GM Sparrowhawk's Origin of the Open Road [Gameday VIII]

Game Master Bristor


51 to 81 of 81 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

CN Goblin (Charhide) Alchemist 5 HP: 56/56 | AC: 22 | F: 11 R: 13 W: 7 | Per: 7 | Stealth: 13 | Speed: 25 ft | Active Conditions: ---

Arcana: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24

"That they are! Looks like they were done not too long ago...wonder who it was." Fumbus adds tracing the runes with his fingers and tasting a bit of the rubble.


Female Elf Rogue 5 HP 56/56 | AC 22 | Fort +9, Reflex +13, Will +11 | Perception +11 (E), Deception +9 (E), Stealth +13 (E)

Merisiel scowls, That is concerning, looks like they may have been left as a trap? Maybe for us? We should probably let the Captain know what we have found out.


Maps and Handouts

At that moment, closer to the orrery, a liveried servant coughs to get your attention. The look of annoyance on his face as he surveys the battle scene is obvious.

Vash-votam Sanserkhot requests the pleasure of your company for a late lunch in the solarium.” He then turns on his heel, clearly expecting you to follow.

Sebnet is happy to see you enter, although concerned when noticing your wounds.
“My goodness! What has happened? And I hope you found what you were looking for with those wounds!”

Feel free to RP your response, but I’ll keep this moving with more . . .

In your conversation with Sebnet, she can answer some questions or respond to findings. Feel free to look below and respond as you’d like:

“Your statues attacked us!”:
“What? Animated statues in the Orrery Archive? We have several magical marvels here in Nexus House, but this is news to me. Could it be sabotage? We haven’t needed particularly strong security in the past, but perhaps we should consider it. As it might be relevant, what were you doing, as precisely as you recall, when the statues began running amok?”

“Your records about oozes are missing. ”:
“Everyone has to make ends meet sometimes, even a prestigious Pathfinder lodge. We occasionally sell off texts from our collection. But selling all information about a specific subject matter would be unusual. It would also require my approval, which I didn’t give. This smacks of a theft, rather than a sale.”

“ What is the Open Road Pact/the agreement among early Pathfinders?”:
“This isn’t something I’ve heard of before, and since anything involving Durvin Gest is pretty much common knowledge among Pathfinders, that’s a surprise. Details about the Open Road Pact would no doubt grant a fresh look at the earliest days of the Pathfinder Society.”

“Who were the last people in the Orrery Archive?”:
“I couldn’t say. I’m sure no one’s been there for at least a few days, and quite possibly not for weeks. The records were placed there in part because we didn’t need frequent access to them.”


Female Elf Rogue 5 HP 56/56 | AC 22 | Fort +9, Reflex +13, Will +11 | Perception +11 (E), Deception +9 (E), Stealth +13 (E)

Merisiel fills in Sebnet on the bits she understands. The statues had some sort of hard outer shell, it broke pretty quickly and we took them down without too much trouble.. The marks on their heads animating them were, I think, recent. It looks like someone has been poking around in there. Have there been any recent visitors, maybe out of town Pathfinders?


NG Human Cleric 5 | HP: 48/48 | F9 R9 W13 | Perception +13 | AC 22 |

Given that you didn't know about any animated statues, I would imagine that they were probably set here by whoever took the folios probably left them here as a deterrent. The real question is - did the thief take the Nexian Oozecrafting and Karina Nepushar's documents on purpose, or did they just grab too much?

Kyra then turns and mutters under her breath, This is "going to get a bottle of wine for Drendle Dreng" all over again.


Maps and Handouts

Sebnet gives a chuckle when she overhears Kyra’s mutter about Drandle Drang and the bottle of wine. “Read about that in the Chronicles.”

Scratching her chin in thought, she continues, “Hmm, sounds like a theft, and the statues were left as a distraction. But what was the target and what was just swept up accidentally? Best course of action is to hit the streets of Quantium to find out whether anyone might have tried to sell the folio, perhaps not recognizing its unique value to the Pathfinder Society, or knowing the value but attempting to sell it without drawing attention. You might also inquire about the markings on the statues, and ask around about oozes.”

“Before you head out, give me a few moments to pen some letters of introduction that might help when you talk to people.” She beckons over scribes and dictates a letter, and she then signs and seals them, before handing them over. She gives you 4 such letters. While investigating, you can expend a letter prior to making a skill check to gain a +2 circumstance bonus to that check.

Overall this investigation uses another set of skill checks, depending on what leads you want to follow. I’ll summarize them below and you can decide how you want to proceed. As part of the new system, these are secret checks made by me, although you can aid, and that roll you can make yourself. Each check and accompanying canvassing takes 1d4 hours. So let me know where you want to start, and a general order, and as you learn things you can revise steps. Also, results of checks might open new areas to investigate.

If the you want to learn more about the markings on the animated statues, their investigations lead them to the pedantic wizard-tutors of Quantium. These wizards know quite a bit about golem-crafting, and can expound—unfortunately, at tiresome length—about this topic. Arcana

If you seek information about Durvin Gest generally, or the Open Road Pact specifically, most avenues of inquiry point them back to Nexus House. The difficulty of this line of inquiry is learning who else in Quantium might have expressed an interest in this topic other than the Pathfinder Society. Diplomacy (Gather Information),Pathfinder Society Lore, or Society

Search around about who may have a sudden influx of information regarding oozes. Occultism


Female Elf Rogue 5 HP 56/56 | AC 22 | Fort +9, Reflex +13, Will +11 | Perception +11 (E), Deception +9 (E), Stealth +13 (E)

Merisiel spends some time asking around Nexus House for information on Durvin Gest and the Open Road Pact.

Society: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11


Maps and Handouts

Sorry - maybe it wasn't clear - these are secret checks so they'll be made by me. I just need to know who is doing what and if you are working together to aid or separately.


NG Human Cleric 5 | HP: 48/48 | F9 R9 W13 | Perception +13 | AC 22 |

Kyra is happy to also ask around to see if anyone has heard of any else who might have been asking around about this topic.

I'll be using Diplomacy to gather info.


Female Elf Rogue 5 HP 56/56 | AC 22 | Fort +9, Reflex +13, Will +11 | Perception +11 (E), Deception +9 (E), Stealth +13 (E)

Aah, OK, in which case I will just be making he Society check, I am rubbish at the rest and DC20 to assist makes it too likely I will crit fail. I am more than happy for you to roll my check given I got a 3 :)


CN Goblin (Charhide) Alchemist 5 HP: 56/56 | AC: 22 | F: 11 R: 13 W: 7 | Per: 7 | Stealth: 13 | Speed: 25 ft | Active Conditions: ---

"I am definitely going to need one of those. I still get nasty looks." Fumbus grumbles.

My Society/PFS Lore is +11 so I will take that but then again we have a lot there too but my other two are +4.


Maps and Handouts

feel free to take care of any healing you want to do before you hit the streets of Quantium.


Maps and Handouts

You hit the streets looking to follow up on the few leads you have.

GM Screen:

Kyra Gather Info: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16

Fumbus PF Lore w/ letter: 1d20 + 11 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 11 + 2 = 27

Merisiel Society: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28

1d4 ⇒ 2

Ezren Arcana w/ letter: 1d20 + 13 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 13 + 2 = 18

1d4 ⇒ 4

Merisiel uses her back alley contacts to learn that alchemist siblings named the Ohrlavis have been looking to quietly sell off a folio of Pathfinder lore called the Open Road Pact. The Ohrlavis haven’t been successful, however, as the work is so obscure to be considered a fake (or at least suspect).

Ezren gets stuck listening to a fellow wizard drone on about golem construction for hours, but leaves with no information to aid the investigation.

Ohrlavis seem an obvious target, so you work to find them . . .

GM Screen:

Kyra Gather Info: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26

Fumbus Crafting w/ letter: 1d20 + 14 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 14 + 2 = 32

Merisiel Crafting: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25

Ezren Crafting w/ letter: 1d20 + 11 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 11 + 2 = 17

1d4 ⇒ 2

Fumbus is able to use his alchemical proficiency to open some mouths about the twins. He gains reliable descriptions of Bijan and Zaynap Ohrlavi. In addition, you learn they seem to be operating out of an abandoned apothecary shop called Wishful Cures. A particularly helpful fellow alchemist and Goblin shopkeeper plus a shopkeeper informs Fumbus that he sold the Ohrlavis a few nozzles specifically designed to spray acid. This shopkeeper even shows him an example.


NG Human Cleric 5 | HP: 48/48 | F9 R9 W13 | Perception +13 | AC 22 |

Okay, so before we hit the streets, I'll treat the wounds of Merisiel and Ezren. Not that we're super pressed for time, but this would only take 10 minutes because I can Treat Wounds two people at once thanks to Ward Medic. The number of hit points I have to heal is a little awkward, but I'll increase the DC by 5 to heal 10 more hit points.
Medicine 20: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (13) + 13 = 26
Merisiel's Healing: 2d8 + 10 ⇒ (3, 2) + 10 = 15
Ezren's Healing: 2d8 + 10 ⇒ (6, 4) + 10 = 20
They should both be back to full.

Before everyone runs out, Kyra takes over a table and two chairs and gets Merisiel and Ezren to sit down. A couple of prayers to Sarenrae here, a large amount of gauze there, and the two of them are as healthy as they ever were.


Female Elf Rogue 5 HP 56/56 | AC 22 | Fort +9, Reflex +13, Will +11 | Perception +11 (E), Deception +9 (E), Stealth +13 (E)

Thanks for that

Well, it looks like we have a lead. Can anyone provide any protection from acid? It seems that these two like uusing it

Grand Lodge

HP 53/53 | AC 20 | F +10 R +12 W +11 | Perc +9 | Stealth +10 | speed 25ft | focus 1/1 |Hero Points 1/3 | Active Conditions: ---

Ezren nods to Kyra in thanks for her divine healing. When Merisiel asks about acid, the wizard grumbles a little. "No no I cannot, If given infinite time I could come up with something, but at the moment, no. Maybe we can ask the alchemist for potions?"


CN Goblin (Charhide) Alchemist 5 HP: 56/56 | AC: 22 | F: 11 R: 13 W: 7 | Per: 7 | Stealth: 13 | Speed: 25 ft | Active Conditions: ---

"Oh yeah. I have some that can help your wounds heal but nothing to...stop acid." Fumbus offers. I can make some Lesser Elixirs of Life.


NG Human Cleric 5 | HP: 48/48 | F9 R9 W13 | Perception +13 | AC 22 |

"Alas, I did not ask Sarenrae today for help protecting against acid. If we need to rest before heading out I can ask Sarenrae for new spells, but one casting will not cover all of us. Perhaps this is more of the situation of 'run in now, heal it up later'."


Maps and Handouts

Wishful Cures was an apothecary shop near the docks of Quantium. The shop’s facade has been defaced with graffiti, its windows are all broken, and its wares are plainly plundered. The door itself seems bolted shut.

You can either Force Open the bolted door with an Athletics check or climb in through a broken window to unbolt the door from the other side. To climb in through a window, you need an Acrobatics check to avoid the broken glass.


Female Elf Rogue 5 HP 56/56 | AC 22 | Fort +9, Reflex +13, Will +11 | Perception +11 (E), Deception +9 (E), Stealth +13 (E)

Merisiel takes the lead on this one. She quickly hops through the windo, wary for possible dangers or enemies to unslip the bolt.

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (18) + 14 = 32


CN Goblin (Charhide) Alchemist 5 HP: 56/56 | AC: 22 | F: 11 R: 13 W: 7 | Per: 7 | Stealth: 13 | Speed: 25 ft | Active Conditions: ---

"Wait for me!" Fumbus says leaping through after her like a green mortar.

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (7) + 11 = 18


Maps and Handouts

Fumbus bounces off the window frame, and once he has his bearing again, Merisiel has already unbolted and opened the door.

Behind the shop’s wooden counter is a trapdoor. The trapdoor’s hinges are well-oiled and show signs of regular use. It leads to the shop’s stone-lined basement, which from the smell that wafts up suggests it connects to Quantium’s sewer.

As you enter the basement, please let me know what you are doing for Exploration mode. New map is up on slides.

The basement of Wishful Cures is a jumble of boxes and crates, most of them left ajar, and heaps of yellowed papers and dried herbs scattered across the floor. The air contains a sour, chemical smell emanating from an opening in the far wall of the closet to the south.


CN Goblin (Charhide) Alchemist 5 HP: 56/56 | AC: 22 | F: 11 R: 13 W: 7 | Per: 7 | Stealth: 13 | Speed: 25 ft | Active Conditions: ---

Fumbus sits on the ground dizzy with stars in his eyes for a moment.

"Good thing we have big bony heads! Well constructed window..." he says laughing as he looks back wistfully at the window that bested him.

One day...I am going to come back and jump through you...then blow you up.

Once inside he starts to dig through the alchemical supplies still around and tries to find clues...or new formulas.

Investigate.


NG Human Cleric 5 | HP: 48/48 | F9 R9 W13 | Perception +13 | AC 22 |

Praise Sarenrae that they didn't need me bust down the door. I was not looking forward to that.

Kyra makes her way down the stairs, keeping her eye out for danger.

Grand Lodge

HP 53/53 | AC 20 | F +10 R +12 W +11 | Perc +9 | Stealth +10 | speed 25ft | focus 1/1 |Hero Points 1/3 | Active Conditions: ---

Ezren cautiously follows his fellows, as he walks he mutters the magical words of rote to reveal any magic that may be in the area.

Detecting Magic


Female Elf Rogue 5 HP 56/56 | AC 22 | Fort +9, Reflex +13, Will +11 | Perception +11 (E), Deception +9 (E), Stealth +13 (E)

Merisiel will take the lead, flitting from shadow to shadow to keep a low profile.

Merisiel is avoiding notice and will therefore use stealth for initiative if it occurs (which is +13). She has trapfinding so automatically gets a chance to detect them even if not searching with a +1 bonus


Maps and Handouts

The basement of Wishful Cures is a jumble of boxes and crates, most of them left ajar, and heaps of yellowed papers and dried herbs scattered across the floor. The air contains a sour, chemical smell emanating from an opening in the far wall of the closet to the south.

Ezren detects something magical in what seems to be a discarded illustrated encyclopedia of medicinal berries. On further investigation there is a ring hidden within the spine of the book. Let me know if you want to take 10 mins to ID it.

Fumbus notices one of the nozzles the alchemist had shown him, and Merisiel is able to swiftly disable the acid spray trap.

Let me know what you are doing for light because it is dark here.

Moving south through the opening, you enter the sewers of Quantium. Initially it comes to your knees and you have to wade, when you come to choice. To the west it opens up into a larger, constructed chamber with paved sides that get you out of the muck, or you can continue south in the knee deep much in what appears to be a more natural cavern.


Female Elf Rogue 5 HP 56/56 | AC 22 | Fort +9, Reflex +13, Will +11 | Perception +11 (E), Deception +9 (E), Stealth +13 (E)

We should probably check out what this is, I think we probably have time

As they head down into the dark Merisiel will light a torch. She travels with her rapier in the other hand. Given its hard to stealth while carrying a burning torch she switches to scouting for the group.

Everyone gets +1 init if combat breaks out

Lets go west, it at least gets us out of this muck she mutters.


Maps and Handouts

just need confirm from Ezren on the ID, and for the team to pick a direction to travel

Grand Lodge

HP 53/53 | AC 20 | F +10 R +12 W +11 | Perc +9 | Stealth +10 | speed 25ft | focus 1/1 |Hero Points 1/3 | Active Conditions: ---

Sorry been a bit of a week, Back at it now

Moving deeper into the darkness Ezren diverts a minuscule amount of power to create a hover orb of light. Light Cantrip When he finds the magical ring he calls out to his party "Hold, I have found something. Please stand watch while I determine what this is." he spends his time deciphering the magic of the item.

That done he follows Merisiel's advice and goes west.

Thank you, Now I have pet shop boys in my head.


Maps and Handouts

GM Screen:

1d20 + 13 ⇒ (13) + 13 = 26

Perhaps clued in by the fact that the ring looks like a ram's head, Ezren is able to determine that he's found a ring of the ram

ring of the ram details:

This heavy iron ring is shaped to look like the head of a ram, with curling horns.

Activate [[Single Action or more (Interact)]]; Frequency once per minute; Effect A ram-shaped blast of force slams into one foe that you can see within 60 feet. The number of actions you spend to Activate this Item (from 1 to 3) determines the intensity of the force. The blow deals 2d6 force damage per action spent and pushes the target 5 feet per action spent. The target must attempt a DC 22 Fortitude save.

Critical Success The target is unaffected.
Success The target takes half damage and is pushed half the distance.
Failure The target takes full damage and is pushed the full distance.
Critical Failure The target takes double damage and is pushed twice the distance.

51 to 81 of 81 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Sparrowhawk's Origin of the Open Road [Gameday VIII] All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.