thelordoftheonering runs "The Disappeared" (Inactive)

Game Master Luke_Parry

Current Map

Current Combat

Time expired: 65 minutes
Strikes: 0


251 to 300 of 359 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>
Grand Lodge

Male Mwangi Human Pistolero Gunslinger 1/Drunken Master Monk 1 (HP 17/17; AC 17/FF 10/ T17; F +5; R +7; W +5; Init +9; Perception +8)

gambler profession: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (10) + 11 = 21

perhaps I have been at a table with someone with the names?

Sovereign Court

@Anaduno: How long did it take *you*, the player, to read it, work out the key, and do the swapping? That is what determines the time spent for this puzzle, in game. As I said previously, in real life, I would use a stopwatch, but in PbP I need to take it on trust :-)

Bo'alo does not recognise any of the names, but if any of them *are* Chelish spies, they are unlikely to have used their real names when out gambling...

Silver Crusade

Male Elf Fighter 1/Wizard 1

Read, work out the key, and switch out letters, maybe... 10-12 mins? Had to go somewhere in between, so that added the hour and a half. If I had been using paper instead of the ipad, probably would have been faster. Too much switching back and forth between apps that kept crashing.Sound good?

Sovereign Court

Works for me. Let's split the difference, and say 11 minutes.

What now?

Silver Crusade

Male Elf Fighter 1/Wizard 1

Anaduno does a quick mental count. "I think we have about 15 minutes left. If there' soothing else here, we should start making our way back. Mella, are you sure there's noting through that door? Grab all of this and let's go!"

Sovereign Court

Well, there *is* that big vent which you could explore...

You still have not actually found the information you are looking for - where Zarta is, who took her, and why.

Silver Crusade

Male Elf Fighter 1/Wizard 1

Oh! I figured this was it. Yeah, down the vent I go. Activating special power - Retcon:

Anaduno looks back up at the vent, pulls a dagger, and makes for heading down it.

TEAM: If I'm dominating this game at this point, just tell me to back off, and I will.

Grand Lodge

Male Mwangi Human Pistolero Gunslinger 1/Drunken Master Monk 1 (HP 17/17; AC 17/FF 10/ T17; F +5; R +7; W +5; Init +9; Perception +8)

Bo'alo will follow down the vent.

Sovereign Court

Just as the party disappears into the vent, there is another message from Amari Li:

"Whatever you are doing, hurry up! The Ambassador is becoming restless; I am doing my best to distract him..."

Crawling on hands and knees through the tight passage, dimly lit by poorly filtered light from the occasional peep-hole, the party comes upon an intersection - the left of the fork is adorned with the head of a lion, cut off from whatever mural sustained it in the room below, and the right side of the fork shows an ancient banner unfurling.

Silver Crusade

Male Gnome Oracle 1 | AC 17 T 13 FF 15 | HP 10/10 | F +2 R +2 W +2 | Init +1 | Perc +1

"Well I do believe we just found our Lion. I suppose this would be the path we take next?"

Sovereign Court

Following the lion, the next junction the party reaches has the right side of the fork adorned with the scales of justice, while the left fork is plain wood.

Silver Crusade

Male Elf Fighter 1/Wizard 1

"Scales it is!"

Sovereign Court

Following the scales, the next junction has a crown on the wall of the right branch of the fork and a depiction of a spear thrust up through the floor of the wall of the left fork.

Silver Crusade

"Crown next, then Centaur."

Forgive the lag. I'd been waiting for Jan and Bo to weigh in, then had an accident (i'm fine, though it'll be a few more days before I'm back on my feet). During the extra 7 minutes or so that Anaduno deciphered the code, could Lila have done a Detect Magic on the cloak and dust, and tried to ID with Spellcraft?

Spellcraft Dust: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18
Spellcraft Cloak: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

Sovereign Court

Following the crown, the party comes to a dead end with a vent in it. The middle third of a centaur wielding a bow adorns a wall of the tunnel, its arrow pointing to the vent.

After some pushing and shoving, the vent eventually falls off into the room beyond, landing with a loud crash.

For a few tense seconds, everyone pauses, waiting for someone to raise the alarm, but nothing happens.

Squeezing out of the vent, the party finds itself in a large square room. The walls glow with a gentle blue light, and the air feels unnaturally cool and dry. Shelves line the walls and stand in ranks through the middle of the room, punctuated by a wooden table and ornate chairs. An imposing, unoccupied desk faces the main entrance to the room. On an easel in one of the aisles is a map of the room.

Library Map

Let me know what you want to do :-)

Silver Crusade

Male Elf Fighter 1/Wizard 1

Looking at the shelves, does there appear to be a discernable filing system? Say, like the numbers that are left of those names that we decoded?

Silver Crusade

Male Elf Fighter 1/Wizard 1

Sorry, as in, on the books themselves, or on the shelves themselves.

Grand Lodge

Male Mwangi Human Pistolero Gunslinger 1/Drunken Master Monk 1 (HP 17/17; AC 17/FF 10/ T17; F +5; R +7; W +5; Init +9; Perception +8)

Quick scan of the room

perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18

Silver Crusade

"We have 9 minutes to get back to the waiting room or we fail, regardless of what we find here," Lila says, with an edge of panic in her voice. "If we're lucky, this is a bag of Dust of Disappearance and we can use it just before we go back into the main servant hallway and just run for the room. But even then, we'd only have a minute or two to look around here."

GM: How long will it take to crawl back through the vent? And how much time to get to the waiting room if we just walk there without pause. What about if we run?

Did Lila have any luck with her Spellcraft checks? Or could she have simply dipped her finger into the dust, and/or tried on the cloak?

Sovereign Court

@Lila: Sorry, I plum forgot your Spellcraft rolls whilst updating :-/ You did not identify either of the items. Given that the dust's powers are activated simply by touching it, which would use it up, I recommend against doing that; you can also certainly try on the cloak (and I would apply whatever it does, whenever it becomes relevant), but there is no clear 'visual effect' for that...

It will take a flat 5 minutes to crawl back through the vent.

Technically, it takes a specific amount of time to work your way back (according to the scenario); but you could always try to save time by cutting through the main ballroom... I recommend against simply running through the halls; that might just attract the wrong sort of attention.

@Anaduno: There is no discernible filing system; after all, this is supposed to be a secret Chelish archive. Basically, what you need to do is give me a Perception check for each section of shelving, and tell me *which* section of shelving each Perception check is tied to - I need to know how much time it takes to find all of the information that you are looking for.

Bo'alo does not detect the presence of any hostile forces within the library, but *does* notice that the main door appears to be locked; and that it is so heavily warded that it *glows*.

Let me know what you want to do.

Silver Crusade

Male Gnome Oracle 1 | AC 17 T 13 FF 15 | HP 10/10 | F +2 R +2 W +2 | Init +1 | Perc +1

Janalun begins searching the desk facing the entryway
Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

Silver Crusade

I had been thinking Dust of Disappearance and double move/run, but we'll burn that bridge when we get to it. :^)

"We have two minutes, tops, before we have to just take whatever we have and run. I'd say, in order of priority, it's
Internal Security Evidence
Foreign Ministry Personnel
Internal Security receipts
Internal Security Sites
Internal Security lists
Internal Security misc."

"Or we just cut and run with what we have."

For her action, Lila will use one of the Disguise Self scrolls to make herself appear like the head chef who kicked them out of the kitchen, and she'll either follow the rest of the group into the room, or head back up the vent, depending upon what they choose.

Grand Lodge

Male Mwangi Human Pistolero Gunslinger 1/Drunken Master Monk 1 (HP 17/17; AC 17/FF 10/ T17; F +5; R +7; W +5; Init +9; Perception +8)

Investigating book shelves, apply as necessary posting from my phone.

Here is two minutes worth of checks.

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21

Silver Crusade

Male Elf Fighter 1/Wizard 1

Anaduno goes with Lila's recommendation, spending two rounds on each to find journals related to the individual names on the list:

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25

Silver Crusade

Lila will do a quick scan of the following, 1/round for the first minute, then head back to vent:

Perception Internal Security Evidence: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21
Perception Foreign Ministry Personnel: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21
Perception Internal Security receipts: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14
Perception Internal Security Sites: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15
Perception Internal Security lists: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15
Perception Internal Security misc: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18
Perception Foreign Ministry misc: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
Perception Counter Intel: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19
Perception Imp Security Dossiers: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10

Sovereign Court

@All: Unfortunately, 'a few rounds' is not enough time to locate anything. There is a specific mechanic for finding information, dependent upon the result of the perception check for a particular bookcase. I will go over the specifics in a little bit...

As the party gathers around the 'Internal Security (Evidence)' bookcase, something strange happens:

One of the chairs around the table suddenly animates, and attacks!

Chair (Against Anaduno): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23, for 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6 damage.

Grab: 1d20 + 5 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 5 + 4 = 21 Vs CMD.

Constrict damage: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4 damage.

It grabs Anaduno with both arms, forcing him to sit down upon it, after which it starts to squeeze the life out of him.

Initiative:
Anaduno: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
Janalun: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12
Bo'alo: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12
Lila: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19
Mella: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18
Chair: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (19) + 0 = 19

Round 1: Lila, Chair, Mella, Bo'alo, Janalun, Anaduno

Lila is up.

Fear the Chair! ;-)

Map updated.

Silver Crusade

Male Elf Fighter 1/Wizard 1

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Shocked, Anaduno can only squirm against the grasping chair and try to escape.

Escape Artist: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20.

Silver Crusade

"Ti-i-i-ime's not on our side," Lila sings. Inspire Courage, +1 to hit and damage, +1 to saves v charm and fear.

She pulls out alchemist fire flask (move), and Cure Light Wounds wand (swift) and takes a 5' step back away from chair.

don't see/can't find an updated map

Grand Lodge

Male Mwangi Human Pistolero Gunslinger 1/Drunken Master Monk 1 (HP 17/17; AC 17/FF 10/ T17; F +5; R +7; W +5; Init +9; Perception +8)

Bo will move up and draw his temple sword attacking the chair.

1d20 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 3 + 1 = 91d8 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 3 + 1 = 9

Sovereign Court

@Lila: The map link is at the top of the page, under 'current combat'.

Lila starts singing, as she steps away from the chair, and draws an alchemist fire flask and a wand.

The chair continues to try and squeeze the life out of Anaduno...

Grapple: 1d20 + 5 + 4 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 + 4 + 5 = 31 Vs CMD... for 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4 damage.

Constrict damage: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8.

...only stopping when there is a series of sickening pops, and he stops squirming. Sliding nervelessly from the chair, Anaduno falls to the ground, and it starts waving its arms menacingly at Janalun.

Round 1: Lila, Chair, Mella, Bo'alo, Janalun, Anaduno

Silver Crusade

Aasimar Paladin 2 HP: 18/18 | AC: 19 | T: 10 | FF: 19 | CMD: 15 | Fort: +7 | Ref: +3| Will: +7 | Init: +0 | Perc: +2 | Sense Motive: +4

Mella moves into action, drawing her longsword and moving to flank with Lila. 1 N, 1 NE

Power attack: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 5 + 2 = 26

Confirm Power attack: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 5 + 2 = 21

Damage: 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

Confirm Damage: 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6

Silver Crusade

Male Elf Fighter 1/Wizard 1

So instead of getting away, Anaduno makes a stabilization check:

1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

Sovereign Court

Janalun?

Sovereign Court

Alright, it has been a week since Janalun posted, so I am going to move things along in the morning...

Silver Crusade

Male Gnome Oracle 1 | AC 17 T 13 FF 15 | HP 10/10 | F +2 R +2 W +2 | Init +1 | Perc +1

Ack terribly sorry about my absence there. Minds been on other things
Janalun quickly tries to bring his ally back to the conscious world before drawing his weapon.
Cast defensive: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
cure light wounds: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

Silver Crusade

Lila maintains her Inspire Courage (free action), and will use Cure light wounds wand on Anaduno. Will take a 5' step back after casting, if possible.

Cure Light Wounds: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

Sovereign Court

Round 1:

Mella steps up, and delivers a terrific blow to the chair, chopping through wood with relative ease.

Bo'alo jumps up onto the table and takes a swing at the chair, but his timing is off, and the chair slides out of the way.

Janalun tries to bring his downed ally back to consciousness, channeling healing energy into Anaduno... he does not awaken, but he does stop bleeding.

Anaduno lies unconscious, breathing slightly easier following Janalun's ministrations.

Round 2:

@Lila: You 5' stepped away from the chair in Round 1, so in order to tap Anaduno, you need to 5' step in; stepping away again afterwards is not possible :-/

Lila steps up, and taps Anaduno with a healing wand; golden energy suffuses his flesh, healing some of his wounds, but he remains insensate.

The chair turns on Mella...

Chair: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22, for 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4 damage.

Grapple: 1d20 + 5 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 5 + 4 = 21 Versus CMD.

Constrict: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4 damage.

...wrapping it arms around her, it forces her to sit, and begins to squeeze.

Round 2: Lila, Chair, Mella, Bo'alo, Janalun, Anaduno

Map updated (at top of page); party is up.

Silver Crusade

Male Elf Fighter 1/Wizard 1

Anaduno sleeps a little more soundly.

Silver Crusade

Male Gnome Oracle 1 | AC 17 T 13 FF 15 | HP 10/10 | F +2 R +2 W +2 | Init +1 | Perc +1

Janalun decides to leave tending to Anaduno to Lila since his magics aren't so potent at the moment, and takes a swing at the chair.

morning star: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4

Silver Crusade

Aasimar Paladin 2 HP: 18/18 | AC: 19 | T: 10 | FF: 19 | CMD: 15 | Fort: +7 | Ref: +3| Will: +7 | Init: +0 | Perc: +2 | Sense Motive: +4

Mella hulks out and tries to break the grapple. "Release me mindless thing!" The irony of her screaming at a mindless automation clearly lost on her.

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22 Additional +1 from inspire courage?

hp 10/18

Grand Lodge

Male Mwangi Human Pistolero Gunslinger 1/Drunken Master Monk 1 (HP 17/17; AC 17/FF 10/ T17; F +5; R +7; W +5; Init +9; Perception +8)

Bo'alo will swing again 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 211d8 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10

Sovereign Court

Just waiting on Lila before I update.

Sovereign Court

Alright, if I have not heard from Lila by tomorrow (local time), I will DMPC her.

Silver Crusade

Sorry. Daughter's birthday stuff.

Maintaining inspire courage
"But Mr. Horrible says, 'I don't mind. The thing that bothers me is someone keeps moving my chair.'"

Lila hits Anaduno with another Cure light Wounds charge, and now she can take that 5' step away, due east.

Cure Light Wounds: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

Silver Crusade

Then she uses a free action to bang the stupid wand against her thigh to try and get it working a little better.
"It don't want to work, I just want to bang on my wand all day..."

Sovereign Court

Round 2:

Mella struggles mightily, and manages to escape from the chair's grasp.

Bo'alo takes a swing, dealing a solid blow which chops into the hard wood.

Janalun swipes his morningstar at the animate chair, but it easily dodges his blow.

Anaduno continues to sleep soundly.

Round 3:

Lila taps Anaduno with her wand again, before slamming it against her thigh in frustration, as it continues to under-perform.

The chair turns on Bo'alo...

Chair: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10, for 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6 damage.

......fortunately, he manages to stay clear of its grasping arms.

Round 3: Lila, Chair, Mella, Bo'alo, Janalun, Anaduno

Party is up.

Silver Crusade

Aasimar Paladin 2 HP: 18/18 | AC: 19 | T: 10 | FF: 19 | CMD: 15 | Fort: +7 | Ref: +3| Will: +7 | Init: +0 | Perc: +2 | Sense Motive: +4

Mella moves into position to try and smash what's left of the chair!

5' step, 1e to flank with Anaduno, power attack.

Powerattack longsword: 1d20 + 5 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 5 + 2 + 1 = 16
Damage: 1d8 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 5 + 1 = 10

Silver Crusade

Male Gnome Oracle 1 | AC 17 T 13 FF 15 | HP 10/10 | F +2 R +2 W +2 | Init +1 | Perc +1

You can't flank with Anaduno Mella, he's currently out cold.
Janalun takes another swing at the pesky piece of furniture
Attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22
Damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4

Grand Lodge

Male Mwangi Human Pistolero Gunslinger 1/Drunken Master Monk 1 (HP 17/17; AC 17/FF 10/ T17; F +5; R +7; W +5; Init +9; Perception +8)

Bo'alo attacks the chair again
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 211d8 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10

Sovereign Court

Just waiting on Lila ;-)

251 to 300 of 359 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / thelordoftheonering runs "The Disappeared" All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.