Talanor, the Bright Tower

Game Master Valjoen_KC

Current Date: 4th of Dasyris, 7995 E.C.

Current Battle Map

Arrington's Map

Campaign Spreadsheet

Cast of Characters

Tacal's Stats


4,451 to 4,500 of 5,284 << first < prev | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | next > last >>

Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

It is a shame about the city. I fear for Leeza, since she is not here. Garidan, is right about the goat. We must bring the boy as well; none should be forgotten."

Niyut points to Raektov, who is likely older than she.

Malthazir, we are injured. Will you use the bad magic stone?"

The oracle kneels on the floor trying for the first time to gauge the spirit of the tower and if it can defend them until Scarlet can take them to the First Lands.


Male Noble Elf Wizard 8/Bard 1 | AC 15/10/15 | HP 62/62 | F +3, R +5, W +9 | CMD 12 | Move 30 ft. | Init +6 | Perc +14 (+2 with familiar)

Malz nods, retrieving his devil ooze, normal amusement at Niyut's semantics over the item forgotten in their current situation.

Malz will cast infernal healing on whoever needs it, just let me know how many charges you need.


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

Still a bad magic stone. :-p It looks like we need three. 1 each.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Bright Tower Maps | Last Haven Table #1 Maps | Last Haven Table #2 Maps

"Of course... of course!" says Scarlet as she pulls a lead rope lashed to Tacal's pack. As the rope goes taut, the halfling gives a little tug and the goat comes scampering through the portal with a loud bray.

Scarlet looks at Raektov. The young wizard shakes his head, "I can make it to the temple and take the portal to Tala..." Scarlet cuts him off with a wave of her hand.

"I had not planned for this," she says slowly. "If you venture outside of tower, the giants will slaughter you. Áirdin is gone, perhaps lost forever... and the other apprentices and neophytes who had remained outside are dead. I was fortunate to survive. You would not make it beyond the courtyard... and I have only prepared a single anchor for the doorway on the far side of the Pass of Shamet." She pauses looking at Raektov, considering her options. She glances at Niyut and Malthazir. "Protect him as best you can," she says grasping the young wizard by the hand. "I grant you the title Apprentice of Conjuration of the Sodālitas Sei, Raektov." She reaches into her leather coat and draws out a scroll bound by a thin copper wire and sealed with crimson wax. Handing it to Raektov, she continues "...for the journey back."

Turning away from the others, Scarlet extends her right hand with the palm held outward. The hint of gold can be seen in her hand before a reddish glow begins to shine. With her other hand she begins a draw complex pattern of runes in the air. Her hand begins to move faster and the pattern repeats with increasing rapidity, glowing as she re-trances the same runic signs. "Transiebat ostium extenditur!" Suddenly, a ray of ethereal energy bursts from her palm expanding as it moves away from the halfling. Scarlet flexes her wrist downward and the beam of energy strikes the ground displaying an oval filled with the same draconic runes shimmering and floating about within the ellipse. The ground becomes transparent and a dark green mass of foliage can be seen beyond.

"Flora?!" whispers Gruskorb who has been lost in thought this entire time.

The twins lean forward with their eyes widening. "The Forest of the Night..." replies Truk'tosh as he recognizes the broad leaves of the giant viridian hosta.

[b]Go!" shouts Scarlet.


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

As Scarlet chants, Niyut begins her own chant lighting a bit of spirit sage:

Draconic:

"Tower, I sense your spirit. Stand strong in the long night. Bow to neither fire nor ice. Your people will return."

Her eyes snap open as the portal coheres. She can hear the song of the Forest of Night. She can feel its ancient and deadly might.

Niyut stands. "Thank you, Scarlet."

With that she leaps through the portal.

Once she is through, she murmurs something like a warding prayer and a salutation.

"Great forest of shadow and night, two children of our forefather return to walk your loam, to travel beneath your bowers. I offer my blood as proof. We belong to you and you belong to us. Please grant us passage. Please grant us your protection."

Niyut cuts her hand and lets blood spill upon the hungry earth of the forest. In the First Lands, all spirits must be given their due. The spirit of the Forest of Night is strong indeed. It gives shelter to the Night Blood, the Lost, and at its edge her own village. The Night Blood ruled its depths, but the forest knew its own. It knows her.

She swiftly bind her wound. Though the Forest of Night is owed its due, it is foolish to leave a trail of blood in such a hungry place.


Male Noble Elf Wizard 8/Bard 1 | AC 15/10/15 | HP 62/62 | F +3, R +5, W +9 | CMD 12 | Move 30 ft. | Init +6 | Perc +14 (+2 with familiar)
Valjoen_GM wrote:
"I had not planned for this," she says slowly..."Protect him as best you can," she says grasping the young wizard by the hand. "I grant you the title Apprentice of Conjuration of the Sodālitas Sei, Raektov."

Malthazir freezes, the multiple threads of thought in his head all screeching to a halt. "I...yes. We are honored. My own life will be forfeit before his." Malz promises in an uncharacteristic moment of softness. He turns to the portal. "Scarlet...I with I could learn more from you."

"Give them hell."

Malz follows Niyut through the portal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Malz looks around at the Forest of the Night. "Niyut, what should I know?" He asks.

Any sort of knowledge checks to be made?


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

"Plants and animals can and will try to eat you. If someone speaks to you, be polite. Excessively polite. It won't always help, but knowing the forms could save your life. There is great magic and power in these lands. The Night Blood spill rivers of blood to power their spells. It is brutal in strength but lacks a certain finesse. Unlike the lowlands, I expect to find life here. I have dreamed that the Primogenitors intended this place to withstand the gods' wrath and become whole once more. My brother is wise in the ways of nature. Listen to his council. That is what you should know."


HP 88/88 Panache 6/7 Stamina 10/10 | AC 28/18/20); 26/18/18 w/composite bow | energy resist: 2 negative, 5 fire | CMD 29 | Fort +6 Ref +12 Will +5 | Per +15, Darkvision 60 ft. | Init +7 (+9 w/swashbuckler initiative);
Class and Skills:
Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) 7/Fighter (Lore Warden) 2 | Acro +19, Bluff +10 Climb +7, Inti +15, Stea +15
Combat:
30 ft. (30 ft.) | Melee +18/+13 (+20/+15 vs. undead) (+2 bane rapier) Ranged +14 (dagger) Ranged +15/+10 (mwk composite shortbow) CMB +11; weapon cord attached: Yes (rapier)

Garidan steps right along through the portal, Tacal in tow. He looks around the darkened landscape curiously, while listening carefully to Niyut's advice on how to proceed. Once she stops speaking, he draws closer and clears his throat to gain her attention. "If those giants hadn't hastened our departure from Haemil, I would have asked about this back at the Tower, since it's relevant to this part of the world and something that you and your brother would most likely know about." The swashbuckler is silent for a moment, brow furrowed in thought as he recalls the details of his conversation with Créatus. "At Calledrym's temple, I managed to speak with one of his priests and get some advice. Among other things discussed was securing essences that would useful in our survival. The priest had none that he was willing to trade for, but he did mention that someone in this Forest of Night might have what I seek. The name given to me was Li'luraant, and the priest also noted that this person, or being rather, was someone considered an "abomination" of great offense to Calledrym, though the nature of this offense wasn't elaborated upon in any way."

The young man looks around the forest with a considering expression before continuing. "I may be a country boy from an backwater part Estaparon, and not quite as worldly as some of our number, but I know full well that I didn't get an unbiased opinion of who, or what, this Li'luraant is. Nevermind the notable lack of details attached to the name, like what makes her an "abomination." So I think it would be best, before I dive headlong into something dangerously stupid in pursuit of Calledrym's blessings, to get some idea of what this involves. Who is Li'luraant, how likely is she to be a problem that we have to solve in our usual manner, and what kind of trouble could that stir up while we're here?"


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

Niyut blinks and then tries to figure out what and who Garidan is talking about.

Knowledge: Arcana: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (16) + 18 = 34 If it's not Arcana, please modify her bonus appropriately.


Bright Tower Maps | Last Haven Table #1 Maps | Last Haven Table #2 Maps

Niyut:
As a child you heard stories of Leeluran, the Soulbleed. A witch by some accounts, she was the matriarch of the Nightblood clan several generations ago. Following the last alliance of the children of Simur and Zamas, she was banished into the Demi-Plane of Dreams where she would dwell within a never-ending nightmare.

Back in the Tower...

Raektov takes a deep breath and steps forward towards the portal. As he prepares to enter, Scarlet waves her left hand and a small, leather satchel appears. She hands it the apprentice and smiles. With a look of gratitude mixed with despair, he takes the satchel and slings it over his shoulder and steps through the portal.

Stumbling forward into a small clearing, Raektov stands in the First Lands looking around him in wonder. The night sky to the north is lit with a thousand stars. The smell of plant life is unmistakable and fills his senses. He turns several times taking in the view. The grass is a deep green and grows in large clumps, reaching up to his chest. High above, the trees are a gnarled collection of moss covered limbs with thick leaves, stretching out to the south and east. The canopy of the forest extends over the portal casting a dim shadow. The wind rustles the grass and the sweet fragrance of flowers catches everyone's attention.


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

Her eyes widen slightly.

"Hush, Garidan. Do not speak that name beneath these trees. It is not safe. When we are safe before the fires of my village, I will tell you more."

She watches Raektov look up at the heavens. "We do not worship the great spirit great spirit of stars on this side of the Iron mountains. I have heard it once and then heard it again, so I believe it to be true, that the stars were created long after the Compact was sworn. Chana, Eye-of-Stars, looked up into the night sky and saw rivals to her own beauty. Now Chana is the Primogenitor of the elves. She is beautiful and wild. Strong in song and deep in lore. She is also peacock. The Primogenitors are often more than one thing. It is said that in a rage she leapt into the heavens and fanned her tail. Her feathers shined to rival the stars themselves. That is why you see so many in the sky."

I'm decreeing that female peacocks in this world are also resplendent. Does Niyut know where we are and how to get to her village?


HP 88/88 Panache 6/7 Stamina 10/10 | AC 28/18/20); 26/18/18 w/composite bow | energy resist: 2 negative, 5 fire | CMD 29 | Fort +6 Ref +12 Will +5 | Per +15, Darkvision 60 ft. | Init +7 (+9 w/swashbuckler initiative);
Class and Skills:
Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) 7/Fighter (Lore Warden) 2 | Acro +19, Bluff +10 Climb +7, Inti +15, Stea +15
Combat:
30 ft. (30 ft.) | Melee +18/+13 (+20/+15 vs. undead) (+2 bane rapier) Ranged +14 (dagger) Ranged +15/+10 (mwk composite shortbow) CMB +11; weapon cord attached: Yes (rapier)

Warned by the intensity of the oracle's tone, Garidan does a bid, with a wary look around. "I... see," he says slowly. "Well, that right there tells me a good bit as it is, and I rather suspect that whatever you have to say won't be any more reassuring." Shaking his head, he releases a soft grunt tinged with amusement and exasperation. "We'll discuss it someplace safer, as you say, but just know that whatever Calledrym's interest in her might be, my own relates directly to our continued well-being and survival. So I'm not likely to dissuaded in seeking her out unless your words are particularly dire."


Bright Tower Maps | Last Haven Table #1 Maps | Last Haven Table #2 Maps

@Niyut - You are currently just north of the Pass of Shamet. You would know that you are within the Forest of the Night which is controlled by the Nightblood Clan. You would also know that with a skilled guide, you are about a day and a half march to get out of the forest and another day's journey beyond the forest to reach your village in the foothills of the Iron Mountains. Without a guide, you may get lost in the forest. Alternatively, you could head up the pass into the mountains and traverse the edge of the mountains. However, this would take an extra day or two of travel and from your childhood stories, the mountains are filled with monsters worse than the Nightblood.


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

"My brother is a skilled guide. He can lead us out of the Forest of Night. Our village is near the eaves of the forest in the foothills of the Iron Mountains. We are the closest settlement of the Firebird to the forest. I have run beneath these trees before in the dappled shade."

She pauses for a moment and sighs.

"I will admit, however, that we are much deeper in the forest than I have ever been. There is a Nightblood village I know a day to the north of here that trades with our village. Their elder, Járnviðja, was an ally of the Firebird since she and our elders many generations ago made peace and bound Ygrna, the Bone Mother, beneath a dolmen between our two villages. I have learned in dreams that Járnviðja is no longer among the 'living ancestors' of the Nightblood. I do not know if our alliance still holds."


Male Half-Orc Druid 8/Cleric 1 | HP: 116/116 l AC: 26 (30 with buffs, 32 vs the first 3 attacks per round) /T: 12/FF: 24 l Fort: +15*, Ref: +5*, W: +14* l Init: +0 l Per: +15; Low-light vision l Movement: 30 *Hardy: Gain +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison, spells, and spell-like abilities *Familiar:51/51

Truk'tosh's heavy brow furrows as he squeezes his eyes shut and growls in distress at the disorienting form of transportation. Recognizing the potential danger of their environs, the big orc quickly swallows his discomfort and climbs to his feet. He sniffs the cool air thoughtfully and studies the dark canopy overhead.

Truk'tosh will take 10 on survival checks as long as it's possible.

After Niyut has shared their peoples' lore with the party he gives his twin a glance that tells her he shares her concern.

"We need to move swiftly and disturb as little of the forest floor as possible. If we encounter the Nightblood, it's important Niyut or myself handle the parley. They do not tolerate disrespect and blood is the price for the least slights", he says echoing his sister's earlier warning.


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

That would be a 24 +2 from Niyut's aid another.


Bright Tower Maps | Last Haven Table #1 Maps | Last Haven Table #2 Maps

Surveying the area, Truk'tosh feels confident that he knows the area. Seldom has he been this far north and east, but he recognizes the trail leading to the Pass of Shamet. The direct trek through the forest will be dangerous but the fastest route to their village. A clear trail leads southwest and while the half-orc knows that this will curve due west and out of the forest quicker than the direct route, he also knows it will take them closer to Duktà Kor'Tūz, the center of the Nightblood clan's territory. He glances back towards the mountains. They would avoid the Nightblood if they went that way, but the tales of giants and the darkened kin of the Mithril Fathers has always kept the Firebird clan from there.

Which way is the group headed?


Male Half-Orc Druid 8/Cleric 1 | HP: 116/116 l AC: 26 (30 with buffs, 32 vs the first 3 attacks per round) /T: 12/FF: 24 l Fort: +15*, Ref: +5*, W: +14* l Init: +0 l Per: +15; Low-light vision l Movement: 30 *Hardy: Gain +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison, spells, and spell-like abilities *Familiar:51/51

"This way", Truk'tosh says with a gesture. "We will have to brave the beasts that hunt these woods but it will be safer than trailing closer to Duktà Kor'Tūz or the mountain pass."

Option A.


HP 88/88 Panache 6/7 Stamina 10/10 | AC 28/18/20); 26/18/18 w/composite bow | energy resist: 2 negative, 5 fire | CMD 29 | Fort +6 Ref +12 Will +5 | Per +15, Darkvision 60 ft. | Init +7 (+9 w/swashbuckler initiative);
Class and Skills:
Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) 7/Fighter (Lore Warden) 2 | Acro +19, Bluff +10 Climb +7, Inti +15, Stea +15
Combat:
30 ft. (30 ft.) | Melee +18/+13 (+20/+15 vs. undead) (+2 bane rapier) Ranged +14 (dagger) Ranged +15/+10 (mwk composite shortbow) CMB +11; weapon cord attached: Yes (rapier)

The matter of their route settled, Garidan takes up a position at the party's rear and begins to carefully watch--and listen, as well--to their surroundings.

Perception Check: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (17) + 12 = 29

Valjoen, I don't know if this would be possible, but I'd like to use Garidan's Survival skill to scrounge about for generic alchemical materials and/or named alchemical reagents that might be available in this area as the party moves. There are rules here for doing so, under the heading of "Foraging and Salvaging." Now, this is mostly meant, as far as I can tell, for replenishing alchemist's craft kit and spell component pouches. But, I figure it won't hurt to ask if I can stretch the use to extend to actual tangible materials.

If this is allowed, then add this to my post as appropriate.
Making note of the verdant landscape, or such as he can with his dark-adapted eyes, Garidan eventually broaches a request to the others. "If we're not in any rush, do you think we take a bit of time and maybe see if any of this could be used to pad out our supplies? I don't mean food, we're actually quite good in that regard. But I'm almost certain that I can see some things that both Niyut and I could definitely find a use for in our respective alchemical dabbling."

If the party agrees to his request:
With the pace slowed to allow Garidan to range along the party's line of march for whatever he can find, the swashbuckler sets to searching for anything that his knowledge highlights as useful. While there is undoubtedly a veritable treasure trove of resources around him for any skilled herbalist to make use of, Garidan's narrow specialization leads him to pass over anything that he doesn't know for certain that he--or possibly Niyut--can definitely make use of.

Survival Check: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19
Foraging Time (hours): 2d4 ⇒ (3, 1) = 4


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

"Garidan, this is not a garden. It is extremely dangerous, and I fear that you aren't taking it seriously. Each hour we are out in these woods, increases our chances of being hunted. Disturb the wrong plant and it's spores will paralyze you and begin to dissolve your flesh. Either myself or my brother will be willing to help you look for rare plants once we are safer, but please don't leave our line of sight. Please don't touch any plant which you aren't familiar."

She gives him a faint smile. "That being said, it is an excellent idea while we are in the First Lands to find such things. There is life here. Just don't wander off to find it just yet."


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

For her part, Niyut is hyper vigilant.

Perception: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (6) + 21 = 27

Truk is right to take us on the most direct path. Mother is waiting.


Male Noble Elf Wizard 8/Bard 1 | AC 15/10/15 | HP 62/62 | F +3, R +5, W +9 | CMD 12 | Move 30 ft. | Init +6 | Perc +14 (+2 with familiar)

Malz, after a brief bickering with the devil on his shoulder in infernal, send the imp forward to scout.

With invisibility and perfect flight I assume Torenz is very hard to notice without magic, he will make an excellent scout.


HP 80/80 | AC 21/16/15 | CMD 21 | Fort +7 Ref +12 Will +6 | Per +12, Dark Vision 60' | Init +6 Aegean Unchained Rogue 7 {Nature Fang 1}
Garidan Vissir wrote:

Garidan steps right along through the portal, Tacal in tow. He looks around the darkened landscape curiously, while listening carefully to Niyut's advice on how to proceed. Once she stops speaking, he draws closer and clears his throat to gain her attention. "If those giants hadn't hastened our departure from Haemil, I would have asked about this back at the Tower, since it's relevant to this part of the world and something that you and your brother would most likely know about." The swashbuckler is silent for a moment, brow furrowed in thought as he recalls the details of his conversation with Créatus. "At Calledrym's temple, I managed to speak with one of his priests and get some advice. Among other things discussed was securing essences that would useful in our survival. The priest had none that he was willing to trade for, but he did mention that someone in this Forest of Night might have what I seek. The name given to me was Li'luraant, and the priest also noted that this person, or being rather, was someone considered an "abomination" of great offense to Calledrym, though the nature of this offense wasn't elaborated upon in any way."

The sorrow of parting was not lost on Gruskorb. For all the cruelty he'd experienced and dealt, emotions were something that went deeper than any dagger. These folk know the stakes. Brave.

Yet bittersweet was overtaken by elation. Perhaps unseen until now, the scent of greenery filled the hobgoblin with hope. "So it's true! The land yet lives!.." The rogue ironically needed to be hushed by Niyut, but his mind spun with the possibilities. Maybe this eternal night will see a dawn yet. And if this is possible, maybe my cousin, my family...

But he knew the strings at play with his cousin at least. The cold, calculating mind of Gruskorb came back to throw a wet blanket on aspirations of reunification. They're dead or with something that would make them wish it.

He sighed with internal defeat, but the odds being against him gave him an angle for his assistance with the siblings. "Polite and light on our feet, yes - that I can do. Who do you think we'll have the honor of meeting?" A small smile spread across his face.


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

"There are many things we could run into in the Forest of Night. Once every thing once lived in First Lands. While the five tribes were the most organized, there are other stranger peoples who haunt these lands. But most likely? We would meet those of the Nightblood. They are deadly in battle and their cunning men and women wield a brutal blood magic unlike anything I saw or heard of in the lowlands. If it is living Nightblood we might negotiate or do battle. They respect strength. People who can defeat them in their own lands deserve to walk them. If we encounter a living ancestor? I and Truk will claim kinship and guest right. A battle with one could mean all of our deaths. The magic most harmful to them -- incantations that summon light -- are simply swallowed by the Forest of Night. I have heard only one story of light magic working here and that was a horselord who brought a spirit touched sword here several winters before we were born."


HP 88/88 Panache 6/7 Stamina 10/10 | AC 28/18/20); 26/18/18 w/composite bow | energy resist: 2 negative, 5 fire | CMD 29 | Fort +6 Ref +12 Will +5 | Per +15, Darkvision 60 ft. | Init +7 (+9 w/swashbuckler initiative);
Class and Skills:
Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) 7/Fighter (Lore Warden) 2 | Acro +19, Bluff +10 Climb +7, Inti +15, Stea +15
Combat:
30 ft. (30 ft.) | Melee +18/+13 (+20/+15 vs. undead) (+2 bane rapier) Ranged +14 (dagger) Ranged +15/+10 (mwk composite shortbow) CMB +11; weapon cord attached: Yes (rapier)

Rather hoped to get a ruling from Valjoen before Garidan's foraging properly entered the play thread, but Niyut's post has made it so anyway :p.

Garidan looks around the forest briefly before answering Niyut. "No, I don't misjudge the danger at all. You know this place, and if you say it isn't safe, then I'm quite willing to accept that you know what you speak of. But I also know that once we actually make contact with whatever remains of your clan, you and Truk'tosh will be absorbed in other affairs. And I know further that our journey to this point has allowed little enough in the way of time for anything but necessity. Every single plan we've ever made for idle time, or time devoted to less urgent pursuits has fallen through." The swashbuckler pauses, then chuckles softly. "In fact, our very departure from Haemil only moments ago stands sufficient proof of that claim, don't you think?"

He then gestures at the darkened vegetation around them. "So making use of an opportunity while we have it is not an unreasonable desire, I think. Still, if you wish us to hurry along, then so be it. But when we find ourselves having not gotten a moment to go browsing, I fully reserve the right to say 'I told you so,' and to be very unhappy with you." Garidan smiles to take the bite from his words, but its clear that he will, in fact, be as unhappy as he claims. Still, he doesn't linger over the plants any longer, instead resuming his position at the tail of the little grouping with no more than brief sigh of longing as he eyes the patch of greenery he'd been inspecting.


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

Niyut gives the swordsman a sweet smile and spreads her hands in a placating fashion. "Time will be made, and if you see something interesting on our path then say something and we can look. My only objection is to you wandering off or falling behind."


Bright Tower Maps | Last Haven Table #1 Maps | Last Haven Table #2 Maps

@Garidan - I'm good with those rules for foraging


HP 88/88 Panache 6/7 Stamina 10/10 | AC 28/18/20); 26/18/18 w/composite bow | energy resist: 2 negative, 5 fire | CMD 29 | Fort +6 Ref +12 Will +5 | Per +15, Darkvision 60 ft. | Init +7 (+9 w/swashbuckler initiative);
Class and Skills:
Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) 7/Fighter (Lore Warden) 2 | Acro +19, Bluff +10 Climb +7, Inti +15, Stea +15
Combat:
30 ft. (30 ft.) | Melee +18/+13 (+20/+15 vs. undead) (+2 bane rapier) Ranged +14 (dagger) Ranged +15/+10 (mwk composite shortbow) CMB +11; weapon cord attached: Yes (rapier)

Excellent, I'll make note of that in Garidan's sheet. It should also be noted in the campaign's rules for others to make use of, with the fact that it applies to foraging materials and named reagents where appropriate for Craft (alchemy) (and whatever other Craft/Profession skills you feel appropriate) in addition to just being used to refill alchemist's craft kits and spell component pouches.

If you'd like, I can write up something suitable for copy/paste on your end in the discussion thread.


Male Noble Elf Wizard 8/Bard 1 | AC 15/10/15 | HP 62/62 | F +3, R +5, W +9 | CMD 12 | Move 30 ft. | Init +6 | Perc +14 (+2 with familiar)

They like to think because the lifeblood of this place itself is magical that it is any more dangerous than the rest of the world. The threats are simply stranger, not greater. "My creatures can fly to keep tabs on everybody, to make sure nobody goes missing or wanders too far. Torenz is already flitting about somewhere."


Bright Tower Maps | Last Haven Table #1 Maps | Last Haven Table #2 Maps

GM Screen:

REMarch1: 1d12 ⇒ 9
TrukSurvivalMarch1DC18: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (8) + 14 = 22
REMarch2: 1d12 ⇒ 6
TrukSurvivalMarch2DC18: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (15) + 14 = 29
REMarch3: 1d12 ⇒ 9
TrukSurvivalMarch3DC18: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (18) + 14 = 32
REMarch4: 1d12 ⇒ 7
TrukSurvivalMarch4DC18: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (8) + 14 = 22
RERest1: 1d12 ⇒ 7
RERest2: 1d12 ⇒ 4
REMarch1: 1d12 ⇒ 3
TrukSurvivalMarch1DC18: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (20) + 14 = 34
REMarch2: 1d12 ⇒ 10
TrukSurvivalMarch2DC18: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (12) + 14 = 26
GaridanHandleAnimal: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13
REMarch3: 1d12 ⇒ 6
TrukSurvivalMarch3DC18: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (2) + 14 = 16
REMarch4: 1d12 ⇒ 11
TrukSurvivalMarch4DC18: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (7) + 14 = 21
1d20 + 23 ⇒ (18) + 23 = 41
Perception
Garidan: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (3) + 12 = 15
Gruskorb: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (19) + 12 = 31
Malthazir: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (4) + 15 = 19
Niyut: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (2) + 21 = 23
Truk'tosh: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (12) + 14 = 26
Ga1Gr2Mal3Niy4Truk5: 3d5 ⇒ (5, 4, 2) = 11
SmilClawGr: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (10) + 18 = 28 Dam: 2d4 + 8 ⇒ (4, 4) + 8 = 16
GrabGr: 1d20 + 23 ⇒ (14) + 23 = 37
SmilClawNiy: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (16) + 18 = 34 Dam: 2d4 + 8 ⇒ (2, 3) + 8 = 13
GrabNiy: 1d20 + 23 ⇒ (16) + 23 = 39
SmilClawtruk: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (7) + 18 = 25 Dam: 2d4 + 8 ⇒ (3, 1) + 8 = 12
Initiative
GrabTruk: 1d20 + 23 ⇒ (11) + 23 = 34
Garidan: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15
Gruskorb: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10
Malthazir: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10
Niyut: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20
Truk'tosh: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (12) + 0 = 12
Truk'tosh: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (20) + 0 = 20 Domain power use.
Smilodon: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14

The march through the forest was stressful as the sounds of the Forest of the Night were strange to those not accustom to it. Erie screeches and calls of birds and beasts permeated the darkness, but the unwavering path set by Truk'tosh gave comfort to his sister and the others. At a brief stop during near the end of their marching, a rustling of the trees brought everyones attention to a readied state. When the head of a large scaled beast peered through the branches high above them, Truk just grunted and kept moving. "Plant eater," is all the druid said. The creature stared at the group as it chewed the vegetation that filled its mouth. As they filed off after Truk'tosh, it turned its attention to its next bite. Finding a suitable spot to camp, the rest was uneventful as well, with the group splitting up the eight hours.

Truk'tosh:
The beast was a Brachiosaurus that was no threat unless provoked.

On the second day, just before they reached the edge of the forest, the sound of many heavy footfalls stopped Truk'tosh in his tracks. He motioned for the group to quiet themselves as Garidan attempted to keep Tacal and the nameless goat silent as well. Although the goat seemed unsettled, its low braying didn't draw any attention from what Truk could tell. After a time, the footfalls grew faint and the druid led them onto the grassy plains.

Wading through the razor grass that reached nearly five feet in height, the group's progress was slowed. After two hours, Truk'tosh found a trail of trampled grass leading in the correct direction. Although concerned at first, the trail appeared old to the druid and the group took advantage of the path through the tall grass to gain some time.

An strange and bizarre world, this land seems. I've never seen such an expanse of tall grass... a long, quiet voice echoes in Gruskorb's head, startling him. With a quick glance around, an unsettled feeling overwhelms the hobgoblin. But with the group continuing, he shrugs it off and follows. Mere moments later a low grumble alerts the group, but they react too late. Three massive tigers with saber-like fangs jutting downward from their powerful jaws spring from the grass, swiping at the hobgoblin and the twins. Tearing their prey's flesh the smilodons grasp the trio.

Gruskorb 16 damage plus grappled; Niyut 13 damage plus grappled; Truk 12 damage plus grappled

The Trail to the Firebird Clan - Round 1

Niyut (50/63, Grappled) <-- UP
Truk'tosh (91/103, Grappled) <-- UP
Garidan (78/78) <-- UP
Smilodon (0,0,0)
Gruskorb (64/80, Grappled)
Malthazir (57/57)

Status/Effects: None


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

The oracle cries out, Release me! Liberating Command

Escape Artist: 1d20 + 3 + 14 ⇒ (6) + 3 + 14 = 23

Casting Defensively (DC 21): 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (3) + 14 = 17

She tries to cast another spell; however, she tumbles as she avoid the great cat's maw.


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

The Previous Night:

Niyut will study the Hazard's book again.


HP 88/88 Panache 6/7 Stamina 10/10 | AC 28/18/20); 26/18/18 w/composite bow | energy resist: 2 negative, 5 fire | CMD 29 | Fort +6 Ref +12 Will +5 | Per +15, Darkvision 60 ft. | Init +7 (+9 w/swashbuckler initiative);
Class and Skills:
Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) 7/Fighter (Lore Warden) 2 | Acro +19, Bluff +10 Climb +7, Inti +15, Stea +15
Combat:
30 ft. (30 ft.) | Melee +18/+13 (+20/+15 vs. undead) (+2 bane rapier) Ranged +14 (dagger) Ranged +15/+10 (mwk composite shortbow) CMB +11; weapon cord attached: Yes (rapier)

Rest:

Attempting to create a bountiful banquet via his armor's newest spell.
Use Magic Device Check: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (2) + 20 = 22

Doubt drawback takes effect for this attempt, with a duration of 1 hour.
Use Magic Device Check: 1d20 + 20 - 4 ⇒ (15) + 20 - 4 = 31

Following their first rest in the forest, Garidan declines to offer the party their customary serving of rations. Instead, he pokes at the newest section of spell formulae on his armor, though it becomes clear after a moment that he's unable to produce whatever effect he's expecting. With a frustrated huff, he tries again, muttering the verbal aspects of the formula in a rather atrocious pronounciation that is almost comprehensible to Gruskorb and Truk'tosh the spell appears on cleric and druid spell lists, but a level higher than either can cast right now.

The second time, his effort succeeds, and a spread of food appears on in an assortment of serving dishes spread across the ground; the dishes are accompanied by a number of table settings, most of which are of questionable utility under the rough circumstances. After the party's humanoid members have had their fill of a meal more akin to their last in Haemil--with drinks to wash it all down--than the usual bland, long-storage rations unskillfully heated over a campfire, Garidan's brow furrows and the uneaten portions are removed to be replaced by an equal number of servings of uncooked grains, assorted raw fruits and vegetables, and plain water. These he places before Tacal and their unnamed goat, though he does offer some to the others with a smile. What the pair do not consume, Garidan leaves at their campsite with no concern. "I can't tell you how I'm sure of this, but it will all disappear when the magic that brought it forth finally loses power. If there's something out there that wishes to partake of the leftovers before then, let it do so," the swashbuckler replies with a shrug if questioned about the remainder of the feast.

As the party is struck from ambush by the large felines, Garidan releases a breathless shriek of surprise and only barely retains his grip on Tacal's lead (even caught out like this, however, his lightning-like speed in unsheathing his weapon is reflexive). Still, his moment of surprise isn't lasting, and he quickly guides the pack animal out of the nearest cat's immediate reach while stepping up to help Gruskorb get free of the beast's hold. Even distracted as it is by pinning the hobgoblin to the ground, Garidan doesn't like his prospects for simply dashing in, and so he moves as evasively as possible during his approach.

Moving Tacal one space down-left and one space left before engaging the smilodon grappling Gruskorb by stepping one space down-right and one space right, with Canny Tumble and an Acrobatics check to avoid taking an attack of opportunity for the movement (which is done at half-speed). Garidan also gains a +4 dodge bonus to his AC against the smilodon's AoO. Spending two panache points to use Derring-Do to increase the result of the skill check.

Acrobatics Check: 1d20 + 18 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 18 + 3 + 2 = 33
Derring-Do (Acrobatics): 1d6 ⇒ 3
Derring-Do (Acrobatics): 1d6 ⇒ 2

My tablet took a permanent crap on me--rest in piece--so I've finally migrated my posting to a PC, and that means Google's apps aren't utterly useless to me anymore. Therefore, I will be handling any position changes on the battlemap for Garidan myself (with notice provided if I can't for whatever reason). I'm sure you all rejoice :D. I've also handled Tacal's movement this round.

If the Acrobatics check succeeded and the AoO is avoided, either by skill or AC:

Rolling to his feet within the arc of the great cat's paws, Garidan plunges his readied rapier into the vast, furred bulk before him in a single thrust. He puts his all into the strike, tapping into as many bits of warrior's lore--both his, his sister's, and what has been granted by the essences he's claimed--to make the rapier's wound as bloody and debilitating as he can.

Standard action to attack, with a +2 bonus due to using Canny Tumble. Also using Power Attack, passive Precise Strike, and one use of Vital Strike for added damage (already added to the rapier's damage calculation). Further, the smilodon is denied it's Dex bonus to AC, due to using Canny Tumble. I'll spend 4 stamina points to activate the Canny Tumble combat trick, adding double the points spent to Garidan's damage.

Rapier Attack: 1d20 + 17 + 2 - 3 ⇒ (9) + 17 + 2 - 3 = 25
Rapier Damage: 1d8 + 9 + 6 + 4 + 4 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 9 + 6 + 4 + 4 + 8 = 35
Vital Strike: 1d8 ⇒ 4

If the attack succeeds, Garidan will use Menacing Swordplay to attempt demoralizing the smilodon as a swift action. The duration is 1 round, plus 1 additional round for every five points above the DC. If the check succeeds by 10 or more, it is frightened for 1 round and shaken thereafter; a Will save (DC 18) negates frightened but not shaken. Shatter Defense also activates, leaving the smilodon flat-footed against Garidan's attacks until the end of his next turn.
Intimidate (demoralize) Check: 1d20 + 14 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 14 + 2 = 29

Pulling the bloodied length of steel free, the swashbuckler locks eyes with the cat and growls as menacingly as he can manage, the effort backed by the lingering aura of the white wolves whose essences were fed into his weapon.

Daily Ability count: -2 panache; if attack succeeded, -1 Vital Strike, -4 stamina.

If the Acrobatics check failed, and Garidan didn't avoid the AoO:

Staggering under the paw's blow, Garidan shakes his head to clear his thoughts and prepares to move in again, more cautiously this time. With the beast occupied by keeping Gruskorb down, the swashbuckler is forgoes his usual defensive maneuvering, willing to risk another blow if it means that the hobgoblin can use the distraction to work himself free of the cat's weakened grip.


Bright Tower Maps | Last Haven Table #1 Maps | Last Haven Table #2 Maps

GM Screen:

Niyut struggles to break away, but even the oracle's incantation cannot free her from her attacker's grip. Further back on the trail, the smilodon fails to even react to the swashbuckler's movement as he tumbles forward and lacerates the felines underbelly. That smilodon roars in pain and recoils from Garidan dragging the hobgoblin with it.

The Trail to the Firebird Clan - Round 1

Niyut (50/63, Grappled)
Truk'tosh (91/103, Grappled) <-- UP
Garidan (78/78)
SmilodonG (-39, Shaken Rd 2)
SmilodonN (0)
SmilodonT (0)
Gruskorb (64/80, Grappled)
Malthazir (57/57)

Status/Effects: None


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

What's the CMD I should be shooting for?


Bright Tower Maps | Last Haven Table #1 Maps | Last Haven Table #2 Maps
Niyut wrote:
What's the CMD I should be shooting for?

A better than average roll would likely get you free given those bonuses.

Edit: Actually, you'd need a pretty good roll. These buggers keep a tight grip!


Male Half-Orc Druid 8/Cleric 1 | HP: 116/116 l AC: 26 (30 with buffs, 32 vs the first 3 attacks per round) /T: 12/FF: 24 l Fort: +15*, Ref: +5*, W: +14* l Init: +0 l Per: +15; Low-light vision l Movement: 30 *Hardy: Gain +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison, spells, and spell-like abilities *Familiar:51/51

Caught off guard by the massive beasts, Truk’tosh discards his unwieldy weapon to bring his strength to bear directly against the one clutching his arm in its jaws. Allowing the strength of the ogre spirit to augment his own, Truk slams into the beast hoping to knock if off balance and upend it. He wraps his powerful free arm around the cat’s head and pulls, wrenching on its neck.

Using a swift action to activate strength surge. Using a standard action to death roll.

Grapple Check (strength surge): 1d20 + 14 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 14 + 1 = 32
Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 6

If that roll succeeds, Truk assumes control of the grapple, deals the damage above, and knocks the cat prone.


HP 88/88 Panache 6/7 Stamina 10/10 | AC 28/18/20); 26/18/18 w/composite bow | energy resist: 2 negative, 5 fire | CMD 29 | Fort +6 Ref +12 Will +5 | Per +15, Darkvision 60 ft. | Init +7 (+9 w/swashbuckler initiative);
Class and Skills:
Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) 7/Fighter (Lore Warden) 2 | Acro +19, Bluff +10 Climb +7, Inti +15, Stea +15
Combat:
30 ft. (30 ft.) | Melee +18/+13 (+20/+15 vs. undead) (+2 bane rapier) Ranged +14 (dagger) Ranged +15/+10 (mwk composite shortbow) CMB +11; weapon cord attached: Yes (rapier)

@Valjoen: As much as I wish otherwise, that cat that Garidan stuck should be at -35 hit points, not -39; you counted Vital Strike's damage twice. Any time I use that feat, I always add the result to the weapon damage roll, so it's already accounted for.


Bright Tower Maps | Last Haven Table #1 Maps | Last Haven Table #2 Maps

GM Screen:

SmilodonGClaw: 1d20 + 18 - 2 ⇒ (17) + 18 - 2 = 33 Dam: 2d4 + 8 ⇒ (1, 3) + 8 = 12
SmilodonGClaw: 1d20 + 18 - 2 ⇒ (20) + 18 - 2 = 36 Dam: 2d4 + 8 ⇒ (4, 3) + 8 = 15
SmilodonGConfirm: 1d20 + 18 - 2 ⇒ (2) + 18 - 2 = 18 Dam: 2d4 + 8 ⇒ (3, 2) + 8 = 13
SmilodonGBite: 1d20 + 18 - 2 ⇒ (16) + 18 - 2 = 32 Dam: 2d6 + 8 ⇒ (4, 6) + 8 = 18
SmilodonNClaw: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (7) + 18 = 25 Dam: 2d4 + 8 ⇒ (4, 1) + 8 = 13
SmilodonNClaw: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (8) + 18 = 26 Dam: 2d4 + 8 ⇒ (4, 4) + 8 = 16
SmilodonNBite: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (11) + 18 = 29 Dam: 2d6 + 8 ⇒ (6, 2) + 8 = 16
SmilodonTGrapple: 1d20 + 23 ⇒ (5) + 23 = 28

16th of Selefis, 7995 E.C.

With a burst of power, the half-orc reverses the grapple and slams the smilodon to the ground. As Truk'tosh comes down upon the beast, it roars in pain and annoyance. With a violent twist, it scrambles to put its hind legs upon Truk'tosh's chest, then shoves him off and comes to its feet. With a low rumbling growl it backs away from the half-orc surprised by his prowess and strength.

Meanwhile, the smilodon on Gruskorb slashes at him twice, opening up deep wounds on his chest before biting him on the leg. 45 damage! Similarly, Niyut's body is raked and bloodied by the ravaging beast.45 damage!

@Truk - I don't think you get an AOO from its movement since you would be prone as well, having taken the smilodon to the ground. Correct?

The Trail to the Firebird Clan - Round 1/2

Niyut (5/63, Grappled) <-- UP
Truk'tosh (91/103) <-- UP
Garidan (78/78) <-- UP
SmilodonG (-35, Shaken Rd 2)
SmilodonN (0)
SmilodonT (-6)
Gruskorb (19/80, Grappled) <-- UP
Malthazir (57/57) <-- UP

Status/Effects: None


HP 88/88 Panache 6/7 Stamina 10/10 | AC 28/18/20); 26/18/18 w/composite bow | energy resist: 2 negative, 5 fire | CMD 29 | Fort +6 Ref +12 Will +5 | Per +15, Darkvision 60 ft. | Init +7 (+9 w/swashbuckler initiative);
Class and Skills:
Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) 7/Fighter (Lore Warden) 2 | Acro +19, Bluff +10 Climb +7, Inti +15, Stea +15
Combat:
30 ft. (30 ft.) | Melee +18/+13 (+20/+15 vs. undead) (+2 bane rapier) Ranged +14 (dagger) Ranged +15/+10 (mwk composite shortbow) CMB +11; weapon cord attached: Yes (rapier)

I'll wait on Malthazir and Gruskorb to post before making my next one.


Male Half-Orc Druid 8/Cleric 1 | HP: 116/116 l AC: 26 (30 with buffs, 32 vs the first 3 attacks per round) /T: 12/FF: 24 l Fort: +15*, Ref: +5*, W: +14* l Init: +0 l Per: +15; Low-light vision l Movement: 30 *Hardy: Gain +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison, spells, and spell-like abilities *Familiar:51/51

Hmm. Deathroll doesn’t mention knocking me prone as well but it’s a moot point because Truk doesn’t have a weapon right now and he doesn’t have IUS.


HP 88/88 Panache 6/7 Stamina 10/10 | AC 28/18/20); 26/18/18 w/composite bow | energy resist: 2 negative, 5 fire | CMD 29 | Fort +6 Ref +12 Will +5 | Per +15, Darkvision 60 ft. | Init +7 (+9 w/swashbuckler initiative);
Class and Skills:
Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) 7/Fighter (Lore Warden) 2 | Acro +19, Bluff +10 Climb +7, Inti +15, Stea +15
Combat:
30 ft. (30 ft.) | Melee +18/+13 (+20/+15 vs. undead) (+2 bane rapier) Ranged +14 (dagger) Ranged +15/+10 (mwk composite shortbow) CMB +11; weapon cord attached: Yes (rapier)

@Truk: Provided we get through this, I think Garidan is going be to be busy upgrading armor to have spikes of some sort. I should have thought of it earlier, but...


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

He has the divine ice axe strapped to his back. Though I don't believe that death role means you are prone as well, since it is the power of the crocodile (which we all know compels us.)


HP 88/88 Panache 6/7 Stamina 10/10 | AC 28/18/20); 26/18/18 w/composite bow | energy resist: 2 negative, 5 fire | CMD 29 | Fort +6 Ref +12 Will +5 | Per +15, Darkvision 60 ft. | Init +7 (+9 w/swashbuckler initiative);
Class and Skills:
Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) 7/Fighter (Lore Warden) 2 | Acro +19, Bluff +10 Climb +7, Inti +15, Stea +15
Combat:
30 ft. (30 ft.) | Melee +18/+13 (+20/+15 vs. undead) (+2 bane rapier) Ranged +14 (dagger) Ranged +15/+10 (mwk composite shortbow) CMB +11; weapon cord attached: Yes (rapier)

I thought we were compelled by the power of cheese? When did we switch over?


Bright Tower Maps | Last Haven Table #1 Maps | Last Haven Table #2 Maps

Behold! The Power of Queso!

@Truk - Death Roll says "Upon knocking the target prone, you must either release the grapple or fall prone and maintain the grapple." You indicated that if successful, you were "assuming control of the grapple".


Male Noble Elf Wizard 8/Bard 1 | AC 15/10/15 | HP 62/62 | F +3, R +5, W +9 | CMD 12 | Move 30 ft. | Init +6 | Perc +14 (+2 with familiar)

Slow to react to the threat, Malz watches his allies cut and bloodied at the vicious opening gambit.

Knowledge (nature): 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (11) + 20 = 31

Animals, nothing more.

Malzthazir grabs a mixture of components from his spell component pouch, eyes flicking between the three enemies around him as he steps and turns to find them all in his gaze. His psueodragon lands between Malz and the animal attacking Niyut, growling and attacking while Malz quickly invokes his magic. "Jimva kaden!" With a complex gesture to his right, a bank of green vapors arises to catch the two eastern smilodons. He quickly reaches out, gesturing at Niyut with an extremely quick and somewhat painful looking hand movement. "Jutc!" He barks, and a fountain of grease coats Niyut's clothing.

Psueodragon Attacks vs Smilodon grappling Niyut:
Bite: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18
Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 6

Claw: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 1

Claw: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 4

Gore: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24
Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 1

Confirm: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12
Crit Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 1

Sting: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 6 DC 16 fort save or fall asleep for 1 minute

Psueodragon 5 foot steps from Malz's shoulder and full attacks the Smilodon grappling Niyut. Malz 5 foot steps down, casting stinking cloud as shown on map, which should catch the two Smilodons on the right without hitting anybody else. DC 23 fortitude save or be nauseated for as long as they remain in the cloud and 1d4+1 rounds after. Casting a quickened grease on Niyut's clothing, which will give her a +10 circumstance bonus on Escape Artist checks and combat maneuver checks made to escape a grapple, and to her CMD to avoid being grappled.


Male Half-Orc Druid 8/Cleric 1 | HP: 116/116 l AC: 26 (30 with buffs, 32 vs the first 3 attacks per round) /T: 12/FF: 24 l Fort: +15*, Ref: +5*, W: +14* l Init: +0 l Per: +15; Low-light vision l Movement: 30 *Hardy: Gain +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison, spells, and spell-like abilities *Familiar:51/51

Oh. I think you're looking at the deathroll feat. The death roll power from the crocodile domain is slightly different.

Feat wrote:
When grappling a foe of your size or smaller, you can attempt to perform a death roll. Upon a successful grapple combat maneuver check to deal damage with your bite attack, you can immediately attempt a second grapple combat maneuver check as a free action. If successful, you knock the target prone. Upon knocking the target prone, you must either release the grapple or fall prone and maintain the grapple. This doesn’t count as a combat maneuver check to maintain the grapple, and doesn’t add any other effects (such as constrict) beyond knocking the target prone.
Domain wrote:
While grappling an enemy up to one size category larger than you, you may make a grapple check to roll wildly, knocking your enemy prone and dealing 1d8 points of damage. When using this ability, you gain a bonus to your CMB equal to one half your druid level (minimum 1). You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Wisdom modifier.


Bright Tower Maps | Last Haven Table #1 Maps | Last Haven Table #2 Maps

Well... yes, I am. I stand corrected. You are on your feet.


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

Niyut weeps from the terrible pain. She spits out, Release me!

Escape Artist: Liberating Command: 1d20 + 3 + 14 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 3 + 14 + 10 = 46

Casting Defensively: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (8) + 14 = 22

Once freed of the great cat's jaws, she weaves a spell to cloud the pride's eyes. Standard Action: Shadow Mind. All the great cats must make a will save of 23 or treat be blinded by treating the light level as one lower. Darkvision or low light doesn't help.

We are missing one human wizard on the battle map.


Male Half-Orc Druid 8/Cleric 1 | HP: 116/116 l AC: 26 (30 with buffs, 32 vs the first 3 attacks per round) /T: 12/FF: 24 l Fort: +15*, Ref: +5*, W: +14* l Init: +0 l Per: +15; Low-light vision l Movement: 30 *Hardy: Gain +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison, spells, and spell-like abilities *Familiar:51/51

Holding out for the results of that spell. If the cat is blind that will make Truk's actions a lot more effective.

4,451 to 4,500 of 5,284 << first < prev | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Talanor, the Bright Tower All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.