"Elemental" Affinity and bloodragers


Rules Questions


Hey folks,

I'm making a Sylph Bloodrager with the elemental bloodline (air). I'm curious if there has been any word if the Air Affinity applies to the Bloodrager bloodline. Given that one of the parent classes is Sorcerer I'd say yes, but I could be very wrong. Also, the race guide and Sylph came out prior to the ACG so it's possible they didn't consider the various elemental affinity abilities. Thoughts?


RAW it does not.

Ask your GM for a home game; I'd be shocked to see one that says no.


kestral287 wrote:

RAW it does not.

Ask your GM for a home game; I'd be shocked to see one that says no.

I second this. The full entry from the Sylph's Air Affinity trait:

Air Affinity wrote:
Sylph sorcerers with the elemental (air) bloodline treat their Charisma score as 2 points higher for all sorcerer spells and class abilities. Sylph spellcasters with the Air domain use their domain powers and spells at +1 caster level.

The Sylph's abilities specify that only Sorcerers that have the Elemental (Air) bloodline treat their Charisma modifier as 1 higher; this makes sense, because this ability would not apply if I were to, for example, take the Eldritch Heritage feat chain for the Elemental (Air) Bloodline and acquire those abilities.

That being said, it's not unreasonable to treat it affecting any character that has the bloodline, and this is especially true given that Bloodragers did not exist when the ARG was created. Normally an errata would be needed, but since this doesn't include ACG material (because it wasn't a thing when this was released), it only makes sense that it's not listed, because it would include a Core book further down the chronological release date, which wasn't feasible at the time the ARG was created.

Slight Tangent:
In addition, I'm curious as to why you would make a Sylph Sorcerer and not take the Sage bloodline (which allows you to have Intelligence for your mainstat instead of Charisma for all of your Sorcerer-related class features). You could take the Crossblooded archetype and take both Elemental (Air) and the Sage Bloodlines, getting the benefit of both your Air Affinity and your racial Intelligence boost affecting your spells and your other class abilities.


Darksol the Painbringer wrote:
In addition, I'm curious as to why you would make a Sylph Sorcerer and not take the Sage bloodline (which allows you to have Intelligence for your mainstat instead of Charisma for all of your Sorcerer-related class features). You could take the Crossblooded archetype and take both Elemental (Air) and the Sage Bloodlines, getting the benefit of both your Air Affinity and your racial Intelligence boost affecting your spells and your other class abilities.

Because sadly wildblooded (needed for Sage) and crossblooded do not stack as archetypes.

Had variant bloodlines been worded like the subdomains are it would have been better but that's not what happened


Entryhazard wrote:
Darksol the Painbringer wrote:
In addition, I'm curious as to why you would make a Sylph Sorcerer and not take the Sage bloodline (which allows you to have Intelligence for your mainstat instead of Charisma for all of your Sorcerer-related class features). You could take the Crossblooded archetype and take both Elemental (Air) and the Sage Bloodlines, getting the benefit of both your Air Affinity and your racial Intelligence boost affecting your spells and your other class abilities.

Because sadly wildblooded (needed for Sage) and crossblooded do not stack as archetypes.

Had variant bloodlines been worded like the subdomains are it would have been better but that's not what happened

Doh. That's a silly predicament. I guess this is one of the nice things spellcasters can't have (which is a switch for a change).


The Cross/Wildblooded issue is another 'ask your GM' thing.

If memory serves, even the FAQ that says they don't stack says that this is stupid.

Shadow Lodge

That FAQ doesn't quite say it's stupid, but it suggests it as a houserule, which is something.

FAQ wrote:

Sorcerer, Crossblooded and Wildblooded: Can I take both of these archetypes for the same character?

No, because the archetype rules say none of the alternate class features can replace or alter the same class feature from the class as another alternate class feature. Because the crossblooded and wildblooded sorcerer archetypes both alter the bloodline arcana and bloodline powers, they aren't compatible archetypes.

Note that it is certainly within the GM's purview to allow this combination. However, the character should not be able to use the crossblooded archetype's ability to select a lower-level bloodline power that was replaced by the wildblooded archetype. For example, a wildblooded brutal (abyssal) sorcerer replaces "strength of the abyss" with "wings of the abyss" at 9th level; the character has "paid" for the wildblooded archetype by giving up "strength of the abyss," and can't use the crossblooded bloodline to select "strength of the abyss" as her 15th-level or 20th-level bloodline power.


When the rules suggest that you shouldn't follow the rules, to me that's a diplomatic way of saying "this is how the rules work, and in this particular instance that's stupid".

Grand Lodge

Except it doesn't you shouldn't follow the rules. It says that if you decide to change the rule there are things you should consider.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Rules Questions / "Elemental" Affinity and bloodragers All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.