Fun with a graveknight...


Advice


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Unfortunately, I think I'm out of luck here, but I'm hoping some of you brilliant folk will come to the rescue:

THE STORY SO FAR:
The party encountered a graveknight who tried to engage a party member in honorable combat. Unfortunately, with not a Lawful PC in the lot, they ganged up on him and annihilated him. Fortunately, they neither identified him nor his armor, and pop! Into the Bag of Holding it went. Unfortunately, I rolled a 7 on the 1d10 days for him to regenerate, and it's only been 3 days so far.

I've been dutifully having the wizard make her Perception check every time she looks in the bag, and she's dutifully failed every single check, so I have been gleeful at the idea of the wizard finding a fully-formed graveknight in her Bag of Holding.

Unfortunately, the jig is up. It's loot-selling time, and that armor's worth a bundle.

Any ideas as to what I can do with a 3-day-old baby graveknight, or is it just going to be, "Eeeew! What's this growing in the armor?" and one Disintegrate spell from the wizard to end all my fun?


Did they see the die roll? If not, fudge it, and have some fun.


The Game Hamster wrote:
Did they see the die roll? If not, fudge it, and have some fun.

There wasn't a die roll; they're just taking the armor out of the bag to show it to a vendor, and it's hard to hide a half-grown graveknight.

I figure they'll get a pumpkin scoop, clean out the armor, and then take it to a temple and find out what the strange "fungus" growing in the armor is...


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Just make it small, give it entangling strands from a Stringy Demodand and Ferocity (the monster ability) and call it Baby Graveknight.

Worked for Groot. :-)


3 people marked this as a favorite.

If the vendor sees it and can recognize it for what it is with a Kn. Religion she might be interested in buying it as is if perhaps she's a follower of Urgathoa? That could also put the graveknight in touch with some additional help, and both the graveknight and the merchant could become recurring villains.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Friendly Neighborhood Glabrezu wrote:
If the vendor sees it and can recognize it for what it is with a Kn. Religion she might be interested in buying it as is if perhaps she's a follower of Urgathoa? That could also put the graveknight in touch with some additional help, and both the graveknight and the merchant could become recurring villains.

OK, now THAT is the kind of brilliance I expect from these boards! I love it!

Keep 'em coming! We have a month before our next session, so I have time to flesh things like this out...


A couple of things. You could make a much weaker graveknight come out in the shop. This would get them in a lot of trouble with the law and there might be some property damage with the fight.

If you go this route then they graveknight would utilze whatever they have in the bag of holding.

Another option is that the simple armor is sold and later re-solidified. And it will come after them again much better prepared. Thus they have no knowledge that the armor they took is a graveknight. Just that they are attacked by someone who seems familiar.


Perhaps the Church of Pharasma could be involved? Either the merchant themself could be a member of the Church and recognizes it or, before it reforms, a member of the Church recognizes it and takes it to a local church to be destroyed , only for it to reform and attack the church and its inhabitants.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Delay the party's arrival into town with "unforseen" problems. I.e. Severe storms, washed-out roads and flooding. Ambushes from the Graveknight's allies / followers, et cetera.


NobodysHome wrote:
The Game Hamster wrote:
Did they see the die roll? If not, fudge it, and have some fun.

There wasn't a die roll; they're just taking the armor out of the bag to show it to a vendor, and it's hard to hide a half-grown graveknight.

I figure they'll get a pumpkin scoop, clean out the armor, and then take it to a temple and find out what the strange "fungus" growing in the armor is...

I meant the regeneration roll.

But I like the recurring villains.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'm guessing I wasn't supposed to see this thread, but since you didn't actually TELL me not to look, here I am. And I'm curious to know which armor on the loot list are we talking about? Because I think it would be absolutely hilarious for Nora to dither back and forth about whether or not she wants it and keep asking, "Can you hold on to it just for another day or so? I need to think some more."
How long are we going to be in Magnimar anyway? Because I could also conceivably arrange for a custom weapon to be built for me while I'm there that would necessitate the party sticking around while I waffle about the armor.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Clearly Shiro's player has been a bad influence on me.


Friendly Neighborhood Glabrezu wrote:
If the vendor sees it and can recognize it for what it is with a Kn. Religion she might be interested in buying it as is if perhaps she's a follower of Urgathoa? That could also put the graveknight in touch with some additional help, and both the graveknight and the merchant could become recurring villains.

I love this one. But what about the vendor not being a follower of Urgarhoa but just a greedy person?

He might make a clandestine bid for the armor, bringing people who he knows that could be interested on buying it for some reason.

The PCs might hear rumors about something secret and grim going on, and even have an opportunity to find a way to be there at the moment of the bid.

Imagine their faces when they see a lot of creepy people bidding for the armor they sold and it reaching really high prices. It should make them think: what the hell have we sold?


2 people marked this as a favorite.

The vendor can be a relative of the graveknight who recognizes the armor and doesn't want it destroyed. He could believe the graveknight can be redeemed. Of course, this can be truth... or no. The vendor can later become the undead squire of the graveknight.

Or, for a twist, the graveknight could be truly redeemed. This can be the seed of a quest to discover the graveknight's past and look for a way to bestow upon him eternal rest... or bringing him back among the living. He could become a very interesting NPC while he looks for a way to attone for his past crimes.


for a fun twist make it come back with the half dragon template and be a antipaladin/bloodrager gestalt and the armor has actually been mythril this whole time


lisamarlene wrote:

I'm guessing I wasn't supposed to see this thread, but since you didn't actually TELL me not to look, here I am. And I'm curious to know which armor on the loot list are we talking about? Because I think it would be absolutely hilarious for Nora to dither back and forth about whether or not she wants it and keep asking, "Can you hold on to it just for another day or so? I need to think some more."

How long are we going to be in Magnimar anyway? Because I could also conceivably arrange for a custom weapon to be built for me while I'm there that would necessitate the party sticking around while I waffle about the armor.

Well, if things proceed in stereotypical fashion, I'll send out a bunch of e-mail saying, "Here's the loot list! Let's get this taken care of before next session! Who's taking what, what are you planning on selling, and how do you plan on going about selling it?"

Then everyone will ignore me for a month and we'll spend an entire session roleplaying through distributing loot and selling items.

But that'll at least let me do the whole armor thing.

So far, I love the idea of the Urgathoan merchant because it ties in very nicely with other story lines in the campaign...


NobodysHome wrote:
lisamarlene wrote:

I'm guessing I wasn't supposed to see this thread, but since you didn't actually TELL me not to look, here I am. And I'm curious to know which armor on the loot list are we talking about? Because I think it would be absolutely hilarious for Nora to dither back and forth about whether or not she wants it and keep asking, "Can you hold on to it just for another day or so? I need to think some more."

How long are we going to be in Magnimar anyway? Because I could also conceivably arrange for a custom weapon to be built for me while I'm there that would necessitate the party sticking around while I waffle about the armor.

Well, if things proceed in stereotypical fashion, I'll send out a bunch of e-mail saying, "Here's the loot list! Let's get this taken care of before next session! Who's taking what, what are you planning on selling, and how do you plan on going about selling it?"

Then everyone will ignore me for a month and we'll spend an entire session roleplaying through distributing loot and selling items.

But that'll at least let me do the whole armor thing.

So far, I love the idea of the Urgathoan merchant because it ties in very nicely with other story lines in the campaign...

Okay, fine, I finally replied to the group on the loot list email, and so now I'm really f+$!ing embarrassed, and you still didn't tell me whether the grave knight armor is the spiky full plate or the celestial.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

You should attempt to wear both and see which one turns you into the Lich King xD


NobodysHome wrote:


Well, if things proceed in stereotypical fashion, I'll send out a bunch of e-mail saying, "Here's the loot list! Let's get this taken care of before next session! Who's taking what, what are you planning on selling, and how do you plan on going about selling it?"

Then everyone will ignore me for a month and we'll spend an entire session roleplaying through distributing loot and selling items.

So it's not just my group that does that!


Update: Impus Major found a description in Undead Revisited that clearly indicates that, until the graveknight is fully reformed, it cannot be detected by inspecting the armor.

lisamarlene stay out! :-P:
On p.18 is a description of what happens when someone unknowingly wears the armor. "[The graveknights]' bodies literally grow back, with tendrils of undead flesh coiling out from recesses in their armor like gruesome creepers... People who claim a graveknight's armor rarely recognize the threat until too late... Once the rejuvenation period ends... the wearer must make a Will save each day to avoid transforming into the original graveknight."

That's pretty cut-and-dry: Someone else can take the armor, and wear it, and be totally unaware that they're being infested by graveknight. If the graveknight were visibly growing back in the armor, this would be an issue.

So by the effect described, I have to conclude that they're carrying around a ticking time bomb they can't discover without actually re-examining the armor. And what kind of adventuring party does that?


2 people marked this as a favorite.

And the story continues:
They sold the armor in Magnimar, a 15th-level fighter who worshipped Gorum promptly picked it up and rather unsurprisingly failed his first Will save.

So we have a very well-equipped graveknight heading back after the party.

All kinds of fun!

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Advice / Fun with a graveknight... All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.