Odd Gestalt game idea need advice.


Advice


I am planning to run a game for a few friends and have decided to make gestalt characters for them to play, however here is where it gets tricky.

1. The entire campaign is going to be set in one city from level 1 to 20, they will travel every once in a while to handle things but the mega city will always be the main hub.

2. There will only be 3 people in the game, that way I will give more 1 on 1 time to each player and the challenge can be balanced easier.

3. The races do not have to be the same but I am leaning toward 3 different breeds of Aasimar, but no rolling on the alternate trait table

4. Here is the big one, for each gestalt character one of the classes has to be Vigilante 1 to 20, but you can do whatever archtype in vigilante you want to make it fit easier.

4. Stats are: 18, 16, 14, 14, 12, 10.

So, what combo of vigilante archtype and class makes a 3 person group work the best?


Cool idea - if I had any experience at all with the Vigilante, I'd probably have some cool insight. With that warning, I'd say any class that rewards a high Cha score (Paladin, Cleric, Oracle, Bard, Swashbuckler, Sorcerer, Arcanist, etc). I'm a big fan of the Medium class from Occult Adventures. You could make one of the characters a daily swiss-army knife by channeling different spirits, while using the Vigilante class to focus on combat.

Why can't they build their own characters?


Fighter pairs well with any Vigilante specialization and archetype, just keep in mind that you're going to be restricted to light armor if you go with Cabalist, Magical Child, or Warlock.

If you're looking to make a skill-focused vigilante, Rogue/U. Rogue is one of the best ways to do it, especially the Phantom Thief archetype. Investigator is also a good choice.

One thing I'd recommend deciding right now is how you intend for sneak attack and hidden strike to work with each other. Are they going to stack? Does the player have to pick which one they use?

Really, Vigilante is one of the most versatile classes ever introduced since there's very little that they can't do in some way.


That sounds like a fun game. *pulls out pocketwatch* You want to run a PBP version as well.

Wildsoul/hunter
Agathiel/hunter
Zealout/paladin
Base vigilante/gunslinger
Base vigilante/kineticist
Base vigilante/swashbuckler
Brute/barbarian
Any vigilante/monk


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Cuup wrote:

Cool idea - if I had any experience at all with the Vigilante, I'd probably have some cool insight. With that warning, I'd say any class that rewards a high Cha score (Paladin, Cleric, Oracle, Bard, Swashbuckler, Sorcerer, Arcanist, etc). I'm a big fan of the Medium class from Occult Adventures. You could make one of the characters a daily swiss-army knife by channeling different spirits, while using the Vigilante class to focus on combat.

Why can't they build their own characters?

The reason they can't make their own characters is that they are lazy stoners and would never do it.


Whisperknives wrote:
The reason they can't make their own characters is that they are lazy stoners and would never do it.

Which is why you also need to run it on PBP for a bunch of motivated players who will appreciate all of the work you put into building the game and want to put their efforts into making wonderful characters for this!


Philo Pharynx wrote:
Whisperknives wrote:
The reason they can't make their own characters is that they are lazy stoners and would never do it.
Which is why you also need to run it on PBP for a bunch of motivated players who will appreciate all of the work you put into building the game and want to put their efforts into making wonderful characters for this!

Seconded


Philo Pharynx wrote:
Whisperknives wrote:
The reason they can't make their own characters is that they are lazy stoners and would never do it.
Which is why you also need to run it on PBP for a bunch of motivated players who will appreciate all of the work you put into building the game and want to put their efforts into making wonderful characters for this!

yes agreed.

on the main topic of this thread... Vigilantes are band from most games even faster than the summoners specced to murder hobo. if they won't build their own characters ask who their favorite super hero is (slayers and ninja are batman for example) i take it you're running a "super hero" campaign?


Philo's combinations are spot on but there really are a lot of good combinations with the vigilante, you can make almost anything work. Also, his suggestion to run this as a play by post is something to consider as most players will make some memorable characters with this idea.

ninja'd

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Advice / Odd Gestalt game idea need advice. All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Advice
Spells for an Archaeologist Bard