An Ancient Evil

Game Master Celestial Healer

The kingdom of Leyland is in the midst of change. New technology and new social structures are taking the place of the old ways. In the midst of this, an ancient evil is awakening and threatening this prosperous nation. It falls upon a band of heroes to face this menace.


1,051 to 1,100 of 1,430 << first < prev | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | next > last >>

Female Tiefling (Motherless) Inquisitor [Sin Eater, Preacher] 4 [HP: 25/28] [AC: 16 | T: 11 | FF: 15]

Spoiler:
"Seems a problematic solution," Trina says quietly, between bites of the provided food. "We can't guarantee they will have come this way, we might attract the wrong travelers looking for parted-ways companions unless we make the sign extremely specific, and I don't know if we have the resources to make such a thing."

After a few moments she shrugs. "We said when we parted ways that we would be coming here to investigate what we could find at the university. I imagine if nothing else that they would be able to find their way there, so why delay our own arrival? We can begin our research, and once they arrive they can join us."


Overland Group:
The weather is fairer today than it was yesterday. The village of Milton is a quaint collection of storefronts and row houses, occupied mainly with the support of the University. Tea rooms, tailors, and booksellers line the main thoroughfare, while boarding houses and taverns stand tucked away behind. The cobblestone streets are clean and clear following yesterday's heavy rains.

Where are you headed first? It is mid day.

Train Group:
The evening passes quietly, and the night is mostly quiet at the inn. Some of the visiting students keep odd hours, as students are wont to do.

You expect the others to arrive today. It is morning.


Female Tiefling (Motherless) Inquisitor [Sin Eater, Preacher] 4 [HP: 25/28] [AC: 16 | T: 11 | FF: 15]

Train Group:
If the inn serves meals as well, Trina will see to acquiring breakfast while she waits for the rest of her group to rouse.

Once everyone is up, she approaches the group to repeat her recommendations from the evening prior. "Good morning. Do we need any further errands or stops along the way, or should we head to the University to begin research while we wait on Jeremiah and Caladrel?"


46/46, AC 11

Overland Group:
Jerry dismounted walks down the street holding Luce's reins casually, ignoring the looks from the various passers by. Turning to his elven friend; "Well I guess we'd best find some lodgings and freshen up before heading off to the University, for I'm sure that's where we can await Sylvia and our companions. All the while having been more refreshed and less cramped than them." He winks.


F Elf Alchemist 4 {Init +3; Perception +8 (llv); HP 25/35}

Train Group:

"Always up for a trip to the University," Sylvia chirps, "Besides, we don't know when the others will get here, but they know we were faster and that we were heading to the libs to research. I think we should go now. They can catch up and we will bring them back here. Eventually."

Being all too familiar with the University environs, Sylvia will be happy to lead the way once everyone is prepared.


M Elf Druid 4 {AC 19, T 13, FF 17, HP 28/28}

Overland Group:
Caladrel tries vainly to express a small smile at Jerry's quip, but he is too unsettled by the busyness of the city. "Yes, finding lodgings is a good idea. I'll follow you."


46/46, AC 11

Overland Group:
Jerry will try and find a small little Inn or boarding house (with stables &/or some grounds), potentially from his old university college.

Leading his friendly lion down the street, he'll try and distract CAladrel pointing out the various native fauna in these more salubrious neighbourhoods.

"Oh, by the way - do you have a bank, for that draft that Lord Wallingham gave you?" he'll inquire.


Train Group:
Smitty remarks to the ladies, "I have no use for these bookish academics. Bessie needs greasin'. I hope ye won't mind if I don't go with ye."

I will probably retire Smitty for the time being. I don't want to run him as a GMPC if I don't have to.

You make your way to the university, which is certainly familiar to Sylvia. Stately brick buildings, their faces fringed with verdant ivy, line the brick walkways that crisscross the parklike campus. You head in the direction of the Department of Antiquities, to see if they have any information on the symbols you found.

As you walk under the heavy boughs of the maple trees, fringed with the first tints of autumn, Sylvia sees a familiar face approaching. It is Professor McPherson, a respected professor of alchemical philosophy. He sees you approaching and calls out, "Miss Pari! I did not think to see you here again. Have you resumed your studies?"

Professor McPherson is wearing the same tweed jacket he wears nearly every day. His hair and fingernails are fastidiously groomed, and he fidgets absentmindedly at his buttons. He is an effete and mild-mannered academic, but one that Sylvia never had any particular conflicts with.

Overland Group:
The main street of the village does have a small bank, which you can avail yourself of at any time.

You find an inn relatively easily, as visiting academics and students come to Milton with some frequency. You arrive at a wholesome looking inn, under the proprietorship of a heavyset man who seems to sweat constantly, even though it is not hot. Still, he smiles warmly as you enter, and seems to pay no head to Luce.

"Welcome sirs," he says. "If you are looking for lodging you have come to the right place. I hope you will forgive us - it is somewhat early and our rooms have not been prepared yet. Still, if you wish to stay the night, we have rooms to let."

He looks over Jerry's shoulder at the lion. "Will you need help making arrangements for the noble beast?" He smiles and goes on, "We know good folk are doing all manner of research at the University, so it is certainly not the strangest thing we have seen come through the inn."


Female Tiefling (Motherless) Inquisitor [Sin Eater, Preacher] 4 [HP: 25/28] [AC: 16 | T: 11 | FF: 15]

Train Group:
Trina remains a step or two behind Sylvia, allowing her to take the lead in conversations and directions.


F Elf Alchemist 4 {Init +3; Perception +8 (llv); HP 25/35}

Train Group:

"Ah, Professor McPherson! So good to see you! Resumed my studies...? Er, n-- ... I mean, y-- ... well, I am engaged in a sort of, er, practicum at the moment with my colleague here, Alastriona." She waves vaguely in Trina's direction and barges right on, not allowing for pleasantries as she gains focus. "In fact, I am glad we have chanced to encounter you, Professor. Maybe you could advise us. We ran across a rather odd phenomenon a couple of days ago and could use some advice. It is a bit beyond the bounds of alchemy, methinks, but if you could point us to the right department?"

Taking a quick breath, she spews information like a repeating crossbow spews bolts. "We were in a cavern in a wood that was being sort of, er, drained of life, when we encountered what must have been an opening into somewhere else... not like a gate, more like a tear or a rift in reality that opened into the great starry cosmos. We encountered two odd creatures there, sort of like fleshy barrels. With wings. Leathery wings. And lots of tentacles. And a head that was kind of star-shaped. They were talking in a strange language. They didn't understand me. And they were definitely not friendly. And they didn't burn very well. But they did burn in the end. Oh, yes."

Slightly dizzy, she pauses to draw breath and smile brightly at the professor. "Well, does that sound familiar at all, Professor? Oh, in fact, we picked up some papers from them... odd glyphs and geometric figures. And a rod that controlled the size of the rift. Er... Trina, do you have those? Perhaps we could show the Professor...?"


M Elf Druid 4 {AC 19, T 13, FF 17, HP 28/28}

Overland Group:
Caladrel answers Jerry regarding the check. "No, I have never needed a bank before. If you would be of assistance, I will be much obliged. Let'settle into our lodging before pursuing the bank.

To the inn keeper, Caladrel bows and says, "Thank you for your kindness, we are in need of lodging. We have some business around town to tend so entering the rooms later is fine. How much is a room? Is the University near?"


46/46, AC 11

Overland Group:
"Not the strangest? Have you seen a very strange ass?" Asks Jerry thinking of Sylvia's companion; "A strangely acting mule."

'Well they must be staying somewhere, this seems as feasible as any.'


Overland Group:
"Good sir, I believe the last time a strange ass lodged here he turned out to be a Member of Parliament." He laughs heartily at his own joke.

"In truth, no I have seen nothing of that description lately, but there are many inns and boarding houses in the village. Travelers come through frequently on account of the University."

He quotes a reasonable rate of 2 silver pieces per night.

Train Group:
Professor McPherson adjust his spectacles absently. "Cosmology, perhaps. Or..." He considers. "Professor Laveness in the antiquities department has been a resource on arcane symbology for the last couple of centuries. She may have insight, but sadly she has not been seen around the campus for the past fortnight or so."


46/46, AC 11

Overland Group:
Jerry smiles at the jest, having been at school with a few budding politicians. "That sounds most satisfactory price, for such a fine establishment. Does your wife help?"


Overland Group:
The portly innkeeper keeps a cheerful attitude while he says, "She did, once upon a time. She's no longer with us. Don't worry yourselves, milords; it has been some years and it's not so uncommon to be asked."

He offers to let you leave your things if you need to, and suggests the services of a nearby veterinarian who he thinks may be able to look after Luce if you need a place for her.


46/46, AC 11

Overland Group:
"That would be most appreciated, and if you could get some good cuts of meat for myself and companions." Jerry hands over a gold sovereign for a couple of rooms, a drink and the meat.

He turns to Caladrel thoughfully; "Well I'd best go to get Luce housed, maybe you'd like to come with - we can ascertain the quality of care - then head off to the University and look around for the chemistry wing."


F Elf Alchemist 4 {Init +3; Perception +8 (llv); HP 25/35}

Train Group:

"Missing?" Sylvia trades a look with Trina. "Related to this mess, do you think, or sabbatical? We can check with the department secretary, Trina. Professor McPherson, thank you so much. If there's every anything I can do for you - research, round up rare ingredients, whatever - let me know."

Once they finish with the professor, Sylvia leads the way across campus to the Department of Antiquities, where she seeks out the administrative offices to find secretary. There always seems to be one scribe in each department who knows what is going on, though the rest of the staff and faculty act like a herd of cats. Sylvia seeks that person.


Train Group:
Sylvia leads the way to the Antiquities department and finds who she is looking for - a portly halfling by the name of Goodwin who serves as a scribe. When you arrive at the department, he is out for his second breakfast, but arrives after a bit of a wait. He enters looking satisfied - in contrast, his waistcoat strains under the pressure of sausages, puddings, and who knows what else.

"Sylvia!" He says delightedly. "So pleased to see you. What brings you here?"

Overland Group:
The arrangements made, you head off toward the University. A passing student is able to point you in the direction of the Chemistry and Alchemy department. Stately brick buildings, their faces fringed with verdant ivy, line the brick walkways that crisscross the parklike campus.

When you arrive at the wing a tired-looking secretary regards you coldly. "Good morning," she says without meaning it.


M Elf Druid 4 {AC 19, T 13, FF 17, HP 28/28}

Overland Group:
"Good morning to you as well," answers Caladrel honestly. "We do not want to trouble you too much. We are trying to join some friends who came to the university to do some research. Have you been visited by a group of 3 or 4 people from out of town in the last day or so?"


46/46, AC 11

Overland Group:
"I believe it would include one of your alumni, Ms. Pari?" Jerry adds jovially, having changed out of his travelling gear into a more respectable shirt.


Female Tiefling (Motherless) Inquisitor [Sin Eater, Preacher] 4 [HP: 25/28] [AC: 16 | T: 11 | FF: 15]

Train Group:
Trina watches the interaction between Sylvia and the professor with a somewhat mystified eye, and can't quite keep up with the constantly-shifting path of dialogue until a few moments after it's over. As soon as she starts attempting to retrieve the scraps and parchments recovered from the elder things' "experiment", suddenly Sylvia is off again, and Trina's stuffing her pack closed once more before giving chase, attempting to keep pace with the excitable elf.

Gripping her satchel with one hand and her hood with the other, she follows the alchemist through the halls of the school until they arrive at a room to her looks as nondescript and unmemorable as every other in this place, with only minor variance of decor and arrangement between each to differentiate them. If nothing else she's certainly decisive about the place, Trina observes, somewhere between bitter and impressed. At least she seems to know what she's doing, at any rate.

The tiefling relaxes into a random desk chair and sets her pack on the table before her while they wait for whoever Sylvia has brought them to see in this case. When Goodwin arrives, she sits up a little straighter and checks to make sure her hood's in place, but doesn't yet stand.


Overland Group:
The bored secretary gives an uninterested look. "I don't keep track of the comings and goings of every student," she says unhelpfully.

At that moment, however, a nearby door opens, and an effete man, clad fastidiously in a tweed jacket and spectacles, steps out to greet you. "Good day, sirs," he says. "I am Professor McPherson. As it happens, I saw Miss Pari not long ago crossing the lawn. She was headed to the Antiquities department. Perhaps you will catch up with her there. If I know Miss Pari, she will no doubt be up to some trouble..."

He is able to tell you how to find the Department of Antiquities.

Train Group:
I am going to advance this a little bit, since Sylvia has not posted.

Sylvia greets her old acquaintance Goodwin and inquires after Professor Laveness.

"Laveness?" Goodwin says, drawing out his response for dramatic effect. It is clear he has some gossip he cannot wait to divulge. "She has not been seen in the department for... what is it... three weeks now? Benedict Glavin has been covering her classes. While Laveness's lectures were always rather dry, I'm not sure Glavin knows what he's talking about. He's only a third year graduate student. It's hard to say whether the students are better off or not."

"At any rate, right now the University is just regarding her absence as a forgivable truancy. You can get away with pretty much anything when you have tenure. Still, I would love to know where she is. What would make the stoic old Laveness run off? What I can tell you is that for a few days before she was last around her office, she was making lengthy visits to Professor Serevil's observatory in the Astronomy wing." He pauses for effect and then adds conspiratorially, "Of course, I would never imply anything by that. Serevil is something like 650 years old. Perish the thought."


46/46, AC 11

Overland Group:
"She seems a very dependable person." He replies; "I thank you Professor. I'm Jeremiah Roberts, by the way." He looks to Caladrel and nods, indicating that maybe they shouldn't annoy the secretary anymore.

"Thank you." he says to the officious lady, she was only doing her duty and maybe by not being rude to her, her day may improve.

Then heads off to the antiquity department to try and find Sylvia and the others.


Female Tiefling (Motherless) Inquisitor [Sin Eater, Preacher] 4 [HP: 25/28] [AC: 16 | T: 11 | FF: 15]

Train Group:
Trina observes the office scandal discussion with a passive expression while waiting for Sylvia to take the lead as to what to do next. While she waits, though, she retrieves the scraps of parchment with their odd drawings from the pocket where they are stored along with the strange portal-controlling rod, while leaving the latter in its hidden compartment. The drawings instead are moved to her coat pocket, for easier retrieval when Sylvia finds the right person to show them to.


F Elf Alchemist 4 {Init +3; Perception +8 (llv); HP 25/35}

Train Group:

"Perish indeed," Sylvia agrees, avidly drinking in the latest gossip about her old acquaintances, "And some of his colleagues think Glavin is rather a hack. Rumor has it that Cartwright has it bad for Glavin and has been doing most of the drudge work for Glavin's thesis, though you didn't hear that from me, right?" She twinkles at Goodwin, laying one finger aside her nose. "Sounds like we need to check with Serevil... I mean, Doctor Serevil. If he's been cosy with Laveness, maybe he knows where she's gone. It certainly can't be the nine months flux, at least -- she's well past that. I think." Sylvia winks at the portly halfling and hurries off with a cheery wave.

The lanky elf leans close to Trina as they hustle across the Commons to the Astronomy department. "Well, the plot thickens. Does it seem like coincidence to you that the professor we most need has been closeted lately with the other professor that might be able to help us? And three weeks? How long was Lord Wallingham aware of a problem in his woods, hmmm? Oh! Say! That fountain with the naughty little boys is where some mysterious group of robed and hooded miscreants dunked the lovely Lady Adora Bolton when they found out her father had hired somebody to do all her academic work for her. I've no idea who they were, of course..." Sylvia wanders off into stories about people Trina doesn't know, though Trina can certainly break in when Sylvia takes a moment to breathe.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Finally, I get to make this post. I swear I've been dreaming in spoiler tags lately...

Sylvia and Trina converse as they make their way out of the Antiquities department. No sooner are they out the door than they see none other than Caladrel and Jerry walking across the green toward them.


F Elf Alchemist 4 {Init +3; Perception +8 (llv); HP 25/35}

"Hey, those guys look familiar." Sylvia points to the wanderers, interrupting her own pointless story.


Female Tiefling (Motherless) Inquisitor [Sin Eater, Preacher] 4 [HP: 25/28] [AC: 16 | T: 11 | FF: 15]

Trina waves brightly to the familiar faces. While her face is somewhat obscured by her hood, her appearance is probably distinctive enough that it really isn't necessary to recognize her. How many robed and hooded priestesses of Shelyn with six fingers to a hand could they know, anyway?


46/46, AC 11

Jerry's smile broadens and pace quickens as he sees the ladies. Rapidly eating up the yards with a crunch as he avoids walking upon the manicured lawns of the university and sticking to the gravel path. For he had fallen afoul of the Provosts of the College in his academic days and had no wish to annoy them anymore with unauthorised escapades upon the lawns.

"So a draw! What fortuitous luck." He says jovially, though the hearty noble does look a touch drawn from his journey his clothes are immaculate.


F Elf Alchemist 4 {Init +3; Perception +8 (llv); HP 25/35}

"Hmph. About time you got here. We've been floating around for ages. So. The plot thickens!" Sylvia fills in the newcomers on the mystery of the missing professor and explains their destination. "Astronomy seems like a good second choice. After all, we saw stars through that rift. And Serevil - the Astronomy prof - might know something about where Laveness - the Antiquities prof - is."

She blinks with some surprise at the newcomers, remembering that there are such things as social conventions. "So, how was your trip? Uneventful? And where's your lion? Do they have stables for such things?"


Female Tiefling (Motherless) Inquisitor [Sin Eater, Preacher] 4 [HP: 25/28] [AC: 16 | T: 11 | FF: 15]

"We would have made slightly better time, but we were a bit waylaid along the way," Trina explains, her expression still bright. "Sadly banditry has evolved with the times and whereas in the past their targets would have been lone travelers or easily-overcome carriages, they seem to have managed ways to disrupt even trains now."


M Elf Druid 4 {AC 19, T 13, FF 17, HP 28/28}

Caladrel resists the temptation to smile when Trina mentions trouble with the train. "We were detained slightly saving some men who were held captive. It is good to see that you appear to have survived your ordeal on the train. We will accompany you on your new journey." says Caladrel.


You proceed toward the Astronomy tower, a lofty old structured topped with an observatory. It is the tallest building on the campus, and Professor Serevil's office is on the 5th floor, making it a bit of a climb. When you arrive, Serevil is pondering his charts, and does not acknowledge you.

Professor Serevil is a tall man, thin and spry despite his years. His hair, pulled back into a braid, has turned white, but has a lustrous quality to it. Other than a few very fine lines about his eyes, it would be hard for non-elves to imagine this man is over six centuries old.


F Elf Alchemist 4 {Init +3; Perception +8 (llv); HP 25/35}

"Really, the train is safer, considering the shorter time spent between destinations and at the mercy of bandits, you see?" Sylvia tries to persuade Caladrel of the superiority of technology as they cross the campus. She is huffing and puffing by the time they get to the top of the tower. "They need something like a train to take us up tall buildings like this so we don't have to walk," she pants before leaning close to Trina as Professor Serevil comes into view. "Get out the goodies, Trina, we'll need something to pique his curiousity," Sylvia whispers to the tiefling, giving her time to extract the findings before she pounds on the door.

"Hello, Professor! We need your help dealing with... well, with some rather unbelievable things. Creatures that might be from the stars, rifts into space, you know, things of that sort. We were really looking for Professor Laveness, but Goodwin says she's missing. Just when we need her, too, because we have things that need deciphering." Sylvia waves a hand in the direction of Trina's artifacts.


Female Tiefling (Motherless) Inquisitor [Sin Eater, Preacher] 4 [HP: 25/28] [AC: 16 | T: 11 | FF: 15]

"A step ahead of you already," she replies, gesturing vaguely with the parchments in one hand.

At Sylvia's cue after their arrival, the tiefling steps up and lays out the parchments on the desk, then retrieves the rod from her satchel and lays it aside the documents.


M Elf Druid 4 {AC 19, T 13, FF 17, HP 28/28}

Caladrel listens politely as Sylvia describe the virtues of the train. Rejoining the others has brought the plight of the woods back to the forefront of his thoughts. "Curious about Laveness's disappearance, could she have been sent into the field to investigate" he notes as they walk across to the astronomy building.

When they arrive in Professor Serevil's office, He stands back a foot patiently waiting for the professor to acknowledge their presence.


46/46, AC 11

Taking the steps in his stride, Jerry keeps a respectable pace with the ladies. However he winces at Sylvia's pounding upon the Professors door. 'For someone so scholarly, I'd have thought she'd know better etiquette.'

As Trina lays out the pages upon the desk, Jerry cannot help but slightly lean forward to examine them too.


Professor Serevil initially looks annoyed by the intrusion, until Professor Laveness is mentioned, at which point he suddenly becomes interested. "I see," the ancient professor says. "I will admit, I find her absence somewhat surprising myself. At first I thought nothing of it, but the more time passes..."

He clears his throat and moves over to a small writing desk against the wall and begins looking through the papers. "We had some notes here..." After a moment he appears to have found what he was looking for.

"When I saw your notes and diagrams there, I could not mistake the similarity to certain notes that Professor Laveness had made during our conversations. Mr. Goodwin did well to send you here - despite himself, I suspect. Laveness was making some inquiries into celestial patterns of a most troubling nature. Her inquiries related to alignments of various dark spaces in the night sky, some of which are visible only with the most sophisticated telescopes available - to which we are fortunate to have access." He pauses and looks troubled. "Her inquiries became more and more urgent - for lack of a better word. She may have a few centuries ahead of her, and astronomy is not a field that demands haste. I found it troubling. Something clearly disturbed her, but I do not know what."

"While I have the charts here from her inquiries, she had much more elaborate notes in her journal. She was looking for my assistance with some of the calculations, and in reading some of the star charts and using the telescope, but how this interacted with the other research she was doing, I do not know. If you could find her other notes, there is no telling what you might find - probably a great deal more than I have here. Perhaps something was left behind in her office."

He looks pained for a moment. "I do hope she is not in any danger. Her father was a dear friend of mine, and her grandfather was one of the first deans to foster the notion that the University should serve all races, and not just the elves. That is a proud lineage, and one that has done a great deal for the entire nation by their efforts."


M Elf Druid 4 {AC 19, T 13, FF 17, HP 28/28}

Caladrel replies, "That is a wise suggestion, Professor Serevil. May we tell the secretary that you have given us permission to search through Professor Laveness's office for more clues to her disappearance? It may speed the process of allowing us entry and I fear her trail grows colder by the minute."


"Hmm," Professor Serevil muses. "I don't know that I am the right person to approve a search of another professor's office. But, perhaps I could provide a note that you are looking for something of mine. One of my charts, perhaps." He then adds, with a twinkle in his eye, "And what you happen to find while you are looking for the chart... Well that is no business of mine."

Reaching for his quill and ink, he scribbles a note upon a pad, tears off the page, and hands it to you.


Bump?


46/46, AC 11

Jerry takes the proffered sheet, folding it into his breast-pocket with an assurance of it's return, he adds; "I take it, that she doesn't have a research assistant? Or perhaps an undergraduate that is assisting with some of the mundane research or paperwork." He remembers his years at the university and the more studious youths who worked closely with professors.

"Do you have an expenses account? Or file to a bursar for travel tickets, hire of carriages or rooms. We could try to locate where the Professor may have gone through that? Or potentially any observatory out of the city, for the smoke obscures the nights sky." He looks to Caladrel with a little nod.


"She does not have a graduate assistant at the moment," Serevil responds. "And any major expenses would have gone through the department's clark - Mr. Goodwin whom I believe you have met already."


46/46, AC 11

"Would a carriage or week in a hotel be a major expense?" Jerry wonders, trying to ascertain if they should go back and question the clerk. His fingers drum subconsciously upon his thigh as he considers his next move.


"For Professor Laveness? Probably not."

One would hope that if Goodwin knew she hired a carriage somewhere, he would have said so rather than speculate wildly on her absence. Unless you think he is dishonest.


Female Tiefling (Motherless) Inquisitor [Sin Eater, Preacher] 4 [HP: 25/28] [AC: 16 | T: 11 | FF: 15]

Trina listens quietly to the professor's short speech, especially the portion about observing the empty sections of sky and the ensuing rush and anxiety for information. Given their current situation, she can't help but feel the coincidence to be more than accidental.

"Thank you again for your assistance, and apologies for the intrusion," she offers, giving the older man a slight bow of her head, then turning to Jerry and the others. "I believe we should begin the search for the professor's 'belongings' swiftly. Sylvia, if you would lead on once more...?"


Male Elven Spellslinger 4 AC 12 HP 23

Just tagging. Carry on


Sylvia leads the way out with an exuberant "Thank you!" to Professor Serevil. She leads the way down the endless flights of stairs from the Astronomy Tower, across the tree-lined walkways through the campus Green, and back to the Antiquities Department. You walk through the doors of the department just as the cheerful halfling Mr. Goodwin is stuffing half of a scone into his mouth. "Sylvia!" he says with a mouthful of pastry, crumbs tumbling out onto his strained waistcoat, "you've come back, and brought friends I see. Did you learn anything terrible and interesting?" He takes a generous swig of tea to wash down the morsel.


46/46, AC 11

Taken aback by the industrious eating habits of the Professor, Jeremiah isn't quick to answer but decides to interrupt slightly. "My dear fellow, I wonder if we would be allowed into Professor Lavenesses room? Terrible imposition I know, but it seems that Serevil has forgotten a couple of his maps - you know how it is. He was wondering if we could retrieve them." He says in his most gentlemanly manner, the words spilling forth.

Putting up a hand apologetically; "We won't disturb anything, of course."

Then pausing for a reply, he puts his had to his head forgetfully; "And another thing.... we do have a note from Prof. Serevil affirming the fact."

Well it worked for Colombo...


Since Jerry wasn't at the last encounter with Goodwin, he may not have the background. Goodwin is a department clerk, not a professor.

Goodwin regards Jerry with curiosity. "Maps indeed," he says suggestively, "So the plot thickens. Of course, of course, I have a spare key here somewhere." He rifles through a desk drawer. "Here it is. Laveness's office is the second on the left."

He then regards Sylvia conspiratorially. "If there's anything good going on, I hope I get to hear about it." His eyes glisten at the potential for good gossip.

1,051 to 1,100 of 1,430 << first < prev | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / An Ancient Evil All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.