Imeckus Stroon

Chaderick the Penguin's page

Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber. 53 posts. No reviews. No lists. 1 wishlist.


RSS

1 to 50 of 53 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

Oh, man!

Please do cancel it. I found it somewhere else today and grabbed it up, but I would have much rather gotten it directly from you!


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

Hello!

Is it possible to cancel this order? It is on backorder.

I was a little confused by the verbiage that previously read: "Print Edition: This product is a backorder. Ships from our warehouse in 1 to 7 business days."

That verbiage no longer appears on the product page, I noticed as I went to copy/paste, but I had pasted it into the forum yesterday as part of a question about it.

Thank you for all you do--I'm eager to see a number of other items that are coming soon, but I would prefer to hunt this one down in a local store if possible.


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

Thanks for the quick response!!!

Here is the text I'm seeing, copied and pasted from the end of the item description. I grabbed a little extra text before and after, but if you hit CTRL+F and type in "1 to 7 business days" it should home right in on it.

-----------------------
Copy/Paste from above:
The Bestiary Box also includes twenty 1"-bases for Medium and smaller pawns, ten 2"-bases for Large pawns, and five 3"-bases for Huge pawns.
Product Availability

Print Edition: This product is a backorder. Ships from our warehouse in 1 to 7 business days.

PDF: Will be added to your My Downloads Page immediately upon purchase of PDF.
-----------------------

I guess my question changes, though, based on your answer. It looks like there was a lot of excitement around the most recent restock, and I missed it! Is there any idea when there will be another?

Or would it be a better idea (with Pathfinder 2 coming) to look harder at other sites? I mean, I imagine that the minis in this box will be 100% viable for Pathfinder 2, but...I'm sure everything will be different when the new edition hits...different branding, different monsters included, etc.

After all, if there's a new book out there with the title Pathfinder Bestiary, it stands to reason this pawn collection won't be out there supporting it. There'll be a different one!

I just don't want to wait months for a restock that, at some point, won't seem feasible anymore from a business standpoint.


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

I ordered this, but I'm a little confused how to read this line: This item is a Backorder. Usually ships from our warehouse in 1 to 7 days.

Does that mean that it takes 1 to 7 days to come off backorder?

Or that, after an eventual restock (at a currently unknown date), that it will ship from the warehouse that was restocked 1 to 7 days later?

I've recently been able to grab up Boxes 2-6, and I LOVE these guys. Just gauging how long it will be until I can complete my collection!


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

I know that this is 305 posts into the conversation, but I want to join with those who say that alignment has never caused a problem at any game I've run in the last thirty-five years.

When I've seen those problems in other groups, it's generally come from the fact that people believe they understand "Good" and "Evil" as real-world concepts and try to shoe-horn them into the fantasy world without acknowledging the "Law" and "Chaos" are equally powerful forces in that fantasy world. The idea that an angel and an eladrin could have as much dislike for one another as an angel and a devil (though they would carry out that dislike in very different ways because of the difference between morality and ethics and so on and so forth) seems to be the hurdle that players have to get past.

Folks who haven't "gotten it" yet seem to insist that the "good guys" would get along. Recognizing that Chaotic-Good and Lawful-Good are just as different as Lawful-Evil and Lawful-Good is a big step, and it's challenging for some.

I've never had someone who developed an understanding of these fantasy norms continue to impress "real world" norms on my game.


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

I was so SO excited for these.

I had images of buying three and laying them out along the table, and the heroes had to get from one side to the other, risking smoke inhalation, burns, deadfalls, and surprise attacks.

I figured one side might be scenario-based, but the other side would be a good-old forest fire.

Unfortunately, these maps don't work on either side. I could build a scenario around a cabin on the water with fire encroaching. I could build a scenario with burning trees around a rock stair. But in terms of a forest fire scenario, any sort of "forest fire" in general...can't be had here.

I didn't buy the hazards map tiles in previous years because there were only three tiles. When I run my game I lay out three maps side-by-side along the table. I can't buy that many dozens of map tile sets just to get the one hazard I need.

I'll have to get more creative if I'm really going to do this, but I wanted to post about the three sales that won't be happening on this one. I'm really sad over it.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber
Matthew Downie wrote:
Nathanael Love wrote:
But your bloat is someone else's favorite option.
Quote:

Threatening Illusion (Metamagic)

You’ve mastered the art of making illusions that force foes to divide their attention in combat.
Prerequisites: Spell Focus (illusion), gnome.
Benefit: You can use this metamagic feat only on illusion (figment) spells.
A threatening illusion spell causes one target to believe your illusion is a threat. Choose one 5-foot square within the area of your illusion; that square threatens the target as long as it is adjacent. Thus, if you or an ally is on the opposite side of the target, it is considered flanking. Normally the area must contain an illusory creature of Small or Medium size. However, you can select one square of a larger illusory creature to threaten the target. For example, an illusory Large ogre takes up four 5-foot squares; you select one square to be the source of the threat, and its other three squares do not threaten anyone. If the target has reason to believe there is an invisible creature in the vicinity, even an auditory illusion with no visual elements (such as ghost sound) is sufficient to convince the target that the selected square contains an actual threat. As long as you maintain the illusion, you can change the location of the threatening square as a swift action. When you threaten a target with this spell, the foe may make a Will save to disbelieve (DC 10 + threatening spell’s level + your spellcasting ability score modifier). If the target makes this save, the threatening effect of this feat no longer applies to it.
Level Increase: +1 (a threatening illusion takes up a spell slot one level higher than normal.)
Normal: Illusion spells do not threaten squares.

Is this anyone's favorite option? Gnome, two feats, +1 caster level, all to give an ability that I would have allowed any illusionist to do for free?

It's apparent that you are eager for second edition, but the basis that in your personal games you would not require a feat for this ability is hardly something to hold against the games as written.

We all house rule, for our own reasons, but if the internet has taught us anything it is that, yes, that thing that you think is really lame probably IS someone else's favorite toy. Yes, even this one.

The problem with edition wars that makes them personal has always been that they are the place where personal opinion collides with poor game design. There is a broad gray area where those two things co-exist, and the longer a game persists the broader that gray area becomes.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

I have to admit that my concerns are mainly financial. I'm not getting rid of my first-edition books. I still have every book I've ever owned, going back to the mid-70s (not that I've been alive that long, just...that's a digression).

With six Bestiaries full of monsters, it's a guarantee that every 2E monster book will be loaded with slightly different stats for monsters that I've already paid for. And now that I have collected well over a half-dozen DMs/GMs guides (not including setting specific ones like the Ravenloft Dungeon Master's Guide, etc.)...I'm not looking forward to the opportunity to pay for another one that is mostly new spins on old ideas and a handful of rules that I really need in order to run a proper 2E game.

And, like the Goliath Druid mentioned above, the flip side is that we are guaranteed to NEVER see some of our old favorites, because they weren't cool enough, or popular enough, and anyway, you can just make them yourself with a few quick and easy tweaks. Some of my favorite movies were never released on anything other than VHS. Did I stop loving them? No. But have I been able to clear up the space where the VCR sits? No, again.

I'm not anxious to see the repetition this will cause, and I'm less anxious to see what becomes the VHS of 1E.


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber
the Haunted Jester wrote:
I would like to say that I feel the quality of the maps seems to have lessened in the Runescar series. I enjoy the maps as they add flavor to the smaller encounters or additions to larger maps. The quality of the artwork appears to be inconsistent with previous maps from earlier series releases(Hollow Mountain, City of Secrets, Origins, etc..) This is simply my 2cp and others mileage may vary.

I, also, regretfully agree. Pathfinder is the only comic that I don't buy digitally these days (I went digital post-Flashpoint), and the maps are the only reason for that.

I'm going to take a look at the maps for whatever comes after Runescars (whatever IS coming after Runescars?). The stories keep getting better--Runescars is my favorite arc to date--but the maps are taking up space that I can't spare if they're not up to the quality of the older ones.


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber
Adam Daigle wrote:

Check pages 218–239. That might be what you're looking for.

Of course, the "big three" get more attention than the other fiends, but there's also hand tables talking about their niche and what offerings they prefer (for all fiends).

I'll check it out! Thank you so much for responding, and so quickly!!!

Edit: That's pretty much EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thanks again!


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

Hi, all!

I've got the pdf copy of this, and a paper copy coming in the mail, but my quick review left me with a pretty big question that I really thought this book would answer.

Is there any spot, anywhere, that lists all of these evil creature types and gives their "role?" I know I can look up devil, or demon, or any of the others, individually. But there are close to a dozen of these things, and each fills a specific niche.

I think that's awesome, but I don't have the brainpower after work, family, and everything else to keep eleven different brands of evil straight.

I really thought this book would take one or two pages and give a quick blurb on what each one of these things is, and why it operates the way it does...

Am I missing it? Or is there something to that effect somewhere else?

My addled brain thanks you!!!


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

I keep thinking that I've got a complete collection, and I just don't need more minis.

There are four minis here that I would have loved to have even in the 80s...


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

I can sympathize with the sentiment of the original post, and it's one of the reasons I'm so relieved to game with the group that I do.

I don't agree that we could compare the acceptance of a hero carrying a dozen pole-arms to the acceptance that there are fire-breathing dragons. If the dragon swooped down in a charge using five lances (because tail), then I could see the comparison, and I'd say it was equally silly.

We don't play a simulationist game, but we do go for a relatively cinematic look. So, for instance, we had a fighter with two swords crisscrossed on his back, and two more on his hips. It looked cool. It may have been a suicide effort in an actual swordfight, no one in my group really knows or cares, but each of his swords had a "home." That's the bar that our group has, and it's admittedly pretty low.


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber
Anguish wrote:
TriOmegaZero wrote:
I also end up with only single digit numbers of peanuts on the floor. My biggest concern is my cat dumping the box out to play with the rest.

Full disclosure: I am an idiot. Hopefully I manage to be somewhat entertaining while exhibiting my idiocy, but it's clearly visible nonetheless.

I missed a word or two of the post I was replying to. I somehow got the (woefully and unforgivably mistaken) impression that Chaderick only had four or five peanuts per package. Silly, silly me. Nay, that was merely the quantity of escapees which managed to vault over his nimble fingers and make their bid for freedom. So, um... oops.

In my defense - and I admit this is a poor defense at best - I'm illiterate. Can't read at all. I am forced to merely pretend I know what people are posting via context and non-verbal hints. Faking it, really.

I'd say "mea culpa", but Rome has fallen, so I guess instead I'll just say "I'm sorry", which lacks a certain gravitas.

Happens to me ALL THE TIME.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

I don't understand why this is even a conversation.

Peanuts protect the stuff I buy from Paizo. I pick up the four or five that come out of the box when I open it, and I put them back in the box. Then I throw away the box and read the books I just bought.

Is the point of this argument that people seriously can't get books out of a box without throwing peanuts all over the place? I honestly don't get it.


6 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

As I said, encountering actual Romani through a friend who lived with them for several months, and seeing the genuine pain that word brought them, was enough for me.

I understand some folk don't care if their words bring pain to others, but I am certainly not of their ilk.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." --Mark Twain


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

This is absolutely a situation where, in the place of this word's origin, it is every bit as offensive as the two words you've mentioned.

The difference is that, in Western culture, this word came to us in a time where the values of other nations were not taken into account. When we excitedly pillaged the burial grounds of ancient nations, propogated the land of those less powerful than ourselves, etc. Under that lens, there was nothing offensive in the word, because there was nothing offensive in it *to us.*

In the modern day, we have no such excuse. We've returned most of the stolen artifacts and we've ceded most of that land. Insisting that a term is inoffensive because many people in our culture never bothered to learn its actual meaning or intent is an anachronism. And, frankly, it's an entitlement that few others in the world enjoy but which most other nations endure.

I feel like I'm preaching, but we have the luxury of declaring that this word is "okay," because we've heard it for a long time and without seeing the damage it has inflicted on others. And because of who "we" are, the people it has injured generally have to accept that sort of hubris with a smile.

I'll get off my soapbox now. This is the sort of thing where people will either agree with it or not, but very few will change their opinion on it.

I am gratified to see a number of people agreeing that, at the very least, this book was given a very unfortunate title.

dragonhunterq wrote:
Chaderick the Penguin wrote:

Having read through the thread that you provided, I'm seeing two sides to this argument.

One side is saying, "In some countries, the title of this book is one of the most vulgar terms imaginable. For a game that seeks to reach a global audience, it seems awfully irresponsible to use it so casually."

The other side is saying, "Where I'm from this word is not considered vulgar. So, people who find it offensive are overreacting by saying that it is."

I know a lot of people in the States who believe that the curse spelled out in C U Next Tuesday is the dirtiest word in the English language. And they are shocked and offended to hear other English speakers use it casually. Many times, I've heard U.S. speakers ask others not to use that term because it offends them. And folks from England don't get it, but they generally attempt to be "polite."

The whole thing about "bastard" is a rabbit hole, by the way. Not worth pursuing.

The bottom line in the argument appears to be whether you're the sort of person who respects the cultural norms of others, or whether you expect others across the world to live by your own. If the latter, then you certainly would not understand what's wrong with the title of the book in question. If the former, you would understand that a term as vulgar as this is not appropriate on the cover of a game book, available to children and anyone else who surfs the webstore.

As a native English speaker, I once held the opinion that this was not a vulgar term. But meeting people from other cultures has often had a transformative effect on me, and this is one of those instances. This really is a despicable term in their culture. Using it casually requires either a level of ignorance, or a complete lack empathy. I suspect for most people, it is certainly the former, simply because the term came to the States in a different era, when such things were accepted. But that illusion of decorum does not change the origin of the word, or its

...


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

Having read through the thread that you provided, I'm seeing two sides to this argument.

One side is saying, "In some countries, the title of this book is one of the most vulgar terms imaginable. For a game that seeks to reach a global audience, it seems awfully irresponsible to use it so casually."

The other side is saying, "Where I'm from this word is not considered vulgar. So, people who find it offensive are overreacting by saying that it is."

I know a lot of people in the States who believe that the curse spelled out in C U Next Tuesday is the dirtiest word in the English language. And they are shocked and offended to hear other English speakers use it casually. Many times, I've heard U.S. speakers ask others not to use that term because it offends them. And folks from England don't get it, but they generally attempt to be "polite."

The whole thing about "bastard" is a rabbit hole, by the way. Not worth pursuing.

The bottom line in the argument appears to be whether you're the sort of person who respects the cultural norms of others, or whether you expect others across the world to live by your own. If the latter, then you certainly would not understand what's wrong with the title of the book in question. If the former, you would understand that a term as vulgar as this is not appropriate on the cover of a game book, available to children and anyone else who surfs the webstore.

As a native English speaker, I once held the opinion that this was not a vulgar term. But meeting people from other cultures has often had a transformative effect on me, and this is one of those instances. This really is a despicable term in their culture. Using it casually requires either a level of ignorance, or a complete lack empathy. I suspect for most people, it is certainly the former, simply because the term came to the States in a different era, when such things were accepted. But that illusion of decorum does not change the origin of the word, or its persistent meaning in the place where it originated.


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

Personally, Carrion Crown is among my top three favorite adventure paths, but the previous description is correct. It's a series of functionally unrelated, yet very cool, adventures that are linked by a metaplot that only becomes gradually more important before the end arrives. I would have loved it if it had been more of a story-based adventure, but as it stands it functions mainly as a road-trip through Ustalav.

Fun, but not as epic as it could have been.

Right now I'm excited about the Strange Aeons adventure path that starts this month. I've looked at some of the pdf for that one, and I like what I've seen. I'm mainly waiting on my paper copy in the mail to actually read it, though, because more satisfying.

First issues have really stood out as more expensive. For me, the hole I wanted to fill in my collection was the Council of Thieves adventure path. It was almost impossible to find a used copy of volume one for under a hundred bucks. It was the first volume published under the Pathfinder rules set, I believe, and the start of a new adventure path. I've been telling myself that's why I had to sell a kidney to get it.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

I subscribed to the adventure path specifically because of this path. I subscribed previously through five adventure paths but stopped after Carrion Crown because what followed wasn't matching my group's interests. I am whole-heartedly back again with this one.


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

Just resubscribed to the Adventure Path for the first time since #48, and just subscribed to the Adventure Line for the first time, in order to get this and what's coming after.

Loving the current direction of these adventures!


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

That last sentence made my entire week. Beautifully done!


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

My games have started at level one. We use the older (1e-esque) experience progression, so level two usually comes after six or seven sessions. Our campaigns also last quite long, so it's more of a "slow and steady" approach.

The first campaign lasted 10 years, the second 15 years, and now this one just began about eight months ago, and we're expecting it to keep going for quite a while.

The reason I mention duration is that players start at first level, but they know that, as they earn levels, they will not be going back to those experience levels again for quite some time. If we burned through games at a faster rate, we'd also level quicker, too, but I suspect we'd still start at first level.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

I agree with those who have said that this group is toxic. You are obviously interested in a higher caliber game of this.

I'm not surprised to hear that these folks are in the 20s. My group has been together since we were all 13--we're in our 40s now--and it was until we were nearly 30 that we all agreed that the idea of being the guy in the dark cloak brooding in the dark corner with the dark secret got stale.

But, each of us got to that point separately. And some of our players quit for a time and came back when the rest of us matured to reach them.

There's "different" gaming, and there's "mature" gaming. This sort of "lone wolf" stuff with, "keep it role-play" mixed with "Matt Damon" jokes, is not a relaxed and fun gaming style--it's a socially abusive game where you're the target of the abuse. Maybe you can game with them in the future, but what you're doing right now is going to soil your friendships with the ones you like and constantly reinforce that at least one of the players has decided he doesn't like you for pretty much no reason.


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

In college, the group I DM'ed was four women, three men.

These days, I run a game for three couples and my wife, so we've been 50/50 or greater since 1994!


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
skyshark wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
the Haunted Jester wrote:
From what the product descriptions suggests, will this be a hybrid of Dragons Demand and Plunder & Peril with regards to how the information of the module is laid out?

Closer to Plunder & Peril.

It's not really about bringing a group of PCs from 1st to 7th level or thereabouts in one mini campaign; it's more about presenting a situation that spreads out into 3 different 1st level adventures to give a GM one of 3 options for an introductory game into Pathfinder, but that can also serve, if you play all three adventures, as an overall story that'll likely bring you to 3rd level at the end.

It's got a much less "epic" scope than Dragon's Demand and a much less frantic pace than that one as a result.

It's been awhile since we've seen a 32 page module that only advances you one level. Most modules lately have been 64 pages with multiple advancements in level.

Will we see any smaller modules in the near the future? The 64 pages are nice, but would like to see some 32 page modules back in the mix that can be run over the course of a single day.

I doubt it. Turns out that 32 page books, which don't have spines, are VERY difficult to get into bookstores. Sales data for the 64 page adventures bears this out—they're easier and more profitable to sell than are 32 page adventures.

That said, you can expect us to do more anthology style 64 page adventures in the future, similar to this one or the previous Plundery one we did a while back. These three individual adventures are more or less meant to be single session adventures that give you a fun one-shot game to play in precisely the way you request.

This is great, great news! I tend to pick up the mega-adventures because they are just so interesting and fun to read, but my game just doesn't allow for long-term adventures like that, for the most part, as my group of players ages and has less time for sustained story lines. These days I've been focusing more on over-arching "themes" that provide connective tissue between adventures but don't require specific plot lines to be remembered from session to session to...session.

The idea of anthology adventures like this is genuinely exciting. I'll get to keep buying fun adventures, but I'll get to DM them, too!


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

Just finished downloading the last of my files.

HUGE thank you to the Paizo team for your sleepless hours and hard work. I am consistently amazed by your professionalism in the face of a minority of customers who, in any situation, take justifiable frustration and turn it into maddening entitlement. Thank you, as always, for being who you are, and giving us a thriving, diverse, and thoroughly enjoyable hobby.

As a side note, while I was "personalizing," I was shopping Noble Knight Games. Just (finally) landed the whole Council of Thieves series at a price that matches what I usually see for just the first volume. When the dust from the Humble Bundle clears, I'll be back to pick up the pdf's for that Adventure Path, too...and the last three parts of Hell's Rebels.

I suppose that makes me a lifer...

Thanks again!!!


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber
Faelyn wrote:
Lissa Guillet wrote:
Yeah, I found a problem that may take a little while to move around. DNS problem that should fix itself once dns propogates. Save those links, they'll be good for a little while.
Thanks for looking into that, Lissa!

YES! Thank you!


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

Additional update: It seems to maybe be correcting itself?

Or maybe you all are working incredible magic in the background, still?

I just got one to download.

I'll check back after my daughter goes to bed for the night, in a few hours, and see how things are looking then.

THANK YOU, for a great Bundle for a great cause, and doing a great job handling an unforeseeable obstacle!!!


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

That's how much I love you guys. I would use Internet Explorer for you.

...but, that seems to be giving me trouble, too.

I can personalize, but I can go no farther.

The error reads:

Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at remote3.paizo.com.

Check the address for typing errors such as ww.example.com instead of www.example.com
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

Hmmm...

Personalizing seems to work now.

But now I'm getting "Firefox can't find the server at remote3.paizo.com." when I try to download the personalized file.

I've downloaded quite a few files from Paizo over the years; never saw this before.


14 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

I've got no problem "understanding."

Any company that gets 20,000 new customers, literally overnight, is going to run into support issues. I'm happy for Paizo, and I'll be even happier when I get my new books.

And, I'm happier still for the money going to a good cause.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

I have to admit, I have a friend who still rails about the fact the Helo didn't get the closure he deserved in the series finale of Battlestar Galactica. I'm getting that vibe here.

There's a good chance that Strange Aeons will disappoint anyone who comes at it with both an expectation for its failure and a list of demands that include it, effectively, not being an Adventure Path. At least you're honest with yourself that you probably won't be happy. If I want Red Lobster and go through the drive-thru at McDonald's, then I need to at least admit up front that this is not going to satisfy my appetite tonight.

Personally, I'm excited for SA. I dropped my subscription after Carrion Crown (which I enjoyed), because what came next hasn't interested me. But I'm anticipating subscribing again for SA. What Auxmaulous lists as limitations, I list as perks.

Also, loved House on Hook Street, Feast of Ravenmoor, Carrion Hill, and From Shore to Sea. (Not mentioning Hungry Are the Dead, Carnival of Tears, or Hangman's Noose because apparently their age and pre-Pathfinder rule set disqualify them from being awesome adventures that freaked out my players?)

To each our own. And, in this case, I *think* I'm getting what I want for the first time since the end of Carrion Crown. Glee!!!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber
Deadmanwalking wrote:

Wait, hold on a moment here...

** spoiler omitted **

They actually don't throw it all away.

Slavers:

A4: In the Dungeons of the Slave Lords
Page 22
"In addition, all of the equipment taken from the characters
when they were captured is stored below in the tiny hold. It was
to be sent to the coast to be identified, and eventually sold. The
equipment is stored securely among other trade goods (these
goods are worth a total of 350 gp)."

This same text appears on page 122 of the "Scourge of the Slave Lords" anthology.

The more recent "Against the Slave Lords" hardback has slightly different text, on page 150:
"In addition, all of the equipment taken from the characters when
they were captured is stored below in the tiny hold. It was to be
sent to the coast to be identified, and eventually sold. The equipment
is stored securely among other trade goods (these goods are
worth a total of 350 gp).

"NOTE: If the players are using the characters provided with the
module, the stored equipment will include the following magical
possessions (some of which, such as magic arrows, may have been
lost):
Elwita’s shield +1 and war hammer +2
“Ogre’s” battle axe +1, splint mail +2, and 5 arrows +1
Freda’s 4 arrows +2, chain mail +3, and bastard sword +1
Karraway’s sling of seeking
Blodgett’s +1 sword of speed, ring of protection +1, and boots of elvenkind
Delgath’s bracers of AC 6 and book of spells
Phanstern’s cloak of protection +2 and book of spells
Eljayess’ spear +1 and book of spells
Kayen Telva’s javelin of piercing

"Their other normal possessions are also stored here. If the above
characters are not being used, the listed equipment will NOT be
there! Instead, the equipment the characters were carrying when
they were captured will be there in its place."

1E had a lot of crazy, unfun and unfair tropes, but they showed a reluctance to remove the adventurers' gear without returning it. Even characters teleported naked through the Tomb of Horrors could find their gear at the end of the session if Acererak was slain.

More on topic:
Death effects. I've reworked the rules of the game I run to remove death effects. Nothing will kill you outright, though it is possible to take an enemy (hero or villain) to varying degrees of negative hit points.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

Yep. Have to admit that I disagree with everything in that article.

Bottom line seems to be, "I don't like D&D."

Which, of course, is the author's prerogative. But, I wouldn't go to a football team and tell them that the only way to fix their game would be to play baseball...


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

FWIW, I also love the idea of Zhakata. The aspect of the Provider gives a reason for why the faithful would endure such hardship.

Especially considering what makes you dubious about Zon Kuthon, you get a Lawful-Evil deity (Well, in the end he turned out to be something very different, masquerading as a deity...but you don't need to keep that particular drawing back of the curtain!) with a built-in reason for depredation!


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

Good to know! Thanks, Luthorne and Urath DM--I'll know to use my gift cards more wisely in the future.

I appreciate you guys taking the time to bring me up to speed! :-)


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber
Luthorne wrote:
Chaderick the Penguin wrote:

Hi, all--I don't usually do this, but I had an Amazon gift card from two Christmases ago, and I used it to pre-order this book. I just got off the phone with Amazon, because it was an October 1 pre-order (and today is October 5), and the customer service guy told me that the book has not been released yet, "To Amazon.com."

I've seen the book at other retailers, from BAM! to (I believe) Barnes and Noble, but Amazon apparently "released" it yet. Is this something that happens often with Amazon and Pathfinder books? I'm not sure what to make of it, especially since my gift card was used already...

(Apologies if this isn't appropriate to the Product Discussion forum; please direct me to a better place if I'm in the wrong spot!)

Yes, Amazon releases Paizo material far later than physical stores and Paizo itself does.

But, do they usually release them after their own published pre-order date? I was willing to wait the extra two weeks or so until October 1 came around, but now even Amazon's date has passed, and Amazon is saying they don't have it...

(Unless that's exactly what you were saying, in which case...ugh. I made a mistake ordering that book the way I did...)


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

Hi, all--I don't usually do this, but I had an Amazon gift card from two Christmases ago, and I used it to pre-order this book. I just got off the phone with Amazon, because it was an October 1 pre-order (and today is October 5), and the customer service guy told me that the book has not been released yet, "To Amazon.com."

I've seen the book at other retailers, from BAM! to (I believe) Barnes and Noble, but Amazon apparently "released" it yet. Is this something that happens often with Amazon and Pathfinder books? I'm not sure what to make of it, especially since my gift card was used already...

(Apologies if this isn't appropriate to the Product Discussion forum; please direct me to a better place if I'm in the wrong spot!)


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber
Hawkmoon269 wrote:

There is an issue where the site has problems processing large orders. See this thread as an example.

If you have time before the sale ends (and you should since the sale runs for 2 more days), just leave your order in your shopping cart and ask Customer Service to submit it for you.

If that won't work, break your order down to smaller sizes so it will submit. If you then need the order combined to save on shipping or to take advantage of the First Ten shipping, ask customer service to combine them for you.

Thank you so much, Hawkmoon269!

I reduced the size of my order, and it went through in two chunks.

Maaaan...I wish there was a note somewhere in the Shopping Cart that warned about that. I had the whole weekend to do something with my new pdf's. Now I'm back at work, and I've got 46 new documents sitting there...taunting me. And God knows when I'll have another free weekend to do anything with them...

REALLY appreciate you passing the word along. I did a number of searches and never came up with the thread you linked.


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

Hello,

I added 46 items to my shopping cart the morning of Saturday, March 7. I've been experiencing the problem where I cannot proceed to checkout. I've attempted clearing my cache, as well as logging out. I've attempted to checkout using Safari and Chrome.

I know the existing sale is a limited-time event, so I am very eager to complete this transaction.

I've been looking about, because I know this problem has occurred in the past (and experienced it personally during at least one previous sale event), but I'm not seeing any indication that anyone else is affected this time around.

Please help!


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

Just something that works really well for my group, but we have been doing it for a few years now:

Folks role-play their characters as best they can, but I gauge the NPCs reaction through a combination of what they said and their diplomacy check. The logic being that a *character* with a low Charisma would say the exact same thing in a much worse way than the player just did, while a *character* with a high charisma would say it much better.

The NPCs still react to what was said, but the positive/negative aspects are determined by the roll.

At first we were concerned that it would take out the role-playing aspect of the game, but it really has enhanced it. We're a fairly bookish lot, so it allows us to play those super-charismatic folks that we all dream of being without worrying that our lack of eloquence will haunt us in a fantasy world. And the members of our group who are better spoken have been very willing to accept that, if they used Charisma as their dump stat, then their characters just aren't as well spoken as they are.

That doesn't mean they never say it well, the dice aren't that fickle, but it does keep things on a more logical keel, the same way the dice do with physical and mental abilities.


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

I'm curious how far your ruling would take this. Is it your impression that a Cleric 1/Wizard 8 could sacrifice a fourth-level wizard spell and get commensurate healing from it, even though the most powerful cure spell he could actually prepare would be first level?

I'm not "native" to Pathfinder, but I think I understand the rules well enough to see that that could be very easily abused.

Personally, I'm definitely from the "separate classes function separately" camp. My class determines my spell allotment, and the level at which each spell is cast. The sorcerer ruling I'm reading about just baffles me.


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

I would also posit that there is a precedent for Asmodeus transcending typical devilhood. Since the 2E "Guide to Hell" supplement, Asmodeus was a deity. I'm pretty sure he retained that status in 4E, though I'm a bit fuzzy where he fell in the 3E years. The canon was all Greyhawk (the big deifying promotion there went to Vecna), and I don't have my copy of the 3.5 "Fiendish Codex II" handy...


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber
DungeonmasterCal wrote:
3.5 Loyalist wrote:
DungeonmasterCal wrote:
If someone asks to play a talking donkey in my game they might get an ear punch... lol
What about the frightening asswere?
That's too horrible to contemplate.

It's the teeth that haunt my dreams.

I don't know why, but those teeth have stuck with me since the first time I saw that picture...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber
Apocalypso wrote:
Chaderick the Penguin wrote:


I love telling this story. It pretty much defined who I grew up to be...

I started looking at my dad's AD&D books as soon as I was able to realize what books were. I really wanted to play, but he wanted me to be a "normal" kid and do things like play sports.

He told me that when I had read all of the AD&D manuals, then he would let me play.

So, I learned to read from Gary Gygax's writing. I was around four when Dad sat down with me and played my first adventure (around 1979), but I'd been paging through the books and the old boxed sets since I was two or three, maybe younger.

My vote is that "Gary Gygax taught me to read" wins the thread!

LOL!

Not to derail the thread, but my grammar school teachers were always wondering where I was coming up with those words they had to look up...

:-D


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

I'd like to "fourth" the idea of a guide to Chronomancers!


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

LOL!

That's MY thinking! :)

I'm seeing on another thread about a new AP coming next year that looks like it might be verrry appealing to me...and like a nightmare to most of the rest of my gaming group.

But, yeah, I think this is a definite situation where some people's interests (minotaur, warforged, Hello Kitty ninja, what have you) are just not going to appeal to everyone. I think the three Fourth Edition Player's Handbooks are loaded with examples of "niche" player races like these...


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber
Lincoln Hills wrote:
I suppose most players have some race for which they say, "I wish these were playable" (or, during the regular times when playing-as-monsters books have come out, "I can't wait to play one.") For me, it's lizardfolk; but I've met centaur fans, kobold fans, pixie fans, undead fans, drow fans - soooooooo many drow fans... where was I?

When I read this, I was like, "Oh, no...Not me!"

Then I started to think, I really do like warforged. And that's definitely an alternate race. And half of the group I currently DM for is convinced that the race is a lame excuse to play a golem. So, right there at my table is a sterling example.

I just keep thinking, "But I let THEM play all their strange races, why are they so resistant to letting me play my warforged?" And then I remember that it's not just the warforged. It's also the gunslinger part of the equation... ;)

And there comes along my next human evoker, or human rogue number 232. They make less waves, cause less eyes to roll, and I still haven't gotten tired of playing them after all these years!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

I love telling this story. It pretty much defined who I grew up to be...

I started looking at my dad's AD&D books as soon as I was able to realize what books were. I really wanted to play, but he wanted me to be a "normal" kid and do things like play sports.

He told me that when I had read all of the AD&D manuals, then he would let me play.

So, I learned to read from Gary Gygax's writing. I was around four when Dad sat down with me and played my first adventure (around 1979), but I'd been paging through the books and the old boxed sets since I was two or three, maybe younger.

1 to 50 of 53 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>