The Spider God's Bride -

Game Master dain120475

Know, O Man, that the world lays at thy sandaled feet. If thy would take it then stretch forth thy hand and seize all which lays before thee, but be warned – it shall not bend to thy will alone; rather, it shall yield only to the strength of thy arm and the fury of thy blade.

Map of the known world - Here -

Combat Map: - Here -


701 to 750 of 2,177 << first < prev | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | next > last >>

Tairin of the Veils wrote:
The gods cannot be that despicable, but she knew how well they could...

Samir watches as you pour your water on yourself to cleanse the filth. He says nothing, but his eyes reveal that he seems concerned you would use water to clean yourself at this time.

Instead, he begins to rummage through the rocks and finds the remains of a body which he begins to strip of valuables.

Re Perception Check 15:

You can see with more light that there seems to be some other bodies within the rocks. Technically "remains" would be more accurate - it seems that the exposed flesh of the bodies - which was not covered by rock - had been gorged upon by the giant maggots.

Further north you can see cracks and breaks in the wall, but the openings are very narrow and the rocks are very heavy. You would guess that - perhaps - somewhere to the north of the position the maggots had wormed their way down at the smell of blood, but you are confident that you and your companions will not be able to get out that way.

Peering at the ceiling above you it looks like the stonework there had been poorly designed; you would wager that he, and possibly others, had been walking in the tunnels far above you; though how high up you are not sure (though you do recall traveling down for some time before you reached this point), but you would wager the floor gave way under their collective weight and the entire party had fallen down below, and the ceiling had fallen upon them and blocked any way to climb up - as well as killing the other men whose remains you had already discovered.

You are fairly certain the man is not privy to what you discovered via your search. If you ask him what happens and he gives you another story, then you would think that his answers about what happened will likely reveal how honest he is, or isn't...


Female Decadent Yar-Ammonite Bard (Temptress) 2 , Spy 2| DR 2| AC 16, T14, FF13 (Uncanny Dodge)| HP 36/36, F+1/+5, R+9, W+4 CMB +3, CMD 16| Init +3, Perc. +9/+11, Speed 30ft | , 0/8 Rds Bardic Perform, 3/7 times Detect Magic

Tairin gave no credence to Samir's look. In her current state and mood, she was not in the mind to concern herself with his thoughts. (I did mention in my post that she was using little water - she wasn't bathing in the water.)

After noting the bodies on the stone floor and upon her examination of wall and ceiling, Tairin returned to the group and looked to the young man they had just rescued; a friendly, charming smile playing across her lips; the light orbs bobbing and casting light and shadows across the chamber, "Please do tell us your name and how you came to be trapped 'neath the rubble. We expected no other beings than the priestly guardians and the underground creatures to be discovered, here."

Diplomacy with sickened penalty: 1d20 + 8 - 2 ⇒ (15) + 8 - 2 = 21
Bluff re expectations, with penalty: 1d20 + 9 - 2 ⇒ (11) + 9 - 2 = 18


Tairin of the Veils wrote:
"Please do tell us your name and how you came to be trapped 'neath the rubble. We expected no other beings than the priestly guardians and the underground creatures to be discovered, here."

Samir glances at Tairin, then at the youth on the ground.

His eyes narrow thoughtfully as he takes the coin and other goods he had taken from the dead men and places them in his pouch.

He move closer to Tairin, looking at her for a moment, then leans in a bit and sniffs at her clothing - especially the places where the maggots bile hand sprayed.

Perception Check
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15

He turns and comes back to the boy and then pulls out his knife and holds it casually in his hand, not threatening, but in no way does he hide the fact that he is now openly armed.

He then studies the gear and clothes of the youth before him, noting his features; his skin, his hair, his eyes...

Knowledge Local
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14

Knowledge Geography
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15

He then leans forward and sniffs at the clothing of the youth, not being subtle at what he is doing, the blade still easy in his hand.

Perception Check
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19

He then looks back at Tairin for a moment, as if considering something, then looks back at the youth.

He then peers at the youth, studying his clothes especially. Then he studies at the scrapes and bruises around his leg, and also the other cuts and wounds the youth has. Then he leans back, thinking a moment.

Heal Check
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

He then studies the ground around the youth, looking for evidence of something, both between the youth and the bodies of the dead, then pausing to peer in the light at the dust laying between the broken rocks and his companions on the far side of the room...

Survival Check
1d20 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 5 + 1 = 22

He moves a bit from the youth and studies the dust for a long moment, then comes back to the youth and looks again at his clothes and gear intently.

He then looks at the corpses of the dead men - and their remains - and his neutral look is now mired by a thoughtful scowl.

He glances at Tairin.

In Khazistani:

"The evidence suggests that there is more here than we can see... Be cautious, Sayida,"

he says as he watches Cas carefully.


Male Human (Tharag Thulan)
Stats:
hp 54/54 AC 20|T 12 |FF 18, F +7|R +2|W +4, Init +2, Per +9
Gladiator 4

Bjoern will also check the bodies for any valueables. One never knows.
Perc: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24


Bjoern Ghostbear wrote:
Bjoern will also check the bodies for any valueables. One never knows.

What you find:

1. You find a total of two pouches that Samir did not take - in them there are a total of 17 gold pieces, 47 silver pieces and 23 copper pieces.

2. You find a satchel with a strange vial in it; you are not sure what is in the vial.

3. You find two short swords, one scimitar and a total of two daggers.

4. You find a broken lantern and two unbroken flasks of lamp oil.

5. You find 50 feet of hemp rope.

You are also sure that Samir has found things before you got to the bodies, but what they are and what he took, you do not know...


Female Civilised Yar-Ammonite Witch (Bouda) 4 | HP 30/38 (1d6(=6, 4, 4,4=14)+4 FC + 8 Con ) | Defence AC 12 (Touch 12 Flat Footed 10) [/ooc] | CMB: +1, CMD: 13/11 |FL [| Init: +4 | Perc: +9, SM: +7 ooc] F: +3, R: +3, W: +5[/ooc] | Speed 30ft | Hexes Slumber - DC:17, Bouda Eye DC 17, Healing, Cackle, Fortune, Misfortune DC 17 | Spells: lvl0- 4 1st 5, 2nd 3 | Active conditions: None.

perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20 I get a further +2 re stone.

Red watches Samir's obvious and elaborate suspicion of Caslav with a mix of puzzlement and alarm, then when Samir speaks replies in Khazistani:

"What concerns you Samir. You are very suspicious about something."


Male Human (Tharag Thulan)
Stats:
hp 54/54 AC 20|T 12 |FF 18, F +7|R +2|W +4, Init +2, Per +9
Gladiator 4

Taking a few moments Bjoern checks if any of the weapons are of decent quality. Slinging the rope over his shoulder he hands Zairin the coins and the vial and also asks if someone wants to carry the oil. Fonally he sits down for a moment to check his iron for nicks and cleans it with a rag.


HP 9/38 || AC: 21(with Shield, +2 from Weasel if applicable) || Fort +9, Ref +8, Will +7 || Perception +12 || Spellcraft +10 || Effects: Shield

"And that's that" - Hedran grunts, the goo dripping from his weapon - "Everyone else ok?" - he adds, picking up his bow again.

Caslav of Lamu wrote:
"Thank you! I was sure I would die under there." Breathing a bit easier, he woozily pulls himself into a sitting position. Peering around his rescuers' legs he watches the assault against the remaining maggot. "Whether killed by those worms, by my wounds, or by-" Careful! "- well, who knows what else! I'm truly grateful." They may yet prove to be here by leave of the Keepers. His eyes move from the two Tharagians up to the faces of the trio surrounding him.
She Who Knows wrote:
"I am called the Red Seer... actually I am almost never called the Red Seer, which is my full name, but Red. Who would you be and how did you come to be here."says Red quietly.
Tairin of the Veils wrote:
"Please do tell us your name and how you came to be trapped 'neath the rubble. We expected no other beings than the priestly guardians and the underground creatures to be discovered, here."

"What the ladies said" - he nods at the man who just thanked them for the rescue, then turns an inquisitive look to Samir as he seem to be pocketing a portion of their finds for some reason.


Female Decadent Yar-Ammonite Bard (Temptress) 2 , Spy 2| DR 2| AC 16, T14, FF13 (Uncanny Dodge)| HP 36/36, F+1/+5, R+9, W+4 CMB +3, CMD 16| Init +3, Perc. +9/+11, Speed 30ft | , 0/8 Rds Bardic Perform, 3/7 times Detect Magic

Tairin remained still as Samir sniffed and made examination of her person and that of the man they had just saved. So, she followed suit in some ways to see if she could determine what he was doing and why.

Know. Local re racial origins of the man/Cas: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26
Heal check re bile spewed on both Tairin and Cas: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23
Perception Check on herself and Cas: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16

(Perhaps Tairin can come up with similar conclusions to Samir and they can discuss them discreetly...?)

Upon Samir's warning in Khazistani, Tairin replied in kind, "I will, Samir. I've had enough not so pleasant surprises already."

Then reverting back to the Sushranite tongue, for she knew the man spoke it as they did, "I noticed narrow cracks and breaks in the north wall. I believe the maggots came down through there upon smelling the fresh blood from this man's wounds." Tairin paused for a moment and drew breath, realising she felt suddenly better and less feverish, "But being in close proximity to the dead in the rubble, the hungry maggots lost interest and when we came into the chamber, we became their new quarry - fresh blood for them to sup on. I do find it most interesting, however, that only he and I were sprayed with bile." Her nose wrinkled in disgust.

GM messaged me and said enough time has passed with pulling Cas out and searching the chamber that the sickened condition has now passed. Caslav, I believe you're not sickened anymore either.


Tainted Linguist | Male Lamuran Cave Druid 2 / Rogue Survivalist 1 | HP 4/25 | AC 13 (T 12, FF 11) | F +2, R +3, W +3 | Speed 30 | Perception +9 (low light vision); Sense Motive +7 | Uncanny Luck 1/1 | Spells 1st: 4/4 | Acid Dart 6/6 | Available healing: Red, Heal skill | *Active effects: none

"I am Caslav. We were walking in passages high above when the floor collapsed. I do not know how far we fell, but when we stopped only my legs were caught under the stones. The others were not so lucky." Caslav reacts only with a look of mild confusion to Samir's sniffing and subsequent Khazistani. "Then came those hideous worms. The others were too weak or too trapped to fend them off, and I..." The young man slowly shakes his head. "I could not help them. It is as you say - if not for your intervention, I would have been next."

He looks up at the party, trying to hide his hope behind a facade of nonchalance. "So, you are not with Yagar's priests, then?"

Sense Motive / Tairin: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
Bluff / indifference in asking question: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26

I'm not sure if Caslav's sickened condition was due to maggot bile or concussion.


She Who Knows wrote:
"What concerns you Samir. You are very suspicious about something."

Samir glances at Red thoughtfully, but says nothing at this point.

Tairin of the Veils wrote:
Upon Samir's warning in Khazistani, Tairin replied in kind, "I will, Samir. I've had enough not so pleasant surprises already."

Re Checks:

You’re sure the youth is from Lamu; his features mark him of that place.

Via the Heal Check – your request was very precise about the bile; that said, you were both covered in bile, more than that can’t be said as your search DC was lowered for Information about the bile, but it was lowered because you focused on only one aspect. If you pick a broader search in the future it is likely that the DC will be higher, but your results will be more inclusive.

Via the perception check – you noticed at least the gear that Bjeorn gave you; you also notice the bodies of the dead men in the rubble were eaten – the only parts of their remains not touched where the parts buried under the rocks.

His eyes flick between Red and Tairin, now; being that they were the only ones who spoke to him.

”We should speak privately, yes, but not until after the man has spoken first,” he says slowly.

Tairin of the Veils wrote:
Then reverting back to the Sushranite tongue, for she knew the man spoke it as they did, "I noticed narrow cracks and breaks in the north wall. I believe the maggots came down through there upon smelling the fresh blood from this man's wounds." Tairin paused for a moment and drew breath, realising she felt suddenly better and less feverish, "But being in close proximity to the dead in the rubble, the hungry maggots lost interest and when we came into the chamber, we became their new quarry - fresh blood for them to sup on. I do find it most interesting, however, that only he and I were sprayed with bile." Her nose wrinkled in disgust.

Samir glances at the youth for a moment.

Caslav of Lamu wrote:
"I could not help them. It is as you say - if not for your intervention, I would have been next."

Samir looks long the youth.

”Maybe…” he says slowly, then looks at Tairin and Red knowingly.

Caslav of Lamu wrote:
He looks up at the party, trying to hide his hope behind a facade of nonchalance. "So, you are not with Yagar's priests, then?"

”The priests of this place have taken vows of silence; they do not speak, except now and again with signs they make with their hands…. We are not priests,” he adds.

Caslav of Lamu wrote:
I'm not sure if Caslav's sickened condition was due to maggot bile or concussion.

A combination of both - not to mention what you had seen via the maggots feasting on your friends. However, after the magical healing you received you are feeling better and that condition has passed; though you are not fully healed, of course; neither is Hedran either, by the way.

At this point he moves Tairin and Red to the side, trusting that Bjeorn and Hedran can deal with things.

Privately to Tairin and Red:

”Two things… First; he and is companions were not priests, either. Why were they here? Likely grave robbers or some such dross – but who knows fully their reasons, yet. Even so; as we have a grim purpose to finish it may be that his own motivation is more than finding trinkets.”

He glances at the youth again, then back to Tairin and Red.

”Second, the bodies of his companions were consumed by slow-moving creatures. This takes time for them to feed – they had time; they fed – yet he alone was untouched.”

”Further, those maggots were so eager for fresh meat that they – a subterranean creature – advanced toward bright light and a well-armed company of folk and fought us until they perished simply because they wanted to eat, eh? Yet if their need was so great, to risk harm by fighting us to the death for more food, why did they let this youth – pinned by the rocks, unable to move, and hardly able to fight – why did they let him live? Why did they not feed on him?”

He points at the corpses by the rocks.

”I studied the bodies of the dead – it was clear they had been there long enough to be fed upon and nearly consumed; yet the maggots did not harm the youth. Further, the youth had blood fresh on him – surely they could smell that, but they did not harm him.”

”I wondered if it was some conjurer’s trick which kept him hidden from the maggot's notice – perhaps he veiled himself from their presence somehow? Yet it is not so – he was assailed with the same bile that they assailed us with.”

”In short, they sensed his presence, they moved to him; they assailed him with bile – yet when it came time to feed on fresh, bloody, meat – they decided to choose the well-lit, well-armed company and leave the helpless, bloody, living boy behind them,” he adds.

”Thus I am suspicious – I do not know how it is that a boy covered in blood, wounded, pinned to the ground by rocks – I do not know what power he has to gainsay mindless vermin from feasting on his flesh, and until I do know what that power is, I am suspicious… for are we not already in these tunnels because of some dark sorcery?”

”This begs the final question – as we do not know his full power – what led him with the others in to this place?”

He pauses and watches Red and Tairin, then he glances at Bjeorn and Hedran.

”The men in your company offer their skills – if they chose to use them then it might have been them who discovered these details, not I. Perhaps you can prevail upon them to offer using their skill set in the future, so it is they, not I, who come to you with these sort of details,” he adds.


HP 9/38 || AC: 21(with Shield, +2 from Weasel if applicable) || Fort +9, Ref +8, Will +7 || Perception +12 || Spellcraft +10 || Effects: Shield

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14

"No priests, no" - Hedran chuckles, and offers a nod at Caslav - "I am Hedran, and if you bear us no ill will, I guess everything will go along just fine" - he adds, then Samir moves off for a very long conversation with Tairin and Red while the others just wait.

"We still need to sort some things out though, as you can see" - he shrugs - "Should be fast... Kinda..." - then moves closer - "So if I understand correctly you fell in here, and now intend to leave. Is that it?"


Female Civilised Yar-Ammonite Witch (Bouda) 4 | HP 30/38 (1d6(=6, 4, 4,4=14)+4 FC + 8 Con ) | Defence AC 12 (Touch 12 Flat Footed 10) [/ooc] | CMB: +1, CMD: 13/11 |FL [| Init: +4 | Perc: +9, SM: +7 ooc] F: +3, R: +3, W: +5[/ooc] | Speed 30ft | Hexes Slumber - DC:17, Bouda Eye DC 17, Healing, Cackle, Fortune, Misfortune DC 17 | Spells: lvl0- 4 1st 5, 2nd 3 | Active conditions: None.

"You are quite right Samir. Your alertness and intelligence is appreciated. There is something very odd indeed about the way the maggots avoided Caslav. I suspect you are right and the group of which only Caslav survives were grave robbers in all likelihood. He certainly seems harmless and rather pitiful at the moment. Seems. And I think we will speak to the boys about employing there skills."replies Red in similarly hushed tones, looking for confirmation from Tairin of her last sentence.


Tainted Linguist | Male Lamuran Cave Druid 2 / Rogue Survivalist 1 | HP 4/25 | AC 13 (T 12, FF 11) | F +2, R +3, W +3 | Speed 30 | Perception +9 (low light vision); Sense Motive +7 | Uncanny Luck 1/1 | Spells 1st: 4/4 | Acid Dart 6/6 | Available healing: Red, Heal skill | *Active effects: none

Caslav visibly relaxes when the party confirms they are not allied with Yadar, and nods to Hedran. "I was hired as a linguist, to transcribe and attempt to translate some strange symbols my employers had found on a tomb. I would like to think they had leave from the Keepers to enter these catacombs," the Lamuran youth blushes slightly and drops his eyes, "but in truth I think that unlikely. I did not ask, and the pay they offered was too good to pass up." He looks down at his wounded legs. "Well, so it seemed at the time. I fear our tampering with the tomb may have triggered some dark magic of Yadar; a madness seemed to descend upon our sellsword, who began speaking in tongues and attacking us. It was when fleeing him that the floor collapsed beneath us.

"Let me take a look; if my leg is not too bad, I might be able to stand..." He rolls up the leg of his trousers on his worse leg and is amazed to find his wounds have closed. He looks sharply at Red.

"I - I have been healed!" He shrinks back from the Yar-Ammonite witch. What gods does she serve? Can she sense the corruption within me?

Sorry, totally forgot about Red's healing in my last post, hence the reaction here.


Caslav of Lamu wrote:
"Well, so it seemed at the time. I fear our tampering with the tomb may have triggered some dark magic of Yadar; a madness seemed to descend upon our sellsword, who began speaking in tongues and attacking us. It was when fleeing him that the floor collapsed beneath us.

Samir's eyes flick to Red when the boy mentions one of their companions behaving as if they were possessed.

He opens his mouth as if to say something, then reconsiders it and shuts it.

Glancing around the room for a moment as if thinking, he looks at Cas again.

"You say you're a linguist... What languages do you speak?" he asks after a moment.

Caslav of Lamu wrote:
"I - I have been healed!" He shrinks back from the Yar-Ammonite witch.

Samir seems to be thinking about the fact that the boy had also claimed that he dealt with a possessed person in his company - or so he claimed - and his eyes narrow as he wonders how things will develop if the boy comes with them.

"Aye, you have been healed and freed from the rocks... So then; what else can you do - other than decipher the scrawl of some forgotten tongue etched in weathered stone? For now it seems you are in our debt; it would be good to know your skills so that we shall know the means by which you shall repay our generosity," he prompts, curious to know what talents or skills Cas possesses, while at the same time deliberately not revealing anything about their company with the stranger quite yet.


Male Human (Tharag Thulan)
Stats:
hp 54/54 AC 20|T 12 |FF 18, F +7|R +2|W +4, Init +2, Per +9
Gladiator 4

Bjoern shrugs and smiles."I am an expert in life reduction!"


Bjoern Ghostbear wrote:
Bjoern shrugs and smiles."I am an expert in life reduction!"

Samir glances at Bjeorn and smiles grimly at the man's comment.

"Aye..." he says in agreement with the northman, then he looks back at Cas.

"As of now - if the lad's story is true - then I have a hunch on where to go to find the answer to our... complications, perhaps" he says, his eyes flicking to Red thoughtfully.

Then he looks at Tairin for a moment.

"If the boy has talents which may aid us, no doubt he will share them. But for now I do not think it wise to linger. The stonework above may not be stable and to remain here long invites trouble... Not the least will likely be the priests above who may even now be seeking to discover what has happened in this collapsed tunnel."

With that he looks down on Cas, then he reaches into his belt and pulls out one of the daggers which he had taken from one of the fallen men and tosses it to Cas.

"It is always easier to chose a path when you are armed," he says with a shrug.

Then, casting a dark look on the rocks above, he moves back in the room to the doorway that the party had traveled through to get to this chamber and waits there for the others.


HP 9/38 || AC: 21(with Shield, +2 from Weasel if applicable) || Fort +9, Ref +8, Will +7 || Perception +12 || Spellcraft +10 || Effects: Shield

"Samir seems to have made up his mind" - Hedran chuckles, looking at both Tairin and Red - "But you are the bosses. What say you?"


Female Decadent Yar-Ammonite Bard (Temptress) 2 , Spy 2| DR 2| AC 16, T14, FF13 (Uncanny Dodge)| HP 36/36, F+1/+5, R+9, W+4 CMB +3, CMD 16| Init +3, Perc. +9/+11, Speed 30ft | , 0/8 Rds Bardic Perform, 3/7 times Detect Magic

In Khazistani to Samir and Red:

Samir wrote:

"...I am suspicious – I do not know how it is that a boy covered in blood, wounded, pinned to the ground by rocks – I do not know what power he has to gainsay mindless vermin from feasting on his flesh, and until I do know what that power is, I am suspicious… for are we not already in these tunnels because of some dark sorcery?”

Know. Local re legends of such abilities: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19

"Perhaps he has an ability to stay the maggots, but it does not instantly lead one to conclude dark sorcery. But watch him, if you must. We will discover his secret soon enough, I believe."

Samir wrote:

”This begs the final question – as we do not know his full power – what led him with the others in to this place?”

"His mysterious employers led him here, but upon what inducement? He mentioned wealth, but it could be fame or to gain reputation. Or the thrill to triumph over The Keepers."

Samir wrote:

”The men in your company offer their skills – if they chose to use them then it might have been them who discovered these details, not I. Perhaps you can prevail upon them to offer using their skill set in the future, so it is they, not I, who come to you with these sort of details,” he adds.

Red wrote:

"And I think we will speak to the boys about employing there skills.", looking for confirmation from Tairin of her last sentence.

"You seem to move faster to attend to such things, Samir. Yet, we shall prevail upon them, but to what success, I cannot say. They are spirited males."

Caslav wrote:

"I was hired as a linguist, to transcribe and attempt to translate some strange symbols my employers had found on a tomb."

Looking to the group and now speaking in Sushranite, Tairin began her questioning,

"Who are your employers? Can you recollect what these symbols looked like? Also, who did the tomb belong to and where can we find it?"

Caslav wrote:

"I fear our tampering with the tomb may have triggered some dark magic of Yadar; a madness seemed to descend upon our sellsword, who began speaking in tongues and attacking us. It was when fleeing him that the floor collapsed beneath us."

Tairin cast a glance at Red before turning her attention back to the Lamuran and continuing,

"Your mad sellsword, what is his name and where did you last see him? Was he in possession of some article from the tomb? If he is still in the tunnels, then we must be watchful." Her eyes flicked to the males of the group, for they were the fighters and champions.

Upon any pending answers to her questions, she heard Samir's concern,

Samir wrote:

"...for now I do not think it wise to linger. The stonework above may not be stable and to remain here long invites trouble... Not the least will likely be the priests above who may even now be seeking to discover what has happened in this collapsed tunnel."

"I possess similar conclusions. We should leave." Then looking to the Lamuran, "Caslav? Are you able to walk unassisted after Red's healing? If so, then we should continue on. I do not want to remain underground for longer than I have to."

Samir wrote:

"It is always easier to choose a path when you are armed," he says with a shrug.

Tairin simply nodded assent. She drew a new scarf/veil from her pack and placed it around her neck and then moved to the open doorway they had recently come though. Furling her whip she placed it at her hip and kept her scimitar in hand.

Hedran wrote:

"Samir seems to have made up his mind" - Hedran chuckles, looking at both Tairin and Red - "But you are the bosses. What say you?"

"We take Caslav with us and he may have the dagger for protection. We will move in our previous order, keeping Caslav in the middle of the group. Hedran, you are our scout, find us a safe path and Bjoern will lead. Let us all be vigilant." The magical lights had extinguished not that long ago, and, lifting a hand, Tairin quietly commanded "Nawwar" and the four small orbs reappeared. She duly directed them in place; moving them with the party.

Marching Order: Bjoern, Hedran, Caslav, Tairin, Red and Samir. Is everyone okay with this?

The first dancing light is 5 ft in front of Bjoern, the second and third are on either side over Hedran, the fourth is over Tairin.


Female Civilised Yar-Ammonite Witch (Bouda) 4 | HP 30/38 (1d6(=6, 4, 4,4=14)+4 FC + 8 Con ) | Defence AC 12 (Touch 12 Flat Footed 10) [/ooc] | CMB: +1, CMD: 13/11 |FL [| Init: +4 | Perc: +9, SM: +7 ooc] F: +3, R: +3, W: +5[/ooc] | Speed 30ft | Hexes Slumber - DC:17, Bouda Eye DC 17, Healing, Cackle, Fortune, Misfortune DC 17 | Spells: lvl0- 4 1st 5, 2nd 3 | Active conditions: None.
Samir wrote:


”This begs the final question – as we do not know his full power – what led him with the others in to this place?”
Tairin of the Veils wrote:
"His mysterious employers led him here, but upon what inducement? He mentioned wealth, but it could be fame or to gain reputation. Or the thrill to triumph over The Keepers."

"They could be sex tourists. It happens."offers Red, looking mischievously at Samir.

Samir wrote:


"...for now I do not think it wise to linger. The stonework above may not be stable and to remain here long invites trouble... Not the least will likely be the priests above who may even now be seeking to discover what has happened in this collapsed tunnel."
Tairin of the Veils wrote:
"I possess similar conclusions. We should leave." Then looking to the Lamuran, "Caslav? Are you able to walk unassisted after Red's healing? If so, then we should continue on. I do not want to remain underground for longer than I have to."

"I too agree. We should leave this area as soon as possible."Red says nodding thoughtfully.

Hedran wrote:


"Samir seems to have made up his mind" - Hedran chuckles, looking at both Tairin and Red - "But you are the bosses. What say you?"

"That is in every sense a praiseworthy attitude Hedran."replies Red with obvious approval.

I am fine with the marching order.


Tairin of the Veils wrote:
We will discover his secret soon enough, I believe."

Knowledge Local 19:

You have heard many legends and rumors of strange, mysterious folk who spend their lives avoiding honest work like piracy and thievery in lieu of following unscrupulous paths involving the study of ancient and mysterious texts which contain dark and evil secrets from before man walked the earth.

Indeed; you vaguely recall this brief legend of men dealing with mindless vermin -

Out of the temple the monstrous dweller in the darkness had come, and I, who had expected a horror yet cast in some terrestrial mould, looked on the spawn of nightmare. From what subterranean hell it crawled in the long ago I know not, nor what black age it represented. But it was not a beast, as humanity knows beasts. I call it a worm for lack of a better term. There is no earthly language that has a name for it. I can only say that it looked somewhat more like a worm than it did an octopus, a serpent or a dinosaur.

It was white and pulpy, and drew its quaking bulk along the ground, worm-fashion. But it had wide flat tentacles, and fleshy feelers, and other adjuncts the use of which I am unable to explain. And it had a long proboscis which it curled and uncurled like an elephant's trunk. Its forty eyes, set in a horrific circle, were composed of thousands of facets of as many scintillant colours which changed and altered in never-ending transmutation. But through all interplay of hue and glint, they retained their evil intelligence intelligence there was behind those flickering facets, not human nor yet bestial, but a night-born demoniac intelligence such as men in dreams vaguely sense throbbing titanically in the black gulfs outside our material universe. In size the monster was mountainous; its bulk would have dwarfed a mastodon.

Meanwhile, if Caslav's words are true then he is no fighter; fighting men hired him for his knowledge/expertise in knowing how to read/decipher ancient texts - whether said texts are magical or dark in nature remains to be seen; but no legend you have heard of aligns to the possibility that reading ancient documents is done for any other reason than something insidious.

Beyond mere legend is the logical nuance that maggots are vermin - they possess no "mind" - not like a dog or a horse - it is not possible to "Train" an animal that has no mind and acts entirely on instinct; at least, not possible using normal, scientific, conventional methods.

In short, there are only two possibilities - that the maggots did not attack Caslav because they had a reason not to attack him, a reason spawned by a singular, mindless drive which prompted them from a place beyond the mere reckonings of thought - or they did not attack Caslav because of actions which he himself was able to perform; actions which would have been learned and mastered from study, no doubt, but yet it would be the study of lore which allows a man to guide the will of creatures who do not possess a mind...

In any case; if a presence guided the maggots to you it was not instinct, except perhaps hunger - yet they avoided easier prey, so that does not seem logical... Further; if they feared to assail Caslav then it stands to reason that something caused those witless beasts to fear him; as of now, you see nothing of evidence on him which would prompt a beast to fear him.

In short - there is no legend or tale you have heard which would lead you to believe that maggots would avoid Caslav that deals with anything other than supernatural abilities.

Dain GM wrote:
"As of now - if the lad's story is true - then I have a hunch on where to go to find the answer to our... complications, perhaps" he says, his eyes flicking to Red thoughtfully.

Samir waits to see if the others wish to know this route, or if they wish to explore.


Female Civilised Yar-Ammonite Witch (Bouda) 4 | HP 30/38 (1d6(=6, 4, 4,4=14)+4 FC + 8 Con ) | Defence AC 12 (Touch 12 Flat Footed 10) [/ooc] | CMB: +1, CMD: 13/11 |FL [| Init: +4 | Perc: +9, SM: +7 ooc] F: +3, R: +3, W: +5[/ooc] | Speed 30ft | Hexes Slumber - DC:17, Bouda Eye DC 17, Healing, Cackle, Fortune, Misfortune DC 17 | Spells: lvl0- 4 1st 5, 2nd 3 | Active conditions: None.

"I see no reason not to follow Samir's hunch." replies Red, looking to the others for their views.


Female Decadent Yar-Ammonite Bard (Temptress) 2 , Spy 2| DR 2| AC 16, T14, FF13 (Uncanny Dodge)| HP 36/36, F+1/+5, R+9, W+4 CMB +3, CMD 16| Init +3, Perc. +9/+11, Speed 30ft | , 0/8 Rds Bardic Perform, 3/7 times Detect Magic
Samir wrote:

"As of now - if the lad's story is true - then I have a hunch on where to go to find the answer to our... complications, perhaps" he says, his eyes flicking to Red thoughtfully.

"Of the party, you are the only one with some experience of the Catacombs, Samir. If you have a place in mind, give direction and those in front can ensure the path is safe and clear."


HP 9/38 || AC: 21(with Shield, +2 from Weasel if applicable) || Fort +9, Ref +8, Will +7 || Perception +12 || Spellcraft +10 || Effects: Shield
She Who Knows wrote:
"That is in every sense a praiseworthy attitude Hedran."replies Red with obvious approval.

I am after all, praiseworthy in more ways than one" - the man smiles at Red, bowing low.

She Who Knows wrote:
"I see no reason not to follow Samir's hunch." replies Red, looking to the others for their views.
Tairin of the Veils wrote:
Samir wrote:

"As of now - if the lad's story is true - then I have a hunch on where to go to find the answer to our... complications, perhaps" he says, his eyes flicking to Red thoughtfully.

"Of the party, you are the only one with some experience of the Catacombs, Samir. If you have a place in mind, give direction and those in front can ensure the path is safe and clear."

"Where to Samir?" - Hedran nods.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tainted Linguist | Male Lamuran Cave Druid 2 / Rogue Survivalist 1 | HP 4/25 | AC 13 (T 12, FF 11) | F +2, R +3, W +3 | Speed 30 | Perception +9 (low light vision); Sense Motive +7 | Uncanny Luck 1/1 | Spells 1st: 4/4 | Acid Dart 6/6 | Available healing: Red, Heal skill | *Active effects: none
Samir wrote:
"You say you're a linguist... What languages do you speak?"

Caslav drags his eyes away from the Red Seer and engages with Samir and Tairin. "I speak Susrahnite, Taraamite, and my native Lamuran, but I have schooling in the fundamentals of language and alphabets."

Tairin of the Veils wrote:
"Who are your employers? Can you recollect what these symbols looked like? Also, who did the tomb belong to and where can we find it?"

"I was hired by a southerner named Castiel, but did not get a good enough look at the symbols to recollect them - I did not even have time to make a rubbing. I know not whose tomb it was; I believe it lay..." Caslav points to the north and west, "that way."

Tairin of the Veils wrote:
"Your mad sellsword, what is his name and where did you last see him? Was he in possession of some article from the tomb? If he is still in the tunnels, then we must be watchful."

"He was a man of Tharag Thule named Bran. He is there." The Lamuran now points at a set of gnawed-upon remains poking out from the rubble. "I did not see him take anything from the tomb. He was nervous before we even entered these passages, and there was a - a weirdness - about the whole chamber. We all felt it, but I fear it proved too much for his temperament and overcame him."

Samir wrote:
"Aye, you have been healed and freed from the rocks... So then; what else can you do - other than decipher the scrawl of some forgotten tongue etched in weathered stone? For now it seems you are in our debt; it would be good to know your skills so that we shall know the means by which you shall repay our generosity."

A look of disappointment flashes across the youth's face. "I see. In addition to my studies of language I have some schooling in the healing arts. I am observant and cautious, and have some knowledge" of that which festers in the rotten abcesses of the world's bones "of tunnels and the like."

Tairin of the Veils wrote:
"Caslav? Are you able to walk unassisted after Red's healing? If so, then we should continue on. I do not want to remain underground for longer than I have to."

"I believe so. I too have no wish to tarry here. It is said the Keepers are most intolerant of trespassers, no matter their intentions."

Samir wrote:
"It is always easier to choose a path when you are armed."

Caslav sheepishly takes the dagger. "I have - had - a staff before we fell..." Spying the butt end peeking out from under the rocks, he stands up and limps over, managing to work the quarterstaff loose. "I also have a sling," he says as he fishes the strap of leather from his pack. "I'd thought I would have no use for it." He gladly accepts the coin from Tairin and nods his readiness to follow the party.


Caslav of Lamu wrote:
"I have - had - a staff before we fell..." Spying the butt end peeking out from under the rocks, he stands up and limps over, managing to work the quarterstaff loose. "I also have a sling," he says as he fishes the strap of leather from his pack. "I'd thought I would have no use for it." He gladly accepts the coin from Tairin and nods his readiness to follow the party.

Samir watches the youth for a moment.

"Are you able to kill with your staff and sling?" he asks with a serious voice.

Tairin of the Veils wrote:
"Of the party, you are the only one with some experience of the Catacombs, Samir. If you have a place in mind, give direction and those in front can ensure the path is safe and clear."

He turns from Cas and glances at Tairin.

"If we ascend the stairs back yonder," he says, waving vaguely to the west "we should rise a good distance and then reach the chamber that had various passages extending in multiple directions. There was a passage leading directly east - another leading to the north. The eastern one leads to many chambers which extend off the main path - but they are used more frequently and patrolled more often."

"The northern passage leads fairly due north, but this passage leads past a locked gate - I do not know, but I have heard - that the gate is in front of a stairway which leads down to another chamber where they keep their tools for embalming the dead."

"This chamber is kept away from the general paths so the smells are not evident to those citizens who may pass through the main halls... Again, I have not been into that stairwell beyond the gate, but it is said that the room itself has some tunnels which lead into the east... if this is correct, then it would take us back to our current location - except we would be higher up than we are now..." he adds.

"When we get to the corridor with the gate the lock must be picked, but it must be done without lights as they will certainly draw attention which we must avoid..."

He glances from Tairin to the others, then looks back at Tairin.

"You have appointed men who are skilled in the wild to move forward - if they do not behave with vigilance; if they do not bring to bear the full bevy of their skill set... I fear it may go bad for all of us..." he adds pointedly.

"Are there any other questions?" he asks the others.

If there are no other questions, he will follow the others back through the halls, up the stairs, back to the passage you saw earlier, and then advance to the north until you reach the locked gate (assuming you near the gate without lights) then we can go from there.

Also, please consider your actions carefully when you advance.

Good luck!


Female Civilised Yar-Ammonite Witch (Bouda) 4 | HP 30/38 (1d6(=6, 4, 4,4=14)+4 FC + 8 Con ) | Defence AC 12 (Touch 12 Flat Footed 10) [/ooc] | CMB: +1, CMD: 13/11 |FL [| Init: +4 | Perc: +9, SM: +7 ooc] F: +3, R: +3, W: +5[/ooc] | Speed 30ft | Hexes Slumber - DC:17, Bouda Eye DC 17, Healing, Cackle, Fortune, Misfortune DC 17 | Spells: lvl0- 4 1st 5, 2nd 3 | Active conditions: None.

From the discussion thread.

Ariarh Kane wrote:

Did Bjoern disclose what he discovered on the dead man's body with the rest of the party?

Quote:

1. You find a total of two pouches that Samir did not take - in them there are a total of 17 gold pieces, 47 silver pieces and 23 copper pieces.

2. You find a satchel with a strange vial in it; you are not sure what is in the vial.

3. You find two short swords, one scimitar and a total of two daggers.

4. You find a broken lantern and two unbroken flasks of lamp oil.

5. You find 50 feet of hemp rope.

You are also sure that Samir has found things before you got to the bodies, but what they are and what he took, you do not know...

=============

If so, can Red or anyone else with Spellcraft please make a roll to identify what's in the vial/what the potion is? I haven't placed a rank in Spellcraft this level, but I will next level.

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28

You are being most thorough Ariarh.


She Who Knows wrote:
Spellcraft: 28

Response via Spellcraft:

You do not think it is magical in nature; but you do think it is some sort of concoction or mixture; in short, you think it is something that someone has created. But you do not sense anything magical about it; instead, it reminds you somewhat of your former traveling companion and his interest in brewing things...

She Who Knows wrote:
You are being most thorough Ariarh.

Samir waits for the others to relay any further questions.

As he waits he notes Tairin and Red examining the vial.

"It may be a poison to apply to weapons - or possibly something that can be used to heal a wound after battle... Would that we had someone in our company who could Craft Alchemical creations; or perhaps at least someone with a more detailed Knowledge of Nature, perhaps they may recognize a possible poison within the vial... Or, if it is indeed used for healing, perhaps someone Skilled in Healing may try to identify it if it is not some dangerous toxin which can be used to harm an individual..." he muses, then lets the women continue to attempt to glean what may be in the vial.

At that point he glances at Cas.

"Your friends did not seem to have much on them - did they pay you in advance, or was the promised coin meant for after your success?" he asks, curious at the answer - or rather; curious to know what Cas will say - the answer possibly revealing some other information which Samir is curious about.


HP 9/38 || AC: 21(with Shield, +2 from Weasel if applicable) || Fort +9, Ref +8, Will +7 || Perception +12 || Spellcraft +10 || Effects: Shield
Dain GM wrote:

"You have appointed men who are skilled in the wild to move forward - if they do not behave with vigilance; if they do not bring to bear the full bevy of their skill set... I fear it may go bad for all of us..." he adds pointedly.

"Are there any other questions?" he asks the others.

"I have a few yes" - Hedran raises his eyebrow - "I'm not gonna speak for Bjoern, but if you have something to say about my skills or how I use them, I would like you to tell it to me, and not to Tairin or Red" - he comments - "The same way I do when I want to address you Samir. Do you understand this clearly?" - then waits a moment.

"Second and last, why did you retrieve some things from the bodies of the dead, and felt you do not have to share what it is with the rest of us?" - the man presses on, then waits again.

---

"That being said, may I take a look at that vial, please"

If allowed to check the vial:

Knowledge (Nature) to check if it is a natural product?: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
Herbalism to check if it distilled or produced from plants?: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20
I also have Heal, but I guess that would depend on previous finds?: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22

I could swear I had taken Alchemy, but alas I don't see it in my character sheet - maybe I dropped it because Anhur had it...

---

"As for the path to take, let us return up the stairs and to the 'main chamber' - we'll decide from there"

If the path is agreed upon:

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21
Knowledge (Dungeoneering) to try and maintain a sense of direction underground?: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8
Survival to find tracks at every intersection: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25


Female Decadent Yar-Ammonite Bard (Temptress) 2 , Spy 2| DR 2| AC 16, T14, FF13 (Uncanny Dodge)| HP 36/36, F+1/+5, R+9, W+4 CMB +3, CMD 16| Init +3, Perc. +9/+11, Speed 30ft | , 0/8 Rds Bardic Perform, 3/7 times Detect Magic

Tairin listened as Caslav spoke and merely nodded upon his answers, without interrupting him. When he was done, she replied, "A person with skill in caves and tunnels will be most useful at present. And additional healing is a boon." She cast a glance at the dead sellsword among the rubble and was content that he would not be a threat to them in his present state.

Dain, did you see the Perception check I made on the Discussion thread pertaining to the contents of the vial? I was wondering if Samir was responding to it in his rp or you missed it?

Hedran wrote:

"That being said, may I take a look at that vial, please."

Tairin, who had been examining the vial with Red, handed the potion to Hedran as requested. She attempted to help him, knowing a little of the healing arts and poisons.

Heal check to aid Hedran in determining if the fluid in the vial is used for healing purposes or is some kind of poison: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19 (Okay, so that's a +2 to Hedran's check for a total of 24, if the GM allows aids)

Samir wrote:

"When we get to the corridor with the gate the lock must be picked, but it must be done without lights as they will certainly draw attention which we must avoid..."

Tairin frowned and then replied, "I can pick the lock, alas I cannot see in the dark. However, as such actions require touch and sound more readily, I may manage well enough to be successful."

Listening to the tension between Samir and Hedran in main and to a lesser degree to Bjoern, although Bear had not yet responded to Samir, Tairin shook her head, and steadily responded, "Clear the air and then let us all be more quiet lest our voices and movements carry and we draw the attention of The Keepers."

As they moved back from whence they had come to proceed to the section of the tunnels Samir had instructed, Tairin used her dancing light orbs to keep watch on the spaces, stone floors, walls and doorways, searching for any hidden threats/traps which could harm them. When they draw nearer to the place with the locked gate, Tairin removes her fine thieves' tools from her pack, will dismiss her lights, examine the gate for traps, and, if safe, proceed to use her other senses in conjunction with her limited sight to aid her in getting the lock open as quickly and quietly as she can.

Stealth the move and speak quietly as she moves through the tunnels: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25
Perception to search for traps on the locked door/gate including penalty for darkness: 1d20 + 8 - 2 ⇒ (20) + 8 - 2 = 26
Perception to find lock/keyhole in the dark, using touch if needs be: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24
Disable Device to pick lock, going by touch and sound and using her M/W Thieves Tools: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (17) + 10 = 27
Stealth on being quiet as she works on the lock: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23


Female Civilised Yar-Ammonite Witch (Bouda) 4 | HP 30/38 (1d6(=6, 4, 4,4=14)+4 FC + 8 Con ) | Defence AC 12 (Touch 12 Flat Footed 10) [/ooc] | CMB: +1, CMD: 13/11 |FL [| Init: +4 | Perc: +9, SM: +7 ooc] F: +3, R: +3, W: +5[/ooc] | Speed 30ft | Hexes Slumber - DC:17, Bouda Eye DC 17, Healing, Cackle, Fortune, Misfortune DC 17 | Spells: lvl0- 4 1st 5, 2nd 3 | Active conditions: None.
Hedran wrote:

"That being said, may I take a look at that vial, please"

"Certainly Hedran. I don't think it is magical. Rather something brewed by a person, to harm, to heal, I am uncertain."replies Red, handing the vial to Hedran, then joining Hedran and Tairin examining the contents further.

Knowledge, Nature: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26 to assist Hedran.

Stealth: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23 while moving


Male Human (Tharag Thulan)
Stats:
hp 54/54 AC 20|T 12 |FF 18, F +7|R +2|W +4, Init +2, Per +9
Gladiator 4

Holding the shield en guard Bjoern slowly moves forward, keeping his combat expertise up. "Of back to the main chamber."


Tainted Linguist | Male Lamuran Cave Druid 2 / Rogue Survivalist 1 | HP 4/25 | AC 13 (T 12, FF 11) | F +2, R +3, W +3 | Speed 30 | Perception +9 (low light vision); Sense Motive +7 | Uncanny Luck 1/1 | Spells 1st: 4/4 | Acid Dart 6/6 | Available healing: Red, Heal skill | *Active effects: none
Samir wrote:
"Are you able to kill with your staff and sling?... Your friends did not seem to have much on them - did they pay you in advance, or was the promised coin meant for after your success?"

"Yes, I've killed with them before," Caslav replies. "I was paid a small retainer up front, with the balance of my pay promised after my work was complete."

Once his new companions are ready to move on, Caslav does his best to keep his steps light, his eyes open, and his mouth shut, straining his ears for any sound of Keepers in the passages. He also does his best to stay far away from Red.

Behind the Scene:

Stealth: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (2) + 11 = 13
Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Caslav of Lamu wrote:
"Yes, I've killed with them before," Caslav replies. "I was paid a small retainer up front, with the balance of my pay promised after my work was complete."

Samir looks at Caslav and nods, seeming somewhat relieved that the lad had insisted on payment up front.

”I am glad you have killed with them before,” he says with a friendly voice.

He waits to see if the others have any questions.

Hedran wrote:
"I have a few yes" - Hedran raises his eyebrow - "I'm not gonna speak for Bjoern, but if you have something to say about my skills or how I use them, I would like you to tell it to me, and not to Tairin or Red" - he comments - "The same way I do when I want to address you Samir. Do you understand this clearly?" - then waits a moment.

Samir looks at Hedran for a long moment; his eyes flat, but he smiles.

”But of course – in the future, I shall remember to say what I need to you directly and not to another,” he says with a courteous voice.

Hedran wrote:
"Second and last, why did you retrieve some things from the bodies of the dead, and felt you do not have to share what it is with the rest of us?" - the man presses on, then waits again.

Samir turns to Tairin.

”In my experience I have found it was a good idea to have the division of wealth agreed upon by all parties… Regarding the wealth of the fallen? I moved to take what I wished from the dead for they had no claim to it anymore – and given that no one took issue with what I did, I was not concerned,” he says to her.

”If this is to change – if we are all to receive equal cut of the found goods, I shall not mind overmuch, but I would rather know that now from you, as the others have already named you their leader – the Northman accompanies you as your retainer, and he – Samir says with a nod at Hedran ”has named you his “boss” – therefore I assume in such matters of the division of wealth, you are the one who makes the final decision – though it may be that She Who Knows shall not be bound by such agreements; even so, given that we all risk our lives to save her from dark sorcery, perhaps that may change.”

”In any case, both myself and Hedran are still in your debt, for it was your actions which saved us from the slavers; to me, your decision in how to divide wealth is enough until that debt is paid.”

He then turns back to Hedran.

”Regarding your second question about why I took what I took?”

”I took things from the dead for they caught my eye. I did not share them with the company because I wanted them. I would have shared them if any had asked about them, perhaps, but as no one had spoken I was not overly concerned about the matter.”

He looks at Hedran for a moment longer.

”I am happy to answer any other questions you may have, of course,” he says with a polite voice.

Tairin of the Veils wrote:
"Clear the air and then let us all be more quiet lest our voices and movements carry and we draw the attention of The Keepers."

”But of course, Sadiqua,” he says to Tairin and says nothing more, his eyes still watching Hedran thoughtfully, curious to know if there are any further details to be discussed.

Hmm… a little tension; this can be ret-conned if you like, but it’s totally up to you, of course :)

Samir follows the party and attempts to be Stealthy.

Stealth Check
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10

Regarding the Vial

Was going to do this via a Spoiler, but as so many studied the potion I’ll give you the gist; this vial is version of the Healing extract you had received from the Bathouse; but it is more potent. Anyone who drinks it will receive 1 HP per Hour back for a period of 24 hours. If the person who drinks this potion is in a state of rest (i.e. sleeping, or bed rest) the amount of healing for that hour is doubled (so theoretically at one day of normal travel you’d gain 16 HP back while awake and walking, and the last 16 for 2x the healing while Sleeping – FYI – this stacks with the normal healing bonuses you have for 8 hours sleep and/or bed rest).

Your combined Knowledge Checks make you believe the potion to be fairly expensive – how much, you do not know; but it is certainly not magical – you are not sure where these men got it, or what it is called, you only what it can do...

Tairin:

Perception for Traps: Normally you would have missed this in the dark, but your natural skill (and a well done Natural 20) was able to notice up a small, Needle-Trap. You do not think the needle would harm you very much; just enough to deliver a small wound that could drive whatever was in it into your blood… You have a feeling such things would be very dangerous and you’re very glad you avoided it.

Disable Device: Tricky in the dark; but having found the trap itself, you’re able to disable the Trap so you can pick the lock. I need one more Disable Device to get the lock open… However, the stress is much less as the trap itself has been taken care of. All you need to do is make sure your Stealth and high when you do disable it.

Regarding Tracks:

You believe there was a party of men that moved through the main chamber from what you believe to be the main entrance you avoided – this is to your west. Their party was a total of six men, you think; they marched in a company of two, single-file lines and you think they were carrying something heavy between them… you are not sure, but you think it was likely to be a corpse… However, though they marched through the intersection at the wide chamber, you have seen no evidence of anyone heading across it to the northern route that you intended to go into. Moving forward to the northern route allows Tairin to find the gate and work on the lock.

Regarding Stealth Checks The party is always as quiet as its loudest member; in this case, unfortunately, I still need some Stealth Checks from some members... and a second Disable Device Check.


Female Decadent Yar-Ammonite Bard (Temptress) 2 , Spy 2| DR 2| AC 16, T14, FF13 (Uncanny Dodge)| HP 36/36, F+1/+5, R+9, W+4 CMB +3, CMD 16| Init +3, Perc. +9/+11, Speed 30ft | , 0/8 Rds Bardic Perform, 3/7 times Detect Magic

A little retcon before we set off for the northern passage

Standing with Red and Hedran and examining the vial, the group successfully worked together to discover the contents, much to Tairin's satisfaction. Looking to Red,
"Since this is a very potent Healing extract, then Sister, as healer you should carry it and administer it where necessary. Hedran, you agree?"

Tairin carefully returned the vial to the satchel and handed it to Red upon agreement.

---

Samir wrote:

”In my experience I have found it was a good idea to have the division of wealth agreed upon by all parties… If we are all to receive equal cut of the found goods, I shall not mind overmuch, but I would rather know that now from you..."

"We divide all discovered wealth equally between the party; it does not matter who finds the coin or goods. If we are to trust one another, then a person cannot go pocketing coin whenever they feel like it. Samir, keep the pouch you took this time, for another had been found and we divided the coin, but do not let it happen again. As to paying off a debt to us, neither you nor Hedran owe us coin for that. Fate brought us together. Let us see where it leads us."

===========

Currently, by the locked gate (trap disarmed)

Quietly, to the companions behind her, she advised, "There was a small Needle-trap. I managed to disarm it as the tip may have been coated in poison. Now, let me pick this lock. Those who can see in the dark, please be on the look out for The Keepers or other threats as I work."

Then to Red, again speaking in low voice, "Sister, have you any witchly magic to guide me in this last task? I would be grateful, if you do."

If Red can cast Guidance on Tairin, then...

Using touch and hearing, Tairin inserted the tools into the lock mechanism and worked diligently and quietly to open it.

2nd Stealth, with Guidance bonus if it is cast on Tairin: 1d20 + 9 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 9 + 1 = 23
Taking a 10 on the 2nd Disable Device check for a total of 10+10=20.


Female Decadent Yar-Ammonite Bard (Temptress) 2 , Spy 2| DR 2| AC 16, T14, FF13 (Uncanny Dodge)| HP 36/36, F+1/+5, R+9, W+4 CMB +3, CMD 16| Init +3, Perc. +9/+11, Speed 30ft | , 0/8 Rds Bardic Perform, 3/7 times Detect Magic

I believe that it's only Bjoern and Hedran that need to roll Stealth at this time. May the dice be ever in your favour. ;)


HP 9/38 || AC: 21(with Shield, +2 from Weasel if applicable) || Fort +9, Ref +8, Will +7 || Perception +12 || Spellcraft +10 || Effects: Shield

Stealth Roll: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16

Tairin of the Veils wrote:

A little retcon before we set off for the northern passage

Standing with Red and Hedran and examining the vial, the group successfully worked together to discover the contents, much to Tairin's satisfaction. Looking to Red,
"Since this is a very potent Healing extract, then Sister, as healer you should carry it and administer it where necessary. Hedran, you agree?"

"Completely" - the man nods.

Tairin of the Veils wrote:
Tairin carefully returned the vial to the satchel and handed it to Red upon agreement.

---

Dain GM wrote:
”I am happy to answer any other questions you may have, of course,” he says with a polite voice.

Hedran pauses for a moment, studying Samir.

Sense Motive (is he being honest? is he pissed?): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13

Tairin of the Veils wrote:
"We divide all discovered wealth equally between the party; it does not matter who finds the coin or goods. If we are to trust one another, then a person cannot go pocketing coin whenever they feel like it. Samir, keep the pouch you took this time, for another had been found and we divided the coin, but do not let it happen again. As to paying off a debt to us, neither you nor Hedran owe us coin for that. Fate brought us together. Let us see where it leads us."

"No more questions Samir" - are Hedran's only words after Tairin speaks.

===========

As they move along, and after he has had a chance to check the larger room, Hedran informs the others in hushed tones of what he has found, as far as tracks are concerned.

I guess they can read the spoiler from Dain above?


Male Human (Tharag Thulan)
Stats:
hp 54/54 AC 20|T 12 |FF 18, F +7|R +2|W +4, Init +2, Per +9
Gladiator 4

Stealth: 1d20 - 5 ⇒ (8) - 5 = 3
Hindered by his armor Bjoern is not very good at keeping quite.
After the second noise brush with the wall the big man shrugs and speaks."I am sorry, I am too big to be quite!"


Tainted Linguist | Male Lamuran Cave Druid 2 / Rogue Survivalist 1 | HP 4/25 | AC 13 (T 12, FF 11) | F +2, R +3, W +3 | Speed 30 | Perception +9 (low light vision); Sense Motive +7 | Uncanny Luck 1/1 | Spells 1st: 4/4 | Acid Dart 6/6 | Available healing: Red, Heal skill | *Active effects: none
Tairin of the Veils wrote:
"There was a small Needle-trap. I managed to disarm it as the tip may have been coated in poison. Now, let me pick this lock. Those who can see in the dark, please be on the look out for The Keepers or other threats as I work."

The Lamuran lad dares a whisper. "Do we have a candle? Enough light for you to see by, but easily blocked by those behind you." He looks pointedly at the towering, shadowy hulk that is Bjoern.

Caslav will stand back, slightly abashed, during any tensions between his rescuers :)


Female Civilised Yar-Ammonite Witch (Bouda) 4 | HP 30/38 (1d6(=6, 4, 4,4=14)+4 FC + 8 Con ) | Defence AC 12 (Touch 12 Flat Footed 10) [/ooc] | CMB: +1, CMD: 13/11 |FL [| Init: +4 | Perc: +9, SM: +7 ooc] F: +3, R: +3, W: +5[/ooc] | Speed 30ft | Hexes Slumber - DC:17, Bouda Eye DC 17, Healing, Cackle, Fortune, Misfortune DC 17 | Spells: lvl0- 4 1st 5, 2nd 3 | Active conditions: None.
Tairin of the Veils wrote:

A little retcon before we set off for the northern passage

Standing with Red and Hedran and examining the vial, the group successfully worked together to discover the contents, much to Tairin's satisfaction. Looking to Red,
"Since this is a very potent Healing extract, then Sister, as healer you should carry it and administer it where necessary. Hedran, you agree?"

Tairin carefully returned the vial to the satchel and handed it to Red upon agreement.

"Certainly."agrees Red, taking the vial and placing it in her backpack for safekeeping.

Tairin of the Veils wrote:
Samir wrote:

”In my experience I have found it was a good idea to have the division of wealth agreed upon by all parties… If we are all to receive equal cut of the found goods, I shall not mind overmuch, but I would rather know that now from you..."

"We divide all discovered wealth equally between the party; it does not matter who finds the coin or goods. If we are to trust one another, then a person cannot go pocketing coin whenever they feel like it. Samir, keep the pouch you took this time, for another had been found and we divided the coin, but do not let it happen again. As to paying off a debt to us, neither you nor Hedran owe us coin for that. Fate brought us together. Let us see where it leads us."

"Your skills, local knowledge and valor have proved invaluable Samir. But simply taking found items without consulting anyone... it will lead to acrimony at best, violence at worst. And Samir, and others, I am well content with an equal share of found coin and goods. As Samir says, you are all risking your lives here for my sake. I am well aware of this and deeply grateful."

Tairin of the Veils wrote:

Currently, by the locked gate (trap disarmed)

Then to Red, again speaking in low voice, "Sister, have you any witchly magic to guide me in this last task? I would be grateful, if you do."

If Red can cast Guidance on Tairin, then...

"This should assist- Treoir !" replies Red, casting the Guidance cantrip on Tairin.

To save time, important in PbP, if anyone needs Guidance cast upon them, please assume Red will cast the cantrip.


Hedran wrote:

Hedran pauses for a moment, studying Samir.

Sense Motive: 16

I guess an opposed Bluff Check is in order...

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11

Response:

You do not think he is lying; but you recall an old axiom from Southern folk - beware a man who smiles too much... In short; he's being very courteous, but you suspect he's being too courteous for some reason... likely a bit suspicious of you now for some reason, though you do not know why that may be.

Hedran wrote:
"No more questions Samir"

"But of course, sadiq," he says with courteous voice as he watches Hedran carefully.

Bjoern Ghostbear wrote:
After the second noise brush with the wall the big man shrugs and speaks."I am sorry, I am too big to be quite!"

Everyone glances at Bjeorn, but at this time you are all very confident that no one has heard your party...

Meanwhile, Tairin works to open the gate.

Caslav of Lamu wrote:
The Lamuran lad dares a whisper. "Do we have a candle? Enough light for you to see by, but easily blocked by those behind you." He looks pointedly at the towering, shadowy hulk that is Bjoern.

Samir's eyes widening in shock when he notes it, but he says nothing as Tairin works and the gate opens.

Disable Device to open the lock - 20 - success!

The gate opens and the party is able to pass beyond it.

Do you shut the now unlocked gate behind you, or leave it open?

They enter a small antechamber beyond it and can see that it is roughly 20 by 20 feet and there are two chairs at a table. Above the table are a series of scrolls which are arranged against the wall.

The far side of the room is a wide doorway; there is no set of stairs, instead; the passage slopes downward so that a heavy objects can be carried up or down with ease, or wheeled on a cart, if necessary.

The passage slopes down and you reach the bottom and you can see very wide room.

This room is roughly 20 feet wide and approximately 60 feet long with multiple vials and urns and bottles on the north wall.

There is a doorway to the room on the south-east side of the room.

There is a table in the middle of the room directly across from you.

The table has two unlit lanterns positioned under extremely-well polished mirrors hanging above it. If the lanterns were lit the mirrors above them would cause them to shine brightly on the bare table.

You can see that the table is covered with dried blood and you guess it is used for preparing corpses for entombing.

As you study the room in the dim candlelight you think you can hear noises from the doorway to the south east.

What do you do?


HP 9/38 || AC: 21(with Shield, +2 from Weasel if applicable) || Fort +9, Ref +8, Will +7 || Perception +12 || Spellcraft +10 || Effects: Shield

Dain, so I can get my bearings - we crossed a first room, then descended a slope, and now reached another room, correct?


Hedran wrote:
Dain, so I can get my bearings - we crossed a first room, then descended a slope, and now reached another room, correct?

Correct.

The room you're in now has two doorways. The first; the one you entered, leads to a sloped ascent (the one you descended down). This is the middle of the western wall. The second doorway is on the far side of the room, on the south-east corner. You hear noises from that doorway.

Also; I had asked earlier if you left the gate upstairs open or closed. Let me know on that; it could be important later. Thanks!


Female Decadent Yar-Ammonite Bard (Temptress) 2 , Spy 2| DR 2| AC 16, T14, FF13 (Uncanny Dodge)| HP 36/36, F+1/+5, R+9, W+4 CMB +3, CMD 16| Init +3, Perc. +9/+11, Speed 30ft | , 0/8 Rds Bardic Perform, 3/7 times Detect Magic

Dain, as soon as you can answer my question on the discussion board re the gate, the sooner I can answer whether we leave the gate open or closed. Thanks!

The scrolls caught her eye inside the small antechamber. Watchful and careful, lest there was some kind of trap securing the scrolls, Tairin steadily drew one scroll, unrolling it on the table, and using the candlelight, cast her eyes over the scroll to see what it contained.

Perception re traps in antechamber: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18
Perception re scrolls - any seals, markings and such: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15
Know. Nobility re any seals/crests: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25
Linguistics to understand scroll: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10
Heal, if any medical notations/diagrams in scroll: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18

Once done with her inspection, Tairin rolled the scroll and returned it to its place.
-----

In the room just down from the sloped walkway, Tairin spied the vials, and drew closer, casting her eyes over them, looking for labels and trying to determine what contents are inside.

Perception re vials: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
Heal to determine what kind of potions they are: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16

Then she heard the noises and listened intently in an effort to to make out what they were (voices or other sounds?). She gave the candle over to her closest companion (Red?) and drew her scimitar. If the distance impeded her hearing, Tairin gestured to her companions that she would move closer, after scanning the surrounds for any new traps. She pointed to Hedran to accompany her, knowing he was lighter of foot than Bear. She inched closer (carefully and quietly) toward the door in the south east. (She'll stop about 10 ft from doorway to listen.)

Perception to look for traps in this chamber before she moves forward/closer: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21
Perception to determine what kind of noise it is: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25
Linguistics - if the sound is a voice/voices - what language is being spoken: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8
Stealth to draw closer and remain unnoticed: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24


Tairin of the Veils wrote:
The scrolls caught her eye inside the small antechamber. Watchful and careful, lest there was some kind of trap securing the scrolls, Tairin steadily drew one scroll, unrolling it on the table, and using the candlelight, cast her eyes over the scroll to see what it contained.

Response:

There seems to be no traps on the scrolls; you'd wager that anyone who made it this far is assumed to be a friendly.

You also note there are roughly two different sections of the scrolls.

You cannot read either set of scrolls; you think that they may be written in some strange code as the letters are the Susrah alphabet but they are not the same language.

However; on one set your heal check reveals enough to gauge that you think it is a listing of the various ways to prepare the bodies of the dead; nothing fancy, just diagrams of medical procedures accompanied by the strange writing.

The other set of scrolls you are somewhat confused by, but you can see that they seem to be a listing of what you think to be names and then there are various sets of numbers.

You are not sure, but you have a hunch that they are a list of family names and their location of entombment within the catacombs.

This seems to be a fairly mundane list, but unfortunately, there are no maps to help guide you to their various locations. Also, as their names seem to be "encoded" you cannot decipher who they are to do an appropriate Knowledge; Nobility check.

In the room just down from the sloped walkway, Tairin spied the vials, and drew closer, casting her eyes over them, looking for labels and trying to determine what contents are inside.

Response:

You are not sure, but you believe the vials have various solutions for embalming bodies and preserving organs.

You are not wholly sure what is done with the corpses, but it does seem odd that various organs and body parts are removed from the corpse; unless the body is preserved in a manner similar to the nobles of your homeland who had their remains mummified.

This may be the preferred method of disposing of the dead here, too, but that is not consistent with the information you have heard, normally you've heard for embalming the body it would be the entire body, not simply part of the body. You do not know why the separate parts of the body might be removed, or for what purpose...

Tairin of the Veils wrote:
She pointed to Hedran to accompany her, knowing he was lighter of foot than Bear. She inched closer (carefully and quietly) toward the door in the south east. (She'll stop about 10 ft from doorway to listen.)

You do not see any traps; as you move closer you feel like you do hear voices, but they are not able to be understood.

Peering into the hallway you notice that the hallway is roughly 20 feet wide - however, the hallway is completely dark.

Advancing a few into the hallway about ten feet you see two hallways; one to the north and south; directly opposite of each other, but those passages are only 5 feet wide.

The main passageway - the one 20 feet wide - this continues to the east... The sound of voices come from the east, but all the corridors are completely dark.

Do you advance; and if so, which direction?

Also, at this point are you all advancing in marching order and do you have lights?


Male Human (Tharag Thulan)
Stats:
hp 54/54 AC 20|T 12 |FF 18, F +7|R +2|W +4, Init +2, Per +9
Gladiator 4

"Which way to go? Towards the voices or away. I am not keen on confrontation. But it would give us some insight!" Bjoern whispers to the others.


Female Civilised Yar-Ammonite Witch (Bouda) 4 | HP 30/38 (1d6(=6, 4, 4,4=14)+4 FC + 8 Con ) | Defence AC 12 (Touch 12 Flat Footed 10) [/ooc] | CMB: +1, CMD: 13/11 |FL [| Init: +4 | Perc: +9, SM: +7 ooc] F: +3, R: +3, W: +5[/ooc] | Speed 30ft | Hexes Slumber - DC:17, Bouda Eye DC 17, Healing, Cackle, Fortune, Misfortune DC 17 | Spells: lvl0- 4 1st 5, 2nd 3 | Active conditions: None.

Red takes a look at the scrolls. Red will also try to comprehend the voices from behind the door to the south east. Finally, Red examines the vials and urns closely, trying to ascertain what is in them and from what period and culture they come from.

Red does not have the trained only linguistics skill but can speak Yar-Ammonite, Khazistani, Susrahnite, Bhangari, Djaka, Nabastissean and Zadjite, so if any of the scrolls or voices are in any of those languages I should understand it.

Perception, anything interesting on the scrolls: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14

Perception, to make out the voices: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10

Knowledge History re vials and urns: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14

Knowledge Nature re what is in vials and urns: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11

Replying to Bjeorn Red says quietly " If we confront anyone down here I think that will likely be the end of our ability to explore unopposed. I say move away from the voices. And we should use a light but as dim as we reasonably can. Which passage... I have no idea."


She Who Knows wrote:
Red takes a look at the scrolls. Red will also try to comprehend the voices from behind the door to the south east. Finally, Red examines the vials and urns closely, trying to ascertain what is in them and from what period and culture they come from.

Re Rolls:

You believe the sum total of what is in the room may be a listing of medical procedures for dealing with bodies; you also believe there is a listing of names and locations - you are not sure what that is in reference to as the entire thing seems to be encoded.

There is circumstantial evidence which suggests that there is more to it than simple burial procedures, but this could be just a guess.

You cannot make anything out about the voices and what is said.
It does strike you curious that the voices are not moving closer nor moving away, though...

She Who Knows wrote:
Replying to Bjeorn Red says quietly " If we confront anyone down here I think that will likely be the end of our ability to explore unopposed. I say move away from the voices. And we should use a light but as dim as we reasonably can. Which passage... I have no idea."

Samir listens with Bjeorn and Red for a moment.

Perception Check
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14

After a few minutes of not moving, he whispers to Red and Bjeorn.

"I cannot understand the voices, but they do not sound like they are getting any closer - nor moving away. It sounds like whoever is remaining still..."

"Someone may be able to sneak up on whoever is talking if they are careful," he says to the group.

What do you do now?


Female Decadent Yar-Ammonite Bard (Temptress) 2 , Spy 2| DR 2| AC 16, T14, FF13 (Uncanny Dodge)| HP 36/36, F+1/+5, R+9, W+4 CMB +3, CMD 16| Init +3, Perc. +9/+11, Speed 30ft | , 0/8 Rds Bardic Perform, 3/7 times Detect Magic
Tairin wrote:

Perception to determine what kind of noise it is: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25

Linguistics - if the sound is a voice/voices - what language is being spoken: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

Dain GM, you never responded to these checks in Tairin's spoilers.

Samir wrote:

"Someone may be able to sneak up on whoever is talking if they are careful," he says to the group.

In lowered voice, Tairin responded to Samir, "If we cannot understand what they are saying, then what is the purpose for drawing closer to the voices? To determine how many there are and what they are doing down there?"

If group elects to go east or send someone first using stealth to do a little recon...

Tairin, gesturing with her free hand in the air, whispered words in her native tongue. Lifting one finger up, she quietly commanded "Nawwar" and only one light orb appeared the size of a will-'o-wisp. Its small light would be helpful, however not be too noticeable as she moved in the corridor to the east and closer to the voices.

"I am light of foot and can draw closer, if this is what the party desires. I am no trained fighter like Bear. I ask another to come with me, who is able to fight and is also light of foot." Tairin continued to speak in a low, discreet manner. She still had her scimitar in hand. What are we doing down here? Red has not been overtaken by the spirit since last eve...Is she really in such danger from it? Unvoiced thoughts moved inside her head as she waited for another to join her.

Hedran or Caslav have a pretty good Stealth... and I suppose Samir does, too. Any volunteers to come along with Tairin?

I guess, two of us could go toward the east and scout first? Or two lead with the rest of the party further behind (about 15 to 20 ft behind?) so they are not too noisy? Either way, Tairin is pretty stealthy, so she could be one of the two who could go ahead and see what's going on? Dain GM, can we tell how far away the voices are? Or not until we draw closer? When we get close enough to the voices (possibly 15 ft), Tairin will extinguish her one orb, if need be, so as to not draw attention to herself due to the one dim light and just wait and listen.

Stealth: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28
Perception to note if voices are moving away, drawing closer or still staying put: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11


HP 9/38 || AC: 21(with Shield, +2 from Weasel if applicable) || Fort +9, Ref +8, Will +7 || Perception +12 || Spellcraft +10 || Effects: Shield

As the others are thoroughly exploring the room, Hedran initially remains on watch duty near the tunnel where the sounds can be heard from, then moves forward with Tairin for the initial investigation.

Tairin of the Veils wrote:
"I am light of foot and can draw closer, if this is what the party desires. I am no trained fighter like Bear. I ask another to come with me, who is able to fight and is also light of foot." Tairin continued to speak in a low, discreet manner.

"I will go with you" - Hedran nods - "Can your eyes pierce the darkness? If not, please put a hand on my shoulder, and follow closely Tairin" - he adds, in hushed tones before they move out to investigate the voices.

Stealth: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25
Perception to note if voices are moving away, drawing closer or still staying put: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15
Linguistics untrained - what language is being spoken?: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17

701 to 750 of 2,177 << first < prev | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Spider God's Bride - All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.