Non-Optimal choices for a high level Inquisitor?


Advice


My Half-Orc Sacred Huntmaster Inquisitor just hit level 11, and they are over powered. They wield a keen menacing Falchion, make excellent use of teamwork feats with the tiger they ride, and has the rage domain to boot. Their damage is higher even than the Zen Monks, and they have crazy skills and a solid spell list to boot. As such, I'd like to find some ways to make the character more fun or flexible rather than outright more powerful. This is mostly focusing on their feat choice, but more on that below.

I don't really want to delay Inquisitor features, so no multiclassing. The closest thing my character has to weaknesses are an over-reliance on his mount, and rationing his resources. In particular, there's always more opportunities to cast spells like Heroism or Magic Vestment than there are spell slots. But I don't know of a way to cover those bases with a feat. (I also have managed to keep the pet on hand through some pretty resistant terrain, so the first weakness hasn't been an issue yet.)

I don't want to simply waste my feat on something useless like Skill Focus. Extra Bane or Extra Rage would give me little more breathing room in the resource rationing, but only marginally and will still leave me hoarding rounds per day. What I'd really like is something that let's me do something fun. Maybe scent? Something in a reroll vein? But I'm not a big fan of once per day abilities. I want something I can play with, not another resource to hoard.

I already know a couple optimal choices. Heavy armor proficiency would boost my AC, though I'm reluctant to take the ACP to ride checks and spend the extra money on Mithral Fullplate over a Breastplate. The Precise Strike teamwork feat would add 1d6 to pretty much every hit made by myself and my pouncing tiger, but I really don't need more damage.

I'm not sure what I should purchase with any new gold coming in. Big 6 stuff is always good, and getting equivalent things crafted for my tiger is also on the table in this campaign. But that is a less pressing concern for the moment, until we finish this current mission.

I'm also toying around with the idea of asking my DM if I can drop the Rage domain for an Inquisition or something. It feels pretty overkill for damage, and just adds more resources to nova with. I've always liked Conversion, and it would add +6 to my face skills. We already have a diplomancer though and my Intimidate rests at a cool +23. But if I dropped the Rage I'd be more comfortable snagging Precise Strike or another damage booster to offset it.

I dunno. I'm tired and just puking thoughts on the page right now. Sorry for this not being well organized right now.


Antagonise,

It will encourage enemies to attack you which by default means you're helping the rest of the party. If you aren't standing next to the target that can help reduce their opportunities to full attack and it also allows you to RP some cool insults.


Maybe try to incorporate some of the Dazzling Display line into your build? Inquisitors, especially half-orcs, have some sky-high Intimidate checks. Doing something like spending a round to render shaken (and possibly flat-footed) nearby bad guys will give you something to do that isn't resource-dependent, isn't outshining the members of your team with damage, and contributes by lowering enemy abilities.


The Sword wrote:

Antagonise,

It will encourage enemies to attack you which by default means you're helping the rest of the party. If you aren't standing next to the target that can help reduce their opportunities to full attack and it also allows you to RP some cool insults.

I like where your heads at, but I can name 5 reasons why that feat wouldn't work well in this campaign off the top of my head.

1)Too many mindless enemies.
2) Too many hoards of enemies, and Antagonize single targets.
3) I actually have lower AC than my tiger or the Zen Archer.
4) d8 hit dice don't like sucking hits.
5) Action economy. A standard action can be used to buff myself and the pet in one go, or swing my sword for massive damage.

But things like Antagonize which present entirely new options represent what I'd ideally like to pick up.

DethBySquirl: Dazzling Display suffers from a few of the same problems Antagonize does. Also, I have Blistering Invectice which just seems better, while admittedly burning a spell slot. And my guy is still specked for direct damage. I don't actually want to stop doing damage by doing other things or completely rebuild. My guy and the tiger are the closest thing the party has to tanks.

Maybe I should be looking at non-combat options?


Also, to further clarify, I only have 1 feat to work with, without dealing with the hassle of retraining. I don't have much need for Weapon Focus, which means Dazzling Display would be problematic to qualify for.


Was also thinking about switching to a sword and board because we found a really excellent long sword and shield. I could use the extra AC, but it would mean losing the sweet crit range and Outflank/Seize the Moment shenanigans with Mama Kitty Love.

Not sure what to do for feats if I go that route. Don't think I have the dex for TWF.


You most likely already have Power Attack, so taking Hurtful is an option. Intimidate with a standard then smack them with a swift.

You could also grab Shared Judgment, so you pass off your second Judgment effect to an adjacent ally. Doesn't help the resource limit problem, but does help buff your teammates.

There's also some flavorful stuff like Exploit Lore or Improved Monster lore.


DethBySquirl wrote:

You most likely already have Power Attack, so taking Hurtful is an option. Intimidate with a standard then smack them with a swift.

You could also grab Shared Judgment, so you pass off your second Judgment effect to an adjacent ally. Doesn't help the resource limit problem, but does help buff your teammates.

There's also some flavorful stuff like Exploit Lore or Improved Monster lore.

As a Sacred Huntmaster, I don't have Judgement, I have Animal Focus. :(

I've considered Hurtful, but since it takes me a Swift Action to activate both Bane and Animal Focus and combat is short I'm a little shaky on it. It strikes me as something that won't happen until round 3 of combat, and when I do use it will make my damage spike even higher in comparison to the other party members. At that point, I may as well go for the additional 5-10 d6s of damage a round from Precise Strike.

I already snagged Improved Monster Lore, and won't qualify for Exploit Lore until my BAB gets higher. (It's also a once a day ability, which isn't my favorite.)

RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

You have the BAB for Improved Critical, so if you took that for longsword, you'll threaten on 17-20, and your falchion only threatens on 18-20 (unless it's keen).

Divine Interference is a fun feat, but it uses up valuable spell slots.


We got a big gear infusion after this last session, and selling the junk off has given me a big cash infusion. I'm torn between picking up Celestial Plate Armor so I don't need to bother with heavy armor proficiency feat, or getting normal Mithril fullplate and continuing to use Magic Vestment on it. Flight would be really clutch, but Hosteling would be nice to get on regular plate so I never have to leave my tiger behind. (My DM has yet to prevent me from bringing her along, but a huge chunk of my damage comes from the tiger and teamwork feats.)

Edit: Though if I went with Celestial Plate, I'd need to sell my old +1 Keen Menaching Falchion to pay for it. The plan would be to use a Menacing Heavy Shield and the +2 Furyborn Longsword I found until I can afford a better one handed weapon.

Dark Archive

For feats Planar Focus gives you several new ways to use your animal focus ability with cool things like a burrow speed or being able to levitate. Punch Through lets you exchange your iterative to reduce any DR your companion might be facing which can really hurt with several attacks all getting reduced. Lookout can be another fun one if you have a very perceptive companion, especially with scent picking up on stealthed enemies. It could be especially silly if you took the Bodyguard animal companion archetype.


Velisruna wrote:
For feats Planar Focus gives you several new ways to use your animal focus ability with cool things like a burrow speed or being able to levitate. Punch Through lets you exchange your iterative to reduce any DR your companion might be facing which can really hurt with several attacks all getting reduced. Lookout can be another fun one if you have a very perceptive companion, especially with scent picking up on stealthed enemies. It could be especially silly if you took the Bodyguard animal companion archetype.

Planar Focus is perfect! Flight and Burrow speed? I will absolutely take that. Maybe retrain to get Extended Animal Focus to, since minutes per day is better than rounds per day. Having a mount that can move vertically at will would be amazing.

Looks like if I want to upgrade to fullplate I will need to go Celestial.


You're a Half Orc with Rage Subdomain and a pet who shares teamwork feats. Make sure to grab the Amplified Rage feat and take Ferocious Mount at 12.

Don't try to intentionally hamper yourself. Rather, focus more on improving your defences. Indomitable Mount might save your Mount's life. Escape Route is a must. Focusing more on skills with Improved Monster Lore is also a great idea. After 12, consider also getting Extra Rage Power for some flexibility.

If you still think you're doing too much damage, consider a level or 2 in Monk for WIS to AC, Evasion, and perhaps a backup offense should your mount fall.


Invest in Dazzling Display, then Hurtful.

You can then whack someone nearby when you successfully Demoralize everything in 30' radius.

Or, just take Hurtful. It pairs with Blistering Invective since that spell calls out making a Demoralize check, and Hurtful triggers on a successful Demoralize check.


Kaouse wrote:

You're a Half Orc with Rage Subdomain and a pet who shares teamwork feats. Make sure to grab the Amplified Rage feat and take Ferocious Mount at 12.

Don't try to intentionally hamper yourself. Rather, focus more on improving your defences. Indomitable Mount might save your Mount's life. Escape Route is a must. Focusing more on skills with Improved Monster Lore is also a great idea. After 12, consider also getting Extra Rage Power for some flexibility.

If you still think you're doing too much damage, consider a level or 2 in Monk for WIS to AC, Evasion, and perhaps a backup offense should your mount fall.

Oh, nice, I wanted amplified rage, but didn't know about a Ferocious Mount rage power to make it work. The only problem I see with that is it means halving my rage rounds, which are already really low.

I feel like a level in monk would be cute, but flurry and the AC bonus really clash with his current equipment. I'd need to ditch the shield, armor, falchion, and longsword.

Idomitable Mount is a solid feat, but that's two feats (as Mounted Combat is a prerequisite) and a big investment in the ride skill. My skill points are stretched pretty thin at the moment.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Advice / Non-Optimal choices for a high level Inquisitor? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.