DM Brainiac’s Agents of Edgewatch (COMPLETE!) (Inactive)

Game Master Brainiac

Battle Maps
Loot List
Current Date: 3 Arodus, 4720 AR


1 to 50 of 2,754 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Absalom, the City at the Center of the World, has always drawn travelers from distant lands. Yet this year is different, for it is the year of the Radiant Festival, a celebration of epic proportions held every hundred years to commemorate the failed Radiant Siege of Absalom in 1619 AR. Delegations from across the world congregate at Absalom’s fairgrounds to exhibit their nations’ marvels of magic and masonry. A panoply of performers, merchants, and inventors flood into the city to astound tourists with their art and ingenuity. This year’s grand exhibits include incredible gyroscopic towers from Vudra, a Minkaian kami temple called the Dragonfly Pagoda, a moving castle built by Keleshite engineers, and a terrifyingly massive excavation machine called Graveraker.

While the failed siege by the Whispering Tyrant a year ago set the festival behind schedule and threatened to undo all the hard work of the Festivals Committee, Tar-Baphon’s defeat has given Absalomians all the more reason to celebrate, and the fair is poised to open to great fanfare even with many of the exhibits only half-completed. Already the city groans under the pressure of thousands of tourists, with locals simultaneously thrilled at the flow of trade and despairing at the overcrowding.

To alleviate the latter, Absalom’s leaders adopted an ambitious plan. The prominent Absalomian architect Blune Bandersworth, with the support of Grand Council member and City Planner Olansa Terimor, propositioned the Grand Council and bid for a contract to magically transform the Precipice Quarter—a district all but destroyed in an earthquake 22 years ago—into the heart of the 4720 AR Radiant Festival. The enthusiasm of Acting Primarch Wynsal Starborn, who since taking his station has wanted to resurrect the Precipice Quarter, sealed the deal for the site of this century’s grand fair.

The Radiant Festival has already brought gold and tourists to the city like never before, but with such opportunity comes danger. Unable to completely clear the Precipice Quarter of monstrous threats before the opening-day festivities, festival officials have simply cordoned off some parts of the district. Meanwhile, lawbreakers of all sorts see potential gain in the chaos.

To help keep the peace, Absalom’s leaders have established a new division of guards to patrol the Precipice Quarter during the fair and thereafter— the Edgewatch. The Edgewatch is a crucial part of Absalom’s plan for hosting the Radiant Festival in the still-perilous Precipice Quarter, but as with every aspect of the fair, the city has had to cut corners in order to fund the festival committee’s overly ambitious plans. In order to fill out the Edgewatch’s ranks, the Grand Council has adopted an unusual solution: for the duration of the festival, Edgewatch guards will operate as the police version of privateers.

Each guard theoretically receives a modest stipend, but in practice only the top brass see any real compensation; the rank-and-file watch members’ wages are automatically garnished by the city to pay for food, training, uniforms, and lodging in the station’s barracks (regardless of whether the officers actually choose to stay there). The guards’ only actual means of earning liquid cash is by requisitioning possessions and money from any criminals they catch breaking major laws—no trial required. All findings are to be meticulously catalogued so as to prevent abuse of power, and any confiscated goods with identifiable owners must be returned. Absalom’s Grand Council insists that once the festival is over it will revise the budget and convert the Edgewatch to a normal pay structure. In the meantime, the public tolerates the guards’ summary justice, preferring it to the anarchy of an under-policed city.

You are the newest recruits to this fledgling police force. You have been outfitted with your uniforms and gear, and all assigned to the same patrol unit. It is time to rise to the occasion. It is time to become...

Agents of Edgewatch

Part 1: Devil at the Dreaming Palace
27 Sarenith, 4720 AR

The Edgewatch operates from a newly constructed precinct headquarters near the center of the Precipice Quarter under the command of an infamous veteran of justice, Lieutenant Grospek Lavarsus. The station is a cramped and crowded affair, with a desk-packed main workroom and a few private offices and interrogation cells. Most of the younger guards live in an attached barracks, while guards with their own lodgings and families sleep elsewhere. A small cafeteria and a heavily guarded armory and evidence locker round out the installation.

You have just been summoned to the lieutenant’s office for your first briefing. As you walk toward the office, tyou no doubt notice some of the unit’s established members giving you sympathetic looks. Lieutenant Lavarsus is a large human man with curly, graying blond hair. He has a broad belly, a gilded nightstick slung in his belt, and an unlit cigar clamped in his teeth.

The lieutenant rises from behind his desk, glaring out from beneath brooding brows as he silently studies his new agents as you stand at attention. After a long moment, he shakes his head, muttering “unbelievable.” as he pulls his well-chewed cigar from his mouth and gestures disdainfully. “This year’s Radiant Festival is the most ambitious peacetime undertaking the city’s seen. The Edgewatch is responsible for the safety of thousands. I told the council I needed the best of the best. And instead they send me you—a bunch of rookies so green you’ve practically got gills. Did you pin those badges on yourself, or did Sergeant Ollo have to do it for you?” He sighs and sits.

“Abadar only knows what sin I committed to deserve you. But we work with what we’re given. You do what you’re told, learn from the veterans, and maybe you’ll come out of this proper guards. But if I catch you shirking work or tarnishing the reputation of this precinct, I’ll bounce you out of here so hard you’ll land in Absalom Harbor. Clear?” He doesn’t wait for an answer, instead snatching up a scrap of paper from his desk and holding it out. “Here’s your first assignment. A bunch of dung-heeled wannabe adventurers are smashing up the Tipsy Tengu. Clean it up—book ’em or fine ’em, just don’t kill anyone.” He shuffles through some more papers on his desk before looking up pointedly. “Well? You want me to hold your hand on the way there? Get going. Dismissed.”


RETIRED: after forty years of forensic investigation for the Starwatch.

"I'm a doctor, not a flatfoot." The tall man with spectacles on says disdainfully. His uniform coat has a high collar and white edging above and beyond the normal and the more observant among you will notice that there is the unmistakable sight of dried blood encrusted under his finger nails. His disdain doesn't stop him from leaving the room as ordered however and once he makes it to the bullpen he sighs, a very world-weary sound, and looks to the rest of the patrol.

"So, does anyone know this tavern? I've not been here long."


F NG Imperial Sorceress 17| RETIRED | Completed AoE adventure path living out her life much more happily now it is over.

Dora indignantly puffs out her chest when he dismisses her ability as a guard but grins greenly when given a proper assignment. She is a very young woman, she almost looks too young to be part of this task-force.

"Thank you, Lieutenant, we will do this city proud!"

She eagerly turns and leaves the room to follow the other Agents.

"I have not visited all areas of Absalom myself Doctor, and I am unfamiliar with this Tipsy Tengu however there are many ways in which to find its location efficiently. Unless one of our other fine Agents have knowledge of this Inn?"

"By the way, you can call me Dora, to make this new job easier." She offers her hand confidently.


RETIRED: after forty years of forensic investigation for the Starwatch.

"Doctor Maturin." The man replies, returning Dora's handshake. His skin is rather cold. "I am the surgeon and forensic examiner for this watch, but it appears that it is, how do you say "all hands on deck" I seem to be on patrol with the rest of you."

The doctor doesn't seem very happy about this. With his tall frame, neat appearance and spectacles he doesn't seem much like a watch officer, more like a clerk or other form of civil servant.


Portrait Human Bard 17 | HP: 212/212 |AC 37 | F: +25, R: +25, W: +29| Perception +27 | Init: +29| Speed: 25' | Focus: 3| Hero: 3

Leaning against the wall in the rear of the group is a tall female woman in her mid twenties. Her ears are hidden behind shoulder length, dark brown hair that is pulled back loosely into a pony tail. Due to her height, she is often mistaken for half-elf, but she is in fact one hundred percent human. Amber eyes bring color towards and otherwise pale-skinned body that is only accepted by dark red coloring on her lips. The only other notable feature is a recent wound that has scarred that runs across the right side of her face, from under her eye all the way back to her ear.

A golden key hangs from a golden chain that drapes down her chest, past her breasts and hangs near her upper torso. A small X tattoo is below her right eye and a smirk is ever-present on her lips through the briefing.

Her black, grey and red studded leather armor creaks as she pushes off the wall as she leans forward to speak. With a flick of her wrist, she motions a gloved hand across her body and flicks away the concern. "Not a problem, L-T. We'll take care of it, we've got it covered, not another concern. Minimal death, we're on it."

Walking out, she joins the others and says "Tipsy Tengu? Had a drink there three nights back. Or maybe it was four? Either way, not a problem."

Turning to Dora, she nods and says "Hey Dora, I'm Dani."


Male

A tall Chellish man with a stern look salutes. As you all file out he says, "I look forward to working with you all. I"m Eddison."

He wears his police coat, pressed and clean, and carries two night sticks in loops on his belt.


F NG Imperial Sorceress 17| RETIRED | Completed AoE adventure path living out her life much more happily now it is over.

"Eddison, Dani, its lovely to meet you both," she offers her hand to them in succession. "I look forward to the opportunity to work together at such an important time." She smiles tentatively.

"Do we have everything we need to take with us to this Tipsy Tengu? If so, I think we should get a rush on if we are to stop these wannabe adventurers!" she says trying to imitate the lieutenant.


The Tipsy Tengu is a new mid-tier tavern in the Precipice Quarter built to cater to foreign officials and dignitaries during the daylight hours and opening its doors to more common visitors in the evening. The interior of the Tipsy Tengu is a raucous mess of tipped-over chairs and spilled drinks. A motley group of drunken adventurers is the clear cause of the chaos, including a dwarven bruiser wearing a horned helmet, a sloppy elf in robes, an armored human worshipper of Cayden Cailean, and a leather-clad halfling.

“Ah, there you are!” A well-dressed half-elf man with an ornate cane and bold blue eyes leaps to his feet from where he was seated next to the door. “The city’s finest, come to deliver us from churls and belligerents!” He lowers his voice conspiratorially and adds, “Honestly, I’d never allow their sort into my hotel, but poor Belberry thought they’d add flavor, and they certainly have.” He sticks out his hand to shake. “Hendrid Pratchett, proprietor of the Dreaming Palace. This is my associate, Ralso.” He nods to a hard-looking half-orc woman. “We thought we’d come down and enjoy a quiet night of dinner and drinks before the opening-day festivities tomorrow. So much for rest and relaxation, though, eh?” A cup suddenly smashes the man in the face as one of the adventurers howls with laughter. He clutches his bleeding nose and steps aside. “Right then. I’ll let you be about it.”

Hendrid and Ralso duck out of the tavern as the rowdy adventurers turn towards you. "What's this? Oh, bartender, this is a party foul!" cries the Caydenite. "Who calls the guards on celebrating heroes? We are the Splendid Spelunkers--"

"I thought we decided on the Burning Banshees!" the halfling shouts.

"We never did settle on the name, did we? Well, we agreed on alliteration at least," the armored man says with a shrug. "Anyway, we're awesome, and we're having fun, so leave us be!"

"Or are ya lookin' fer a fight?" the dwarf asks belligerently. "Cause if so, I'll show ya me strength!"

The elf slumps at the bar, sobbing loudly into her mug of ale.


F NG Imperial Sorceress 17| RETIRED | Completed AoE adventure path living out her life much more happily now it is over.

"Nice to meet you, Mr Pratchett, Mrs Ralso - we will jump right to it!" she says just as they pass to leave the tavern.

She takes a few steps further to the side away from the revellers before saying.

"If you'd so politely choose the correct option and leave the tavern to make its business then we would very much appreciate it" she says, optimistically.

diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22


RETIRED: after forty years of forensic investigation for the Starwatch.

Dr Maturin meanwhile stands just inside the doorway and casts an appraising eye across the chaos.

"Elf, no threat. Halfling, potentially dangerous to the kneecaps. Dwarf, too slow. Human... severely intoxicated, but Caydenite. Not to be underestimated."

His long practise means that he doesn't groan, wince or otherwise react when Dora marches in like the greenest of recruits, but his eyebrows do rise when a degree of silence and what appears to almost be embarrassment greets her pronunciation.

"I didn't think that would work." He murmurs to Eddison


Portrait Human Bard 17 | HP: 212/212 |AC 37 | F: +25, R: +25, W: +29| Perception +27 | Init: +29| Speed: 25' | Focus: 3| Hero: 3
Theodora 'Dora' Cassia Morilla wrote:
"Do we have everything we need to take with us to this Tipsy Tengu?"

Dani nods, taking Dora's hand and giving it a very loose shake. "I'm sure we do, let's be off before the L-T gives us a worse assignment."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26

Dani looks over at Jack witha smirk and mutters "Aw Doc, what's with the sourpuss already. Given the women a chance, eh?"

Leaving Jack, she moves alongside of Dora and proclaims with open arms and a smile "You may be celebrating your victories, but you're also destroying this fine establishment. I'm afraid it is time to conclude your presence here and take your celebrations elsewhere."


"Ah, yes, my apologies!" the Caydenite says, grinning at Dani. "While my companions are dealing with their own various insecurities, I'm just getting plastered on general principle. Happy to take the party elsewhere, though, officer, if you can convince the rest of the Splendid Spelunkers--"

"Burning Banshees!" insists the halfling.

"--whatever our name is," the cleric finishes. "Well, my name is Antaro Boldblade. Perhaps I could buy you a drink some time?"

Meanwhile, Dora approaches the dwarf, who glares up at her. "Bah! Look at ya, hiding behind a badge cause ya cna't hack it in a fair fight! I could take ya if I wanted to, ya know! Bolar of Stonemoor doesn't shy away from any challenge!"

"Too bad you couldn't kill anything in the dungeon!" the halfling calls to their companion. "Maybe then Miriel's little bird might not have gotten gacked!"

This elicits a fresh round of sobs from the elf. "Oh, Runkles! You were the best raven ever!" she cries.

"Bah!" Bolar repeats, but he starts heading towards the exit, grumbling all the way.

Still need to convince the elf and the halfling.


F NG Imperial Sorceress 17| RETIRED | Completed AoE adventure path living out her life much more happily now it is over.

Dora tries hard not to look taken aback by the Dwarf's reaction but stands her ground and is very relieved when he follows his companion out of the tavern. She lets out a large sigh, not realising that she was holding her breath all along.

She walks a couple of steps closer to the Halfling and attempts a smile.

"Burning Banshees -thats a really great name! I look forward to hearing about your adventures some time. Now, if you wouldn't mind moving along elsewhere with your friends that would be really helpful. There are many fantastic places in town to find another drink."

diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8

Her nerves get the better of her and she visibly swallows deeply, realising just how ridiculous she sounds. "First day on the job, and I had to go barrelling in headfirst. I should've left it to those other guys."

hero point re-roll: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16


The hooded halfling sizes Dora up, and while a look of anger crosses their features for a tense moment, it quickly disappears. "Alright, alright. No problem, officer, no problem. Let me just return this gentleman's coin purse and I'll be on my way."

The halfling slips a pouch of silver back into the pocket of the confused patron beside them and moves towards the door. That just leaves the distraught elven woman to deal with...


RETIRED: after forty years of forensic investigation for the Starwatch.

Seeing no-one else dealing with the elven drunk the Doctor sighs and moves across the destroyed common room and pulls the sturdiest looking stool over next to the elf.

He commandeers the elf's glass and sniffs it. Ale, no wonder this spindly thing is drunk. She doesn't have the body mass to handle dwarven spirits.

"Do you want to tell me about Runkles?" He asks, attempting to distract the elf from her missing alcohol. Besides, maybe once she's talked about it she'll leave. "Talking about grief makes it easier to bear. I say this as a doctor, but you can call me Jack."

I don't have Diplomacy in the least but I could try lying to her and being charming in the process? Or maybe she doesn't have a written backstory and the GM will let me win this one so he doesn't have to make one up on the spot!

Deception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15


”Oh, I loved Runkles so!” Miriel sighs. ”Raised him from a hatchling. He was so smart. So cute! His darling little feet, and his beak! Such a lovely beak!”

The elf pours her heart out to Jack, who does a good job pretending to care. She tells him more than he ever wanted to know about Runkles, right up to the point where a giant frog ate him.

”May he find peace in the next life,” Miriel finishes with a sniffle. Having worked through some of her grief, she thanks Jack for listening and moves to join her companions leaving the tavern.

Once the adventurers have been dealt with, the owner, Belberry Breckinridge, thanks you and urges you to stay or return for drinks—free of charge—anytime.


F NG Imperial Sorceress 17| RETIRED | Completed AoE adventure path living out her life much more happily now it is over.

"Well, that went well," ventures Dora. "I'm sure that we will find them wreaking havoc in another inn not too shortly."

"Im presuming we head back to the Lieutenant to report in now?" She looks around questioningly at her new colleagues.


RETIRED: after forty years of forensic investigation for the Starwatch.

The Doctor, who never wants to see a raven again in his life, nods. "Yes, no doubt he will have more exciting tasks for us to accomplish. You did well today Dora, I've never seen anyone talk down a crowded tavern so efficiently. You should be the one to make the report."


F NG Imperial Sorceress 17| RETIRED | Completed AoE adventure path living out her life much more happily now it is over.

"I don't think I could've done it without Dani here." She blushes and retreats a step back.


Lieutenant Lavarsus betrays no emotion as you make your report. ”Hmph. An adequate performance for your first outing. You’re clear for the rest of the night. Report back to the duty board in the morning.”

***

Though the fair has been gathering steam for months, with many exhibitors setting up early, this is the Radiant Festival’s first official day, and the streets outside Edgewatch Headquarters teem with people. Inside the precinct, taciturn dwarven Sergeant Moldun Ollo stands before the Edgewatch duty board—an oversized map of the Precipice Quarter tacked to a large plank of wood facing the headquarters’ main floor. ”Ah, there you are, recruits. Lieutenant Lavarsus has asked me to assign you your patrol route for the day.”

Ollo gives you a roaming route that takes you all across the district, the better to familiarize yourselves with the various neighborhoods and beats. Despite the early hour, there are already two known issues conveniently positioned at opposite ends of the circuit: a heated confrontation between two rival shop owners and “some sort of domestic dispute” in a wizard’s workshop. You can choose to start with either end of the route, walking through the district either clockwise or counterclockwise.


F NG Imperial Sorceress 17| RETIRED | Completed AoE adventure path living out her life much more happily now it is over.

That night, Dora tried to settle into the barracks, however she still was finding it difficult to sleep due to the lack of comfort compared to her uncle's house. She gave up on sleep in the early hours of the morning and settled into a good book instead.

---------------
"Thank you Sergeant, we will aim to solve these disputes peacefully and amicably as we did last night." She says, if a little bleary-eyed.

Turning to her colleagues, Dora suggests "I think that starting with the heated confrontation would be the most logical plan before it has a chance of heating up any further. We could decide which way to take the route from there?"


RETIRED: after forty years of forensic investigation for the Starwatch.

The Doctor catches up on his paperwork and spends a couple of hours dissecting a hand with a curious malformation of the ligaments before leaving for the night and taking in a meal at a nearby chop-house.

-------------------
"Your logic seems impeccable Dora." He replies to the enthusiastic young woman's suggestion. "Lead on."


Portrait Human Bard 17 | HP: 212/212 |AC 37 | F: +25, R: +25, W: +29| Perception +27 | Init: +29| Speed: 25' | Focus: 3| Hero: 3
Theodora 'Dora' Cassia Morilla wrote:
"I don't think I could've done it without Dani here." She blushes and retreats a step back.

Dani smirks, "Oh please, you should have seen the way they all reacted when you spoke. It's almost as if your presence alone made them reconsider their actions. I was just following your lead." she says, trying to further boost Dora up.

Once the Lavarsus gives the night off, Dani salutes and says "Understood." before walking with the others. "Adequate? It was amazing if you ask me." she says once clear of their superior.

She nods to the dwarven seargeant and takes their orders without further questioning. Once Dora proposes a plan, she nods as well. "I think that is a sound plan, Dora. Lets put some of that honeytongue to work again today, hmmm?" she says with a wink.


You head out into the Precipice District, heading for the confrontation first. Smoke and profanities rise up from a cluster of food stalls near a small park overlooking Absalom Harbor. The commotion centers on two particularly decrepit booths positioned across from each other, each little more than piles of haphazardly nailed boards, their peripheries scorched and smoldering. Suddenly a clay pot flies across the intervening space, smashing against one of the scorched stalls and splattering flaming oil across several others.

The owners of the two food stands, Everything Fried and Pelmo’s Pickle Hut, seem to be brawling over the right to sell their dubious delicacies here. "Go away, Pelmo! This fair only big enough for one goblin!” cries the owner of the first stand. ”May a horse sit on you, Grunka!” shrieks the pickle proprietor.

Everything Fried is packed with barrels of highly flammable cooking oil... and the place is currently on fire.

Perception DC 15:
Jostling the burning barrels too hard could cause them to rupture and explode. You will have to smother the flames carefully (a DC 20 Survival check), and water won’t work—it will just spread the oil around.


Portrait Human Bard 17 | HP: 212/212 |AC 37 | F: +25, R: +25, W: +29| Perception +27 | Init: +29| Speed: 25' | Focus: 3| Hero: 3

While they walk, Dani strikes up some small talk. "So. You folks transferred in from whereabouts? Doc said he wasn't from here? How about you Dora?"

"Looks like there could be a an explosion if those barrels get hit to hard. I'll try to calm these two, can you take care of the flames?"

"Alllright! Break it up, break it up!" Dani shouts with as much authority as she can muster.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26


F NG Imperial Sorceress 17| RETIRED | Completed AoE adventure path living out her life much more happily now it is over.

Happy to engage in small talk, she walks next to Dani on the first section of the route.
"Well, honestly, I haven't transferred from anywhere. I'm presuming you guessed I'm fairly new to this last night? Yesterday was my first day on the job. I'm not entirely sure how I managed to land this role on my first day. They must be stretched thin. What about you?"

She flashes a grin at Dani, pleased to see someone is being so welcoming.
------------------------

perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11 Doh'

"Absolutely, I'll try to get the civilians to help too."
"Water! We need Water!" She shouts loudly to any and all around, looking for any suitable vessel and source of water.


RETIRED: after forty years of forensic investigation for the Starwatch.

"I was previously in a private practise." The Doctor offers, "Working for the guard is something of a change but life would be boring without a little variety and I haven't had much cause to practice my hobby of forensic medicine for some time now."

Deception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17

-------------------------------------

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28

"No! No we don't!" Jack yells immediately after Dora. "That will just spread the oil around. We need soil and sand to smother the flames or we have to move the barrels - carefully!"


F NG Imperial Sorceress 17| RETIRED | Completed AoE adventure path living out her life much more happily now it is over.

Dora quickly shifts, trusting Dr Jack's response as he clearly has a lot of experience.

"Smother the flames! Sand! Soil! Quickly!"

She then goes to help Jack attempt to carefully move the barrels as long as the flames are not too close.


Grunka grins as Dani approaches. ”Aha! See, the guards have come now. They know Everything Fried best goblin food! Because we fry everything! Want to try, officer?”

“Yeah, you fry everything, even pickles,” Pelmo says. ”But I AM PICKLE MAN! You steal pickle business from me!”

You'll have to make another check to influence Pelmo.

Meanwhile, the rest of you scramble to put out the flames before it is too late!

It’s a DC 20 Survival check to do so. Each of you can make three attempts before boom.


RETIRED: after forty years of forensic investigation for the Starwatch.

Survival: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14
Survival: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4
Survival: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8

This is not the sort of thing Doctor Maturin signed on to the guard for!


F NG Imperial Sorceress 17| RETIRED | Completed AoE adventure path living out her life much more happily now it is over.

Rushing to support the Doctor as he is clearly struggling under the weight of the barrels. Dora lends both hands and remembers the handbook she read before starting that part-time library volunteer role about bending her knees, not her back!

Survival: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (18) + 0 = 18
Survival: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (4) + 0 = 4
Survival: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (16) + 0 = 16


Portrait Human Bard 17 | HP: 212/212 |AC 37 | F: +25, R: +25, W: +29| Perception +27 | Init: +29| Speed: 25' | Focus: 3| Hero: 3

Diplomacy - Pelmo: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20

"Look, there is a fire and there are things clearly more important than the continued bickering right now. Cut it out and we can work it out later, alright?"

She turns to to smother the fire but doesn't do much of anything.

Survivallol: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
Survivallol: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14

"Where is that other member of our group! Is he still out front eating?!" she yells, looking around.


M Human Champion of The Godclaw 1 | AC:15 | HP: 12/20 | Fort +7 Ref +5 | Will +5 | Perception: +3 Champion 1

Eddison comes around the corner and notices the fire for the first time! He {A}moves over to the fire and tries to put it out!

Survival: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15
Survival: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6


”Okay, okay, I just stand back and watch cool explosion!” Pelmo says with a smirk.

Edison Survival: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

Despite your best efforts, your frantic attempts to put out the fire end in failure. The barrels explode in a mighty fireball that consumes Grunka’s stall—and burns all of you!

Explosion!: 3d6 + 8 ⇒ (1, 2, 3) + 8 = 14

”Ooh! That is cool explosion!” Grunka says, seemingly unfazed by her stall’s destruction.

Everybody takes 14 fire damage (basic Reflex DC 20).


RETIRED: after forty years of forensic investigation for the Starwatch.

Ref: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21

Jack, seeing the writing on the proverbial wall, ducks out of the way quickly enough to avoid much of the damage.


F NG Imperial Sorceress 17| RETIRED | Completed AoE adventure path living out her life much more happily now it is over.

Reflex save: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14

Dora tries to dive out of the way but, not being used to such fast-moving actions fails and the burst of flames engulfs her as she collapses to the floor heavily singed and smouldering.

1/15 HP


M Human Champion of The Godclaw 1 | AC:15 | HP: 12/20 | Fort +7 Ref +5 | Will +5 | Perception: +3 Champion 1

Ref v 20: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7

Edison curses has his uniform smolders, "THIS is what I get for tardiness!"


"Well, only one goblin food vendor at fair now!" Pelmo says. "Want to work at Pickle Hut?"

"Okay. I teach you how to really fry pickle!" Grunka says. The two goblins walk off, heedless of your injuries. Soon enough, the real firefighters arrive to extinguish the flames.


Portrait Human Bard 17 | HP: 212/212 |AC 37 | F: +25, R: +25, W: +29| Perception +27 | Init: +29| Speed: 25' | Focus: 3| Hero: 3

Reflex: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18

Dani fails to avoid the explosion just like everyone else and is scorched badly. She slowly climbs to her feet and pats out the burns and groans, "Doc, can you patch me up?"


F NG Imperial Sorceress 17| RETIRED | Completed AoE adventure path living out her life much more happily now it is over.

Dora sits up and winces. Looking at the scene around her, she realises she doesn't need to worry about the two goblins making it any worse.

"Me too please, Dr Maturin. If burns are something you can help with?." She grimaces as she shifts and parts of her clothes rub on her burns.

Further checking around her, she realises that Eddison hasn't moved. Suddenly forgetting about her own injuries she rushes over to Eddison.

"Doctor, over here! Eddison isn't moving!"


RETIRED: after forty years of forensic investigation for the Starwatch.

The Doctor moves swiftly into triage and ignores Dani as she is not critical, yet.

Medicine, Edisson, DC16: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21

With the man stablised and not currently dying he turns to the conscious.

Medicine, Dora, DC15: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26 Healing: 4d8 + 1 ⇒ (7, 1, 8, 7) + 1 = 24
Medicine, Dani, DC15: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21 Healing: 2d8 + 1 ⇒ (1, 4) + 1 = 6
Medicine, Edisson, DC15: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10

He is able to patch up both women to some degree but Edisson remains stubbornly unconscious for the entire half hours to Doctor is working.

30 minutes to make all the checks. Everyone is immune to my healing for an hour.


F NG Imperial Sorceress 17| RETIRED | Completed AoE adventure path living out her life much more happily now it is over.

Dora winces and holds her breath, trying hard not to make a noise as Jack tends to her wounds. "Doctor, thank you so much. I am in your debt."

"We need to get Eddison to the infirmary." She says looking around, then realises that they have only just started their patrol.

She looks at Dani and Jack, attempting to use their apparent experience in the Watch.
"But...I'm presuming we are not allowed to abandon our patrol either?"


Medicine: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 152d8 ⇒ (8, 1) = 9

Seeing Edison still unconscious, one of the firefighters comes over to provide some medical attention and rouse the champion.

Edison heals 9 HP.

You're still pretty banged up but you have enough strength to continue your patrol. You head past Snowdew Pond and Coral Beach as you make your way counterclockwise through the district. Soon, you reach Silver Lawn, where many of the Radiant Festival's greatest exhibits are on display. A crowd of fairgoers stands watching in awe as, just beyond a line of guard ropes, a stone castle—complete with battlements and domed towers—marches along a wide, elliptical stone track. Dozens of thick mechanical legs support its bulk, and Keleshite nobles in fine dresses and coats wave from atop its walls.

Suddenly, a commotion erupts from the crowd. A woman races out holding a dagger and a belt pouch. Behind her, a red-faced man points and yells, “Thief! Stop her!”

The agents can move to cut off her escape by succeeding at a DC 15 Acrobatics or Athletics check. If all the characters fail, they can attempt additional checks on subsequent rounds, adding 2 to the DC each time to represent Rell’s lead.


M Human Champion of The Godclaw 1 | AC:15 | HP: 12/20 | Fort +7 Ref +5 | Will +5 | Perception: +3 Champion 1

Edison, not to be caught unaware a second time, steps cooly aside kicking the thief's shin to stop her escape!

{A}TRIP!: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22

Despite the commotion, Edison speaks calmly and evenly, "Do not get up. Do not try to flee. Do not take aggressive action. You are being detained for questioning. Do you understand?"


The thief is sent sprawling as Edison looms over her. "Get away!" she shrieks, brandishing her dagger!

Initiative:
Dani: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15
Dr. Jack: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10
Edison: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22
Theodora: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
Larigold: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12

Everybody may act!


M Human Champion of The Godclaw 1 | AC:15 | HP: 12/20 | Fort +7 Ref +5 | Will +5 | Perception: +3 Champion 1

"Tut tut, dear. You had been warned."

Edison proceeds to thump her with his Monkey's Paws.

{A}THUMP!: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 141d6 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7
{A}THUMP!: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 191d6 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10
{A}THUMP!: 1d20 - 3 ⇒ (13) - 3 = 101d6 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10


Portrait Human Bard 17 | HP: 212/212 |AC 37 | F: +25, R: +25, W: +29| Perception +27 | Init: +29| Speed: 25' | Focus: 3| Hero: 3

Dani holds out her hand to Jack for assistance only to see him run right by her. Confused, she takes her feet to see him attending to the unconscious Edison first. After everyone is back on their feet, she thanks them for their assistance.

"In retrospect, I suppose we should have focused on the fire rather than calming the two squabblers. My apologies for the failed prioritization. I'm glad no one died." she looks at Edison out of the corner of her eye while she says the last bit.

--------

When the fight breaks out, it reminds Dani of a story she once heard about a pickpocket. She slips her violin into her hand and draws back the bow. She stares at the thief and says "I'm going to sing a song, why don't you stand right there and be a good one and listen? Hmmm?" Cast Daze, DC17.

She then begins to play her song, drawing the bow across the strings. Inspire Courage is up. You and all allies in the area gain a +1 status bonus to attack rolls, damage rolls, and saves against fear effects.


F NG Imperial Sorceress 17| RETIRED | Completed AoE adventure path living out her life much more happily now it is over.

Dora frowns at the situation in front of her as this had proceeded to get more violent than she would like.

Wanting the woman to be incapacitated so that everybody involved in the situation does not get hurt further, she decides on Magic Missile.

{A}Magic Missile: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
{A}Magic Missile: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

She then takes a few steps to the side to aim to give a partial barrier to the crowd and the current situation. "Everyone get back please!" she says with a fairly firm tone.


Jack Stratagem: 1d20 ⇒ 16
Strike: 16 + 6 = 22
Damage: 2d6 + 1 ⇒ (2, 1) + 1 = 4

Edison lands a good hit on the thief before Dani and Dora assault her with magic. Dr. Jack devises a clever stratagem, that being whapping the woman on the head with his sword cane. It is a good stratagem.

"Alright, alright! I surrender!" the woman cries, putting an end to the brief conflict.

In addition the man's stolen belt pouch, the thief has 22 gp worth of stolen coins in several different pouches and purses. Since there’s no way to know who the gold belongs to, the agents can requisition the money with a clean conscience, along with the woman's own weapons and armor.

She has a dagger, sling with 10 bullets, and studded leather armor.


M Human Champion of The Godclaw 1 | AC:15 | HP: 12/20 | Fort +7 Ref +5 | Will +5 | Perception: +3 Champion 1

Edison looks disdainfully at the woman, "Once upon a time we'd cut your hand off for thievery. As it is, you'll get a night in the stocks."

After taking stock of the thief's belongings, "You'll also be fined 22 gold pieces, plus armor and weaponry. Crime doesn't pay, but criminals do."

1 to 50 of 2,754 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Brainiac’s Agents of Edgewatch All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.