thelordoftheonering runs "The Disappeared" (Inactive)

Game Master Luke_Parry

Current Map

Current Combat

Time expired: 65 minutes
Strikes: 0


301 to 350 of 359 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>
Silver Crusade

Male Elf Fighter 1/Wizard 1

Staying chilly.

Silver Crusade

Maintaining Inspire Courage (everyone's +1 to hit, +1 to damage), 5' step up to Anaduno's side, and burning another charge. Woohoo!!

Cure Light Wounds on Anaduno: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

Sovereign Court

Round 3:

Mella steps to a flanking position with Anaduno, but unfortunately, the unconscious fighter does not prove to be enough of a distraction, and the chair dodges out of the way.

Bo'alo throws out a powerful swing which splinters wood, but the chair gamely continues to put up a fierce resistance to the intruders into its library...

Janalun scores a hit, but his weapon bounces off the chair's surprisingly sturdy back, doing no significant damage.

The blow did not beat its hardness.

Anaduno continues to remain blissfully unaware of the fierce battle around him...

Round 4:

Lila steps up, and touches Anaduno with her wand again; this time, it performs better, healing a much more significant part of his wound.

Chair: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11, for 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4.

Its arms lashing wildly, the chair attacks Bo'alo, but he easily dodges out of the way.

Round 4: Lila, Chair, Mella, Bo'alo, Janalun, Anaduno

Party is up :-)

Silver Crusade

Aasimar Paladin 2 HP: 18/18 | AC: 19 | T: 10 | FF: 19 | CMD: 15 | Fort: +7 | Ref: +3| Will: +7 | Init: +0 | Perc: +2 | Sense Motive: +4

Mella wisely decides to flank with a conscious opponent this time, stepping in behind Bo'alo and giving her mighty swing!

Powerattack longsword: 1d20 + 5 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 5 + 2 + 1 = 28
Damage: 1d8 + 3 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 3 + 2 + 1 = 8

Confirm Powerattack longsword: 1d20 + 5 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 5 + 2 + 1 = 11
Damage: 1d8 + 3 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 3 + 2 + 1 = 13

Silver Crusade

Male Elf Fighter 1/Wizard 1

On the floor and next to the violent chair, Anaduno thinks twice about standing up, and instead draws his handaxe and attacks from the floor.

Silver handaxe: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7
Damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

He looks around and, seeing Lila's wand out, grunts a thanks.

Grand Lodge

Male Mwangi Human Pistolero Gunslinger 1/Drunken Master Monk 1 (HP 17/17; AC 17/FF 10/ T17; F +5; R +7; W +5; Init +9; Perception +8)

We got to hurry and get back to da boss lady

Have forgotten to include the inspire courage
1d20 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 4 + 1 = 111d8 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 3 + 1 = 7

Silver Crusade

Male Gnome Oracle 1 | AC 17 T 13 FF 15 | HP 10/10 | F +2 R +2 W +2 | Init +1 | Perc +1

Aquan:
"Blasted woody bugger! I'll wallop you good this time!"

Janalun takes another hardy swing at the chair.
attack: 1d20 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 3 + 2 = 20
damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8

Sovereign Court

Just waiting on Lila :-)

Silver Crusade

maintain Inspire Courage (+1 to hit, +1 damage), Cure light on Anaduno, and 5' step back.

cure light: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

Sovereign Court

Round 4:

Mella deals a solid blow to the chair, narrowly avoiding turning it into kindling...

Bo'alo takes a swing, but his blow goes wide.

Janalun deals a solid hit to the chair, shouting in a language which sounds like gurgling water.

Anaduno (appropriately!) draws a hand-axe, and takes a swing from the ground at the chair's legs, but his aim is hampered by being prone, and he fails to connect.

Round 5:

Lila takes a deep breath, and heals Anaduno again, before carefully stepping away from the homicidal chair.

Chair: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24, for 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9 damage.

Grapple: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11, for 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6 damage.

This time, the chair slams Janalun, but despite being nearly staggered by the blow, he manages to fight-off its grasping arms, and avoids being squeezed.

Round 5: Lila, Chair, Mella, Bo'alo, Janalun, Anaduno

Party is up.

Silver Crusade

Aasimar Paladin 2 HP: 18/18 | AC: 19 | T: 10 | FF: 19 | CMD: 15 | Fort: +7 | Ref: +3| Will: +7 | Init: +0 | Perc: +2 | Sense Motive: +4

Powerattack longsword: 1d20 + 5 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 5 + 2 + 1 = 24
Damage: 1d8 + 3 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 3 + 2 + 1 = 11

Silver Crusade

Male Gnome Oracle 1 | AC 17 T 13 FF 15 | HP 10/10 | F +2 R +2 W +2 | Init +1 | Perc +1

Aquan:
"Oh this is definitely not good..."

Janalun mutters as he takes a step away from the lethal seat and casts a spell.
Cure Light: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

Silver Crusade

Male Elf Fighter 1/Wizard 1

Anaduno curses his miss, but tries again from the floor, still unwilling to put himself at risk of attack again.

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21
1d6 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

Grand Lodge

Male Mwangi Human Pistolero Gunslinger 1/Drunken Master Monk 1 (HP 17/17; AC 17/FF 10/ T17; F +5; R +7; W +5; Init +9; Perception +8)

swing away
1d20 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 4 + 1 = 161d8 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 3 + 1 = 8

Silver Crusade

Lila will maintain Inspire Courage (+1 to hit, +1 dam), and circle around the bookcase south of her, taking a double move to the space two squares due West of the chair (and one square due North of the retreating Janulan, i believe)

Sovereign Court

Mella deals a powerful blow to the chair, cleaving a great swathe of destruction through its back; although almost split in half, it continues functioning.

Janalun steps away, looking somewhat concerned, and heals himself.

Anaduno gamely swings at the chair, but although his weapon makes contact, it bounces off without doing any true harm.

Bo'alo takes a swing which *barely* manages to hit the chair, but it is enough to finish the job that Mella started; the chair tumbles to the ground, reduced to kindling, out of which tumbles an exquisitely carved jade amulet (non-magical).

Combat over.

Sovereign Court

The party then turns to quickly exploring the library:

Internal Security - Evidence:

Lila quickly (after one minute) discovers an interesting pile of documents in Evidence Locker #A23: The evidence used to indict Zarta consists of a series of letters written in a halting hand that resembles the paracountess’s. Upon closer examination, however, the letters’ writing differs significantly from the note found in Zarta’s study. The forged letters are addressed to a prominent House Thrune enemy, and in them “Zarta” discusses selling privileged Chelish information supposedly meant to foment political insurrection. Zarta’s personal travel logs, written in her natural hand, are also included. While the first entry—a trip to Absalom’s Ivy District—does indeed match with the letters’ indication of Zarta’s supposed treasonous activities, the second entry proves the paracountess was away from Absalom during a time the letters claim she met with her conspirators in the Petal District.

Foreign Ministry - Personnel:

Anaduno quickly goes through the shelving (again, after one minute), and determines that there is no relevant information there.

Internal Security - Receipts:

After five minutes of increasingly feverish searching, Lila finds what *might* be a relevant document...

Prisoner Receipt

...but it appears to be in code.

I need you to translate it to make sure it holds the information you need, and I need you to tell me how much 'real world' time it takes to do so - if we were sitting around a table, I would be using a stop-watch.

Silver Crusade

I took two minutes using Anaduno's key just to translate
Destination:
CITADEL VRAIS
Are we familiar with that place--I should probably double check that second word, but didn't want to take that much time, we gotta run.

Also is there anything around the room with designation A23? I didn't bother with rest of line, but the last three characters/digits of DESIGNATION are
A23
(maybe Anaduno could work the Designation line for 2 minutes real time?).

Also, noticed the prisoner number is same as 4th in list we found, which Anaduno translated as Tancre_ Desimire

But we need to get in the vent/figure out another way out?

Sovereign Court

Well, you *did* find the evidence implicating Zarta in Locker #A23...

As previously mentioned, there is an 'official' exit from the library... "the main door appears to be locked; and it is so heavily warded that it *glows*." Other than that, you just have the vent...

Silver Crusade

Forgive the brain cramp, but did we use all three keys? The first was for the waiting room. We used one in the secret door/devil door--was that the key with Zarta's seal on it, or the one with Asmodean cross? And is there a keyhole in the main double doors that looks like it might take one of our keys. i.e. maybe the Asmodean cross key?

Sovereign Court

The Asmodean cross key was the one that opened the secret door. Looking at the library door, you don't think you have a key that can open it.

Silver Crusade

figgered that'd be too easy. Oh well.

So what'll it be lads? See if we get blowed up by the glowing door o' DOOM (tm), or start scrambling back through the vent, and hope when we get out of the vent this is Dust of disappearance that can cover us and we make a mad dash to escape? I might even be willing to try and go back to the waiting room by myself and try and bluff my way out--you take the evidence and try to sneak out while I keep the ambassador distracted handing over the intel Valsin gave us to turn over as cover for the mission, telling the ambassador that, against my objections, you went to take in the festivities and I haven't seen you since. I'd assume it probably wouldn't be a death sentence if the ambassador doesn't believe me--one hopes.(would Lila/the players know that kind of thing?) Heck, if we just remember Citadel Vrais, and we can get out alive, that might be enough. Maybe we could climb up into the vent, and while hiding inside there , fully translate the intel, we all do our best to memorize the important parts, and then shred/burn/eat(?) the incriminating evidence so we're not carrying anything out? then try to sneak out, and if we get caught, it's, hey, we just went looking around. Nice party.

Silver Crusade

Male Gnome Oracle 1 | AC 17 T 13 FF 15 | HP 10/10 | F +2 R +2 W +2 | Init +1 | Perc +1

Patching himself up one last time Janalun replies
cure light: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6

"Well there's no way we're making our way back in time now, and shiny secretive doors tend to always be a bad sign. I say lying through our teeth is our only real option right now. To be fair I did rather like the idea of enjoying the party a bit had we extra time."

Sovereign Court

Well, once I have some consensus (or at least an indication of actual action, rather than simply talking about it), I will react accordingly ;-)

Silver Crusade

Aasimar Paladin 2 HP: 18/18 | AC: 19 | T: 10 | FF: 19 | CMD: 15 | Fort: +7 | Ref: +3| Will: +7 | Init: +0 | Perc: +2 | Sense Motive: +4

"Perhaps something behind the door will help mitigate our impending failure?"

Silver Crusade

"I'm worried opening the glowing door will set off all sorts of alarms, even if it doesn't kill us--and they'll know we were in their secret/warded library archives. I vote we hide in the vent system long enough to memorize the intel, then leave any incriminating evidence behind and try to sneak/bluff our way out. Who knows, maybe we'll get lucky and be able to have a drink before the guards nab us. Bo, Anaduno, door or vent?"

Sovereign Court

Think of the Chelish security forces as being a bit like the East German police - once the alarm is raised, they are unlikely to stop until they find what they are looking for (or you get off Chelish soil).

Also, if you leave behind what you have discovered, you will be leaving behind the actual *proof* that Zarta is innocent, which may not be a good idea...

In terms of exits, there are actually relatively few that you are aware of... the 'secret door' you entered the building by; the big glass windows in the 'staging area' to the southeast of the building (which you could jump through); and the fence in the garden area (which you could climb).

EDIT: I just realised that this is my 7,000th post :-)

Silver Crusade

>>EDIT: I just realised that this is my 7,000th post :-)
Wow. I knew this module was taking awhile.... j.k. Congrats, you posting fool!

Hadn't realized there were any options other than door we came in. Good news...I hope.

"Let's hustle back through the vent--listen carefully before leaving vent. We have the Dust ready, and at the first indication guards have been put on alert and are nearby, huddle up and try and cover everyone, then run for the staging area and out the window. Don't know how much the dust can cover, or how long it lasts, so as soon as you're invisible, just hustle for staging area room. If we don't have enough to cover everyone, I can be the outermost member of the huddle, since I probably have the best chance of bluffing my way out. I'll have the evidence packet Valsin gave us, and one of the folks definitely covered with dust has the evidence we collected about Zarta--maybe Bo, since he probably has best movement/chance to escape if it things get really hairy. And if there's only enough Dust for one, again, use it on Bo and let him try and get out while we bluff, or fight retreating action if necessary."

Why do I have this image of us huddling behind the closed secret door. We hear guards in the next room. So we're being all stealthy, whip out the dust...and it's Dust of Sneezing--that's an old AD&D item, don't know if it's migrated through the editions over the years, but it'd be classic, rendering ourselves defenseless with sneezing fits and alerting the guards we're hiding behind the secret door... Of course, if it's Dust of Appearance, might screw up any attempts at stealth as well... not to be too cynical. LOL

Silver Crusade

iirc, we still have one potion of Hiding available as well (Janalun took one). If so, have Bo drink that as well. He's the man we need to get out, if all else fails. Make sense?

Silver Crusade

or did Anaduno drink it? Pain meds and time are making it a bit fuzzy...and I'm rambling. sorry about that.

Silver Crusade

Male Gnome Oracle 1 | AC 17 T 13 FF 15 | HP 10/10 | F +2 R +2 W +2 | Init +1 | Perc +1

"I'm a might bit reluctant leaving at least one of our fates up to an unidentified powder, and I'm definitely against us all being covered in the stuff if it's hazardous to what we're doing.Let's just stick to one person shall we?"

Silver Crusade

Male Elf Fighter 1/Wizard 1

In two minutes, Ananduno deciphers both "Indefinite" and "Traitor - Evidence ... locker I23".

"I'm pretty quick on the move, and can be stealthy enough. Mella is likely the best for the potion - I haven't consumed it yet. Ready to haul when you are!"

Anaduno starts making his way to the vent

HA! I think that'd be pretty perfect, really.

Grand Lodge

Male Mwangi Human Pistolero Gunslinger 1/Drunken Master Monk 1 (HP 17/17; AC 17/FF 10/ T17; F +5; R +7; W +5; Init +9; Perception +8)

I can git out quick like tru dat window and make sneaky off into da night. If I git in trouble I can make loud noise and you come runnin an help a po mwangi out. ye hear?

Silver Crusade

So it looks like into the vent we go. Either pull vent back on, or try and use Mage Hand and/or Open/Close cantrips to get vent head in Library back in place after we're inside. Lila has the intel Valsin gave us to give to the ambassador, Bo has the bag of dust and the evidence we've pulled together. Mella can take the potion of hiding--if she likes, and perhaps Bo can use the cloak, in case the dust runs out/something hits us before he uses the dust--but hold off on using the dust until you're in the clear to make a break for it.

"We can still hope to get back to the Waiting Room, but if things get out of hand, try and escape out the window of staging area. May the light of Sarenrae guide us..."

Sovereign Court

Alright then...

Wisely deciding to leave the 'official' entrance to the library alone, the party climbs back into the vent, pulling the grate into place behind them, before making their way back through the vent system to Zarta's chambers.

As written, this takes another five minutes.

Upon recognising that no-one is present in the room, the party piles out into it. Immediately, everyone hears a Message from Amara Li, who sounds completely beside herself.

"Where in the Nine Hells are you!? I delayed the Ambassador for as long as I could, but he went to the waiting room five minutes ago. I hope that you found what you were looking for, because you need to get out, *now*; I would not be surprised if he called the guards any second..."

Let me know what you want to do.

Silver Crusade

Male Gnome Oracle 1 | AC 17 T 13 FF 15 | HP 10/10 | F +2 R +2 W +2 | Init +1 | Perc +1

Janalun whispers to his companions
"I do believe that is our cue to flee."

Silver Crusade

"Let's hustle back to the door leading to the main hallway, though we should take a brief pause and listen at each door before entering the room. Then take a good listen at the door to the main hallway. We don't want to start running until we have to, because that could bring guards even quicker," Lila says. "If it doesn't sound like running guards and/or voices raised in the main hallway, hold off on the dust and head for the servants' quarters door to the south/southwest, so if someone in the main hallway tells the guards which way we went, they might be sent the wrong way. We're not trying to defeat the guards, we're trying to get away. Distraction and misdirection as best we can."

Lila takes a deep breath and continues. "I still think we should all try and use the Dust when the time comes. We found the dust & cloak hidden in the vent in Zarta's secret room, which also had clues and evidence--it seems extremely unlikely that it would be cursed. More likely it was Zarta's Plan B, though she didn't get to use it. Don't know if Dust of Disappearance can cover more than one person, but I think it's worth a shot. Again, I'll be the odd person out if it can only cover four people, though if you, Janalun, don't want to be covered with the stuff, I understand."

Then Lila uses the other Disguise Self Scroll to make herself look like Anstrella Trelax. "At this point, can't hurt to look like night-duty officer, and it might give us some small advantage if we run into guards. Heck, even if we run into the real Anstrella with guards, I can try pointing at Anstrella and screaming 'There's the imposter.' It might at least get us surprise/initiative."

Silver Crusade

Male Elf Fighter 1/Wizard 1

Anaduno nods, ready to haul at a moment's notice. "Lead the way then!"

Sovereign Court

Oh, the dust can *definitely* cover everyone - all dusts cover a 10' spread :-)

Hearts in mouths, the group gathers around the door; Lila pulls out the bag of dust, and empties it upon the floor - the party then completely disappears.

2d6 ⇒ (3, 6) = 9

Easing open the door, you see that the corridor beyond still has servants moving through it, but there is a guard part-way down it, who appears to be checking the servants' identification papers.

Fortunately, no-one notices the door opening.

Quickly moving across the hall to the servants' wing, the party is able to move with alacrity down the shabbier, completely unoccupied corridor, and move into the staging area in the south-east corner of the building.

Here, there is again a single guard, who has had all of the serving staff form two neat columns, and is quickly checking their identification papers.

The enormous windows in this room beckon... You can almost taste freedom!

Let me know what you want to do.

Silver Crusade

Male Elf Fighter 1/Wizard 1

GM, could you approximate our location on the "Current Map"? Just a dot would do. Thanks!

Sovereign Court

As per the 'Current Map' link, you are in the room in the south-east corner of the building, with the two large tables.

Silver Crusade

Male Elf Fighter 1/Wizard 1

Whoops, I read 'south-west' earlier. My mistake! Going to sleep on the next decision.

Silver Crusade

Do the windows look like they can be opened, or are they fixed in place, i.e. can we unlatch and swing them open, or do we have to smash them?
How many servants?
Where is the guard positioned, and would it be possible to hit only him with a sleep spell (e.g. target five feet behind him, so the 10' radius burst contains just him)?

Silver Crusade

and do all of them appear to be human (i.e. any elves, etc?)

Sovereign Court

To answer your questions:

The windows appear to be fixed; you would need to jump through them, but most certainly can do so; fortunately, plate glass does not exist in Golarion ;-)

The area was a hive of activity; there are a dozen servants in the room.

The guard is over near the north door (leading to the garden), and the servants are filing past him; it would not be possible to hit only him.

All of them appear to be human.

Also, whilst you *are* invisible, that does not mean you can cast spells with impunity; people can still hear spellcasting (even though they will have extreme difficulty pinpointing your location); you would get a surprise round, but would run the risk of the guard doing something if he beat you on initiative.

Silver Crusade

just wanted to know the lay of the land, in case it gets out of hand. Thanks for the info

Lila holds her action, getting ready to bolt out the South window. Making certain no servant is too close, Lila whispers, "After you, Mella."

Silver Crusade

Male Gnome Oracle 1 | AC 17 T 13 FF 15 | HP 10/10 | F +2 R +2 W +2 | Init +1 | Perc +1

"I'll go right after her" Janalun whispers, waiting for the holy warrior to breach the window.

Silver Crusade

Aasimar Paladin 2 HP: 18/18 | AC: 19 | T: 10 | FF: 19 | CMD: 15 | Fort: +7 | Ref: +3| Will: +7 | Init: +0 | Perc: +2 | Sense Motive: +4

Mella heads toward the window.

Silver Crusade

Male Elf Fighter 1/Wizard 1

And we're off!

Anaduno follows once the glass starts flying.

Sovereign Court

Mella charges through the window...

1d6 ⇒ 6

...taking some damage from the broken glass...

1d6 ⇒ 3

...and a little more when she lands on the ground.

Lila, Janalun, Anaduno and Bo'alo quickly follow...

Lila: 1d6 ⇒ 1 damage.

Janalun: 1d6 ⇒ 2 damage.

Anaduno: 1d6 ⇒ 6 damage.

Bo'alo: 1d6 ⇒ 3 damage.

...whilst behind the party, there is the sound of shouts of surprise, the shattering of crockery landing on the ground, and the unmistakable high-pitched squeal of a signal whistle.

Fortunately, still under the cover of invisibility, the party is able to beat a hasty retreat, without fear of pursuit.

When the party finally arrives at the Grand Lodge, they are ushered into Venture Captain Valsin's office. The Venture Captain looks haggard, his skin a decidedly unhealthy shade of grey, and he sighs, before addressing the party in a tired voice:

"Please tell me you found something concrete. I just received a legal brief (in triplicate) from the Chelish Ambassador to Absalom, delivered by imp, which is going to make my life a living hell for the (unfortunately) foreseeable future... I would like to think that there is a silver lining to all this... What happened?"

301 to 350 of 359 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / thelordoftheonering runs "The Disappeared" All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.