Ruins of Pathfinder: Reign of Winter (Inactive)

Game Master Robert Brookes

"I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust."

T.S. Eliot


251 to 300 of 1,337 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
Dark Archive

Male Chelish Human Fighter 1/Gunslinger 2/Guardian 1
Stats:
HP 39/39; AC 19, Flat Footed 17, Touch 12; CMD 19; Fort +8, Ref +4, Will +2; Perception +7; Initiative +3

"I disagree. The dead can be useful, if he can keep them under control. Back in the Shackles during our invasion of Port Peril, enslaved ghouls, particularly the aquatic variety, were very useful in attacking our enemies. We should not waste resources that are given to us. We have a Necromancer - we were given something he can use to our advantage - it would be a waste to destroy them now."

Marcellano walks over to one of the bound Frostfallen and examines it while he waits for his musket to be fixed. "They're dangerous alright - which is why we should use them against our enemy." He looks over at Talavuc and sees her dislike of the undead. "We don't need them to stay close to us, if you are uncomfortable around them. We can send them up ahead a ways, or keep them in the rear. We can use them for packmules, as well. Better than regular pack mules, even, since they're dead."


On the periphery of this debate, Ordrud watches the actions of the others with a distance both physical and emotional. His eyes flick between the opposing opinions as if watching the words in the air more so than the people speaking them. Brows furrowed, his head cants to the side and an errant lock of crimson hair falls down at the side of his face, soon swept back up and out of the way. It seems as though he's assessing the situation to see where the majority lies in the decision.

While the group discusses them, the frostfallen dead stand motionless, their mouths gaping open and cold vapor spilling from between their decaying jaws. Deep within the hollow sockets of their eyes, twin pools of blue fire swirl and churn in hypnotic fashion. By now, daylight has broken entirely, but this dawn is a dark one with the cloud cover so thick, but at least the snow has now entirely let up, and the whispers of the morozka seem to have dissipated.

In the harbor, crew aboard the Wraith appear to be watching what's going on outside of the inn and they've drawn the keelboat back up. Some of the men on deck look armed, as if they're waiting to see if they need to come down and assist. From the looks of things, though, they don't want to.

It's hard to blame them.

Liberty's Edge

Stats
Spoiler:
  • HP 25/25
  • AC 20( T: 12/ FF:16)
  • Fort + 4|Ref + 2|Will + 2
  • Init + 2
  • Perception +1

Styvanus takes a deep breath and exhales a sigh of relief as the undead falls to Talavuc's flames. He watches the steam rise in front of his face and then quickly moves to retrieve his shield. He smiles humbly and nods in appreciation when his dwarven ally meets him halfway and he straps the shield to his back." I'll be claiming one of those suits of armor if there are no objections. While I am partial to my current colors, armor of this make will really help out in traversing this area."

Waiting to make sure there are no objections, he begins making his way back to inside the tavern when he hears Talavuc's words and the conviction in her voice. His eyes turn down for a moment before he speaks up, voice loud enough to hear across the whirling winds " As long as Fenyx is sure he can handle it without any problems, the dead stay, they're useful, I'm afraid...And I don't like it any more than you do Talavuc, but we have a job to do everyone. And desperate times call for desperate measures. That's final." He continued on into the tavern, turning to face Fenyx" They're you're responsibility." He states simply.

Once back to where he left his pack, Styvanus goes through the process of removing his armor and donning the scavenged armor( He leaves the old armor in the tavern, It's masterwork parade chainmail of Andoran colors, if anyone wants to wear it but he'll keep the thick blue over-coat). He'll also don his snowshoes, and return outside to stand beside Teladon in preparation for departure.

Dark Archive

Male Chelish Human Fighter 1/Gunslinger 2/Guardian 1
Stats:
HP 39/39; AC 19, Flat Footed 17, Touch 12; CMD 19; Fort +8, Ref +4, Will +2; Perception +7; Initiative +3

"Good call, Captain. Also, if I may add, put your old armor on the thing you took the breastplate off of." He smirks, and and then adds, "Heh, might make them think they got one of us even, if they see one of these things wearing Andoran's colors."

Marcellano walks up to the skeleton Sytvanus takes the armor from and closes its gaping mouth. Stand at attention you mindless bag of crap. You're part of the army now. The Andoran Army.

"I'm going to get out of these cleats and into some snow shoes. The cleats were good for walking over the ice with, but we don't seem to be needing those anymore.. I'll be out in a minute." He heads back inside, over to one of the tables, sits down, and begins taking off his cleats.


First levels: 2/4; THP:17/21; HP:43/43; MP:4/5
Stats:
HP:43 THP:21 / AC 17/21, T 11, FF 16 / Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +5 / Perception +2 / Initiative +3

After the talk over the undead is resolved, Rasso asks Styvanus "So what now cap'n? Do we try an' track 'em back ter their source?"


Sin Mage (Gluttony) 3
Stats:
HP 22/22; AC 11, Flat Footed 10, Touch 11; CMD 11; Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +4; Perception +4; Initiative +1

"A sword is dangerous in the wrong hands. These creatures are tools to be leveraged—and to our benefit, I might add—but nothing else. While I'm afraid they retain no memory or sentience that can be exploited to take us back to their previous master, they will prove more than able beasts of burden or obstacles between us and those who would do us harm. Either way, they are at your disposal, Captain Styvanus." Fenyx offers a practiced bow to Captain Andoran as he defers to the leader's judgment. The necromancer makes to follow him back into The Goose, where he locates some linens to serve as makeshift bundles for hauling some excess food and drinks.

Fenyx will get another bundle of frozen meat and a padded bundle (to prevent breaking) of the strongest liquors that remain—the more flammable, the better.

Concluding this endeavor, Fenyx makes to move past Talavuc on his way back outside, but stops just short behind the woman. "I understand your misgivings about these things. I am loathe to rely overmuch on the dead, but our situation deems it worthier than the alternative. Also, please understand that prior to the summits in Absalom and Andoran, my sole task was to counter Tar-Baphon and his minions. When it comes to combating the dead, I can assure you that none here are as committed as myself." A bow similar to the one offered Styvanus moments earlier is displayed for Talavuc.


None of the alcohol left at the inn is particularly flammable, unfortunately.


Female Human (erutaki) Druid (arctic) 3 / Guardian/Hierophant 1

Talavuc seems about to argue with Styvanus, but pauses for a moment while others speak, letting the flames' magic expire during the conversation. No memory? Was it just coincidence that led my... my father back to slay my family? No, it cannot be. She gives the captain a stern look after the others speak, "We work together in this, but I disagree with the decision you have made. Should I suspect they are a danger, I will not hesitate to destroy them. They have destroyed many others, so it is only right." She begins to gather up the spear she dropped and ensures that she is ready. Silently, she curses herself for leaving her snowshoes behind. Foolish.

Fenyx's comments and bow genuinely surprises her, something that is evident on her face. "I dislike the way that you combat them and that you are so willing to use these..." She gestures to the undead, "Abominations, even against their own masters. These are the same type of monsters that took my family from me. I hate them and yes, I fear them. However, you offer a calm response and reassurances to my hatred. I respect that much." She will bow in a similar manner to Fenyx, if somewhat awkwardly, as if she wasn't used to it. She straightens and stares at him for a moment, "We shall see if you actions match your words. If they prove to, I will put aside my loathing in the future. If not, I will be your most stalwart opponent in this team." She rubs Naasvit's short muzzle and he gives a soft growl and yip, nipping at her hand playfully.

She looks to Styvanus, "Tracking them through the snow will be difficult. The longer we wait, the harder it will become, but the shift in weather is a fortunate turn."


"Then we are in agreement," Ordrud intones as he acclimates to the overall attitude of the lot, one wary look at a frostfallen when he approaches the only sign of anything other than outward appearances of an amicable agreement. "I can assist in following these tracks, I have had sufficient experience. Or," he nods in the Captain's direction, "another can assist in my efforts. I defer to Captain Rozier's judgment."

Motioning with a gauntleted hand to the north, Ordrud points out the supernatural geographical feature now visible in the morning light, that twisting tornado of snow and ice that twists for miles into the sky from the Darkmoon wood. "That was where Captain Gwynn had directed us to head before we were ambushed," Ordrud's dark eyes level on Styvanus, then he points a little to the northeast of the tornado. "The burned down camp of the Lumber Consortium is in that direction, it is where it is easiest to pick up the logging trails that cut through the woods."

Relaxing his posture, Ordrud looks around to the others, then back to Styvanus. "Orders?"

Liberty's Edge

Stats
Spoiler:
  • HP 25/25
  • AC 20( T: 12/ FF:16)
  • Fort + 4|Ref + 2|Will + 2
  • Init + 2
  • Perception +1

Moving about in the new armor, it's obvious that he's a bit uncomfortable in the new skin of steel covering his chest. It was of fine craftsmanship however, and the Ulfen's certainly knew how to make armor that they could maneuver in. I'm sure dear old dad would be proud He thought to himself as he looked over the Ulfen details on the armor that couldn't help but remind him of his own Ulfen heritage.

He takes in Ordrud's dissemination of information about the former orders of Captain Gwynn and the general direction of the ruins of the Lumber Consortium. The captain hmm's for several moments before turning to face Talavuc. " Talavuc, I understand you are well versed in tracking in frozen lands. And I agree with your assesment, If we are to track them, then the sooner the better. Bring yourself and Naasvit to the front and see if you can pick up the trail. Ordrud, give her a hand." He instructs, preparing himself for travel. " I'll be right beside you, so if we run into any more of these things or something worse, I want you to fall back behind Rasso, Ordrud and Teladon. I'm sure you can handle yourself in a fight but we don't need you taking the brunt force of an attack. Your expertise is valuable to our mission." He adds reassuringly.

" Marcellano, keep a close eye on our rear flank. If possible I don't want to be caught off guard." He tells the Chelish marine quietly, before returning to his position at the front. He clears his throat and calls out to the whole group." Time's a' wastin' team. If we're ready, let's get moving.

Dark Archive

Male Chelish Human Fighter 1/Gunslinger 2/Guardian 1
Stats:
HP 39/39; AC 19, Flat Footed 17, Touch 12; CMD 19; Fort +8, Ref +4, Will +2; Perception +7; Initiative +3

Marcellano nods, "Aye, will do. I'll be there to take any heat off the squishies, if need be."

Marcellano, with his snowshoes on, gets a small piece of thin cloth and ties it over the end of his barrel. I'll be damned if I let this thing jam on me again. I've already proven to be less than useful so far.. lets see if I can't fix that. He then heads to the rear of the group, ready to act as rear guard.


First levels: 2/4; THP:17/21; HP:43/43; MP:4/5
Stats:
HP:43 THP:21 / AC 17/21, T 11, FF 16 / Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +5 / Perception +2 / Initiative +3

Rasso forms up as ordered, ready to march.


Female Human (erutaki) Druid (arctic) 3 / Guardian/Hierophant 1

Talavuc slings the spear over hear shoulder by the strap attached to it. She readies her sling, loaded and folded up in her hand, but ready to furl at a moment's notice. She nods to Styvanus and snaps twice, pointing at the trails in the snow. Naasvit approaches the trail, sniffing about as Talavuc beginst to follow the paths left by the undead, searching about for clues as to their path whenever the trail crosses over areas the snow doesn't cover.
_______________________________
Tracking
Talavuc's Survival: 1d20 + 12 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 12 + 1 = 29 Doesn't include Aid Another bonuses; +1 is from Arctic Native
Naasvit's Survival Aid: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13 Scent


Male Dwarf Cleric (Forge-Master) / 3 Mythic Guardian 1

Ar'Zarrcal, hearing neither his name nor that of his companion from Shalast mentioned decides to take that for instruction to remain in the middle of the formation, behind the masked ambassador from the Mordent Spire. He had no snow shoes himself and so he trudged through the snow in silent frustration.

Liberty's Edge

Stats
Spoiler:
  • HP 25/25
  • AC 20( T: 12/ FF:16)
  • Fort + 4|Ref + 2|Will + 2
  • Init + 2
  • Perception +1

Styvanus kept a close vigil on Talavuc as she and the giant mink went to work. His own instincts were to scan for the trails as well, and while he didn't have the skill of Talavuc or the scent of her companion, he did what he could to help, calling attention to signs of the trail as he spotted them that might have been overlooked initially and sharing his observations."What do you make of this?...Have a look here Talavuc...What have we here?..." He went on as they combed the area.

___________________________________
Aiding
Survival Aid Another: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23


With their path ahead of them determined, the team follows directions from Captain Rozier and prepares for the long, arduous trek across the snowy wilderness. The frostfallen dead, commanded by Fenyx, follow along dilligently, though their ability to move unhinered by the snow seems to have passed entirely. With less than half of the group mobile on snowshoes and actively following the quickly disappearing trail the frostfallen had left, travel is slow and tiring.

Beyond the buried fenceposts of Falcon's Hollow, in snow-covered pasture lands, the world looks like nothing more than a rolling field of white. With the sun blocked out by thick clouds, differentiating land from sky on the horizon is difficult. Gusts of bitterly cold wind pick up ice crystals and snow from the drifts and batter the party as they travel. Just a few minutes outside of town, the group finds a large area of packed snow indicating several more people than just the frostfallen moved through the area. Snow packed down with distinctive imprints of snowshoes and even the ruts of skis make it evident that there is much more at work here than the walking dead. Talavuc estimates the group had at least ten men in it, and four broke off and headed into the hollow -- the four frostfallen the group encountered.

Following the larger group's trail is easier, though it's clear they moved much faster on the snow than Talavuc and her team do now. Detritus in the snow of nut shells and berry stems continue to show signs of this group's passage, and the comsumption of trail rations implies living, mortal opponents. In the distance, the Darkmoon Wood grows closer, as does the threat of that unmoving tornado of snow and ice looming over the wood.

Through much of the day the group travels, morning passing into mid-day by the time Ordrud makes indication that this is the same path Captain Gwynn led them on when the first left Falcon's Hollow. Familiar with the terrain, Ordrud helps the group traverse this section of snowfield with ease. Eventually, Falcon's Hollow is no longer visible on the horizon, just swirling snow disorienting in nearly every direction.

It takes almost nine hours of travel for the group to find a landmark, one that has an undeniably ominous silhouette...
 
 
 
 
 
 
     << Lumber Consortium Camp Ruins | Sunset | Snowing, Very Cold (12° F/-11° C) | Moonday, Erastus 9th, 4715 AR >>
 
 
 
 
 
 
Bristling up from the snow, the blackened remains of an enormous lumber camp is hardly recognizable. Skewed timbers thrust up from the snow, charred from fire, and the skeletal framework of some buildings are interspersed with crumbling brick chimneys. The tracks here seem fresher than others and for a while Talavuc had believed that the people she was following had doubled back in their own tracks. Whoever it is they're following know this land well and are trained to hide their numbers, but they perhaps did not expect to have to hide them from a highly-trained Erutaki.

As the group approaches the ruins of the Lumber Consortium camp, a sound pierces the quiet. At first it sounded like an animal cry; shrill and brief. But then again, louder, it calls out from the edge of the camp, a muffled scream. Trudging a little ahead of the group, Ordrud stops atop a snowdrift and points to the south side of the ruins, then waves for the others to approach. There, just a hundred feet ahead of them is a figure laying almost face down in the snow, laying motionless and clearly bound by rope, his ankles and wrists hog-tied together behind his back.

"He's one of Gwynn's team," Ordrud whispers sharply, curling one hand tightly into a fist. "Andis Lohengrin, a soldier -- fights with a spear." The figure bound in the snow, Andis, looks to have been abandoned, perhaps a prisoner that was slowing the others down. His black Eagle Knight's uniform is crusted with ice and snow, as is his long red hair clumped with ice. He tries to scream, but the gag in his mouth makes it a muffled attempt at a call for help.

Talavuc and Ar'Zarrcal:

Something is wrong here. Perhaps an ambush or something of the sort? You can't clearly tell, but you have a gut feeling Andis wasn't just abandoned, he was left here for a purpose.

____________

Hidden Rolls:

Ar'Z: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22
Fenyx: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19
Marc: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19
Ord: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Tela: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (6) + 0 = 6
Tala: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23
Styv: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14
Rasso: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18


Male Dwarf Cleric (Forge-Master) / 3 Mythic Guardian 1

Grimly he followed in marching order through the high snow and the miserable winter conditions. He was thankful for his heavy armor and winter gear, but it did little to brighten his mood. Most of the journey was made in silence punctuated by the occassioned grunt or growl when he struggled over a particularly high drift. When he had the chance he would have to look into proper snowshoes as some of his companions wore.

When the sight of the hogtied soldier presented itself to him he felt his lips dry and the hairs of his beard bristle. He pulled his fingers through his snow and ice encrusted beard, his eyes narrowing on the Andorran trying to shout through his gag.

"He is bait on the line and we are the fish his captors intend to hook." He said abruptly after the half-orc had spoken. Ar'Zarrcal made no further approached and looked about the area cautiously.

Liberty's Edge

Stats
Spoiler:
  • HP 25/25
  • AC 20( T: 12/ FF:16)
  • Fort + 4|Ref + 2|Will + 2
  • Init + 2
  • Perception +1

Styvanus led the expedition beside Talavuc with his lips clenched tight behind his scarf for the majority of the day, speaking only when he needed to. He shudders slightly as the trail leads them to the charred ruins of the Lumber Consortium. I feared the trail would lead us here. He thought to himself. What a perfect place for an ambush.

When Ordrud spots the bound soldier, the hair on the back of Styv's neck stands fully at attention and a sense of urgency washed over the captain as he looked between the helpless Andoran and the setting sun. He had to hold himself back from springing to assist the man immediately. Ar'Zarrcal's words seemed to come from a distant place and Styv shook his head as if dismissing the thought.

"Trap or not, That's a man in peril, and an Andoran to boot. I won't stand by and watch him die, even if I am falling right into a trap. " He says with determination, unstrapping his main pack from his back to reduce his load in the event that this does boil down to a fight. He stood atop the snowdrift and secured his shield against his arm with it's strap.

" You're right, It's likely a trap, so stay at the ready, weapons out." He begins." Rasso or Ordrud, one of you with me. Also Fenyx, If you could send one of the dead with us. Keep the other one close at your side and circle the wagons here. If this is just a distraction then we don't want to get caught with our pants down. In the likely event that the trap is sprung when we go after Lohengrin, be prepared to move in."
___________________________________________________________________
When the others are ready, or when it looks like they are ready, Styvanus will spring down toward the bound and gagged soldier unless someone strongly opposes this and says otherwise. He's pretty set on this so even if the others are completely opposed he's not going to set by and do nothing for this Andoran soldier in obvious distress. He's the type to put himself in the line of danger, I just hope it doesn't end up costing him.

Dark Archive

Male Chelish Human Fighter 1/Gunslinger 2/Guardian 1
Stats:
HP 39/39; AC 19, Flat Footed 17, Touch 12; CMD 19; Fort +8, Ref +4, Will +2; Perception +7; Initiative +3

Upon hearing Styvanus's orders, Marcellano hefts his musket, drops down to a kneeling position and begins to scan the area, keeping an eye out for anyone. Obvious trap, but I can understand his reasoning. Good to know that its a trap and set it off willingly, than to blunder in not knowing its a trap and accidently setting it off. Lets see if we can find out whoever these bastards are..
_____________________________________-

Is there any place I could use as cover? I'd rather not necessarily kneel down in the open if possible.. though if I have to, I'll do it.


Half-orc warrior | HP 72/72 | Bond 6/6 | LoH 5/5 | Smite 2/2 | 1st 2/2 | Ferocity 1/1 | AC 21 Touch 11 FF 20 CMD 20 | Fort +8 Ref +5 Will +7(+9) | Initiative +1 | Perception +6, Darkvision 60 ft.

Ordrud hears the dwarf and captain and draws his greatsword from his waist scabbard. He starts looking around and positioning his snowshoe-bound feet for quick reaction. He sure wished these guys believed in fully healing after combat.


@Marcellano: Not without going into the lumber camp. You're on the south side of it right now out in the open, the camp is to the north of you composed of a handful of wooden framework skeletons that were once large buildings, very little cover there too (but also not really anywhere to hide from you guys as well.) North beyond the camp is the edge of the Darkmoon wood.

@Ordrud: You'd know that when Gwyn's team came through here the first time they didn't find anything of interest, there's hardly even any remnants of buildings left. The team passed through and made a brief sweep of the area, then continued north into the forest.

Dark Archive

Male Chelish Human Fighter 1/Gunslinger 2/Guardian 1
Stats:
HP 39/39; AC 19, Flat Footed 17, Touch 12; CMD 19; Fort +8, Ref +4, Will +2; Perception +7; Initiative +3

Gotcha. Well then, I'm kneeling - +2 AC vs Ranged, -2 AC vs Melee.

Edit: Hm I can't even find Kneeling anywhere in the SRD. I know read about it somewhere.. bah. I might just go prone instead! lol. HMMM yes I think I'll go prone instead.


Male Grey Elf (Fey) Magus 3/Champion/Archmage 1 AC 16/12/14/ HP 30/30 / F +5 R +3 W +3 (+9 vs cold weather) / Init. +2 / Perc. +9 / Mythic 3/5)

Many lives are in peril captain. If we fail here then more than just that human below us will die. He knew the risks. Besides.. The cold voice of resentment whispered in the back of Teladon’s mind. Humans breed quickly. One life will soon be replaced by another. I need three minutes. Teladon whispered from behind his mask causing a small puff of warm air to push its way out of the mouth-slit. Cocking his head to the right and looking past the bound man towards the snow covered ruins beyond Teladon nodded to himself as if hearing a voice that no one else is aware of.

Keeping himself low to the ground near the others, Teladon took a single deep calming breath and let his sight expand out past the body of the man who laid freezing in the snow below. Carefully he studied each mound, drift and stone covered ruin trusting in his keen elven sight to show him what the others had missed. Keeping his breath slow and steady the elf slipped in an almost meditative state, looking for that which did not belong. There a small rock jutting from the snow, here the tracks of some sort of game animal. As he cautiously studied the scene below him he quietly whispered to himself the 8th mantra of awareness. Gathering his power to him, Teladon quietly whispered the haunting azlanti invocation. Reaching a crescendo Teladon let the magic take hold, its power slipping over his vision and revealing the third sight. Then using the power of his elven heritage and his years of magical study, Teladon combined them, letting both work to his advantage.

I want to cast detect magic and take 20 on a perception check. Detect magic will allow me to see any magical auras in a cone up to 60’ ahead of me and with my take twenty I’ll have a 26 on my perception check


First levels: 2/4; THP:17/21; HP:43/43; MP:4/5
Stats:
HP:43 THP:21 / AC 17/21, T 11, FF 16 / Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +5 / Perception +2 / Initiative +3

Rasso expends the last of his magical energy to create another magical suit of armor around himself. "Ready when you are cap'n. Lead the way." Rasso says to his friend, moving up next to the man.
_____________________
Cast mage armor.
AC:21
I've got no spells left, this is where other people take up their part of the healing burden.


Sin Mage (Gluttony) 3
Stats:
HP 22/22; AC 11, Flat Footed 10, Touch 11; CMD 11; Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +4; Perception +4; Initiative +1

"A moment, Captain," the necromancer begins, stepping forward with his flanking minions in tow before continuing, "but I must offer a protest, however small it might be, at the thought of exposing ourselves unnecessarily. Instead, I offer a simple alternative—one that sees none of us risking the ire of those who would do us harm. Should we not send these frozen vessels to protect the bound man instead?"

Fenyx gives one of the creatures a solid wallop with the butt of his scythe to demonstrate his point. "They are impressively resilient, and can shield Andis from whatever danger awaits, thus affording any of our own number reprieve from what threatens us." Fenyx then turns his gaze across the lumber camp beyond, though it does little to avail him to the potential danger that lies beyond. "Worst case scenario, our 'pack mules' spring the trap and are destroyed, leaving our unscathed number the opportunity to retaliate in full force." As he finishes, he half-cocks his head forward and raises palms slightly outward, awaiting Styvanus' decision.

Let us hope he sees reason. The path is yet short behind us on our task, and I have no intention of meeting an end similar to Andoran's first force.


First levels: 2/4; THP:17/21; HP:43/43; MP:4/5
Stats:
HP:43 THP:21 / AC 17/21, T 11, FF 16 / Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +5 / Perception +2 / Initiative +3

"I like the way this creepy bastard thinks." Rasso says, with a grin for Fenyx. "What say ye Styv'?"


Teladon:

No magical auras within 60 feet that do not belong to the party.

From your distance of 100 feet away from Andis you see nothing threatening about his location or the surrounding environs...

Liberty's Edge

Stats
Spoiler:
  • HP 25/25
  • AC 20( T: 12/ FF:16)
  • Fort + 4|Ref + 2|Will + 2
  • Init + 2
  • Perception +1

Styvanus nods approval." Very Well Fenyx, I can see your reasoning. Send them in."


Half-orc warrior | HP 72/72 | Bond 6/6 | LoH 5/5 | Smite 2/2 | 1st 2/2 | Ferocity 1/1 | AC 21 Touch 11 FF 20 CMD 20 | Fort +8 Ref +5 Will +7(+9) | Initiative +1 | Perception +6, Darkvision 60 ft.

Maybe the Necromancer should be in charge? Ordrud wonders to himself. The captain is even more idealistic than those Lastwall purists. He continues to search for the ambush or anything that has changed since his last visit.

"Andis, hang on. Help has almost arrived." He offers knowing how slow the team was to feed or heal him.


@Fenyx: Let me know how many of the frostfallen you're sending in to check on Andis.
.
@Everyone: I will hold on showing the results until I have a confirming post from everyone stating their locations/actions. I have a confirmed action from Marcellano (scouting) and Ordrud (scouting). I figure Styv and Rasso's actions may now change, and possibly Teladon's depending on if he has any reaction to the results of his Perception check.
.
@Marcellano: Kneeling can give you soft cover due to snow depth, granting a +4 bonus to AC but not to Reflex saves.
.


First levels: 2/4; THP:17/21; HP:43/43; MP:4/5
Stats:
HP:43 THP:21 / AC 17/21, T 11, FF 16 / Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +5 / Perception +2 / Initiative +3

Rasso will stay back and watch the undead advance, taking 10 on perception (12) to keep his eyes peeled for danger.


Male Dwarf Cleric (Forge-Master) / 3 Mythic Guardian 1

"My counterpart from Shalast has the right of it. We must not blunder into danger where we have other expendable resources, Captain." If there was a hint of insuboridation in his words, it was not present in his tone. Though a tortured shell, remade according to the Rune-lord's design, Karzoug had erased none of Ar'Zarrcal's self-preservation.

Though far from the most skilled of archers, Ar'Zarrcal agreed with Marcellano's idea and kneeled down in the snow. He raised his shield in front of him and rested his light crossbow against one of its frosted edges. His breath steamed in the air as he waited.


Sin Mage (Gluttony) 3
Stats:
HP 22/22; AC 11, Flat Footed 10, Touch 11; CMD 11; Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +4; Perception +4; Initiative +1

Excellent. Perhaps this excursion will not be the mission of blind zeal I had feared. The young wizard gives Styvanus an appraising look, as if recalculating the worth and measure of the one he has been tethered to at Reinn's—and by proxy, Karzoug's—behest. He nods to himself, pleased with the Captain's response. Respecting Teladon's wishes, Fenyx betrays no intent of sending the frostfallen dead in immediately, instead allowing his measured gaze to remain on the Captain.

Diplomacy Check: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15
I'm aware that Diplomacy typically isn't the domain of PC-on-PC action; simply letting fate decide how flattering Fenyx wants to be with his words.

"My humble thanks, Captain Rozier. It gladdens me to know that you appreciate the merit of using all of the tools available to us as we press towards a mutually beneficial resolution to these dire days of ice and famine. I admit, I initially worried that Ar'Zarrcal and myself had been assigned to an impetuous idealist for a leader. I see that my misgivings were unfounded, and I will do my utmost to repay your trust in kind." You get the impression the man is preparing another elaborate bow, though he instead spares a sidelong glance to Teladon. "But I digress; it seems our masked friend has concluded his vigil."

Fenyx spares a look at the dead creatures that stand to either side of him, the unholy blaze of their eyes having lost no luster in the trek from Falcon's Hollow. Using his left arm to secure the comfort of his cloak about his spindly frame, Fenyx gestures with his remaining hand in the direction of the bound-and-gagged expedition member beyond. "Protect!" The servants obey implicitly, trudging forward and down the snow drift as they prepare to defend the helpless captive.

Assuming nothing interrupts them from doing so, both of the undead will approach Andis and take defensive postures on either side of him.


For the record: I'm totally fine with that sort of use of Diplomacy for purposes gauging how good of a response/prose to write if desired.


Waiting on Talavuc to chime in on this section since we've scene-changed and we should be good.


These dire days of ice and famine.

The words Fenyx speak couldn't ring any more true to those gathered on the hillside as his undead servants begin their march down towards Andis. But something about those words spurs an errant thought.

Famine.

Fenyx was entirely right, it is a time of famine. Most of Andoran has been suffering from crop and livestock shortages for well over a year. Yet something in Falcon's Hollow seemed out of place: All of the food.

The Goose n' Gander was packed full of food. Loaves of bread, wheels of cheese, pounds of fresh meat, vegetables and the like. Whole meals could be prepared with these stores, which is in sharp contrast to the food rationing and bread lines seen in most other settlements suffering from the winter as Andoran is.

Why, then, were the people of Falcon's Hollow so well fed?


Female Human (erutaki) Druid (arctic) 3 / Guardian/Hierophant 1

Bait, but for what reason did they expect more to come? No, he'd not last long in the snow and ice. This is recent. They know we're here, otherwise why would the dead have come. She sighs and Naasvit looks up at his companion. There will be traps like this all along the route. The pouch of the sling slips from her hand and she sets it to spinning. Best to be prepared... She gives a set of whistles, the same ones that she gave when they first excited the boat and sets to looking about herself.
______________________________
Naasvit's Aid Another Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
I want to take 20 on my Perception check, along with an Aid Another from Nassvit for a total of 31. The giant mink also has scent.


As the group watches on, the frostfallen make their approach thorugh the deep snow down towards Andis. Bound, gagged and squirming the Eagle Knight looks terrified by the approach of the frozen dead and his potential rescuers staying back in wait. All around the lumber camp there is a growing silence, an uncertainty and nervousness highlighted by the muffled screams of Lance-Corporal Andis Lohengrin. The frostfallen are undeterred, marching towards the fallen knight where he lay at the edge of fallen timbers of burned buildings.

The wind picks up, blowing ice crystals and snow across the drift that the group stands on. Over the barrel of his musket, Marcellano sees nothing on the horizon but pine trees, snow and burned buildings. Teladon's magical scanning of the area sweeps the snow in a 60-foot arc in front of the party, his vision seeking out traces of magical energy that may have been used to lay a trap. Even Talavuc's wary stare sees little more than ice and snow, Naasvit's twitching nose failing to pick up any threatening scents at this distance.

None of them could have foreseen what the actual danger was.

As the frostfallen close in on Andis they pass by the strange wooden stake tops that Teladon had spotted protruding from the snow. The undead creatures pass between them without warning, one ankle catching a thin tripwire that snaps free of its bracket. The wire whips along the outline of the stakes, activating a crude mechanism below where Andis lays in the snow.

A second later there is a thunderous explosion that sends a shockwave across the ruined lumber camp. Snow, dirt, blood and gore explode upwards from the detonation of a powder keg below Andis, a twenty-foot wide crater of destruction that showers the area within two hundred feet with clumps of ice, meltwater, dirt, rocks, wooden flinders and bits of bone, and metal.

The snow is dark red around where Andis once lay, the frostfallen nowhere to be seen. Shrapnel that may have been armor is scattered everywhere along with partially recognizable pieces of Andis Lohengrin sticking up out of the snow; a foot here, a hand there, part of a ribcage and a jawbone. It's hard to tell what belonged to the frostfallen and what belonged to the Eagle Knight.

The shockwave causes snow to settle from the branches of nearby trees and burned timbers.

Everyone's ears are left ringing.

Blood is everywhere.
 
 
 
 
 
 
                        REIGN OF WINTER
              THE SNOWS OF SUMMER
                     Part II: Ice and Blood
  
 
 
 
 
__________
Gun Powder Keg Trap: 5d6 ⇒ (5, 6, 4, 5, 1) = 21
Frostfallen 1, Reflex Save: 1d20 ⇒ 1 (armor destroyed)
Frostfallen 2, Reflex Save: 1d20 ⇒ 2
Frostfallen 1: Destroyed
Frostfallen 2: Destroyed
Andis Lohengrin: -16hp dead


First levels: 2/4; THP:17/21; HP:43/43; MP:4/5
Stats:
HP:43 THP:21 / AC 17/21, T 11, FF 16 / Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +5 / Perception +2 / Initiative +3

"Shiiiiiiiit." Rasso says, after ducking briefly, a stunned look on his face.

Liberty's Edge

Stats
Spoiler:
  • HP 25/25
  • AC 20( T: 12/ FF:16)
  • Fort + 4|Ref + 2|Will + 2
  • Init + 2
  • Perception +1

Styvanus ducked behind his shield, the explosion catching him off guard. He hears Rasso's words like a distant whisper over the ringing in his ears. He feels the vibration in his shield like a tuning fork recoiling from the force of the blast. How didn't I see that coming?! His thoughts shouted within the confines of his head. He gritted his teeth and went down to a knee shaking his head. After a long moment of motionless silent he let out an exasperated breath and rose again to his feet, paying a final passing glance at the gruesome scene over his shoulder. Pull yourself together. He reminded himself solemnly.

" Well If they didn't know we were here before, they do now."


Female Human (erutaki) Druid (arctic) 3 / Guardian/Hierophant 1

The blast causes her heart to skip a beat and her entire body to jump. Naasvit nearly bolts into the nearby brush out of fright, but sticks by his master, noticeably in a near panic state. As she recovers, she bends down near the giant mink and begins whispering to him, stroking his fur and doing her best to comfort him.

After getting the mink to settle a bit, she stands, still shaking a bit. "What was that? I have never seen or heard such a thing." She looks over to the crater were Andis once was, picking a piece of bone from the hides she wore. "That poor man... This is the enemy we face," she shakes her head. "They must be made to pay for what they've done here." A hard look crosses her face and she begins to head to the crater. "I will see if there is anything nearby to reveal where those that placed him have gone."
_______________________________
Keeping Naasvit Calm
Handle Animal: 1d20 + 6 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 6 + 4 = 19

If not stopped by others: Track
Survival: 1d20 + 12 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 12 + 1 = 16
She doesn't have Naasvit help her, as she's a bit out of sorts at the moment.

Liberty's Edge

Stats
Spoiler:
  • HP 25/25
  • AC 20( T: 12/ FF:16)
  • Fort + 4|Ref + 2|Will + 2
  • Init + 2
  • Perception +1

Styvanus keeps his face stoic and nods his approval to Talavuc's words. Silently he goes about the task of assisting her.

__________________________________________________
He'll take 10 on his survival if you'll allow that.


Half-orc warrior | HP 72/72 | Bond 6/6 | LoH 5/5 | Smite 2/2 | 1st 2/2 | Ferocity 1/1 | AC 21 Touch 11 FF 20 CMD 20 | Fort +8 Ref +5 Will +7(+9) | Initiative +1 | Perception +6, Darkvision 60 ft.

Ordrud covered his face with the inside of his left elbow when the explosion wave hit. His ears rang. His eyes stung. Poor Andis. Hopefully it was quick.

He searched for a second stage of the ambush to come but the silence returned when the echos stopped. Replying to the captain in thought, No sh!t. This officer has the command of the obvious well in hand.

"They would expect us to bivouac in these ruins. We did it last time. So we probably should push on and find another defensible spot for the night." Ordrud offers while scabbarding his sword.


Male Dwarf Cleric (Forge-Master) / 3 Mythic Guardian 1

When the smoke cleared and the full extent of the explosion was revealed Ar'Zarrcal turned to Teladon with obvious surprise in his eyes. His ears were ringing and bits of snow and gore had fallen on his heavily armored form. The elf had clearly missed that. So much for their vaunted senses. He was glad that he had trusted in his dwarven gut, rather than elvish eyes.

He did not speak and instead remained kneeling in the snow, his crossbow at the ready as he searched the immediate area. If nothing immediately presented himself he would wait till the captain came near and then speak.

"It could be they might think us victims of that trap. Maybe we can trap them next? If they think us dead, we might catch our unknown enemies less prepared."


Male Grey Elf (Fey) Magus 3/Champion/Archmage 1 AC 16/12/14/ HP 30/30 / F +5 R +3 W +3 (+9 vs cold weather) / Init. +2 / Perc. +9 / Mythic 3/5)

Feeling the force of the explosion impact against his chest, Teladon was rocked backwards as a gust of snow rushed past him by the manmade blast. Shaking his head from behind the mask the elf pushed himself to his feet. Humans.. Teladon thought looking at the carnage below him and smelling the acrid tang of sulfur. Glancing back towards Marcellano who was gripping his musket Teladon gritted his teeth. This was not the first time he had seen gun powder employed but humans were already dangerous enough before they gained the secret of black powder. It’s like giving a child the ability to summon forth a fireball without the wisdom in how to employ it properly. Teladon reflected as his cool gaze passed over the burned flesh and scorched bone that littered the ground. Yes.. they were dangerous enough before.. but now they are much.. much worse. I must be wary.

Carefully putting his hand carved elven longbow away, Teladon brushed the snow off of his knees. The hunters whoever they were had been smart. The trap was not magical so it couldn’t be detected by spell and they knew that the freshly fallen snow would hide the tripwire. Whoever placed it was careful and intelligent. That was something that Teladon could appreciate in a foe. It wouldn’t stop him from killing them.. but he could appreciate it.

Briefly Teladon considered his feeling. A man had just died, not one hundred feet in front of him and at least for the moment, Teladon did not care, nor did he suspect he would care later. He wondered fleetingly if the others knew of the brightness.. knew that their friend had left this cold, cruel world towards a better place. He doubted it mattered to them. Humans only seemed to care for gold, mating and war. They could only focus on the here and now. They live in the moment while we live in eternity Teladon thought. And that is why they will never know any form of peace.


First levels: 2/4; THP:17/21; HP:43/43; MP:4/5
Stats:
HP:43 THP:21 / AC 17/21, T 11, FF 16 / Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +5 / Perception +2 / Initiative +3

Rasso ploughs forward through the snow a few paces behind Styvanus and Talavuc. Not the first man I seen blowed up in me day. But damn, that was harsh.


Half-orc warrior | HP 72/72 | Bond 6/6 | LoH 5/5 | Smite 2/2 | 1st 2/2 | Ferocity 1/1 | AC 21 Touch 11 FF 20 CMD 20 | Fort +8 Ref +5 Will +7(+9) | Initiative +1 | Perception +6, Darkvision 60 ft.

Seeing the group moving towards the ruins, Ordrud continues. "We already searched and didn't find anything useful in the ruins. Plus, we don't need to know where the hunters have gone, because they will find us. Count on it. Our mission is that tornado, right? Let's go."

Did they have a different briefing than me? Do they not feel the danger all around here? C'mon. He wonders while watching each of the group. Maybe the Necromancer will talk some sense into them.

Dark Archive

Male Chelish Human Fighter 1/Gunslinger 2/Guardian 1
Stats:
HP 39/39; AC 19, Flat Footed 17, Touch 12; CMD 19; Fort +8, Ref +4, Will +2; Perception +7; Initiative +3

Well. That was a familiar sound. Gunpowder keg explosion. Brings me back to some fond memories. But the way they used that poor sod as bait.. that was not right. Andoran or not, he was a soldier.. you don't use soldiers like that. Let them willingly sacrifice themselves.. not bound and tied to a barrel of gunpowder. These bastards will feel the anger of Cheliax for that..

Ears ringing, half-covered in snow, among other things, and laying on the ground, Marcellano yells over the ringing in his years, "Keg of Gunpowder! Bastards had him rigged to it.. luckily we had the two meatsacks to take the hit, rather than one of us. We need to be careful from here on out. One keg like that and you'll be lucky to have only lost both of your legs.

Marcellano gets up and sticks a finger in each ear, trying to make the ringing stop. He says in a quieter tone, "I've seen those kinds of explosions before. Sometimes the gunpowder store in a ship would get hit, and the entire ship would blow in half. Occasionally we'd blow up a pirate ship by setting the powder kegs on fire manually, before getting the Hells out of there. This wasn't right, though. No soldier should die hogtied and rigged to explode."


Female Human (erutaki) Druid (arctic) 3 / Guardian/Hierophant 1

"Whether or not it is known, that was both terrible and unnatural." She sighs and continues her search for the villains who set the trap. She glances at Ordrud, "Whether or not the mission is the tornado, we must insure that the hunters are dealt with before we move on it. Unless that is where they currently lair, there is little reason to open our backs to such an enemy while we attempt to stop another."


Half-orc warrior | HP 72/72 | Bond 6/6 | LoH 5/5 | Smite 2/2 | 1st 2/2 | Ferocity 1/1 | AC 21 Touch 11 FF 20 CMD 20 | Fort +8 Ref +5 Will +7(+9) | Initiative +1 | Perception +6, Darkvision 60 ft.

Ordrud shrugs at the woman's comments. If the hunters were here, they would have attacked. Would we follow the hunters tracks away from the tornado to their camp if we find them? I hope not. Get in. Get out. Those hunters can travel quickly through these woods that they know better than us and all have muskets.

He shakes his head and starts looking near the area where the group must leave the camp toward the tornado.

Survival: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7

251 to 300 of 1,337 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Ruins of Pathfinder: Reign of Winter All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.