Dungeon Master S's "The Fall of Plaguestone"

Game Master Chris Marsh

TACTICAL MAP |STRATEGIC MAPS
HANDOUTS | CAMPAIGN RECORDS | DRAMATIS PERSONAE | LOCATIONS

Default Exploration Mode:

[dice=Hostiles]d20[/dice]
[dice=Penryn]d20+7[/dice] ()
[dice=Cilik]d20+5[/dice] Perception (T)
[dice=Lucky]d20+7[/dice] Avoid Notice (T)
[dice=Jasper]d20+7[/dice] Cover Tracks (T)
[dice=Elvanthain]d20[/dice] ???
[dice=Blodgett]d20+4[/dice] Sense Direction (T)

*If you do not make a specific post (with referenced skill and modifier) this will be the assumed action and initiative roll.

Perception:

[dice=Kaleb]d20+7[/dice] (E)
[dice=Penryn]d20+7[/dice] (E)
[dice=Cilik]d20+5[/dice] (T)
[dice=Blodgett]d20+6[/dice] (T)
[dice=Jasper]d20+7[/dice] (T)
[dice=Elvanthain]d20[/dice] ???


401 to 450 of 562 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>
Horizon Hunters

M Halfling Investigator 1 | HP 14 | AC 17 | Fort +3 | Ref +8 | Will +7 | Perc +7

Stopping short, Penryn mutters, "Wow, he's a real jerk." He studies the rigged boards a moment, then tries to shift a few to brace the weakened patch.

Thievery: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12


M Halfling Brb1 | HP 18/20 | AC 18 | Fort +7 Refl +5 Will +6 | Perc +6 | Speed 25

Coulda told ya that, Blodgett mutters from up top.

Horizon Hunters

M Halfling Investigator 1 | HP 14 | AC 17 | Fort +3 | Ref +8 | Will +7 | Perc +7

With a quiet chuckle at Blodgett's comment, Penryn studies his handiwork. Unconvinced that it's stable enough yet, he wedges a couple more boards in place, then gives a satisfied nod.

Moving cautiously in case he's misjudged it, he continues to sneak through the crawlway, eyes peeled for more surprises.

Thievery: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23


M Halfling Cleric | HP 13/15 | AC 16 | Fort +4 | Ref +6 | Will +9 | Perc +7 | Speed 25 (35 while mounted) | Conditions -

Survival: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26

Jasper takes a look at the tracks. "You know that trail that leads up to the front door? The tracks actually never go through it. How odd."

When his cousin muses about Hallod, he says, "It's possible he just wants to be left alone. This place is definitely not welcoming, so it does the job there."

He then waits as Penny does his thing.


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Fall of Plaguestone | Skull & Shackles |

Penryn grabs some refuse and jams the mechanism. He's confident that the others can crawl through safely.

For overcoming the hazard, each intrepid hero earns 40 XP.

Beyond the turn, the crawlway continues for another 10 feet before opening up into a small chamber that appears to have once been a closet. The door leaving the space is barred by debris on the other side and cannot be opened, but there is a hatch built into the floor. It is very old, but free from debris and dust. The hatch is not locked, but the hinge is terribly rusted.


S Halfling Thief | Hp 16/16 | AC 17 | F 14 (T), R 19 (E), W 17 (E) | Perception +7 (E)

Kaleb crawls along, upon seeing the hinge Kaleb starts to reach for his pack before remembering he's packed torches, and not oil.


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Fall of Plaguestone | Skull & Shackles |

Correction. I gave adversary XP, not Hazard XP. Disabling that trap nets each hero 8 XP


M Halfling Cleric | HP 13/15 | AC 16 | Fort +4 | Ref +6 | Will +9 | Perc +7 | Speed 25 (35 while mounted) | Conditions -

"Can I come in yet? What's the hold up?"

Horizon Hunters

1 person marked this as a favorite.
M Halfling Investigator 1 | HP 14 | AC 17 | Fort +3 | Ref +8 | Will +7 | Perc +7

Checked all the character sheets, none of us has oil - but because we all purchased the same equipment kit, every one of us has soap.

Penryn backs away from the hatch, saying quietly, "We gotta oil the hinges on that thing, anyone have any oil?" He scans the faces of his companions as they all look down or at each other, then mutters, "Nobody? Well, I suppose I didn't remember to pack any either...what else could we use?"

He digs quickly through his backpack and pulls out a bar of rather abrasive-looking soap that has seen limited use. Pouring a few drops from his waterskin onto the soap, he works it in his hand until he's got a thick lather on it. Moving back to the hatch, he very carefully thins the lather with some more water and drips it onto the hinges, hoping to make it move a bit more quietly.

Thievery a la Disable Device?: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11

Grand Archive

M Halfling evoker | HP 14 | AC 15 | Fort +5 | Ref +5 | Will +7 | Perc +5 (Keen Eyes) | Speed 25

Cilik uses his attunement to magic to detect for its presence.

"wait you want grease? I can produce grease but it might be a bit more than you were hoping for? would you like me to try?


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Fall of Plaguestone | Skull & Shackles |

Penryn, proud of his idea opens the hatch without an issue. It's quiet too... until he just about lets it go, when it screeches like all get out!

Under the hatch is a stone-lined chute that descends into pitch black darkness. Handholds have been carved into the chute though.

For finding your way into the secret hideout each hero earns 30 xp.

Horizon Hunters

M Halfling Investigator 1 | HP 14 | AC 17 | Fort +3 | Ref +8 | Will +7 | Perc +7

"Good idea, Cilik," Penryn replies, "I should have waited for it..."

He then steps away from the stone chute and gestures to Blodgett, saying, "Care to lead the way?"

Grand Archive

M Halfling evoker | HP 14 | AC 15 | Fort +5 | Ref +5 | Will +7 | Perc +5 (Keen Eyes) | Speed 25

"Hold on a moment. let me try something."
Cilik grade a small rock from the pile of junk and whispers a few words and a wave of his hand it starts to glow like a torch. He then whispers a few more words and a pail ghostly hand appears out of know where.
"Hand, would you mind taking this rock and going down that there hole?... of course you don't you aren't real and you will do whatever i say whether you like it or not."
as the hand holding the rock moves down the chute, the mage looks at the rest of the group."shall we then?"
casts light and mage hand and sends it down the hole. he will sustain it as long as needed but it will slow him down a tad.


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Fall of Plaguestone | Skull & Shackles |

It looks like the chute goes down 30' before turning into a tunnel which leads east. The handholds seem to make for easy work all the way down to the bottom. A short hallway that leads to a wooden door is all you can see.


M Halfling Brb1 | HP 18/20 | AC 18 | Fort +7 Refl +5 Will +6 | Perc +6 | Speed 25

Might as well, Blodgett says, eyeing the handholds before beginnning his descent.
Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Fall of Plaguestone | Skull & Shackles |

Blodgett gets to the bottom with no issues. It appears the trapped defenses don't continue here.

The door is shut, but not locked.


S Halfling Thief | Hp 16/16 | AC 17 | F 14 (T), R 19 (E), W 17 (E) | Perception +7 (E)

Kaleb continues to linger towards the back, being as silent as he can.

Horizon Hunters

M Halfling Investigator 1 | HP 14 | AC 17 | Fort +3 | Ref +8 | Will +7 | Perc +7

Penny follows Blodgett down, slipping a dagger from his belt as he waits for the door to be opened.


M Halfling Brb1 | HP 18/20 | AC 18 | Fort +7 Refl +5 Will +6 | Perc +6 | Speed 25

Once everyone makes it down the ladder, Blodgett opens the door, greataxe in hand.


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Fall of Plaguestone | Skull & Shackles |

The old wooden door swings open on rusted hinges, revealing a room lit by a single, flickering torch. Through the gloom you see piles of small crates and more than a few barrels stacked up haphazardly on the south side of the room. Opposite you is a stout wooden door with iron bands, while the north side of the room is bare save for an iron gate set into the middle of the wall. The stench of smoke and damp dog hangs heavy in the air.

The floor before you is covered in grease. Before you can take it all in, the gate to the north begins to rise! The dogs will be able to get out this round, but it'll take an action to squeeze through.

Hostiles: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24
Penryn: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27 ()
Cilik: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15 Perception (T)
Lucky: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20 Avoid Notice (T)
Jasper: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24 Cover Tracks (T)
Elvanthain: 1d20 ⇒ 3 ???
Blodgett: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18

Round 1:
Penryn: Go
Jasper: Go

Dogs: TBD
Kaleb: TBD
Blodgett: TBD
Cilik: TBD
Elvanthain: TBD

Horizon Hunters

M Halfling Investigator 1 | HP 14 | AC 17 | Fort +3 | Ref +8 | Will +7 | Perc +7

Reluctant to charge into a room with a greasy floor and a quartet of large dogs, Penryn waits for his friends to advance.

Taking one action to delay.


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Fall of Plaguestone | Skull & Shackles |

Penryn delays a bit. The dogs escape their kennel, backing furiously at the edge of the grease!

Round 1:

Dogs: Bork!
Penryn: 2 Actions
Jasper: Go
Kaleb: Go
Blodgett: Go
Cilik: Go
Elvanthain: Go

Horizon Hunters

M Halfling Investigator 1 | HP 14 | AC 17 | Fort +3 | Ref +8 | Will +7 | Perc +7

Coming out of delay.

"Well, if you're going to sit there and bark," Penryn remarks mildly, "I might just put some arrows in you." He slips his dagger back into its sheath, and shrugs his bow off his shoulder.

One action to sheathe dagger, another to draw bow.

Grand Archive

M Halfling evoker | HP 14 | AC 15 | Fort +5 | Ref +5 | Will +7 | Perc +5 (Keen Eyes) | Speed 25

Cilik ponders the situation... "Maybe they are just hungry?"


M Halfling Brb1 | HP 18/20 | AC 18 | Fort +7 Refl +5 Will +6 | Perc +6 | Speed 25

Dogs're here to alert someone. Trained to avoid the grease, Blodgett growls. Let's see who comes runnin'. He puts his greataxe away and draws his bow as well, loosing a warning shot at Red, thinking if it misses it might land in the door beyond.
shortbow: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7
piercing: 1d6 ⇒ 5
His shot falls well short of the mark, and he looks over his shoulder at Lucky. Stop crowdin' me.


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Fall of Plaguestone | Skull & Shackles |

Blodgett's arrow is way off target, and it seems to only anger the dogs, who now seem much more willing to risk the grease.

Round 1:

Dogs: Bork!
Penryn: Switch hit
Jasper: Go
Kaleb: Go

Blodgett: Miss
Cilik: Go
Elvanthain: Go


S Halfling Thief | Hp 16/16 | AC 17 | F 14 (T), R 19 (E), W 17 (E) | Perception +7 (E)

Kaleb looks back "Lets not all get bunched up in here..."

Kaleb then draws his second favorite fork and does his best to deftly slide into the room.

Reflex?: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14

If Kaleb makes it...

Kaleb plunches his fork into the white dog's side.

stabbing: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13
damage: 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Fall of Plaguestone | Skull & Shackles |

Kaleb slides through the grease. He nearly topples, but keeps it together until the last second. Unfortunately his stab is just a hair off target!

Round 1:

Dogs: Bork!
Penryn: Switch hit
Jasper: Go
Kaleb: Miss
Blodgett: Miss
Cilik: Go
Elvanthain: Go


M Halfling Cleric | HP 13/15 | AC 16 | Fort +4 | Ref +6 | Will +9 | Perc +7 | Speed 25 (35 while mounted) | Conditions -

"Why?! Blodgett, why? Don't anger them. They're just doing their duty," Jasper chastises the barbarian... and then watches Kaleb and groans.

He strides forward, pulling out his mace. "Get back, doggie! Back, back," the animal lover shouts, hoping to demoralize the dogs enough that they don't attack.
Intimidation (Demoralize) vs Red: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Fall of Plaguestone | Skull & Shackles |

Jasper's words don't translate well Without a feat you take a -4 if there's a language barrier.!

Round 1:

Dogs: Bork!
Penryn: Switch hit
Jasper: 1 Action
Kaleb: Miss
Blodgett: Miss
Cilik: Go
Elvanthain: Go


M | M Elf Alchemist 1| hp 14/14| | AC 16 | Fort +5 Ref+7 Will +5 | Perc +5 |Speed 35

Elvantain pulls out his crossbow and shoots at red

crossbow: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18
damage: 1d8 ⇒ 7


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Fall of Plaguestone | Skull & Shackles |

Strictly speaking, Elvanthain is hanging out on the ladder to get in. If a space clears up he can drop and shoot.

Round 1:

Dogs: Bork!
Penryn: Switch hit
Jasper: Enter the fracas
Kaleb: Miss
Blodgett: Miss
Cilik: GO
Elvanthain: Pending

Grand Archive

M Halfling evoker | HP 14 | AC 15 | Fort +5 | Ref +5 | Will +7 | Perc +5 (Keen Eyes) | Speed 25

Cilik wonders why the dogs stop at the grease... He throws caution to the wind and casts a spell the expands the grease on the floor to where the dogs are positioned.

[ooc]if this is not allowed, he will delay.[/dice]


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Fall of Plaguestone | Skull & Shackles |

Looks like you can't as you need two hands.

The traffic jam prevents Cilik and Elvanthain from getting into the action. The dogs respond to the violence, and no longer seem deterred from the grease. One closes with Blodgett, two more go after Kaleb!

Grey: step, step, bite The dog steps forward slowly, having encountered this hazard before, and bites at the barbarian Bite: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25 for DMG: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

The two who close on Kaleb gnash and tear at the halfling.
White Bite 1: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12 MISS
White Bite 2: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20 for DMG: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
White Bite 3: 1d20 - 4 ⇒ (5) - 4 = 1 MISS
Red Bite 1: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13 MISS
Red Bite 2: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18 for DMG: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

Round 2:
Dogs: Bork and bite!
Penryn: Go
Jasper: Go
Kaleb: Go
Blodgett: Go
Cilik: GO
Elvanthain: Go

Grand Archive

M Halfling evoker | HP 14 | AC 15 | Fort +5 | Ref +5 | Will +7 | Perc +5 (Keen Eyes) | Speed 25

if there is room, cilik will move down the ladder. If he can't move he does nothing...

Horizon Hunters

M Halfling Investigator 1 | HP 14 | AC 17 | Fort +3 | Ref +8 | Will +7 | Perc +7

True to his word, Penryn studies his target a moment, then raises his bow and a lets fly an arrow, followed by another! "We gotta take that dog out so we're not all bottled up in this hallway! The way this place is trapped, a giant ball of stone is gonna come rolling down the hallway and smoosh us all!"

One action to Hunt Prey, designating Grey as target. Attack with flurry.

Shortbow attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16
Shortbow damage: 1d6 ⇒ 4

Shortbow attack 2, MAP, Flurry: 1d20 + 7 - 3 ⇒ (16) + 7 - 3 = 20
Shortbow damage: 1d6 ⇒ 5

DM - I'll let you decide if they have Cover or Lesser Cover, as described here, as I don't yet have a good sense of where the lines are on this.


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Fall of Plaguestone | Skull & Shackles |

Blocked by a creature is specifically called out as lesser cover, so I'll go with that.

Penryn sinks two arrows into the dog's neck and chest. With a final snarl it falls!

Round 2:
Dogs: Bork and bite!
Penryn: Kill
Jasper: Go
Kaleb: Go
Blodgett: Go
Cilik: GO
Elvanthain: Go


M Halfling Cleric | HP 13/15 | AC 16 | Fort +4 | Ref +6 | Will +9 | Perc +7 | Speed 25 (35 while mounted) | Conditions -

Jasper winces. "Try to only knock them out please!"
He says this knowing full well that he's likely to be ignored.

He then whispers a prayer to Erastil before invoking divine power to deter attackers. With a gesture at dog he can see, he fills the animals mind with mental jolt!
Daze, basic Will DC 17. 4 damage. Fail means they are flat-footed. Crit fail is Slowed 1.
He also casts Vibrant Thorns


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Fall of Plaguestone | Skull & Shackles |

Will: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24 Jasper takes a more magnanimous approach, though the spell fails to have an effect.

The traffic jam continues as Kaleb finds himself alone with a pack of dogs.

Round 2:
Dogs: Bork and bite!
Penryn: Kill
Jasper: Magic!
Kaleb: Go
Blodgett: Go
Cilik: GO
Elvanthain: Go


M | M Elf Alchemist 1| hp 14/14| | AC 16 | Fort +5 Ref+7 Will +5 | Perc +5 |Speed 35

Stuck on the ladder, Elvanthain holds until room appears below


M Halfling Brb1 | HP 18/20 | AC 18 | Fort +7 Refl +5 Will +6 | Perc +6 | Speed 25

Blodgett drops his bow and pulls out his maul. If I put 'em to sleep for a long, long time, that okay with you and your bleedin' heart? Blodgett asks Jasper, not waiting for a response before moving into the grease.

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13 Welp.

Assuming that fails, Blodgett will use his last action to Stand.


M Halfling Brb1 | HP 18/20 | AC 18 | Fort +7 Refl +5 Will +6 | Perc +6 | Speed 25

Managing to keep his feet, Blodgett takes a swing at Blue.
Strike: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20
bludgeoning: 1d12 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Fall of Plaguestone | Skull & Shackles |

Blodgett slides across the grease, barely holding on to his balance. on the far side he brings his weapon down, shattering the dog's skull!

Round 2:
Dogs: Bork and bite!
Penryn: Kill
Jasper: Magic!
Kaleb: Go
Blodgett: Kill
Cilik: Go
Elvanthain: Go


M | M Elf Alchemist 1| hp 14/14| | AC 16 | Fort +5 Ref+7 Will +5 | Perc +5 |Speed 35

Elvanthain takes an action to go down the ladder to the safe spot and takes a shot at blue.

crossbow: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15


S Halfling Thief | Hp 16/16 | AC 17 | F 14 (T), R 19 (E), W 17 (E) | Perception +7 (E)

Kaleb steps back so that he can keep all the giant bloodthirsty halfling eating dire wolves in in front of him as he tries to fend them off before scurrying to the far corner.

stabbing red: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16
damage: 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

more stabbing red: 1d20 + 7 - 4 ⇒ (10) + 7 - 4 = 13
damage: 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

Will stab white with the second if red goes down from the first.


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Fall of Plaguestone | Skull & Shackles |

Kaleb turns into a one halfling wrecking crew. He quickly drops one dog and gives the other something to remember him by!

Meanwhile Elvanthain strides into the opening, and lets fly Blue is dead, moving to White 1d8 ⇒ 4. the bolt sticks in the dog's shoulder, and the blood loss is too much, felling the final dog!

For surviving the pack of feral dogs, each hero earns 120 XP!


M Halfling Cleric | HP 13/15 | AC 16 | Fort +4 | Ref +6 | Will +9 | Perc +7 | Speed 25 (35 while mounted) | Conditions -

Jasper rushes forward, looking to help keep the animals from death's door. He prays to Erastil, clasping hands as he invokes his god's power.
Cast Stabilize on each of the dogs

He then crouches over each, checking for vital signs.

Horizon Hunters

M Halfling Investigator 1 | HP 14 | AC 17 | Fort +3 | Ref +8 | Will +7 | Perc +7

Penryn moves down the hall and carefully across the patch of grease, observing his cousin tending to the wounded dogs. The number of junkyard dogs I've had to deal with, four more hardly matter. But I think I'll keep that to myself, rather than further ruining Jasper's day.

He steps next to a stack of crates and begins searching through them, saying, "Whoever is here - or is it whomever? I can never remember. Anyway, whether it's Hallod or someone else, they sure know we're here by know, might as well search around a bit and learn what we can about what they're up to."


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Fall of Plaguestone | Skull & Shackles |

Jasper quickly moves to the dying dogs and stabilizes them. The party looks around and there are plenty of boxes, nooks, and crannies to check.

Currently everyone except Elvanthain has a listed default for exploration mode. Let me know if that changes. Additionally, you can still stop and look around making other checks as needed.

Horizon Hunters

M Halfling Investigator 1 | HP 14 | AC 17 | Fort +3 | Ref +8 | Will +7 | Perc +7

Penryn checks boxes! In one sense of that phrase.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24

401 to 450 of 562 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Dungeon Master S's "The Fall of Plaguestone" All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.