Basketball is UnPossible - OR 10' move to even try and jump?


Running the Game


Jumping is sure helped by a running start, but there seems to be evidence it's possible without one, given the existence of the NBA.

Not so much much in P2, as far as I can tell, and I really hope I missed something...

Liberty's Edge

Patrick Baldwin wrote:

Jumping is sure helped by a running start, but there seems to be evidence it's possible without one, given the existence of the NBA.

Not so much much in P2, as far as I can tell, and I really hope I missed something...

You're missing the Quick Jump Skill Feat, removes the need for movement beforehand.


Themetricsystem wrote:
Patrick Baldwin wrote:

Jumping is sure helped by a running start, but there seems to be evidence it's possible without one, given the existence of the NBA.

Not so much much in P2, as far as I can tell, and I really hope I missed something...

You're missing the Quick Jump Skill Feat, removes the need for movement beforehand.

Sort of? It makes me sad they think that's a Feat, not just, like, how the world works. Something your average high school kid does on the regular sure doesn't seem Feat worthy to me.

Liberty's Edge

Also, to be fair, I'd like to see one clip where a player is standing still for 6 seconds and then attempts a dunk with ANY measure of success...


Themetricsystem wrote:
Also, to be fair, I'd like to see one clip where a player is standing still for 6 seconds and then attempts a dunk with ANY measure of success...

Sure, you can't jump *high* without a running start, but you can definitely jump, probably even a couple feet. Enough, to say, block a shot.

It just seems that things folks can trivially do in real life should be possible for fantasy heroes, particularly when things like "perched on the narrow ledge, Conan leapt upwards to the dangling rope and freedom" are genre staples.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Its perfectly possible within the 2nd ed. rules. Its called a leap and doesn't even require a skill check. It only requires a skill check when the distances get excessive.


Valantrix1 wrote:
Its perfectly possible within the 2nd ed. rules. Its called a leap and doesn't even require a skill check. It only requires a skill check when the distances get excessive.

You are my hero, my whole group missed that, thanks!

We have totally been spoiled by the hyperlinked SRDs.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Patrick Baldwin wrote:
We have totally been spoiled by the hyperlinked SRDs.

That, or the playtest rules have an awful organization. There are more than 150 pages between the rules for long jump and the rules for a leap. No sane person would put 150 pages the rules for a long jump and the rule for a leap.

Anyway, the rules for long jump are just a waste of space. The DC to jump over a 10 foot chasm is 20. According to table 10-2, this is a level 7 challenge. At level 7, you should have other options to cross a 10-foot chasm - a mundane rope or something. You can just forget about the long jump rules since they aren't meant to be used.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Playtest / Game Master Rules / Running the Game / Basketball is UnPossible - OR 10' move to even try and jump? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Running the Game