Iobaria: The Fallen Empire

Game Master Corerue

A group of Mercenaries set off with their Mercenary company into the dark lands known as Iobaria. Braving the fallen realm and what dark history lies therein to make their mark, make some gold and perhaps become heroes...

Ambushing the Raiders!


351 to 400 of 1,330 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>

The heat in the room was on the rise again, like walking near a bonfire and causing a steamy haze to drift inside the chamber. The sword was flaring with renewed might on its ghostly wielders back as Wallace stepped into the room.

Ianerus gives wallace a deep look of confusion before looking to her Lord and back. Almost growing flustered at the question. Finally the man spoke up. "No, she has remained here. As we both were discussing before your arrival we were idle here up until the doorway opened and your lot were standing outside of it."

Ianerus, looking a bit relieved, turns to regard Wallace and quietly asks. "What did this one look like?" At the description she looks even more confused. "These hobgoblins are quite vague... If it was one of my own they wouldn't be so foolish as to attack alone. Unless they had no herd..." She looks nervous and forlorn as she continues. "Outcasts lose their sense over time. If they were an Outcast I could understand why they attack when they should run..."


Male Male Human Evangelist cleric 4 HP 40/44 AC:17/13/14 F+7/R+4/W+9 Init+3 Perception+13

Wallace nods "Well then that will be something to look out for in the near future. I hope that this Centaur survived, their distractions look to have ultimately helped us defeat the hobgoblins. Thank you for the answer."


Rhavenna

Tadis nods in agreement before finishing another heavy bite and rising to his feet again. "Need to scout out and around us befor ethe storm hits, ensure the area is clear." He waits for a response before heading off at a steady clip back into the forest and heading west...

Evening

Tadis hadn't returned before before the sun began to set in the west. Its rays lighting up the sky a dark red as the mercs began to brace for the rising winds...

The setting sun illuminated the massive storm front that rolled out of the Icerime mountains. Endless grey rolling clouds heavy and nearly black in color with how swollen they were with rain, the cold front brought with itt freezing rain, sleet and a fierce wind that grew stronger with every minute. Bharrog ordered the men to collapse the tents and get what they could inside the ruins while he secured the dragon hide himself. Rhavenna and the other sentries held their wide perimeter despite the intensity of the wind and the extremely poor visibility the sideways sleet was flying rapidly before their eyes.

As the sun finally began to set The swirling and vortexing ice storm made it nearly impossible to see further than ten feet in any direction and soon Rhavenna lost sight of her fellow sentries. Even with her darkvision her vision was obscurred and the wind made it hard to tell if anything was coming towards her over the din of mercs scrambling for cover in the ruins.

Minutes stretched into hours as her equestrial legs shook in the deepening cold, her breath misting before her face as she stood, lance in hand. A bow wasn't much use with such little visibility. Just as the sound of her fellows fleeing for cover died down the crackle of thunder boomed up above
causing a new shiver to run down her ice slicked back. The rumble of the thunder made it nearly impossible to hear anything over the wind now...

Those not on watch

Mai's chest felt almost tight at the feeling of whatever it was was coming closer. So much so that wehen the thunder struck he gripped his blade as if expecting something to suddenly emerge and attack them...

Even deep in the basement of the ruined manor Wallace can't help but take note of the dropping temperature and frost starting to cover the cooler liquid vials.

Livain and Bharrog worked to get the hide somewhere warm and set it near the ruined mantle so it could stay dry despite the draft wafting through the ruins. Once it was secure Bharrog left her to keep it that way and headed out into the storm.

Bharrog and several others moved the equipment from outside into the ruin's common area and stacked and shifted things as quick as possible. Bharrog's long beard and hairy shoulders began to take on the shape of a rough ice armor as the freezing rain clung to the nearly bare chested dwarf. However he was visibly shivering as they got the last of the mercenaries gear inside. Horses and even a cart were brought inside, they placed the horses in the inner stables and worked hard to calm them as the thunder rolled above.

Once everything was secure Bharrog went to the entrance of the Ruin and belloed into the storm filled darkness. "Abandon yar posts and get ya arses inside! The lot of ya!" After a few seconds and no one emerged from the darkness he stepped out into the dark and roared again. "Can ya bastards hear me! Move yar ars-!"

Lightning strikes in the center of the field, interrupting Bharrog's shout and eliciting a curse from the dwarf as he waves for everyone with metal to get further inside.

At the sudden commotion the pair of spectres appear and much to everyone's surprise they vanish into the storm, separating without a word and much to Bharrog's displeasure...


Rhavenna:

Despite the darkness you stood firm, the storm only made you wary up until a bolt struck down somewhere behind you. You wheeled to see how close it was but the sleet and sideways blowing wind made it all but impossible to get your bearings.

Rhavenna's perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14

You couldn't hear anything more than the storm and the howling of the winds. This was by far the fiercest storm you had ever experienced in Brevoy before and perhaps ever would again. For what seemed an eternity you stood there alone until a lone shout rose over the howling winds and just as swiftly as you heard it it ceased.

1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12

Again the storm obscured all direction, the cry seemed to ring out from all around, garbling whatever it was they had shouted...

No call to muster had been made yet, nothing to indicate it was time to pull back and Tadis hadn't return from his latest run either.

Please roll a perception check this time yourself, I am starting to think the Dice roller hates me/you lol

What you decide from her is up to you. You can roleplay how she choose to stand initially and whathaveyou. You were part of a sprad out watch, trying to cover several points with minimal resoruces. However the storm overtook you swiftly. Imagine it going from clear and windy to absolutely obscured and gale force wind in under 20 mins.


Female Centaur Ranger (Skirmisher/Divine tracker) 4

DM Corerue:
It was getting worse by the moment. Shivering in the mounting cold, Rhavenna could barely see more than a few feet beyond her, her senses overwhelmed by the howling wind, crashing thunder and unending white of the accumulating snow.

She couldn't hear anything from the fortress now, and though she held out hope, with no sign of Tadis, the odds weren't in his favor if her were caught on the trail with no way to find shelter. She would give it a bit longer, just a little while and she would head back, to be near a fire. Though her body was tougher, her shin thinker than many of her allies, she had her limits, and the cold was quickly approaching those.

1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10


Male Male Human Evangelist cleric 4 HP 40/44 AC:17/13/14 F+7/R+4/W+9 Init+3 Perception+13

Wallace having come out of the basement to investigate the strange cold frowns as he looks at the weather.
"that is an incredibly potent storm." The human comments as he looks at the freezing slurry of flying slush.

As the men file in Wallace channels a burst of healing energy to chase the chill from their bones.
"Head to the throne room and start a fire there. The place is hot from the ghosts influence to begin with. It m-might make this cold bearable."
The human informs as he turns to look for his allies. Spotting Livain near Bharrog.
"Livain! is Maiathreen out in the storm? What of Rhavenna and Tadis?" The priest asks as he glances to the heavy furs and waxed hides he himself was wearing [i]Knew that going to Iobaria without such would be foolhardy. A shame others disagreed with that sentiment. Hopefully they survive long enough to regret the decision. This storm is supremely fierce."[/b]


Rhavenna:

Only the sounds of the storm filled your ears, leaving you deaf to all else as you begin to shiver. There qas no sign of Tadis or anyone else over the roar of the storm and just as the shivering started to worsen someone emerged from the storm.

You recognize Ianerus as soon as she came within a few feet of you. She wasn't alone as the other spectre appeared. His sword appeared to be warding off the snow, creating a large circle of warmth that washed over you as he came close. "Thats all of them save for this centauress. Best you return now, your smith bellows for your return, standing here won't do you any... good." His eye move upward momentarily before he points behind you. " Follow us this way and quickly ."

Fort save please :)


Female Centaur Ranger (Skirmisher/Divine tracker) 4

Spoiler:
Fort (Endurance): 1d20 + 10 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 10 + 4 = 18


Rhavenna:

You force your stiuff muscles to move and follow the pair of spectres off in an obscured direction, however after a mere six paces the old swordsmen stops just in front of you. Just as he does lightning arcs in the skies above and illuminates the slurry that was still pelting you. Momentarily you thought you saw figures cavorting in the skies above, but before you could focus on it the old ghost waves you forward more hurriedly. "Time to move. Lets go! Go! GO!" His voice wasn't the only thing quickened as him and Ianerus both seemed to be speeding up, although they however didn't leave you completely behind. As you cross a muddy ash pile you realize you are over half way across the grounds when something comes barreling out of the dark...

DC 18 Reflex needed -4 from cold exposure: 1d20 + 9 - 4 ⇒ (14) + 9 - 4 = 19

The burnt and halfway frozen body of a winged creature narrowly misses you, along with its heavy compliment of arrows and its charred bow. It slams into the ground next to your left flank with a bone crushing force, it was obvious that it had fallen a great distance before hitting the ground...

Before you could ponder much more thunder roared up above bringing your eyes skyward once more just as lightning arced across the sky. The figures were not moving about at random, their was some sort of struggle occurring in the skies above you. You couldn't make out much between the wind, slurry and stinging cold in your eyes and were forced to continue forward. Following the ghosts with your head down and your legs pounding the freezing soil with everything you were worth.

It wasn't until you burst into a lighted area that you sudden;y realized you were within the ruined fortresses Common Area. The gaping hole in its front area a welcomed sight behind you as the sudden warmth brought you to shivering once more. The Spectres appeared relieved at getting you inside and as your eyes fell on a wounded man you realized why. The wounded man lay with his neck and shoulder bandaged, his longsword lay in pieces near his side and he still held the broken hilt, whatever had struck him broke the blade completely off at the base...

The spectres didn't linger long, both disappeared back out into the storm...

Rhavenna burst into the temple proper in pure Centaur fashion, bulling herway through men to slow to scramble out of the way as she brought in buckets of dripping water and an ice covered back. She was the last sentry that had arrived and thankfully all of them were accounted for. The one sentry that had all your attention was wounded at his neck and shoulder which were now bandaged, but when he stumbled in. Led by the spectres it looked like he had been raked by a massive birds talons. His weapon had fared far worse though, his sturdy longsword lay in scattered pieces near his side and he still held the broken hilt, whatever had struck him broke the blade completely off at the base...

The Spectres that had returned with Rhavenna didn't linger long and disappeared back out into the storm...

Bharrog, seeing one man injured marshalled the mercs into getting out longspears and crossbows as they took the newly aquired tables and set them on edge and created a barricade around the opening. Temporarily dispelling the cold sweeping into the ruin as Wallace struggled to make the fire high enough to dispel the draft...


Female Centaur Ranger (Skirmisher/Divine tracker) 4

"Some sort...of aerial battle......winged with bows against....something that can char flesh and bone." Rhavenna pants as she tries to warm up, shaking out her hair, now wet with melting snow.


Male Male Human Evangelist cleric 4 HP 40/44 AC:17/13/14 F+7/R+4/W+9 Init+3 Perception+13

Wallace frowns in thought as ideas race the length of the mans eyes. He stops himself as he glances with concern to Rhavenna. the man mutters some words in his strange language and his hand gains a wispy glow.
"Here, to chase the chill from your bones."
The human says as he offers the hand to the Centaur

The human then glancing to the heavily wounded sentry to see at a glance if his injuries were life threatening.
Take 10 on perception is a 23 which I hope is enough for a quick examination but if not.
perception check: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (13) + 13 = 26
heal: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27


Female Centaur Ranger (Skirmisher/Divine tracker) 4

Despite her violent shivering, Rhavenna looks at Wallace's hand as if it were on fire. "IIII...I sssswear, iiiff you ttturn mme into sssome hideous mmmonster again I wwwilll ssstomp the $#!+ out of yyyou." she says giving the mad cleric a glare before sighing and stepping forward to accept the spell. [b\"TTThanks."[/b]


The storm continues to rage for some time, whipping the ruins with an ever increasing amount of freezing rain that builds on the openings and slowly creating ice mounds which make traversing outside on foot hazardous at best. After several minutes the spectres return, looking no worse for wear but surprisingly they looked shocked about something. They were conversing amongst themselves as they made their way back into their room of origin.

If you listen in:

"... numbers increased this much?"
"Milord didn't we wipe out the nest?"
"Of course we did. Or at least every last one that was there at the time."
"So it's possible we missed one?"
"One would be enough regrettably..."
"Why would they leave the Peaks?"
"Better hunting grounds, revenge... Blast! Too many possibilities to narrow to a mere one."
"So who will fight them now?"
"We will of course, so long as they come close enough we can still face them. Other than that Iobaria needs to deal with them. Gods damn whoever created the Ice Wraiths..."

Sleep was hard to come by as the storm raged outside, granted the thunder and lightning abated greatly. Still the howl of the wind through the drafty ruin made it not only cool but wet in some places.

Mai

Your fears faded, as whatever was coming appeared to have vanished completely. This mixed with your lack of sleep left you feeling a bit thickheaded over what it could have been but you felt something distinct midway through the night. Something familiar but you couldn't quite put your finger on what was familiar.

Livain

Go ahead and make some armor and weapon rolls, we are going to continue forward with your project. Make as many as appropriate for what you are making everyone. Since their was little interest in armor you can make a single roll on that, adding in a +4 aid check to each roll as well.

Wallace

Between the man's dream mumbles you ascertain the only reason he escaped further injury was due tot he quick intervention of the Spectres. Your ministrations however ensured that he wouldn't suffer from infection before one of the extra healers could treat his injuries.

Rhavenna

1d20 + 14 ⇒ (13) + 14 = 27

Early morning everyone is shocked at the return of the lightly armored ranger Tadis. He has his cloack pulled in tight and appears to be no worse for wear due to the storm. Although, like you he stumbles in, numb and tired after fighting his way through the storm. He nods to each of you in turn before curling up near a fire and quickly passing out on the stone florr.


The long night passes, the storm eventually subsides and in the morning you are shocked at the sight of a number of corpses littering the grounds. Their forms were scorched and they were completely encased in the sleet that had fallen nearly all night. Nearly all of their equipment was destroyed, their arrows crushed on impact with the earth and out of all of them only a single bow survived. Its make was nothing like the civilised kingdoms and appeared far larger than a standard Longbow...

The creatures had tattered wings and taloned feet, though in life they would have resembled a feral winged woman with a wild look about her. Their lifeless eyes were wide upon death, some looked afraid and only one died with its face twisted into a snarling growl, revealing pointed teeth. Their feathers were purely white across most of their bodies, while their bellies were a mix of grey feathers and pale skin. Their taloned feet appeared quite dexterous upon inspection and their quivers were made to allow the arrows to hang low without falling out. A sort of Mesh inside the quiver held them in place.

Other than burn wounds the creatures sported a number of other wounds. A mixture of obvious claw and bite wounds covered parts of their body...

Heal DC 18:

Intermixed with the claw and bite wounds are less obvious injuries of a far narrow sort of weapon. One used to pierce no more than once on a number of the corpses.

There were also less than obvious sword wounds as well, intermixed where bite marks were. Whatever these creatures had faced was far more vicious than they were...

K-Geography, History or Local DC 15:

These creatures bear the likeness of a tribe of abnormal harpies thought to have gone extinct long ago. They are the few of their kind that utilize weapons and live in the high altitudes of teh mountains. Often swooping down from on high and raiding merchant caravans and or villages of their supplies and menfolk.

They were far more vicious then most of their kind. Once they were done with the men they had kidnapped they would carry them back and return them by dropping them from several hunderd feet up...

K-Geography, History or Local DC 20:

They were wiped out by a band of soldiers that hailed from Rostland and Iobaria. The skull of the Harpy Queen is on display in Rostland's graveyard.

They were known for being extremely resistant to the cold. Which was very abnormal compared to their marsh bound cousins.


Female Centaur Ranger (Skirmisher/Divine tracker) 4

Stdying the corpses, Rhavenna could make nothing of the fierce, exotic birdlike women, though she did find their weapons fascinating.

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11


Male Male Human Evangelist cleric 4 HP 40/44 AC:17/13/14 F+7/R+4/W+9 Init+3 Perception+13

Blah been so lay in posting recently

Wallace had taken to singing songs and telling tales through the night as he did his best to feed the fire. Armored as she was against the elements now the human leaned of Rhavenna to collect firewood while the storm raged.
There are only so many decrepit pieces of furniture to repurpose in here after all
The human giving a sigh of relief as the storm subsided a smile on his face as he sees Tadis stumbling in
" Small favors from the bringer of fate." the human mutters to himself with some reverence.

With such accomplished the human collapses into a lump by the fire himself sleeping the sleep of the exhausted.

Wallace is likely one of the last to awaken from the nights events. He was awake for most of the night keeping the fire stoked and spirits high as he could. However when he does wake up (or when one of you prod him awake) he will do the following

With a jaw popping yawn the priest walks out into the field. The only indicator of his confusion being a quirked brow.
heal: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18
K:History: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20

Well apparently the lord of doors wanted me to know he favors Wallace having knowledge today. those are some amusingly specific dice rolls
" These look like a Harpy band slain years ago by mercenary coalition out of Rostland and Ioboria. they were known for being an exceptionally viscous breed, near immune to cold as well. The obviously former, thought to be last, Queen's skull is on display in the Rostland graveyard. Apparently though whatever they fought was more viscous by half. The claw and bite marks hide some variety of narrow piercing wound. perhaps a rapier? Strange though, there is only one such mark on each body. More weapon marks that look like traditional sword blades though."
The human rattles off with a sleepy yawn, looking to the mountains of the area.
"I'm very glad they didn't take interest in us, with the number of corpses here we would have been swiftly over run. These bird women are the type to play with their food and drop them from great heights once they are done. I'm thankful to avoid such an experience."


Female Centaur Ranger (Skirmisher/Divine tracker) 4

"You're assuming that whatever killed them, kept us from having to face them......what if it's the other way around and they were just trying to protect themselves?" Rhavenna asks ominously.


Arrow: 1d20 + 11 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 11 + 4 = 21
Arrow: 1d20 + 11 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 11 + 4 = 20
Arrow: 1d20 + 11 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 11 + 4 = 17
How ever many masterwork dragon bone arrows that gives me about 180 I think

Bow: 1d20 + 11 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 11 + 4 = 34
Bow: 1d20 + 11 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 11 + 4 = 26
Two masterwork dragon bone bows one +2 the other +5 for Rhavenna

Weapon: 1d20 + 12 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 12 + 4 = 32
Weapon: 1d20 + 12 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 12 + 4 = 23
Weapon: 1d20 + 12 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 12 + 4 = 25
Weapon: 1d20 + 12 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 12 + 4 = 21
1 masterwork longsword Me
1 masterwork Centaur lance Rhavenna
1 masterwork morningstar Wallace
1 masterwork Dagger Maiathreen

Armor: 1d20 + 11 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 11 + 4 = 33
Masterwork haramaki for Maiathreen

Do we have any supplies left after all this?


Male Male Human Evangelist cleric 4 HP 40/44 AC:17/13/14 F+7/R+4/W+9 Init+3 Perception+13

Wallace looks to the mountains above and grins slightly
"With the way these creatures fought I have no doubt that were either faction interested in us we would be in their bellies already. Though with the number of corpses I wonder what it was they were fighting that left none of their own."
I don't suppose there are any markings on these creatures that might indicate two separate clans of Harpies fighting each other or something like that?


Female Centaur Ranger (Skirmisher/Divine tracker) 4

As Wallace conjectures, Rhavenna studies the corpses in depth seeking to determine the details of their deaths.
Heal(CSI): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22

"Sword wounds, bitemarks and each of them was also pierced once by something narrow."


These creatures don't have any markings on them that would indicate a dissimilar separation of kind or origin.

Rhavenna's assessment of their injuries along with Wallace's explanation as to who, what and where these harpies came from elicits a curse from Bharrog. "Bugger me, can't we get a break from dis s&+&te... Alright! Listen up boys!" He barks out orders to the entire band that until hawk returned they were to remain within the ruins where they had cover, the sentries were to be doubled and everyone was to move in pairs. This he aimed more at Tadis than anyone else. Tadis nodded in response but otherwise was very quiet since last night.

The bodies are cleared and dumped a ways away lest they attract predators, any chosen for further examination are begrudgingly brought inside only under Bharrog's direct orders.

Livain

The work you performed over the days that Hawk departed wasn't wasted, even the storm that kept most awake from cold and fear of the unknown hardly phased you and even with the disruption Bharrog gave his assistance as well. Over the time you started the dragon bones are all but exhausted. You were able to create enough to equip several archers or an elite band upto 4 with at least 45 in each quiver. (180 Dragon Bone Arrows, they deal an additional +1 cold damage and are masterwork with a 50% discount on cold enchantments later on.)

She produces a pair of beautiful composite dragonbows and Rhavenna's proves to be so hard to draw that regular men couldn't hardly pull back on it let alone fire it accurately... (Both Composite bows Created, No issues, 50% discount on any cold effects added to them later on)

The weapons took more time and with this Bharrog was more intune with how to help you out with them. Together you lit the forge within the ruins and got to heating and crafting away. PLease add you own descriptions for the items created of course.

Each weapon is masterwork with the added benefit of +1 cold damage upon striking, any cold related enchantments are more easily add to these weapons and come at a 50% discount. Please note it on your sheets for later.

Remember Rhavenna has a decent lance already but at their own leisure they can still accept a second lance, dragon bone lance made of the tail vertebrae of their former opponent would look rather wicked... Polearms or other reach weapon types may suit her as well, upto you Rhavenna.

4d100 ⇒ (95, 11, 21, 67) = 194

The masterwork dragonskin haramaki armor was a masterpiece upon completion. Livain knew the subject far better than most and not only did it turn out well. It fit so snugly that it was like a second skin. The white scales were no longer sickly looking and shined like freshly fallen snow in the midst of a blizzard. The scales were interlocking and absorbed blows for better than other armors of this type could ever hope too. Upon completion Bharrog was quite impressed, he gave it a nod of approval before shaking his head and adding gruffly. "The only way it could be better is if it were made of mithral lass. Yours is a lucky one to get something like this. At least that s&&~te dragon went to good use."

This armor is unique, unlike standard haramaki this armor comes out with an additional +2 to its AC bonus, due to the dragons thicker hide. Like the weapons, it also has a discounted ability for enchantments to resist cold effects. 50% and note that in the character description for future reference.

With so many items created the bones are exhausted but there is enough hide left to either equip Licain and Wallace in light armor or possible equip Rhavenna in light armor barding or enough for a single suit of medium armor for Wallace or Livain. The choices were rough but some of the hide had gone into the creation of the bows and though it was a gamble so far it had paid off splendidly.

Though future creations may not turn out as tough as the one you just created...

Two days later

If you have plans we can back track but this is a decent filler post so we can keep moving forward.

Hawk returned, though at the head of over 2 score of mercs, astride horses and armed for full on warfare. Hawk though looked haggard, as though he had been put through the ringer in his time away from the mercenary band. Upon questioning he waved off the newcomers as recruits, eager to join the blades in the endeavors in Iobaria.

Some were old and scarred, some looked like cannon fodder. To obvious in their lack of confidence and inexperienced as young adults. Standing out among them are those of mixed heritages, a pair of tieflings in particular who bear horns. One akin to the beasts of the plains of the mwangi upward point and wavy like a chelish greatblade. The other sported a pair o rams horns and both wore heavy armor with the symbol of Gorum emblazoned on the front. Their horses were heavy horses of warhorse quality, standing a head taller than even the current mounts among the regulars in the company. However upon seeing Rhavenna the two become quite excited, punching one another roughly in the shoulder as they spoke in a language that wasn't common...

Along with the Mercs came more wagons brimming with supplies, equipment and other goods for the long trek ahead. He entered the common area of the ruin with a rather disapproving look on his face before Bharrog breiefed him on the goings of a fed days past. He grunts as his disapproving look fades.

"We were caught in that bloody mess as well. Had a full hundred at our back but over two score decided that this was some sign to turn back and so they bloody did. Cowards the lot of them. Though we saw no sign of harpies only the shadow of a beast in the sky, it swooped around us like it were checking us out but it didn't bother to do more than that."

He sits and enjoys a hot cup of Klah, fresh from the supplies they brought as he discusses openly with Bharrog the plans for tomorrow. He glances at Tadis first though, asking bluntly. "Ya debt repaid yet or are you comin' with us to Iobaria? Your Lord may not approve." When Tadis shook his head in response Hawk sighed. "Suit your bloody self than, Bharrog we march on the morrow for the Maw of Karth. I plan to punch through it in a day and a half. I'm sure the storm has kicked up a number of problems for us but we can't delay any longer." He holds up a missive and hands it to the dwarf who curses and tosses the thing into the open flame of the ruins well stoked hearth.

"Damn that little s$+#te of a prince i'll box his bloody ears if he thinks he can treat us this way! Rules a moldering ruin in the middle of a diseased land and tinks were his servants? He can piss off with th-"

Hawk held up his hand and still the dwarfs rantings as he spoke. "We accepted the work, had I succeeded in Restov I could have secured some ships from the Issiens but they backed out due to changing weather up north as well. So the Maw is are only shot. If the storm hits before we get through we won't make it and our charter stands on the line this time."

Bharrog waved his hand in annoyance, like he was swatting away a fly. "Feh I get it, we all do and we're not done yet. Not by a long shot. Besides perhaps there is opportunity in that sick land to do something better for ourselves..." He brightens though upon seeing Livain and brings the lass forward to show off her creations. "We've been busy since ya went on about enjoying finer company. Look at dis here bow she made. Ain't it somethin'?"

Hawk looked it over while it was on Livains back and noticed that some had weapons crafted from the dragon they had defeated. He nodded firmly in approval as he looked to Livain. "You've come a long way. Though I hope your new bow fires as well as its looks. Hopefully you've not forgotten your training in lieu of working with the old forge belly here."

Bharrog scoffed as Hawk laughed. "Please, everyone relax a bit before we get to training and readying for tomorrow's move. We will break at sunrise and march hard into the 'Rimes."

Wallace:

Was there anything in particular yo were ordering or was it just a filler to refill your supplies in character?


Male Male Human Evangelist cleric 4 HP 40/44 AC:17/13/14 F+7/R+4/W+9 Init+3 Perception+13

Time skip days

As the discussion continues Wallace shrugs.
"Yes I did notice those, not all of them have those narrow marks. Those who do seem exceptionally dead. A shame I don't have the ability to ask what killed them. Looking at them all they don't seem to have different tribal markings of any obvious type. So it isn't as likely that it was some kind of tribal war, still interesting to think about." The human seems to have a thought as he surveys the field of corpses. Rhavenna I think I'll be needing your help, well everyone's really, I just realized the boon we are standing on. Even as one path is closed.."
With a grin on his face Wallace looks to the Mercenary company and back to the field of corpses.
Lads and Lasses much as it is strange to say we ought to thank the gods in the stars for this strange event. One of the largest threats we will need to face in the coming months living in Iobaria is the dangers of frost. We have just been give the materials for jackets of harpy down, cloaks of the hardier exterior feathers and the flight feathers of a beast that flys in the most dangerous winter storms. It isn't dragon hide but we sure as hell have a lot more of this." The human explain as he looks to the crowd of mercenaries, waiting a beat to let the information sink in before continuing.
"We are going to need to work very quickly if we want to get anything from the creatures, dead as they are we are going to need to stoke a mighty fire to defrost them before we can do any of what I described. I'll take one and see how best to do it all."
Never mind the added bonus of what we can squeeze out of Restov for not only informing them of a nest of these cold affected harpies long thought dead but the heads of all these warriors that we obviously 'Killed'
The human considers as he continues to grin.

So to sum up, in my mind dead cold immune/resistant harpies= Weather proofed cloaks, jackets, blankets and bedrolls. Plus flight feathers for arrow fletching from flying creatures designed to function effectively in this sort of weather. Just gotta defrost them and get to work. Also wearing dead humanoids is creepy as hell but Wallace ain't gonna mention that part. Pragmatism at its best.

------------- Assuming any objections are placated and the idea moves on. Disregard if Wallace is shot down.

I'll be having Wallace use Know the Enemy, his Cleric knowledge domain ability to emulate a knowledge:Nature/arcana/planes or whatever to properly grasp what special qualities these creatures bodies might carry. The total DC for that would be.. a DC34 knowledge check
base of 24 from Lorekeeper domain power.
+10 from KtE

heal check: 1d20 + 9 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 9 + 2 = 28 +2 from masterwork tools, would the hobgoblins torture lab grant additional bonuses for the sake of examining/ dissecting things?

Two days later *Hawks Arrival*

Wallace notes his leaders haggard appearance and lets him make his commands and orders, waving with a hand to draw Hawks attention and giving a look of the eye that indicate a desire to talk but a lack of urgency.
The human waiting until Hawk is mostly free before moving in for a quiet word.
"So I take that note was our employer putting our back against the wall? A shame, things had been looking up with that victory at the keep. Tackling the Maw is going to be a challenge with the fresh snow." Wallace says with a casual air.
"However you already know I have an idea so I'll just tell you. That Silver we encountered a few weeks back. Aradacemorn. It is a new arrival to this area and we could likely use some of the coin to gain its aid. We could also offer partial or full control of this ruin as a Lair for it. Like I said in the missive a few days ago if we can repair the damage done to this building and recover the deed it would be of use but if I understand the situation repairing it will take a lot of time and we need to get over the mountain now. A dragon blowing the snow off the path and scaring off the locals would very likely help that. I have a spell that enhances my voice to be loud enough the dragon might be able to hear us. Do you want me to try?"

Effectively what I'm going to do is shout the dragons name into the mountains using the spell Clarion Call It might attract other things but such is the risk. Tackling the Maw without is possible but this would just be one more added layer of defense. Plus dragon ally. What's not to love?


Hawk

Bharrog gives Wallace an appraising look but says nothing else. He silently stands up and shuffles off to do work else where as Hawk considers Wallace's idea. After several long moments Hawk nods and looks to Wallace. "That dragon is an odd one, usually they don't offer service for free. However if we can get its aid temporarily I'm willing to pay the cost to get past the Maw. So you may do as your planned, we'll have to stay on our toes as you are correct. With these harpies we are more then likely going to get unwanted attention."


Male Male Human Evangelist cleric 4 HP 40/44 AC:17/13/14 F+7/R+4/W+9 Init+3 Perception+13

Hawk
Wallace nods at his leader and looks to the buildings towers. "I'll get what I feel I'm going to need to have success and drag it up to that tower. I I expect it will take me some time, to get everything prepared."

Basically Wallace is just going to sit in a tall tower with a lantern and a bullhorn. Then he'll cast his loudspeaker spell and shout the dragons name at the top of his lungs. Once everyone knows what the deal is and is properly situated for a siege. might take some time to chop enough logs and move stuff though.


It is the work of a few hours but eventually Wallace's shouts bear fruit. The silver descends from the skies, riding on the back of a cloud and driving the white wispy mass until it is level with Wallaces tower. Aradacemorn appeared battered, his scales scrapped and missing in multiple places across his body. Along with what appeared to be several broken arrow shafts in his back and one between his neck and shoulders. Despite his injuries, his eyes bore a ferociousness that wasn't there before. "What do you want? Do you not realize the trouble you may be bringing down upon thyselves?"

He looks about after he speaks and visibly takes note of the increased number of men around the ruin. "Feh, Teiflings..." He looks back to Wallace then. "You plan to challenge the Maw then?"


Male Male Human Evangelist cleric 4 HP 40/44 AC:17/13/14 F+7/R+4/W+9 Init+3 Perception+13

Wallace does his best to not flinch like a rabbit when the dragon descends with irritation on its brow and arrows in its side restricting the motion to a twitch of his brow.
"Yes, that would be the nature of my calling. We are aware the trouble we will bring with this manner, hence the rest of my allies are withdrawn in the ruin below us prepared for that same trouble. This place now has become a battle ground twice in three days, whatever beasts lay in this mountain I can only guess many of them we coming to investigate the carrion already. The Hobgoblins we had been hunting turned out to be vanguard for something darker, I know not yet the full details but they were taking those they captured on the road and torturing them horribly here. Were you not in these mountains to give direction many more would have died, Thank you. Fortunately the lord of the land had been riding to these ruins himself he took those who survived to warmer lands, to recover and forget the scars of this place." the human says looking to the forest nearest the ruin, where rows of shallow graves stood for those slain by the hobgoblins without family to claim them.
"I have been given leave to request for your aid in our crossing the Maw. However before any negotiations I see you have taken a few minor scrapes since our last meeting. I can heal some of the damage if you would desire it, while clearly not life threatening I can't imagine any of those to be pleasant." The human asks as he gives one of the closest arrow wounds an appraising glance.
"I don't suppose those would be the work of mountain harpies? A massive band of them made the skies above this place a battleground last night when a blizzard engulfed us."
Mostly Wallace would channel energy several times, burn his CMW spell and some charges from the wand of CLW that we have. I see a chance to get on fair terms with the Silver by making sure he is healed before we speak.
And in case it becomes necessary.
perception: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (5) + 13 = 18
Sense motive: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (12) + 12 = 24
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (18) + 11 = 29
Oh and Walalce has two different buff spells for his Diplomacy (Tap Inner Beauty and Enchance Diplomacy.) As the Dragon is descending from on high would I have the time to cast them once I know he is coming? (One of the reasons why I had Wallace roll a perception.


Arcane: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (9) + 12 = 21
History: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16
Planes: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (13) + 12 = 25
detect magic any residual magic left over in their wounds all the checks are to see if I recognize anything hoping these dead Harris are related to my feeling of dread

Maiathreen walks out amongst the dead harpies examining them his new armor snug against his scales worn hidden beneath his clothing for now. He is secretly very proud of his wife's new weapons and armor and will occasionally run his hand across the fine leather and scales. His mind wanders through his library of memories as he studies the bodies, selecting books at random hoping his instincts will guide him to the correct one.

later

Maiathreen stands off aloof as Hawk arrives with new recruits his wings wrapped tightly around his body.

::New recruits...wonder if they are worth the pay.:: Soul Taker chimes in his head.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Living finishes handing out all her new weapons and armor "Here Wallace I know you prefer to stay out of combat but I can't leave you with such a shoddy human weapon." She says with a grin as she hands him a new morningstar fashioned of steel and dragon bone the head of the mace was shaped like a dragons head its horns and spikes formed of real dragon horn. She then turns to Rhavenna "I know you've got your own weapons already but, I couldn't help myself. This new bow will shoot farther than your old one and this lance using your original one as the template I was able to work a portion of the skull in as the shield.

The lance has scrimshaw of the battle etched into the bone detailing Rhavenna's charge. It's blade is made of the razor sharp bones located at the end of dresskal's tail, the shield which Bharrog helped set was formed from a portion of his skull allowing the horns to be shown making a fearsome weapon indeed. The bow had a stock of hardened steel and the the risers were bone giving the weapon a beautiful sculpted look.

Going to Maiathreen she unveils the armor she had been working on its weight was almost nonexistent and fit his style of combat perfectly and wouldn't hinder his spells or fighting at all. The scales were pure white which took on a reddish hue when set off from Maiathreen's own red scales. She the pulls out a single edged dagger with a folded steel core with the dragon bone forming the cutting edge. "Wear this armor to keep you safe my love for if your injured I am injured ten fold. " She tells him before wrapping her arms around his form and kissing him.

For herself she formed a thin but strong longsword with a sculpted hilt to look like a dragon's head, her own bow had a guard with small spines sticking up over the hand forming the arrow rest and delicate elvish script detailing the bows name Dresskal's Bane.


Male Male Human Evangelist cleric 4 HP 40/44 AC:17/13/14 F+7/R+4/W+9 Init+3 Perception+13

Livain's gift

Wallace nods appreciatively to the new weapon whirling the mace once in a flared flourish. "Yes this will do quite nicely, much as my experiences in melee have not been successful I imagine that I may end up in a situation needing its use again."
The human then glances to the mace on his hip I suppose she doesn't remember, it was just a happy accident that made this one anyway.

"I'll go see if one of the other men would be interested in buying my old mace, while no nearly as impressive as this one steel is steel. It ought to be enough for me to purchase materials to help those arrows of yours. There is an alchemical secret to reinforcing the arrow shafts making them much less likely to break."

Amusingly enough Wallace's previous mace was in fact crafted by Livain. As is his current armor.


Answer to your first questions Wallace. Yes, the dragon descended from far above but in a manner that was easily seen. He was riding a cloud after all, which a cloud descending rapidly would be odd to any viewer. Your other questions I will work to get some time tomorrow to give you a detailed list of what was brought back.

Wallace[b/]

The dragons tail whip's irritably as you remind it of its injuries. [b]"Your concern is noted but save your magics as your shouts have roused them again. However it was not I that did battle with the Harpies. They angered something when they called down that storm, something that taught them a lesson of humility and that they are not the masters of the skies as they so falsely believed. It was a dragon, unlike any I had ever witnessed. It breathed both fire and lightning. But I was caught in the midst of the struggle and had little choice to not act in my own interest."


Mai

The new recruits appear to be a mixture of experienced and fresh faces. A pair of tieflings with horses nearly a head taller then the rest of the Calvary notice you and start heading your way. Emblazoned on their armor are symbols of Gorum. Their warhorses follow closely behind, eyeing you warily and flaring their nostrils after taking a deep breath in your direction.

Teifling Gorumite

Teifling Gorumite 2

They jostle with each other, seeming to be in a perpetual state of struggle and from their laughter they seem to enjoy it. They speak in an unnerving tongue as they approach, surprisingly one of them reveals a pair of battered feathered wings from beneath their cloak. They close the last of the distance, and the winged one extends their left hand. Using their right to lift their visor, revealing that the one who's upward pointing horns was a woman with pircing red eyes, lips as red as blood and skin as black as pitch. Her voice was low and seductive but with the way she was looking at you it was like you were walking into a trap. "Yugiri and who are you handsome?"

The other tiefling slugs the woman in the shoulder speaking in common as well. "You always go after the interesting ones sister. But can he fight?" The voice was masculine but unlike his sister he did not raise his visor.


Maiathreen inwardly sighs as the two Gourmites walk over to him. "I can, as can my wife." He says simply his expression still one of detected boredom.


The male tielfing laughs as he spreads his arms wide. "That is good! I was going to be disappointed if you were a sort of figurehead!"

Yugiri withdraws her hand, clearly bored with you as she spies Rhavenna. "Interesting as the lizard there mayhap but that one piques my interest more brother. We've yet to fight a centaur nor have I seen one with such markings..."

His sisters words made the armored tiefling turn and look, he gave an appreciative whistle before settling a hand on his sword pommel. "The fight would be great with one such as her."

"It would brother." Yugiri closes her visor, turning away from Mai and heading towards Rhavenna in a purposeful way.

Her brother stands with his arms crossed and nods towards Yugiri as he says aloud. "This will be good."


Stepping out into the sunlight, he spied the two Gourmites making trouble and wasn't pleased by their constant and incessant need to fight everything that looked strong or bloody interested them. Firming his jaw he bellowed an order over the din of the milling about mercs. "Pack up and ready to ride out within the hour! I'll not weather another night in this ruin and we have a commission to sign! So get yer asses moving! Doman and Yugiri, I need to speak with you two. Now!"

Yugiri didn't hesitate for more then a moment before turning on her heel and making her way over to Hawk alongside her brother. Accompanied once more by their tall warhorses.


Wallace

The silver arcs an eyebrow at the commanders bellow before looking at you once more. "You need not thank me, had I know such evil was occurring I would have joined your crusade against them. Alas I failed to notice their doings, a failure I shant repeat if possible. But you didn't call me here for pleasantries or idle banter. What is it that you need Wallace?"


Male Male Human Evangelist cleric 4 HP 40/44 AC:17/13/14 F+7/R+4/W+9 Init+3 Perception+13

Wallace looks down to his commander a tick of annoyance on his brow
"I called to ask your aid in traversing the Maw. I know its history and some of the geography. Just knowing the terrain is not enough though, the hobgoblins we faced in the ruin and the harpies we managed to evade. I know that misfortune often travels in threes and with our companies bedraggled nature I know it will only take one more ill turn of fate for us to be crushed. I fear that in our destruction of the Hobgoblins here that we have drawn the ire and attention of whatever force leads them. To have your help in traveling the path over the peaks would allay much of these concerns." the human responds rapidly, obviously taking the direct path in his speech. The priest obviously restricting himself from expanding on several points as he pressed forward.


Female Centaur Ranger (Skirmisher/Divine tracker) 4

Rhavenna looks up to see the two armored warriors studying her. Somehow, this didn't feel like the usual fleeting appreciative glances she was used to. This felt like trouble.

@#%! what now? she finds herself thinking.

As Hawk calls out marching orders, summoning the two to him, she breathes a sigh of....relief. Hawk had a way of having her back that made it easier to be a part of the company.


Maiathreen's eyes flash as he over hears the one who called herself Yugiri call him a lizard.

::That's not good....::

A feral growl begins to grow with in his chest. "A lizard?!" He growls as his hand drifts towards Soul Taker.

i do have the pride drawback comes with the dragon territory


The two Gourmites continue making their way over to the frowning Hawk, not pausing as Maithreen begins to growl. They don't even turn to look, but their warhorses start to look about, clearly suspicious of everyone as they flare their nostrils in an aggressive way. Clearing a path to Hawk...


Aradacemorn looks down at the pair of tiefling Gorumites as he considers Wallaces request. He finally looked to Wallace and nodded. "Very well, I will travel with you through the Maw."

Hawk appears to be tearing into the Gourmites, who appear unphased by the admonishment they were getting from their commander. After several minutes of talking Hawk finally sends them on their way and they boldly return the way they had come from, brushing between Mai and Rhavenna, all the while the one known as Yugiri eyed Rhavenna in an unnerving way. Well unnerving for most people.

Later that day.

The Company was packed and ready to march, Hawk was at the head with his chosen lieutenants while the Silver Aradacemorn circled high above their position. When the horn call came, the call to march, the company moved forward as one. A veritable tide of mercenaries, a mix of fresh recruits and veterans of the hard times that had visited the blades in recent memory.

As the columns marched off a pair of spectres watched from the shadows of the ruin, silent and observing as the blades disappeared into the distance.

Hawk gathered his scouts together, including your group as he laid out his orders. "twelve groups will fan out to protect our forward advance and give us advance warning if something tries to surprise our main column. Each group will consist of four scouts. Wallace, Mai, Livain and Rhavenna you will take up our forward guard." He hands Livain a set of a dozen shrieker arrows. "Your group will be armed with these, the side flanks will have smoke arrows and the rear guard will utilize a horn. This way we will more easily differentiate between the groups. However we will utilize shriker arrows and smoke arrows to indicate changes in direction. Aradacemorn will remain with the main column and assist wherever he is most needed. You have my deepest thanks for your assistance." He bows his head to the silver dragon who inclines his head ever so slightly in acknowledgement of Hawks words.

The others groups took their items and spread out as ordered; in addition to the arrows Livain received, Wallace is assigned a light warhorse. "Take care of Firebolt, he's fiery and temperamental creature at times but sturdy in combat. Besides I'm sure Rhavenna is tired of carrying you." Hawk chuckles lightly before he sends you all on your way.

Day one

You all ride, and fly, ahead of the main column keeping your eyes peeled for any sign of movement...

The weather was cold but calm with a steady breeze rolling off the Icerime peaks and giving rise to steady swells for those of the winged variety to cruise upon...

The cold crisp air made visibility easier as the landscape of autumn greens, browns and yellows slowly gave way to a slowly whitening landscape. Ice and snow didn't impead the forward advance of the group as the Blades steadily winded their way up the mountain side...

Whether you chose to ride ahead and sneak along or just keep pace with the front of the column is upto you. YOur marching order is upto you as well as well as the height in which you fly.

Perception checks please along with what personal actions you will be taking. Readying a weapon in case of attack is fine. Doesn't make too much sense to ride with a lance upraised for 1-8 hours lol. Thanks!

Weather Rolls 2.33 days:

Evening: 1d100 ⇒ 9 LM
Night: 1d100 ⇒ 45 LM
Morning: 1d100 ⇒ 2 LM
Evening: 1d100 ⇒ 76 LM
Abnormal Evening Weather: 1d100 ⇒ 63 LM
Cold Snap save vs Cold DC 15 Fort MM
Night: 1d100 ⇒ 69 MM
Morning - Precipitation Snow: 1d100 ⇒ 80 MM
Evening - Precipitation Snow: 1d100 + 10 ⇒ (82) + 10 = 92

Encounter Rolls:

10d100 ⇒ (11, 25, 7, 95, 57, 43, 77, 44, 26, 49) = 434
LM: 1d100 ⇒ 36

LM

Small colony of independent Colonists
(Humans, Tengu and
Polar Bear


Male Male Human Evangelist cleric 4 HP 40/44 AC:17/13/14 F+7/R+4/W+9 Init+3 Perception+13

Aradacemorn

Wallace smiles, a small tic of his eyebrow the only indication to more than that. No demands? No assurances? he's willing to help us without anything kore than an earnest plea for it? Could this dragon be genuinely NICE? No, has to be planning something. but what?
"I thank you for your aid in this then. If you will pardon me I must inform Hawk."

Later that day
Wallace had cleaned his gear and oiled his leathers sweeping the grime and toil from his body. The chain armor meshing well enough with his refurbished cold weather gear and he newly gifted Morningstar taking a place of importance on his hip. the other side taken up by the Company banner the priest put to such use.
Wallace nods to his leader "I've a preparation of the same spell I used to gain Aradacemorn's attentions prepared in case something requiring more explanation happens. I will reserve it to avoid confusion."

On Hawks suggestion of a mount Wallace glances to the back of the mercenary camp gesturing to a snow covered mound that mostly blended in with the rest of the dirty snow. The priest making a whistle of an odd cadence. The snow pile snorts once and displaces the accumulated powder as it stands and turns to show grand curving horns with a disinterested bovine face mostly concealed with fur.
"I appreciate the offer but I believe I will be alright, Tim seems to have survived the storm. I expect there will be others who will find a mount of great use. Did Xiang Yu find someone to heal his companions injuries? I know they had been severe."
I imagine Tim the Yak looks something like this. Tim be the bigger one.

Day 1
Wallace, lacking the superior mobility of his allies but having a sturdy mount marches forward keeping an eye out for danger. The priest mostly looking for dangers on the path itself to the others in the column than lying ambush. holes in the ground, dangerous rocks that might lame a horse. Mundane but ultimately still important things.
I will have to rely on my allies to notice any actual ambush. unless whatever lives here makes a mistake I am unlikely to notice them before the trap they have prepared swings closed.
Perception: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (16) + 13 = 29

Unsure of number of dice desired. Extras:

Extras: 4d20 ⇒ (8, 12, 2, 2) = 24
Modifer for wallace is +13

Beginning of march
"Before we get moving I have prepared some castings of elemental resistance that might be of some use in this environment. Rhavenna, Maiathreen would either of you be interested in such protections?"
Wallace asks glancing to Livain's glinting scales showing her heritage and nigh invulnerability to the winters icy fangs.

Figuring that both a horse body and winged body will make traditional cold weather gear a burden on your guys. nice as the fancy new harpy down jackets we have are it might be easier to just lean on magic.


Maiathreen still seething at the insult from the Gorumites, catches Hawk before they leave for scouting. "If those gorum fanatics start something with me or mine I will kill them where they stand." He says simply before turning to follow Livain.

Day 1
Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13

Maiathreen flits from treetop to treetop his mind unfortunately preoccupied with thoughts of revenge for his real or imagined slight from the two Gorumites. It also doesn't help that his wife is in front of him as they travel through the trees her silver wings alight with sun and ice. The two seem to be playing a game of cat and mouse one leaping forward through the trees and the other jumping ahead.

before

"By all..t.the ddead deities yes. Give me a hot summer day over this blasted ice." He says his teeth chattering just before giving an undignified yelp as Livain drops a snowball down the back of his shirt. "Tttthat wh....wasn't fufufunny." He says the chattering worse than before.


Female Centaur Ranger (Skirmisher/Divine tracker) 4

Rhavenna shakes her head, sighing to herself. She had no idea what that Yugiri woman’s problem was but she was sure she’d find out eventually. She can’t help grinning at Hawk’s comment, and as Wallace offers his protective spells, she accepts, albeit warily.

Day One

Keeping her bow strung and over her shoulder, she moves forward, keeping Mai and Liv in sight as they patrol the treetops, scanning the ground as she goes.

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12

With the additional magical protection, the cold was refreshing rather than uncomfortable.


Livain Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19
Tadis Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15

Mai:

Having dealt with the Gourmites and now an angry Mai was more then Hawks worn patience could take. As Mai finished his threat he arced an eyebrow and gave a gruff laugh. "Then do so, but don't b~~&# to Pharasma when your lady is left to bury you alone. Besides I normally wouldn't take Gourmites as they are nothing but trouble which I don't need however they are natural fighters, especially with the score or so of green horns we have now. So save your anger for Iobaria... You'll need it."

Wallace
Hawk nods and then prooffers the horse to Tadis who gladly accepts it.

March Day 1

Being the forward scouts you are several minutes ahead of the main column, giving them time to react in case there is danger.

Livain spots something abnormal as she was jumping ahead of her husband once more. A large amount of frozen blood splattered across the side of the tree she was landing on. So much blood that it was literally forming several grizzly dark red icicles. Preering down through the frozen branches she could barely make out the torn apart horse of a horse and the broken remains of a human man who had literally been crushed into the trees base face first. His dead eyes glint in the morning sunlight as they appear to be completely frozen over from the passing of the storm some nights before...

Wallace

You spot the glint of steel off to your right, while Mai and Livain are tree hopping off to your left. However this glint of steel is in the form of shattered spear and arrow heads that appear to be littered across the pathway. As you and Rhavenna come closer you find trailers of blood, so much so its obvious whoever or whatever was bleeding didn't survive long after. These trails appear to have been preserved by the winter storm of a few nights past as well...

Further investigation reveals more corpses across the mountainside, numbering eighteen in all, along with horses and an assortment of shattered, broken and crushed gear. One particular body had been repeatedly crushed until it was nothing more then broken and mashed flesh with bits of bone sticking out from the multitude of compound fractures they had surffered prior to death. The horses suffered similar and horrific deaths at the hands of an unidentified attacker.

The frozen hoof marks appear to show what was most likely a hunting party set upon by something with large tracks, larger then a human foot by nearly three times...

The hunting parties tracks are also still encased in ice and lead off into the woods along the side of the path, although there appears to be no smoke or any indication of habitation in the distance that you can see from the trailhead you are traveling along.

Whatever did this ran down those that tried to break and run from the initial onslaught, around eight broke and ran and from what you can tell not a single one made it very far. Whatever did this killed the entire group in a very short amount of time. Rhavenna spots the claw marks across the trees in the area, though the marks are focused primarily midway up the tree and in one spot, the bark is completely torn through by the powerful claws of whatever left behind those tracks...

Tadis K-Nature check: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9

He appeared lost as too what the tracks are...

He continues to investigate until the group decides to move on.


Female Centaur Ranger (Skirmisher/Divine tracker) 4

Studying the tracks Rhavenna cannot fathom what creature may have created them, the snow and smearing, mixes with the tracks of the vitims making it difficult to follow.

Knowledge Nature: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6
Survival (tracking): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (7) + 11 = 18


Maithreen lands in the snow next to the grisly scene. "Any ideas what could have done this?" He asks as he gazes at the torn bodies.

Maybe I can figure it out....
K-Arcana: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (18) + 12 = 30
K-History: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13
K-Planes: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (7) + 12 = 19


Male Male Human Evangelist cleric 4 HP 40/44 AC:17/13/14 F+7/R+4/W+9 Init+3 Perception+13

Curse my lack of actual knowledge skills. Wallace is of little use in this situation.
Heal: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25
History: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29
Chance of the wounds telling enough of a story for Wallace to recall a legend?
------Assuming not or knowledge unhelpful------

Wallace shrugs as he dismounts and moves to the most grotesque of the corpses. "I don't know but I shall see if I can find out." He removes his heavy glove and speaks a utterance in his dark language before reaching out to the corpse "Do you feel like telling me a tale, Oh poor unfortunate soul?"

Wallace is over-reaching his power in this act, I don't know what checks you would like me to make in this instance but where normally Wallace would learn all about the person he has just touched (Knowledge Local) he is hoping to get a glimpse of what killed him. Either in words or in visions.


Wallace

>:):

Wallace: 1d20 ⇒ 14
Spectre: 1d20 ⇒ 17

1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17
Damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

For a moment there is nothing but white, then something comes into focus. You are standing in a forest, a storm brewing just on the edge of your vision and you can hear the frantic screams of horses and men as you find yourself facing a mounted spectre on a paniced steed. Surprisingly you stand taller then the mounted spectre by a fair margin, looking down on him like a god from on high. It was over in two hits, one to kill his horse, breaking its neck in a single blow and a second blow to kil the man. However the spectre was fearless, he thrusted a spear into your gut and twisted it for good measuer as you killed his horse. As you came upon him with the killing blow he laid a lumber axe into your side, accepting his fate and trying to take you with him.

The spectre fades and in its place is the broken body of the man you had touched and his ill-fated steed. Laying on his chest is a book, its cover bloody and its pages torn and battered...

Perusing its abused pages you learn he came from an isolated hamlet in the mountains and that he was one among many that lived there. They lived outside the laws of Brevoy and Iobaria, they were free and made their living off trading furs and lumber as the land they lived on gave little in harvestable crops. Even what ground they could clear was rocky and barren of what was needed to grow with. They had existed in peace for over a decade before it happened.

Hunters disappearing, game becoming sparce and even entire lumberjack camps were disappearing, with nothing more then a smashed apart camp to tell the story of what happened. The man's name was Bill Ryefen, he had been a hunter for over twenty long years and had never seen a creature he could not kill. Yet whatever was hunting them was far smarter and more aggressive then any he had ever encountered. Traps only angered it, bear traps were found smashed, pits found fallen in but empty and log falls were tripped but apparently stopped by a greater force. Whatever it was it wasn't hunting for food, it was killing for the sake of killing and Bill Ryefen was going to kill it in return.

It left no survivors in its passing, only death and devastation. Nothing but paw prints that reminded him of a bear but he'd never seen paw prints this large before. They were twice the size of a normal bear, if it was even a bear.

A week ago a local mystic revealed her wrong doing, admitting on tresspassing on ground sacred to Old Deadeye but she swore she had made things right. The only good thing was she had destroyed her trail but she paid dearly for her tresspass and was exiled from the village. Much to Bill's displeasure because the next morning they found her torn apart across a well traveled trail. The look of terror on her frozen face enough to make the younger men vomit and the veterens to sit on edge. This was only getting worse...

With little recourse they had to look for the den of this creature and put an end to it. He gathered what men and women he could before setting out with as many arms as they could adequately wield. They had barely covered a few miles before the creature smashed headlong into them. The beast was a bear of immense size, its fur the color of snow and unlike anything he had ever seen. Its body bore the marks of many battles, broken arrow shafts riddled its back and the rage in its eyes told Bill at once that it was mad beyond dealing with.

THe story ends in the same way as your fight had been, short, brutal and with Bill's heroic demise. A chilling line is written on the final blank page.

"Next Target: Village?"

Wallace gets a distant look in his eyes as the glaze over at the end of his speech and for a moment nothing happens. Then he starts bleeding from his side and abdominal area from unknown wounds. As quickly as it begins the bleeding stops but its obvios that he is injured now, from what is unknown.

Mai

Nothing you can think of save for Chimeric creatures fits the possible tracks you found, but whatever it was wasn't winged as their is no indication that it lifted off. Its tracks are very obvious though, so whatever it is its large and heavy.

Rhavenna

The tracks remind you of a bear, but never have you seen paw prints of this size. It was unnatural for them to be this large...


Female Centaur Ranger (Skirmisher/Divine tracker) 4

"Those look like bear tracks, but......a hall of a lot larger than those of any damn bear I've ever seen" Rhavenna says with some degree of alarm. "Wait..what the hell? Wallace, you're bleeding."


1 person marked this as a favorite.

"What'd you do this time?" Maiathreen growls as he shakes his head at his own bizarre conclusions.

351 to 400 of 1,330 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Iobaria: The Fallen Empire All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.