Heighten spells


Rules Discussion


How does heightening a spell work if my character is a non caster class but has access to casting certain spells. Do you heighten according to character level?


It depends on how the spells were acquired. By default, Cantrips are always heighten to half your level, rounded up, unless otherwise stated. If it’s a non-cantrip Spell, it’s casted at whatever level the ability which granted it states, regardless of character level.


Erik Charest wrote:
How does heightening a spell work if my character is a non caster class but has access to casting certain spells. Do you heighten according to character level?

The question is too abstract to properly answer. What are the details of the character?


Aratorin wrote:
Erik Charest wrote:
How does heightening a spell work if my character is a non caster class but has access to casting certain spells. Do you heighten according to character level?
The question is too abstract to properly answer. What are the details of the character?

Level 4 Elf rogue using otherworldly magic feat and minor magic feat. Also using sorcerer dedication and wildborn magic. All these give my character access to 6 cantrips. I just want to figure out if the cantrips would scale up with my character or not.

Liberty's Edge

This was addressed in the errata.


Erik Charest wrote:
Aratorin wrote:
Erik Charest wrote:
How does heightening a spell work if my character is a non caster class but has access to casting certain spells. Do you heighten according to character level?
The question is too abstract to properly answer. What are the details of the character?
Level 4 Elf rogue using otherworldly magic feat and minor magic feat. Also using sorcerer dedication and wildborn magic. All these give my character access to 6 cantrips. I just want to figure out if the cantrips would scale up with my character or not.

Yes, cantrips always heighten to half your character's level, rounded up, regardless of source.

CRB Pg. 300 wrote:

Cantrips

A cantrip is a special type of spell that’s weaker than other
spells but can be used with greater freedom and flexibility.
The title of a cantrip’s stat block says “Cantrip” instead
of “Spell.” Casting a cantrip doesn’t use up your spell
slots; you can cast a cantrip at will, any number of times
per day. If you’re a prepared caster, you have a number of
cantrip spell slots that you use to prepare your cantrips.
You can’t prepare a cantrip in any other slot.
A cantrip is always automatically heightened to half
your level, rounded up.
For a typical spellcaster, this means
its level is equal to the highest level of spell slot you have.


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens, PF Special Edition Subscriber

What happen to a spell effect that you heighten to much. Does it revert back to it base version, does it keep the previous heighten level effect, can you choose what effect your heighten spell have. here some examples to illustrate what I am trying to say:

- You cast Create Food with 7 level spell slot : Does it create food for 6 or 50 medium character or can you say it is the 4th level version cast with a 7 lvl spell slot?

- You are a 16 level caster who cast Detect Magic : Does the spell effects automatically keep the benefit of the 4th level version?


Aratorin wrote:

Yes, cantrips always heighten to half your character's level, rounded up, regardless of source.

CRB Pg. 300 wrote:

CantripsA cantrip is a special type of spell that’s weaker than other

spells but can be used with greater freedom and flexibility.
The title of a cantrip’s stat block says “Cantrip” instead
of “Spell.” Casting a cantrip doesn’t use up your spell
slots; you can cast a cantrip at will, any number of times
per day. If you’re a prepared caster, you have a number of
cantrip spell slots that you use to prepare your cantrips.
You can’t prepare a cantrip in any other slot.
A cantrip is always automatically heightened to half
your level, rounded up.
For a typical spellcaster, this means
its level is equal to the highest level of spell slot you have.

... unless stated otherwise.

For example, ARCANE SENSE FEAT: "You can cast 1st-level detect magic at will as an arcane innate spell. If you’re a master in Arcana, the spell is heightened to 3rd level; if you’re legendary, it is heightened to 4th level."
Which is why this feat is ... not good, because you actually need normally scaling Detect magic.

Horizon Hunters

Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber
Dorask08 wrote:
- You cast Create Food with 7 level spell slot : Does it create food for 6 or 50 medium character or can you say it is the 4th level version cast with a 7 lvl spell slot?

You can not. When a spell is cast at a specific level, it produces its effects at that level. If you want a level 4 spell use a level 4 slot.

Dorask08 wrote:
- You are a 16 level caster who cast Detect Magic : Does the spell effects automatically keep the benefit of the 4th level version?

Cantrips are (almost) always automatically heightened, and you can't cast lower level versions of them unless you have access to that lower level version from some other source. I don't see why you would ever want a lower level effect from Detect Magic though.


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

No, heightening effects do not revert.

Invisibility lists a heightening effect at level 4. If you cast Invisibility at level 6, it works like level 4 Invisibility, not like level 2 Invisibility, but with the difference of being a level 6 spell if it is relevant (like when True Seeing or Dispel Magic tries to Counteract it).

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Second Edition / Rules Discussion / Heighten spells All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.