing.

Sylvia pulls a vial from her bandolier and drinks, then squeezes past her comrades into the room to address the crazed gnome, empty hands held up placatingly. "Professor! Stop it! We don't want to fight. We're here with a colleague of Professor Laveness's. She told him you made a very important discovery and that you could reveal to us what the speaker told you. Beginning of a new era! Most important discovery in history! Please, tell us what's happening. We can help you herald the new age, be your first followers. What did the speaker say? Where is Professor Laveness?"

Drink potion of cure light wounds, HP: 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6, hp up to 31. Move to L10.
Bluff: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26


Will save: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21

The spray of arcane color washes over Hinzackle, but he is unfazed.

However, he does take pause at Sylvia's entreaty. He lowers his guard slightly. "You know about the Speaker?" He proceeds hesitantly. "Professor Laveness did not tell me to expect anyone. Are you here to hear the words of the Speaker?" He seems almost oblivious to the destruction of his laboratory.


F Elf Alchemist 4 {Init +3; Perception +8 (llv); HP 25/35}

"Well... yes." Sylvia's arm shoots out as she points at Faenor and she gabbles rather desperately before further hostilities break out. "This is a friend of Professor Laveness's and he was coming to meet her and hear the Speaker. He told us of the, er, marvels and we came too. Is Professor Laveness here? We were going to meet her and she'd bring us to you. When we couldn't find her, we came here." She verbally capitalizes Speaker, since Hinzackle seems to.


"She is listening to the Speaker," the crazed gnome says with something akin to awe in his voice. "You must come and listen for yourselves."


46/46, AC 11

"Is it far? Would we have to take a carriage or ride?" Jerry says cautiously taking a step back to put out his smouldering shirt.

Reflex Save: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9


"Far? The Speaker is in my office enlightening Professor Laveness right now." He gestures to the office door behind him.

Once again, you can hear the cacophony of voices coming from the office that never abated despite your noisy battle in the laboratory. Unless the office is crammed full of people like a carriage at the circus, something else is afoot in there.


F Elf Alchemist 4 {Init +3; Perception +8 (llv); HP 25/35}

"How wonderful that we found you all here!" Sylvia chirps, "Can you give us a moment to... er... prepare ourselves for the revelation, Professor? Properly school our minds and all?" She gives the others a warning glance.

If Hinzackle doesn't object, Sylvia will take a moment to find something to stuff in her ears, and to - out of sight of Hinzackle - take a tanglefoot bag from her gear and hold it ready. Sleight of hand: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (3) + 10 = 13


Professor Hinzackle seems oblivious to Sylvia's tanglefoot bag, but is indignant when she plugs her ears. "You must clear your ears to hear the word of the Speaker!" he exclaims. "You are like a blind man at a portrait gallery! Rid yourself of that at once if I am to introduce you to the Speaker!"


Ahem...


F Elf Alchemist 4 {Init +3; Perception +8 (llv); HP 25/35}

Just trying not to be that guy who dominates the game, but...

"S-s-s-sorry, Professor! I was just afraid that since I hadn't heard The Speaker before, I'd be unprepared for the power of his voice," Sylvia covers, "How do we do this, Professor? Is there, um, something we should say or do to prepare? Do all of us hear the glory at the same time, or single file? And will you be there with us, or staying here?"

All of what she said is true. Rolling Bluff for passing along a secret message. Not sure what the DC is. Does this apply to the party in general or to one person in particular? If one person, Sylvia targets Jerry for instant understanding, with the rest having to make a Sense Motive check.

Bluff: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21

Message:
By asking all these questions and delaying, Sylvia is innuendoing (?) that they had better prepare for what's to come before they open the door and are faced with both Professors and the speaker.


I think the Bluff check can apply to multiple intended recipients. As such, I think all the PCs will be able to gather what you are saying.


Male Elven Spellslinger 4 AC 12 HP 23

Sorry for lack of posting. Long daze

Knowledge Local : 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16

Knowledge arcana: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14

Knowledge planar : 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27

Knowledge history : 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20

While Sylvia is talking Feanor racks his brain for any mention of this Speaker he has heard of


46/46, AC 11

Jerry coughs softly and leans into Caladrel; "Any help with wounds would be appreciated, if we're to hear the Powerful Speaker in action - best be at our best, it's only respectful." He delays slightly hoping for some healing.


F Elf Alchemist 4 {Init +3; Perception +8 (llv); HP 25/35}

"So, um, how long have you known The Speaker, Professor? Very long? What's he like?" Sylvia tries to delay and also get some information, counting on a Professor's natural inclination to show off what he knows to the ignorant unwashed.


M Elf Druid 4 {AC 19, T 13, FF 17, HP 28/28}

Caladrel moves discretely behind Jerry and touches his back with the his wand of healing. "I don't like this", he whispers to Jerry. "Such unnatural science, these people are not to be trusted."

cure light wounds: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

Seeing that Jerry still bears some wounds from the fire. He tries to cast two more spells to assist Jerry.

cure light wounds: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
cure light wounds: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3


Caladrel may want to extend a few to Trina as well. She is down 17 hp. Even though I am going to move along, feel free to roll those heals with your next post, Caladrel.

Faenor:
You are knowledgeable of many mysteries, but have heard no mention of a Speaker fitting these circumstances. While no one can know everything, it also seems plausible that this title is of Hinzackle's own creation.

Professor Hinzackle seems to enjoy having students to lecture to about the Speaker. While he is eager to proceed, Sylvia's strategy definitely buys some time. "Oh, I am the foremost expert on the Speaker," he brags. "He has been guiding me for perhaps a fortnight. In that short span, I have expanded my knowledge of the metaphysical world more thoroughly than in the last twenty years! You shall see for yourself, you with your eyes that see."

"To prepare, all you must do is open your ears and receive like a pitcher that brims with wine only to increase in size. The Speaker speaks with many voices - all the voices of the world in the harmony of the stars themselves, and the space between them. I admit it is challenging at first, but rewarding to those who truly listen and seek to understand. The Speaker comes from a dimension beyond our own, where marvels we can scarcely comprehend are but carnival baubles given to children, and to merely scratch the surface - breathe in the essence of that understanding - is to understand the movements of the heavens themselves. Come, and you shall hear."


F Elf Alchemist 4 {Init +3; Perception +8 (llv); HP 25/35}

The speaker was mentioned in the letters Faenor had and shared with the group at their initial meeting.

"OK, that sounds good. Um, real quick, did you find the Speaker somehow, or did he choose you specially because you're... um, special? I'm dying to know and it would distract me from the Speaker's message."

Sylvia scrutinizes Hinzackle's speech and manner to try to figure out if he's been taken over from the thing from other dimensions or just mad.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17


I erred on my own timeline it seems. Still, we can chalk up Hinzackle's underestimation of how long it has been to madness. Laveness's journal suggests it has been at least a month. And Faenor knows of the Speaker through the letters, but knows nothing else, per the spoiler.

Professor Hinzackle beams with delight. "He found me. Here, in fact. Such fortune! Now you mention it, I truly am special." He contemplates for a moment, then looks as if he might cry. "So special..."

Sylvia - you sense he is bat-s~$+ crazy, but there are no signs of domination.


F Elf Alchemist 4 {Init +3; Perception +8 (llv); HP 25/35}

"You always were special, Professor, but now even moreso, recognized from beyond our, uh, dimension, as it were. How wonderful for you." Sylvia, though horrified by the thing in the last room, finds it difficult to feel other than pity for the wreck of a scientist/teacher.

She looks at the others and shrugs. Ready? she mouths.


M Elf Druid 4 {AC 19, T 13, FF 17, HP 28/28}

More healing. First Jerry
clw: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
clw: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9
clw: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

Now Trina
clw: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
clw: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

After Caladrel finishes healing everyone, he goes to each person, and whispers something in druidic in their ear while placing his hand on their forearm.

When he is done, he nods to Sylvia that he is ready to proceed.

Casts resistance on each person, +1 to saves for 1 minute


F Elf Alchemist 4 {Init +3; Perception +8 (llv); HP 25/35}

Sylvia sidles over to Jerry. "You OK? Ready for us to open the door?" She touches her foot to his and indicates the Professor with her eyes.

Bluff to pass message: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19

message:
Stay near the crazy man and stay ready to grab him if things go south.


Seemingly for the first time noticing that he is injured, Professor Hinzackle rubs his bruised shoulder. He produces a small vial and downs the contents. Cure: 2d8 + 3 ⇒ (7, 6) + 3 = 16

If you want to make an attack of opportunity while he drinks the potion, feel free, although your friendly ruse will be over at that point.

"Now then. It is time for some introductions." He throws open the door and reveals a scene of horror within.

Occupying the center of the office, an amorphous mass of eyes, mouths, and flesh undulates unnaturally. The mouths all seem to speak at once in a discordant clash of voices. They seem to speak to everyone and no one at the same time.

Professor Hinzackle regards the creature with reverence. His eyes wide as his addled brain listens to the many maddening voices of the creature's myriad mouths.

In the far corner, an elven women sits slumped in a wooden chair, her eyes gazing listlessly at the wall. A heavy desk laden with books has been pushed against the far door, barricading entry from that direction.

Everyone needs to roll a Will save, DC 13, or be confused.

For now, you can act. If you plan to attack the abomination in the office you will have to roll initiative.

Knowledge (dungeoneering or planes) DC 18:
This creature has been documented in obscure volumes of lore regarding aberrations and beings from beyond the Dark Tapestry. It is sometimes called a gibbering mouther, and its many voices causes madness in those that hear them. It is a formidable foe, and can engulf creatures within its form to feed upon them with its countless toothy mouths.


Male Elven Spellslinger 4 AC 12 HP 23

k(planes): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8

will save: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12

Faenor cannot place the horror, save that it needs to die

Weird. I previewed this and got a 26 will save. The dice roller usually doesn't flip like that ah well.

Faenor feels strange as the maddening voices reach his pointed ears

Can Feanor get an attack in first?


F Elf Alchemist 4 {Init +3; Perception +8 (llv); HP 25/35}

Will: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16

creature observations:
Does the creature have any obvious weapons, like manufactured weapons or big scary claws or tentacles? Does it look like it can walk or is it just a blob?

"Grab him, Jerry!" Sylvia yells in near-panic as she lobs a firebomb at the hideous thing on the side away from the helpless elf.

Init: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13
RT throw: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29
Explosive dmg, fire: 2d6 + 4 ⇒ (2, 5) + 4 = 11
Creature is on fire for 1d6 each round until extinguished.
Crit confirmation: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15
Crit damage, if applicable: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10

Gods, I don't often ask for help, but if you're around it would be nice about now. What in all the hells is that thing?


Sylvia, many of the mouths are on tantacle-like appendages, and sharply fanged. It looks mobile, but it probably doesn't move very fast.

Given that the creature was not attacking until you declared your intent, I will let Sylia's fire bomb go through, but it is not a surprise round and I will need initiative from everyone to determine who moves next. I will treat it as if everyone delayed until after Sylvia's place in initiative.

The fire bomb ignites the creature and its many mouths shriek with rage.

FYI Crit confirm failed.

"NOOOOOOOO!" Professor Hinzackle yells in dismay.

Monster init: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18
Hinzackle init: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22

MAP


F Elf Alchemist 4 {Init +3; Perception +8 (llv); HP 25/35}

Mouths on tentacles, oh gods.


Male Elven Spellslinger 4 AC 12 HP 23

initative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12


46/46, AC 11

Will Save: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15
Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19

Jerry shakes off the weird unnatural visuals of the amorphous creature and the way it undulates whilst not moving.

"Him? Professor or it?!" He replies to Sylvia barely taking his eyes off the horror.


F Elf Alchemist 4 {Init +3; Perception +8 (llv); HP 25/35}

"HINZACKLE!" Sylvia shrieks, "Stay away from things that are on fire and don't start grabbing them!"


M Elf Druid 4 {AC 19, T 13, FF 17, HP 28/28}

initiative: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22
will save: 1d20 ⇒ 16

Caladrel uses all of his druid training to stay focused and resist the creatures cacophony of sound.


Init:

Smitty: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
Trina: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

Will saves:
Smitty: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18
Trina: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16

Forgot to answer Faenor's earlier question. No, it would not have been possible to attack before the confusion effect set in,

Caladrel
Hinzackle
Jerry
Speaker (on fire)
Faenor (confused)
Smitty
Trina
Sylvia

MAP


Anybody want to take a turn for Caladrel while he's off galavanting at Gencon?


Caladrel claps his hands together, draws them swiftly apart, and shoves the resulting ball of fire at the thing in the next room.

Cast flaming sphere.
fire, Ref DC 16 neg: 3d6 ⇒ (2, 1, 4) = 7


Reflex: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24

The amorphous mass is remarkably nimble, and shifts away from the flaming sphere.

"You shall not harm the Speaker!" Professor Hinzackle shrieks. He hurls another explosive bomb, aiming at Jerry.

Ranged touch: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13
Fire damage: 3d6 + 3 ⇒ (5, 1, 3) + 3 = 12

Jerry takes that damage and is on fire, taking 1d6 fire damage per round until it is extinguished.

Caladrel, Sylvia, Trina, and Faenor are all in the blast radius and take 6 splash damage. DC 15 reflex for half.

Trina save: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9

Jerry is up.


Male Elven Spellslinger 4 AC 12 HP 23

Reflex: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19


F Elf Alchemist 4 {Init +3; Perception +8 (llv); HP 25/35}

Reflex: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15
31-3=28 hp


46/46, AC 11

Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 4

"Flamin' Heck!" Jerry mildly swears, before deciding to give Hinzackle a fright & teach him that setting someone aflame is not the proper pursuit for most academics (that and actually listening to random speakers).

He swings forwards using the momentum gained from swinging past the doorframe to smack the professor with his sword.

Move: to J8
Attack (Hinzackle; Non-Lethal): 1d20 + 7 - 4 ⇒ (14) + 7 - 4 = 17
Damage: 2d6 + 3 ⇒ (1, 1) + 3 = 5


M Elf Druid 4 {AC 19, T 13, FF 17, HP 28/28}

reflex save: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18

Caladrel manages to avoid some of the blast from Hinzackle's bomb.

HP:25/28, Also, BTW Caladrel already cast flaming sphere earlier. Instead, he will begin summoning a creature. Thanks for trying Treppa.


D'oh, sorry. Welcome back!


Jerry swings at the gnome, but finds him too swift footed to strike, given he is pulling his punches.

His AC is obviously pretty high. Have you thought about grappling him? Just saying - gnomes are small and have strength penalties - CMD may be a softer target than his AC. I don't usually give hints, but it's hard to watch you all struggle trying to deal nonlethal damage to him.

Creature fire damage: 1d6 ⇒ 2

The amorphous creature advances on your position in the rear office, leaving Hinzackle to deal wih Jerry.

Jerry may take an AoO.

It extends one of its many mouths at Sylvia and bites at her.

1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8

Another mouth spouts a jet of acidic spittle at Smitty. It strikes his face and eyes.

Smitty must make a DC 18 Fort save or be blinded for 1d4 ⇒ 3 rounds.

Smitty save: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

"Ach! My eyes! I cannae see!" the dwarf bellows.

MAP

Faenor (confused)
Smitty (blinded 3 rounds)
Trina
Sylvia
Caladrel

Hinzackle
Jerry (on fire)
Speaker (on fire)


F Elf Alchemist 4 {Init +3; Perception +8 (llv); HP 25/35}

"Yipe! Oh, guh, this thing has way too many mouths. Faenor, shoot it! Ick ick ick."

1,301 to 1,350 of 1,430 << first < prev | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / An Ancient Evil All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.