Mothman's Adventures in Darkmoon Vale game

Game Master Mothman

Adventures in Darkmoon Vale


301 to 350 of 2,488 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>

Female Human Witch 1 AC 13 HP 8

Anor performs a coup de grace on the fallen razorclaw in front of her, then scans the trees for the archer.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7

Map


Anor wrote:

Anor performs a coup de grace on the fallen razorclaw in front of her, then scans the trees for the archer.

[dice=Perception]1d20+6

Map

I'll wait to see if Adalwin wanted to change his action or not - there's a chance the bird is already dead.


Initiative Table
Razorcrows: 18
Reekis: 16
Anor: 15+
Eljoy: 15
Archer: 14
Jasper: 11+
Adalwin: 11
Oliver: 10


Male Human Fighter / 2

Ok scratch the last post

Adalwin starts towards Anor, but then see's the bird drop to the ground. Belatedly hearing Eljoy's call he turns and runs after the axeman, taking cover in the trees and peering around for the hidden bowman.

Adalwin runs to U8. Perception 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21


halfling tattooed sorcerer (orc) 2 |AC 13, FF 13, T 11, CMD 9; F 1 R 3 W 6, +2 vs fear; hp 4/10; init +2; perc +10, +12 w/ familiar, +15 sight-based in shadows w/ familar

Jasper grins fiercely - a far different expressions than anyone has noticed him wear - at the defeat of the vile birds.


Anor crushes the unconscious razorcrows underfoot.

Eljoy.


Adalwin:
You spy a burly figure holding a bow, partly concealed by overhanging foliage, standing on a broad branch about 12 feet above the ground in V6.

Sovereign Court

Male Human (Andoran); Percept +0, Sense Motive +0; Init +1 ; AC 18 T 12 FF 16; F 6, R 3, W 0 (+2 v emotion spell and effect); HP 28/28

Eljoy pitches his ax behind him and grabs for the broad-bladed knife at his belt. He draws back and hurls it at the bowman.

Drop ax. draw dagger, throw.
Thrown dagger v bowman: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7 .... damage: 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5


Eljoy’s thrown dagger flies wide and sticks, quivering, in a branch by the archer’s foot.

The archer up in the tree slings his bow, then quickly shimmies down the tree trunk, dropping the last few feet to the ground.

Eljoy and Adalwin can see their foe is a tall, broad shouldered grey skinned humanoid male. He wears foresters garb and has a sheathed sword at his belt in addition to the bow. His features are inhuman, with pointed ears, large eyes, a flat nose, sharp but crooked yellow teeth, a hairless pate and a scraggly black beard. He snarls at Eljoy.

He's in W7.


Jasper.


halfling tattooed sorcerer (orc) 2 |AC 13, FF 13, T 11, CMD 9; F 1 R 3 W 6, +2 vs fear; hp 4/10; init +2; perc +10, +12 w/ familiar, +15 sight-based in shadows w/ familar

Confident that the people most likely be able to handle the archer are on the job, Jasper moves to free the poor fox. Can he tell what must be done? If he cannot open the jaws, he will conjure acid via acid splash to eat away at the spring mechanism.


Male Human Fighter / 2

Adalwin is about to go for his bow when he sees the creature leave the safety of the tree. Shaking with adrenaline, the boy screams an in-articulate war cry as he leaps to the attack, leading with his large blade.

attack 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24
confirm critical 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21
Damage 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7
Damage 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8

wow thats 3 19's in a row ... is this broken?


Jasper Eleventoes wrote:
Confident that the people most likely be able to handle the archer are on the job, Jasper moves to free the poor fox. Can he tell what must be done? If he cannot open the jaws, he will conjure acid via acid splash to eat away at the spring mechanism.

It looks like the trap takes brute strength rather than finesse to open … but a splash of acid is able to weaken the spring enough to make it easy to open. The fox writhes and yelps, then mewls piteously, it’s hind-quarters seriously damaged by the traps cruel jaws.


I assume Adalwin moves forward to a square where he can reach the enemy.
I meant to tell you to keep your earlier roll, but this one looks just as good.

Adalwin leaps over gnarled roots and stands of ferns to reach his foe, swinging his hand-and-a-half sword easily and accurately with one hand. The blade cuts through the humanoid’s studded leather armour with ease, blood gouts, and the grey-skinned hunter staggers back, cursing in some strange language.


Oliver.


Female Human Witch 1 AC 13 HP 8

"Jasper, look after the fox until this is done, I may be able to help her."


halfling tattooed sorcerer (orc) 2 |AC 13, FF 13, T 11, CMD 9; F 1 R 3 W 6, +2 vs fear; hp 4/10; init +2; perc +10, +12 w/ familiar, +15 sight-based in shadows w/ familar

The little fellow might be ugly as ugly comes, but his heart is kind. He tries to comfort the stricken animal while the others deal with the man from the tree. He beams when his friend strikes true, but does not yell encouragement to avoid frightening the poor animal further.

Handle Animal: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18 Untrained; I don't know if the skill allows a 'partial effect' like an untrained knowledge would. Maybe it should be heal instead, which would be an 18 instead using that die roll.


Male Half-elf Oracle 1 (AC: 17 [T: 13 /FF: 14]; HP: 17/17; F+3, R+5, W+6 (+3 more with Taint); Init: -1; Perc: +7 [Low-light vision])

Handle Animal can be used untrained for two of the listed book uses. To 'handle' an animal with a trick it knows (move action), or 'push' an animal to do a trick it doesn't know (full-round action).

Oliver looks off to the distance between himself and the fight, as well as the number of others already near enough to take the fight to their ambusher. He hobbles up to Jasper and the injured animal, adding a wheezed "Nice work on those birds." to the little one. Grasping his spear near the head, he uses the point to try and offer him a hold, while he sets to trying to pry the trap itself open.

Move, to K6
Standard, Str check to open trap 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20


Male Human Fighter / 2

Sorry, preferably move to W8 if possible for potential flanking with Eljoy


halfling tattooed sorcerer (orc) 2 |AC 13, FF 13, T 11, CMD 9; F 1 R 3 W 6, +2 vs fear; hp 4/10; init +2; perc +10, +12 w/ familiar, +15 sight-based in shadows w/ familar

STR check aid: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (8) - 2 = 6

Sovereign Court

Male Human (Andoran); Percept +0, Sense Motive +0; Init +1 ; AC 18 T 12 FF 16; F 6, R 3, W 0 (+2 v emotion spell and effect); HP 28/28

Reekis runs forward until he has a line of fire. He raises his crossbow to his shoulder and snaps off a shot.

Crossbow: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18 ... Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 5

Move to Q6. Crossbow v H.

Sovereign Court

Male Human (Andoran); Percept +0, Sense Motive +0; Init +1 ; AC 18 T 12 FF 16; F 6, R 3, W 0 (+2 v emotion spell and effect); HP 28/28

Eljoy glances at the axe at his feet. No time. He moves left and forward behind his shield then sweeps his arm to add to the momentum and drive the edge at his foe's throat.

Move to W or X6 to flank.

Shield bash, flank: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 5 + 2 = 14 ... damage: 1d3 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7


Jasper, that seems a lot of actions in a round; move, acid splash, handle animal, aid another ...

Between Jasper's cantrip and Oliver forcing apart the mechanism, the two are able to free the fox. The animal is obviously terrified and in pain, but is too badly hurt to flee.


Reekis is firing into combat, so he takes -4 on the attack roll. There is also a miss chance for partial concealment amongst the trees beyond 10 feet. 1d100 ⇒ 92


Reekis' has trouble lining up a target as Adalwin hacks at the hunter. He waits for his moment, trying to adjust for the dappled pattern of light and shadows under the trees. His finger tightens on the crossbow's trigger, and his bolt flies true, hitting the humanoid in the midriff, punching through layers of leather and cloth. The humanoid screams. A moment later. Eljoy hustles into the fray, punching the edge of his shield up into his opponent's unprotected throat. The hunter gives a gurgled cry, reels, and drops to the ground, dead or dying.

End of combat.


halfling tattooed sorcerer (orc) 2 |AC 13, FF 13, T 11, CMD 9; F 1 R 3 W 6, +2 vs fear; hp 4/10; init +2; perc +10, +12 w/ familiar, +15 sight-based in shadows w/ familar
DM Mothman wrote:

Jasper, that seems a lot of actions in a round; move, acid splash, handle animal, aid another ...

Between Jasper's cantrip and Oliver forcing apart the mechanism, the two are able to free the fox. The animal is obviously terrified and in pain, but is too badly hurt to flee.

True. Move and acid splash, then actions for later. (He's trying to compensate, sorry.)


Female Human Witch 1 AC 13 HP 8

"Is anyone injured badly? I have some little healing magic. If not, let's see to this fox."

"Oh, someone should probably check that guy out and see what he was about, attacking us like that."

Sovereign Court

Male Human (Andoran); Percept +0, Sense Motive +0; Init +1 ; AC 18 T 12 FF 16; F 6, R 3, W 0 (+2 v emotion spell and effect); HP 28/28

"F&!+ing grey-skinned goonie." Eljoy spits and nudges their foe in the head with an incautious toe. He looks up into the tree then back down at the forester.

"Reekis, Ady. Give me a knife."

Mothman:
Pretty sure I've meta-gamed that he's a hobgoblin. Given the Eljoy picked up his taste for Ironbloom mushrooms during a campaign 'goblin fighting in the 5 kings,' can ELjoy ID him?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human Fighter / 2

Adalwin slowly lowers his blade and shield, breathing hard, staring at the humanoid he just had a hand in killing. The Adrenaline of the fight seems to leave his body all at once and a wave of dizziness sweeps over the young fighter. Adalwin catches a whiff of the scent of blood and bowels that sends his stomach heaving. He stumbles forward a step and looses his breakfast all over Eljoy's boots.

"I've never ... I mean I've hunted but ... never actually..."

Adalwin trails off as he retches again.

Sovereign Court

Male Human (Andoran); Percept +0, Sense Motive +0; Init +1 ; AC 18 T 12 FF 16; F 6, R 3, W 0 (+2 v emotion spell and effect); HP 28/28

Eljoy shuffles backward to avoid the vomit too slowly. He looks down at his green-spattered boots, then tries to dance back again to avoid the second wave.

"Ughmmm." He grabs the younger man by the shoulders and looks him in the face. "Cayden's balls, man. Hold it together. You did good and none of us are going to the Boneyard with him. You did good."

He gives Adalwin a gentle shake. "Go check on Anor and Jasper. I didn't see if they were hit." A slight push starts Adalwin in the right direction.

"Reekis. Give me a knife."

Reekis shakes his head. "I haven't got one."

Eljoy spits and scowls. "Well, I ain't gonna club him to death."

The big man turns and looks for his axe, but the anger that animated him moments ago has bled off. His movements are slower, and almost lethargic.

DM, tell me it's dead, please.


Yep, he's bled out in the few moments since Eljoy took him down.

Eljoy:
You've probably seen a hobgoblin before, perhaps even killed one or two. This is (or was) indeed a member of that species.


While Eljoy deals with the body of their assailant, Jasper, Anor and Oliver look to the injured fox.

Jasper, if you want to use your earlier Handle Animal check to try to calm it, you are welcome.


Nice RP from Adalwin and Eljoy there by the way.


halfling tattooed sorcerer (orc) 2 |AC 13, FF 13, T 11, CMD 9; F 1 R 3 W 6, +2 vs fear; hp 4/10; init +2; perc +10, +12 w/ familiar, +15 sight-based in shadows w/ familar

Jasper does indeed attempt to calm the animal. Untrained roll of 18 made earlier


Jasper Eleventoes wrote:
Jasper does indeed attempt to calm the animal. Untrained roll of 18 made earlier

This is a non-standard use of Handle Animal, but I can’t think of another skill that would better apply here. Wild Empathy would work, but I don’t think it makes sense that only this class ability works to help calm a panicked but generally helpless animal.

Jasper is not an expert at working with wild animals, but he has some experience with Shadow Wing and more recently Percival. He makes soothing noises and slow, calm motions, being careful not to further startle the fox, and staying clear of its muzzle and teeth. Soon the fox stops writhing and barking, and begins to whine piteously.


Male Human Fighter / 2
Eljoy Skinner wrote:

Eljoy shuffles backward to avoid the vomit too slowly. He looks down at his green-spattered boots, then tries to dance back again to avoid the second wave.

"Ughmmm." He grabs the younger man by the shoulders and looks him in the face. "Cayden's balls, man. Hold it together. You did good and none of us are going to the Boneyard with him. You did good."

He gives Adalwin a gentle shake. "Go check on Anor and Jasper. I didn't see if they were hit." A slight push starts Adalwin in the right direction.

Adalwin follows Eljoy's directions, starting a dazed walk back to the other half of the group. "Sorry bout your boots" He mumbles as he leaves the cover of the trees.

Adalwin stops a few feet shy of those tending the fox. Though his eyes are pointed in their direction, his ashen faced expression makes it clear that he is lost in thought, processing the encounter.


Female Human Witch 1 AC 13 HP 8

Anor moves to the fox, taking care not to ruin Jasper's work.

Heal: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10 How badly wounded is the animal?

Does anyone need healing? Anor is of a mind to blow her only cure light wounds spell of the day on this fox if everyone else is ok.....


Eljoy took 5 damage from an arrow, Jasper took 1 from the bird. The fox is badly hurt - magical healing will probably be needed to ensure it will be able to walk again.


Female Human Witch 1 AC 13 HP 8

Then someone needs to shout up or this fox gets the healing!


Anyone who has the relevant skills may make a Knowledge (nature) check in relation to the fox and a Knowledge (local) check in regards to the humanoid, should they so wish.


Male Half-elf Oracle 1 (AC: 17 [T: 13 /FF: 14]; HP: 17/17; F+3, R+5, W+6 (+3 more with Taint); Init: -1; Perc: +7 [Low-light vision])

Given his proximity to the animal, and Anor's questioning about healing, Oliver takes it upon himself to tend the animal's wounds as soon as Jasper manages to calm it. "I can offer some healing. I've been blessed to have the gift of it."

CLW on the fox 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6


Female Human Witch 1 AC 13 HP 8

Knowledge Nature: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21

Anor smiles at Oliver as he takes over. "I'll keep my spell in case we need it later then." With the fox recovering a little, she walks over to look at their assailant.

Knowledge Local: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24

Sovereign Court

Male Human (Andoran); Percept +0, Sense Motive +0; Init +1 ; AC 18 T 12 FF 16; F 6, R 3, W 0 (+2 v emotion spell and effect); HP 28/28

"Don't worry about the boots. They'll clean up," ELjoy grumbles.

Eljoy retrieves his ax and returns to the tree. He stares at the knife embedded in the branch above. "Damn it all. Now I've got to climb up after it."

He shucks off his shield, then reaches up, grasps a branch, and just begins to haul himself up.

"SON OF A B%%*#!" The fighter drops back to earth. "HE F&&&ING SHOT ME! I thought he missed."

"Reekis, can you climb up there and get my knife?"

The smaller man looks up from where he kneels beside the dead enemy. "I can do that."

Reekis has been searching the body: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18


Female Human Witch 1 AC 13 HP 8

Anor takes a moment while she's passing Eljoy to press a hand to his wound, and whisper a few words he can't quite catch.

Cure Light Wounds: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6


Oliver’s hand glows faintly as he calls upon his gift. He places his hand upon the fox’s hindquarters whilst Jasper tries to keep the animal still, and the grievous wounds close up rapidly and completely. The fox stops whining and twists to lick the recently damaged area.


Knowledge (nature) DC 6:
The fox is a firefoot fennec, a species native to the Darkmoon Vale region; so identifiable by its particularly large ears compared to its body size, and the brighter orange fur on its legs.

Knowledge (nature) DC 11:
Firefoot fennecs are particularly social (and some say intelligent) compared to other fox species, and they are often domesticated by farmers in the region to hunt rabbits or even as pets.

Knowledge (local) DC 11:
The dead hunter appears to be a hobgoblin, a race of militaristic humanoids more closely related to the common goblin than to humans.

Knowledge (local) DC 16:
Hobgoblins tend to be quite quick and tough compared to humans, and they see well in the dark. Hobgoblins are common enough in Darkmoon Vale, but there are no known tribes or communities of them living in the Darkmoon Wood; they are more likely to be found in the Five Kings Ranges to the north, or the Arthfell Forest to the south.

Knowledge (local) DC 21:
Hobgoblins have a reputation of being sneaky and stealthy. This one’s long, pointed tongue and tribal tattoos on his arms indicate that he is a member of the Knifetongue tribe of the Arthfell Forest.


The arrow is embedded in the flesh of Eljoy’s arm. Knowing what he needs to do, he grits his teeth, breaks off the end of the arrow, and pushes it all the way through, so as to avoid more damage to his flesh by trying to rip out the barbed head. Anor whispers some arcane words and magically heals up the wound before Eljoy loses too much more blood.


Reekis thoroughly searches the corpse of the dead humanoid. The studded leather armour that the creature wears is battle-scarred and damaged from the recent fight, but is serviceable and repairable. He never had a chance to strap on his shield before Adalwin and Eljoy were on him – it hangs on his belt, a light, circular steel shield with a wicked spike in the centre. It appears quite well crafted. He has several weapons – a battered longsword, his yew longbow along with a quiver of 16 black fletched arrows, a long dagger and a skinning knife. A fraying backpack strapped around his shoulders holds trail rations – mostly dried and smoked meat that would probably have sustained him for about 6 days; a flea infested woollen blanket; a piece of flint and a sliver of steel, tied together with twine; and a small cast iron skillet. A pouch at his belt holds 4 gold coins of Andoran mint, 11 silver pieces, and an oddly shaped tin whistle.


Climb check: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18

After searching the body, Reekis scrambles up the tree – with bad grace and many complaints – to retrieve Eljoy’s dagger.


halfling tattooed sorcerer (orc) 2 |AC 13, FF 13, T 11, CMD 9; F 1 R 3 W 6, +2 vs fear; hp 4/10; init +2; perc +10, +12 w/ familiar, +15 sight-based in shadows w/ familar

Jasper watches the oracle's gift heal the creature with some obvious amazement. "You must be very powerful - it was hurt so bad!"

The orcling slides back from the much-happier animal as it examines its lack of wounds, realizing that it is still a wild animal that might not appreciate his presence, but he remains near, watching it for signs that the trap has left it lamed or with some other ill effect.

Satisfied that the fox will be fine, he turns to the trap. "We can't leave this thing where just anyone can do this again. Can we destroy it or throw it in the lake or something?"

301 to 350 of 2,488 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Adventures in Darkmoon Vale Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.