The Demons Cometh

Monday, March 4, 2013


"Help me, fearless Pathfinder. You're my only hope."

One of my earliest goals when I took over as developer of the Pathfinder Society Organized Play campaign in fall 2010 was to increase the internal continuity within the campaign. In the 2-1/2 years since, we've upped the metaplot elements of the campaign and have featured a number of recurring villains, locations, and subplots (with more to come!). It took a few years to build up the momentum I'd hoped for with the campaign's many interacting pieces, but I think we're finally there! It's fitting, then, that we hired John to take the torch from me (albeit after several more months of mentorship on my part) just as I feel we've attained the loftiest goal I set for myself all those years ago.

I'm particularly proud of our recently released Season 4 exclusive scenario, Day of the Demon, written by fan-favorite author Larry Wilhelm. This scenario serves as thematic link between last year and the concluding scenarios of the Year of the Ruby Phoenix, the current season—the Year of the Risen Rune—and next season, which we're calling the Year of the Demon. (Notice the similarity in titles between the season and the scenario? That wasn't an accident). Larry did a bang-up job on this scenario, and I'm glad it will be run exclusively for the next year by the campaign's most dedicated volunteers, including our growing army of regional coordinators (both Venture-Captains and Venture-Lieutenants) and 4- and 5-star Game Masters.

Day of the Demon is a scenario that no Pathfinder Society player should miss out on, so encourage your regional coordinator or local celebrity GM to run this one for you. This poor character (a young girl named Tilly Anders) is counting on your heroic PC to save her from a terrible, terrible fate. How can you say no to a face like that?

Mark Moreland
Developer

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Pathfinder Society
1 to 50 of 54 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Liberty's Edge 4/5 Venture-Captain, Texas—San Antonio aka Dragnmoon

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Mark Moreland wrote:
Day of the Demon is a scenario that no Pathfinder Society player should miss out on, so encourage your regional coordinator or local celebrity GM to run this one for you.

I take offense to this! I am a world wide PFS celebrity GM!... ;)

Edit: Not only that I have found Proof that Mike is raising an Army of Red Shirts to accomplish his evil plans!!!

Mark Moreland wrote:
Larry did a bang-up job on this scenario, and I'm glad it will be run exclusively for the next year by the campaign's most dedicated volunteers, including our growing army of regional coordinators (both Venture-Captains and Venture-Lieutenants) and 4- and 5-star Game Masters

Liberty's Edge 5/5

Dragnmoon wrote:
Mark Moreland wrote:
Day of the Demon is a scenario that no Pathfinder Society player should miss out on, so encourage your regional coordinator or local celebrity GM to run this one for you.
I take offense to this! I am a world wide PFS celebrity GM!... ;)

Some celebrities are celebrated for their ignominy rather than their idyllicness.

Sovereign Court

Just played this Saturday and it was a lot of fun. An important note to anyone running this for the first time:

Spoiler:
Read up on how Misdirection works.

Liberty's Edge 4/5 Venture-Captain, Texas—San Antonio aka Dragnmoon

Andrew Christian wrote:
Some celebrities are celebrated for their ignominy rather than their idyllicness.

Trust me Andrew, Mike has Evil plans for you Green Shirts as well.

Liberty's Edge 5/5

chuckle... I'm sure he does... I'm sure he does...

Grand Lodge RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

1 person marked this as a favorite.

After reading this blog, I've decided that if I encounter a little girl, I'm going to stab her in the face ASAP. Remember the shooting range in Men In Black? Yeah.

If she turns out to have been an innocent, I blame Mark Moreland's writing.

;)

Silver Crusade

Well! Better start buying those Protection from Evil and Dismissal scrolls. With a season title like that, my clerics are going to need additional training for handling these types of baddies.

Grand Lodge 5/5

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Rulebook Subscriber

Before I go lobbying for a celebrity GM, what Tiers is The Demons Cometh?

Paizo Employee Developer

2 people marked this as a favorite.

"The Demons Cometh" is not currently a scenario title, but we might make it one in the future. The title of this year's exclusive is Day of the Demon, and it's for Tier 3–7.

As for stabbing children in the face, such an action would constitute an evil action and cause your PC to be removed from play. Players have been asking for the opportunity to be "good guys" and perform heroic deeds, so we're giving them an NPC in need of help so that they can do so. If we hear of folks just stabbing her willy-nilly (ha! her name is Tilly!), I'll just have to fill the rest of the season with plotless dungeon crawls. It's up to you, Jiggy.


Day of the Demon is a tier 3-7 scenario.

Grand Lodge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Mark Moreland wrote:
"As for stabbing children in the face, such an action would constitute an evil action and cause your PC to be removed from play.

Unless it's your faction mission. In which case you can still play the character, but there is probably something seriously wrong with you. ;)

The Exchange 5/5

wow... I think I'm going to "steal" that picture for the table tent on my "Child-like" halfling "girl" - just too cute!

Grand Lodge RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

Hrm, sounds like maybe my joking tone didn't come through in my post about the blog making me suspicious.

Just so we're clear:
I have not played the scenario.
Being only a 1-star GM, I have not seen the scenario.
I have no idea whether the little girl in question is a legit child-in-need, a demon in disguise, a reincarnated druid, a powerful illusion spell with pre-programmed sound effects, a disguised faerie/spirit intending to see if our hearts are true, or whatever.
I intend to play this (if possible) with my LG cleric, who will NOT be stabbing helpless-looking children without a VERY good reason.

I was just joking around about being paranoid and pretending the last couple of lines of the blog were a cover-up.

Sorry if I bugged anyone. :(

Dark Archive

Not to mention most Pathfinders have not seen Men in Black.

4/5

I ran this mod this Friday, and all I can say was good job.

Spoiler:
The players helped Tilly through the end.

I enjoy that the season's have the continuity to them and the portents to things to come....

I recall someone putting in alot of hours making sure pathfinder wiki compined all the continuity made easier for the rest of us.

Wonder what that guy is doing now....;)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Jiggy wrote:
Sorry if I bugged anyone. :(

Don't worry, Jiggy. We'll use the "flashy thing", and none of them will remember this thread ever happened. ;-)

3/5

Mark Morland wrote:
It's fitting, then, that we hired John to take the torch from me (albeit after several more months of mentorship on my part)

So where are you going Mark and what are you going to be up to? Apparently I missed something!

Also from this blog here you state:

Mark Moreland wrote:
Dragnmoon wrote:

Congrats John!

Quick Question, what is Mark's New position?

Who said anything about me getting a new position? My title remains Developer and I'll continue working on the Pathfinder Society line as I have for the last 2-1/2 years. Having John on board will mean that the campaign will have a wider bandwidth on which to operate, and I'll have the ability to handle some of the other, non-Pathfinder Society responsibilities I have.

Sure sounds like you're doing something new.

Scarab Sages

Now I just need to find a local GM to run this before my magus out levels the scenario.

4/5

Pathfinder Adventure, Lost Omens, Maps, Rulebook, Starfinder Maps Subscriber

Sounds great, now I just need to wait a year to be able to run this. Aw shucks.

5/5 5/55/5 RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16

This will likely make the schedule for Spring Mepacon in Clarks Summit, PA.
It will also be scheduled for a game day in May in my region.

Dark Archive

Jeffrey Fox wrote:
Sounds great, now I just need to wait a year to be able to run this. Aw shucks.

Or you could GM 90 more times.

5/5 5/55/55/5

Adam Mogyorodi wrote:
Not to mention most Pathfinders have not seen Men in Black.

Seen it? They LIVE it...

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Pawns Subscriber

Any hints as to what the new Year of the Demon shirts will look like?

4/5

Pathfinder Adventure, Lost Omens, Maps, Rulebook, Starfinder Maps Subscriber
Adam Mogyorodi wrote:
Jeffrey Fox wrote:
Sounds great, now I just need to wait a year to be able to run this. Aw shucks.
Or you could GM 90 more times.

I only need 72 more I think, or 36 running of we be goblins...

By the pace that I run games, I should have 100 games ran in three more years.

The Exchange 5/5

Jeffrey Fox wrote:
Adam Mogyorodi wrote:
Jeffrey Fox wrote:
Sounds great, now I just need to wait a year to be able to run this. Aw shucks.
Or you could GM 90 more times.

I only need 72 more I think, or 36 running of we be goblins...

By the pace that I run games, I should have 100 games ran in three more years.

so, pick up the pace (says the guy with two stars and holding) - I know a guy who got his four stars in 9 months (from his first PFS game PLAYED to his 4th star)

4/5

Pathfinder Adventure, Lost Omens, Maps, Rulebook, Starfinder Maps Subscriber
nosig wrote:
so, pick up the pace (says the guy with two stars and holding) - I know a guy who got his four stars in 9 months (from his first PFS game PLAYED to his 4th star)

I rarely get to play as is...

Seriously though I only get one day a month [sometimes two when we have five Saturdays] to run PFS at the venue I run games at. And it would cost me too much to go to other local venues as I don't drive.

I'll get there eventually.

Paizo Employee 5/5 Developer

When I was a store liaison, one of my selling points for Pathfinder Society was the system's flexibility in accommodating different players' busy schedules; it's no different for GMs. I set personal, star-earning goals that were comfortable for me, and even though I gained stars more quickly than some other GMs, it was and still is a pleasure to hear when another judge hit a milestone.

Thanks for GMing and sharing the game, Jeffrey.

Sovereign Court 5/5

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Card Game, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Jeffrey Fox wrote:
nosig wrote:
so, pick up the pace (says the guy with two stars and holding) - I know a guy who got his four stars in 9 months (from his first PFS game PLAYED to his 4th star)

I rarely get to play as is...

Seriously though I only get one day a month [sometimes two when we have five Saturdays] to run PFS at the venue I run games at. And it would cost me too much to go to other local venues as I don't drive.

I'll get there eventually.

Maybe if you stop holding gamedays on the same days that my grad program decides to eat up my weekends, I can run for you again so you can play.

:p

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
John Compton wrote:

When I was a store liaison, one of my selling points for Pathfinder Society was the system's flexibility in accommodating different players' busy schedules; it's no different for GMs. I set personal, star-earning goals that were comfortable for me, and even though I gained stars more quickly than some other GMs, it was and still is a pleasure to hear when another judge hit a milestone.

Thanks for GMing and sharing the game, Jeffrey.

Now John, you know no one is going to take you seriously without an avatar, get to work. :P

I'm in the same boat as Nosig and the Fox, after hitting my 2nd star life begins to interfere and everything slows down. I have come to the realization though that number of games run pales in comparison to quality of games run. If I can only do 1-2 games a month I just content myself with making them the best games I can possibly do and take joy in my players having fun and looking forward to the next.

Take your time and ENJOY it, it's a game and you should be treating it like that. If you're doing it for a goal it starts sounding like a job.

Grand Lodge

Mathwei ap Niall wrote:


Now John, you know no one is going to take you seriously without an avatar...

+1.

Your credibility on the site will go through the roof once you have a face people can identify you by.

Mike is Generic Decemvirate Member X
Mark is a Mite
Lisa is some South Park character that I dont recognize
Vic is Abadar

People are gonna be saying 'John who?' :P

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Card Game, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Swiftbrook wrote:
Mark Morland wrote:
It's fitting, then, that we hired John to take the torch from me (albeit after several more months of mentorship on my part)

So where are you going Mark and what are you going to be up to? Apparently I missed something!

Also from this blog here you state:

Mark Moreland wrote:
Dragnmoon wrote:

Congrats John!

Quick Question, what is Mark's New position?

Who said anything about me getting a new position? My title remains Developer and I'll continue working on the Pathfinder Society line as I have for the last 2-1/2 years. Having John on board will mean that the campaign will have a wider bandwidth on which to operate, and I'll have the ability to handle some of the other, non-Pathfinder Society responsibilities I have.
Sure sounds like you're doing something new.

From what has been said elsewhere I understand that Mark, in addition to being the lead developer for PFS, is also one of the major developers for the module line. John will be takiong over the PFS stuff in order to allow Mark to give the modules line more attention.

@Seth - Lisa's avatar is Lisa as a South Park character.

Dark Archive

All the staff should trade avatars for a week. It would be utter chaos.

Dark Archive Vendor - Fantasiapelit Tampere

Arya Stark? Is that you?

Grand Lodge 4/5 Venture-Agent, Nevada—Las Vegas aka kinevon

Adam Mogyorodi wrote:
All the staff should trade avatars for a week. It would be utter chaos.

Nah. Everybody should use the same avatar as Kyle Baird for a week. Utter and total chaos.

5/5 5/55/55/5

Rosgakori wrote:
Arya Stark? Is that you?

She hasn't killed you, so probably not...


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Curse you Larry Wilhelm! This scenarios is the creepiest one I've ever seen! I have to prep during lunch since if I do it at night I cant sleep!

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Maps Subscriber

Hmm. time to get the art that Kyle uses as an avatar printed onto thermal fleece for Evan to huddle under when he's prepped the wrong thing at night....

(Ohai Haunting of Hinojai!)

Paizo Employee CEO

Seth Gipson wrote:
Lisa is some South Park character that I dont recognize

That South Park character is me!

No, I wasn't on South Park, but a while back (very early 2000's) there was a South Park character maker where you could create your own South Park character. Almost everyone at Paizo made one of themselves. Somewhere on my computer, I have those still. I'll have to look and maybe have an Auntie Lisa's Storyhour Anniversary Edition 2002 update with all those South Park characters! I decided to use mine as my avatar. It is actually pretty darn accurate.

-Lisa

Sczarni

What a gorgeous piece of artwork that is! I especially love the freckles on her cheeks. My complements to the artist.

4/5

Pathfinder Adventure, Lost Omens, Maps, Rulebook, Starfinder Maps Subscriber
Iammars wrote:
Jeffrey Fox wrote:
nosig wrote:
so, pick up the pace (says the guy with two stars and holding) - I know a guy who got his four stars in 9 months (from his first PFS game PLAYED to his 4th star)

I rarely get to play as is...

Seriously though I only get one day a month [sometimes two when we have five Saturdays] to run PFS at the venue I run games at. And it would cost me too much to go to other local venues as I don't drive.

I'll get there eventually.

Maybe if you stop holding gamedays on the same days that my grad program decides to eat up my weekends, I can run for you again so you can play.

:p

Congrats on the fourth star, just noticed that. Next time Redcap's has a big event I'm going to try and make it again as well so maybe even sooner.


Trinite wrote:
What a gorgeous piece of artwork that is! I especially love the freckles on her cheeks. My complements to the artist.

Question is, who's the artist?

Paizo Employee Developer

Fernanda Suarez

4/5

Jeffrey Fox wrote:
Next time Redcap's has a big event I'm going to try and make it again as well so maybe even sooner.

Soon ...Very Soon Info will come on the site.

Grand Lodge

Fernanda's deviantart is here.
Edit: There's boobies, so NSFW.

Liberty's Edge

Which is what my works internet filter just screamed at me.

'The website is of a pornographic nature', will have to check when I get home.

Thanks for the link though

Silver Crusade 2/5

Bring the demons. The cold iron side of my meteor hammer will be well fed, and the world will be a better place.

Liberty's Edge 5/5 Venture-Lieutenant, Maryland— Baltimore aka Qstor

@june I had fun at the redcap mini con last year!

Mike

1 to 50 of 54 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Organized Play / Pathfinder Society / Paizo Blog: The Demons Cometh All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.