The Precipice and The End of an Age

Game Master TheMightyAtom


101 to 149 of 149 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>

Vigilante 1 (Werebat Form) | HP 9 | AC: 16, T: 13, FF: 13| Fort: +1, Ref: +5 , Will: +2 | CMD: 12, | Init: +5 | Perception: +4 (+6 at night)| SM: +4

Julian shifts in his seat uncomfortably and says, ”Well, tonight or tomorrow night would work best for me anyway Father. Tonight might be to soon but I already have an excuse for being away from home so my mom won’t be suspicious and and I’ve got work during the days... Julian trails off and his mouth hangs open for a second while he counts with his fingers. He looks up at Berto and says, ”That’s $250,000! I wouldn’t even have to work at all!” He looks around at the others shocked and just leans back in a slight stupor.


INACTIVE

"$25,000 by my calculations. Still a pretty good chunk of change, but maybe don't quit your day job." Not that Alex was one to talk, the Riot Crew were her day job.

Turning back to Berto, she raises an eyebrow. "Yes, I do tend to take things that can kill me seriously. Okay. Creepy mind-altering fungus just wants some friends, I can deal with that. The amoeba we're capturing is closest to vegetable on the intelligence scale, so probably don't have to worry about ambushes. As for the time frame, I'm fine with doing this tonight. Get it over with, right? Unless people have some preparations they need to make."


Vigilante 1 (Werebat Form) | HP 9 | AC: 16, T: 13, FF: 13| Fort: +1, Ref: +5 , Will: +2 | CMD: 12, | Init: +5 | Perception: +4 (+6 at night)| SM: +4

”What? $25,000? I was sure I had it right...Well, that’s still more money than I’ve ever had at one time.” The words are positive but you can hear the deflation as he thinks he’s just lost almost a quarter million dollars. ”Anyway, do we need to do more recon? Do we want more information about this Blaze company? Also, do we have that fancy weapon with us now or do we need to pick it up?”


INACTIVE

"Er...wait, sorry. You were right, Julian. I, uh, forgot the conversion rates there for a second."

Probably because my brain couldn't process the idea that they're going to pay us $250,000 for one job!

Alex, having never before earned more than $20,000 in a single year, drifts off into daydreams about all the shiny, shiny things she'll be able to afford.

...I am totally buying that awesome sniper rifle. With a scope. A night-vision scope!


Fighter 1 | HP 16/16 | AC: 18, T: 14, FF: 14| Fort: +4, Ref: +4, Will: +2 | BAB: +1, CMB: +1, CMD: 15, | Init: +4 | Perception: +7 |

Carnival looked bemused by the excitement over the cash, but didn't seem to share it. "You're still paying the tab, Berto. Don't go trying to give us huge piles of gold and then think we'll let you off."


Human Mageknight 1 | HP 12/12 | F +4 R +2 W +4 (+1 vs magic) | AC 19 T 16 FF 17 CMD 16 | Init: +2 Per.: +3 SM: +2 | Spell Points 4/4 | Sphere DC 12 | Martial Focus 1/1

"Plenty of cash, a straightforward job, friends to do it wif. What more could a guy want?"

Cillian stands up and walks over to Berto, extending his hand. "I fink you have a deal. Let's go save a stupid corporation from their own 'ubris."


Berto stands up and shake’s Cillian’s hand. ”Alright then. If everyone is in agreement, we go tonight.”
After a brief phone call where Berto explains the plan to the customer, you begin to walk out of the bar. The veterans from before have apparently got smashing drunk, and it seems like they might be getting ready to take their three man party home. The animal folk are also getting ready to leave, carrying their catatonic panda buddy on their back. As they stand up all of them begin putting on various accessories (hats, glasses, etc.), and before your eyes the animal forms have faded leaving only the perfect image of a group of drunk human teenagers. The wizard trio seem to be long gone, and Hoodie is nowhere to be seen. Before the group can reach the door, Alex notices the bartender beckon her over.

”The guy in the back wanted me to give this to you.” he whispers as he hands you a note. He then straightens up to yell to Berto: ”Berto! The tab!” Berto wordlessly digs into his pocket and tosses the bartender a gold coin without turning around. ”Keep the change!” he says.
The note is written on a sheet of notebook paper folded in half horizontally. The back has a strange star drawn on the back. A very familiar star. In the inside, written in all caps, is the message:
TONIGHT YOU AVOIDED DANGER.
THERE IS MORE TO COME.
YOU WILL BE LIED TO.
YOU WILL BE ATTACKED.
BE PREPARED.
EXPECT A CALL.

Before you can even consider the note’s meaning, Berto calls the group outside and you all quickly find yourselves shoved into the back of Berto’s van. After a few quick trips to your homes to collect your gear (feel free to add details here), you find yourself driven to the far edge of the city where you find a covered pick up truck parked near the edge of the forest. A trio of men step out. Two are large and intimidating, wearing sunglasses to hide their eyes, while the third is a much smaller man in a polo shirt. He steps up to shake Berto’s hand, to which he eagerly reciprocates.
”This is the crew, huh?” the man says in a nasally voice. His voice does not express doubt so much as it expresses a state of fact. Berto replies back smoothly ”Yup. Best of the best.” ”That remains to be seen.” he says, before walking back to the truck and opening the back. He reaches inside briefly before coming back with the energy rifle.”This button engages the device, then you simply pull the trigger to activate it. It functions much in the same way a self loading rifle does. It can be used 10 times before the battery runs out of charge.” After showing the group how to load and unload the weapon, he hands Berto the rifle along with two more batteries. ”Thirty shots. Hopefully you won’t need any more than that.” He then goes back to the truck and comes back with a small metal box. He demonstrates its function by pressing a button on the top, causing it to expand five times larger, then presses it again to make it shrink again, then opens and closes it. ”The containment field. Self explanatory.” He then hands the box to Berto, then points further into the woods. ”The facility is 1000 yards that way. Any questions?”

After answering any relevant questions, he waves goodbye and he and his guards step into their truck and drive away. Berto hands both rifle and containment field to whoever steps forward to grab them, then waves goodbye as he steps into his van.
”When the job is done, call me.” he smiles and gives you an encouraging thumbs up before driving off, leaving you all to your job.

When the building comes into view, you’ll be on the side of the building that leads to room 7. You’ll have to walk around to get to the other door.


Fighter 1 | HP 16/16 | AC: 18, T: 14, FF: 14| Fort: +4, Ref: +4, Will: +2 | BAB: +1, CMB: +1, CMD: 15, | Init: +4 | Perception: +7 |

The stop at Carnival's home was short, and sweet. The extent of the costume change was to walk in, put his jacket on a hook, grab something off the table by the door and pop it in his ear - a Bluetooth headset - and return to the van. One might say it was an utter waste of time, but Carnival apparently considered it a very nice jacket.

Still, in the van he rolled the black silk shirt sleeves up, revealing his forearms - one covered in tattoos of plantlife with silver running through them in intruiging glints and gleams, and a second set on the other that was only partially complete.

After a moment he breathed out, slowly, and ribbons of light flickered around his hands before hardening into gleaming plates of...something. Flexing his fingers out for a moment, Carnival smiled and reached up for his glasses.

For anyone seeing his eyes for the first time, or the second or third for that matter, it was probably a freaky experience. The 'whites' of his eyes were entirely blue instead, even in the dim light of the fan, and his iris was the colour of old bronze. His pupils were slits, which widened impressively in the dark van. Cleaning the lenses, he slid them back on and grinned at anyone staring.

----

Meeting the nasally arse, Carnival kept his gob shut for the most part and didn't insult the man with all the money. He did size up the muscled help. Just in case the little runt decided to hold onto there pay later.

But there was one question that needed answering. "Any critical items, systems or creatures that could present a danger to us, or others, in the event of an engagement where they might become harmed or damaged in some way?" His voice held a cool, detached tone, and sounded like this was a standard question he asked often.


Carnival. wrote:

The stop at Carnival's home was short, and sweet. The extent of the costume change was to walk in, put his jacket on a hook, grab something off the table by the door and pop it in his ear - a Bluetooth headset - and return to the van. One might say it was an utter waste of time, but Carnival apparently considered it a very nice jacket.

Still, in the van he rolled the black silk shirt sleeves up, revealing his forearms - one covered in tattoos of plantlife with silver running through them in intruiging glints and gleams, and a second set on the other that was only partially complete.

After a moment he breathed out, slowly, and ribbons of light flickered around his hands before hardening into gleaming plates of...something. Flexing his fingers out for a moment, Carnival smiled and reached up for his glasses.

For anyone seeing his eyes for the first time, or the second or third for that matter, it was probably a freaky experience. The 'whites' of his eyes were entirely blue instead, even in the dim light of the fan, and his iris was the colour of old bronze. His pupils were slits, which widened impressively in the dark van. Cleaning the lenses, he slid them back on and grinned at anyone staring.

----

Meeting the nasally arse, Carnival kept his gob shut for the most part and didn't insult the man with all the money. He did size up the muscled help. Just in case the little runt decided to hold onto there pay later.

But there was one question that needed answering. "Any critical items, systems or creatures that could present a danger to us, or others, in the event of an engagement where they might become harmed or damaged in some way?" His voice held a cool, detached tone, and sounded like this was a standard question he asked often.

The man raises an eyebrow, seemingly surprised at your professionalism. "There is one thing. I've recently received news that explosives have apparently been heard used within the facility. It's possible that this is just unstable ordinance going off, but regardless: know your back stop, and be careful around the south wing of the basement (rooms 6 and 7)."


INACTIVE

Alex frowns as the bartender beckons her over. Hoodie left me a note? What's it going to be, a cheesy pick-up line and a phone number?

It wasn't.

The star...I don't think it's a secret exactly, but I've never seen it before outside my family. How did he...and "avoided danger?" What danger? Is it related to how weird he acted when Berto came in? And why would he care? I've never seen him before in my life. Have I?

Thoroughly distracted by the note, Alex half-heartedly mumbles directions to her basement apartment. Not the roughest area of town, but certainly a bit shabby and run-down, even though her actual apartment was scrupulously clean. She'd already had her pistol and switchblade with her, but needed to pick up her assault rifle, extra ammo, and swap to her studded leather jacket. Right. Note later. Job now. Focus on the job.

-----------------------

By the time they made it to the meeting location, Alex was back to being calm, cool, and professional. She takes the energy rifle from Berto with a nod.

"I've got a couple questions. First, how big is this creature likely to be? Still the same rat-catching size, or might it have grown? Second, what's the range on this gun? Any quirks about it that would be useful to know before firing? Recoil, tends to fire a fraction further left than you'd expect, that sort of thing."


Alex Weir wrote:

Alex frowns as the bartender beckons her over. Hoodie left me a note? What's it going to be, a cheesy pick-up line and a phone number?

It wasn't.

The star...I don't think it's a secret exactly, but I've never seen it before outside my family. How did he...and "avoided danger?" What danger? Is it related to how weird he acted when Berto came in? And why would he care? I've never seen him before in my life. Have I?

Thoroughly distracted by the note, Alex half-heartedly mumbles directions to her basement apartment. Not the roughest area of town, but certainly a bit shabby and run-down, even though her actual apartment was scrupulously clean. She'd already had her pistol and switchblade with her, but needed to pick up her assault rifle, extra ammo, and swap to her studded leather jacket. Right. Note later. Job now. Focus on the job.

-----------------------

By the time they made it to the meeting location, Alex was back to being calm, cool, and professional. She takes the energy rifle from Berto with a nod.

"I've got a couple questions. First, how big is this creature likely to be? Still the same rat-catching size, or might it have grown? Second, what's the range on this gun? Any quirks about it that would be useful to know before firing? Recoil, tends to fire a fraction further left than you'd expect, that sort of thing."

”The specimen will get no larger than three feet in diameter before reproducing. No need to worry: it’s sterile, one of the modifications made to the creature ensures that any time it undergoes mitosis it simply ejects cytoplasm without duplicating any dna.”

”Now, as to the device:”
[list]

  • Name: Amoeba Disruption Rifle (“Oozi”)
  • Damage: 1d8
  • Range: 50 ft.
  • Capacity: 10
  • Damage Type: Sonic
  • Weight: 3 lbs
  • Special: When an ooze is struck by a shot from this weapon, it must make a DC 15 Fortitude save or be stunned for 2d6 rounds.

    ”Projectile deviation and recoil are minimal. Putting it bluntly, it will shoot as straight as you can. That said, you’ll want to aim for the creature’s nucleus: it seems to have a habit of moving erratically.”


  • Fighter 1 | HP 16/16 | AC: 18, T: 14, FF: 14| Fort: +4, Ref: +4, Will: +2 | BAB: +1, CMB: +1, CMD: 15, | Init: +4 | Perception: +7 |

    Carnival looked at the 'Oozi'. He didn't laugh at the name. He did kinda regret not grabbing it now, though.


    M Human Cleric 1 | HP 9/9 | AC 17/12/15 | CMB-1 CMD 11 | F+3 R+2 W+5 | Init +4 | Perc +8 |
    Spells:
    0: Create Water, Light, Mending | 1st: Blessing of the Watch, Protection from Evil + Shield of Faith |
    Julian Jacobs wrote:
    ”That’s $250,000! I wouldn’t even have to work at all!” He looks around at the others shocked and just leans back in a slight stupor.

    "That's going to buy you a lot of brownies," Asher smiled to the younger man. The priest rose with the others and prepared to leave, though not before pausing at the sight of the animal people back in the bar. Much like the Riot Crew they were taking the party elsewhere, but unlike the occult mercenaries (happily) they looked to share about a keg worth's of ethanol between them. Brow crinkled in concern, Asher walked up to them.

    "Excuse me," he said, apologizing for the intrusion, as he laid his hand on the utterly sloshed panda man. Then he repeated Ephesians 5:18 apropos of nothing.

    "And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit."

    A faint glow, like a light bulb underneath the skin, came and dissipated from the hand, and this wasn't the only thing to disappear: every trace of alcohol within the animal man's system vanished. He was completely and painfully sober.

    "I'm sorry. I don't mean to take the fun out of your evening. But your friends have all had a bit too much, and one of you must be responsible, if nothing else than to drive. Please take care of yourself."

    Burning one daily usage of Restorative Touch to remove the panda man's status conditions.

    ----------

    After a quick stop to pick up his armor at the clergy house, one of the older buildings in Portland, Asher was ready to catch a designer bio-weapon. It wasn't how most people spent their Friday night, certainly not most priests, but someone had to do it.


    Father Asher Anderson wrote:
    Julian Jacobs wrote:
    ”That’s $250,000! I wouldn’t even have to work at all!” He looks around at the others shocked and just leans back in a slight stupor.

    "That's going to buy you a lot of brownies," Asher smiled to the younger man. The priest rose with the others and prepared to leave, though not before pausing at the sight of the animal people back in the bar. Much like the Riot Crew they were taking the party elsewhere, but unlike the occult mercenaries (happily) they looked to share about a keg worth's of ethanol between them. Brow crinkled in concern, Asher walked up to them.

    "Excuse me," he said, apologizing for the intrusion, as he laid his hand on the utterly sloshed panda man. Then he repeated Ephesians 5:18 apropos of nothing.

    "And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit."

    A faint glow, like a light bulb underneath the skin, came and dissipated from the hand, and this wasn't the only thing to disappear: every trace of alcohol within the animal man's system vanished. He was completely and painfully sober.

    "I'm sorry. I don't mean to take the fun out of your evening. But your friends have all had a bit too much, and one of you must be responsible, if nothing else than to drive. Please take care of yourself."

    Burning one daily usage of Restorative Touch to remove the panda man's status conditions.

    ----------

    After a quick stop to pick up his armor at the clergy house, one of the older buildings in Portland, Asher was ready to catch a designer bio-weapon. It wasn't how most people spent their Friday night, certainly not most priests, but someone had to do it.

    "Uh, thanks?" the panda man muttered, before leaving along with his friends. As they walk out, you can hear the rat man (disguised as a dwarf in his human disguise) whisper "I told you people were staring!"


    Vigilante 1 (Werebat Form) | HP 9 | AC: 16, T: 13, FF: 13| Fort: +1, Ref: +5 , Will: +2 | CMD: 12, | Init: +5 | Perception: +4 (+6 at night)| SM: +4

    As Berto wraps up the presentation, Julian says, ”Hey Berto, can you put up those schematics real quick?” and he takes a picture of the 2 floors. When the others mention needing supplies, Julian looks sheepishly at the others and says, ”Well, I’m ready to go, I guess I got a little carried away.” and taps his chest and those listening hear his knuckles rap against his leather armor under his hoodie.

    When they meet with the clients, Julian stays behind Breach, his nose squished in werebat form looking for any interesting scents on the three. While the others talk, he watches the premesis looking for anyone who might notice their group.

    Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16


    Male Human Investigator (empiricist) 1 Init +1; Perception +6 (+7 vs. traps); hp 10/10; AC 13/T 11/FF 12; CMD 11; Fort +1; Ref +3; Will +3

    A few minutes after the van stops at Kaleo's residence, he returns to the van dressed in his leather armor and carrying two black plastic boxes, one larger than the other. Once back in the van, he opens the smaller box, and does a brief inventory of the various lockpicks and other implements inside, before closing it again. He then opens the larger box and does the same, except that this one contains a multitude of dried plants and strangely colored liquids and powders stored in vials. His finger hovers over a viscous silvery liquid, which he then pockets, along with a few other components and an empty vial, after which he closes the box.
    Once the others' questions have been answered, Kaleo asks his own to the man in the polo shirt.
    "Do you have an estimate as to how many mimics and zombies are in the building?"
    Once everyone else is gone, Kaleo takes a minute to mix his materials, gazing intently at them as they react. They flash brightly and briefly, and then Kaleo puts the still slightly glowing vial on his belt, next another, of a different coloration but with the same dull glow.
    Mixing an extract of shield.


    Julian Jacobs wrote:

    As Berto wraps up the presentation, Julian says, ”Hey Berto, can you put up those schematics real quick?” and he takes a picture of the 2 floors. When the others mention needing supplies, Julian looks sheepishly at the others and says, ”Well, I’m ready to go, I guess I got a little carried away.” and taps his chest and those listening hear his knuckles rap against his leather armor under his hoodie.

    When they meet with the clients, Julian stays behind Breach, his nose squished in werebat form looking for any interesting scents on the three. While the others talk, he watches the premesis looking for anyone who might notice their group.

    [dice=Perception]1d20 + 4

    While the two big guys smell of sweat and pistol smoke, the smaller fellow explaining the weapon is a bit of a mystery. He smells strongly of something, but you can't identify it. It smells a tad bit like fish? It's the only thing you can compare it to.

    You smell the animals moving around and in the distance you can hear cars, but nothing stands out as out of the ordinary.


    Kaleo Green wrote:

    A few minutes after the van stops at Kaleo's residence, he returns to the van dressed in his leather armor and carrying two black plastic boxes, one larger than the other. Once back in the van, he opens the smaller box, and does a brief inventory of the various lockpicks and other implements inside, before closing it again. He then opens the larger box and does the same, except that this one contains a multitude of dried plants and strangely colored liquids and powders stored in vials. His finger hovers over a viscous silvery liquid, which he then pockets, along with a few other components and an empty vial, after which he closes the box.

    Once the others' questions have been answered, Kaleo asks his own to the man in the polo shirt.
    "Do you have an estimate as to how many mimics and zombies are in the building?"
    Once everyone else is gone, Kaleo takes a minute to mix his materials, gazing intently at them as they react. They flash brightly and briefly, and then Kaleo puts the still slightly glowing vial on his belt, next another, of a different coloration but with the same dull glow.
    Mixing an extract of shield.

    "There are currently 6 mimics in our care. One of them was close to reproducing before the accident though. As for zombies, we're pretty sure the number caps at 16, but it's not impossible there are less due to fighting between the various specimens in the building."


    Human Mageknight 1 | HP 12/12 | F +4 R +2 W +4 (+1 vs magic) | AC 19 T 16 FF 17 CMD 16 | Init: +2 Per.: +3 SM: +2 | Spell Points 4/4 | Sphere DC 12 | Martial Focus 1/1

    Breach jumps out of the van and lopes to his apartment building, returning shortly afterwards armoured up in reinforced biker leathers with a riot shield on his arm, a pistol on his hip and an assault rifle on his back.

    ---------------------

    As they meet their employers, Breach stands silently and menacingly, taking stock of the three men but not asking any questions.


    INACTIVE

    Alex shrugs. "That's all the questions I had. Everyone ready to go?"


    Fighter 1 | HP 16/16 | AC: 18, T: 14, FF: 14| Fort: +4, Ref: +4, Will: +2 | BAB: +1, CMB: +1, CMD: 15, | Init: +4 | Perception: +7 |

    Carnival nods. "Sounds simple enough, so long as we're being cautious."


    Human Mageknight 1 | HP 12/12 | F +4 R +2 W +4 (+1 vs magic) | AC 19 T 16 FF 17 CMD 16 | Init: +2 Per.: +3 SM: +2 | Spell Points 4/4 | Sphere DC 12 | Martial Focus 1/1

    "Lets do it."


    Vigilante 1 (Werebat Form) | HP 9 | AC: 16, T: 13, FF: 13| Fort: +1, Ref: +5 , Will: +2 | CMD: 12, | Init: +5 | Perception: +4 (+6 at night)| SM: +4

    After the client heads out, Julian says, ”Ok, I’m ready. Berto, you said the place was hermetically sealed right? That probably means I won’t be able to get duct access from outside, but once we get in, give me a chance to scout some.”


    Vigilante 1 (Werebat Form) | HP 9 | AC: 16, T: 13, FF: 13| Fort: +1, Ref: +5 , Will: +2 | CMD: 12, | Init: +5 | Perception: +4 (+6 at night)| SM: +4

    Julian watches Berto drive off and looks at the others uncomfortably says, "OK, I haven't seen anyone else watching us, lets get in there and get going. Hey, who's going in first?"

    Marching order?


    M Human Cleric 1 | HP 9/9 | AC 17/12/15 | CMB-1 CMD 11 | F+3 R+2 W+5 | Init +4 | Perc +8 |
    Spells:
    0: Create Water, Light, Mending | 1st: Blessing of the Watch, Protection from Evil + Shield of Faith |

    Asher stood ready to enter the facility along with the others. Revolver in hand and clerical collar plain for all to see, he was an absurd sight and about to get stranger still: prayer was not common among modern mercenaries. The priest lowered his head, closed his eyes, clasped his crucifix with his free hand, and began muttering under his breath. The rest of the Riot Crew were accustomed to this by now. It was practically standard procedure for the preacher. They knew what came next.

    "Lord, we ask that you be with us in our time of peril, to bless our hearts and guide our hands, to defend us in battle and rebuke our enemies. Fiat nobis secundum verbum. Amen."

    The effect was immediate. Even through his hand, the light shining from the crucifix was every bit as obvious as the impact it had upon all. It was slight but unmistakable. A lightness in step, a confidence in ability - every member of the Riot Crew felt inherently more capable. All the better prepared to take on the dangers of the facility.

    Using Blessing of the Watch on the party before we enter. Everyone has a +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and saving throws vs fear effects for the next hour. Really nice spell for a game that predominantly takes place in one city.


    INACTIVE

    Alex follows the rest of the party, taking up the position of rear guard. Wary of a possible ambush, she keeps a close eye on her surroundings.

    Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20


    Male Human Investigator (empiricist) 1 Init +1; Perception +6 (+7 vs. traps); hp 10/10; AC 13/T 11/FF 12; CMD 11; Fort +1; Ref +3; Will +3

    Kaleo moves along with everyone else, alert for any sign of danger.
    Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15


    Assuming everyone is ready, lets get the ball rolling again.

    Your brief walk through the woods is uneventful, though you keep your eyes peeled nonetheless. An owl hoots, and you hear frogs croak in the distance. After walking for far too long, you come across a clearing and suddenly it comes into view: the facility.

    The building looks old and worn down. If you had come across it on a simple hiking trip, you might just think the building belongs there. You march around the side of the building, taking in the faded paint and shuttered windows, until finally you see the door on the east side. Stepping up to the door, you are surprised to find it unlocked.

    Alex Weir wrote:
    Alex follows the rest of the party, taking up the position of rear guard. Wary of a possible ambush, she keeps a close eye on her surroundings.

    Your eyes fall on the door as you move forward when Alex notices something on the door, a faint dirty footprint on the door, and cracking around the deadbolt, clear evidence of an attempted break in.

    Now even more on edge, you take up a marching order and begin to slowly clear the hallway. Dried blood is obviously on the floor, and the walls, despite being semi new, are clearly suffering from violent damage. You pace the hallway in an orderly fashion and calmly, if nervously, open the door.

    You step out into a large office area, but one obviously in disrepair. Papers are everywhere and the damage to the room implies some sort of fight went down; bullet holes litter the walls, ceiling, and floor, stains of blood are clear in the carpet, and many computer monitors have been smashed. Worst of all, though, are the bodies. Four of them, clearly belonging to people who once simple office drones. Their sickening decay fills the room, and the and even from the distance you are standing it's clear they were victims of brutal violence.

    If you'd like to investigate any part of the room, just ask and roll for either Perception, Survival, or Health/Knowledge(Nature) (for investigating the bodies).


    Fighter 1 | HP 16/16 | AC: 18, T: 14, FF: 14| Fort: +4, Ref: +4, Will: +2 | BAB: +1, CMB: +1, CMD: 15, | Init: +4 | Perception: +7 |

    "Careful of the corpses, just in case they ain't dead yet." Carinival being the sort of person he was moved to check each corpse in turn to make sure they were suitably dead. If the sight or the smell bothered him, he gave no hint. Instead he simply jabbed each one with the pointed foot of his leather shoe, then checked the corpse for ID, keycards or anything else of use.

    Perception (Corpse 1): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17
    Perception (Corpse 2): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11
    Perception (Corpse 3): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10
    Perception (Corpse 4): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23


    INACTIVE

    Seeing the door, Alex warns the others. "Careful. Someone tried to break in here. There may be more than zombies and amoebas in the building."

    Once in the room, she first focuses on the bodies. She has seen a surprising number of corpses in her young life, many of which then got up and tried to kill her. Fortunately Carnival seems to be checking them thoroughly. Still, something seems off.

    Bullet holes everywhere. Where are the guns? Zombies wouldn't carry them off; neither would any of the other monsters we were told about.

    She moves to the corpses herself, seeing if she can figure out how they died.

    Heal: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

    I rolled Heal, but I'm not actually sure which skill would be appropriate. If it would be Perception, add 4. Not that it matters much with that roll.


    Vigilante 1 (Werebat Form) | HP 9 | AC: 16, T: 13, FF: 13| Fort: +1, Ref: +5 , Will: +2 | CMD: 12, | Init: +5 | Perception: +4 (+6 at night)| SM: +4

    Julian scans the room looking for air ducts, but he shies away from the bodies, letting Carnival look them over, pulling his pocket pistol to be ready. When he finds the vent register, he motions to the others, "Anyone have a way to get this cover off? I knew I was forgetting something, remind me to pick up some tools when we finish here. I'd like to see if I can scout ahead a little, give us an idea of what we are walking into."

    Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11


    M Human Cleric 1 | HP 9/9 | AC 17/12/15 | CMB-1 CMD 11 | F+3 R+2 W+5 | Init +4 | Perc +8 |
    Spells:
    0: Create Water, Light, Mending | 1st: Blessing of the Watch, Protection from Evil + Shield of Faith |

    Asher was distressed at the signs of someone trying to break into the facility. The arms company had no need of forcing a lock they owned the key to, so was this from a third party? Had pertinent information been withheld from the Riot Crew? Well, yes, obviously. This was corporate America after all. Of course they were holding their cards close to the chest. The priest just hoped the unknown third party had given up on breaching the monster infested facility, for all their sakes.

    Not likely, is it? Sigh.

    But what really upset Asher was the sight of the bodies. This wasn't his first time seeing a corpse, of course. This line of work ensured that. The priest was a harder man now than just a few years ago. But his faith acted as a constant within him, preventing him from, and indeed reminding him that he shouldn't, become accustomed to violence and death. Once one acclimated to the very worst of sins, what hope was there?

    Unfortunately, Asher's discomfort prevented him from being much use in surveying the office.

    Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9

    Heal: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14

    "Requiescat in pace," he said quietly before signing the cross and inspecting the nearest cadaver.

    Three different posts, three different methods of resolving skill checks. Interested to see Atom's take on it for future reference.

    EDIT: Four different posts, sorry. Julian posted while I was writing.


    Vigilante 1 (Werebat Form) | HP 9 | AC: 16, T: 13, FF: 13| Fort: +1, Ref: +5 , Will: +2 | CMD: 12, | Init: +5 | Perception: +4 (+6 at night)| SM: +4

    As Julian scans the room, the voice of Father Asher makes him jump, soft though it was, the language piques his interest and he asks, ”What was that Father? Some prayer for the dead?”


    Male Human Investigator (empiricist) 1 Init +1; Perception +6 (+7 vs. traps); hp 10/10; AC 13/T 11/FF 12; CMD 11; Fort +1; Ref +3; Will +3

    Kaleo performs a general search of the room and then looks over some of the loose papers.
    Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21


    M Human Cleric 1 | HP 9/9 | AC 17/12/15 | CMB-1 CMD 11 | F+3 R+2 W+5 | Init +4 | Perc +8 |
    Spells:
    0: Create Water, Light, Mending | 1st: Blessing of the Watch, Protection from Evil + Shield of Faith |
    Julian Jacobs wrote:
    ”What was that Father? Some prayer for the dead?”

    "You know you can call me Asher if you prefer, Julian," the priest smiled. Being a clergyman was not exactly a nine-to-five job; one couldn't just hang up the cowl at closing-time, down a forty and go out gambling after a hard day of preaching. Once you were a priest it was less vocation and more identity. But this said, Asher still liked to think he was his own person. The clerical collar around his neck should not erase the person who wore it, but amplify him. He hoped he could be both Asher the priest and Asher the vaguely ordinary dude to the Riot Crew.

    Also, being called 'Father' by someone just nine years his junior made him feel old.

    "It's a common phrase within the faith. I'm sure you've heard it before a hundred times in its alternate forms. RIP. Rest in peace. I'm just partial to its original Latin version. Old-fashioned, I suppose."


    Vigilante 1 (Werebat Form) | HP 9 | AC: 16, T: 13, FF: 13| Fort: +1, Ref: +5 , Will: +2 | CMD: 12, | Init: +5 | Perception: +4 (+6 at night)| SM: +4

    "Oh, of course...Asher. Whatever you like." You can tell that Julian is uncomfortable with speaking so informally with someone of such spiritual gravitas, but he makes the effort. Julian perks up a little and responds, "It does have a nice sound to it." Glancing at the bodies, his face turns a little green and he squeaks out, "Fitting to help move them on I guess."


    Carnival. wrote:

    "Careful of the corpses, just in case they ain't dead yet." Carinival being the sort of person he was moved to check each corpse in turn to make sure they were suitably dead. If the sight or the smell bothered him, he gave no hint. Instead he simply jabbed each one with the pointed foot of his leather shoe, then checked the corpse for ID, keycards or anything else of use.

    [dice=Perception (Corpse 1)]1d20+7
    [dice=Perception (Corpse 2)]1d20+7
    [dice=Perception (Corpse 3)]1d20+7
    [dice=Perception (Corpse 4)]1d20+7

    Your search of the bodies nets you little, but somethings start to become apparent. These bodies are very damaged, almost to the point of mutilation. They are all full of bullet wounds and many you would swear are look barely human.

    Knowledge (Religion) DC 11):
    A blatant hint that these are zombies (non-functional, of course).

    One body nets you something of value, what seemingly belonged to a light skinned male of presumably young to middle age: a wallet, within which is a red key card that reads "BASEMENT" and a driver's license belonging to a "Kenny Li".


    Alex Weir wrote:

    Seeing the door, Alex warns the others. "Careful. Someone tried to break in here. There may be more than zombies and amoebas in the building."

    Once in the room, she first focuses on the bodies. She has seen a surprising number of corpses in her young life, many of which then got up and tried to kill her. Fortunately Carnival seems to be checking them thoroughly. Still, something seems off.

    Bullet holes everywhere. Where are the guns? Zombies wouldn't carry them off; neither would any of the other monsters we were told about.

    She moves to the corpses herself, seeing if she can figure out how they died.

    [dice=Heal]1d20 + 1

    I rolled Heal, but I'm not actually sure which skill would be appropriate. If it would be Perception, add 4. Not that it matters much with that roll.

    Despite your best investigative efforts, the bodies are simply too decayed and damaged to get much useful information from. Still, it is blatantly clear that they have been damaged severely by gunfire.


    Julian Jacobs wrote:

    Julian scans the room looking for air ducts, but he shies away from the bodies, letting Carnival look them over, pulling his pocket pistol to be ready. When he finds the vent register, he motions to the others, "Anyone have a way to get this cover off? I knew I was forgetting something, remind me to pick up some tools when we finish here. I'd like to see if I can scout ahead a little, give us an idea of what we are walking into."

    [dice=Perception]1d20+6

    Are you transforming into a bat to check the vents?


    Father Asher Anderson wrote:

    Asher was distressed at the signs of someone trying to break into the facility. The arms company had no need of forcing a lock they owned the key to, so was this from a third party? Had pertinent information been withheld from the Riot Crew? Well, yes, obviously. This was corporate America after all. Of course they were holding their cards close to the chest. The priest just hoped the unknown third party had given up on breaching the monster infested facility, for all their sakes.

    Not likely, is it? Sigh.

    But what really upset Asher was the sight of the bodies. This wasn't his first time seeing a corpse, of course. This line of work ensured that. The priest was a harder man now than just a few years ago. But his faith acted as a constant within him, preventing him from, and indeed reminding him that he shouldn't, become accustomed to violence and death. Once one acclimated to the very worst of sins, what hope was there?

    Unfortunately, Asher's discomfort prevented him from being much use in surveying the office.

    [dice=Perception]1d20 + 8

    [dice=Heal]1d20 + 7

    "Requiescat in pace," he said quietly before signing the cross and inspecting the nearest cadaver.

    Three different posts, three different methods of resolving skill checks. Interested to see Atom's take on it for future reference.

    EDIT: Four different posts, sorry. Julian posted while I was writing.

    It seems your nerves have gotten the better of you, and your search of the office nets you nothing that couldn't already be seen by a cursory glance. Your investigation of the bodies, meanwhile, shows you something much more concrete: the bodies suffer damage suggesting that they were moving while heavily injured, something that is seemingly impossible given the level of damage you are seeing (damaged legs, heads, etc.).


    Kaleo Green wrote:

    Kaleo performs a general search of the room and then looks over some of the loose papers.

    [dice=Perception]1d20+6

    Assuming this is not a typo and you get a +12 to the roll...

    Your search is very effective, trawling up what seems to be receipts, though in order to make any sense of them you would need time to study them in depth. You also find information detailing inventory and some strange emails directed at a financing department.


    Fighter 1 | HP 16/16 | AC: 18, T: 14, FF: 14| Fort: +4, Ref: +4, Will: +2 | BAB: +1, CMB: +1, CMD: 15, | Init: +4 | Perception: +7 |

    Carnival bagged the wallet and keycard. He had no idea if the wallet would be useful, but he double checked it anyway. You never knew when someone might write a password and hide it behind there credit card.

    "Got a keycard for the basement, so that'll save some time."


    Vigilante 1 (Werebat Form) | HP 9 | AC: 16, T: 13, FF: 13| Fort: +1, Ref: +5 , Will: +2 | CMD: 12, | Init: +5 | Perception: +4 (+6 at night)| SM: +4

    That check was just to look for access for the air vents. Assuming I found access that I could use, I was going to scout out the nearby rooms but I hadn't gotten that far yet.


    INACTIVE

    "We've probably gotten all we can from this room. Is everyone ready to move on?"

    Assuming everyone agrees, Alex falls back into place at the back of the line as they head south into the corridor.


    Male Human Investigator (empiricist) 1 Init +1; Perception +6 (+7 vs. traps); hp 10/10; AC 13/T 11/FF 12; CMD 11; Fort +1; Ref +3; Will +3
    TheMightyAtom wrote:
    Kaleo Green wrote:

    Kaleo performs a general search of the room and then looks over some of the loose papers.

    [dice=Perception]1d20+6

    Assuming this is not a typo and you get a +12 to the roll...

    I don't have a +12 to the roll, I have a +6.


    Kaleo Green wrote:
    TheMightyAtom wrote:
    Kaleo Green wrote:

    Kaleo performs a general search of the room and then looks over some of the loose papers.

    [dice=Perception]1d20+6

    Assuming this is not a typo and you get a +12 to the roll...

    I don't have a +12 to the roll, I have a +6.

    Check your last post then. It applies the +6 twice. Might just be some visual error though.


    Fighter 1 | HP 16/16 | AC: 18, T: 14, FF: 14| Fort: +4, Ref: +4, Will: +2 | BAB: +1, CMB: +1, CMD: 15, | Init: +4 | Perception: +7 |

    It's reading as Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21 to me - no doubling of the 6, just 6 + a roll of 15 to make 21.


    M Human Cleric 1 | HP 9/9 | AC 17/12/15 | CMB-1 CMD 11 | F+3 R+2 W+5 | Init +4 | Perc +8 |
    Spells:
    0: Create Water, Light, Mending | 1st: Blessing of the Watch, Protection from Evil + Shield of Faith |

    "... Yes, let's," Asher replied somewhat hesitantly, seemingly deep in thought, to Alex's prompt to move on.

    It seemed clear enough that the poor unfortunates in the room had not died here; not really. They had been zombies. They had died their second death, been absolved, here. So the question now became, who or what had done this? And was it likely to give the Riot Crew the same treatment?

    "Watch yourselves. Whatever did this to them may be up ahead."

    Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22

    Just a general Perception check to watch out for traps or ambushes. And yeah, I think we're moving ahead to room 11.


    Vigilante 1 (Werebat Form) | HP 9 | AC: 16, T: 13, FF: 13| Fort: +1, Ref: +5 , Will: +2 | CMD: 12, | Init: +5 | Perception: +4 (+6 at night)| SM: +4

    Still waiting to see if Julian can find some ventilation access. If so, he’s going exploring.

    101 to 149 of 149 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
    Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Precipice and the End of an Age: Gameplay All Messageboards

    Want to post a reply? Sign in.