Red Hand of Doom [E6]

Game Master Aldizog

Invasion Plan map
Combat Maps


2,801 to 2,850 of 2,862 << first < prev | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | next > last >>

Loot Table Female Elf Rogue (Swashbuckler) 3 / Wizard (Thasillonian Conjurer) 3 | HP 57/57 | AC 27, T 17, FF 21 | CMD 20 | F+6 (twist away), R+11, W+8 (+9 vs fear, +10 vs ench.) | Init +8 | Perc +14 |

"I think we should send the hunters to reinforce the West gate. No sense massing together against dragonfire."


HP 50/82 - AC 27 (T16, F23, -3 shield hand, -2 Rage) - CMD 26 (+4 v. Grp, +2 v. Trp) - F+14, R+10, W +4 (+2 Fear) - Init +4 - Per +11 - LLV, DV 60' - Rage 15/15 - AR 5/7 - Flex 3/4 - Res Cold/Elec 5 - DR 1

Bran feels the heat from the distance away, whether or not it was actually there or an omen didn't matter. The sound of the demolished buildings and the sizzle was unmistakable. The warrior could feel it, the danger of the dragon approaching and the do or die instincts kicking in again.

"He's here."

Before he has a chance to say anything he hears the prayer from Desna and feels some magical insulation around himself, "But he's so high up---" However, being in battle with someone for so long makes such statements pointless as he already hears the incantation coming from Tal'ariel. "I'll do what I can. I'll try to force him down to us with these dragonbane arrows that we were gifted."

I was looking for the quantity going back through the posts but can't seem to find any mention of how many we were given.

He stares at the dragon in the sky.

It's time.

Going to wait for you all to get ready then I'll try to arrow it down to us. I'll probably Challenge it the first chance I get. Even with Fly's extra speed and Apprehend it is out of my effective reach currently.


Flame:
HP: 42/42 | AC 14 |+9, d6+3
| Male Half-Elf HP: 56/84 | AC: 25 (t:17, ff:20) | CMB: 10, CMD: 24 | F: +9, R: +10, W: +5 | Init: +7 | Perc: +12 | Speed 30ft | Katana: +12/+12/+7/+7, d8+8, 15-20x2. | Active: Jacket - Ex Retreat, Fly, Haste, IC

Gaius pulls the second of his recently acquired potions and quaffs it in a single full.

"I will drive down!" He adds, racing off down the street far faster than should be possible and then rocketing into the sky.

60ft move with a round of ER, drawing potion as I go. Next round drink potion and start flying.


I didn't specify how many arrows you had, but had meant them to come out of the "5,000 in undefined consumables" mechanic. So they would be 166 each, I think. You can have picked those up already and distributed them among the party. How many and to whom?
Figure that out, and then I will roll initiative and get us into rounds.
Do you want the owls with you or not?


Loot Table Female Elf Rogue (Swashbuckler) 3 / Wizard (Thasillonian Conjurer) 3 | HP 57/57 | AC 27, T 17, FF 21 | CMD 20 | F+6 (twist away), R+11, W+8 (+9 vs fear, +10 vs ench.) | Init +8 | Perc +14 |

Yes to owls, I think. Not sure how we all contribute to fighting a dragon otherwise. As to arrows, it sounds like we should just assume there are more than enough for this battle?


As to arrows, it depends how many you want - it comes out of the 5,000 in undefined consumables that you have access to. Want 10? That's 1,660 off of your 'account'.


Loot Table Female Elf Rogue (Swashbuckler) 3 / Wizard (Thasillonian Conjurer) 3 | HP 57/57 | AC 27, T 17, FF 21 | CMD 20 | F+6 (twist away), R+11, W+8 (+9 vs fear, +10 vs ench.) | Init +8 | Perc +14 |

Oh, I'm slow, these are special Dragonbane arrows aren't they?


Loot Table Female Elf Rogue (Swashbuckler) 3 / Wizard (Thasillonian Conjurer) 3 | HP 57/57 | AC 27, T 17, FF 21 | CMD 20 | F+6 (twist away), R+11, W+8 (+9 vs fear, +10 vs ench.) | Init +8 | Perc +14 |

Tal'ariel stays close to the party for now. "I'll speed up everyone's movement next, so it's easier to close the gap!"


I'll move us into rounds as soon as I can - have a busy weekend. But I know this is a big scene!

Lantern Lodge

Female Elf Cleric 6 AC 21, 16, 16 | hp 66/66 | Fort +10, Ref +9, Will +11; +2 vs. enchantments, immune: sleep | Init +5 | darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision | Perc +18

I would say 18. I can shoot 3 per round, if Bran and me shoot, that would be 9 arrows for each equaling 3 rounds i guess. Hopefully enough...

Hamailii looks at the group and nods.
Desna can grant me magic to fly as well. I hope i can do something with these arrows...Once we are closer i have some other spells who can support us.

Looking at good hope and prayer there to cast on the group.


HP 50/82 - AC 27 (T16, F23, -3 shield hand, -2 Rage) - CMD 26 (+4 v. Grp, +2 v. Trp) - F+14, R+10, W +4 (+2 Fear) - Init +4 - Per +11 - LLV, DV 60' - Rage 15/15 - AR 5/7 - Flex 3/4 - Res Cold/Elec 5 - DR 1

I think I might fire no more than 1 full volley (2 + possibly Haste). I want to get in that thing's grill fast before it can cause a lot more damage. I am much more valuable grappling it in this kind of scenario than firing shots. Besides, I have arrow-recovery on my bow if I miss.


Loot Table Female Elf Rogue (Swashbuckler) 3 / Wizard (Thasillonian Conjurer) 3 | HP 57/57 | AC 27, T 17, FF 21 | CMD 20 | F+6 (twist away), R+11, W+8 (+9 vs fear, +10 vs ench.) | Init +8 | Perc +14 |

If we assume I purchased a second Scroll of Fly, then I can use it on Hamailii. Let's assume Tal'ariel purchased that scroll for 375 gp. Nevertheless, I also think that Hamailii can shoot okay on owlback, so I'm not sure it makes sense to use the scroll now.


Potion of Expeditious Retreat- 50
Potion of Fly - 750
Scroll of Fly - 375
12 +1 dragon-bane arrows (3 volleys for Hamailii, 1 for Bran) - 1,992
Total used so far: 3,167 out of 5,000

Initiative:

Tal'ariel: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22
Bran: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16
Hamailii: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
Gaius: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12
Trellara: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7
Dragon: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15

Round 1 - Dragon is 60' up, and 200' off the edge of the map.
Active spells: Communal Resist Energy
Tal'ariel
Bran

Dragon
Gaius (has already moved 60' towards dragon and drawn potion of Fly)
Hamailii
Trellara

You all can be on the ground or on owl-back as you choose.


Loot Table Female Elf Rogue (Swashbuckler) 3 / Wizard (Thasillonian Conjurer) 3 | HP 57/57 | AC 27, T 17, FF 21 | CMD 20 | F+6 (twist away), R+11, W+8 (+9 vs fear, +10 vs ench.) | Init +8 | Perc +14 |

"Everyone stick together for one more moment so I can speed up all your movement!"

Blackthorn, carrying Tal, flies to where Gaius is likely to go. Her intention is to cast Haste on the party when they get close enough together (within 30 feet of each other). But if she has to leave someone out, she will reluctantly do so to get the spell off this round.

Lantern Lodge

Female Elf Cleric 6 AC 21, 16, 16 | hp 66/66 | Fort +10, Ref +9, Will +11; +2 vs. enchantments, immune: sleep | Init +5 | darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision | Perc +18

Hamailii has 1 fly spell herself and could possibly cast another one. might make sense to keep that though for later. Is everyone allright with the arrows? They are quite expensive.

Hamailii nods to Tal'ariel and keeps her owl Startail in proximity of the elven rogue wizard.


HP 50/82 - AC 27 (T16, F23, -3 shield hand, -2 Rage) - CMD 26 (+4 v. Grp, +2 v. Trp) - F+14, R+10, W +4 (+2 Fear) - Init +4 - Per +11 - LLV, DV 60' - Rage 15/15 - AR 5/7 - Flex 3/4 - Res Cold/Elec 5 - DR 1

Back, sorry about that!

Bran nods to Tal'ariel and faces the dragon high in the sky.

"Come down and face me! I am Bran O'Dimm, dragonslayer, chain-breaker and one of the heroes of Brindol! I have slain many of your kind already and I wish to add you to my legend!" He pulls the bow out, "Die in a blaze of glory, or die at four hundred paces to my arrows like the cowardly lizard you are! Make your choice!"

He issues a loud challenge to the dragon before launching his first arrow.

Dragonbane Arrow: 1d20 + 11 + 1 - 2 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 11 + 1 - 2 + 2 = 18 +1 Haste? -2 Second increment. +2 Bane. I'm not sure if Tal has done Haste yet, if so I'll try to move upward and diagonal a little and draw as a part of the move. In which case I might be in the first increment with Fly 60 and Haste +30.

Damage: 1d8 + 5 + 2 + 2d6 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 5 + 2 + (1, 4) + 1 = 21 Arrow returns to my quiver on miss correct?


Tal'ariel moves up and prepares to cast Haste.

Bran moves up and fires an arrow, which bounces off the dragon's hide. It appears back in his quiver.

The dragon wheels about and prepares to strafe the ground again.

From far above, its mocking cries echo down to Bran.
"Such a rush to die, little ape?"

Hamailii moves up on Startail.
Trellara moves up on Sprite and begins singing a battle song.

Once everybody is in place, Tal'ariel casts Haste. This catches all the PCs, and either Trellara or an owl (CL5).

Round 1/Round 2 - Dragon is 60' up, and 200' off the edge of the map.
Active spells: Communal Resist Energy, Haste, Inspire Courage +2
Dragon
Trellara
Gaius (potion of Fly in hand)
Hamailii (owl has moved, Hamailii still has actions)

--
Tal'ariel
Bran (10' up?)


Flame:
HP: 42/42 | AC 14 |+9, d6+3
| Male Half-Elf HP: 56/84 | AC: 25 (t:17, ff:20) | CMB: 10, CMD: 24 | F: +9, R: +10, W: +5 | Init: +7 | Perc: +12 | Speed 30ft | Katana: +12/+12/+7/+7, d8+8, 15-20x2. | Active: Jacket - Ex Retreat, Fly, Haste, IC

Gaius quaffs his potion and speeds into the air, his massively magically enhanced speed giving him a jumping start that even some birds would envy! Flame stays on the ground.

Plan is to gain enough height to be above the dragon and hopefully trap it between myself and Bran if/when it attacks hi.


HP 50/82 - AC 27 (T16, F23, -3 shield hand, -2 Rage) - CMD 26 (+4 v. Grp, +2 v. Trp) - F+14, R+10, W +4 (+2 Fear) - Init +4 - Per +11 - LLV, DV 60' - Rage 15/15 - AR 5/7 - Flex 3/4 - Res Cold/Elec 5 - DR 1

Bran shakes his head then moves however much he can, the flight making him wobbly before firing a shot. He had to cover the distance but knew rushing in headfirst would be suicide.

Fly at a 45: 1d20 + 4 + 4 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 4 + 4 + 3 = 28 +4 Good, +4 Dex, +3 1/2 CL
Longbow: 1d20 + 11 + 1 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 11 + 1 + 2 + 2 = 28 Haste, Bane, Inspire
Damage?: 1d8 + 5 + 2 + 2 + 2d6 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 5 + 2 + 2 + (1, 6) + 1 = 24 +4 Strength, +3 Enhancement, +2d6 Bane, +2 Inspire, +1 Challenge

"I can needle you all night with magic arrows."

Moving 90 at a 45 with Fly. Should end up around there and 60-70 feet up ish?


Loot Table Female Elf Rogue (Swashbuckler) 3 / Wizard (Thasillonian Conjurer) 3 | HP 57/57 | AC 27, T 17, FF 21 | CMD 20 | F+6 (twist away), R+11, W+8 (+9 vs fear, +10 vs ench.) | Init +8 | Perc +14 |

Haste on Blackthorn instead of myself. Haste on Trellara or her owl as she seems to prefer.

While Blackthorn stays close to Bran, Tal'ariel begins to cast another spell. This onetakes a little longer to complete, however.

Casting Enlarge Person on Bran. Takes a round to complete.


Bran's arrow is bearing down on the dragon's neck... and is deflected by an unseen force. It appears back in his quiver.
So, this guy has a crazy AC in the original, but a mediocre CMD. I have adjusted his spells to make his AC not quite so stratospheric, but his CMD a bit tougher. Just to make your usual tactic not the only one that has any chance at all of working... not to make it impossible, though.

Gaius double moves, gaining 90' of altitude.

@Bran - ascending is at half speed, so your single move of 90 becomes 45 while ascending. It's not quite Pythagorean.

Tal'ariel starts casting a spell.

Trellara takes the Haste on her owl. She mostly deals in standard actions that Haste does not help.

Hamailii is up!

Lantern Lodge

Female Elf Cleric 6 AC 21, 16, 16 | hp 66/66 | Fort +10, Ref +9, Will +11; +2 vs. enchantments, immune: sleep | Init +5 | darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision | Perc +18

Well, the dragon is still a bit too far for reliable shots so time for good hope.

Hamailii calls out to Desna in a mix of chanting prayers and sung magical praise. You all instantly feel warmth and confidence in your hearts.


Bran is at 45' height, Gaius is at 90', and Flame on the ground. Got it.

The rest of you flying near ground level.

The dragon moves towards you.
Trellara draws her bow and takes a shot at the dragon.
Attack, IC, Good Hope: 1d20 + 7 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 7 + 2 + 2 = 20
Not surprisingly, it misses.

Round 2/Round 3 - Dragon is 60' up, and where it is represented on map.
Active spells: Communal Resist Energy, Haste, Inspire Courage +2
Dragon
Trellara
Gaius (90' up)
Hamailii
--
Tal'ariel
Bran (45' up)


Flame:
HP: 42/42 | AC 14 |+9, d6+3
| Male Half-Elf HP: 56/84 | AC: 25 (t:17, ff:20) | CMB: 10, CMD: 24 | F: +9, R: +10, W: +5 | Init: +7 | Perc: +12 | Speed 30ft | Katana: +12/+12/+7/+7, d8+8, 15-20x2. | Active: Jacket - Ex Retreat, Fly, Haste, IC

Gaius gains a little more height and then simply hovers, trying to judge the dragons path so that he can catch it between himself and Bran.


Loot Table Female Elf Rogue (Swashbuckler) 3 / Wizard (Thasillonian Conjurer) 3 | HP 57/57 | AC 27, T 17, FF 21 | CMD 20 | F+6 (twist away), R+11, W+8 (+9 vs fear, +10 vs ench.) | Init +8 | Perc +14 |

Tal'ariel's spell is completed, and Bran becomes a fair bit larger!

I took the liberty of making him larger on the map.

"Here we go!" she says. While Blackthorn scoots close to Bran, Tal'ariel launches her first offensive spell, sending a cloud of glitter into the path of the dragon!

Glitterdust. Will DC16 or blinded, usual Glitterdust benefits. I'd like to be at rooftop level if that's possible.


Will: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (10) + 12 = 22 No.
So far that is 2 Grease, 2 Glitterdust, 2 Haste, 1 Enlarge Person, and 1 Stinking Cloud? No problem moving to 20' height.
@Bran... you are at 45' height, and it is at 60'... but you are 12' tall with 10' reach... okay, you can charge the dragon.


Loot Table Female Elf Rogue (Swashbuckler) 3 / Wizard (Thasillonian Conjurer) 3 | HP 57/57 | AC 27, T 17, FF 21 | CMD 20 | F+6 (twist away), R+11, W+8 (+9 vs fear, +10 vs ench.) | Init +8 | Perc +14 |

@Zelligar--yes. I left off a Glitterdust, which I've now updated.


HP 50/82 - AC 27 (T16, F23, -3 shield hand, -2 Rage) - CMD 26 (+4 v. Grp, +2 v. Trp) - F+14, R+10, W +4 (+2 Fear) - Init +4 - Per +11 - LLV, DV 60' - Rage 15/15 - AR 5/7 - Flex 3/4 - Res Cold/Elec 5 - DR 1

Bran grows in size and looks at the dragon dead set, "We're done waiting."

Trying to get his footing in the air he goes to storm the dragon's air space.

Fly at 45: 1d20 + 4 + 3 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 4 + 3 + 3 = 23

Charge, Apprehend: 1d20 + 15 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 15 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 1 = 28 +15, +1 Enlarge, +2 Charge Attack, +2 Courage, +1 Haste

No Rage yet until the -2 from Charge wears off because I don't want to melt entirely to the AoO and full round if this fails, which it seems to be.

Current AC: 23 (-2 Size, Dex, -2 Charge)


Botting Hamailii so as to not mess up the initiative order - if I had her delay she'd effectively miss a turn due to a readied action. Also, I realized that targets of Good Hope have to be within 30' of each other, so with a bit of positioning Hamailii could have hit most of you, but not Gaius. Who was well out of range before that took effect.
Hamailii unloads on the dragon before Bran charges in. Two arrows hit.
Longbow, Dragon-bane Arrow, Good Hope, IC, Haste: 1d20 + 8 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 8 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 2 = 33
Damage, Bane, Good Hope, IC: 1d8 + 2 + 2 + 2d6 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 2 + 2 + (5, 2) + 2 + 1 = 22

Rapid Shot, Dragon-bane Arrow, Good Hope, IC, Haste: 1d20 + 8 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 8 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 2 = 24

Haste, Dragon-bane Arrow, Good Hope, IC, Haste: 1d20 + 8 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 8 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 1 = 35
Confirm?: 1d20 + 8 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 8 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 1 = 17
Damage, Bane, Good Hope, IC: 1d8 + 2 + 2 + 2d6 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 2 + 2 + (3, 3) + 2 + 1 = 20

Bran charges in, and the dragon is waiting.
Readied Improved Vital Strike, PA: 1d20 + 20 - 4 ⇒ (16) + 20 - 4 = 32
Damage: 6d6 + 12 + 12 ⇒ (1, 3, 5, 5, 2, 5) + 12 + 12 = 45
Its massive jaws bite deeply into Bran.
No AOO, since you have 10' reach, but it took a single 200' move and a standard to ready last round.

Bran powers through the pain and tries to grapple the dragon, but fails to gain a hold.

Even with the +2 from Good Hope, which I think you didn't include, that still doesn't beat the CMD.

The dragon had a readied action that changes its place in initiative. That means Gaius, Trellara and Tal'ariel will get to go before it does again. But not Bran. The readied attack happened immediately before his grapple attempt.

Trellara flies up, dangerously close to the dragon. She leans over her owl and casts Vanish on Bran. Concentration: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19

Round 3/4 - Dragon is 60' up, and where it is represented on map.
Active spells: Communal Resist Energy, Haste, Inspire Courage +2, Good Hope (except on Gaius)

Trellara
Gaius (90' up)
Hamailii (20' up)
Tal'ariel (20' up)

Dragon -44 (60' up)
Bran -45, Invisible (60' up)


Flame:
HP: 42/42 | AC 14 |+9, d6+3
| Male Half-Elf HP: 56/84 | AC: 25 (t:17, ff:20) | CMB: 10, CMD: 24 | F: +9, R: +10, W: +5 | Init: +7 | Perc: +12 | Speed 30ft | Katana: +12/+12/+7/+7, d8+8, 15-20x2. | Active: Jacket - Ex Retreat, Fly, Haste, IC

Gaius goes charging in from above the dragon, counting a massive flying predator not expecting to be attacked from above.

Charge: 1d20 + 14 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 14 + 2 + 1 = 25 Damage: 1d8 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12


Gaius's swords fail to penetrate the dragon's hide. You should have +2 charge, +2 Inspire Courage, +1 Haste, and +1 Higher Ground, so 3 more than what you had, but even so that is a miss.


Loot Table Female Elf Rogue (Swashbuckler) 3 / Wizard (Thasillonian Conjurer) 3 | HP 57/57 | AC 27, T 17, FF 21 | CMD 20 | F+6 (twist away), R+11, W+8 (+9 vs fear, +10 vs ench.) | Init +8 | Perc +14 |

Wow, damn, that is crazy damage.

Tal'ariel regrets not getting some bane arrows now, but it's too late to do anything about that failing. Blackthorn flies a little higher, while Tal'ariel desperately conjures a Stinking Cloud atop the dragon. I'd like to get to 60' if that's possible, a little less is fine.

Casting Stinking Cloud. Fort DC 17 or nauseated for 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5 rounds.


Fort: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (6) + 13 = 19
60' altitude is fine.

Lantern Lodge

Female Elf Cleric 6 AC 21, 16, 16 | hp 66/66 | Fort +10, Ref +9, Will +11; +2 vs. enchantments, immune: sleep | Init +5 | darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision | Perc +18

Hamailii guides her owl to branch out, so a single blast of dragonfire won't hit them all, then she begins to call to Desna for a spell, dispelling the magic powering the dragon.

Dispel Magic: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24

You can hear a magical song as she traces runes and lines into the air, leaving star-sparkling after images.


which spell?: 1d2 ⇒ 1

Hamailii's spell unravels some of the dragon's protections.

It lets out a blast of fire that catches Trellara, her owl (Sprite), and Bran. (I think Tal'ariel and Blackthorn are too low to catch, but 3-D geometry is annoying in RPGs).

Fire Damage: 8d10 ⇒ (1, 5, 3, 3, 4, 1, 2, 7) = 26 DC 22 Reflex Save for half
Trellara Reflex: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14 Resist Energy blocks all but 6 damage.
Sprite Reflex, Haste: 1d20 + 7 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 7 + 1 = 22 Made it exactly - not under the Communal Resist Energy, so takes 13.
Bran Reflex, Haste, Good Hope: 1d20 + 10 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 10 + 1 + 2 = 24 No damage

The dragon is rather surprised by how little impact his attack had on the feeble elf bard, and makes a tactical repositioning.
Single move, 100' because ascending; dragon is now 160' up. Bran and Gaius can take AOOs.

Round 4/5 - Dragon is 160' up, and where it is represented on map.
Active spells: Communal Resist Energy, Haste, Inspire Courage +2, Good Hope (except on Gaius)

Bran -45, Invisible (60' up) - has AOO
Trellara -6 (owl -13)
Gaius (70' up) - has AOO
Hamailii (20' up)
Tal'ariel (20' up)

Dragon -44 (160' up)


Loot Table Female Elf Rogue (Swashbuckler) 3 / Wizard (Thasillonian Conjurer) 3 | HP 57/57 | AC 27, T 17, FF 21 | CMD 20 | F+6 (twist away), R+11, W+8 (+9 vs fear, +10 vs ench.) | Init +8 | Perc +14 |

I moved myself to a height of 60' last round, so I'll make the saves.
Reflex Tal, Good Hope: 1d20 + 11 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 11 + 2 = 31 Evasion so no damage.
Reflex Blackthorn, Haste: 1d20 + 7 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 7 + 1 = 24 Takes 13 damage?

I want to see what happens with the AOOs before acting.


HP 50/82 - AC 27 (T16, F23, -3 shield hand, -2 Rage) - CMD 26 (+4 v. Grp, +2 v. Trp) - F+14, R+10, W +4 (+2 Fear) - Init +4 - Per +11 - LLV, DV 60' - Rage 15/15 - AR 5/7 - Flex 3/4 - Res Cold/Elec 5 - DR 1

Bran uses discretion and actually withholds trying to land a simple punch on the dragon, It won't be enough, I need to get in there and stay in.

He uses the invisibility to move as close to the dragon as he can rushing through the air, hoping he can maneuver the air and not smash into a stray tail.

Fly: 1d20 + 3 + 4 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 + 4 + 3 = 21 Phew!

The vigor of being able to manage the flight sends him back into the groove, Got to make that opening for them.

Charge! Apprehend!: 1d20 + 15 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 15 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 1 + 2 = 41 Assuming I can, otherwise I'll move in as close as I can with the Vanish. I think this is the right play so Gauis, Tal and the Owls can get in without getting snapped at as he can't threaten for the turn. I'll probably eat a Vital Strike unless you can group and threaten it too and force it to go for me or break the hold; but we might both fall. Another Vanish could do the trick actually and give noticeable concealment.

Resisting the urge to Rage for the extra Health, healing and damage, I think the -2 AC makes too much of a difference here. I'll be gone for a day or so so I didn't want us all sitting here on AoOs and stuff.


Flame:
HP: 42/42 | AC 14 |+9, d6+3
| Male Half-Elf HP: 56/84 | AC: 25 (t:17, ff:20) | CMB: 10, CMD: 24 | F: +9, R: +10, W: +5 | Init: +7 | Perc: +12 | Speed 30ft | Katana: +12/+12/+7/+7, d8+8, 15-20x2. | Active: Jacket - Ex Retreat, Fly, Haste, IC

Gaius slices hard at the dragons wing joint as it goes.

AOO: 1d20 + 14 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 14 + 2 + 1 = 34 Damage: 1d8 + 8 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 8 + 2 = 13
Crit?: 1d20 + 14 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 14 + 2 + 1 = 18 Damage: 1d8 + 8 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 8 + 2 = 15

Then, impelled by the magic lifting him, he shoots upwards like a rocket, approaching fast from underneath to jab at the dragon's less protected belly.

Attack!: 1d20 + 14 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 14 + 2 + 1 = 36 Damage: 1d8 + 8 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 8 + 2 = 15
Crit?: 1d20 + 14 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 14 + 2 + 1 = 31 Damage: 1d8 + 8 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 8 + 2 = 13


Loot Table Female Elf Rogue (Swashbuckler) 3 / Wizard (Thasillonian Conjurer) 3 | HP 57/57 | AC 27, T 17, FF 21 | CMD 20 | F+6 (twist away), R+11, W+8 (+9 vs fear, +10 vs ench.) | Init +8 | Perc +14 |

As Bran appears to tangle with the dragon, Blackthorn and Tal'ariel decide it's time to strike. Blackthorn charges, and Tal'ariel attacks. Flying 180 feet, so hopefully that's in range.

Blackthorn Charge, Haste: 1d20 + 9 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 9 + 2 + 1 = 15; Damage: 2d6 + 5 ⇒ (5, 1) + 5 = 11
Tal'ariel Charge, Good Hope: 1d20 + 9 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 9 + 2 + 2 = 16; Damage: 1d10 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17

Unfortunately, the charge is utterly ineffective.

Note: If any ally falls for some reason, Tal'ariel uses Feather Fall.


Gaius's strike hits the dragon as it repositions. 57 damage to dragon so far.

So here's the thing, everybody - you can't charge up while flying. At least, as well as I understand it and have always heard it ruled. Because you ascend at half speed, it is 'something hindering your movement'. It's one of the things that makes high ground actually a real advantage. Likewise, you can't charge running uphill.
Now, I allowed Bran's prior charge because with his reach and height he didn't have to ascend to reach the dragon. But here it is 100' above you.
Bran and Gaius could both double move to get within 10' of the dragon, but cannot charge it. Or they could ascend to get basically on its level (but not within full-attack range) and prepare to charge it next round depending on what it does.
I hate to negate your good rolls, but Hamailii did just drop its AC by 4. I will let you all reconsider your actions in light of this ruling on Charge.
Dragons' speed is a massive advantage that can make them very annoying... but you are doing well so far.


Loot Table Female Elf Rogue (Swashbuckler) 3 / Wizard (Thasillonian Conjurer) 3 | HP 57/57 | AC 27, T 17, FF 21 | CMD 20 | F+6 (twist away), R+11, W+8 (+9 vs fear, +10 vs ench.) | Init +8 | Perc +14 |

Negating Tal'ariel's rolls certainly makes no difference.

Blackthorn and Tal'ariel try to gain elevation, while hopefully staying close enough to her allies to protect them from falls.

Tal'ariel uses magic to protect Blackthorn from further breath attacks. Cast Resist Energy.
Concentration: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18


Trellara will heal Bran. She would have re-upped his Vanish if he had taken the AOO, but since he didn't, she'll do this. She doesn't have a ton of spell slots but this seems fairly important.
CLW: 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12


Flame:
HP: 42/42 | AC 14 |+9, d6+3
| Male Half-Elf HP: 56/84 | AC: 25 (t:17, ff:20) | CMB: 10, CMD: 24 | F: +9, R: +10, W: +5 | Init: +7 | Perc: +12 | Speed 30ft | Katana: +12/+12/+7/+7, d8+8, 15-20x2. | Active: Jacket - Ex Retreat, Fly, Haste, IC

Move without attacking then. I'd prefer it came close enough to swing at properly anyway!


HP 50/82 - AC 27 (T16, F23, -3 shield hand, -2 Rage) - CMD 26 (+4 v. Grp, +2 v. Trp) - F+14, R+10, W +4 (+2 Fear) - Init +4 - Per +11 - LLV, DV 60' - Rage 15/15 - AR 5/7 - Flex 3/4 - Res Cold/Elec 5 - DR 1

Double move in invisibly. Hope to set up a Hammer attack next round . So with Haste, Fast Movement and Fly I normally move 100 so I can ascend at 50 and double move that to 100 correct?


Both Bran and Gaius move to within 10' of the dragon.

Botting Hamailii
Hamailii fires three more arrows.
Longbow, Dragon-bane Arrow, Good Hope, IC, Haste, 2nd range increment: 1d20 + 8 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 1 - 2 ⇒ (15) + 8 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 1 - 2 = 28
Damage, Bane, Good Hope, IC: 1d8 + 2 + 2 + 2d6 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 + 2 + (5, 1) + 2 + 2 = 16
Longbow, Dragon-bane Arrow, Good Hope, IC, Haste, 2nd range increment: 1d20 + 8 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 1 - 2 ⇒ (19) + 8 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 1 - 2 = 32
Damage, Bane, Good Hope, IC: 1d8 + 2 + 2 + 2d6 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 + 2 + (2, 6) + 2 + 2 = 21
Longbow, Dragon-bane Arrow, Good Hope, IC, Haste, 2nd range increment: 1d20 + 8 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 1 - 2 ⇒ (17) + 8 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 1 - 2 = 30
Damage, Bane, Good Hope, IC: 1d8 + 2 + 2 + 2d6 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 + 2 + (3, 6) + 2 + 2 = 24

With the removal of some of the dragon's protective spells, all three arrows hit. 118 damage to dragon.

Now in real trouble from the archer, the dragon flies down and attacks Hamailii.
This movement provokes an AOO from Bran (who is invisible and has 10' reach) but not Gaius.

Improved Vital Strike, Higher Ground, PA: 1d20 + 20 + 1 - 4 ⇒ (13) + 20 + 1 - 4 = 30
Damage: 6d6 + 12 + 12 ⇒ (4, 3, 1, 3, 2, 4) + 12 + 12 = 41

The massive jaws bite deeply into the cleric, and despite her protective magic she feels the searing heat of the red dragon.

"Hamailii! Do you want to Vanish?" shouts Trellara.

Round 5/6
Active spells: Communal Resist Energy, Haste, Inspire Courage +2, Good Hope (except on Gaius)
Bran -33, Invisible (150' up) - has AOO
Trellara -6 (owl -13)
Gaius (150' up) - has AOO
Hamailii (20' up)
--
Tal'ariel (20' up) -41

Dragon -118 (25' up)

Bran and Gaius have Haste and move at double speed while descending, so both can charge the dragon. Haste expires after Tal'ariel's turn, I think.


Flame:
HP: 42/42 | AC 14 |+9, d6+3
| Male Half-Elf HP: 56/84 | AC: 25 (t:17, ff:20) | CMB: 10, CMD: 24 | F: +9, R: +10, W: +5 | Init: +7 | Perc: +12 | Speed 30ft | Katana: +12/+12/+7/+7, d8+8, 15-20x2. | Active: Jacket - Ex Retreat, Fly, Haste, IC

Charge!: 1d20 + 12 + 2 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 12 + 2 + 1 + 2 = 36 Damage: 1d8 + 8 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 8 + 2 = 17
Crit?: 1d20 + 12 + 2 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 12 + 2 + 1 + 2 = 36 Damage: 1d8 + 8 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 8 + 2 = 11

Gaius pursues at speed and again drives his sword deep into the dragon's wing joint.


As Gaius rushes in, the dragon's neck whips around.
No facing in PF and it has 10' reach with the bite...
AOO, PA: 1d20 + 20 - 4 ⇒ (19) + 20 - 4 = 35
Bite, PA: 2d6 + 12 + 12 ⇒ (3, 1) + 12 + 12 = 28

Gaius is wounded, but his swords hit home, stabbing into the dragon's lungs. 28 damage to Gaius. Dragon at -146 damage and very badly hurt.


Loot Table Female Elf Rogue (Swashbuckler) 3 / Wizard (Thasillonian Conjurer) 3 | HP 57/57 | AC 27, T 17, FF 21 | CMD 20 | F+6 (twist away), R+11, W+8 (+9 vs fear, +10 vs ench.) | Init +8 | Perc +14 |

Seeing that the dragon was badly hurt, Tal'ariel decides that she and Blackthorn should try piling on to attack the dragon.

Climbing to 30', and attacking. Really hoping the dragon doesn't have combat reflexes.

Curve Blade, Inspire Courage, Good Hope: 1d20 + 9 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 9 + 2 + 2 = 23; Damage, Good Hope, Inspire Courage: 1d10 + 8 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 8 + 2 + 2 = 17
Claw, Inspire Courage, Haste: 1d20 + 9 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 9 + 2 + 1 = 20; Damage: 2d6 + 5 ⇒ (2, 3) + 5 = 10


HP 50/82 - AC 27 (T16, F23, -3 shield hand, -2 Rage) - CMD 26 (+4 v. Grp, +2 v. Trp) - F+14, R+10, W +4 (+2 Fear) - Init +4 - Per +11 - LLV, DV 60' - Rage 15/15 - AR 5/7 - Flex 3/4 - Res Cold/Elec 5 - DR 1

AoO: 1d20 + 11 + 2 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 11 + 2 + 2 + 1 = 24
Damage: 1d4 + 5 + 2 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 5 + 2 + 2 + 1 = 14

Bran launches a fist from invisibility and then uses the opportunity provided by Gaius to move in.

Charge: 1d20 + 11 + 2 + 2 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 11 + 2 + 2 + 1 + 2 = 21
Damage: 1d4 + 5 + 2 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 5 + 2 + 2 + 1 = 13


Tal'ariel and Blackthorn both miss. Its AC is 27 at the moment.
Bran, however, is attacking from invisibility; additional +2 to hit and it goes against flat-footed AC. So the AOO connects! Dragon has taken 160 damage.

Hamailii is up. By the fact that it didn't get an AOO on Tal'ariel as she charged in, you can probably assume that it doesn't have Combat Reflexes and you would be safe firing within its reach.

2,801 to 2,850 of 2,862 << first < prev | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Red Hand of Doom - E6 All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.