Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

GM_Pace's Serpent's Skull

Game Master jhpace1

Another Serpent's Skull, but with psionics and 3rd party material. Uses the Pathfinder Reference Document online as well as the Open Gaming License


701 to 750 of 974 << first < prev | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | next > last >>

Male Human Gamemaster

for Phillip only:

Interesting choice on leaving two eggs behind.

(Continuing on, then, if there are no objections...)

The four of you recover the rope and grappling hook from Phillip's climb. Looking west, you continue along the beach. The inner lagoon has the same breezes as the outer curve of Smuggler's Shiv, but without the violent waves.

Sasha is chatting happily with everyone, mostly about her plans for hatching the reptile-bird and training it.

After almost an hour, the beach narrows, and all of you see three small islets off of the tip. You've reached the northern end of Smuggler's Shiv. Looking across the lagoon, you see the green, jungle-covered curve of the Shiv end in two islands - the first is rather flat, while the other is a silent grey scar on the horizon. The second island might have dwarf trees, but it's hard to tell at this distance.

Apart from the usual surf sounds, you don't hear anything at this northern tip of the island. The sun has begun its' western track, indicating that midafternoon approaches.

What do you want to do.


Male Human Aegis 1

For DM only:
I was typing this up, and I almost typed up "The parents can take care of the other two, this'll be enough for Sasha", but then i realized that that would be kinda difficult. Too late to retcon it now, though. Oh well.

How far away are the islets, approximately?


Male Human Gamemaster

(Far, too far to swim. The big map estimates the distance at more than a mile.)

(Edit: Oh, you meant the three islets. They're only a few dozen yards from the main beach. You could probably swim to them (DC 25). You would feel the stronger tides and undertow of the sea currents there.)


Female Catfolk Rogue(Scout/Knife master) 1

"So is anyone up for a swim...starting to get hot...


Male Half-Elf (Varisian) Cleric of Sarenrae 1

FYI, I will be at PAX East all day tomorrow and Sunday I will be with Family. Will Respond to game tonight when I am out of Work.


Male Human Aegis 1

"Sure am. I think I'm going to try and reach that little island, in fact."

Phillip will swim around with Ashana for a little while, first without his astral suit, also taking off his armor, and then with his astral suit on, obviously much more at ease in the water with it wrapped around him; in a few minutes, whether she comes with or not, and he by no means encourages her to do so, he will take off towards the closest islet.

Swim1d20 + 13 ⇒ (16) + 13 = 29

Boom! How about that? First try.


Male Half-Elf (Varisian) Cleric of Sarenrae 1

Looking out at the wake shaking his head "I am good, the water and I don't seem to work well together. Adriano finds a place in the shade if any and sits "I'll wait here for you.


Female Human Ranger 2D10

Sasha looked around at the others. "Well, I'm not shy. Most times." she said, shrugging. Taking off her weapons and gear, she gently put the egg sack in the sand, covering it with her equipment.
"Hey Adrinao, watch this, wouldya?"
Sasha asked the cleric. The redhead sat on the sand, taking off her boots and chain shirt.

When she stood back up, Sasha pulled up her shirt out of her trousers, re-tying it in front of her, and then bent over at the waist in front of Adriano, rolling up her cuffs above her knees. Throwing off her hat, the redhead took off at a run, joining Phillip and Ashana in the ocean surf. "Not fair - I thought you were a cat, not a tiger!" she shouted happily at the cat-woman in the water.

(Everybody gets a Perception check on Sasha, but with varying levels of difficultly due to some assumed interest from the males. :) )


Female Catfolk Rogue(Scout/Knife master) 1

Ashana will take off her gear and then head off to the water, steping in slowly as the water is quite cold compared to the heat of the day that's been beating down on her skin. She chuckles as Sasha runs off to catch up with her and shrugs. "I usually don't like water but its been so hot lately...not a good day to have a black coat... she says before trying to do the back stroke into deeper water but not getting very far. It becomes pretty clear that she's like a fish out of water when it comes to swimming.

She looks at Philip and shakes her head "Looks like I won't be joining you on the islands...I'd drown getting out there probably.

Perception check on Sasha:1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15


Male Human Aegis 1

Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 2 Damn, I'm goodat these. :P


Male Half-Elf (Varisian) Cleric of Sarenrae 1

i am back, I will read stuff and post in a bit.


Male Half-Elf (Varisian) Cleric of Sarenrae 1

Thinking he really needs to learn how to swim "not a problem I will make sure nothing happens to anything." he pat the egg gently watching as his companions head into the water.

Perceptio: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17


Male Human Aegis 1

@Ashana, It's probably best you didn't. With my skin on, I'm an incredibly powerful swimmer, and without it, I doubt I'd even be trying.


Male Human Gamemaster

for Ashana only!:

While Sasha is playfully splashing around, you catch what looks like a tattoo on her back, where her pulled-up shirt doesn't cover it (upper back/shoulders). You can't make the entire tattoo out, but it looks like insect legs. Red insect legs. The color doesn't match her hair. Humans don't have fur, so coloring themselves with tattoos is a mystery.

for Adriano only!:

From your advantageous viewpoint, while Sasha is getting ready to swim her shirt slips and you get to see her upper back quite a bit. Sasha has a large tattoo between her shoulder blades. You can't make out the entire tattoo (higher DC needed), but you do see red insect-like markings. You're a scholar, not a Bard, so it's unlikely you can piece together any meaning from the strange inking on Sasha's back.

That, and it's pretty obvious the redhead hasn't tanned herself at all recently.

For Phillip: well, nothing. ;-P

So how long are you guys & gals going to swim?


Male Human Aegis 1

I'm gonna swim with the girls here for about 10 minutes, and then I'm going to try and swim to the nearest Islet with my Skin on, as I said before.

Swim, if you'd like another one besides the one I made earlier: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (19) + 13 = 32


Female Catfolk Rogue(Scout/Knife master) 1

Ashana will splash around for about 10 minutes before getting out and getting dressed again.


Male Human Gamemaster

Phillip has no problem swimming to the tiny trio of islets. The rocky moss-covered bumps in the waves are more a hazard to navigation than a habitable piece of land. The sea life here is nothing to remark about, either. Just normal fish and small, nonthreatening crabs.

When everyone's done with swimming, all of you gather your gear. Everyone is now cooled off, even in the heat of the day, with the beach breeze helping to keep the hot sun at bay.

You've pretty much cleared the perimeter of the beach in this area, albeit by ignoring the upper jungle. You can either turn around now and go back the way all of you came, or go up to the jungle layer and see what you've missed in the interior.

So what do you want to do? It's about two o'clock, with 5-6 hours of daylight left.


Male Half-Elf (Varisian) Cleric of Sarenrae 1

i think we should do the jungle we missed.


Male Human Aegis 1

Well, shall we go up to the jungle before we head back? Search around, see if we can find anything good?

Jungle sounds good to me as well.


Male Half-Elf (Varisian) Cleric of Sarenrae 1

Sounds good we check up there, then head back towards the camp.


Female Catfolk Rogue(Scout/Knife master) 1

I agree the jungle sounds good...it will provide some shade from this sun as well.

As they head off towards the jungle Ashana will approach Sasha. I noticed some funny looking colorings on your back earlier? Are they some sort of really organized birth mark? Hope I'm not being to forward by asking but they looked interesting.


Male Human Gamemaster

(You're going to have to make a 100-foot climb up steep cliffs to return to the jungle level. One person can make the 3 sequential Climb checks, tie a rope around a tree, and lower it for everyone else. Or someone can make ranged to-hit check with the grappling hook, and everyone can make the Climb checks. It's three DC 10s for the others if someone goes up first, or three DC 15 checks for everyone with the grappling hook. If anybody takes the time to knot the rope, it would be DC 10 even with the grappling hook.)

Map of the area you've explored so far


Female Human Ranger 2D10

The redhead gave a noticeable start when Ashana mentioned her markings. "It's probably nothing you've heard about. Just a tattoo." She answered the cat-girl. "And...it's personal." Sasha added, her hand with the missing pinky finger moving up to adjust the collar of her shirt higher around her neck. The woman appeared to be put off by the question, but she dropped her hand back to the egg in the sack on her hip, thoughtful.


Male Half-Elf (Varisian) Cleric of Sarenrae 1

After seeing the response from Sasha when Ashana commented on her markings he decided to leave it for now. "so Sasha what are you going to name the creature inside the egg when it hatches. doing his best to not think of the climbing he is going to have to do.


Male Human Aegis 1

"Yes, that's a good question. What will you be naming it, Sasha?"

After the above conversation pans out:

"Well, I may as well start climbing, eh?"

Climb checks
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20

About a third of the way up, Phillip loses a bit of footing, but he quickly regains his composure. Once up, he'll hook the grappling hook to a suitable anchor, and put knots in the rope for the others to climb up.


Female Human Ranger 2D10

"Hmm..." Sasha mused. She started listing names out loud, as to test them, while Phillip tackled the cliff. "Diver? Killer? Flappy? Dino? Dimor? Hey! Watch your footing there, Phillip!" the woman called out, shading her eyes as she watched the blond man scramble up the cliff. "Fido? Hmm...its' parents didn't do too well with flyby attacks."


Male Human Aegis 1

As he reaches the top, he calls down, "No, they certainly didn't."

Once he finishes knotting the rope and sending it down: "Well, come on up."


Male Half-Elf (Varisian) Cleric of Sarenrae 1

This should be good

Adriano wraps his hand with cloth hoping those will work as make shift gloves to climb off the beach.

Climb 1d20 ⇒ 4

Adriano falls after a few feet determined to make it up he tries again.

Climb 1d20 ⇒ 14

Climb 1d20 ⇒ 13

Climb 1d20 ⇒ 11

it is a dc 10 correct?


Female Catfolk Rogue(Scout/Knife master) 1

Yes dc10 according to the dm's post

Ashana starts as she sees that Sasha is missing a finger and wants to ask how she lost it but senses that the redhead doesn't really want prying questions at the moment. Once Philip lowers the rope and Adriano climbs up Ashana will try her luck.

Climb checks:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 241d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 181d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19


Female Human Ranger 2D10

The last to climb the rope, Sasha decided to go up slow and steady (i.e., "taking 10" for an 11). She moved the egg to her back, adjusting the burlap sack. Halfway up Sasha muttered "I should have put the egg up the rope first. Ah well."

After taking twice as long as the others, Sasha finally made it up to the cliff's edge.


Male Human Gamemaster

With everyone atop the jungle layer, you have a much better view of the islands across the lagoon. There's not much difference, just a more complete view of the strangely small grey trees on the big island.

Turning back to the interior jungle, you navigate by the sun to determine how you are walking back to camp. But the jungle layer lacks the innate breezes of the beach, and the first thing that assaults your senses is the overwhelming heat! You have to walk back in this?

(Everybody give me a Fortitude save as well as a Survival check. And tell me if you want to hug the cliff coastline to get back, or you want to chop your way through the middle of the island back to camp.)


Female Human Ranger 2D10

Fortitude check: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7 (FAIL)
Survival check: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15 (gives a +2 to Fortitude checks against severe weather; does not make the DC.)

(Sasha will take 1d4 ⇒ 3 subdual damage because of the heat in an hour.)


Male Human Aegis 1

Fort save: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13

Survival: 1d20 ⇒ 3

Not sure I like that. Either of them.


Male Half-Elf (Varisian) Cleric of Sarenrae 1

Fortitude Check: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9
Survival Check: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21

I think I can use the Scimitar to cut through the jungle to get back to the camp which might be a quicker route then skirting the coast.


Male Human Aegis 1

That'll probably work best, yeah. I've also got short swords and a handaxe for anyone who doesn't have a slashing weapon. While not optimal, they should work.


Female Catfolk Rogue(Scout/Knife master) 1

Fortitude Check:1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16
Survival Check:1d20 + 0 ⇒ (7) + 0 = 7


Male Human Gamemaster

Sasha took 3 points subdual damage from the heat.
Phillip takes 1d4 ⇒ 3 points subdual damage from the heat.
Adriano takes 1d4 ⇒ 3 points subdual damage from the heat.

(Adriano had the highest Survival roll, and consensus appears to be to hack your way through the jungle.)

Using the sun as a guide through the jungle, the four of you set off through the leafy underbrush. Adriano's scimitar proved most effective at cutting the vines and leaves. Unfortunately, after an hour everyone but Ashana is covered in sweat and feeling the steamy heat. Another half-hour after that, Adriano and Sasha notice that the ground is sloping up a little, as if all of you are approaching a hill.

The wind picks up, clouds move in, and a sudden afternoon downpour drenches everyone. It's the afternoon rain on the island. (Perception checks are -4 for the duration of the rainfall.)

(So do you A.) find some shelter, or B.) keep going in the rain? Either way, I'll take a Perception check.)


Female Human Ranger 2D10

Perception 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12

"Somebody tell me they can find us a dry spot in all this rain!" Sasha shouted from the rear of the party.


Male Human Aegis 1

Perception: 1d20 - 4 ⇒ (13) - 4 = 9

I can barely see, so that's a no for me. Anybody else?


Male Half-Elf (Varisian) Cleric of Sarenrae 1

I think looking for a dry spot would be best just to avoid any issues with mud slides and the like.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26


Female Catfolk Rogue(Scout/Knife master) 1

Perception check:1d20 + 4 - 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 - 4 = 9

"I'm with Philip...I can barely see in this down poor. I think we should should head for dryer ground though."


Male Human Gamemaster

for Adriano only!:

(You rolled the only good Survival and Perception checks. That counts for something.)

You can make out your surroundings much better than the others in the rain (must be that hat), and you can see the streams of runoff forming from higher up the hill and going past your feet. The streams are turning into rivers. Downhill is definitely worse than uphill in this case.

You do spy an outcropping several feet higher on the hill...it might be a cave. Better than looking for the biggest tree to shelter you from the downpour.

Summer lightning crashes in the clouds above everyone. The thunder is terrific, along with rain in cloudy sunlight.


Male Half-Elf (Varisian) Cleric of Sarenrae 1

Adriano looks around down at the base of the hill seeing the water pool then glances up the hill and sees something up a little ways that might be something they might use as cover.

"I think I see something up the hill it might be some cover."


Male Human Aegis 1

Well then, what are we waiting for? Let's get up there!


Female Catfolk Rogue(Scout/Knife master) 1

I'm all for getting out of this rain Ashana says as she starts heading towards the spot that Adriano found.

Climb check if needed:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24


Male Human Gamemaster

The four of you, almost led by the hand by Adriano, make it to what appears to be an open cave. Although the back of the cave is in shadow, the wide entrance only has a few spiderwebs. All of you bustle out of the rain.

Before you can move much past the entrance out of the downpour, however, a strange smell assaults your senses...as well as the furious hissing of several disturbed snakes!

(Roll for initiative! And nobody has darkvision, so the part of the hill cave "in shadow" is going to have that 50% miss chance. Use the map below to place yourselves.)

Map of the hill cave

DM rolls, nothing to see here:

Initiative = 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23
Ad Sa Ash Ph 1d4 ⇒ 4 boy, Phillip sure is unlucky


Female Human Ranger 2D10

"Well, that's better." Sasha said loudly, shaking the water out of her mail shirt. Her nose wrinkled. "Ugh! It smells like-" the woman's eyes widened as she heard the multiple hissing coming from behind her, deeper in the back of the cave.

Initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15


Male Human Aegis 1

Much. comes the reply from Phillip, before he too smells the smell, and hears the snakes, at which point he says: Hmm.... I could be mistaken.

Initiative: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9

Edit: Whatever happens, Phillip's first action will be to produce his Skin (Swift), draw his rapier, (move) and attack the nearest hostile( Standard), so I'll put down my rolls.

Attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22
Damage: 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8
Edit: Dice changed mid-post. :/


Male Half-Elf (Varisian) Cleric of Sarenrae 1

Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8


Female Catfolk Rogue(Scout/Knife master) 1

Initative:1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9

701 to 750 of 974 << first < prev | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM_Pace's Serpent Skull IC (Psionics / 3rd party friendly) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.