Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Bestiary 4 Wish List


Paizo Products

1,251 to 1,300 of 2,238 << first < prev | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | next > last >>

Qstor wrote:
Dragon78 wrote:
Well Mr. Sutter did say a hardcover Bestiary that the Formians will be in, so I think that it will not be a smaller book.
I hope that doesn't mean the ant things from 3.0/3.5

Maybe they'll be the ant things from first edition AD&D instead. (Second edition is when they became dwellers on the outer planes.)


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Well the Formians are suposed to a race of intelligent ant-like creatures. Hopefully they will be classified as magical beast or aberrations instead of outsiders but I still want them to LN aligned.


I would like to see a Dobhar-chu.


Andru Watkins wrote:
I would like to see a Dobhar-chu.

+ Me

Cuz a Weasel Monster (sickle weasel) Beaver mosnter (Afanc) and otter monster (the Dobhar-chu) are just so cute together, add a magical wolverine and Skunk monster in the forms of Gelun and Aniwye and you have my thanks.

Enough Lions and Dogs, its time for some smaller creatures to take over, as these creatures are all small (most of them) but are of high Challenge ratings.


A monster based on Bloody Mary and whatever the good-fey lovers say, the Fossegrim should be EVIL

Taldor

More evil fey (western mythology)
More creatures of Slavic myth (correctly done, not like the Drekavac)
More plant creatures
More lovecraftian beasties...


I want the Lovecraftian horrors from Carrion Crown to get reprinted SO badly. Colour out of Space is quite literally one of my favorite monsters to throw at my players.

And yet, they STILL don't buy ghost touched weapons!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

If one lovecraft monster deserves to be in the 4th bestiary it is the Nightgaunt.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I would love that all the Lovecraftian horrors from Carrion Crown got in this book particularly the Colour from out of Space, Elder Thing, Mi-Go, Dark Young of Shub-Niggurath, and the Star-Spawn of Cthulhu. I still wish the Star-Spawn was harmed by electricity not fire for it's regeneration.


I think they have enough monsters created for the various APs and modules that they could probably fill a Bestiary 4 now.

I really love the folklore monsters. Keep it up with mining the Wonderland, Oz, and Cthulhu mythologies!


Pathfinder Campaign Setting Subscriber

I believe the nightgaunt is getting statted up in Shattered Star 4.

Paizo Employee Developer

Odraude wrote:
I believe the nightgaunt is getting statted up in Shattered Star 4.

The 5th one, actually. Pathfinder #65. :)


darth_borehd wrote:

I think they have enough monsters created for the various APs and modules that they could probably fill a Bestiary 4 now.

I really love the folklore monsters. Keep it up with mining the Wonderland, Oz, and Cthulhu mythologies!

Oz?


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I don't remember anything from Oz in any of the Bestiaries unless you count the Scarecrow construct as one.


Pathfinder Campaign Setting Subscriber
Adam Daigle wrote:
Odraude wrote:
I believe the nightgaunt is getting statted up in Shattered Star 4.
The 5th one, actually. Pathfinder #65. :)

Fair enough. I had converted the one from d20 CoC with some modifications here and there. All part of my Dreamlands campaign.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Dobhar-Chu
Hitotsume-Kozo
Kabandha
Zhen
Psoglav
Likho
Nekomata
Bakeneko
Swanmay
Alkonost
Bannik
Melusine
Capa
Cabeiri
Gaasyenthietha
Genius Loci
Rainbow Serpant
Gigantes
Shisa
Deer Woman

Taldor

Psoglav? It's just a guy with the head of a dog and iron claws...nothing special about that xD


Hama wrote:
Psoglav? It's just a guy with the head of a dog and iron claws...nothing special about that xD

that is one of the only creatures that IS kinda unique, most of the others are just like other creatures that already appeared in the books, like shisa/foo lion and the rainbow serpent is just like a couatl in many ways.

So that Psoglav thing isn't that bad.

Taldor

Then somebody should sent Paizo a serbian book called Ale i Bauci...it features tons of strange and awesome monsters with pretty detailed descriptions and (fake) photos.

Oh also, a Hala is not a giant, it is a dragon, a dragon that carries a huge spoon everywhere.


Where do you see a hala giant? The hala in pathfinder is a weather demon of medium size and Cr4? Not really something giant?

Taldor

Ah, i forgot. Well, it is actually a huge draconic beast that indeed does control weather with it's screeching, and also carries a huge spoon with which it eats foodstuffs stored by farmers.

Cheliax

Rubezahl (actually Rübezahl), a german mountain spirit that looks like a giant but can shapeshift into human or animal form.
Might work as a fey, giant or kami.


Hama wrote:
Ah, i forgot. Well, it is actually a huge draconic beast that indeed does control weather with it's screeching, and also carries a huge spoon with which it eats foodstuffs stored by farmers.

Hala's from pathfinder are actually based on the Ala Demons from Bulgarians, Macedonians, and Serbs, they aren't with spoon and can have many forms, pathfinder picked the demonic form, a wise choice.


This would be a good fossegrim/Nacken (I prefer the Fossegrim name) Really we need some pretty male monsters aswel, we have like 100 pretty fairies and enchanting lady monsters (rusalka, Jorogumo, Dryad, nereid, name it) but only 2 female seducing monsters (incubus/satyr) we need at least one more, and Fossegrim being the most powerful one, half humanoid half water elemental this long blue haired, heavenly blue skinned and fiddle/violin playing monster lures females to a watery grave, when people/creatures enter its waterfall terrain they will soon feel its wrath.

Fossegrim would be lovely for Bestiary 4, and other wise would be a good Winter Adventure Path monster.

This is a good example of fossegrim (hope the pic works, if not search google by typing Nacken or Fossegrim

FOSSEGRIM

EDIT: and this would be a good model for the Dobhar-chu!

DOBHAR-CHU

Taldor

I am a serb...and i know my mythology...


The Midgard Bestiary also has a Hala.

Something I have noticed with slavic folklore is that folklore/monsters can vary extensively over short distances. I think there is something like 4 or 5 versions of Hala that are all very different from one another.


That Dobhar-chu looks...weird


MMCJawa wrote:
That Dobhar-chu looks...weird

Better than all the dog-like art i've seen from them in other pictures, there are enough dog creatures, not enough otter creatures, so this is the best picture online of one, most resembling a monstrous otter.


Well it should look like an otter, but the front limbs look bizarre and impractical.


That might sound awkward and out of place... but how about some robots ? You know the stereotypical super-advanced city that got destroyed and left to crumble over the centuries ? Yeah, I'd like to get creatures that advanced. That has been done numerous times in RPGs, so why not Pathfinder ? Also, isn't there a Golarion region where technology is as advanced as the modern days ?

Paizo Employee Developer

JiCi wrote:
That might sound awkward and out of place... but how about some robots ? You know the stereotypical super-advanced city that got destroyed and left to crumble over the centuries ? Yeah, I'd like to get creatures that advanced. That has been done numerous times in RPGs, so why not Pathfinder ? Also, isn't there a Golarion region where technology is as advanced as the modern days ?

Look no further, JiCi! I have what you're looking for! Three robots show up in the Inner Sea Bestiary. They have a few cool new abilities. Also, yep. There's a place where a craft from space crashed into it and scattered strange and unreliable technology across the land. That's Numeria.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion Subscriber
Adam Daigle wrote:
JiCi wrote:
That might sound awkward and out of place... but how about some robots ? You know the stereotypical super-advanced city that got destroyed and left to crumble over the centuries ? Yeah, I'd like to get creatures that advanced. That has been done numerous times in RPGs, so why not Pathfinder ? Also, isn't there a Golarion region where technology is as advanced as the modern days ?
Look no further, JiCi! I have what you're looking for! Three robots show up in the Inner Sea Bestiary. They have a few cool new abilities. Also, yep. There's a place where a craft from space crashed into it and scattered strange and unreliable technology across the land. That's Numeria.

Also, the campaign setting has a solar system with several super-tech places, such as a planet ran by turbo technological liches, spaceships, PEW PEW LAZORS and stargates. The book is called Distant Worlds and is one of the best things ever written for the setting.


I originally dismissed it, but I'm reconsidering taking it up from the local store.

I can put some of my homebrew races to other planets, just to get better backstories for them.


Adam Daigle wrote:
JiCi wrote:
That might sound awkward and out of place... but how about some robots ? You know the stereotypical super-advanced city that got destroyed and left to crumble over the centuries ? Yeah, I'd like to get creatures that advanced. That has been done numerous times in RPGs, so why not Pathfinder ? Also, isn't there a Golarion region where technology is as advanced as the modern days ?
Look no further, JiCi! I have what you're looking for! Three robots show up in the Inner Sea Bestiary. They have a few cool new abilities. Also, yep. There's a place where a craft from space crashed into it and scattered strange and unreliable technology across the land. That's Numeria.

Huh, interesting... However, what are the chances that these monsters end up in the Bestiary 4 ? Should I wait until I get a sneak peek at the book before buying the Inner Sea Bestiary ? I wonder... but at 10$ a piece for the PDF (I think), it isn't too bad.

I also have another request, but it's not actually about monsters. You see, I have bad memories of WotC's Monster Manuals, especially on how they plummeted in quality at Monster Manual 4... see where I'm getting at ? For those who don't know, Monster Manual 4 had mixed to negative reviews because of several reasons:
- lower number of monsters presented, compared to other Monster Manuals
- revisited stat blocks for flavored tribal monsters, like drows, githyankis, gnolls, lizardfolks, oges, orcs and yuan-tis
- rather underwhelming introduction of the Spawn of Tiamat
- questionable new monsters
- lack of converted monsters from either new books or previous editions

Although the Monster Manual 5 was better, the new format made official by the Monster Manual 4 left a bad taste in players' mouths. So, my request, as a whole, would be this:
- Keep the same format as Bestiary 1 to 3
- Keep the same average of monsters presented, because going from 350 to 300 isn't that bad, especially if it's good ^_^
- Keep a good balance between converted monsters and new monsters, depending on what Paizo can use.
- Bring each and every new monster presented in the Adventure Paths and other related books, as each bestiary should feel like a compendium. Technically, I think a good 25 or 30% of the Bestiary 4 should be made of monsters published in the Adventure Paths, and since it's already written down, that's less paperwork for Paizo.
- Keep surprising us with new creations

That would be my request.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

The Distant World book does have stats for a Aballonian wich is a race of robots from the planet Aballon. Actually to be honest the word "race" isn't very accurate more like they fill the whole eco-system.


JiCi wrote:


Although the Monster Manual 5 was better, the new format made official by the Monster Manual 4 left a bad taste in players' mouths. So, my request, as a whole, would be this:
- Keep the same format as Bestiary 1 to 3
- Keep the same average of monsters presented, because going from 350 to 300 isn't that bad, especially if it's good ^_^
- Keep a good balance between converted monsters and new monsters, depending on what Paizo can use.
- Bring each and every new monster presented in the Adventure Paths and other related books, as each bestiary should feel like a compendium. Technically, I think a good 25 or 30% of the Bestiary 4 should be made of monsters published in the Adventure Paths, and since it's already written down, that's less paperwork for Paizo.
- Keep surprising us with new creations

That would be my request.

This X 1000, really don't go the D&D way with making the bestairies smaller and smaller, I not 100% agree that all adventure path monsters should be used, as if they will take the entire book and I think new monsters should be there too, so leave the azi for example out (j/k):p

-1 for your robot wish however, I think they should be in the inner sea bestiary, don't really like the final fantasy type of mixture.

I really, really like bestiary 1 to 3 and I hope they stay the same, my hopes are for another bestiary 2 and 3 type of thing with enough mixtures, as bestiary 1 was pretty much a copy of D&D's first monster manual, I liked the second and third bestiary more with many monsters from folklore, many mythology, many from storybooks, some from D&D, some of the 3.5 monster manual, some from alice in wonderland and some from lovecraft, a very good mixture.

Of all monsters in the bestairies I like the never seen before ones most, I was really happy to see the Alraune and Rusalka for example in the bestairy 3, also the boogieman, bandersnatch and baykok suprised me, I hope to see that again in bestairy 4! And while the theme in 3 was asian style monsters there were enough others! My nightmare would be a Robot or Modern History theme to bestiary 4. Also my nightmare would be if it would be like D&D 4th edition, that in bestairy 4 more hobgoblins and kobold will be added with different weapons and functions, I really hate that in D&D 4th edition, its the reason I stopped buying from them and ended up (happily) on pathfinders path.

Last but not least, keep the same artist! I really like this current artstyle! They are made by different artist but they all look like they are made by one and the same artist! Really cool! The art is all very awesome, beautiful and realistic, I also like cartoony/less serious artwork, but not for monsters.

Taldor

1 person marked this as a favorite.
JiCi wrote:


Although the Monster Manual 5 was better, the new format made official by the Monster Manual 4 left a bad taste in players' mouths. So, my request, as a whole, would be this:
- Keep the same format as Bestiary 1 to 3

You are aware that Paizo is using the very format that left a bad taste in player's mouths?


Sincubus wrote:
This X 1000, really don't go the D&D way with making the bestairies smaller and smaller, I not 100% agree that all adventure path monsters should be used, as if they will take the entire book and I think new monsters should be there too, so leave the azi for example out (j/k):p

Yeah... I just figured out that 5 monsters times 6 booklets times 10 Adventures Paths equal 300 monsters. I wouldn't say no to half that amount though :)

Sincubus wrote:
-1 for your robot wish however, I think they should be in the inner sea bestiary, don't really like the final fantasy type of mixture.

Your call...

Sincubus wrote:
I really, really like bestiary 1 to 3 and I hope they stay the same, my hopes are for another bestiary 2 and 3 type of thing with enough mixtures, as bestiary 1 was pretty much a copy of D&D's first monster manual, I liked the second and third bestiary more with many monsters from folklore, many mythology, many from storybooks, some from D&D, some of the 3.5 monster manual, some from alice in wonderland and some from lovecraft, a very good mixture.

Agreed; then again, it depends on what Paizo can use... because I think that most monsters published after Monster Manual 1 were copyrighted by Wizards of the Coast.

Sincubus wrote:
Of all monsters in the bestairies I like the never seen before ones most, I was really happy to see the Alraune and Rusalka for example in the bestairy 3, also the boogieman, bandersnatch and baykok suprised me, I hope to see that again in bestairy 4! And while the theme in 3 was asian style monsters there were enough others! My nightmare would be a Robot or Modern History theme to bestiary 4. Also my nightmare would be if it would be like D&D 4th edition, that in bestairy 4 more hobgoblins and kobold will be added with different weapons and functions, I really hate that in D&D 4th edition, its the reason I stopped buying from them and ended up (happily) on pathfinders path.

While you might not like robots, having 3 highly-advanced constructs wouldn't be that bad, since it can happen in games. As for recycled monsters, I don't think ever see that again, because the Advanced Race Guide and the NPC codex cover that.

Sincubus wrote:
Last but not least, keep the same artist! I really like this current artstyle! They are made by different artist but they all look like they are made by one and the same artist! Really cool! The art is all very awesome, beautiful and realistic, I also like cartoony/less serious artwork, but not for monsters.

Same artist ? As long as they make place for new artists in addition of keeping the same, I'm okay with that.


Hama wrote:
JiCi wrote:


Although the Monster Manual 5 was better, the new format made official by the Monster Manual 4 left a bad taste in players' mouths. So, my request, as a whole, would be this:
- Keep the same format as Bestiary 1 to 3
You are aware that Paizo is using the very format that left a bad taste in player's mouths?

What I meant by "format" is "keeping 1-page monster stats". Monster Manual 4 and 5 stretched it to 3 or even 4 pages that ended up being useless fluff, thus having less monsters in the book.

As for the stat block format itself, WotC explained why they changed it: to make it an easier reading. I'm okay with that.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Paizo can use most monsters from the monster manual 1(3.0/3.5) and still have a few they haven't used but still can like the Ravid. They can also use anything in the Tome of horrors, Epic level handbook, and I think the Psionics handbook.

I care more if I like the art for the creature so wether the artist is new or old I don't really care. Just because I like an artist doesn't mean I like his version of every thing he does.

I am fine with some sci-fi monsters in my bestiaries as long as there is a variety of creatures from myth/folklore, literature, old D&D, new/original, APs(and other Paizo books), and from popculture, I am fine.


My understanding is that the Inner Sea Bestiary will cover monsters with more a direct tie-in with Golarion, since the Bestiaries are setting neutral. SO I would be surprised if we see monsters from that book making it into future Bestiaries.

I think they have the right approach with AP's...Pick the favorites/those in need of revision and include them. Probably be impossible to ever include all of the AP monsters, just because of the number of AP's in a year.

Also, + 1000 for keeping the same format as the previous bestiaries. I love that the books contain a ton of monsters, and most of the entries are confined to a page. Plus there is plenty of room for fluff in most cases. The only area I wouldn't mind changing is providing perhaps an extra page or two when they introduce a new type of dragon or other major creature. As is, especially with the dragon entries, It's hard for me to get an impression of the mindset/personality/niche of the different Imperial and Primal dragons, which are mostly novel to Pathfinder and so haven't had whole books dedicated to them.

Taldor

JiCi wrote:
Hama wrote:
JiCi wrote:


Although the Monster Manual 5 was better, the new format made official by the Monster Manual 4 left a bad taste in players' mouths. So, my request, as a whole, would be this:
- Keep the same format as Bestiary 1 to 3
You are aware that Paizo is using the very format that left a bad taste in player's mouths?

What I meant by "format" is "keeping 1-page monster stats". Monster Manual 4 and 5 stretched it to 3 or even 4 pages that ended up being useless fluff, thus having less monsters in the book.

As for the stat block format itself, WotC explained why they changed it: to make it an easier reading. I'm okay with that.

Fluff is never useless.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Fluff can be useless if it is badly written or just a bad concept in general.


If fluff kills the amount of creatures you have in the books, I kill the fluff instead. :D


Sincubus wrote:
If fluff kills the amount of creatures you have in the books, I kill the fluff instead. :D

QFT

Taldor

2 people marked this as a favorite.

I prefer quality over quantity


I prefer more monsters and more artworks over 10 pages brabeling over Hobgoblins, Drow and other such overused creatures, cuz that is what monster manual 4 and 5 of D&D did.

And all those story elements you can add yourself.


I don't think they would bother doing that anyway, since they have the revisited line to do more complex Golarion-centric fluff


MMCJawa wrote:
I don't think they would bother doing that anyway, since they have the revisited line to do more complex Golarion-centric fluff

Indeed!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I for one love Paizo's 1-2 page format for monsters in there Bestiaries.

1,251 to 1,300 of 2,238 << first < prev | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder RPG / Paizo Products / Bestiary 4 Wish List All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.