Those Halcyon Days of Youth

Game Master Stalwart

Basic moves pdf


1 to 50 of 3,633 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Welcome to Halcyon City! Shining beacon of heroism and progress! The city of tomorrow!

From the glittering skyline to the bustling streets, there's nothing Halcyon City doesn't have, except for a dull moment. From the top of the world-renowned Kirby Tower, you can see the panoply that is the home of over ten million people. Thrill as the Shuster Skyrail zips you to every major location in the city, from Ditko Park to Stanlee Field, and from the Kane Waterfront to Marston Plaza. Enrich yourself by visiting one of the world-renowned art and cultural centers, such as the Romita Museum of Natural History, the Byrne Auditorium, the Finger Conservatory, and the Siegel Center for the Arts.

Truly, there is no place in the world like Halcyon City! Please enjoy your stay!*

*The Halcyon City Tourist Bureau does not provide refunds in the event of supervillain attacks, alien invasions, dimensional incursions, temporal shifts, or other unexplained phenomenon.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Front Page of the Halcyon City Herald

New Team Rises from Ashes of Old
Villain Dusk, New Team Level Alliance Museum

by Doug Graves
HALCYON – Radical supervillain Dusk and his minions
struck the opening ceremony of the First Alliance
Museum last night, causing a group of young super
beings to respond to the attack. The museum was
destroyed in the battle.

Dusk appeared at the midpoint of the ceremony, which
was attended by history buffs and roughly 100 stu-
dents from local schools. Dusk was accompanied by
his radical followers the Duskguard, along with
several powered individuals, according to witnesses.

Dusk sized control of the stage as his forces took
position around the museum, which was the recently-
renovated headquarters of the First Alliance, the
precursor to the current Alliance of Heroes founded
in the days before World War II. Dusk began to speak
to the audience about the racial and societal injus-
tices of the First Alliance's members, but his mon-
ologue was cut short by a light show by the first
hero on the scene, Holly Elton, aka the television
star Mosaic.

Witnesses reported experiencing painful headaches
when the next hero, who calls herself Psyche, in-
capacitated most of the Duskguard. A third hero, ac-
cording to reports, called Gallow Lass used a bow
and arrow to fight the dark energy manipulator. Two
more unknown heroes arrived just as authorities be-
gan to respond.

Witnesses reported a scene of chaos and confusion.
As-yet unreleased footage of the event shows that
the daughter of the Praetorian and Ultra-Star, and
a fire/ice duo known to associate with Silver
Shield were also on the scene.

Ultimately, despite the intervention of Mosaic, the
latest in the Praetorian line, and the other indiv-
iduals, the museum was destroyed in the fighting.
Dusk also escaped, though authorities succeeded in
arresting six Duskguard members.

"Call me Praetoria," said the young Taylor heiress,
obviously taking on her father's and grandfathers'
mantle. She declined to comment on the where-
abouts of her parents.

"It was amazing, doing my own stunts," Mosaic said
in a brief statement after the battle. She also an-
nounced that she may put her acting career on hold
to explore being a hero full-time.

When asked for a comment about the destruction of
the museum, Psyche said, "There was nothing anyone
could do. It was an old building, anyway."

The young proteges of Silver Shield, Frostbite and
Scorch, declined comment, though Gallow Lass enth-
usiastically confirmed that they would remain to-
gether to work as a team. The remaining heroes also
declined comment, though they identified themeselves
as Isaiah and Horizon.

When asked about the future of the First Alliance
Museum, Historical Society chair Hal Tyce said, "I
Please see MUSEUM on Page 5


----------------------------------------------------
Session 1: The Proving Grounds
----------------------------------------------------
1 Team

The last couple days were surreal. After being catapulted to instant fame thanks to fighting the supervillain Dusk in front of dozens of cameras, the media had rather presumptively lumped everyone who was there opposing the radical together as some sort of super team. Gossip mags and super hero watch blogs poured over every little scrap of information and the rumor mill was churning.

All the while, a dark spectre loomed over the media frenzy: where was the Praetorian and Ultra-Star? They still hadn't appeared to "pass the torch" to their daughter Praetoria -- generally an occasion of great circumstance.

The team had barely settled in, and hadn't had a chance to properly investigate the mind-control headbands used to turn over a third of their number into slaves to Dusk's extremist views. The headbands had several pieces of Infini-Corp's technology in it, but its guilt was deflected as the tech had been developed to curtail seizures in epileptic patients.

Which brings us to today, after Kayla's uncle had twisted her arm to attend on behalf of her grandfather at the ceremony commemorating the 50th anniversary of the cessation of the Oceanic Civil War. The second Praetorian had dove beneath the ocean depths to assist King Aquaticus in retaining his underwater throne against the challenger to his rule, Dark Neptune. In thanks to the great hero, the undersea nation of Oceanus sent a gift of a gigantic pearl, the likes of which had never been seen on the surface world.

The pearl has been on continuous display at the Norris Maritime Center near the Wharf District. For the ceremony, the envoy from Oceanus, Uzlay Undine, has arrived to again speak of the peace of the ocean realm and its gratitude towards the heroes of the surface world.

The event is too great of an opportunity to miss. Not only is Praetoria urged to attend to represent her Legacy, the Silver Shield gently suggests that Frostbite and Scorch attend. Mosaic's publicist absolutely insists that she be there to stand with Praetoria, while Gallowglass's father gives her a knowing nudge. Psyche, Horizon and Isaiah get the invitation by default, though they don't receive any urging to attend by someone outside the team.

Being in person and standing beneath the pearl is an awesome privilege. The treasure is the size of an overinflated beach ball, with a radiant luster that surpasses the finest diadems. The blue-skinned Uzlay steps toward each of you on the stage, reciting a prepared speech.

"It our time of strife and conflict, the surface dweller called the Praetorian came to us and fought against those who would sow chaos. Our people can enjoy a peace and prosperity thanks to the selfless efforts of the Praetorian, who clearly embodies the best of the surface world's traits. We bestow these tokens of our continued thanks, just as we celebrate the Pearl of Peace, our gift to you."

As Uzlay speaks, a lithe, blue-skinned beauty with her only seeming blemish being the broad pattern of slits on either side of her throat, steps forward and offers to drape a wreath made of damp, smelly seaweed around each of your necks.

Kayla can easily see the teleprompter, which offers a scrolling speech that she can just read aloud to play her Legacy's part. "Thank you, Uzlay Undine, my friend beneath the waves. My ancestor's efforts to bring peace to your realm is and always will be one of the greatest contributions to lasting peace. May this gift of the ocean's bounty remind us that we always should live in harmony with the ocean and its peoples."

Kayla, you're at center stage, with a teleprompter just behind the cameras, and an unctuous Oceanic representative about to drape you with a seaweed wreath. What do you do?
Everyone else: you stand and listen as the rehearsed speech drones on and an Oceanic beauty with gills offers to put a wreath made of pungent seaweed around your necks. What did you do?


Potential: [x] [] [] [] [] | Conditions: Guilty|
Influence::
Horizon, Gallowglass, Frostbite, Psych, Scorch, Mosaic, Stone (Racist)
New Costume Reference Image Danger: +1, Freak: 0, Savior: +3, Superior: 0, Mundane: 0

Kayla’s stomach was in knots throughout the whole ceremony. She had attended many of these things before, but always from the sidelines and watching her mother and father handle this part. When the lady approaches to drape the seaweed lei around Kayla’s neck, Kayla hid her disgust at the token as her mother had taught her, and simply bowed her head politely to allow it to be placed.

She looked over to the rest of the team, making brief eye contact with Rory and Holly.

I’m gonna botch it. I’m gonna get up here and stutter, say a wrong word, or choke altogether. I’m gonna embarrass my family, the team, everyone...

Praetoria then stepped forward to the microphone and read the words off the teleprompter, "Thank you, Uzlay Undine, my friend beneath the waves. My ancestor's efforts to bring peace to your realm is and always will be one of the greatest contributions to lasting peace. May this gift of the ocean's bounty remind us that we always should live in harmony with the ocean and its peoples."

She read them off without trouble at all, much to her relief. Relief that bolstered her confidence, leading her to go off script a bit. She turns to Uzlay and reaches out to shake his hand.


Influence:
Influence on: Psyche, Scorch, Isaiah, Shin, Siphon
|Potential:[x][x][x][][] Labels - Da: 1 Fr: 1 Sa: 1 Su: 2 Mu: 1 | Conditions: Hopeless, Guilty,

Things like this bore Rory nearly to tears, but this was different. Why, because he was here with his team. But it was something more than just that, he was trying so hard not to just stare at Kayla but when the make brief eye contact he gives her a wink and a discreet thumbs up.

When the lei is placed on his eyes go wide and start to water.
Oh boy, not sure I can handle this to too long...


Labels: Guilty Danger: 3 Freak: 2 Savior: -2 Superior: 2 Mundane: -1 | Current Burn: 0 | Conditions: | Team Pool: 1
Influence:
Influenced by: Frostbite, Mosaic, Praetoria, Scorch - Not The Judge | Influences: Frostbite, Isaiah, Praetoria, Scorch, The Crab

The seaweed's smell really reminded Kylie of when her mom would go into full Old Country mode in the kitchen, an effort that occasionally tasted better than this smelled, but never had lovely Oceanians in attendance, and always had much smaller pearls.

I should tell mom about this. Even if she's not going to watch the footage anyways, if I don't tell her I'll hear about it for weeks.

Praetoria's speech didn't really require Psyche's attention, she knew all about leaving a warm smile not-quite-fixed on her face while her focus was off doing more important things. Even if this time it was just the equivalent of a phone call.

Maintaining a single psychic link to someone she knew well wasn't exactly strenuous, especially while she wasn't doing anything with her body but giving her best youth-pageant smile as she gratefully received her wreath. But since her mom was doing 90% of the 'talking' on their link anyways, she risked a moment's distraction to send a quick mental smile to Kayla as she finished her speech. "Good delivery, very genuine!"


[X] [X] [X] [X] [ ] Labels: Da: 2 Fr: 2 Sa: -1 Su: 1 Mu: 1 | Conditions: Angry
Influence:
Praetoria, Frostbite, Isaiah

Scorch stands at one end of the line of young heroes, quite enjoying being the center of attention but not really paying attention to what's going on. When she's startled to attention by the exotic blue-skinned woman with the seaweed wreath she bows forward so that it can be placed around her neck and does her best not to wrinkle her nose.


Mosaic Labels: Danger: -1 Freak: +1 Savior: 0 Superior: +3 Mundane: 0 | Conditions: none
Influence:
Influences: Gallowglass, Psyche, Praetoria, Isaiah. [+b]Influenced By:[/b] Rory, Praetoria, Gallowglass, Isaiah, Horizon
Potential 3/5

Holly stands on the stage, between Rory and Psyche. She does not wear her "super suit", but instead a nice, teal dress, with her heels, and a domino mask in solidarity with the others. She smiled, looking out into the audience and bowing her head slightly as the envoy bestows a lei.

Holly uses a little bit of her power, just enough to have a few colourful shards floating around her, and a few more on the ground, which quietly slide along the floor, forming a small smiley face at Kayla's feet as she finishes.


M Human (Probably) Arcane Engineer 2

Isaiah graciously accepts the seaweed wreath; unlike the others, he doesn't have to smell things if he doesn't want to. (though he runs a chem-analysis on the scent just to be safe). He stays quiet, letting others do the speaking here. Still a bit paranoid after what happened at the museum, he silently scans the crowd, watching for potential threats.

Inquiry keeps an eye on the proceedings from on high, disguised as an innocuous advertising blimp.


Labels: Danger -2 Freak +1 Savior +2 Superior +2 Mundane +1 | Conditions: Guilty
Influence:
Horizon, Praetoria, Mosaic
Potential: 2/5 Current PN device: Manavore Circuitry

Whoops, wrong avatar.


Potential: 2/5 4A Labels: Danger: -2 Freak: +1 Savior: +2 Superior: 0 Mundane: +2 | Conditions: Guilty, Hopeless
Influence:
Influenced by: Isaiah, Praetoria, Ballista, Psyche / Influences: Scorch, Mosaic, Frostbite, Psyche, Ballista, PATIENT X, Sarah

It felt strange to Shin to be attending such an important ceremony for an event that to him hadn't happened yet in his time. It was also strange to be wearing the purple suit that Isaiah had helped to fabricate for him, sleek and fitted with protective pads that weren't bulky at all. He was especially grateful for the wraparound visor that worked the same as his glasses so he wasn't squinting at letters.

He grins nervously at the rather fetching aquatic woman and her seaweed wreath, actually not minding it all too much. The smell reminded him of dinner last week his mom made with a kelp soup that had been delicious. His sister Yukiho was the one that hated it, so she got stubborn about eating it. It was surreal to realize that his last week had been over seventy years ago.

"Thank you. Uh, it's an honor," He tells the woman, glancing over at the others. He's on the far end opposite of Scorch, hoping that they don't need to stay here for much longer. He wanted to get back to all of his studies.


Polite applause issues from the crowd that has come out for the ceremony. The annual event is generally well-attended, since it is the only opportunity for people to catch a glimpse of the mysterious and beautiful Oceanics. The delegation consists of Uzlay and six other Oceanics, two males and five females -- further evidence of the race's obsession with prime numbers.

When Praetoria finishes her prompted speech, Gallowglass is still in line to receive a seaweed wreath. The crowd cheers as Uzlay accepts Praetoria's offered hand and gives it a shake.

The voices and applause are suddenly drowned out by a thunderous roar from the waterfront. All of you on the stage, which looks out past the crowd toward the harbor, can see ships and boats of all kinds leaning and bobbing as something enormous rises from the depths. At first it appears to be an island growing larger and more massive as it pushes boats aside as it rises from the bay. Then as the bulk lifts higher, two gigantic appendages ending in ferocious claws clear the water.

The shape resolves itself into that of a titanic crab, almost black and covered in coral and barnacles -- as if a huge section of reef suddenly sprouted legs and started to climb onto shore. Water streams from its carapace as legs rise out of the water and plant themselves onto land, digging deep into the boardwalk. The legs hoist the enormous body of the crab monster fully out of the water and carry it with surprising swiftness to stand over the screaming and panicked crowd at the Maritime Center.

Two eyestalks extend from the front of the crab and peer down at the stage. A crackling, mechanized voice booms from the behemoth, "The days of peace with the surface is over! The ocean will no longer be exploited and abused by the land dwellers! The seas' bounty shall be returned to the depths!" One of its pincers, easily the size of a full eighteen-wheeler, makes a lunge for the Pearl of Peace.

As it gives its speech, several large barnacle-like nodes on the titanic crab's surface detach and descend down its legs. The size of Volkswagon bugs, these smaller crabs extend pincers that menace and corral the crowd, keeping the people in the shadow of their gigantic parent. Four, however, move toward the stage -- beady black eyestalks glaring mindlessly at you. The Oceanic people appear just as horrified as the crowd of bystanders.

What do you do?!?!

You are entering into battle against a dangerous foe as a team. Therefore I've added 2 more Team to the pool, for a total of 3. You will need to select a leader for this fight. When the leader is selected, announce your purpose in this fight, and if you mistrust the leader of the team.
• If the leader has Influence over every
teammate, add another Team.
• If everyone has the same purpose
in the fight, add another Team.
• If any team member mistrusts the
leader or the team, remove a Team.
• If your team is ill-prepared or offbalance,
remove a Team.


Labels: Guilty Danger: 3 Freak: 2 Savior: -2 Superior: 2 Mundane: -1 | Current Burn: 0 | Conditions: | Team Pool: 1
Influence:
Influenced by: Frostbite, Mosaic, Praetoria, Scorch - Not The Judge | Influences: Frostbite, Isaiah, Praetoria, Scorch, The Crab

Psyche's eyes flashed brighter, the shifting neon webs that shrouded her body, spinning faster and faster.

Huh. Okay, time to go to work

Was she lifting herself, or just pushing everything else down? Either way the ground began to recede as she took flight.

Mom? Mom. Ma! I've gotta go. Giant Enemy Crab. Yes, I know it's not kosh- I'm not gonna eat it! Look just actually turn on the tv, then you'll know what I'm talking about! Okay, love you too.

Strangely angled lines of light carved themselves across her cheeks, her arms, anywhere her skin showed through.
Her eyes shone like stars, too bright to look at without pain, but possessing a gravity too great to ignore.

Time to knock this thing back into the sea!
Wait.. no. Bystanders, right? That's what a hero's supposed to think of first.

Charging up her Powers: 2d6 ⇒ (2, 6) = 8 Getting 3 Burn and Marking Insecure


Influence:
Influence on: Psyche, Scorch, Isaiah, Shin, Siphon
|Potential:[x][x][x][][] Labels - Da: 1 Fr: 1 Sa: 1 Su: 2 Mu: 1 | Conditions: Hopeless, Guilty,

I was worried this would be stuffy and boring. Wish we had more practice together but oh well.

Frostbite takes a deep stance and with a few power hand movements he attempts to form a giant icy stilacmitte from the water to freeze the pincer heading for the pearl.

Unleash You Pwoers: 2d6 + 1 ⇒ (1, 4) + 1 = 6


Frostbite, that's actually a defend someone or something move, not unleash. Still the same result, though. It plays off of Savior rather than Freak. If someone assists you and spends a Team, you'll succeed even though it'll cost you. If not, you get to mark Potential.


Influence:
Influence on: Psyche, Scorch, Isaiah, Shin, Siphon
|Potential:[x][x][x][][] Labels - Da: 1 Fr: 1 Sa: 1 Su: 2 Mu: 1 | Conditions: Hopeless, Guilty,

Ok I thought defend was just people


Potential: 2/5 4A Labels: Danger: -2 Freak: +1 Savior: +2 Superior: 0 Mundane: +2 | Conditions: Guilty, Hopeless
Influence:
Influenced by: Isaiah, Praetoria, Ballista, Psyche / Influences: Scorch, Mosaic, Frostbite, Psyche, Ballista, PATIENT X, Sarah

Shin had not woken up that morning thinking he'd get into a fight with robotic crabs. He'd always been enthused about the idea of being a superhero before he'd gotten powers, but now he was here he was wondering how this could be fun for anyone.

His fists balled up as he concentrated and surrounded them with his characteristic field of particle trapping, his hands and arms disappearing in a void of light. He felt the heat and pressure of photon particles building inside the fields, charging up for the inevitable fight.

"We got to get these civvies to scram! Anyone digging ideas?" He asked as he looked at the crabs corral in the audience. The immediate threat were the crabs coming at them on the stage. Priority had to go to them and try to take them out quickly. He aimed and fired off particle beams at the car sized robots.

"We can't let these buckets surround us!" He calls out.

Directly Engaging a Threat: 2d6 ⇒ (2, 1) = 3


Labels: Guilty Danger: 3 Freak: 2 Savior: -2 Superior: 2 Mundane: -1 | Current Burn: 0 | Conditions: | Team Pool: 1
Influence:
Influenced by: Frostbite, Mosaic, Praetoria, Scorch - Not The Judge | Influences: Frostbite, Isaiah, Praetoria, Scorch, The Crab

Psyche closed her eyes, this wasn't going to be easy, but it wouldn't be complicated. Just heavy.

Unleash her Powers: 2d6 + 2 ⇒ (6, 6) + 2 = 14

The power she drew in brought all eyes with it, until with a pulse of energy her eyes popped back open, an expression of controlled serenity on her face.
As one, the smaller crabs that were corralling the onlookers jerked, and slowly began to float into the air.

Any sort of complex or selective telepathy would have to wait, so instead everyone at the event hears the words Run. Now.

Spending a burn to activate Worship to awe her audience into silence, respect, and attention.


Labels: Danger -2 Freak +1 Savior +2 Superior +2 Mundane +1 | Conditions: Guilty
Influence:
Horizon, Praetoria, Mosaic
Potential: 2/5 Current PN device: Manavore Circuitry

Isaiah held back for the moment, as Inquiry put its sensors to good use scanning the crabs. Were they organic, mechanical, or both? And, of course, where were their weak points?

Asses The Situation: 2d6 + 2 ⇒ (1, 6) + 2 = 9

What here is most vulnerable to me?

Also, do we have the same goals? Do we trust each other? Isaiah trusts the others, and his goal is, well, stop the crab.


[x] [x] [x] [] [] | Danger -1, Freak -1, Savior +2, Superior +2, Mundane +1, influenced by: Horizon, Mosaic, Praetoria; has influence on: Praetoria, Isaiah; conditions: none

When the lei's are being handed out, Gallowglass stands there in line, brimming with excitement as she awaits her honor. (It being somewhat fishy-smelling is nothing compared to her excitement at being acknowledged as having a place as a real superhero.)

Suddenly everything goes wrong and her heart starts to beat like crazy. "Our fate lives within us, you only have to be brave enough to see it," She reminds herself.

"Time to save the world, Bear!" she says to her Australian Shepherd (who now sports a diamond mask, similar to her own).

Gallowglass sees Frostbite trying to freeze the massive crab's pincer...but sees that the crab is moving so fast it might well outpace her partner's ice. To buy him a moment's time, she fires off a flash arrow at the nearer eyestalk, attempting to blind or at least disorient it for a moment.

"I've got your back, F.B!"

Spending +1 team to help Frostbite.


Potential: [x] [] [] [] [] | Conditions: Guilty|
Influence::
Horizon, Gallowglass, Frostbite, Psych, Scorch, Mosaic, Stone (Racist)
New Costume Reference Image Danger: +1, Freak: 0, Savior: +3, Superior: 0, Mundane: 0

Seeing the crab appear, Kayla's first thoughts are:

Oh s&+@!

Then, she remembers her father's words.

"Assess the situation, and do it quickly. Make sure people have time to clear the area safely before you begin the serious fighting. Buy them time if you must."

She sees the massive crowd beginning to scatter, and the looks of fear on everyone's faces. She sees what Frostbite is trying to do, and that the crab is focused intently on the pearl. She turns to the rest of her "team" and says "Everyone! Do what you can to get the people clear! And tend to the smaller crabs!"

She then soars off, glad she decided to wear her costume for the first time ever, and heads straight for one of the crab's eye stalks. She slaps it hard enough to break an oak, but was really just trying to get it's anger up so that it was more focused on her than all else. "Think again, shrimp for brains! That was a gift, and you weren't the recipient! Take your jealousy back to the depths where you came from!" she taunts to it as she flies past and behind it, hoping to force it to turn away from the crowd, pearl, and stage and come for her back over the water.

Provoke: 2d6 ⇒ (4, 6) = 10
Goal is to basically taunt it to fight me instead of anyone else, while hopefully forgetting about the pearl for now to deal with this "upstart land dweller."

These are just my 2 cents in regards to your points in the original combat post, so it is by no means official. I figure Praetoria, being the figure head and speaker on stage, is likely leading the show in this scene and as such...
• If the leader has Influence over every
teammate, add another Team. Nope
• If everyone has the same purpose
in the fight, add another Team. I'd say this counts. Defeat the crabs and protect the pearl and civilians.
• If any team member mistrusts the
leader or the team, remove a Team. Yup, at the very least I doubt Scorch trusts Praetoria.
• If your team is ill-prepared or offbalance,
remove a Team. I can only imagine this caught us off guard.


Frostbite: since Gallowglass assisted your roll, you successfully defended the Pearl for the moment. You didn't get Potential (since you succeeded), but you get to add a Team or take Influence over someone you protected -- you don't have any conditions to clear, but that's also an option if you defend someone in the future. Since you can't take Influence over an inanimate object, obviously, I'll let you take Influence over Uzlay Undine if you'd like. You also have to choose whether your action escalated the situation, or if it exposed you to danger. That's up to you.


[X] [X] [X] [X] [ ] Labels: Da: 2 Fr: 2 Sa: -1 Su: 1 Mu: 1 | Conditions: Angry
Influence:
Praetoria, Frostbite, Isaiah

As the crabs appear and the team launch into action, Scorch runs forward and dives off the edge of the stage, flames enveloping her body as she rises into the sky and circles round to survey the scene. At Praetoria’s words, she nods and leans forward, streaking towards one of the crabs holding back the crowd, skimming just over its head.

provoke it to move to a track me and thus leave a way out for the crowd.: 2d6 + 1 ⇒ (1, 4) + 1 = 6


Mosaic Labels: Danger: -1 Freak: +1 Savior: 0 Superior: +3 Mundane: 0 | Conditions: none
Influence:
Influences: Gallowglass, Psyche, Praetoria, Isaiah. [+b]Influenced By:[/b] Rory, Praetoria, Gallowglass, Isaiah, Horizon
Potential 3/5

Holly freezes momentarily. This was supposed to be a nice ceremony, not a battlefield. But Praetoria, and scorch and frostbite and all the others were already in action, and she couldn't fail them now.

her power is turned up to full, between the spotlights, and the light shining into Halcyon's newest seaside ampitheater, shards swarm to her. all the others were distracting the big one, or getting the civilians out. Those were important, better to leave that to them, She would keep the mecha-crabs off of the others.

She sends the shards to swarm the 4 crabs coming at the stage. they are engulfed in a disorienting whirlwind of multicoloured triangle-ishes, restricting their movements, and trying to restrain them, if they get the opportunity.

directly engage: 2d6 - 1 ⇒ (5, 3) - 1 = 7

Impress, surprise or frighten


Influence:
Influence on: Psyche, Scorch, Isaiah, Shin, Siphon
|Potential:[x][x][x][][] Labels - Da: 1 Fr: 1 Sa: 1 Su: 2 Mu: 1 | Conditions: Hopeless, Guilty,

Add one Team and expose myself to danger.


------------
2 Team
------------

The nascent team responds to the marine behemoth in heroic fashion. Psyche rises into the air as she charges up her powers while Praetoria flies directly at the monstrosity.

Frostbite sends a blast of supercooled air at the pincer moving toward the Pearl, freezing the seawater still cascading off it. The icy rime slows down the massive appendage but doesn't seem to stop it. As the protege unleashes a massive polar vortex, Gallowglass sends a flare arrow directly into the crab's eyestalks. It flinches just barely, but that pause gives Frostbite the opening he needs to tip the stalemate.

However, as focused as Frostbite was on the pincer going towards the Pearl, he misses the second claw that snatches him up in its massive vise. Frostbite, you're trapped in a gigantic pincer and being squeezed! Take a powerful blow.

Horizon takes aim at the smaller crabs, but all of a sudden the panicked screaming by the crowd ceases in eerie unison. Then after a half-second pause, the people begin running away in all directions, even toward the crabs surrounding them. Horizon's shot is ruined by the fleeing bystanders getting in the way, running everywhere.

Isaiah draws Inquiry's data feed and performs innumerable assessments on the nature of the threats that appeared from the ocean. The large amount of living matter on the hull of the big one makes it difficult to tell, but it seems to be artificial. He quickly assesses the smaller crabs are the most vulnerable, being remotely-piloted drones that his varia-bolters can harm. The behemoth, however, will require a greater sort of weapon or some other means to breach its carapace.

Praetoria smacks an eyestalk as thick as a telephone pole, and confirms that it is made of metal. Her taunt, however, goes against deaf ears. The behemoth doesn't turn to follow her as it clearly doesn't feel that she's any sort of threat. Sorry about the great roll, but the crab isn't susceptible to your words yet. You might need to engage it and impress, surprise or frighten it. And it wasn't a bad move; lots of enemies will be susceptible based on your Legacy. Just not this one.

Scorch tries a similar move with the smaller crabs, streaking over them and trying to draw their attention. However, they don't seem to be paying any attention to her.

Mosaic remains on the stage where the Oceanics stand shivering in the spot near Frostbite unleashed his powers. The angular light show coalesces around the crab tanks, disrupting their sensors. Three go spinning off into harmless directions, pincers flailing wildly. However, one veers directly into the stage scaffolding and its powerful claws slice the support struts. A heavy speaker comes down directly towards Mosaic! Take a heavy blow

The remaining crab tanks each reach out with their pincers and grab one of the fleeing crowd. Soon they all have one or two hostages caught struggling in their claws.

The booming voice echoes out of the behemoth once more. "I am taking the Pearl back to the ocean! Resist further and these surface dwellers will pay the price!"

What do you do?


Labels: Guilty Danger: 3 Freak: 2 Savior: -2 Superior: 2 Mundane: -1 | Current Burn: 0 | Conditions: | Team Pool: 1
Influence:
Influenced by: Frostbite, Mosaic, Praetoria, Scorch - Not The Judge | Influences: Frostbite, Isaiah, Praetoria, Scorch, The Crab

Are the crabs that were corralling the bystanders not floating?


They're land-bound. They crawled down the legs of the big one to the ground, and are all on the ground now.


Potential: 2/5 4A Labels: Danger: -2 Freak: +1 Savior: +2 Superior: 0 Mundane: +2 | Conditions: Guilty, Hopeless
Influence:
Influenced by: Isaiah, Praetoria, Ballista, Psyche / Influences: Scorch, Mosaic, Frostbite, Psyche, Ballista, PATIENT X, Sarah

Chaos. It was chaos everywhere, and Horizon had no shot. Worse, he could see that the panicking civilians were being snatched up by the crabs and held hostage. He needed to help, but his powers weren't up to the task of saving them.

The snap of support struts draws his eyes to the beautifully dressed Mosaic, a tumbling speaker headed towards her.

"HOLLY!" He shouts as energy bursts from his arms, propelling him forward to knock her out of its path. He was just reacting without thinking long term now - just to try and make sure people didn't get hurt.

Defending Mosaic From Falling Speaker(Savior): 2d6 + 1 ⇒ (2, 3) + 1 = 6

Oof, can't really say he's acting selfishly to try and protect a teammate, so I can't justify using a Team to shift labels there. Though if someone is able to help, he might just get there in time.


Labels: Guilty Danger: 3 Freak: 2 Savior: -2 Superior: 2 Mundane: -1 | Current Burn: 0 | Conditions: | Team Pool: 1
Influence:
Influenced by: Frostbite, Mosaic, Praetoria, Scorch - Not The Judge | Influences: Frostbite, Isaiah, Praetoria, Scorch, The Crab

Sorry, to clarify: My unleash was intended to be for "As one, the smaller crabs that were corralling the onlookers jerked, and slowly began to float into the air."
The Worship effect was just a rider on using Unleash (though I'm absolutely on board with the unintended mob effect)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Influence:
Influence on: Psyche, Scorch, Isaiah, Shin, Siphon
|Potential:[x][x][x][][] Labels - Da: 1 Fr: 1 Sa: 1 Su: 2 Mu: 1 | Conditions: Hopeless, Guilty,

Take a Powerful Blow: 2d6 ⇒ (1, 1) = 2

When you take a powerful blow, roll+Conditions marked.
On a 10+, choose 1:
● You must remove yourself from the situation. Flee, pass out, etc.
● You lose control of yourself or your powers in a terrible way.
● Two options from the 7-9 list.


On a 7-9, choose 1:
● You lash out verbally: provoke a teammate to foolhardy action or take advantage of your Influence to inflict a condition.
● You give ground; your opposition gets an opportunity.
● You struggle past the pain; mark two conditions.


On a miss, you stand strong. Mark potential as normal, and say how you weather the blow.

Locked into the powerful pincer Frostbite surrounds himself in icy armor stopping the crab from crushing him.
Ice try there crabby!


Potential: [x] [] [] [] [] | Conditions: Guilty|
Influence::
Horizon, Gallowglass, Frostbite, Psych, Scorch, Mosaic, Stone (Racist)
New Costume Reference Image Danger: +1, Freak: 0, Savior: +3, Superior: 0, Mundane: 0

Engage: 2d6 ⇒ (3, 6) = 9

Praetoria sees the predicament Frostbite is in, and that the metal crab thing seems to be some sort of robotic vehicle or something. "It's a machine!" she calls out as she wheels around and dives right between it's eye stalks.

When she lands, she tries to punch her fists into the metal between the stalks, and tries to pry the metal away to expose what lies beneath!

Going to try to create an opportunity by peeling some of the outer metal away. Reveal some machinery or wiring, open up enough for one of us to slip inside, etc.


[x] [x] [x] [] [] | Danger -1, Freak -1, Savior +2, Superior +2, Mundane +1, influenced by: Horizon, Mosaic, Praetoria; has influence on: Praetoria, Isaiah; conditions: none

"Hey, Titani-Crab, hold up a sec!" Gallowglass raises her hands in a conciliatory gesture and hollers,

"Is the Pearl what you really want? Is war? Because maybe you can knock us around and take the Pearl, or maybe we take advantage of the hole Praetoria just ripped in your carapace and clean your clock...but if what you really want is cleaner oceans, maybe we should team up instead!

"I agree that oil spills and the Great Pacific Garbage Patch suck. We humans can be pretty thoughtless...but if you're willing to give Peace another chance, I bet we could really help to fix things with our awesome super powers. Maybe we can even persuade humans to treat the sea with more respect!

"What do you say?"

Throughout Gallowglass's soliloquy, Bear looks up at Titani-Crab with loving puppy dog eyes.

Support: 2d6 + 3 ⇒ (6, 4) + 3 = 13


[X] [X] [X] [X] [ ] Labels: Da: 2 Fr: 2 Sa: -1 Su: 1 Mu: 1 | Conditions: Angry
Influence:
Praetoria, Frostbite, Isaiah

The booming voice’s threat,coupled with Fristbite’s being seized by the crab, causes Scorch pause and she circles round and upward to hover in place and survey the scene, looking for a way to sever the link between the behemoth and it’s smaller siblings.

Assess the situation: 2d6 + 1 ⇒ (2, 3) + 1 = 6


Psyche. wrote:

Sorry, to clarify: My unleash was intended to be for "As one, the smaller crabs that were corralling the onlookers jerked, and slowly began to float into the air."

The Worship effect was just a rider on using Unleash (though I'm absolutely on board with the unintended mob effect)

I have no idea how I missed that. Sorry. To avoid a full retcon, I'll just say that 1d8 ⇒ 4 were oriented so they could snatch up a bystander. The others were suspended awkwardly in the air and couldn't grab at anyone.

Praetoria finds the metal to be thick and reinforced; it takes all her strength to peel back a small section. As she does so, the eyestalks retreat back into its carapace and the ice-rimed claw smashes down into her. The coating of ice shatters over the newest Praetorian. Take a powerful blow

Frostbite's ice armor and pun protects him from the massive claw. Do you want to take another move?

When the claw returns to its usual position, the eyestalks re-extend in time to hear and observe Gallowglass' speech. The voice softens, losing its booming quality, as the crab responds to her. "Your powers cannot undo what billions of people do. Now stand aside. I'm taking the Pearl." Gallowglass, he opened up so you can add a Team (you don't have a condition yet)

I'm going to hold off on Horizon's and Scorch's moves, in case someone decides to spend a Team in order to assist.
------------------
3 Team
------------------


Mosaic Labels: Danger: -1 Freak: +1 Savior: 0 Superior: +3 Mundane: 0 | Conditions: none
Influence:
Influences: Gallowglass, Psyche, Praetoria, Isaiah. [+b]Influenced By:[/b] Rory, Praetoria, Gallowglass, Isaiah, Horizon
Potential 3/5

Holly throws herself to the side, and comes up to a crouch, ripping the skirt of her dress and providing a solid reminder of why heroes wear the funny outfits. if anyone was paying attention to her, they would notice she was shaking, her chest heaving.

powerful blow: 2d6 ⇒ (2, 2) = 4
Marking potential

I've got the hostages Holly shouts, sending her shards flying toward the crabs with hostages, some forming platforms for the hostages to safely fall to, the rest attacking the claws and sensors, or wedging into the claws and leveraging them open.

directly engage: 2d6 - 3 ⇒ (1, 5) - 3 = 3

marking more... uh-oh


Labels: Danger -2 Freak +1 Savior +2 Superior +2 Mundane +1 | Conditions: Guilty
Influence:
Horizon, Praetoria, Mosaic
Potential: 2/5 Current PN device: Manavore Circuitry

Isaiah prepared to engage the crabs, slotting in a Jammerspike crystal... and then he heard Gallowglass' speech, and the crab's reaction to it. Perhaps the was an opportunity for creation here, rather than destruction.

"And do you really think that taking the Pearl will make anything better? Sure you'll make a statement, but you'll just do down in history as a petty thief. If you have some grand plan to use it to clean the oceans, you should have just asked, not come storming in with a giant crab-mech to make an even bigger mess.." Isaiah waved at the wreckage and ruin the titan-crab had left in its wake, plenty of it already washing into the ocean. "And if not, why even bother with the theft? A war would just pollute both sides further. Why not put those crab-bots to productive use, instead of smashing things, hurting people, and making everything worse?"

Provoke+Superior: 2d6 + 2 ⇒ (2, 6) + 2 = 10

Trying to get him to realize the consequenses of his actions. Not really sure what that falls under, though. Mechanically, possibly an attempt to make him stumble?


Potential: [x] [] [] [] [] | Conditions: Guilty|
Influence::
Horizon, Gallowglass, Frostbite, Psych, Scorch, Mosaic, Stone (Racist)
New Costume Reference Image Danger: +1, Freak: 0, Savior: +3, Superior: 0, Mundane: 0

Never Give Up, Never Surrender: 2d6 + 2 ⇒ (2, 6) + 2 = 10 I don't get why this one is backwards, it confuses me. Lemme know the result and I'll post some flavor. I think I end up with this: "On a miss, you go down hard but leave your opponent off balance and vulnerable."


Praetoria, it's not backwards -- You got a hit, so you stand strong and can choose from the list. A miss is when you roll a 6 or less. When you take a powerful blow, you want to miss. This Legacy move changes it back to a more traditional move where high = good.


Labels: Guilty Danger: 3 Freak: 2 Savior: -2 Superior: 2 Mundane: -1 | Current Burn: 0 | Conditions: | Team Pool: 1
Influence:
Influenced by: Frostbite, Mosaic, Praetoria, Scorch - Not The Judge | Influences: Frostbite, Isaiah, Praetoria, Scorch, The Crab

Idiot! What were you thinking? You shouted at a herd of cattle, why wouldn't you expect a stampede?

She had to get closer for this, there really wasn't room for error in what she was planning. Descending lower and lower until she stood with, she focused her might on the claws that actually held the remaining hostages.

Directly Engage: 2d6 + 1 ⇒ (4, 2) + 1 = 7 I'll take the hostages from the Miniature Crab-bots, Giant

With a series of cracks, those claws began to open, spreading apart well beyond their tolerance, but slowly, too slowly for her to just flit away to safety again...


Potential: 2/5 4A Labels: Danger: -2 Freak: +1 Savior: +2 Superior: 0 Mundane: +2 | Conditions: Guilty, Hopeless
Influence:
Influenced by: Isaiah, Praetoria, Ballista, Psyche / Influences: Scorch, Mosaic, Frostbite, Psyche, Ballista, PATIENT X, Sarah

Shin's sudden burst of speed was for naught as Mosaic dodges the speaker. He's glad that she's all right, and he looks for a way to help out the rest of the team. Hopefully Holly hadn't noticed he wasnt able to help her.

Seeing Scorch surveying the scene from above, he does the same from below, sure that she must be looking for a weakness of some kind. "What are you peeping for, Scorch?" He asks. Using a team to assist Scorch in assessing the situation.


[x] [x] [x] [] [] | Danger -1, Freak -1, Savior +2, Superior +2, Mundane +1, influenced by: Horizon, Mosaic, Praetoria; has influence on: Praetoria, Isaiah; conditions: none

I know this system is looser then strict initiative...and at this point I'm a bit confused. As I understand it, Horizon attempted to defend Holy and got a 6 (a dangerous miss, if no one assists him). Then Holly took the blow (without harm, since she rolled low ...though she's going to be in trouble soon for her miss on Directly Engaging). Meanwhile I was soliloquizing and Isaiah has tried to support my argument...and Scorch rolled a miss that Horizon is trying to assist. I think I'm going to wait for a DM post to clarify, but I'm happy to assist Horizon so his Defend doesn't become a miss, if there's time to do so. (I'm thinking that I might see the big speaker about to land on HIM and so I do a parkour jump off of it, making sure it missed him too.)


Assisting by spending Team isn't a move. However, your assist should be a realistic part of the narrative. If you're on the other side of the city or swallowed in the gullet of a robotic T-rex, it's not really feasible for you to assist. Unless you can creatively explain how!


Potential: 2/5 4A Labels: Danger: -2 Freak: +1 Savior: +2 Superior: 0 Mundane: +2 | Conditions: Guilty, Hopeless
Influence:
Influenced by: Isaiah, Praetoria, Ballista, Psyche / Influences: Scorch, Mosaic, Frostbite, Psyche, Ballista, PATIENT X, Sarah

So if that's the case, Gallowglass uses a team to help Horizon succeed in defending Mosaic, but with him suffering for it in some way. Then he uses a Team to help out Scorch identify a weakness, so long as he's still in the fight. That's much more clear. Good to work out the kinks early on so later fights go smoother.


[x] [x] [x] [] [] | Danger -1, Freak -1, Savior +2, Superior +2, Mundane +1, influenced by: Horizon, Mosaic, Praetoria; has influence on: Praetoria, Isaiah; conditions: none

Thanks! In that case...

Gallowglass sees Horizon push Holly out of the way of the massive speaker...and that in doing so it could well crush her new friend from the past.

As it topples toward him, Gallowglass does a flip and kicks the speaker, hoping to help Horizon succeed.

Spend 1 team to get Horizon to 7


No, I don't see where anyone tried to help you defend Mosaic. But it's okay, since Mosaic avoided the blow anyway. Horizon is helping Scorch with her assess the situation. Ideally, however, you should try to explain how you help her out -- this is where you get to combine your powers in some way. Maybe you send a pulse of radiation that she can detect through her fire control, and thus trace the signal? Any kind of comic-booky explanation will work.

And absolutely, this is for everyone to get a feel for the system.

Edit: All right, Gallowglass is assisting. Okay, then. So, Horizon doesn't get potential for the miss, has to choose whether he escalates the situation or exposes himself to danger, and decides whether to take Influence over Mosaic or add a Team (still no conditions for him to clear).


Influence:
Influence on: Psyche, Scorch, Isaiah, Shin, Siphon
|Potential:[x][x][x][][] Labels - Da: 1 Fr: 1 Sa: 1 Su: 2 Mu: 1 | Conditions: Hopeless, Guilty,

I would like to use my powers to freeze the crab making it's metal more brittle, that would be Directly Engage correct?


Potential: 2/5 4A Labels: Danger: -2 Freak: +1 Savior: +2 Superior: 0 Mundane: +2 | Conditions: Guilty, Hopeless
Influence:
Influenced by: Isaiah, Praetoria, Ballista, Psyche / Influences: Scorch, Mosaic, Frostbite, Psyche, Ballista, PATIENT X, Sarah

Shin focuses his power, thinking how best to help Scorch. So far, he'd only used his powers to release photonic energy, but what if he tried a different kind of radiation? Shift the wavelength to infrared to give her a better view?

"Let's test the hypothesis, then!" He says lifting his arms and spreading his hands out at the giant crab, bombarding it with invisible infrared photons, hopefully marking some hot spots for Scorch.

1 to 50 of 3,633 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Halcyon Days of Youth -- Masks All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.