[PFS2] GM Steinkrug's Unforgiving Fire (Quest #2) (Inactive)

Game Master steinkrug

Maps and Slides


51 to 100 of 148 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Envoy's Alliance

LG (male) human (Taldan) Wizard 1| HP 16/16 | AC 15 (16 with Mage Armor)| F +5 R +5 W +6 | Perc(T) +4 | Stealth(T) +5 | speed 25| Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: none

Feldspar will scout, leaving those with actual ability to detect things to search.

Feldspar will follow the group, staying behind the first ranks. He will be holding his staff in one hand and trying to move quietly as best he can. In particular he will take care not to block Lande's line of fire.

Vigilant Seal

N (female) Half-Orc Barbarian 1| HP 23/23 +4 temp while raging| AC 18 17 while raging| F +8 R +4 W +6 | Perc(E) +6 darkvision, low-light vision | Stealth(U) +1 | speed 25| Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: Raging, Inspire Courage, Magic Weapon

Search it is then


The group proceeds toward the room Lusinel scouted. In addition to the details I gave Lusinel, there is a door to the south as seen on the map and the room seems to wrap around a corner to the north.

When the group enters the room, the muscular Vudrani woman motions to the other two and they step off of the coals.

Welcome to the Temple of Unforgiving Fire, she says. I am Meleeka Sanvara and these are my disciples, Yute Kulan and Uskrani Bor. She then looks at you expectantly.

Meleeka is pictured on the cover of the quest on the first slide.

Society DC 15:
You recognize Meleeka's disciples as a notorious duo of bandits known as the Mudclaws.

Vigilant Seal

LN (Male) Human (Skilled) Cleric of Abadar level 1| HP 17/17 | AC 18/19(shield) | F +6 R +6 W +9 | Perc(T) +7 | Stealth(U) +3 | speed 25| spell DC 17| focus 1/1| spells 1st 2/2 | Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: none

Society(T): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

"I am Lande Eskudm, a pathfinder. I suspect that you know why we are here." Lande's loaded crossbow is in his hand but carefully pointed away from anyone.

Vigilant Seal

N (female) Half-Orc Barbarian 1| HP 23/23 +4 temp while raging| AC 18 17 while raging| F +8 R +4 W +6 | Perc(E) +6 darkvision, low-light vision | Stealth(U) +1 | speed 25| Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: Raging, Inspire Courage, Magic Weapon

Society: 1d20 ⇒ 18

Barb looks at the group before her, then steps forward, placing her hands behind her back she bows slightly and addresses the woman, "Master Sanvara is it? We have heard of you. We come seeking an item that may have mistakenly found its way into your care."

Behind her back, Barb makes some subtle hand gestures. Basic Society code for "watch these two".

Vigilant Seal

N Female Elf (Cavern) Rogue 2 | HP 22/22 | AC 19/21 (Nimble Dodge reaction), +1 vs. traps | F +4 R +10 W +8 (+1 vs. traps)| Perc(E) +8/+9 vs. traps, Darkvision | Stealth(T) +8, Trap Finder | Spd 30 | Hero Points: 1 | Active Conditions: none

Society(T): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11

Alerted by Barb's warning signals, Lusinel squints pointedly at the two disciples.

Underworld Lore(T), if relevant: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16

Verdant Wheel

NG Male Half-Orc Sorcerer 1 | HP 16/16 | AC 13 | F +5, R +3, W +5 | Perc +3 | Hero Points 1/3 |

Kazikli expects a battle, even more so when the team is admitted to be Pathfinders. This is his go-ahead to take a gloves-off approach. "So you need not find out momentarily, we are no students."

Intimidation: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12

Envoy's Alliance

1 person marked this as a favorite.
LG (male) human (Taldan) Wizard 1| HP 16/16 | AC 15 (16 with Mage Armor)| F +5 R +5 W +6 | Perc(T) +4 | Stealth(T) +5 | speed 25| Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: none

Feldspar, never having been known to have been particularly intimidating, stands quietly waiting to see how Sanvara will respond while noting the positions of the two 'disciples'.

"Some of us will always be students." he mutters quietly to his familiar riding in his backpack, who as usual ignores him.

He tries to stand in a way that says Kazikli's pre-battle demeanor isn't making him nervous at all and has managed to convince himself that it is working. Only himself, probably.

Of particular interest is noting which characters are in range of each other (30') for electric arc. Map didn't seem to be updated when I checked.

Envoy's Alliance

Male Dwarf (Death Warden) Ranger 1 HP 22/22 | AC 18 | F +7 R +9 W +6 | Perc(E) +8, Darkvision | Stealth(T) +7 | Spd 20 | Hero Points: 1 | Active Conditions: none

Koruk positions himself so he has a clear shot at Meleeka, but keeps his crossbow pointed down for now. He looks around for other threats, and leaves the talking to the others.


@Lusinel, yeah, I'll give you the Underworld lore.

NPCs added to slides. Feel free to move your tokens into the room.

Sanvara seems to smile ever so slightly when Barb addresses her as Master. You might not have even noticed it. However, now that you're all standing before her, there's you do definitely notice a key hanging around her neck. "Not students.. Heh, perhaps you just do not realize how much there is to learn." She gestures at the other two. "Like these two. They are learning the ancient techniques of the Rain of Embers kata, a martial arts form developed by my ancestors to honor the phoenix Pyralisia."

"Do you know of Pyralisia? She doesn't wait for an answer. "She sacrificed herself to prevent hordes of demons from escaping the Worldwound to overrun Golarion. When the Rain of Embers was reborn, however, she discovered her allies had abandoned her to die. Enraged, she made patrolling the Worldwound the focus of her new life, hunting crusaders and demons alike."

She crosses her arms over her chest. "Like Pyralisia, the Rain of Embers kata teaches students to never forget how they’ve been wronged."

Savara's disciples both smile.

"If you wish to know anything more, including the whereabouts of misplaced items, you must prove yourself worthy of the secrets of the Unforgiving Fire."

Arcana, Occultism or Society DC 15:

Pyralisia was actually corrupted by evil energy pouring from the Worldwound, rather than betrayed by her allies.

Vigilant Seal

1 person marked this as a favorite.
N Female Elf (Cavern) Rogue 2 | HP 22/22 | AC 19/21 (Nimble Dodge reaction), +1 vs. traps | F +4 R +10 W +8 (+1 vs. traps)| Perc(E) +8/+9 vs. traps, Darkvision | Stealth(T) +8, Trap Finder | Spd 30 | Hero Points: 1 | Active Conditions: none

Society(T): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27

Lusinel rolls her eyes, and says, "Oh please. Pyralisia was corrupted by evil energy pouring from the Worldwound. 'Betrayal' had nothing to do with it." Party may read Arcana/Occultism/Society spoiler immediately above.

She gestures at the two disciples. "Have you rewritten the history of the Mudclaws in your mind as well? Or does the art of banditry play an important role in your philosophy? Not judging, just curious." Party may read Society spoiler from GM's post on previous day.

Vigilant Seal

N (female) Half-Orc Barbarian 1| HP 23/23 +4 temp while raging| AC 18 17 while raging| F +8 R +4 W +6 | Perc(E) +6 darkvision, low-light vision | Stealth(U) +1 | speed 25| Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: Raging, Inspire Courage, Magic Weapon

Barb looks again at the group and then addresses the Vudrani woman once more, "Master Sanvara, I applaud your attempt to redeem these two bandits and introduce them to the discipline of true martial training. You look to have some interesting techniques, perhaps you would be kind enough to discuss them." She smiles at Sanvara, then can be seen to cock her head slightly as if listening and she looks down as she mumbles, "Hush, Shri. I am giving her the benefit of the doubt. I have no way to know her true motives."

Envoy's Alliance

LG (male) human (Taldan) Wizard 1| HP 16/16 | AC 15 (16 with Mage Armor)| F +5 R +5 W +6 | Perc(T) +4 | Stealth(T) +5 | speed 25| Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: none

Arcana: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11

Feldspar listens to Lusinel's explanation with the air of a student taking notes and remains quiet, content to let the more experienced Pathfinders take the lead here. He will hold his position near the rear of the group, without allowing himself to become separated from any of his fellows.

Vigilant Seal

N (female) Half-Orc Barbarian 1| HP 23/23 +4 temp while raging| AC 18 17 while raging| F +8 R +4 W +6 | Perc(E) +6 darkvision, low-light vision | Stealth(U) +1 | speed 25| Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: Raging, Inspire Courage, Magic Weapon

When I made my last post the previous two were not visible to me. I will let it stand anyway as it is not too far out of context.


Lusinel wrote:

Lusinel rolls her eyes, and says, "Oh please. Pyralisia was corrupted by evil energy pouring from the Worldwound. 'Betrayal' had nothing to do with it."

"I have heard that lie before but did not expect to hear it repeated here in my own temple."

Quote:
She gestures at the two disciples. "Have you rewritten the history of the Mudclaws in your mind as well? Or does the art of banditry play an important role in your philosophy? Not judging, just curious."

Uskrani's face is expressionless, but Yute seems to shrug slightly when Sanvara turns and looks at them both. She seems unsettled by Lusinel's words. "Uh, at the Temple of Unforgiving Fire we look to the future. Yes, as the flame consumes the past."

Barb Ahalak wrote:
Barb looks again at the group and then addresses the Vudrani woman once more, "Master Sanvara, I applaud your attempt to redeem these two bandits and introduce them to the discipline of true martial training. You look to have some interesting techniques, perhaps you would be kind enough to discuss them." She smiles at Sanvara, then can be seen to cock her head slightly as if listening and she looks down as she mumbles, "Hush, Shri. I am giving her the benefit of the doubt. I have no way to know her true motives."

Sanvara seems grateful for the distraction from Lusinel's astute questions and observations. "Yes, of course. I would be happy to tell you more of our techniques here at the Temple of Unforgiving Fire."

To be continued soon...

Verdant Wheel

NG Male Half-Orc Sorcerer 1 | HP 16/16 | AC 13 | F +5, R +3, W +5 | Perc +3 | Hero Points 1/3 |

Almost certain this was about to break into a brawl, Kazikli watches the exchange in silent surprise.


"In fact," Sanvara continues, "I have always felt that one learns best by doing. And as you come to me seeking knowledge, whether that be simply the location of misplaced items, or something more, I must ask that you prove yourselves worthy of that information."

Sanvara raises both of her arms horizontally, indicating the room around you. "The Trial of Embers! Three challenges in which you will compete with my disciples to show me that you deserve to learn what you wish to know. And as this knowledge will be shared among you, I encourage all of you to participate."

Should you choose to participate, Sanvara will describe each of the challenges. Two PCs will attempt each challenge and you can decide who will attempt which before starting any of them. It is not required that all six of you participate, but both Sanvara and I encourage it (for different reasons; I just think it's more fun). Regardless, it will still require two PCs per challenge, so if someone does not participate, someone else will have to compete more than once.

Thanks to the dubious background of the disciples being revealed, they will take a penalty to their checks in the challenges. And thanks to Barb buttering her up with 'Master,' she will give you better instructions and you'll be getting a bonus.

Provided you participate and don't just decide to hit her in the face with something. Which is why I'll wait before typing up her descriptions of the events for now... ;)

Verdant Wheel

NG Male Half-Orc Sorcerer 1 | HP 16/16 | AC 13 | F +5, R +3, W +5 | Perc +3 | Hero Points 1/3 |

Kazikli is no stranger to such posturing. He will help however the team thinks is best, to beat Sanvara at her own game. And failing that, the game can be changed with the help of his axe.

Vigilant Seal

N Female Elf (Cavern) Rogue 2 | HP 22/22 | AC 19/21 (Nimble Dodge reaction), +1 vs. traps | F +4 R +10 W +8 (+1 vs. traps)| Perc(E) +8/+9 vs. traps, Darkvision | Stealth(T) +8, Trap Finder | Spd 30 | Hero Points: 1 | Active Conditions: none

Lusinel refrains from rolling her eyes (again) at the woman's pompous nonsense and simply listens to the answers to Barb's inquiries. She's willing to play along with the farce, for now.

Envoy's Alliance

LG (male) human (Taldan) Wizard 1| HP 16/16 | AC 15 (16 with Mage Armor)| F +5 R +5 W +6 | Perc(T) +4 | Stealth(T) +5 | speed 25| Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: none

Feldspar shrugs. "Whatever you think best." he mutters to the group addressing Sanvara. He eyes the two disciples, not hiding his distrust that they will engage fairly in the contest.

Vigilant Seal

N (female) Half-Orc Barbarian 1| HP 23/23 +4 temp while raging| AC 18 17 while raging| F +8 R +4 W +6 | Perc(E) +6 darkvision, low-light vision | Stealth(U) +1 | speed 25| Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: Raging, Inspire Courage, Magic Weapon

"Yes, Shakkah, I will be careful. If Shri had not eaten my words then perhaps we would have made better progress."

Barb looks at Sanvara with a firm expression, "I am always interested in learning more fighting techniques, even if I do not permanently adopt them myself. Please, tell us more of this trial you propose. What are the three challenges and what rules apply?"


Sanvara looks pleased that the group agrees to hear more.

"First is the cinderpalm strike. Thanks to the influences of the efreeti who once called Vedeesha home, tiny manifestations of living fire—known as cinderwisps—can be found throughout the island. The wisps are fundamental to executing the cinderpalm strike, a fiery attack with explosive force. The wisps are attracted by burning coals such as these." She indicates the firepots nearby. "To perform this technique, you must strike out at a cinderwisp as it floats quickly by, snatching a small everburning ember, called its heartspark, from the depths of its flame."

During each round of this challenge, a PC can attempt a Reflex save, Arcana check (to identify the patterns of the magical creature and strike out at the most appropriate time), or Deception check (to Feint one attack, while reaching out toward the wisp with another).

"Second is the iron talon grip which is used to maintain terrifying grips and hand holds during throws and grapples. The challenge will require you to lift a statue important to my ancestors and slam it against that hanging gong," Sanvara says, pointing. [b]"I will bring out the statue before the challenge and demonstrate as I will demonstrate all three techniques."

During each round of this challenge, a PC can attempt a Will save (to force themselves to hang on through the painful vibrations), Athletics check, Performance check, or Warfare Lore check (to recall methodology used by other ancient monks to secure holds and throws).

"Finally, soaring-ashes style. In the Rain of Embers kata, we use soaring-ashes style to harden ourselves against elemental dangers. During this challenge, you must leap from pillar to pillar in our refectory," she points to the east, "while holding a small stone bowl in both hands filled with special fluid that will be used to light a torch held in a sconce on the wall."

During each round of this challenge, a PC can attempt a Fortitude save (to endure burns on their hands and chest from spilled liquid), an Acrobatics check to Balance (to avoid spilling any liquid at all), Performance check, or a Crafting check (to Recall Knowledge about best practices in handling incendiary substances).

-----------------------------------------------------------------

So, each challenge will proceed until one of the PCs or one of the disciples has accumulated three successes. One or two PCs per challenge. (If only 1 PC participates, only 1 disciple will.)

Each challenge has 3 or 4 relevant skills as you can see in bold. As mentioned before, Sanvara would prefer all 6 of you participate at least once. And that seems the most fun. But it is not required.

You can now decide among the group who will attempt each challenge, perhaps by listing which appropriate skills you have.

Verdant Wheel

NG Male Half-Orc Sorcerer 1 | HP 16/16 | AC 13 | F +5, R +3, W +5 | Perc +3 | Hero Points 1/3 |

Kazikli calls for an impromptu huddle. "I am no master of combat, certainly without my axe. But I know the value to putting on a show of one. These techniques are dramatic enough to qualify." The half-orc idly wonders if Sanvara will bring out the statue they are after.

I have Deception and Performance +6, plus a lower Acrobatics and Will save.

Vigilant Seal

N (female) Half-Orc Barbarian 1| HP 23/23 +4 temp while raging| AC 18 17 while raging| F +8 R +4 W +6 | Perc(E) +6 darkvision, low-light vision | Stealth(U) +1 | speed 25| Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: Raging, Inspire Courage, Magic Weapon

Barb perks up a little as the descriptions are given.

"Hmm, those cinder wisps look a bit tricky, but the other two should be manageable. I will listen to your guidance, Shakkah, particularly if you can keep Shri from distracting me."

As the description wraps up, she looks at her fellow Pathfinders then addresses the young monk, "Master Sanvara, these look like interesting challenges and I would be happy to participate in any of them. Please allow us a few moments to decide who will have the honour of participating in each."

Best skills for each: cinderpalm strike - Reflex +4, not my forte; iron talon grip - Athletics +7; soaring-ashes style - Fortitude +8.

Vigilant Seal

N Female Elf (Cavern) Rogue 2 | HP 22/22 | AC 19/21 (Nimble Dodge reaction), +1 vs. traps | F +4 R +10 W +8 (+1 vs. traps)| Perc(E) +8/+9 vs. traps, Darkvision | Stealth(T) +8, Trap Finder | Spd 30 | Hero Points: 1 | Active Conditions: none

Lusinel does some calisthenics and stretches while the group discusses the challenges.

Cinderpalm: Reflex +10
Iron talon: Will +8
Soaring ashes: Acrobatics +8

Vigilant Seal

N (female) Half-Orc Barbarian 1| HP 23/23 +4 temp while raging| AC 18 17 while raging| F +8 R +4 W +6 | Perc(E) +6 darkvision, low-light vision | Stealth(U) +1 | speed 25| Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: Raging, Inspire Courage, Magic Weapon

To help with decision making:
Feldspar's best skills:
Cinderpalm: Arcana +7
Iron Talon: Will +6
Soaring Ashes: Crafting +7

Vigilant Seal

1 person marked this as a favorite.
N Female Elf (Cavern) Rogue 2 | HP 22/22 | AC 19/21 (Nimble Dodge reaction), +1 vs. traps | F +4 R +10 W +8 (+1 vs. traps)| Perc(E) +8/+9 vs. traps, Darkvision | Stealth(T) +8, Trap Finder | Spd 30 | Hero Points: 1 | Active Conditions: none

Haven't heard from Koruk and Lande in a while, but if we're going for full participation, it works out nicely that everyone can do something using their highest modifier among all the relevant skills.

Suggestion:
- Cinderpalm: Lusinel Reflex 10 and Koruk Reflex 9
- Iron Talon: Lande Will 9 and Kazikli Performance 6
- Soaring Ashes: Barb Fortitude 8 and Feldspar Crafting 7

Vigilant Seal

N (female) Half-Orc Barbarian 1| HP 23/23 +4 temp while raging| AC 18 17 while raging| F +8 R +4 W +6 | Perc(E) +6 darkvision, low-light vision | Stealth(U) +1 | speed 25| Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: Raging, Inspire Courage, Magic Weapon

I am good with that suggestion.

Envoy's Alliance

LG (male) human (Taldan) Wizard 1| HP 16/16 | AC 15 (16 with Mage Armor)| F +5 R +5 W +6 | Perc(T) +4 | Stealth(T) +5 | speed 25| Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: none

I'm good with that suggestion as well.

I'm sure Nugget will laugh at my attempts to balance, but it's as good a choice as any.

There is a sound from his backpack that is best described as the kitten version of a snigger.

Verdant Wheel

NG Male Half-Orc Sorcerer 1 | HP 16/16 | AC 13 | F +5, R +3, W +5 | Perc +3 | Hero Points 1/3 |

Looks good to me.

Kazikli shrugs, unshouldering his backpack and weapon in preparation. "I should hope this statue is hardy enough to withstand the blow."


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I just sent Lande a message. I'll reach out to Koruk as well soon if he doesn't drop in today. Appreciate the attentiveness of the rest of you. And kudos to Lusinel for putting together the suggestion.

Sanvara and the disciples all seem quite pleased that the group has decided to participate in the challenges. "Wonderful. We'll begin with the cinderpalm strike."

Sanvara walks over to one of the nearby firepots and enters a fighting stance. She concentrates, eyes watching the small embers floating in the air. Suddenly, her right arm thrusts out through one of these smalls wisps and when her strike completes there is a small explosion of fire near her palm.

"Like that," she says. "Our visitors may go first, of course."

-------------------------------------------------------------------

So, this could really drag in play-by-post if we go back and forth between the two PCs and two disciples. So, I propose:

Both PCs make checks until they have accumulated three successes. Show all your rolls, of course. I will then roll in the same way for the disciples. Winner will be whoever accumulates three successes in the least amount of rolls. Ties will go to the PCs as they act first. That work? Make sense?

"Master" Sanvara will be giving you better instructions due to Barb's flattery, so for simplicity I'll just factor that into the DC of the checks, reducing them by 2. So, the DC for all challenge checks is 13. The disciples will also be taking a penalty because they are rattled by having their unsavory pasts revealed.

This shouldn't be too tough.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Lusinel and Koruk step up to perform the cinderpalm strike.

If you roll a critical success, the heartspark glowing in your palm gives you a +2 bonus on your next attempt.

If you roll a critical failure, you inhale harmful fumes and become sickened 1. If this happens, you can continue on with a -1 to the rest of your checks, or you can take a round and attempt a DC 15 fortitude save to recover, but that'll count against your number of attempts in the challenge.

Vigilant Seal

1 person marked this as a favorite.
N Female Elf (Cavern) Rogue 2 | HP 22/22 | AC 19/21 (Nimble Dodge reaction), +1 vs. traps | F +4 R +10 W +8 (+1 vs. traps)| Perc(E) +8/+9 vs. traps, Darkvision | Stealth(T) +8, Trap Finder | Spd 30 | Hero Points: 1 | Active Conditions: none

With an air of insouciance that provides stark contrast to Sanvara's technique, Lusinel dances blithely through the room, reaching out apparently at random into the air above the firepots, but each time she does so there is an explosive flare of light.

Reflex: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (8) + 10 = 18
Reflex: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19
Reflex: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29


Heard back from Lande who is still with us but dealing with something at the moment. From what I can tell, Koruk does not have PMs enabled. I'll see if we have them back for the next event.

Lusinel performs masterfully while the disciple's first attempt fails to produce the desired result. While he is successful the second time, Lusinel easily demonstrates a third cinderpalm strike and takes the challenge.

Rolls:

1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15

Lusinel, once during the adventure, you can use an Interact action to crush the heartsparks you captured in your hand, granting an extra 1d6 fire damage to your next melee Strike.

Sanvara's demeanor seems slightly dampened by her disciple's poor performance, but she attempts to hide it. "Very well done. On to the next challenge then. If you'll wait here a moment."

Sanvara unlocks the door at the southern end of the room with the key that was hanging around her neck. She returns a few moments later holding a statue that matches the description given to you by Mlipdra, a figure sitting in lotus position. "The One-Who-Waits," she says, "which my ancestors used to practice the iron talon grip." She carries it over to the nearby gong, tilts the bottom of it upward and slams it into the gong. A resounding crash echoes throughout the room and then she sets the statue down next to the gong.

Lande and Kazikli step up to perform the iron talon grip.

Lusinel didn't need any help with the first challenge as it turned out. However, if you'd like to decide on a backup for Lande in case we don't get rolls from them, feel free. Or it can be a one-on-one, Kazikli vs. one disciple.

Verdant Wheel

NG Male Half-Orc Sorcerer 1 | HP 16/16 | AC 13 | F +5, R +3, W +5 | Perc +3 | Hero Points 1/3 |

If Kazikli thought he could, he would pick up the statue and run. He instead follows through with the challenge, exaggerating his movements in a way more suited to a play than a proper fight. Each swing is accentuated with the noise of rushing wind.

Performance: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12
Performance: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17
Performance: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
Performance: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14


Rolls:

1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16

Kazikli and the disciple both struggle on their first attempt. However, the half-orc sorcerer gets the hang of it quicker than she does and though she makes the gong ring on her last effort, it is too late as Kazikli slams the statue bottom into the gong a third time.

Kazikli Once during the adventure, you can use a reaction to reroll one failed Athletics check to Grapple or one failed check to Escape (this reward can be used for only one of these effects).

Sanvara's smile, perhaps not entirely genuine in the first place, has trouble returning to her face after another poor performance from one of her disciples. "Well done! Please wait here a moment." She takes the statue and once again leaves via the door to the south and returns a moment later empty handed.

"For the last challenge, a change of locations. If you'll all follow me." She leads the group (with the disciples following behind you) east, through the area you entered into and further east into a room filled with mounds of debris, pools of stagnant water, and 10-foot high pillars. A3 on the map.

"We are... still repairing some of the damage to the dojo, but this room nonetheless makes for an ideal staging for our final challenge." Sanvara takes a small stone bowl from a nearby table and fills it with a clear, thick fluid from a jug. She then climbs, one-handed, onto one of the pillars. With a grace hard not to admire, she leaps from pillar to pillar, holding the bowl steady. When she reaches the northern wall she says, "Here, the first to arrive will use the fluid in their bowl to light this torch." Sanvara then hops back along the pillars, still holding her bowl, still making it look easy to not spill any fluid.

"The third and final challenge: soaring ashes style."

Barb and Feldspar step up to perform the challenge.

Envoy's Alliance

LG (male) human (Taldan) Wizard 1| HP 16/16 | AC 15 (16 with Mage Armor)| F +5 R +5 W +6 | Perc(T) +4 | Stealth(T) +5 | speed 25| Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: none

crafting: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21
crafting: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20
crafting: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10
crafting: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14

Feldspar moves forward and walks around the bowl, examining it carefully before cautiously picking it up and moving to the pillars. He climbs carefully, and jumps from pillar to pillar with increasing confidence that is rewarded with him slipping and barely catching himself on the third jump.
"Stop sniggering. you hear him whisper to his familiar as he more cautiously proceeds through the course.

Vigilant Seal

N (female) Half-Orc Barbarian 1| HP 23/23 +4 temp while raging| AC 18 17 while raging| F +8 R +4 W +6 | Perc(E) +6 darkvision, low-light vision | Stealth(U) +1 | speed 25| Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: Raging, Inspire Courage, Magic Weapon

"Revered ancestors, I need your guidance and no distractions while I attempt this task."

Barb accepts the bowl and eyes off the pillars. Taking a deep breath she begins the challenge.

Spoiler:

Fortitude: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20
Fortitude: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22
Fortitude: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22

As she progresses Barb feels the occasional slosh of liquid and the increasing penetration of heat through the bowl but concentrates on her breathing and the comforting familiarity of the voices of Shakkah and Shri, though totally ignoring what they say while focused on the task at hand.


Rolls:

1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21

Barb and Feldspar both perform admirably, though Barb makes it to the torch first. The disciples both start off poorly, stopping to shake off the pain from spilling the fluid onto their hands. They make a better showing on their next attempts, but by then it is too late.

Barb, once during the adventure, you can use a Reaction to reduce up to 5 fire damage as if you had fire resistance 5.

"Well done," says Sanvara. "You have bested my disciples in all three challenges therefore I will give you this, which will unlock the room to the south, as you've no doubt surmised." Sanvara lifts the key off of her neck and hands it to Lusinel. "You'll find what you came for in there." She and her disciples then walk back down toward the room in which you found them.

The party realizes that at some point during the events, Koruk and Lande have left.

While there appears to have been a door to the south in your current room [A3], it's rusted shut and impossible to open. So there's the locked double doors near where you came in and the door in [A2] that Sanvara used in the second event. Whether they lead to the same room isn't clear, but seems likely.

I've removed Koruk and Lande for inactivity. As mentioned, I heard from Lande, but since Quests are short, it doesn't seem fair to the rest of you to give credit when absent for 1/2 or more of the adventure. I feel bad about it, but it seems the right thing to do.

Verdant Wheel

NG Male Half-Orc Sorcerer 1 | HP 16/16 | AC 13 | F +5, R +3, W +5 | Perc +3 | Hero Points 1/3 |

Kazikli practically hurls himself at the door, ready to enter as soon as it opens. "Be prepared to follow if they have not made good on their promises."

Vigilant Seal

N (female) Half-Orc Barbarian 1| HP 23/23 +4 temp while raging| AC 18 17 while raging| F +8 R +4 W +6 | Perc(E) +6 darkvision, low-light vision | Stealth(U) +1 | speed 25| Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: Raging, Inspire Courage, Magic Weapon

Barb readies her greataxe and prepares to follow Kazikli.

"I don't know where the others went? I hope they are alright and it was simply a matter of not wanting to play with fire."

Vigilant Seal

N Female Elf (Cavern) Rogue 2 | HP 22/22 | AC 19/21 (Nimble Dodge reaction), +1 vs. traps | F +4 R +10 W +8 (+1 vs. traps)| Perc(E) +8/+9 vs. traps, Darkvision | Stealth(T) +8, Trap Finder | Spd 30 | Hero Points: 1 | Active Conditions: none

Lusinel tries the key on the large double doors, and mutters quietly, "Be vigilant. Seems unlikely that Sanvara will let us just walk off with the prize."

Assuming Kazikli wants to take point She follows Kazikli into the room as well.

Envoy's Alliance

LG (male) human (Taldan) Wizard 1| HP 16/16 | AC 15 (16 with Mage Armor)| F +5 R +5 W +6 | Perc(T) +4 | Stealth(T) +5 | speed 25| Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: none

Feldspar follows to the door, keeping a wary eye toward the defeated disciples as a known potential threat.

"Softly now, Nugget. This level of wariness seems justified." He spares a quick glance at the area around him looking for rubble that could be used as a projectile in need.

"Ready when you all are," he says to no one in particular.


Using default exploration actions.

Iogsig gave me a tip on how to extract the map image without the text on it which was helpful for the next room. Orientation is different so apologies for any confusion.

You enter what upon a moment's observation appears to have once been the bathing area. There are several small pools of stagnant water (about 5' deep with about 2' of water) and the air smells of mildew and mold. At the northern end of the room, the One-Who-Waits statue sits on a pedestal in an alcove.

Assuming at least one of you will approach the statue, I will assume others do as well unless they state they are doing otherwise (remaining by the doors, etc.).

Verdant Wheel

NG Male Half-Orc Sorcerer 1 | HP 16/16 | AC 13 | F +5, R +3, W +5 | Perc +3 | Hero Points 1/3 |

Kazikli beckons Barb to help him carry the statue. He continues his scan for magic while approaching but is not as wary as he was seconds ago.

Vigilant Seal

N Female Elf (Cavern) Rogue 2 | HP 22/22 | AC 19/21 (Nimble Dodge reaction), +1 vs. traps | F +4 R +10 W +8 (+1 vs. traps)| Perc(E) +8/+9 vs. traps, Darkvision | Stealth(T) +8, Trap Finder | Spd 30 | Hero Points: 1 | Active Conditions: none

Lusinel slinks along with the group, keeping to the shadows as is her usual wont.

Avoiding Notice (with Trap Finder)


GM Screen:

1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16
1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11

Before anyone can step in it, Lusinel detects the faint pattern of a rune on the floor 15-20 feet before the alcove and recognizes it as a trap involving a cloud of invisible sensors floating around the rune. As such, it seems attempting to leap over it might be dangerous.

Square marked on the map. Disable: Acrobatics DC 15 to approach without triggering the trap followed by Thievery DC 16 (trained) to erase the rune, or dispel magic (1st level, counteract DC 15) to counteract the rune.

Vigilant Seal

1 person marked this as a favorite.
N Female Elf (Cavern) Rogue 2 | HP 22/22 | AC 19/21 (Nimble Dodge reaction), +1 vs. traps | F +4 R +10 W +8 (+1 vs. traps)| Perc(E) +8/+9 vs. traps, Darkvision | Stealth(T) +8, Trap Finder | Spd 30 | Hero Points: 1 | Active Conditions: none

Lusinel hisses a warning to stop the party. From a distance, she peers at the trap, looks around at her magically-inclined companions, and rubs her chin.

"I'm going to try disabling it. Stay back." She steps forward, and begins moving towards the rune in a strange jerky path, making sudden unexplained hopping and dodging movements, as if avoiding invisible beams.

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17

Nothing untoward happens. Arriving at her destination, she kneels by the trap, retrieves a soft brush from her set of tools, and starts to erase the nearest part of the rune.

Thievery(T): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 11

... In a frozen moment of time, sound ceases to exist, and as if viewing the scene from outside her own body, she sees the trap exploding, herself reeling back from the blast, and expressions of shock on the watching party members' faces...

Lusinel throws herself to the side, reaching her other hand out to instead smudge a different part of the rune.

Hero Point re-roll Thievery(T): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (7) + 10 = 17

... With a rush of sound and light, the frozen scene disappears, and the real world comes flooding back...

The broken rune lies inert. Lusinel sighs, and pushes herself up off the floor. "There, it's done. Nothing to it." She puts her brush away, and flicks a few specks of dirt off her clothes. "Keep an eye out, there might be more of those things about."

Envoy's Alliance

LG (male) human (Taldan) Wizard 1| HP 16/16 | AC 15 (16 with Mage Armor)| F +5 R +5 W +6 | Perc(T) +4 | Stealth(T) +5 | speed 25| Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: none

Feldspar moves cautiously up along the wall, pausing at the corner of the large pool to try to Detect Magic, hoping to reveal any other magical traps.
Intended destination shown on the map. Let me know if I get there without exploding.

Vigilant Seal

N (female) Half-Orc Barbarian 1| HP 23/23 +4 temp while raging| AC 18 17 while raging| F +8 R +4 W +6 | Perc(E) +6 darkvision, low-light vision | Stealth(U) +1 | speed 25| Hero Points: 1 |Active Conditions: Raging, Inspire Courage, Magic Weapon

Barb, much impressed by Lusinel's skills, moves carefully to the far wall and begins to slowly progress, searching carefully for any other traps or hazards.

Perception +6

Barb will progress as far as she thinks she safely can.


GM Screen:

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15

As Barb approaches from the other side, having seen what Lusinel disabled, she spots another similar rune on the ground ahead. Marked in red.

Kazikli and Feldspar detect magic coming not from the statue, but from a trunk also in the alcove.

The One-Who-Waits has a bulk of 4. It is too big to be concealed.

Trunk Contents:

1) An iron scepter topped with a sculpture of a talon clutching an orb that continually glows white-hot as if it is still being tempered in a forge; 2) two leather bladders filled with liquid; 3) a leather-bound journal; 4) and a set of six scrolls.

51 to 100 of 148 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [PFS2] GM Steinkrug's Unforgiving Fire (Quest #2) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.