QM:- I want to be using Alchemical items a lot. In theory, I would expect I would be using alchemical items in most encounters. In practice, you really, really cannot. Offensive or defensive number bumps would address some of the feat related issues, but it still wouldn't make me feel more "alchemical" because at the end of the day, I cannot afford to use alchemical items with much frequency.
- I want to make more use of my primary stat. In theory, other classes have a primary stat that will be used directly when making use of their toolbox; Fighters get STR/DEX to use with their toolbox (of hitting things), Rogues get STR/DEX/CHA for same, Wizard gets INT for spells. In practice, it only impacts the number of infused reagents you get (and not by much) and the DC on your alchemical items (and only at 8th level and only if you take Powerful Alchemy).
1. How much alchemy? At 10th, you could have 45 mutagens (or bombs or elixirs of life if those are your specialty). Or 12 mutagens, 12 elixirs, & 5 in-combat options. Plus the cheap freebies.
That seems like it'd cover each combat. For you, not the party.
Or 1st, that's 4 mutagens & 4 elixirs & 1 in-combat option.
Or 10 bombs. Can't really afford in-combat options, but that'd cover most rounds.
Chirurgeon's a bit stretched trying to cover the party...hmm.
Maybe Field Discovery should move to 1st level, or some alchemical Cantrip (alcantrip? alchemtrip?) needs to be created. Maybe a 1st level ability in the Research Fields, like an elemental toss, faux-mutagen boost, or minor temp h.p. booster? Nothing they can share, so it can align w/ Cantrips in power (though not necessarily ramping up, that could be a nice addition, much like Rage ramps up).
And that Quick Alchemy & feats which use up infusions...so costly.
Dunno what to say.
2. In my first post I'd recommended Str as an option for Mutagenists and Dex for Bombers. Maybe Wisdom for Mutagenists? And the X=Int suggestion in my second post would cover this too. It is odd how easy it is...
1) As a Bomber, as I said, your schtick, to throw bombs, can be performed adequately in combat, if only because bombs lend themselves to that; you could throw one every round if you had quantity, and in later levels and after 7th, you will have that quantity. It's worse than a cantrip but it's doable. For Mutagenists, yes you may have the number but not all of your elixirs will be relevant. And your access to bombs is not nearly as replete as for Bombers; you simply can't bomb all day. And regardless, that's not what you signed up for, you signed up to be a combat beast using chemistry. Chirurgeons don't need antiplagues and antivenoms all day, but that's what they can generate for free.
2) Yeah, the combat numbers would be nice to boost, but yeah, something to make a primary attribute significant would be nice.