What's a song you really like even though you hate the message?


Music & Audio

1 to 50 of 94 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

I have a couple

1. Jamiroquai- Virtual Insanity: Since it seems to be saying technology is evil
2. Local H - Bound For The Floor: Not so much because I disagree with the lyrics but rather because the kind of person they describe really annoys me.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Love Yourself - Not so much the message itself but the delivery. It can be interpreted in different ways, but there is a lot of blaming the woman in the relationship in the lines. I rather like the response video to it from the other point of view.

Shadow Lodge

4 people marked this as a favorite.

"Don't Say a Word" by Sonata Arctica. It's about a stalker who seems to be about to ritually sacrifice his target, but damn if it isn't catchy as hell.

Dark Archive

3 people marked this as a favorite.

Ooh, Sting/the Police are good for these. 'Don't Stand So Close to Me' is about a teachers relationship with a student, and 'Every Breath You Take' is about a stalker. And both are pretty good songs.

'Ringfinger', by Nine Inch Nails, is another catchy song with creepy lyrics.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Prophet, by Slightly Stoopid.

Beautiful song, terrible message.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Another Sonata Arctica - Cloud Factory.

A cheery, upbeat tune where a father tells his son in no uncertain terms that he has to get out of this town while he can before it beats the dreams out of him into a lifeless husk going through the motions like everyone else is.

It came out at a point where it hit far too close to home for comfort. Helped me get through it, but...yeah. Not a good message at all.


There's "Let Me Be Your Armor" from Assemblage 23. The song is good until it gets to the last couple of verses:

Let me keep you from
Experience you need
Let me bind you with my selfishness
And greed

Let me stifle you
Let me have control
Let me smother
Every aspect of your soul


Ozzy Osborne- "Crazy Train."
AC/DC-"Hiway to Hell.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I listen to a lot of metal with really dark lyrics. Usually, I just operate under the assumption that the singer/writer is deliberately and consciously playing a villain and that the lyrics are just evil for the sake of being menacing/badass, and aren't actively encouraging such behavior in the real world.

That being said, B@&$@ Came Back by Theory of a Deadman. It has such a cool sounding rhythm to it, and the instrumental elements are great, but the actual lyrics are so misogynistic that they make my skin crawl. I can't honestly tell if they're meant to reflect the artist's actual views or not, but if so, yuck.

Also, I recently came across a song called I Stand by We As Human. I first heard it in an AMV and thought it sounded epic, but couldn't make out the lyrics very well. I eventually looked up the lyrics and to say that they had an awful, and downright idiotic, message would be an understatement.

Shadow Lodge

I was curious and looked it up, and with a name like that I was definitely not expecting a Christian band of any sort. But the lyrics are pretty standard Christian rock fare.


Sweet Serendipity by Lee Dywze, The Nights by Avicci. Bad advise, terrible advice, but . . . they’re the kind of songs you can’t sit still listening to. Well, maybe you can, esteemed reader. But not I. I wiggle.

Cinderblox by Sonata Arctica. First heard it in a Trigun AMV, and while I couldn’t make out the lyrics the banjo was catchy and, well, Trigun. I love me some Trigun.


Orthos wrote:
I was curious and looked it up, and with a name like that I was definitely not expecting a Christian band of any sort. But the lyrics are pretty standard Christian rock fare.

I'm not big on Christian rock. I didn't even realize that was what it was until I looked it up separate from the AMV. Maybe it's pretty standard for that, I don't really know.

Shadow Lodge

Wannabe Demon Lord wrote:
Orthos wrote:
I was curious and looked it up, and with a name like that I was definitely not expecting a Christian band of any sort. But the lyrics are pretty standard Christian rock fare.
I'm not big on Christian rock. I didn't even realize that was what it was until I looked it up separate from the AMV. Maybe it's pretty standard for that, I don't really know.

Yeah, it's not my genre either. But yeah, it's nothing I haven't heard from the snippets of that genre I've stumbled over through the years. It's actually pretty tame compared to some.

Having been raised in the faith, it actually took me a few minutes to find what someone might get offended by in the song. I hear similar statements made on a near daily basis here.


6 people marked this as a favorite.

"Happy" by Pharrell. It makes me want to sit is a dark smelly bar, chain-smoking while listening to early Tom Waits just to recover. But it's a good song.


Orthos wrote:
Wannabe Demon Lord wrote:
Orthos wrote:
I was curious and looked it up, and with a name like that I was definitely not expecting a Christian band of any sort. But the lyrics are pretty standard Christian rock fare.
I'm not big on Christian rock. I didn't even realize that was what it was until I looked it up separate from the AMV. Maybe it's pretty standard for that, I don't really know.

Yeah, it's not my genre either. But yeah, it's nothing I haven't heard from the snippets of that genre I've stumbled over through the years. It's actually pretty tame compared to some.

Having been raised in the faith, it actually took me a few minutes to find what someone might get offended by in the song. I hear similar statements made on a near daily basis here.

It's largely the ignorant science denial via irritating strawman arguments (I didn't come from a monkey) that annoyed me, and a couple of other things I won't get into here because of the ban on political debate. A big part of it was that I went into it thinking it was just a normal metal song about rising up against generic evil or something, I would have ignored it completely if I knew what it was.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

"Don't Fear the Reaper" by Blue Oyster Cult. It's a song letting the listener know it's ok to commit suicide.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Baby it's Cold outside. I used to like it...now I hate it.

Liberty's Edge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
DungeonmasterCal wrote:
"Don't Fear the Reaper" by Blue Oyster Cult. It's a song letting the listener know it's ok to commit suicide.

Ever hear the story behind that song? Buck Dharma (Donald Bruce Roeser) had been diagnosed with a heart murmur, and he was terrified of dying. He wrote the song in an attempt to allay his fears. Or so I remember hearing at some point.

EDIT: And it needs MORE COWBELL!!!

Liberty's Edge

"I Drink Alone" by George Thorogood and the Destroyers.

Pretty much anything by David Peel and the Lower East Side.

Love the songs, hate the messages.


That's true about lots of Blue Oyster Cult songs, Theconciel.

Liberty's Edge

Oh, and "Can't Stand Losing You" by the Police.

"But you'll be sorry when I'm dead
All this guilt will be on your head."

Liberty's Edge

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Thomas Seitz wrote:
That's true about lots of Blue Oyster Cult songs, Theconciel.

Which? That they were written out of Buck Dharma's fear, or that they need more cowbell?

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I actually got one:

"Riding With Private Malone", by David Ball.

It's a country song. I hate country.
It's patriotic and militaristic. Don't get me started.
It's absolutely syrupy with a culture I want nothing to do with.
Even the sweet bit about "for every dream that's shattered, another one comes true" conveys a bleak, fatalistic "scarcity-mentality/serf morality" worldview that I consider tragically and frustratingly fallacious and poisonous.

BUT IT'S ENDEARING! I can listen to the tune without wanting to scrub my ears out with silicon ingots, the sentiment (even if poignantly misguided) is heartfelt, the ending line is a nice touch, and...I dunno, maybe I like it because it's a ghost story. WHOOO-OOO-OOOO-OOOOO-OOOO-O...!

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Good catch, that one got me choked up the first time, but it falls apart on analysis.


There's quite a few country songs that have terrible messages. Most of the ones I've heard on the radio (when I've been forced to listen to country) have absolutely awful messages.

Broad strokes, I know.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I was never a huge country fan though I do like individual songs from some of the country music legends. Modern country sucks eggs. I can't stand it.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Theconiel wrote:
Thomas Seitz wrote:
That's true about lots of Blue Oyster Cult songs, Theconciel.
Which? That they were written out of Buck Dharma's fear, or that they need more cowbell?

The latter.


Tacticslion wrote:

Depending on what's meant, The Hounds, by the Protomen.

I mean, it's a villain song in the vein of classic Disney (except, you know, more... Protomen), so... it's not exactly condoning his actions. And his actions are a liiiiiiiiiiittle vague, in the sense that it doesn't quite admit to villainy (though it's pretty obvious).

But, essentially, the song is about celebrating how he murdered a woman and blamed his best friend (manipulating public opinion so as to call for death for such a heinous crime), thereby silencing his most valid public opponents, and thus ensuring that people agree to "buy in" to his Orwellian dystopia. And succeeding.

So...

But, DAGGUM, do I love that beat~! :V

*dances*


Depending on what's meant, The Hounds, by the Protomen.

I mean, it's a villain song in the vein of classic Disney (except, you know, more... Protomen), so... it's not exactly condoning his actions. And his actions are a liiiiiiiiiiittle vague, in the sense that it doesn't quite admit to villainy (though it's pretty obvious).

But, essentially, the song is about celebrating how he murdered a woman and blamed his best friend (manipulating public opinion so as to call for death for such a heinous crime), thereby silencing his most valid public opponents, and thus ensuring that people agree to "buy in" to his Orwellian dystopia. And succeeding.

So...


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Jenny/867-5309 - Tommy Tutone

It's straight-up a guy calling a graffiti'd number in a bathroom stall. But good lord, is it catchy.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Yes it is. I was in high school when this came out and was a student DJ at our high school radio station. People couldn't get enough of it.

"I Think I'm Turning Japanese" by The Vapors was another. It's catchy as all get out but is about a guy masturbating to the picture of a woman.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Oops, I Did It Again - Britney Spears

Let's just keep playing head games and stringing you along when I have no intention of doing anything other than breaking your heart! hums ♪oh, baby, baby...


REM - The One I Love.

So many people think this is a love song. It's not.

Granted, it was written at a time when REM started exploding in popularity, and it was actually an attempt at pissing off a huge portion of their newly found fan base. They didn't want that celebrity status. Completely backfired on them.

"This one goes out to the one I love
This one goes out to the one I've left behind
A simple prop to occupy my time
This one goes out to the one I love

Fire (she's comin' down on her own, now)
Fire (she's comin' down on her own, now)

This one goes out to the one I love
This one goes out to the one I've left behind
Another prop has occupied my time
This one goes out to the one I love"


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Van,

I never thought it was a love song so much as a song that might involve love. That and I still prefer "It's the End of the World as We Know it and I Feel Fine."

Scarab Sages

2 people marked this as a favorite.
DungeonmasterCal wrote:

Yes it is. I was in high school when this came out and was a student DJ at our high school radio station. People couldn't get enough of it.

"I Think I'm Turning Japanese" by The Vapors was another. It's catchy as all get out but is about a guy masturbating to the picture of a woman.

Incorrect (see Item #1 on this listicle).

True, you may notice that Wikipedia uncritically repeats this urban legend...

...but that's because Wikipedia's long-since jumped the shark and should be increasingly avoided whenever possible.


Woops, then!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Wikipedia suffers from lack of decent editing and fact checking and has indeed been slipping. But it's still the go to site for the things I search for (articles about bands,music, paleontology, archaeology, etc.).


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Half of Led Zeppelin's discography is about how women are terrible, but I still like them. They are also Plagiarists, but that is beside the point.

"Dazed and Confused" in particular has a rather prominent lyrics saying "Lots of People Talk– But Few of the Know– The Soul of a Woman is Created Below". Yeah, I don't buy into their BS, but damn if it is not a good song.

The Exchange

Riding with Private Malone is actually fine by me. I don't mind helpful ghosties in the car.

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
DungeonmasterCal wrote:
Wikipedia suffers from lack of decent editing and fact checking and has indeed been slipping. But it's still the go to site for the things I search for (articles about bands,music, paleontology, archaeology, etc.).

That and a scourge of various shills, ideologues, and bandwagons.

4 Simple Rules For Dating My 17-Year Old Wiki:

1: It's not an encyclopedia, it's an aggregator site; a page is (at best) only as good as its bibliography.

2: The integrity of an article is inversely-proportional to its perceived degree of relevance to current events and interest to mainstream discussion.

3: Never trust it for politically-sensitive things, especially not in American eyes.

4: Never trust it for any topic that is YOUNGER THAN THE WEBSITE ITSELF.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Thought of another one, thanks to one of my favorite YouTube personalities.

"Bad Romance" by Lady Gaga. Once you decipher what there is to find amidst the parts of the lyrics that aren't nonsense gibberish, it's far from a pleasant story, and honestly the title says it all. But damn if it isn't catchy.

Also, it spawned "Leather Pants", which is hilarious.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

There's Escape, by Rupert Holmes. (The Pina Coladas song)

It's about a man attempting to cheat on his wife by putting out a want ad, and his wife simultaneously attempting to cheat on him by responding to it.

But damn...

If you like Pina Coladas!

Liberty's Edge

"Leather Pants"? That sounds like the title of a "Weird" Al Yankovic song. Is it?
Oh. I found it.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Orthos wrote:

Thought of another one, thanks to one of my favorite YouTube personalities.

"Bad Romance" by Lady Gaga. Once you decipher what there is to find amidst the parts of the lyrics that aren't nonsense gibberish, it's far from a pleasant story, and honestly the title says it all. But damn if it isn't catchy.

Also, it spawned "Leather Pants", which is hilarious.

I greatly prefer the hard rock version of "Bad Romance" by Halestorm. Cuts out the nonsense words and just barrels right into your face.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Carolina Drama, by The Raconteurs.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
DungeonmasterCal wrote:
Orthos wrote:

Thought of another one, thanks to one of my favorite YouTube personalities.

"Bad Romance" by Lady Gaga. Once you decipher what there is to find amidst the parts of the lyrics that aren't nonsense gibberish, it's far from a pleasant story, and honestly the title says it all. But damn if it isn't catchy.

Also, it spawned "Leather Pants", which is hilarious.

I greatly prefer the hard rock version of "Bad Romance" by Halestorm. Cuts out the nonsense words and just barrels right into your face.

Definitely a good one. Another fun rendition is Caro Emerald's - nice jazzy version, so perhaps unfitting for the tone.

Shadow Lodge

Yeah both of those versions are petty great.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
I'm Hiding In Your Closet wrote:
True, you may notice that Wikipedia uncritically repeats this urban legend...

So, one of the topics on that wiki article's Talk page brings up the point that, "Bands are not an authority on meaning." The commenter implies that the band could be lying, but I'll also bring up the point that art is interpreted by its audience, and that's every bit as valid as the artist's interpretation (if the artist even offers an interpretation).

If many people feel that masturbation is a major theme of the song, then that becomes one of the things that the song is about.

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Andostre wrote:
I'm Hiding In Your Closet wrote:
True, you may notice that Wikipedia uncritically repeats this urban legend...

So, one of the topics on that wiki article's Talk page brings up the point that, "Bands are not an authority on meaning." The commenter implies that the band could be lying, but I'll also bring up the point that art is interpreted by its audience, and that's every bit as valid as the artist's interpretation (if the artist even offers an interpretation).

If many people feel that masturbation is a major theme of the song, then that becomes one of the things that the song is about.

I'm sorry, I find myself pretty deeply not okay with that. Artists know what their art is about. Nobody else gets to tell them what they meant.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Intent (what the artist meant) and effect (how it affects the audience) are both valid measures of what a piece of art is about. Someone saying "this is what this song means to me" doesn't overwrite the artist saying "this is what I was trying to convey with this song." They are concurrent.

It gets a little fuzzy when the audience says "this is what I think the artist meant," but if the audience applies that meaning to a piece of art--and especially if that becomes true at a cultural level, then that meaning is added to what the art is about.

1 to 50 of 94 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Entertainment / Music & Audio / What's a song you really like even though you hate the message? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.