Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Ultimate Combat Playtest Away!

Monday, January 24, 2011

Surprise! It's playtest time again.

Today we are unleashing the playtest for Ultimate Combat, a new sourcebook for the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, due to be released later this year.

In this playtest you'll get a first shot at playing the gunslinger, ninja, and samurai alternative classes.

Each alternative class gives you 20 full levels of blazing barrels, silent death, or relentless resolve, depending on the class. You can find these classes as a free PDF. Once you have downloaded the classes and used them in your game, wander over to the messageboards, where you'll find places to discuss the classes and post your playtest results. We look forward to hearing what you have to say about these three new classes.

This playtest lasts three weeks, until Monday February 14th.

Tune in next week for Part 3 of the Intelligent Magic Item design blog. We figured you wouldn't mind the delay if you got three new classes to chew on.

Stephen Radney-MacFarland
Pathfinder RPG Designer

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Gunslingers Ninja Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Playtest Samurai
1 to 50 of 72 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

Pathfinder Tales Subscriber

Wow! Where's the time gone?

Paizo Employee Developer

I think Ms. Gunslinger winked at me.

Andoran

Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

And I was worrying I wouldn't get to see it before I deployed. :P

Cheliax

Thank you.


No, Adam. She was definitely looking my way!

Paizo Employee Developer

Urizen wrote:
No, Adam. She was definitely looking my way!

Pfft.

Andoran

Downloaded! Thank you!

Cheliax

Adam Daigle wrote:
Urizen wrote:
No, Adam. She was definitely looking my way!
Pfft.

She told me she was looking at both of you. One for each gun.


Pathfinder Tales Subscriber

My Reactions So Far:

Gunslinger: Uncertainty
Ninja: Acceptance
Samurai: Hyperventilation


Adam Daigle wrote:
Urizen wrote:
No, Adam. She was definitely looking my way!
Pfft.

It is obvious that this contest cannot be decided by our knowledge of the Force, but by our skills with a [gun]. /Count_Dooku

Osirion

Holy Guacamole!


Pathfinder Tales Subscriber
Urizen wrote:
Adam Daigle wrote:
Urizen wrote:
No, Adam. She was definitely looking my way!
Pfft.
It is obvious that this contest cannot be decided by our knowledge of the Force, but by our skills with a [gun]. /Count_Dooku

My samurai would be glad to face off a flumph for you...


So when do we get to start complaining about mechanics?

Paizo Employee Developer

Cartigan wrote:
So when do we get to start complaining about mechanics?

You've already reached your quota.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Tales Subscriber

Now we need a Pirates vs Ninjas playtest!


Mark Moreland wrote:
Cartigan wrote:
So when do we get to start complaining about mechanics?
You've already reached your quota.

I bought some more from the peasants for a copper.


Mairkurion {tm} wrote:

My Reactions So Far:

Gunslinger: Uncertainty
Ninja: Acceptance
Samurai: Hyperventilation

to the power of -1 :D

But I'm a huge fan of gunslingers, and love to see some more Swashbuckling action in Pathfinder.

Paizo Employee Lead Designer

Cartigan wrote:
So when do we get to start complaining about mechanics?

As usual, thanks for bringing positivity to the table.

Jason

Paizo Employee Developer

Mairkurion {tm} wrote:
Urizen wrote:
Adam Daigle wrote:
Urizen wrote:
No, Adam. She was definitely looking my way!
Pfft.
It is obvious that this contest cannot be decided by our knowledge of the Force, but by our skills with a [gun]. /Count_Dooku
My samurai would be glad to face off a flumph for you...

Awww. That's cute.

Qadira

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

This just looks awesome. And the Gunslinger? Perfect for Rhune... Muahahahaha....


Jason Bulmahn wrote:
Cartigan wrote:
So when do we get to start complaining about mechanics?

As usual, thanks for bringing positivity to the table.

Jason

Apparently I was confused as to the point of a playtest.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion Subscriber
Cartigan wrote:
Jason Bulmahn wrote:
Cartigan wrote:
So when do we get to start complaining about mechanics?

As usual, thanks for bringing positivity to the table.

Jason

Apparently I was confused as to the point of a playtest.

No, you got it backwards. The playtest is confused as to the point of you :)


DM_aka_Dudemeister wrote:
Now we need a Pirates vs Ninjas playtest!

Pirates? where? to arms!! (now I want a pirate variant :O )

Paizo Employee Lead Designer

Cartigan wrote:
Jason Bulmahn wrote:
Cartigan wrote:
So when do we get to start complaining about mechanics?

As usual, thanks for bringing positivity to the table.

Jason

Apparently I was confused as to the point of a playtest.

I guess I just see a difference between offering constructive feedback and complaining. One is positive.. the other less so.

That is all

Jason


Gorbacz wrote:
Cartigan wrote:
Jason Bulmahn wrote:
Cartigan wrote:
So when do we get to start complaining about mechanics?

As usual, thanks for bringing positivity to the table.

Jason

Apparently I was confused as to the point of a playtest.
No, you got it backwards. The playtest is confused as to the point of you :)

Damn cheating playtest. Trying to unimagine me out of existence.


One quick thing I saw -- the targeting ability for legs or wings -- it says it doesn't work on creatures that can't be tripped -- flying creatures are immune to trip meaning the wording needs changed.

Otherwise the gunslinger looks great!

I'm curious as to the brave and tough -- I realize it replaces bravery but it seems like it would be easier to just give the gunslinger good fort and reflex saves. Brave and tough puts him up to +11 fortitude anyways.

Andoran

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I can see something wrong with the ninja.

I can see it.


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Abraham spalding wrote:

One quick thing I saw -- the targeting ability for legs or wings -- it says it doesn't work on creatures that can't be tripped -- flying creatures are immune to trip meaning the wording needs changed.

Otherwise the gunslinger looks great!

I'm curious as to the brave and tough -- I realize it replaces bravery but it seems like it would be easier to just give the gunslinger good fort and reflex saves. Brave and tough puts him up to +11 fortitude anyways.

I think it refers specifically to monsters that have the "can't be tripped note next to their cmd

Also- is the Gunslinger supposed to have a +13 to their reflex saves at level twenty?

Paizo Employee Webstore Gninja Minion

Please make sure to direct your feedback over this-a-way!


editted due to above link -- thank you!


Hmmm... a minor typo that I don't know the legal complications of... perhaps none. "The Ultimate Magic Playtest is published by Paizo Publishing, LLC under the Open Game License v 1.0a Copyright 2000 Wizards
of the Coast, Inc. All other trademarks are property of Paizo Publishing, LLC. © 2011 Paizo Publishing." As this is the Ultimate Combat Playtest, does that mean this particular work isn't copyrighted? ;)

Qadira

I think I just had a geekgasm.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Derek Vande Brake wrote:

Hmmm... a minor typo that I don't know the legal complications of... perhaps none. "The Ultimate Magic Playtest is published by Paizo Publishing, LLC under the Open Game License v 1.0a Copyright 2000 Wizards

of the Coast, Inc. All other trademarks are property of Paizo Publishing, LLC. © 2011 Paizo Publishing." As this is the Ultimate Combat Playtest, does that mean this particular work isn't copyrighted? ;)

We'll fix it. Thanks!


Pathfinder Tales Subscriber
Azmahel wrote:
Mairkurion {tm} wrote:

My Reactions So Far:

Gunslinger: Uncertainty
Ninja: Acceptance
Samurai: Hyperventilation

to the power of -1 :D

But I'm a huge fan of gunslingers, and love to see some more Swashbuckling action in Pathfinder.

Yeah, I think these are the kind of classes that draw more widely varying reactions, and everybody will have different faves.


Pathfinder Tales Subscriber
Adam Daigle wrote:
Mairkurion {tm} wrote:
Urizen wrote:
Adam Daigle wrote:
Urizen wrote:
No, Adam. She was definitely looking my way!
Pfft.
It is obvious that this contest cannot be decided by our knowledge of the Force, but by our skills with a [gun]. /Count_Dooku
My samurai would be glad to face off a flumph for you...
Awww. That's cute.

You knew I'd be there for you. On further reading, of course, I thought I should have taken the ronin order and then sell my services to the highest bidder between you.

Andoran RPG Superstar 2011 Top 32

Free playtest to play with this early? Very nice surprise.

I like the guns and the gunslinger quite a bit. No cannon info yet, though. Shouldn't a 20th level gunslinger be able to lug a cannon around like Jesse Ventura in Predator (yes I'm old):). The ninja and samurai justify to me the need for tweaked classes.

Qadira

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Cards, Companion, Maps, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber

Wow. This was unexpected.

Gunslingers? And me without a campaign to make a new character in. :/

Will these be made PFS legal like the Magus was?


Wolfthulhu wrote:

Wow. This was unexpected.

Gunslingers? And me without a campaign to make a new character in. :/

Will these be made PFS legal like the Magus was?

Yup, they already are.


I love that you made "Grit" a class ability!

Cheliax

now what i have to see is the gunslinger in colour!
so will these new classes be getting iconics or will they be like the prestige guys?

Paizo Employee Designer

Jason Lillis wrote:
I love that you made "Grit" a class ability!

I'm glad you love it.


Paizo, I love you guys so much, just when you think the game gets boring, WHAM! you smack us with this. I can't wait


Gunslingers: Murlynd loves you! XD


Thanks I really appreciate the Playtest coming out so early. I have had a player chomping at the bit to play a gunslinger and I had told him about Ultimate Combat just this last sunday. He thought he would have to wait till fall for the Gunslinger so I can't wait to see his expression when i throw him this playtest next session.

After reading through it I gotta say great stuff, any other comments or criticism I will of course put in the Playtest board. Just really wanting to say thanks to Paizo for showing their players so much love.


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Awesomeness!


Wow. Up until a few minutes ago, I had absolutely zero interest in this book. Now it's suddenly on my radar. I love seeing a gunslinger class and rules for firearms. And while I wasn't keen on the idea of the samurai and ninja as full base classes, it really looks like they have the proper flavor rather than being a knockoff of the rogue or fighter/paladin. Well played, Paizo.


Gunslingers! Gunslingers! Gunslingers! Gunslingers! Gunslingers! Gunslingers! Gunslingers! Gunslingers! Gunslingers! Gunslingers! Gunslingers! Gunslingers! Gunslingers! Gunslingers! Gunslingers! Gunslingers! Gunslingers! Gunslingers! Gunslingers! Gunslingers! Gunslingers! Gunslingers! Gunslingers! Gunslingers! Gunslingers! Gunslingers! Gunslingers!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

*Runs around screaming with joy.*


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Maps Subscriber

I'm fairly pleased as well. Long ago, when I started my Monday night game with "Crucible of Chaos" one of my players had a "gunslinger" character. And I really liked that character, his concept behind it, it was a good character. He stopped playing him because another friend of ours wanted to join the group and he had a similar concept (ranger/big game hunter) instead of traveling "gun for hire" (which was the "first" gunslinger's "shtick").

Anyway, I guess what I'm getting at, is that at first blush I'm excited to see the gunslinger (and ninja and samurai) as alternate base classes (akin to the antipaladin) instead of full-on new base classes (or archetypes).

I have a game session this coming Sunday, and I think the PCs will encounter

Spoiler:
a gunslinger
so I can provide feedback about this alt. fighter class.

PS: I like that the ninja is an alternate rogue, and that the samurai is an alternate cavalier. Very appropriate I think.

Kudos!

~Dean


All this love for gunslingers ... and I suspect the majority of them would primarily hail out of the Mana Wastes (and Alkenstar) in the Golarion campaign world .... must mean .... that possibly ... maybe ... a Companion Guide ... shall surface?

Resistance is futile!

1 to 50 of 72 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder RPG / Paizo Products / Paizo Blog: Ultimate Combat Playtest Away! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.