Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


Aubrey's Rise of the Runelords campaign

Game Master Aubrey the Malformed


9,201 to 9,250 of 12,463 << first < prev | 180 | 181 | 182 | 183 | 184 | 185 | 186 | 187 | 188 | 189 | 190 | next > last >>

Female Elf Wizard (Transmuter) 6 / Ranger 1 / Eldritch Knight 2

Magnimar:
If it’s evening Elisile will sleep. Guys, do you think we should press our case to the Pathfinders, ie, try to go above Gorangel’s head and present our own point of view, or should we wait until they contact us (or not)?

In the meantime I think it’s worth checking out other avenues. In the morning Elisile will go and visit first the Golemworks, then the Stone of Seers. Anyone want to come with?


Male Halfling Rogue/10 AC:23 HP:80{83} Dravite
Hudak wrote:

Sandpoint:

** spoiler omitted **

Spoiler:
I thought we were already at the Rusty Dragon? Oh well. Camlo nods, and follows his companions, not wanting to incriminate himself any more.

Sandpoint:

Spoiler:
You are. At least someone is reading this stuff.

Cheliax

Wintergreen's CE PA IT Geek 10/Daddy 6/Physicist 3/Cartographer 1/Runner 1
Aubrey the Demented/Malformed wrote:

Sandpoint:

** spoiler omitted **

Off Topic for Aubs:
I'm part way through running Burnt Offerings for the 3rd *and* 4th times. I'd be fairly sure where Ameiko would turn up even if you hadn't mentioned it!

Male Human (Shoanti) Cleric 10

Sandpoint:

Spoiler:
"The Hagfish? What do you take us for, barbarians?" Alwyn is grinning broadly. "I'm going upstairs to change out of this armour. When I get down, I want lots of food and lots of drink. And keep it coming - tonight, everybody eats and drinks on me!"


Male Halfling Rogue/10 AC:23 HP:80{83} Dravite

Magnanimous in Sandpoint:
"On us Alwyn. You can't h-hog all the glory, again!" Camlo winks. But puts a purse down on the bar to make sure everyone knows he means it. "I too would like to wash the smell of the road of my person. Do you have someone to show me to a room my lady? And to heat a bath?"


Magnimar:

Spoiler:
That night the weather is foul, and the companions cannot help but think of their friends out on the road to Sandpoint (though in reality, by this point they were in the high-class brothel in Absalom enjoying the hot-tub with some company, but I don't want to give too much away...).

The next morning it is breezy but bright and the friends gather to discuss their next move in the common room. However, they are interrupted by one of the maids. She looks edgy, to say the least, wringing her hands in her apron.

"Um, ladies, gentlemen, there's someone here to see you -"

With that she is rudely shoved aside and three heavily-armoured men, dressed in ornate platemail, march into the room. Shields hang from their backs and a variety of weapons swing from leather harnesses. With their faces still concealed by their visored helms, one of them asks curtly in a muffled voice, "Are you the adventurers from Turtleback Ferry?"

Knowledge Local or Knowledge (Religion) 10 (answer in the next spoiler).

Result of the skill check in Magnimar:

Spoiler:
These are hellknights, forces of law and (brutal) justice across Varisia and beyond.


Relaxation in Sandpoint:

Spoiler:
I'll assume you chill for a couple of days in Sandpoint.

The next few days are an enjoyable relaxation, catching up with old friends. Lo'j finds out that Alwyn and Hudak are back in town. He has been living with his cousin, the mayor, and helping out as Sheriff Hemlock's deputy in training the militia. The next evening involves a beery session of boasting as the old comrades swap stories. By then, the whole town has found out that the heroes of Sandpoint have returned, and the adventurers are greeted with cheery waves or clapped on the back as they wander through town. A dinner is held by Mayor Deverin the evening after, with a special "Shoanti theme" - roast aurochs on a spit in the main square, with townsfolk and worthies mixing drunkenly.

Anything you want to do in this period particularly?


Male Human (Shoanti) Cleric 10

Sandpoint:

Spoiler:
"Pit-roasted auroch!? Now this is living!"

I was hoping to find a ship to take us to Riddleport or, alternatively, Roderic's Cove. I'm going down to the harbour every morning to look for trustworthy transport.


male Human Shoanti Fighter 10 xp 79042

Sandpoint:

Spoiler:
I'm going to ask around about the sandpoint devil....and try as smoothly as I can to mac daddy on Ameiko.
Will accompany brother to the docks as well.

gather info untrained 1d20 ⇒ 11


Female Elf Wizard (Transmuter) 6 / Ranger 1 / Eldritch Knight 2

Mismatched in Magnimar:
"We could be called adventurers, and we have been to Turtleback Ferry," answers Elisile warily but honestly. "What do you want of us?"


3 people marked this as a favorite.
male Human Shoanti Fighter 10 xp 79042

Note.....If you read, please don't hold hot coffee over your crotch at that time.

Sandpoint:

Spoiler:

Ameiko's Song
by
Hudak (I.E. Bernie Taupin)

It's a little bit funny this feeling inside
I'm not one of those who can easily hide
I don't have much money but boy if I did
I'd find a big house and clean it out of the undead,
If I was a sculptor, but then again, no
Or a man who makes potions in a travelling show (like Vethran)
I know it's not much but it's the best I can do
My gift is my song and this one's for you
And you can tell everybody this is your song
It may be quite simple but now that it's done
I hope you don't mind
I hope you don't mind that I put down in words
How wonderful life is while you're in the world
I sat on the roof and kicked off the moss
Well a few of the verses well they've got me quite cross
But the sun's been quite kind while I wrote this song
It's for people like you that keep it turned on
So excuse me forgetting but these things I do
You see I've forgotten if they're green or they're blue
Anyway the thing is what I really mean
Yours are the sweetest eyes I've ever seen

Cheliax

Wintergreen's CE PA IT Geek 10/Daddy 6/Physicist 3/Cartographer 1/Runner 1
Hudak wrote:

Note.....If you read, please don't hold hot coffee over your crotch at that time.

Sandpoint:
** spoiler omitted **

Hudak just took a level in Bard! Brilliant!


Sandpoint:

Spoiler:
Three CHA checks from Hudak.

Enquiries at the dock reveal that at this time of year, few if any ships are expected that will sail north. However, Vhiski's caravan is headed ultimately to Riddleport, and will set off in a few days.

Magnimar:

Spoiler:
"Do you know the whereabouts of a Camlo Zanovia?"


male Human Shoanti Fighter 10 xp 79042

Sandpoint:

Spoiler:
all or nothing....Hudak goes for the gusto.
1d20 ⇒ 1
1d20 ⇒ 12
1d20 ⇒ 12

preparing to link to Youtube video of "Shot Down in Flames" by AC/DC....


male Human Shoanti Fighter 10 xp 79042

Sandpoint:

Spoiler:
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMBLE!!! woah....unlucky at dice AND love!


Male Human (Shoanti) Cleric 10

Sandpoint:

Spoiler:
"So, with no ships sailing... Should we tag along with Vhiski and his wandering minstrel show? It probably beats walking alone and sleeping in a ditch..."


male Human Shoanti Fighter 10 xp 79042

Sandpoint:

Spoiler:
I want some ice cream. Yeah; that sounds cool...tagging along with them and all.


Male Halfling Rogue/10 AC:23 HP:80{83} Dravite
Hudak wrote:

Sandpoint:

** spoiler omitted **

Spoiler:
Camlo spends an evening at Sandpoint's theatre, and tgs along to the docks once or twice. He is even spotted leaving the Pixie's Kitten early one morning, with a lithe elf on is arm. But come time to leave, he will happily follow along with the others, by ship or caravan.

Female Elf Wizard (Transmuter) 6 / Ranger 1 / Eldritch Knight 2

Spoiler:
"Not currently," responds Elisile.


Sandpoint:

Spoiler:
Everything had seemed to be going so well, and then Ameiko uttered the fateful words: "You are a good friend to me, Hudak."

So much for poetry...

Vhiski seems pleased to have the three along with him on his caravan. The trip should take about two weeks, heading up the Lost Coast Road to the base of the Fogscar Mountains, the cross-country to Galduria on Ember Lake. Then the route skirts thegoblin-infested Churlwood to Roderic's Cove, and then along the coast to Riddleport.

"We should be leaving tomorrow. With any luck, you'll get a ship back down to Magnimar. Best finish up any business here, and then we'll set off.

Like the man said, finish up any business / purchases and away: adventure calls!


Magnimar:

Spoiler:
"Don't play games! Where is the slip? He is wanted for murder."


Male Human (Varisian) Wizard (Evoker) 9

Magnimar:
Vethran exchanges curious glances with Elisile and Illes before turning to the armored men. "My companion speaks truth. We do not know the current whereabouts of the individual you seek. I can assure you, however, that he is not currently within the confines of Magnimar nor is he under our protection. Last I knew he was in the company of some Shoanti tribesmen, which means at this point he could be pretty much anywhere in Varisia."


Magnimar:

Spoiler:
"Two Shoanti tribesmen. As in your erstwhile companions, the priest and the warrior? Where are they heading?"


male Human Shoanti Fighter 10 xp 79042

Sandpoint:

Spoiler:
f+++ this place! brings back bad memories. Let's get the f@*# outta here. and never come back. EVER.


Female Elf Wizard (Transmuter) 6 / Ranger 1 / Eldritch Knight 2

Murderous Magnimar:
“We are answering your questions truthfully, without deceit,” says Elisile mildly. “If you are more specific in your questions, then our answers can likewise be more specific. If the halfling is indeed a murderer, then I have no desire to protect him, although in our brief association he did not strike me as having the character for such a deed. Who is he accused of murdering and under what circumstances? As we are assisting you in locating our former companion, it seems only fair that we know what deeds he is accused of.

“At any rate, in answer to your specific question, yes, when we parted ways with our companions, the Shoanti brothers, Camlo was in their company. We have had no contact with them for a few days, and I cannot say for certain whether the halfling remains with them. The Shoanti brothers were headed north – I do not know their final destination or the route they plan to take.” All true enough.

Know local to identify which order this Hellknight belongs to and what their jurisdiction – both geographically and philosophically – is. 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (3) + 12 = 15
Know local to see if she has heard anything of a murder that Camlo may have been involved in or accused of: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (7) + 12 = 19


Magnimar:

Spoiler:
"No, you are not cooperating, you are dissembling and providing half-answers. You are owed no debt of confidence. The only debt is to justice, which you are hindering by your attempt to protect your former associate. You can answer our questions here or you can return with us to our chapter house and we can question you there. So I ask you again. Where is Zenovia!"

Elisile:

Spoiler:
They are likely to be the Order of the Nail, as that is the main order that operates in Varisia. They have jurisdiction across Varisia, granted to them by the governments in Korvosa and Magnimar. How they exercise this jurisdiction is down to them.


Male Human (Varisian) Wizard (Evoker) 9

Magnimar:
Vethran furrows his brow, obviously growing impatient with the local law enforcement. "I scryed his position mere hours ago, and at that time he was traveling with the Shoanti down a road that runs along a cliff by the sea. We truthfully do not know their final destination nor even their exact whereabouts. I'm not sure what else you want from us. Do you want me to teleport you directly to them?!" He balls a fist in anger.


Female Elf Wizard (Transmuter) 6 / Ranger 1 / Eldritch Knight 2

Magnimar:
Elisle throws Vethran a slight frown, then turns her attention back to the Hellknight. “There you have it. You now know as much about his whereabouts and situation as we do. To question us further would be a waste of your time and ours.”


Magnimar:

Spoiler:
The hellknights exchange looks.... And then draw their weapons. "You will surrender for questioning."


HP 68/68, AC 21, T 12, FF 19, CMD 19 Performance 30/30

Magnimar:

Spoiler:

Illes has been lounging on the bed throughout the exchange watching it slowly spiral. It wasn't exactly a surprise. In his experience encounters between Varisians and colonial law usually went down the same path. When the weapons came out of their scabbards he figured it was time to intervene before things got ugly. "Relax gentlemen- there is no need for those weapons. If we knew more, we would certainly tell you but the truth of the matter is your order has a reputation weighted a little more toward brutal than justice in the wilds of Varisia. I'm sorry to say it, but you have to understand my companions hesitance in dealing with colonial law."

The bard fixes one of them with a direct look, "We have fully answered your questions to the best of our ability." Then he shifts to the other, "There is no need to take us in for further questioning."

Perform: Oratory
Fascinate - Will DC 21: both hellknights
Pass = immune to my bardic fascinate for 24 hours
Fail leaves them open to multiple suggestions until they fail the saves or I run out of my 28 performance rounds
Suggestions: Will DC 21, 9 hours.


Magnimar:

Spoiler:
Save 1: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21
Save 2: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5
Save 3: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16

Two of the hellknights begin nodding as Illes murmurs his soothing words. But the leader shakes his head as if clearing it and then yells, "Your Varisian mind-tricks will not work on me, boy! Seize them!" He leaps forwards and tries to smash the pommel of his sword into Illes face.

1d20 + 13 - 4 ⇒ (4) + 13 - 4 = 13 to hit, 1d8 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9 subdual damage.

You might want to roll initiaitve.


HP 68/68, AC 21, T 12, FF 19, CMD 19 Performance 30/30

Magnimar

Spoiler:
Illes twists out of the way to avoid the pommel and retorts "Are you sure about that? They worked well enough on your mother."

Init 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
Whoops. Thought it was just two. Illes is capable of fascinating three, but not this time.
Even flat footed and without the shield he has AC 15.


Male Human (Shoanti) Cleric 10

Sandpoint:

Spoiler:
I have nothing I wish to buy. Beyond my platemail and my gift brandy cask, I travel light.


Female Elf Wizard (Transmuter) 6 / Ranger 1 / Eldritch Knight 2

Maulings in Magnimar:
This is not the halfling you’re looking for.

We are in the common room of the inn, right? Plenty of civilians about?

Init: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18

“What is it about you law and order types that makes you so quick to draw weapons?” Elisile sighs, absently hoping that there will be a good market for the ransuer in Riddleport ...


Male Human (Varisian) Wizard (Evoker) 9

Magnimar Massacre:
Init: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19 The mage sighs and prepares to bring his considerable arcane repertoire to bear.


Female Elf Wizard (Transmuter) 6 / Ranger 1 / Eldritch Knight 2

Magnimar

Spoiler:
“It will likely be best not to kill any of these lawmen in so public a place,” Elisile murmurs quietly to Vethran, noticing the familiar glow in his eyes.


Male Human (Varisian) Wizard (Evoker) 9

Magnimar:
"Perish the thought. A debilitating display should be more than enough to send them packing, though. No permanent harm done," he replies to the elf, rolling up his sleeve as the red dragon tattoo pulses with inner light.


Wading in blood through Magnimar:

Spoiler:
To answer Elisile's question, yes, there are plenty of non-combatants around, although at this time in the morning it is far from packed. They are mostly staff rather than customers.

Hellknight initiatives:
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13

Initiatives
Vethran 19
Elisile 18
Hellknights 13
Illes 3

Alright, let the fun commence.


Leaving Sandpoint in the dust:

Spoiler:
The caravan is packed and ready to leave the following morning, early. Goodbyes were largely said last night, at the Rusty Dragon, with a merry feast held there for the adventurers and Vhiski's men by Ameiko. (How merry you are feeling, of course, depends if you just got the brush-off or not, of course...)

With everything prepared, the caravan hauls out without much preamble, heading northwards along the road into the wilderness.

Time to emote, if you feel so inclined.

The road heads over the bridge where the adventurers managed to ambush the ambushing goblins, all those months ago, and then skirts about the Nettlewood, lair of the goblin horde and the demented priestess Nualia. The term "North Road" is something of a misnomer, as this portion of shore runs east-west before turning north. Either way, by the end of the day they are left behind for windswept views over the ocean as day turns to night.

At the evening meal, Vhiski asks Hudak, "So, how fair you? You seem to have a touch of melancholy."


Male Human (Varisian) Wizard (Evoker) 9

Magnimar Maulers:
With no map, I'm just going to assume that Vethran is somewhere other than already in melee with these guys. If possible, he'll put Elisile and Illes between himself and them (no offense guys, but you've got actual armor and HP).

Vethran snorts, steps further back from the altercation, and invokes a powerful entrapment spell upon the Hellknight commander.

Resilient sphere on the leader, DC 22 Reflex save or be trapped for 10 minutes.


A moment of madness in Magnimar:

Spoiler:
Save: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10

The hellknight is entrapped inside the sphere conjured by Vethran.


Male Halfling Rogue/10 AC:23 HP:80{83} Dravite

Sunrise and Sandpoint:
Just as they depart a young elf runs from the crowd and gives Camlo a peck on the cheek. He grins, and takes her hand, and those watching closely see a purse pass to the girl. As they leave the town, Camlo is whistling quietly to himself.


male Human Shoanti Fighter 10 xp 79042

Jilted in Sandpoint:

Spoiler:
Looks at Camlo;....
"well, looks like somebody's got the luck with the ladies."

To Vhiski;
"I'm through with women. I'm going to become a monk.
I got no use for them.
All I need is a good horse, a good sword, and a fray to havoc on.
Women? Paugh! Who needs them!!!"

bluff 1d20 ⇒ 8


Female Elf Wizard (Transmuter) 6 / Ranger 1 / Eldritch Knight 2

Madness in Magnimar:
A sleep spell would be nice here, but I’m guessing even the flunkies are too high a level for that to be effective. I really need to pick up some more spells from the enchantment school, but I guess that is Illes’ department.

Elisile takes a step back from the Hellknights to stand in front of Vethran, drawing her blade as she moves and holding it in a defensive posture. With her free hand she pulls forth a brass key from one of her belt pouches whilst murmuring under her breath, before pointing the key at the inn’s front door, which slams shut.

“That might give us a minute of privacy to deal with these fools,” she says to Vethran.

Move or five foot step back (depending on proximity to Hellknights) and draw sword, cast open/close cantrip on the door as a standard action.


Man-to-man chat with a Shoanti:

Spoiler:
"Tell me, Hudak, did I ever tell you about my brother, Alder?" asks Vhiski. He doesn't bother waiting for a reply. "Well, Alder and I lost our parents young, so we became quite the tearaways. And of course, Ameiko was often our partner in crime. That's how we ended up adventuring together. Well, Alder and Ameiko, they grew close during our adventures. Can't say I blamed him, she's a looker is our Ameiko - I considered it myself, but felt she was a bit young for me and didn't really want to queer my brothers pitch, if you know what I'm saying.

"Anyway, long story short, we ended up with some others in a mine in the middle of nowhere, doing the adventurous thing. Of course, turns out the place isn't empty, but there's a bunch of in-bred cannibals lurking inside. Captured our party, and were just getting the barbeque fired up, but me, Alder and Ameiko made a break for it with the others."

Vhiski stirs the glowing coals of th campfire with a stick.

"Well, only me, Ameiko and my brother made it out in one piece. We were just getting away when their leaders pet, this great big snake, upped and bit Ameiko. Alder dragged it off her, but it bit him too, and what with his other wounds, well... Only me and Ameiko made it to the boat."

Vhiski stares into the fire for a moment. "As far as I know, Ameiko's never really been close to anyone after that."


male Human Shoanti Fighter 10 xp 79042

Heh heh.....Sandpoint.

Spoiler:
"Yeah....huh. So she's afraid of intimacy. Of loss. Well, since I fragged her brother, I guess I can't blame her.
Maybe she thinks she's bad luck.....b...but you can't dwell on the past.
Well, she can. But I won't.
I....I didn't mean to sound like that. She's your friend. I don't mean no disrespect, Vhiski. Thanks for telling me what you told me. It doesn't make me feel better, but maybe it will. One day.
No. I won't dwell on the ghosts of the past. I plan on carving my destiny with this......(he pats Nualia's Tongue). I guess this b$#*$ sword is the only girl for me. I got no use for the past."


Words of wisdom in the wilds:

Spoiler:
"Tsuto was a lost cause, poor lad. When he fell in with Nualia... Ach, see, she's another one - held apart from everyone else, goes wild, then bad. Perhaps Sandpoint's not such an idyllic place to grow up, eh?

"See, you've got the right attitude. You want to move on. It's not you I'm worried about, it's Ameiko. She's just rotting away in that tavern of hers. I know she likes you, Hudak. I don't think she thinks anyone is responsible for Tsuto except Tsuto, and maybe Nualia. If only both of you weren't so..." - he waves his hand as he searches for the phrase - "...stiff-necked!"


Hand-to-hand combat in Magnimar:

Spoiler:
As Elisile slams the door with magic, one of the remaining hellknights shouts, "Get the wizards!" One charges Vethran, trying to bear him to the ground, while the other goes for Elisile with his sword. The third scrabbles against his force-field prison in frustration.

Hellknight on Vethran: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16 v Veth's CMD. If that hits he'll go for a pin.
Hellknight on Elisile: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30 to hit, damage 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5. Ouch: crit confirm 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22 to hit, extra damage on confirmation 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12.

Illes. Sorry for the delay for a couple of days - didn't realise it was my go.


Male Human (Varisian) Wizard (Evoker) 9

Magnimar Mayhem:
Veth's unmodified CMD is 18, so that's a miss.

The wily mage steps aside just as the Hellknight closes in, spoiling his attempt.

9,201 to 9,250 of 12,463 << first < prev | 180 | 181 | 182 | 183 | 184 | 185 | 186 | 187 | 188 | 189 | 190 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Aubrey's Rise of the Runelords campaign All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.