Following Step clarification


Rules Questions


Hi,

just want to be clear if this is correct.

Stepup lets you follow a creature that 5ft steps away from you.

Following Step allows you to move 10 feet.
This allows you to follow and opponent who uses a move action to move away 10ft. You can follow up to 10ft.

What if he moves 15 ft? Could you follow 10ft anyway, then hit him with an AOO for leaving the new square you threaten? That would also allow you to 5ft step to him next round and full attack.

Or if he only 5ft steps away, could you move 5ft up then 5ft left/right so long as you remain adjacent (I'm thinking to reposition to flank)

Cheers.

Our confusion is because the feat doesn't say you can follow ten feet of his move. Just that you can move 10ft when using Stepup.
Stepup says 'when an enemy five foot steps away'

We believe our interpretation is RAI.


Well, I know it's only been 6 hours but I hope the lack of replies means that my interpretation is correct.


Ardenup wrote:
Well, I know it's only been 6 hours but I hope the lack of replies means that my interpretation is correct.

It sounds good to me.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Ardenup wrote:

Hi,

just want to be clear if this is correct.

Stepup lets you follow a creature that 5ft steps away from you.

Following Step allows you to move 10 feet.
This allows you to follow and opponent who uses a move action to move away 10ft. You can follow up to 10ft.

What if he moves 15 ft? Could you follow 10ft anyway, then hit him with an AOO for leaving the new square you threaten? That would also allow you to 5ft step to him next round and full attack.

Or if he only 5ft steps away, could you move 5ft up then 5ft left/right so long as you remain adjacent (I'm thinking to reposition to flank)

Cheers.

Our confusion is because the feat doesn't say you can follow ten feet of his move. Just that you can move 10ft when using Stepup.
Stepup says 'when an enemy five foot steps away'

We believe our interpretation is RAI.

The feat is written to allow you to move 10' when an adjacent foe makes a 5' step. This would allow you to change the side to which you are adjacent. I don't think it is intended to allow you to chase after a retreating/withdrawing foe to take AOOs.

The only thing that's unclear to me is whether you have to be adjacent to the foe that you are following at the end of your 10' movement. My guess is yes, but it's not explicitly stated.

Silver Crusade

I think adam's interpretation is correct. The real benefit to following step is being able to shift your position and to essentially gain an extra 10' of movement when an opponent tries to 5' step away.


karkon wrote:
I think adam's interpretation is correct. The real benefit to following step is being able to shift your position and to essentially gain an extra 10' of movement when an opponent tries to 5' step away.

Also, Following Step won't take 5' from your movement for the next turn (nor the ability to take 5' steps), which is a downside of Step Up.


Just remember that using the Following Step 10-foot move to reposition yourself beside the enemy provokes an AoO. ;)

Sczarni

Pathfinder Starfinder Society Subscriber

Byronus, the last post in this thread was 2010...

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Rules Questions / Following Step clarification All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.