stoned efreetis


Advice


So our party just managed to flesh to stone to efreetis. Thanks to treasure stitching, we don't expect to much trouble getting them home. So the big question is what to do with them.

Obviously the first thought is to take trap them and try to force them into granting wishes. The problem I see is how to keep them trapped while still allowing them to cast the wish. I can stop the plane shift, its the gaseous form I am stuck on.

Since planar binding would give me more power over what I bring, I am thinking I would be better off just using stone shape to scramble their brains, and leave them as statues on each side of my front door.

Any counter thoughts? Is the captured wishes just to fun to pass up?


Magic circle will trap the effeetis regardless of if they take gaseous form or not.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

If they are stoned just offer them potato chips.


storyengine wrote:
If they are stoned just offer them potato chips.

Hold a FunOnion just out of reach. They'll do whatever you want.


A magic circle should prevent them from escaping, gaseous or not.

Edit: Ninja'd by an hour. Sheesh.


IF you are allowed to extract wishes, you would be better off using simulacrated efreti. As stone statues they make excellent garden ornaments tho.

Should you go ahdead and extract wishes from trapped efreti, you pretty much deserve to have this: http://www.trollandtoad.com/p170440.html thrown at you.

Have fun surviving the city of brass as a slave :D

Edit: fixed link


ikki3520 wrote:

IF you are allowed to extract wishes, you would be better off using simulacrated efreti. As stone statues they make excellent garden ornaments tho.

Should you go ahdead and extract wishes from trapped efreti, you pretty much deserve to have this: http://www.trollandtoad.com/p170440.html thrown at you.

Have fun surviving the city of brass as a slave :D

Edit: fixed link

I think that's the major deterrent to the whole Efreti wish slave thing.


Tiny Coffee Golem wrote:
storyengine wrote:
If they are stoned just offer them potato chips.
Hold a FunOnion just out of reach. They'll do whatever you want.

....they are 12 feet tall and they have a flight speed of 40 feet. They also have all the fire magic they could need to break down any building you hide yourself in, plus they can turn invisible 3/day and make themselves into halflings at will.

You do not get to keep things from Efreeti.


lemeres wrote:
Tiny Coffee Golem wrote:
storyengine wrote:
If they are stoned just offer them potato chips.
Hold a FunOnion just out of reach. They'll do whatever you want.

....they are 12 feet tall and they have a flight speed of 40 feet. They also have all the fire magic they could need to break down any building you hide yourself in, plus they can turn invisible 3/day and make themselves into halflings at will.

You do not get to keep things from Efreeti.

You do if they're dimensional locked inside a magic circle.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

If you're really smart, you'll bury them somewhere so far and remote that no one will ever find them, and just quietly go away.


City of Brass anti-wish slave hit squad could be a fun game to play. Planar hopping and very anti-caster builds.

Edit: Because not only do you have to do the job of murdering casters. You have to murder them in such a spectacularly painful way as to deter other would-be wish-slavers.

The Exchange

Yeah, if there's one race of monster that sums up the old saying about 'tiger by the tail', it's an efreet. Wishes are tricky enough when there isn't a malicious will attempting to pervert the intent of the thing.

Burying the statue is not a bad idea, as long as you remember to do it somewhere remote. See, they all have kinfolk and masters back on the Plane of Fire, and sooner or later a search party will be sent out. You don't want that sort of thing popping up in your back yard.


Lincoln Hills wrote:

Yeah, if there's one race of monster that sums up the old saying about 'tiger by the tail', it's an efreet. Wishes are tricky enough when there isn't a malicious will attempting to pervert the intent of the thing.

Burying the statue is not a bad idea, as long as you remember to do it somewhere remote. See, they all have kinfolk and masters back on the Plane of Fire, and sooner or later a search party will be sent out. You don't want that sort of thing popping up in your back yard.

"WHY HAVE YOU TAKEN OUR PEOPLE PRISONER!?!?!"

"Are you talking about my lawn gnomes?" /confused


The destructive power of the efreeti is the least of the issues. They have been defeated and can be defeated again. It is the trap it followed by the outwit/legal contract that gets sticky and makes it fun.

I don't think magic circle will work:

When focused inward, the spell binds a non-good called creature (such as those called by the lesser planar binding, planar binding, and greater planar binding spells) for a maximum of 24 hours per caster level, provided that you cast the spell that calls the creature within 1 round of casting the magic circle.

Note that I will not be summoning these creatures in anyway, just turning them back from stone.

I expect the prudent thing to do is scramble the brains or other internal organs and keep them around as oversized garden gnomes, but there is something both in character and out that makes me want to extract wishes from defeated enemies. The jerks attacked us in our sleep!


Melvin the Mediocre wrote:

The destructive power of the efreeti is the least of the issues. They have been defeated and can be defeated again. It is the trap it followed by the outwit/legal contract that gets sticky and makes it fun.

I don't think magic circle will work:

When focused inward, the spell binds a non-good called creature (such as those called by the lesser planar binding, planar binding, and greater planar binding spells) for a maximum of 24 hours per caster level, provided that you cast the spell that calls the creature within 1 round of casting the magic circle.

Note that I will not be summoning these creatures in anyway, just turning them back from stone.

I expect the prudent thing to do is scramble the brains or other internal organs and keep them around as oversized garden gnomes, but there is something both in character and out that makes me want to extract wishes from defeated enemies. The jerks attacked us in our sleep!

I'm pretty sure it'll keep an outsider bound regardless of how they got there. Typically it's just hard to get them to stay still long enough to draw the circle.


Magic Circle will only trap called creatures. If the the Efreeti were called to this plane by a Conjuration(Calling) spell (ex. Planar Binding) then a Magic Circle will trap them. If they arrived via some other means (ex. Plane Shift), then a Magic Circle won't do much.


Quantum Steve wrote:
Magic Circle will only trap called creatures. If the the Efreeti were called to this plane by a Conjuration(Calling) spell (ex. Planar Binding) then a Magic Circle will trap them. If they arrived via some other means (ex. Plane Shift), then a Magic Circle won't do much.

Hmm.... where are you getting that? I'm looking at " provided that you cast the spell that calls the creature within 1 round of casting the magic circle" and reading that to very explicitly state round 1 you finish your circle, round 2 you summon your prisoner. Any other method will not work.

At any rate, these dudes strolled through a gate we were innocently in the processes of destroying and tried to kill us out of sheer ornery cruelty. So we I think we agree in this instance, magic circle won't work. So a few walls of force might hem them in, but I don't think I can keep it around long enough. There has to be a way to do it though. I suppose I could create a wall of stone cube, teleport in, and drop down some Hallow and planar binding spells. Air will be a problem, but that might encourage him to sign the contract a little sooner.
Of course then the question comes up how do I ensure he follows the contract, but that is probably more campaign specific. Why and how do these guys grant wishes to mortals anyway?

The Exchange

Why? Because it amuses them to see stupid mortals make foolish wishes, and smart mortals think that they've found a wish that won't come back and bite them.

How? Using a spell-like ability, of course!


Lincoln Hills wrote:

Why? Because it amuses them to see stupid mortals make foolish wishes, and smart mortals think that they've found a wish that won't come back and bite them.

How? Using a spell-like ability, of course!

"1/day—grant up to 3 wishes (to non-genies only)"

But why can it only be granted to non-genies? That can be taken at face value or it can be explored in depth, possible uncovering very interesting back story and could have a great deal of in game effect on the outcome of wishes.

I know there is a camp of gamers who always want to punish PCs for trying to get wishes, but most of us figure they are in the game for a reason. And that reason is probably not so that the DM can punish the players who try to get them.


Melvin the Mediocre wrote:
Quantum Steve wrote:
Magic Circle will only trap called creatures. If the the Efreeti were called to this plane by a Conjuration(Calling) spell (ex. Planar Binding) then a Magic Circle will trap them. If they arrived via some other means (ex. Plane Shift), then a Magic Circle won't do much.

Hmm.... where are you getting that? I'm looking at " provided that you cast the spell that calls the creature within 1 round of casting the magic circle" and reading that to very explicitly state round 1 you finish your circle, round 2 you summon your prisoner. Any other method will not work.

Re-reading the spell, you're right. Not only will Magic Circle only trap called creatures, it will only trap creatures called within 1 round of casting Magic Circle


ikki3520 wrote:

IF you are allowed to extract wishes, you would be better off using simulacrated efreti. As stone statues they make excellent garden ornaments tho.

Should you go ahdead and extract wishes from trapped efreti, you pretty much deserve to have this: http://www.trollandtoad.com/p170440.html thrown at you.

Have fun surviving the city of brass as a slave :D

Edit: fixed link

I don't understand what you are getting at. If I have an efreeti cast wishes, we should change campaign settings? It looks really fun, so thanks for bringing it to my attention, but at $100 I don't think we will go that way.


Tiny Coffee Golem wrote:
lemeres wrote:
Tiny Coffee Golem wrote:
storyengine wrote:
If they are stoned just offer them potato chips.
Hold a FunOnion just out of reach. They'll do whatever you want.

....they are 12 feet tall and they have a flight speed of 40 feet. They also have all the fire magic they could need to break down any building you hide yourself in, plus they can turn invisible 3/day and make themselves into halflings at will.

You do not get to keep things from Efreeti.

You do if they're dimensional locked inside a magic circle.

Well, there's a question.... How far up (or down) can a creature bound within a magic circle go? Does the spell encompass an infinitely-long cylinder with the circle as a cross-section? If the captive burrows, can it pass through the center of the (spherical) planet and out the other side? If the captive flies straight up, can it enter an impossibly high orbit with the circle keeping them geostationary? At a sufficiently high altitude, its angular speed would surpass the speed of light....

The Exchange

Melvin the Mediocre wrote:

...I know there is a camp of gamers who always want to punish PCs for trying to get wishes, but most of us figure they are in the game for a reason. And that reason is probably not so that the DM can punish the players who try to get them.

In this case it's not (generally) the GM who wants to "punish" the player, but the efreet (a thousand-year-old evil entity that regards mortals as scum, and mortals with summoning spells as presumptuous scum) who wants to punish the character.

Of course, if you're making wishes that exactly fulfill the efreet's intent, it may choose not to mess with you. Much. But after those wishes are granted, you might... know too much. (See the Legacy of Fire AP for much, much more in this vein.)


Melvin the Mediocre wrote:
ikki3520 wrote:

IF you are allowed to extract wishes, you would be better off using simulacrated efreti. As stone statues they make excellent garden ornaments tho.

Should you go ahdead and extract wishes from trapped efreti, you pretty much deserve to have this: http://www.trollandtoad.com/p170440.html thrown at you.

Have fun surviving the city of brass as a slave :D

Edit: fixed link

I don't understand what you are getting at. If I have an efreeti cast wishes, we should change campaign settings? It looks really fun, so thanks for bringing it to my attention, but at $100 I don't think we will go that way.

Not a campaign setting but a high level "mini"-campaign & area & efreti fluff. It can no doubt be found for cheaper too.

Anyways, the mini-campaign (iirc 11 adventures) starts with a wish extracted from a efreti.. and after that you are in deep trouble :p

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

I seriously thought this thread was about Pesh use.


So back to the original question...
Does anybody have an idea of how to contain these dudes if I do want to get wishes?

And back on the tangent discussion...

Lincoln Hills wrote:
but the efreet (a thousand-year-old evil entity that regards mortals as scum,... (See the Legacy of Fire AP for much, much more in this vein.)

Whats the gist of it? Does it explain why efreeti's can/do give non genies wishes? I've assumed it has to do with some sort of ancient pact, punishment, curse, or blessing.


Melvin the Mediocre wrote:

So back to the original question...

Does anybody have an idea of how to contain these dudes if I do want to get wishes?

A combination of dimensional anchor and forcecage should do it. But those are both relatively short duration spells, so you may want to act quickly.

Alternatively, since you have time, you should be able to construct a custom magic item with constant effects and put the item around the statue before releasing the efreet.


Melvin the Mediocre wrote:


Whats the gist of it? Does it explain why efreeti's can/do give non genies wishes? I've assumed it has to do with some sort of ancient pact, punishment, curse, or blessing.

According to actual legends, it's basically for the lolz. Or for the evulz, if you prefer. Both, really.

Humans are very good at making stupid wishes that will end up getting them into trouble. If you'v ever had a friend who would offer you too much to drink because he liked laughing at your drunken antics, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

And as to why wishes only to non-genies.... well, he didn't drink that much himself, did he?

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Melvin the Mediocre wrote:


I know there is a camp of gamers who always want to punish PCs for trying to get wishes, but most of us figure they are in the game for a reason. And that reason is probably not so that the DM can punish the players who try to get them.

And there are who seem to think the primary reasosn game mechanics exist are to be exploited as cheaply as RAW text can be bent to make it possible.


LazarX wrote:
Melvin the Mediocre wrote:


I know there is a camp of gamers who always want to punish PCs for trying to get wishes, but most of us figure they are in the game for a reason. And that reason is probably not so that the DM can punish the players who try to get them.

And there are who seem to think the primary reasosn game mechanics exist are to be exploited as cheaply as RAW text can be bent to make it possible.

And there seems to be a group who thinks that any reading that empowers the player is "bending the text."

Efreet-binding as a form of wishes is a standard fantasy trope. It's also, of course, highly dangerous because, in general, efreet are powerful, evil, and highly organized.

But it's no more "rule bending" to decide to take that risk than it is "rule bending" to decide that, because the King's Treasury is full of money, that I'm going to steal it. If I'm stupid enough to try, or powerful enough to pull it off, more power to me. Conversely, it's a great adventure hook.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Orfamay Quest wrote:


Efreet-binding as a form of wishes is a standard fantasy trope. It's also, of course, highly dangerous because, in general, efreet are powerful, evil, and highly organized.

.

To be more correct the way the trope generally reads are the frequently gruesome consequences of trying the cheat the universe by attempting to do things like that posted above. And it's something that always ends badly.


Nice way to trap an Efreeti, kudos. :)

Well, It all depends upon the DM of course. But being old school, (OLD school, before there numbers behind the 'D&D' symbol) my group has always presumed, despite specific wordings of various versions of the spell, that a 'Magic Circle' would hold any creature from another plane that was put into it. Period.

For PF, think of it this way 'Magic Circle' is a spell, with a limited duration. Follow the rules as written for simplicity.

A Magic Circle is a circle of runes of power drawn or inscribed into a flat surface, usually the floor, and (once activated) is inviolate against creatures from another dimension unless the person who made it made a serious mistake drawing it, (Use Spellcraft and K:Arcana with suitably high DC to make sure they drew it correctly) or makes the bigger mistake of breaking the circle while the creature is inside.

(This is a combination of comments from early editions of the game, and data from current popular novels involving such things) :)

If the characters WANT to interact with the Efreeti, knowing that they will use the smallest misspoken word against them, then as a player AND a GM I would allow it. Simply find a way to do so that fits the rules, if you are a stickler, or use (game) logic to do so. Similar to how we use the Item creation rules to use spells and Create Wondrous Item to do things that the spell itself could never do. :)

You could do as an earlier poster suggested, and create a Wondrous Item to hold a summoned creature wile you engage their services.

-Spend a LOT of GP creating a Brass circle, line said circle with magic symbols of power shaped from gold and silver, install permanently into the floor of your 'magic room' using spells like Planar binding, Magic Circle and permanence to power it. If you are a summoner it could be a very useful item for both this specific situation and RP'ing.

Or ANOTHER option, enter into a contract with the genie, instead of extracting a wish. (Still dangerous, but MUCH safer) Get them to agree to guard your home base, castle, etc, for a period of time. (Say, 1-200 years or so, not much time to an Efreeti) They stay as a statue during this time when not needed. Once their contract is up they go home.

Of course, you STILL have to presume that they will find a way around any 'non-retaliation' clause you put in the contract, but this gives you a great guardian, and 100 years or so to figure out how to defend yourself against the Efreeti when it is released. :)

Just my 2 cp. Whatever you decide to do with them, (extract wishes or garden gnomes) have fun! :)


In the end, I decided I would rather extract wishes from something I bound myself so I will have more control. Instead I traded the two efreetis to the two largest libraries on the continent in exchange for permanent access to their spell tomes.


It sounds like you got your wish!

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Advice / stoned efreetis All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.