Rise of the Runelords with a Twist

Game Master Shadow Bloodmoon

Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition with some Variant Rules in Play

Maps, etc.


4,901 to 4,950 of 5,001 << first < prev | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | next > last >>

Savage Rifts RotRwT

The two feathers, other than their coloration, look very similar in shape and size, though the black one is rather old and missing a few of the tines from it. The red one looks more new.

Let me know how you wish to proceed. The messenger will literally cost 1cp and each night at the Asmodia is two silvers, three if you want a blanket.


M Halfling Medium (Fiendkeeper) 5

Ok, after getting a room for the night at Asmodia's Hall for the two of them, we send messenger is sent to the Halls of Justice, to let the Front Desk lady where we are staying (so she can message us when an opening in the judge's schedule opens). After that, khamul ducking into the alley behind the Asmodia (with Grenz watching and keeping the rif-raff off), he does his seance for the day, channelling a trickster spirit (seance boon: Diplomacy, trickster's edge Appraise and spellcraft).

He uses the skills gained to assess the value of some of the more obscure things in the loot collection:

Appraise, Painting and Frame: 3d6 + 5 + 3 + 1 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (5, 4, 3) + 5 + 3 + 1 + 2 + 1 = 24
5 ranks +3 trained +1 int +2 spirit bonus +1 guidance

Appraise, Vials of Unknown: 3d6 + 5 + 3 + 1 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (4, 4, 5) + 5 + 3 + 1 + 2 + 1 = 25

Appraise, Rose Pendant: 3d6 + 5 + 3 + 1 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (2, 3, 3) + 5 + 3 + 1 + 2 + 1 = 20

Appraise, Cyan Earring: 3d6 + 5 + 3 + 1 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (6, 6, 2) + 5 + 3 + 1 + 2 + 1 = 26

and to try to figure out exactly what this magical locket is (uses detect magic and spellcraft)

Spellcraft, Magical Locket: 3d6 + 5 + 3 + 1 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (1, 5, 3) + 5 + 3 + 1 + 2 + 1 = 21
5 ranks +3 trained +1 int +2 spirit bonus +1 guidance

After doing the assessment of the remaining bits of loot, he and Grenz go on a spree, selling everything they don't want to keep in the markets of the big city...

They also pick up a few things on the way...

So what's available in Magnimar DM ShadowBloodmoon? Estimate about 8000 gp apiece right now...


Savage Rifts RotRwT

Shopping:
See the Discussion thread for the loot prices. Currently, other than healing potions and basic scrolls, the following are also available in the city of Magnimar:

  • Boulderhead Mace (6812 gp)
    Every strike by this weapon is accompanied by eerie silence.

  • Gauntlet (+1 weapon) (2302 gp)
    Every strike by this weapon is accompanied by a monstrous snarl.

  • Goggles of Brilliant Light (8800 gp)
    This masterwork item was created by a god of magic for his most loyal champion.

  • Heavy Steel Shield (+1 shield, Animated) (9170 gp)
    An ornate shield, painted with an unknown coat of arms.

  • Oil of Gentle Repose (cr, 300 gp)
    This cloudy scarlet draught smells like cheese.

  • Oil of Purify Food and Drink (cr, 25 gp)
    This cloudy green tincture smells bitter.

  • Ring of Friend Shield (50000 gp) (design provides clue to function)
    This ornate brass ring was created by the elf artificer Flone.

  • Scroll of Corrosive Touch (um, 25 gp)

  • Scroll of Remove Disease (cr, 375 gp)

  • Slippers of Spider Climbing (4800 gp) (inscription provides clue to function)
    This ornate item was created by the half-orc artificer Vidusi.

  • Staff of Stealth (36800 gp)
    A finely crafted staff, set with bloodstone.

Almost anything mundane is available as well, and if you know where to look, quite a bit of illegal things can be found as well.


M Halfling Medium (Fiendkeeper) 5

Later in the afternoon (~1600), buying and selling done, Khamul and Grenz stop back at the Asmodai to see if they have any messages waiting...

Assuming No Messages:

They head back out, and Khamul displays the red feather, trying to attract a guide to take them to the address where the front desk lady wanted to meet...

Assuming we get another kid as a guide, Khamul tries to see if he is also marked with the Sihedron... without being to obvious about it.
Perception: 3d6 + 5 + 3 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (4, 2, 2) + 5 + 3 + 1 + 2 = 19
5 ranks +3 trained+1 Trait +2 spirit bonus

Bluff, Inconspicuous Action: 3d6 + 2 + 3 + 1 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (4, 1, 3) + 2 + 3 + 1 + 1 + 2 = 17
2 ranks +3 trained +1 Cha+1 Trait+2 spirit bonus


Savage Rifts RotRwT

After spending the day haggling over prices and trying to find the best deals on new equipment, Grenz and Khamul feel as if they know the city of Magnimar a little better than they may want to. While some of the dealings took place in the Alabaster Quarter, where the richest of rich live, some of it took place in a place called Underbridge, which lives up to its name and has the deep shadows to emphasize why its considered one of the most dangerous parts of town. Still, a halfling with a bodyguard can get by pretty well with a few meaningful glares in the right direction and you are left alone.

Later, when all is said and done, you find yourselves ready to figure out the next steps and where the young lady from the desk wanted you to meet her. Not long after displaying the red feather, a young human girl, not even ten winters, runs up to you. ”Where to friends of the Friends?” When you tell her your destination, she frowns, a recent bruise on her forehead betraying what might have happened to her. ”I can take you to outside the gates, but the guards don’t let us in there. Alabaster is not for the likes of us.”

After a quarter hour of a walk, the girl leaves you at the gates to Alabaster Quarter, but not until asking for her payment (1gp). ”In there is Foxglove Estate. No one’s lived there in a long time. Not sure why you’d want to go there, but it’s your coin.” Once she has her money, she smiles and says, ”See ya!”, before disappearing into the crowds.

The estate itself looks rundown, worse than the manor. A sign posted on the front gate, which hangs half open, explains that the city will be condemning the place and the land will be up for sale soon. It was dated over a year ago. No one stands guard outside of it, though if you look up and down the thoroughfare, all of the other estates have guards at their gates. It seems that Foxglove Estate is truly alone. So far, there is no sign of the woman with whom you are to meet.

@Khamul- When speaking with the girl, you did not notice a sign on her. Her tattered clothes did not show enough to see more than her arms, legs, shoulders and face however. It is possible that if she does have a mark, it is hidden under her clothes. You did notice that she ran with a slight limp and her left knee seemed misplaced.


M Halfling Medium (Fiendkeeper) 5

Damn, I was figuring a social encounter, not a possible fight...

Once the girl has left, Khamul turns to Grenz and mutters "Foxglove... again...". Once at the estate, he takes a look up and down the street assessing the guards on the other mansions: are they paying any attention to what's going on over here? (Also, are they private guards or Magnimarian guards?)

Not sure if you want a roll to assess the guards...


Savage Rifts RotRwT

The guards at the other posts look bored and each has a different set of colors, none of which match the greens and blues of the Magnimarian Guard. This tells you that they are more than likely house guards only. They don’t seem to care who is around Foxglove Estate, it’s almost as if they avoid looking at it altogether.


M Halfling Medium (Fiendkeeper) 5

Khamul trades a glance with Grenz and then they step inside the gate...

Once inside and out of view from the street, he says "We know that the letter that Aldern had from Xanesha suggested that, if he had forgotten, he should return to his townhouse in Magnimar. I figure we might do well to toss the place..."


Khamul Froghoth wrote:
Once the girl has left, Khamul turns to Grenz and mutters "Foxglove... again...".

Grenz's frown is all the reply Khamul might need, as the half-orc looks over the house.

Khamul Froghoth wrote:

Khamul trades a glance with Grenz and then they step inside the gate...

Once inside and out of view from the street, he says "We know that the letter that Aldern had from Xanesha suggested that, if he had forgotten, he should return to his townhouse in Magnimar. I figure we might do well to toss the place..."

"Yep, let's take a look" - he nodded, moving forward, while Scourge sniffed at the air.


Savage Rifts RotRwT

Despite your misgivings, you move closer to the townhouse of the estate. It definitely could use some maintenance, though you notice that as you get closer, someone must have been here at some point, as the windows are boarded up and there is a locked chain crossing the main entrance. Surely, there must be another way in, or you could try the servant’s house. Before you get a chance to decide, your hear a muffled set of slow footsteps approaching from the side of the house, as if someone is trying and failing to sneak up on you.

I’ll let you decide how to react.


M Halfling Medium (Fiendkeeper) 5

Khamul whispers to Grenz "Think it's her?" He turns his hound to face where the footsteps are coming. Even as he does so, his eyes roam, in case this is a distraction. He mantles himself in psychic power (casts guidance) and waits...

Perception, find a sneak...: 3d6 + 5 + 3 + 1 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (4, 6, 5) + 5 + 3 + 1 + 4 + 2 = 30
5 ranks +3 trained+1 Trait+4 Racial to detect danger+2 spirit bonus

Not using the guidance bonus on perception, because I want it available for later...


"Could be" - Grenz nodded, and moved to hide around the side.

Stealth?: 3d6 + 2 ⇒ (4, 6, 6) + 2 = 18


Savage Rifts RotRwT

Grenz quickly hides in the shadows of the townhouse’s front porch. He waits to see who is coming around the bend as Khamul searches for others who might be with the approaching unknown. After a moment, the woman from the Justice office comes around the corner. She is startled at first, but realizing that it is Khamul, she quickly tries to gather herself.

”Oh, thank the gods it’s you. I was beginning to worry that some of the local trouble was here again.”

@Khamul:
You notice that there is a spot of blood on her blouse and that there is someone or something watching from a window just above the porch.


M Halfling Medium (Fiendkeeper) 5

First off...

Sense Motive, is she setting us up...: 3d6 + 3 + 3 + 1 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (1, 3, 3) + 3 + 3 + 1 + 1 + 2 = 17
3 ranks +3 trained +1 Trait+1 guidance+2 spirit bonus
Using the guidance bonus now...

"Yes, it's me. You picked an odd place for a meeting. I was expecting a tavern or a restaurant. Still, I suppose this is private, you said you had more details for me?"

Note, I am not letting on that Grenz is here, although I suspect the one watching from above has seen him already...

Bluff if needed:

Bluff: 3d6 + 2 + 3 + 2 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (4, 3, 4) + 2 + 3 + 2 + 1 + 2 = 21
2 ranks +3 trained +2 Cha+1 Trait+2 spirit bonus


Savage Rifts RotRwT

@Khamul:
Looking at her demeanor, you can tell that she is nervous about something. It could be the meeting or the fact that she is in a rundown noble’s manor by herself with two people she just met. You do notice that she pays no mind to the spot on her blouse, but you see no immediate wounds on her. She does not seem worried that there might be someone inside.

She nods, saying, ”Well, since I know some of the business that goes on around here, I know that that this place is about as private as one can get. They say there is a curse on the place and I have seen more than a few people come and go trying to get into it, but I’m pretty sure that other than the city guard, who couldn’t care less about the place, I have the only key to this lock.” Sure enough, she produces a key from the folds of her clothing and begins to unlock the chain holding the door closed. She doesn’t seem to notice Grenz hiding just out of sight.

As the doors opens, the inside is a stark contrast to the outside. Instead of dust and covers and cobwebs that you might expect in such a rundown place, it looks as if it has been fairly well maintained. While it isn’t nobly immaculate, it is certainly cleaned up. The divan ahead of you in the receiving room has a colorful flower print and the chairs near it match. The table setup in the middle of them has a tea service set out and judging by the steam coming from the pot, it is fresh. A few lit candles give the place a strangely unsettling ambience.

”Please sit, make yourselves comfortable. Our host will be along shortly to explain everything.” She then excuses herself to go into another room.

What do you do?


M Halfling Medium (Fiendkeeper) 5

Not sure if she's seen Grenz or not, " She doesn’t seem to notice Grenz hiding just out of sight." but then "Yourselves" (a plural)...

Rather than ride his hound into the house, Khamul hops off and commands it to stay.

Handle Animal: 3d6 + 5 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (5, 2, 4) + 5 + 2 + 2 = 20 vs DC 10, Command a Trained Animal, guard trick
5 ranks + 2 cha +2 spirit bonus

After following her into the house, he does not take a seat, nor sample the tea. No, he's on his feet and ready to move. His eyes take in the room, looking for strangeness...

Perception: 3d6 + 5 + 3 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (2, 4, 1) + 5 + 3 + 1 + 2 = 18 and a further +4 to detect danger...
5 ranks +3 trained+1 Trait+2 spirit bonus

When she leaves the room, he slips quietly back to the front door and lets Grenz in...

Stealth: 3d6 + 3 + 3 + 4 + 4 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (1, 1, 1) + 3 + 3 + 4 + 4 + 1 + 2 = 20
3 ranks +3 trained + 4 Dex+4 Small+1 Trait+2 spirit bonus

See if you can find yourself a hiding spot, Grenz.

The he psychically centers himself again, and awaits the mysterious host...

Casts Guidance


Savage Rifts RotRwT

After she disappears, Khamul quickly lets Grenz in the front door and then places himself in the middle of the room, ready for whatever may come next. He hears footsteps coming from another adjoining room.

I’ll give Grenz some time to post and then I’ll move ahead.


Grenz cracks his knuckles - "Remind me again what the hell are we doing here Khamul?" - he grunts in a bad mood. as Scourge produces a low, threatening squeak.


M Halfling Medium (Fiendkeeper) 5

Khamul dips into his psychic abilities once again, to enable quiet communication... (Casts Message)

He whispers back to Grenz "Well, the clerk at the hall of justice wanted to share some info about the local murders with us on the quiet, and she proposed meeting us, and now we're at the abandoned Foxglove townhouse. Now she wants us to meet 'our host' who will 'explain everything'. This is starting to smell like a set up. Because you hid and I don't think she's spotted you, you get to play shaved knuckle in the hole... Hide behind the divan, and jump out to save me if this turns into a fight."


With a nod, Grenz makes himself scarce, hiding behind a curtain or something, and waiting.


Savage Rifts RotRwT

Just as Grenz hides behind the divan, the door opens to let in your host. Standing at six feet tall and wearing a distinct blue coat, you have to take a second look to determine whether your eyes are lying to you. There, in front of you, is Lord Aldern Foxglove.

”Well met, friends. It seems that we have a few things to discuss, the least of which is my apparent death. Please tell me, how did I die again?”

Insight DC 20:
This person truly believes they are Lord Foxglove, but you sense that there is something strange in the way their eyes seems to dart back and forth, focused on something just behind you.


M Halfling Medium (Fiendkeeper) 5

Insight? Do you mean Sense Motive?

Sense Motive: 3d6 + 3 + 3 + 1 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (2, 2, 6) + 3 + 3 + 1 + 1 + 2 = 20

3 ranks +3 trained +1 Trait+1 guidance +2 spirit bonus


M Halfling Medium (Fiendkeeper) 5

Khamul replies "The promise was that you were going to explain everything to us, not us explaining things to you... Lets start with who are you? What do you know about these murders?"


Savage Rifts RotRwT

Yes, Sense Motive. Had DnD on the brain.

A half-smile slowly appears on the man’s face. ”Well then, I seem to have forgotten my manners. I would think you were already aware of my identity. I am Lord Aldern Foxglove, last surviving heir of the Foxglove line, and from what my assistant, Maeve, tells me, I have been killed. This is very perplexing to me, as I do not recall being dead and I feel in my best health.”

At the mention of her name, the woman from the Justice office comes through the door bearing a tray of biscuits. ”My lord, if you please, I have brought the snacks as requested.” She sets them down on the table and then steps back, waiting with her head bowed.

Lord Foxglove continues, ”I have heard of these murders and it is interesting that you bring them up. You see, here in Magnimar, we have had a similar spate of killings, thus my reluctance to leave what is left of my abode. From what we,” he indicates Maeve with a gesture, ”have been able to tell, the murders have a similar motif. All of those killed have been marked with some sort of rune, though I have not been able to place its origin.” He motions to Maeve, who turns to the mantle and retrieves a sheet of paper and shows it to you. You instantly recognize the Sihedron. ”Perhaps you may be able to shed some light on the subject?”

He indicates the divan with his hand, inviting you to sit.


M Halfling Medium (Fiendkeeper) 5

Khamul does not sit, remaining on his feet and wary. Still, he is willing to converse; "Well met then, Lord Aldern. I am Khamul. I will trade information. I can shed some light on your rune. I have been told is called the Sihedron, and is a symbol of a long lost empire called Thassilon. It was marked on at least one murdered man in Sandpoint. That corpse reanimated as a ghoul... I have also seen written correspondence, found in Foxglove Manor between an Aldern and a Xanesha, Mistress of the Seven. What can you tell me about Xanesha? The correspondence mentioned a debt owed to "the Brothers". Tell me about them..."


Savage Rifts RotRwT

Lord Foxglove nods as Khamul regales him with the story. ”Suit yourself,” he says, indicating Khamul’s desire to remain standing. ”While I have no recollection of writing to someone named Xanesha, I might know the Brothers your letter is referring to. See, the manor was bought with the help of a group of moneylenders calling themselves the ‘Brothers of the Seven’. I have no indication of why they call themselves that, but according to the deed on the manor, they paid two-thirds of the cost of the home with the debt to be repaid later. It appears that debt has fallen to me from my grandfather. If you say that this Xanesha is Mistress of the Seven, perhaps there is a link there. I would not know where to find them however, as we have no such groups here that I am aware of. Maeve?”

The woman looks up from her fiddling with the tea serving. ”There are no such groups that are officially registered with the Justice Office, but like many, that is no indication of their existence or nonexistence. There are many groups who reside here unofficially. I am sorry I can not be of further help, my lord.”

Foxglove waves his hand and Maeve takes a step back. ”Well, then I think we might need to do some investigating. If you’ll join my quest in figuring out who is behind this, I am able to pay you a small stipend. You must of course keep it discreet that I am still alive, as if they find out they did not succeed, I worry that they will try again.”


Grenz grinds his teeth, but remains motionless out of sight.


M Halfling Medium (Fiendkeeper) 5

"Well, I am certain that I want to find out what is going on and who is behind what, so I will be happy to take your stipend and do some investigating. I have no doubt my colleague Grenz will also be happy to investigate as well. I can promise both of us can be discreet. So what do you want found out? Who killed you and why?"

As he chats, Khamul studies Lord Foxglove carefully.

Perception: 3d6 + 5 + 3 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (2, 6, 1) + 5 + 3 + 1 + 2 = 20 and 1) a further +4 to detect danger if applicable 2) +2 circumstance to detect undead, (Cai's Notes.
5 ranks +3 trained+1 Trait+2 spirit bonus

Can I tell if he's actually alive?


Savage Rifts RotRwT

Yes, he is quite alive. There are none of the usual signs of undead that Cai’s notes mention. The only thing that stands out is that his eyes seem to dart back and forth as he speaks. Something unusual for most humans.

”Yes, that is it exactly. Who wanted me killed and why. While I realize there is a debt to be paid, I did not realize it was with blood.” He smiles at his dark joke. ”Perhaps looking into this Brotherhood, or finding out who Xanesha even is would be our best bet.” He looks at Maeve and motions to her. She nods and leaves the room for a moment. ”She is going to retrieve some spending money. In this city, money opens a lot of doors that would otherwise be closed.”

After a few moments, Maeve returns with a small coffer. She sets it on the table and opens it. There are fifty platinum Magnimarian coins held within a velvet cushion.

After Maeve steps away, Lord Foxglove pushes it towards you. ”I’d recommend keeping a close eye on it, especially if you descend into the lower parts of the city. The local ruffians can be, persuasive. Perhaps when we next meet, we will be able to share a cup of tea and some information that will lead us to my malefactor. If you’ll forgive me, I have other matters to attend to. Maeve, please see him out.” With that, Lord Foxglove stands and bows. You notice he looks towards the area Grenz has been hiding, but he makes no mention of it and turns to go through a door.

Maeve looks at you and says, ”I hope this coin will help. I worry for my master’s safety.”


M Halfling Medium (Fiendkeeper) 5

"We'll put the coin to good use, Miss Maeve. But if his lordship is busy, perhaps you could answer my questions. My first question is what do you know about the murders that have been happening in Magnimar? How many have there been? Is there any pattern to them, from those victimized to where they happened?"

Grenz, I may have screwed up. I snuck you in here, but do you have any ideas about how to sneak you back out? Also, what do you think is going on with this second Aldern Foxglove?


I'll just reveal myself, no worries :D

Before 'Foxglove' leaves through the door, Grenz reveals himself - "I get the feeling you already knew I was here" - he grunts.


Savage Rifts RotRwT

Foxglove looks at Grenz and only one half of his mouth turns to a smile. ”No, but I had a feeling that little Khamul was too smart to come here alone.” Without another word, the Lord continues on his exit.

Maeve turns to Khamul after watching her master leave. She seems unfazed at Grenz’s appearance. ”So far there have been six and the only thing that seems to link them is the symbol carved on their bodies. We have a theory though, that each one of these people had something to do with money, as when they were found, they had just recently spent a large amount or come in to a large amount of coin.”


M Halfling Medium (Fiendkeeper) 5
DM ShadowBloodmoon wrote:
Foxglove looks at Grenz and only one half of his mouth turns to a smile. ”No, but I had a feeling that little Khamul was too smart to come here alone.” Without another word, the Lord continues on his exit.

As Lord Foxglove finishes his exit, Khamul nods and replies sotto voice "He knows the score..."

DM ShadowBloodmoon wrote:
Maeve turns to Khamul after watching her master leave. She seems unfazed at Grenz’s appearance. ”So far there have been six and the only thing that seems to link them is the symbol carved on their bodies. We have a theory though, that each one of these people had something to do with money, as when they were found, they had just recently spent a large amount or come in to a large amount of coin.”

Khamul looks down at the coffer full of platinum in his hands and then looks up at the ceiling in silent prayer for a second...Then he gets back to business: "When did Lord Foxglove come to take up residence here in the townhouse, rather than in the family manor? Also, in the interests of ensuring his safety, have you searched this house thoroughly?"


Savage Rifts RotRwT

Maeve looks at Khamul and then at Grenz, a strange look crossing her face. ”Well, I know that he came here at least a few weeks ago. He was going to renovate the manor near Sandpoint, but the money had started to run out. That’s when I met him. He seemed such a nice man, I wanted to help him as much as I could. Especially after he told me what happened to his wife.” She seems to be lost in thought for a moment and then continues. ”This is a big house, but I don’t believe we have searched every corner, no. There is only the two of us, see.” She trails off.

Sense Motive DC 20:
There is something off about the way she is explaining her relationship with Lord Foxglove. As if there is a fact she is purposely leaving out.


M Halfling Medium (Fiendkeeper) 5

Sense Motive: 3d6 + 3 + 3 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (1, 6, 6) + 3 + 3 + 1 + 2 = 22
3 ranks +3 trained +1 Trait+2 spirit bonus


M Halfling Medium (Fiendkeeper) 5

"I am not familiar with the Foxglove family. Who was his wife and what happened to her?"

As Khamul understands it, Iesha was his wife and he murdered her; thus her return as a undead thing to kill him... but he'd rather feign ignorance and hear what story is being told.

Bluff: 3d6 + 2 + 3 + 2 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (3, 5, 6) + 2 + 3 + 2 + 1 + 2 = 24
2 ranks +3 trained +2 Cha+1 Trait+2 spirit bonus


"So Foxglove came here, you thought he seemed like a nice man, and you wanted to help him as much as you could" - Grenz frowned deeply, then looking at Khamul.

"Is this something you do often? Help people out of the kindness of your heart?" - he asked her.


Savage Rifts RotRwT

”The way he tells it, he adored his wife, but a man took advantage of Lord Foxglove’s being gone on business and tried to convince Lady Iesha to leave with him. When she refused, the man killed the poor woman. Lord Foxglove has been trying to put his life back together since.” She looks pointedly at Grenz. ”Yes, as a matter of fact, I do care about the people I work with. He did also offer to pay me for my extra work as well, so I took him up on it.”


M Halfling Medium (Fiendkeeper) 5

"A horrible story. Well, to business, to ensure the lord's safety, Grenz and I will search the house. After that detail is attended to, we will be on our way."

So, will she (and "Lord Foxglove" let us search the house? I guess we find out. If you recall, the letter we found in blue-coats lair, said, if Aldern forgot the Sihedron ritual during his transformation, he should return to his townhouse where 'Xanesha's agents would contact him...

@Grenz I assume you looked under the spoiler above after I made the sense motive DC, but in case you didn't "There is something off about the way she is explaining her relationship with Lord Foxglove. As if there is a fact she is purposely leaving out." I can see 2 possibles, a) she's sleeping with him, or b) she's with him as she's Xanesha's agent... You got any other ideas?


I was thinking she might be magically charmed? Because of the expression 'That’s when I met him. He seemed such a nice man, I wanted to help him as much as I could.'


Savage Rifts RotRwT

Maeve nods. ”Of course, but please do not disturb Lord Foxglove in his study. I will be tending to the manor, so if you need anything, I will be around.” With that, the woman does as she says and start tidying up the meal she had brought in.


M Halfling Medium (Fiendkeeper) 5

Khamul will take this opportunity to thoroughly search the townhouse, basement on up...

Perception: 3d6 + 5 + 3 + 1 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (1, 4, 1) + 5 + 3 + 1 + 2 + 1 = 18 and 1) a further +4 to detect danger if applicable 2) +2 circumstance to detect undead, (Cai's Notes).
5 ranks +3 trained+1 Trait+2 spirit bonus +1 guidance

Looking in particular for presence of the undead, clues about the sihedron ritual (whatever that is), and who/what this false Aldern Foxglove is...

As this will take a several hours (the whole townhouse), it's possible Lord Foxglove will take himself off to bed. If that happens, I'm minded to see if I can sneak into his lordship's study...

As Khamul and Grenz head up to the attic, Khamul messages Grenz "I'd like a peek at his lordship's study, and he might have taken himself off to bed by now. You keep searching upstairs, and don't be too quiet about it, so it sounds like we're both there. I'm going to sneak off and see if his lordship has gone to bed... leaving me to sneak into his study." Khamul then breaks off from the search and sneaks off to Lord Foxglove's study, where he pauses outside the door (engaging his psychic abilities (casts guidance)), to listen if the lord has gone to bed...

Stealth: 3d6 + 3 + 3 + 4 + 4 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (1, 2, 6) + 3 + 3 + 4 + 4 + 1 + 2 = 26
3 ranks +3 trained + 4 Dex+4 Small+1 Trait+2 spirit bonus

Perception, listening through the door, and peeking underneath for candlelight...: 3d6 + 5 + 3 + 1 + 2 + 1 + 4 ⇒ (4, 6, 1) + 5 + 3 + 1 + 2 + 1 + 4 = 27
5 ranks +3 trained+1 Trait+2 spirit bonus+1 guidance+4 detect danger (I'd call a potential guard danger in this situation; if you disagree @shadowboodmoon, adjust away...)

If his lordship isn't there:

Using guidance liberally
Khamul checks the door for traps and then opens it...
Perception: 3d6 + 5 + 3 + 1 + 2 + 1 + 4 ⇒ (4, 3, 2) + 5 + 3 + 1 + 2 + 1 + 4 = 25
5 ranks +3 trained+1 Trait+2 spirit bonus+1 guidance+4 detect danger

Disable Device: 3d6 + 5 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (2, 5, 4) + 5 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 1 + 2 = 29
5 ranks +3 trained +4 Dex+1 Trait+2 MW Tools +1 guidance+2 spirit bonus

Then he searches the study, being careful to put things back as he found them...

Perception: 3d6 + 5 + 3 + 1 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (5, 2, 1) + 5 + 3 + 1 + 2 + 1 = 20
5 ranks +3 trained+1 Trait+2 spirit bonus+1 guidance

Stealth to put things back: 3d6 + 3 + 3 + 4 + 4 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (3, 1, 1) + 3 + 3 + 4 + 4 + 1 + 2 = 22
3 ranks +3 trained + 4 Dex+4 Small+1 Trait+2 spirit bonus

and if there's a locked set of desk drawers or something

Perception for traps: 3d6 + 5 + 3 + 1 + 2 + 1 + 4 ⇒ (4, 1, 3) + 5 + 3 + 1 + 2 + 1 + 4 = 24
5 ranks +3 trained+1 Trait+2 spirit bonus+1 guidance+4 detect danger

Disable Device: 3d6 + 5 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (1, 6, 3) + 5 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 1 + 2 = 28
5 ranks +3 trained +4 Dex+1 Trait+2 MW Tools +1 guidance+2 spirit bonus


Savage Rifts RotRwT

Anything you want to add to that, Grenz?


At Khamul's suggestion, Grenz continues his search upstairs. He is not particularly careful to be quiet, but is not banging doors either.


Savage Rifts RotRwT

You spend the next few hours searching Foxglove’s town home. While it is significantly smaller than the manor, it is still rather large and turning over every nook and cranny takes some doing. Especially with Maeve moving about and running into her more often than not. The place itself has certainly not been kept up well. There are cobwebs and dust in almost every corner, except those where you had been earlier, apparently a priority for entertaining what few guests the Lord may have to visit. It appears that Maeve or someone else has been working to clean up the place.

Other than the usual odds and ends you would find in a place such as this: paintings, vases, statues, other works of art, all covered up; you find that there is little hidden in the Foxglove home and it has little in the way of defenses.

That is, until you get to Foxglove’s study. After you are certain you see no candlelight coming from under his door. You attempt to enter. You find that there is indeed not only a tricky lock, but also a poisoned needle attached to it, poised to strike anyone not able to open the lock.

Luckily, Khamul’s deft hands are able to bypass both and you gain entry. What you find inside is definitely not normal. The usual desks and bookshelves, candle holders and maps, piles of parchment and decorations are all there, sure, but what is odd is that in the center of the room, in front of the desk, is what appears to be a rather large egg, easily as tall as Khamul, though it is green and has slits down the sides. A sort of vine like structure is wrapped around its base and appears to be pulsing slowly. There is a shiny substance covering it, some sort of liquid that is pooled on the floor as well. As you are trying to figure out what it might be, you can hear Maeve a few rooms down speaking to Grenz.

”I am finished for tonight and so I should like to retire. If the two of you are finished, please see yourselves out and I will lock up.” She seems insistent, but not impolite.


M Halfling Medium (Fiendkeeper) 5

Khamul thinks to himself "Damn her sense of timing..."

He pauses, fixing the egg thing in his mind to sketch later, and swiftly draws his dagger. Wary of any threat from the egg-thing, he stoops to scoop some of the liquid from the floor onto the blade as a sample, and then smoothly withdraws from the room, silently closing the door behind him...

I hope that it's some kind of an automatic lock. if not, I will have to stop to lock it again. (And if the trap being disarmed is obvious, I'll have to reset the trap as well...). Hopefully the liquid on the floor is watery enough that the knife mark won't be there in the morning...

He steps into one of the side rooms, snagging a knick-knack tea cup, which he wipes clean his blade into (so he can carry his sample off without a blade in hand). He leaves the teacup on a sideboard in the hall, partially hidden and camouflaged by the other clutter; he plans to palm it up on the way out...

He rejoins Grenz, replying to Maeve, "Yeah, I think we're just about finished here. We didn't find anything dangerous, but better safe than sorry." With a sweeping gesture, he encourages her to lead them the way out, saying "After you, Miss."

As he follows her to the door, behind her back, he snaffles the tea cup from the sideboard where he had hidden it... He keeps it hidden from Maeve, using both his and Grenz's bodies as baffles, as we leave the townhouse.

Sleight of Hand: 3d6 + 1 + 3 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (1, 6, 4) + 1 + 3 + 4 + 2 = 21
1 rank +3 trained +4 dex +2 spirit bonus

Disable Device check if needed:

Disable Device: 3d6 + 5 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (1, 3, 3) + 5 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 2 = 24
5 ranks +3 trained +4 Dex+1 Trait+2 MW Tools +2 spirit bonus


Savage Rifts RotRwT

Surreptitiously taking a sample, Khamul retraces his steps and secures the door behind him, lock, needle and all. Maeve seems happy that you have completed your search and bids you a good evening as she locks the door behind her. ”I hope you are able to help us.”, she calls as she turns one direction down the street and you turn the other. Khamul’s hand rests gingerly on the purloined teacup, unsure of what the substance it contains could be.

It is about 11:30pm by now, so mostly pubs are still open at this hour. Where to?


M Halfling Medium (Fiendkeeper) 5

OK, you haven't said she escorted out, so we're still inside the cordon around the Alabaster quarter...

"Goodnight Maeve, and I hope we'll be able to help you as well." Khamul waves as she walks off.

As soon as she's out of sight, Khamul promptly pulls Grenz into a shadowed spot for a whispered conference.

"There was a poison needle trap on the study door, and something weird inside. An egg shaped thing, about as tall as I am. It's green and has slits down the side, some sort of vine-ish thing around the base and it ... pulsed ... I guess is the word. It was covered in this kind of liquid stuff, and some was spilling on the floor. I took a sample of the liquid and snuck it out in the teacup here... A question for you, I don't recall seeing a bedroom for his lordship, did you? But he definitely wasn't in that study, he'd gone off somewhere..."

@ GM Shadowbloodmoon: Was there a bedroom for Lord Foxglove? Did we get to search it?

"I see two options. First one, we get out of here and look up a sage or such in the morning, with a description and a sample of the liquid, hopefully they will be able to tell us what that egg-thing is. Second option, we sneak back to the townhouse. I let us in the door, and we have a proper search of that study. Maybe we settle that egg thing properly; it's creepy. We'll never get a cleaner shot at the job. We're inside the alabaster quarter guard cordon at the witching hour, and we know Maeve has gone home for the night...

@GM Shadowbloodmoon: Another question, was there anything in the house worth stealing (in terms of value and easy sellability).

Appraise: 3d6 + 5 + 3 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (3, 1, 2) + 5 + 3 + 1 + 2 = 17
5 ranks +3 trained +1 int +2 spirit bonus


"Hmmmm, I think we should leave" - Grenz replies in a whisper - "I completely agree with you there are a lot of things here which do not add up, but we have no proof - we could simply be invading someone's home because we are suspicious of them" - he added - "And that is not right"

@DM ShadowBloodmoon - Grenz's background is about him being a lowly street fighter, brawler and a drunkard. Perhaps that could have happened in Magnimar? Maybe he could know some nice watering holes to visit with Khamul? :D


M Halfling Medium (Fiendkeeper) 5

"All right then, let's go, before the guards decide we're vagrants or something and try to break our heads..."

4,901 to 4,950 of 5,001 << first < prev | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Rise of the Runelords with a Twist All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.