[PFS2] GM Steinkrug's Unforgiving Fire (Quest #2) (Inactive)

Game Master steinkrug

Maps and Slides


1 to 50 of 148 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>

Open for dotting.


The island nation of Jalmeray lies in the Obari Ocean to the southwest of Osirion where some of you recently adventured. You have arrived in the many-tiered pagoda city of Niswan, the capital. Genies and elemental beings are a regular presence here, remaining from the ancient days of the nation, and signs of their presence are clear as you travel the streets of Niswan: lightning that crackles in the eyes of some passersby, a street mural of a marid crushing battleships under massive waves, and looming, multi-tiered pagodas that seem custom-built for over-sized creatures.

You've been invited to Niswan's Pathfinder Lodge by Venture-Captain Rashmivati Melipdra.

You're welcome to take an opportunity to do some RP before entering the Lodge. When you do enter, you're told by a Society member that Melipdra is in the artifact vault and are directed to it.

Inside the artifact vault of the lodge, the heavy brass door that protected the entrance lies charred and smoking in a folded heap, as if blown from its hinges by an explosion.

The floor of the large, vaulted chamber is covered with debris not unlike the aftermath of an earthquake; broken and overturned shelves, daises, and display cases, as well as scattered sculptures, paintings, and talismans litter the floor. A handful of Society scribes carefully clean up the mess, sorting through relics while recording observations on scrolls of parchment. Amid them, Venture-Captain Rashmivati Melipdra, a husky, middle-aged Vudrani woman with broad shoulders, kneels down to pick up the shards of a shattered glass obelisk.

Picture of Melipdra on the second slide. She will notice you momentarily, but you're free to approach her or take other actions first.

Vigilant Seal

LN (Male) Human (Skilled) Cleric of Abadar level 1| HP 17/17 | AC 18/19(shield) | F +6 R +6 W +9 | Perc(T) +7 | Stealth(U) +3 | speed 25| spell DC 17| focus 1/1| spells 1st 2/2 | Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: none

After the last debacle Land arrives early, he heans against the wall in some shade the key around his neck glowing with a soft gold light.

Verdant Wheel

NG Male Half-Orc Sorcerer 1 | HP 16/16 | AC 13 | F +5, R +3, W +5 | Perc +3 | Hero Points 1/3 |

Kazikli affords all present a curt greeting, but does look a touch more animated than usual. "The path to victory favors those who walk, it seems," he says. "Now that I'm here, I may learn all the more about the Elemental Planes. But that will come after whatever the Society has in mind for us."

Upon seeing the destruction, the half-orc's axe is in his hand almost instantly. But he replaces it when he sees nothing in need of a fight. Turning to Venture-Captain Melipdra, he asks, "What has happened here? Do you need our assistance?"

Vigilant Seal

2 people marked this as a favorite.
N Female Elf (Cavern) Rogue 2 | HP 22/22 | AC 19/21 (Nimble Dodge reaction), +1 vs. traps | F +4 R +10 W +8 (+1 vs. traps)| Perc(E) +8/+9 vs. traps, Darkvision | Stealth(T) +8, Trap Finder | Spd 30 | Hero Points: 1 | Active Conditions: none

Outside the Lodge, Lusinel chatters animatedly. "Why, it's the old crew from Osirion back together again. Well, almost. I see our fortune-telling bard has been replaced by a more scholarly sort!" She sketches an elaborate formal bow in the style of the Taldan court to that worthy individual, and grins. "Lusinel of Absalom, security consultant, my dear sir. Pleasure to make your acquaintance."

"It's been months since our little jaunt in the desert, yet it feels like only two weeks. How is everyone?" She yawns involuntarily, and apologizes. "Sorry! Long journey - I've just arrived here from a most interesting mission in the Forest of Spirits in Tian Xia."

She turns her head slightly to address the half-orc warrior. "Would have been quite up your alley, Barb."

"Speaking of spirits..." She fishes a small item from her pack. "Anyone fancy a souvenir bottle of rice wine from Minkai? Koruk, you're always thirsty. It might be a tad less strongly-flavored than what you're used to, mind." If Koruk expresses any sort of interest She flips it through the air to him.

"There's a very healthy tourist economy there," she adds, passing out tiny carved figurines of anthropomorphic animals emblazoned with A gift from Minkai. "Surprising that I didn't see more of your brethren there, actually." This last remark is directed at the cleric of Abadar leaning against the wall.

"There, that's the last of them. I've got space for new souvenirs, now! This is a fascinating country, from what little I've seen so far." With mock seriousness, she says to Kazikli, "Perhaps here, with the ubiquitous influence of geniekind, you might find others who share your passion for the difficult art of playing the flute using Elemental Toss."

-----

In the Lodge, Lusinel examines the wreckage with a professional air, tut-tutting at the state of the heavy door. "Such crude methods," she sighs. "Such needless destruction of property."

Envoy's Alliance

Male Dwarf (Death Warden) Ranger 1 HP 22/22 | AC 18 | F +7 R +9 W +6 | Perc(E) +8, Darkvision | Stealth(T) +7 | Spd 20 | Hero Points: 1 | Active Conditions: none

On his arrival Koruk just nods at everyone curtly.
"Ah, it's always good to know the people you'll work with on a mission are capable. Except for the new one, we'll have to see about you, won't we?"
When Lusinel offers Koruk the rice wine, he just makes grabbing motions in the air and nods with the enthusiasm of a little child about to be handed some candy. After catching the bottle, taking a swig and nodding appreciatively, he winks at Lusinel and says"Lusinel, I just decided that you are my favorite Pathfinder!"

Inside the vault he looks around for clues immediately.

Envoy's Alliance

2 people marked this as a favorite.
LG (male) human (Taldan) Wizard 1| HP 16/16 | AC 15 (16 with Mage Armor)| F +5 R +5 W +6 | Perc(T) +4 | Stealth(T) +5 | speed 25| Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: none

An abundance of caution brought Feldspar to the entrance of the Lodge early, but he waits for the bulk of the expected group to arrive before even considering entering.

Lusinel's greeting seems to startle him, and he returns her bow with one that is studied, but unpracticed, and during which he obviously has no idea what he should do with the staff he carries.

"Feldspar of Oppara. Stu-" he stops in the middle of the word 'student' "Wizard." He pauses as a soft 'Mrrp.' sound comes from the partially unfastened leather pack on his back. "Newly minted."

Koruk he appears to ignore completely, but he gives Barb a short nod and follows the group into the Lodge and artifact vault.

Inside he surveys the damage briefly. A small grey cat sticks its head out of his backpack and he turns to say to it "Couldn't be students. Damage isn't widespread enough." The cat, as is the way of cats, ignores him.

Seeing the others begin to poke about, he tries to make sense of what was destroyed and determine how much of it was due to the blast at the door or if something(s) rampaged through here afterward.

Vigilant Seal

N (female) Half-Orc Barbarian 1| HP 23/23 +4 temp while raging| AC 18 17 while raging| F +8 R +4 W +6 | Perc(E) +6 darkvision, low-light vision | Stealth(U) +1 | speed 25| Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: Raging, Inspire Courage, Magic Weapon

Barb, who has been muttering quietly to herself, lights up as Lusinel addresses her. "The Forest of Spirits you say? That does sound interesting. Your trip seems to have done you good."

"Welcome, new friend, I am Barb. Don't listen to that grumpy dwarf, he'll come 'round."

She thanks Lusinel for the gift, carefully examining it, continuing to hold it as she enters and sees the mess.

"Oh my! This does not look good. What has gone on? What can we do to help?"

Edit: Dammit! This didn't post! Hrmmpf.

Verdant Wheel

NG Male Half-Orc Sorcerer 1 | HP 16/16 | AC 13 | F +5, R +3, W +5 | Perc +3 | Hero Points 1/3 |

Kazikli's expression remains invisible behind his mask. "I, too, was in Minkai. I helped with the new Lodge's building. Rumor had it a team of agents was relieved of doing so for more important work, and I suppose you were on it."


Melipdra stands, holding a shard of glass in either hand.

“Oh, good, you're all here. As you can see, somebody did a number on our artifact vault. We’ve been storing several historical relics here owned by the Monastery of Unblinking Flame as part of a standing agreement that I negotiated. In exchange for curating these treasures, the monastery gave the Society access to its archives, trainers, and other resources. Unfortunately, someone burglarized our facility. Though we didn’t have any idea it happened until two days ago, we suspect the break-in occurred a few weeks ago while I was away. Several important artifacts are missing, including an ancient statue known as One-Who-Waits, which I happen to know is treasured deeply by several masters at the monastery. You’ll know the statue when you see it—a heavy basalt sculpture of a monk meditating while sitting atop a bed of flaming coals. I need you to track it down. If you don’t, I fear our arrangement may go up in smoke."

She pauses, sets the broken pieces down on a pile of others.

"We recently received a written message from the captain of a ship called the Obsidian Owl. It seems a Vudrani woman exchanged a few historical relics for passage to Vedeesha, the island just to the northwest of Niswan. I've already secured you passage on the Obsidian Owl and it is ready to disembark for Vedessha as soon as you arrive. I'm sure you have some questions, but I must ask that you do not delay too long.

Verdant Wheel

NG Male Half-Orc Sorcerer 1 | HP 16/16 | AC 13 | F +5, R +3, W +5 | Perc +3 | Hero Points 1/3 |

"It sounds as if the monks believed these items were in danger," Kazikli rumbles. "Did they mention any parties to be wary of? Was anything else taken?"

Vigilant Seal

N Female Elf (Cavern) Rogue 2 | HP 22/22 | AC 19/21 (Nimble Dodge reaction), +1 vs. traps | F +4 R +10 W +8 (+1 vs. traps)| Perc(E) +8/+9 vs. traps, Darkvision | Stealth(T) +8, Trap Finder | Spd 30 | Hero Points: 1 | Active Conditions: none

Lusinel raises an eyebrow skeptically. "A few weeks ago? I understand you personally were away at the time, but why didn't anyone else here notice a large explosion?"

Envoy's Alliance

LG (male) human (Taldan) Wizard 1| HP 16/16 | AC 15 (16 with Mage Armor)| F +5 R +5 W +6 | Perc(T) +4 | Stealth(T) +5 | speed 25| Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: none

Feldspar looks around the room again.

"Have you confirmed that the relics in question came from your collection? Or do you have some other reason to suspect a Vudrani woman meant harm to your archive?"

After a short pause he continues "Can you be certain what was missing and not simply destroyed? Other than the statue, is there anything significant? Especially anything that might reveal itself due to an enchantment?"

He breaks off and looks somewhat apologetically at Lusinel. "Sorry to interrupt your question. Sometimes my curiosity gets the better of me."

Vigilant Seal

N (female) Half-Orc Barbarian 1| HP 23/23 +4 temp while raging| AC 18 17 while raging| F +8 R +4 W +6 | Perc(E) +6 darkvision, low-light vision | Stealth(U) +1 | speed 25| Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: Raging, Inspire Courage, Magic Weapon

"And is there something special about the statue that has everyone so interested in it? Yes, knowing what else has been taken may help, particularly if we can confirm the relics offered to the captain in payment for passage are ones that came from here."


Kazikli wrote:
"It sounds as if the monks believed these items were in danger," Kazikli rumbles. "Did they mention any parties to be wary of? Was anything else taken?"

"No, the arrangement was more an exchange of resources. We were to study the relics and share any knowledge we gleaned from them in exchange for the school's services. So far, we believe the other items taken were those exchanged for passage on the Obsidian Owl and we've recovered those."

Lusinel wrote:
Lusinel raises an eyebrow skeptically. "A few weeks ago? I understand you personally were away at the time, but why didn't anyone else here notice a large explosion?"

“Yes, I’ve been on sabbatical since the last Challenge of Sky and Heaven, living in Padiskar and the Lodge was closed during that time. The monastery—well, all of the houses really—suffered… an embarrassment that has cost the support of our more prominent patrons." She glances away. "I’d rather not talk about it.”

Feldspar of Oppara wrote:

"Have you confirmed that the relics in question came from your collection? Or do you have some other reason to suspect a Vudrani woman meant harm to your archive?"

After a short pause he continues "Can you be certain what was missing and not simply destroyed? Other than the statue, is there anything significant? Especially anything that might reveal itself due to an enchantment?"

"Yes, those that were recovered from the Obsidian Owl were from this collection. While we're still cleaning up, as you can see, we believe that the One-Who-Waits is the only significant item missing. It is certainly not among the broken items here."

Barb Ahalak wrote:
"And is there something special about the statue that has everyone so interested in it? Yes, knowing what else has been taken may help, particularly if we can confirm the relics offered to the captain in payment for passage are ones that came from here."

“The value of One-Who-Waits isn’t in its material worth, but in what it means to the arrangement with the monastery. As long as our partnership remains, the monastery intends to let us examine some of their more precious magical artifacts soon, I’m sure of it.”

"If there are no other questions, I really must insist you be on your way to Vedessha as soon as possible."

Society DC 15:

Jalmeray’s famous monasteries, collectively known as the Houses of Perfection, export doctrines of physical, mental, and spiritual development across Avistan, Casmaron, and Garund.

These Houses are also the center of Jalmeray’s proud tradition of exemplary martial arts. Students from throughout the Inner Sea venture to Jalmeray to test themselves against the challenges offered by the Houses. Those who wish to prove their worthiness must succeed at a series of seemingly impossible trials against emissaries of the elements themselves: racing against the wind-swift speed of a djinni, wrestling the mountainous power of a shaitan, outwitting the flame-sharp wit of an efreeti, or performing other, similarly fantastical, tasks. Those elite few who complete these tasks are trained to push their bodies to the peak of physical and mental perfection, achieving spiritual balance and opening their minds to transcend the normal limits of mortal potential. Once every decade, the Houses of Perfection meet in friendly competition in a grand tournament called the Challenge of Sky and Heaven. Students compete in the schools of historical knowledge, swordplay, unarmed fighting techniques, mastery of the self, arcane ability, and other esoteric disciplines.

The four houses are the Monasteries of Unblinking Flame; of Unbreaking Waves; of Unfolding Wind; and of Untwisting Iron.

Vigilant Seal

LN (Male) Human (Skilled) Cleric of Abadar level 1| HP 17/17 | AC 18/19(shield) | F +6 R +6 W +9 | Perc(T) +7 | Stealth(U) +3 | speed 25| spell DC 17| focus 1/1| spells 1st 2/2 | Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: none

Society: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14

Verdant Wheel

NG Male Half-Orc Sorcerer 1 | HP 16/16 | AC 13 | F +5, R +3, W +5 | Perc +3 | Hero Points 1/3 |

And here I went losing Society as part of my rebuild.

Kazikli takes another moment to think on the situation. "Unless you can provide a magic bag to better transport this statue, I think we may be off."

Vigilant Seal

1 person marked this as a favorite.
N Female Elf (Cavern) Rogue 2 | HP 22/22 | AC 19/21 (Nimble Dodge reaction), +1 vs. traps | F +4 R +10 W +8 (+1 vs. traps)| Perc(E) +8/+9 vs. traps, Darkvision | Stealth(T) +8, Trap Finder | Spd 30 | Hero Points: 1 | Active Conditions: none

As the party heads out to the docks to catch their ship, Lusinel digs a battered pamphlet out of her pack titled Tourists' Guide to Jalmeray and reads aloud the section concerning the Houses of Perfection to anyone who cares to listen.

Society(T): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25

Party may freely read the Society DC 15 spoiler in GM's post above.

Vigilant Seal

LN (Male) Human (Skilled) Cleric of Abadar level 1| HP 17/17 | AC 18/19(shield) | F +6 R +6 W +9 | Perc(T) +7 | Stealth(U) +3 | speed 25| spell DC 17| focus 1/1| spells 1st 2/2 | Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: none

Lande moves along with the rest, his eyes moving the whole time watching for trouble.

Vigilant Seal

N (female) Half-Orc Barbarian 1| HP 23/23 +4 temp while raging| AC 18 17 while raging| F +8 R +4 W +6 | Perc(E) +6 darkvision, low-light vision | Stealth(U) +1 | speed 25| Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: Raging, Inspire Courage, Magic Weapon

Barb makes sure to collect a Potency Crystal and attach it to her Great Axe, plus collect a Healing Potion, minor which she tucks into her bandolier, before heading toward the ship. PFS school connections

"Anyone want to pick up some last-minute supplies before we leave?" she asks the others.

Envoy's Alliance

LG (male) human (Taldan) Wizard 1| HP 16/16 | AC 15 (16 with Mage Armor)| F +5 R +5 W +6 | Perc(T) +4 | Stealth(T) +5 | speed 25| Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: none

Feldspar contemplates what little he knows about Jalmeray.

society(T): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26

"Yeah, that pretty much sums it up."

He nods to Barb and says "Thanks for the reminder.", tucking two potions of minor healing into his bandolier. Scrolls(3)


Yes, if you haven't already, now is the time to declare your schools consumables. Also, let me know what boons you are slotting if any. Additionally if you want to purchase any common items before setting out.

After making sure you're properly outfitted for the journey, you make your way to Niswan's port district and find the Obsidian Owl. You're greeted by a lizardfolk man with a white-furred ferret scampering about his shoulders. Settle down, Parrot, he mutters and the ferret comes to a rest.

Welcome to the Obsidian Owl, Pathfinders! I'm Captain Zazzander Scarscale! Despite his name, you don't notice any scars on his scaled body. Wonderful to see you about Jalmeray again, what with how many of you died in the war against Tar-Baphon! Anyway, come aboard and get comfortable.

The voyage will take about five hours, so you've plenty of time to talk with Scarscale or the ship's crew.

Verdant Wheel

NG Male Half-Orc Sorcerer 1 | HP 16/16 | AC 13 | F +5, R +3, W +5 | Perc +3 | Hero Points 1/3 |

Kazikli will pick up scrolls of Fear and Heal as school items. Will slot the Sand Slide boon and buy the onyx panther (assuming same as onyx dog) from last quest.

Kazikli doesn't bat an eye at the strange figures or pet naming conventions. Wanting to converse but unsure of where to start, he goes for a basic question. "Have you met any Pathfinders before?" He also seeks out any other crew to speak with, if they're free.

Envoy's Alliance

Male Dwarf (Death Warden) Ranger 1 HP 22/22 | AC 18 | F +7 R +9 W +6 | Perc(E) +8, Darkvision | Stealth(T) +7 | Spd 20 | Hero Points: 1 | Active Conditions: none

Koruk takes two healing potions for consumables

Koruk starts cackling when he hears the ferret's name. When he has calmed down he says, "Good one, captain. May I pet the little Parrot? Did you teach him to speak? And can you tell us anything about the woman you brought to Vedeesha?"

Vigilant Seal

N (female) Half-Orc Barbarian 1| HP 23/23 +4 temp while raging| AC 18 17 while raging| F +8 R +4 W +6 | Perc(E) +6 darkvision, low-light vision | Stealth(U) +1 | speed 25| Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: Raging, Inspire Courage, Magic Weapon

Once they are underway, Barb will speak with the crew, being careful not to interrupt their normal duties.

"Hail, friends. Be sure to put me to work if I can assist in any way. Otherwise, I will try to stay out from underfoot.

"Can you tell me anything of the woman who traded relics to sail with you to Vedeesha or anything about the island itself?"

Vigilant Seal

N Female Elf (Cavern) Rogue 2 | HP 22/22 | AC 19/21 (Nimble Dodge reaction), +1 vs. traps | F +4 R +10 W +8 (+1 vs. traps)| Perc(E) +8/+9 vs. traps, Darkvision | Stealth(T) +8, Trap Finder | Spd 30 | Hero Points: 1 | Active Conditions: none


@Kazikli - Onyx Panther is not the same as Dog. See entry for Panther here vs. Dog here.

Lusinel bows to the Captain as she boards, bows a second time to his ferret, then listens to what the Captain and crew say about the woman.


Also slotting Sand Slide. Taking 2 minor potions of healing.

Envoy's Alliance

LG (male) human (Taldan) Wizard 1| HP 16/16 | AC 15 (16 with Mage Armor)| F +5 R +5 W +6 | Perc(T) +4 | Stealth(T) +5 | speed 25| Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: none

No boons outside of faction.

Feldspar quietly follows along, watching the more experienced pathfinders with some trepidation and checking his meager equipment. While paying some attention to the ongoing conversation, he will look to see if any of the crew are trying to avoid the notice of the pathfinders and, if so, will quietly call them to Lusinel's attention.

Diplomacy trained, +3


Scarscale stretches out one arm and Parrot scampers down it to stand on his hand where Koruk can easily pet it. Hasn't said anything... yet. he says, smiling.

"Pathfinders? Oh, sure. Why not long ago, your lot was involved in rediscovering the lost House."

"Ah, you want to know about 'Master Sanvara,' or so she insisted we call her. She kept to herself mostly, but did load a large object wrapped in fur in our hold. Took it with her, of course, when we docked in Vedesha.

Barb converses with various members of the crew as Feldspar observes them. One older human man who seems like quite the veteran sailor has the most to share:

"Hmph. 'Master Sanvara'? Yeah, saw her in the recent Sky and Heaven, I did. Fought for Unblinking Flame and lost in the first round! 'Master,' my foot. Lost to someone from Unbreaking Waves, too. Pretty embarrassing since they only been around for about a year now after being missing for centuries.

Feldspar doesn't notice any of the crew acting suspiciously. They all seem to be going about their duties openly.

Opportunity to continue or start other conversations/actions aboard ship, otherwise I'll move us on.

Vigilant Seal

LN (Male) Human (Skilled) Cleric of Abadar level 1| HP 17/17 | AC 18/19(shield) | F +6 R +6 W +9 | Perc(T) +7 | Stealth(U) +3 | speed 25| spell DC 17| focus 1/1| spells 1st 2/2 | Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: none

Lande seems actively uncomfortable while on the ship.

"What can you tell us of Vedesha?"

Verdant Wheel

NG Male Half-Orc Sorcerer 1 | HP 16/16 | AC 13 | F +5, R +3, W +5 | Perc +3 | Hero Points 1/3 |

"And would the Unbreaking Waves cease training in their absence? They could naturally trounce a flame," Kazikli says simply. He doesn't have much more to add.

Envoy's Alliance

LG (male) human (Taldan) Wizard 1| HP 16/16 | AC 15 (16 with Mage Armor)| F +5 R +5 W +6 | Perc(T) +4 | Stealth(T) +5 | speed 25| Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: none

Feldspar starts to turn away, then goes back to the Captain.

"Just two final questions before we arrive. Did the good 'Master' mention anything about her final destination on the island, and was she met by anyone on arrival?"


Lande Eskudm wrote:

Lande seems actively uncomfortable while on the ship.

"What can you tell us of Vedesha?"

Scarscale shakes his head. "Ah, Vedesha... used to be a center of trade, but after all that shifted to Niswan, it's pretty much become a ghost city."

Kazikli wrote:
"And would the Unbreaking Waves cease training in their absence? They could naturally trounce a flame," Kazikli says simply. He doesn't have much more to add.

"Oh, no... by 'missing' I meant the techniques. There was no Unbreaking Waves for centuries, but some how some folks found the records and started 'er up again 'bout a year ago."

Feldspar of Oppara wrote:

Feldspar starts to turn away, then goes back to the Captain.

"Just two final questions before we arrive. Did the good 'Master' mention anything about her final destination on the island, and was she met by anyone on arrival?"

"Wasn't met by anyone that I noticed, but... He thinks for a moment. "One of the crew said he recognized her from the latest big tournament. This could be a stretch, but there's an abandoned dojo in Vedesha. Might be worth looking there. I can give you a rough idea of how to find it."

Vigilant Seal

N Female Elf (Cavern) Rogue 2 | HP 22/22 | AC 19/21 (Nimble Dodge reaction), +1 vs. traps | F +4 R +10 W +8 (+1 vs. traps)| Perc(E) +8/+9 vs. traps, Darkvision | Stealth(T) +8, Trap Finder | Spd 30 | Hero Points: 1 | Active Conditions: none

Lusinel nods thoughtfully and checks things off on her fingers. "Disgraced martial artist, wants to be called 'Master', stole an object important to her former monastery - yes, the abandoned dojo is the obvious place to start looking!"

Lusinel has no more questions.

Envoy's Alliance

LG (male) human (Taldan) Wizard 1| HP 16/16 | AC 15 (16 with Mage Armor)| F +5 R +5 W +6 | Perc(T) +4 | Stealth(T) +5 | speed 25| Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: none

Feldspar mutters something that could be "Dunning-Kruger" under his breath and gathers his things in preparation for leaving the ship.

Vigilant Seal

N (female) Half-Orc Barbarian 1| HP 23/23 +4 temp while raging| AC 18 17 while raging| F +8 R +4 W +6 | Perc(E) +6 darkvision, low-light vision | Stealth(U) +1 | speed 25| Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: Raging, Inspire Courage, Magic Weapon

"Captain, I thank you for your hospitality and transportation. One thing I am unclear on ... are you waiting for us, collecting us later, or are we on our own to find a way back?"


"You want to leave? asks Scarscale and then cackles. "Yes, we'll be waiting for ya. Take your time. Longer it takes ya, the more gold for us." He winks.

Excuse a brief bit of "on rails" here...

The Obsidian Owl docks in Vedesha. Aided by Captain Scarscale’s rough directions, you’re able to find the abandoned dojo without too much trouble. It’s a single-story structure with stone walls composed of basalt and limestone and topped with a pagoda made of thatched bamboo.

As you move through the ground floor, you find an abandoned stone courtyard, two crumbling shrines, a massive training yard littered with rusty athletics equipment, and several chambers filled with musty bedrolls.

Religion DC 10:
You think the shrines are to Irori, Vudrani god of enlightenment, self-perfection, knowledge, healing and inner strength. His followers claim that he was once a mortal who achieved absolute physical and mental perfection and thus attained divinity on his own volition.

The largest bed chamber has an obvious opening in the floor connected to a set of winding stone stairs that descend down into a foyer-like room for the lower level. This stone entryway has open doors to the northwest, west, and east. To the south are brass double doors that are locked. Map added to slides.

GM Screen:

Feldspar: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18
Lusinel: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17
Koruk: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13
Barb: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14
Lande: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19
Kazikli: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

Feldspar, Lande, Lusinel:
You hear the faint sound of a woman's voice coming from the west.

What would you like to do?

Vigilant Seal

LN (Male) Human (Skilled) Cleric of Abadar level 1| HP 17/17 | AC 18/19(shield) | F +6 R +6 W +9 | Perc(T) +7 | Stealth(U) +3 | speed 25| spell DC 17| focus 1/1| spells 1st 2/2 | Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: none

Religion DC:10: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17

The priest/manhunter looks around and whispers, "Irori, what has the Master of Masters to do with this?"

At the sound from the west Lande makes a closed fist genture and a quiet "Tctch" be fore rasing his crosbow amd looking to the west.

Vigilant Seal

LN (Male) Human (Skilled) Cleric of Abadar level 1| HP 17/17 | AC 18/19(shield) | F +6 R +6 W +9 | Perc(T) +7 | Stealth(U) +3 | speed 25| spell DC 17| focus 1/1| spells 1st 2/2 | Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: none

Religion DC:10: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10

The priest/manhunter looks around and whispers, "Irori, what has the Master of Masters to do with this?"

At the sound from the west Lande makes a closed fist gesture and a quiet "Tctch" be fore raising his crossbow and looking to the west.

Vigilant Seal

N (female) Half-Orc Barbarian 1| HP 23/23 +4 temp while raging| AC 18 17 while raging| F +8 R +4 W +6 | Perc(E) +6 darkvision, low-light vision | Stealth(U) +1 | speed 25| Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: Raging, Inspire Courage, Magic Weapon

Alerted by Lande, Barb stops and listens carefully.

"Should we check the other areas first or do you want to meet them head-on?" she asks very quietly.

Vigilant Seal

N Female Elf (Cavern) Rogue 2 | HP 22/22 | AC 19/21 (Nimble Dodge reaction), +1 vs. traps | F +4 R +10 W +8 (+1 vs. traps)| Perc(E) +8/+9 vs. traps, Darkvision | Stealth(T) +8, Trap Finder | Spd 30 | Hero Points: 1 | Active Conditions: none

Lusinel eyes the lock on the double door speculatively, but exercises iron self-control and quietly waits to hear the party's answer to Barb's question.

Verdant Wheel

NG Male Half-Orc Sorcerer 1 | HP 16/16 | AC 13 | F +5, R +3, W +5 | Perc +3 | Hero Points 1/3 |

"We would to well to see who it is," Kazikli says. If others are in agreement, he pushes west, axe not drawn yet.

Envoy's Alliance

Male Dwarf (Death Warden) Ranger 1 HP 22/22 | AC 18 | F +7 R +9 W +6 | Perc(E) +8, Darkvision | Stealth(T) +7 | Spd 20 | Hero Points: 1 | Active Conditions: none

"Did you hear someone? I'd rather see if there is someone we didn't hear elsewhere first."

Koruk gets his crossbow ready as silently as he can.

Envoy's Alliance

LG (male) human (Taldan) Wizard 1| HP 16/16 | AC 15 (16 with Mage Armor)| F +5 R +5 W +6 | Perc(T) +4 | Stealth(T) +5 | speed 25| Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: none

Feldspar quietly mutters the incantation to bring up his Mage Armor, and nods to Kazikli. "Best to find out who it is." He glances at Koruk. "Maybe before shooting them?"


Will wait to move you until there's a majority deciding on a direction. Assuming you'll stay together. Feldspar and Kazikli clear votes for heading toward the voice.

If heading west, let me know if those who have drawn weapons (Lande, Koruk) keep them out, if anyone else draws weapons, and how you'd like to approach. Stealthily, openly? Anyone call out, announce your presence?

I'll take default exploration actions also. Will use these unless stated otherwise.

Vigilant Seal

N Female Elf (Cavern) Rogue 2 | HP 22/22 | AC 19/21 (Nimble Dodge reaction), +1 vs. traps | F +4 R +10 W +8 (+1 vs. traps)| Perc(E) +8/+9 vs. traps, Darkvision | Stealth(T) +8, Trap Finder | Spd 30 | Hero Points: 1 | Active Conditions: none

Lusinel shrugs and moves to the west, making some effort to be quiet about it. "Alright, I'll go take a peek in that room."

Default exploration: Avoid Notice (Trapfinder gives check to notice traps even if not Searching)

Vigilant Seal

LN (Male) Human (Skilled) Cleric of Abadar level 1| HP 17/17 | AC 18/19(shield) | F +6 R +6 W +9 | Perc(T) +7 | Stealth(U) +3 | speed 25| spell DC 17| focus 1/1| spells 1st 2/2 | Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: none

The Cleric holds his tongue and his ground, waiting for the others to make a decision.

Lande keeps his crossbow in hand, but follows a strict bolt discipline, his finger clear of the trigger and the bolt pointed clear of anyone that is not an active threat.

Lande will be using Search

Vigilant Seal

N (female) Half-Orc Barbarian 1| HP 23/23 +4 temp while raging| AC 18 17 while raging| F +8 R +4 W +6 | Perc(E) +6 darkvision, low-light vision | Stealth(U) +1 | speed 25| Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: Raging, Inspire Courage, Magic Weapon

Barb shrugs and prepares to continue. She checks her equipment is easily accessible, including weapons, but chooses to keep her hands free for now.

Exploration activity: scouting unless someone else does, in which case searching.

Verdant Wheel

NG Male Half-Orc Sorcerer 1 | HP 16/16 | AC 13 | F +5, R +3, W +5 | Perc +3 | Hero Points 1/3 |

Trusting Lusinel to remain quiet, Kazikli backs up a few paces to reduce the noise of his spells.

Detecting Magic.


GM Screen:

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20

Lusinel:

You pad down the hallway heading west, feeling pretty confident that you're not making any sound. You peer into a large room filled with several small stone pillars that stand approximately four feet high, each topped with a fire pot containing red-hot coals. The pillars seems to have some kind of inscription on them but you can't read any of them from where you're at.

Across from the entrance is a muscular Vudrani woman clad in tan robes who sports a short undercut that leaves most of her scalp shaved except for a single braid on one side of her skull. She and two other humans are attempting to hold combat poses while standing barefoot atop a bed of fiery-hot coals from an overturned firepot. As you watch, she commands the others to “channel your anger to unleash the flaming talons of vengeance.” They seem oblivious to your presence.

Vigilant Seal

N Female Elf (Cavern) Rogue 2 | HP 22/22 | AC 19/21 (Nimble Dodge reaction), +1 vs. traps | F +4 R +10 W +8 (+1 vs. traps)| Perc(E) +8/+9 vs. traps, Darkvision | Stealth(T) +8, Trap Finder | Spd 30 | Hero Points: 1 | Active Conditions: none

Lusinel sneaks back to the others and quietly reports what she has seen. Party may read spoiler above.

"I think we've found our 'Master', training a couple of acolytes. Shall we say hello?"

1 to 50 of 148 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [PFS2] GM Steinkrug's Unforgiving Fire (Quest #2) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.