GM Thunderspirit's 5-02: The Wardstone Patrol (Inactive)

Game Master thunderspirit

Ruins of Bedis map

Crusade's End map


1 to 50 of 224 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>

Five-star Hound of Tindalos. Er, GM. Whatever. | RoW Encounter Map |

4-player-adjustment-should-make-this-a-cakewalk,-right? dot.

Sovereign Court

Ulfen Skald 9 HP 93/93 | AC 17 Tch 11 FF 16 | F+12 R+7 W+7 | CMD 23 | Perc +2 | Init +1
Rage:
HP 111/111 | AC 16 Tch 10 FF 15 | F+12 R+7 W+10 | CMD 25
Per Diem:
Spells: 3rd 4/4 2nd 5/5 1st 6/6 | Raging Song: 30/30 | Kenning 1/1 | Lore 1/1 [b]Reroll: Unused

In walks a sandy-haired Ulfen woman dressed in a bespoke adventurer's outfit, a drinking horn in one hand, a book in the other, and a massive greataxe slung across her back. She takes a seat with a deafening belch.

Will-try-really-hard-not-to-die-but-will-at-least-be-drinking dot.

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Investigator 2 (HP: 28/25) (Pool: 0/5), Init: +3, AC: 17 T: 13, FF: 14, Perception +12 (+13 v Traps), F: +3, R: +6, W: +4, CMB: +1, CMD: 14

Behind her is an inquisitive looking elf who can't seem to focus on what's directly in front of him, but is obviously taking in a lot of information. He walks with a cane, but uses it as a prodding device rather than a walking assistant.

Silver Crusade

M Half-Orc Gunslinger (Pistolero) 5 Init +5; HP; 41/41 AC 20 Touch 15 FF 16; Perception 14; Grit 4/4

Shortly behind these two stomps in a tall, lean, & ugly half-orc. Weatherworn, dusty, in well-used equipment (which includes a chain shirt, a buckler on his left arm, and a longsword strapped to his back behind his pack), his eyes are unlike the investigator in that he's clearly focusing on everything in his surroundings. His right hand is never far from the only piece of equipment that is in worn, yet outstanding, condition: his pistol.

His eyes settle on Zosimos, and a rare smile splits his homely face. The half-orc strides over, gives a deep bow, and offers his hand for a wrist-clasp.

Hile, fact-slinger. Didn't know I'd be lucky enough to call ye my dinh on this mission, and I say thankya! Discordia and I'll keep ye safe if it comes to fightin. He says this last with a brief touch of his pistol.

He turns to the woman, sizing her up. He gives her a bow, not as deep as for his old friend, but with no lack of respect.

Hile, Pathfinder. Name's Riegel. And that's a mighty nice axe ye got there.


Five-star Hound of Tindalos. Er, GM. Whatever. | RoW Encounter Map |

Mendev's Pathfinder lodge in the capital city of Nerosyan is housed within Starrise Spire, a defensive tower in the outer wall whose pinnacle glows with celestial light that shines out like a beacon, simultaneously giving comfort to Nerosyan's defenders and acting as a warning to any who might wish the city harm.

Venture-Captain Jorsal of Lauterbury calls a short meeting on a covered balcony overlooking the city. A middle-aged Mwangi man with greying hair, he closes the door to the spire's interior and takes a seat in one of the set-up camp chairs, gesturing for his guests to do the same.

We Pathfinders of Mendev, he states, making a sweeping hand gesture that encompasses everyone present, have our own agendas, but these must sometimes give way to the greater need: the protection of this land and its people from the horrors that dwell in the Worldwound.

We are here by the grace of her majesty, Queen Galfrey of Mendev. Without her support, we would surely be run out of town by Hulrun's more fervent followers. Our agreement with her states that all Pathfinders are required to volunteer some of their time in the defense of the realm. As relative newcomers, I've recommended you to take part in a minor military mission under the command of a veteran crusader named Sir Ilivan of Erages. Although he is not a Pathfinder, you would be wise to follow his advice, as he has been fighting the Abyssal spawn longer than some of you have been alive. I expect you will give him the respect he deserves.


Five-star Hound of Tindalos. Er, GM. Whatever. | RoW Encounter Map |

Venture-Captain Jorsal stands and opens the heavy wooden door leading back into the lodge, revealing a tall half-elven man clad in heavy plate armor, wearing a red tabard typical of the Mendevian Crusaders, and carrying a cavalry helmet in his left hand. He gives a professional nod to Jorsal before striding to the front of the group, surveying everyone with poorly disguised disappointment.

Pathfinders, Sir Ilivan barks in quick staccato without further preamble, the mission is simple. The recent attacks on the wardstones have compromised our defenses, and the enemy presses its advantage. We have received word of attacks on Fort Portolmaeus to the north, but the crusader leadership suspects that other parts of the line may have been breached as well. We will proceed to Fort Portolmaeus tomorrow morning on horseback to assess the damage, using the passphrase "That the Black Prince might be redeemed" to permit us entry. On the way there, we will scout for enemy movements and other signs of demon activity. Once we have completed our assessment, we are to return to Nerosyan and you will be relieved of your obligations to the Crown. Do you have any questions?

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Investigator 2 (HP: 28/25) (Pool: 0/5), Init: +3, AC: 17 T: 13, FF: 14, Perception +12 (+13 v Traps), F: +3, R: +6, W: +4, CMB: +1, CMD: 14

"He's not a Pathfinder, he's not going to try to use us as soldiers is he?" The frail elf looks about nervously. "So our mission is to scout and assess, not engage?"


Five-star Hound of Tindalos. Er, GM. Whatever. | RoW Encounter Map |

Sir Ilivan noticably rolls his eyes at Zosimos' question. This is war, my boy. We will do what is necessary to win that war. He turns to glare at Jorsal as he continues. If you've no stomach for that, I've no use for you.

The Venture-Captain holds up his hand at Sir Ilivan's statement. This mission is reconnaissance, however. He may not be a soldier, but I can assure you, Sir Ilivan, that Zosimos' investigatory skills are significant. At this, the half-elven cavalier nods slightly, though he is clearly not pleased.

Sovereign Court

Ulfen Skald 9 HP 93/93 | AC 17 Tch 11 FF 16 | F+12 R+7 W+7 | CMD 23 | Perc +2 | Init +1
Rage:
HP 111/111 | AC 16 Tch 10 FF 15 | F+12 R+7 W+10 | CMD 25
Per Diem:
Spells: 3rd 4/4 2nd 5/5 1st 6/6 | Raging Song: 30/30 | Kenning 1/1 | Lore 1/1 [b]Reroll: Unused

"You can use me for war," Sündr says proudly, and a little flirtatiously. "Battle is the past-time of the brave."

I will take any and all permissible Knowledge checks. I expect Zosimos will want to do the same. :)


Five-star Hound of Tindalos. Er, GM. Whatever. | RoW Encounter Map |

Oh, yeah, Knowledge checks. Hmm. Can't tell I intro-dumped this late last night, can ya? LOL

DC 10 Kn (history/religion):

The Mendevian Crusades began almost a century ago when a rift to the Abyss opened in the barbarian kingdom of Sarkoris. The church of the goddess Iomedae called the First Crusade, and it was largely a success.

DC 15 Kn (history/religion):

The wardstones are magical menhirs of tremendous power first built during the Second Crusade. They project a powerful field capable of destroying all but the most powerful demons. Built near the banks of the West Sellen and Moutray Rivers, they stopped the expansion of the Worldwound until very recently.

DC 20 Kn (history/religion):

The wardstones recently failed, coinciding with a large attack on Nerosyan (Siege of the Diamond City, for those who've played that one). No doubt the demons are at least indirectly responsible.

DC 25 Kn (history/religion):

Even though the demons of the Worldwound have no central leadership, their most powerful current warlords are the balor Khorramzadeh of Iz, also known as the Storm King, and the marilith Aponavicius, who controls the former crusader city of Drezen far to the north.

DC 10 Diplomacy to gather info/Kn (local):

Sir Ilivan was a smuggler on Lake Encarthan before joining the Mendevian Crusades, a fact he is not ashamed to admit.

DC 15 Diplomacy to gather info/Kn (local):

Sir Ilivan rose from the ranks of the enlisted to become an officer and was knighted by Queen Galfrey.

DC 20 Diplomacy to gather info/Kn (local):

The knight hails from the half-elven settlement of Erages in Kyonin, where he had to endure prejudice and segregation throughout his youth. He later joined Kyonin's military, but ultimately left his homeland after being discharged from this military for striking an elven officer.

DC 25 Diplomacy to gather info/Kn (local):

Sir Ilivan has become increasingly distant in the past few years due to the horrors endured by all soldiers who fight in the Mendevian Crusades. His most devastating experience involved killing a number of fellow soldiers while he was demonically possessed.

Sovereign Court

Ulfen Skald 9 HP 93/93 | AC 17 Tch 11 FF 16 | F+12 R+7 W+7 | CMD 23 | Perc +2 | Init +1
Rage:
HP 111/111 | AC 16 Tch 10 FF 15 | F+12 R+7 W+10 | CMD 25
Per Diem:
Spells: 3rd 4/4 2nd 5/5 1st 6/6 | Raging Song: 30/30 | Kenning 1/1 | Lore 1/1 [b]Reroll: Unused

Know (History): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19
Diplomacy (Gather Info): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12

"Hmm, let's see what I can remember from my Initiate days back at the Grand Lodge... the first crusade launched by Mendev was called by the Church of Iomedae, right? And that was, what, a hundred years ago?" The Ulfen looks at the knight for confirmation as she wracks her brain. "And the wardstones are powerful artifacts that help keep the demonic tide back. What happened to them? Did they break?"

She also learns, presumably from Sir Ilivan himself, that he was a smuggler on Lake Encarthan in his younger days.

Silver Crusade

M Half-Orc Gunslinger (Pistolero) 5 Init +5; HP; 41/41 AC 20 Touch 15 FF 16; Perception 14; Grit 4/4
GM thunderspirit wrote:
He may not be a soldier, but I can assure you, Sir Ilivan, that Zosimos' investigatory skills are significant. At this, the half-elven cavalier nods slightly, though he is clearly not pleased.

Riegel stomps one foot a time or two. Hear him well! A battle may be won before guns are drawn if keen eyes and minds set the field correctly!

Liberty's Edge

Human (Ulfen) Cleric 5

"Well, met lady of the north and gentlemen, I am Yngvar Sundheim at your service and I will offer you my blade in support of this mission. With the fire of Sarenare guiding me, I will assist in whatever military action is needed, but also in matters of healing. Whenever fiends from the Worldwound are involved, the Dawnflower's fire is always needed. I promise to do my part to keep you all alive."

Knowledge, Religion: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8
Knowledge, History: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
Diplomacy, Gather Information: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8

"A breach in the wardstones are of great concern for all of us, and naturally, we must all do our part to hold back this tide of evil! The attack on Nerosyan was unthinkable and we cannot allow such a thing to happen again!"

"Sir Ilivan, if we find any of the wardstone in disrepair, is there anything we can do to secure them and reestablish the protection they offer?"


Five-star Hound of Tindalos. Er, GM. Whatever. | RoW Encounter Map |
Sündr-dögünn wrote:
"And the wardstones are powerful artifacts that help keep the demonic tide back. What happened to them? Did they break?"
Yngvar Sundheim wrote:
"Sir Ilivan, if we find any of the wardstone in disrepair, is there anything we can do to secure them and reestablish the protection they offer?"

They did not break or fall into disrepair; they remain intact, Sir Ilivan says, somewhat irritably. They did stop holding back the demon tide, so perhaps the magic in them faded. He grimaces. Or was sabotaged. At any rate, since the last major attack, the demonic armies have retreated into the Worldwound's interior, occasionally foraying out to engage in skirmishes here and there.

He pauses as if to consider Riegel's words, then turns to face Zosimos with a stern expression. We will most likely face minor demons sent to test the current efficacy of the wardstones. Expect dretches, brimoraks, and possibly schirs. Prepare yourselves accordingly. I suggest getting some cold iron, and something to withstand Mendev's cold nights. You'll each have an outfitted horse at your disposal, should you need one. We leave at dawn tomorrow.

Nerosyan is large enough to buy nearly anything you might need (and can afford). You've got the rest of the day to yourselves, during which...

Sündr-dögünn wrote:
She also learns, presumably from Sir Ilivan himself, that he was a smuggler on Lake Encarthan in his younger days.

Slight correction: she has overheard this scuttlebutt while out and about is Nerosyan.

Liberty's Edge

Human (Ulfen) Cleric 5
Sir Ilivan wrote:
"We will most likely face minor demons sent to test the current efficacy of the wardstones. Expect dretches, brimoraks, and possibly schirs. Prepare yourselves accordingly. I suggest getting some cold iron, and something to withstand Mendev's cold nights. You'll each have an outfitted horse at your disposal, should you need one. We leave at dawn tomorrow."

"Very well, Sir Ilivan. I will be prepared. I have just a few purchases to make."

Yngvar will purchase a Cold Iron Masterwork Heavy Mace (324 gold) and a Cold Weather Outfit (8 gold)

Sovereign Court

Ulfen Skald 9 HP 93/93 | AC 17 Tch 11 FF 16 | F+12 R+7 W+7 | CMD 23 | Perc +2 | Init +1
Rage:
HP 111/111 | AC 16 Tch 10 FF 15 | F+12 R+7 W+10 | CMD 25
Per Diem:
Spells: 3rd 4/4 2nd 5/5 1st 6/6 | Raging Song: 30/30 | Kenning 1/1 | Lore 1/1 [b]Reroll: Unused

Sündr joins Yngvar in visiting the local markets. Cold weather gear, additional trail rations, scroll of comprehend languages and scroll of remove fear. 60gp total.

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Investigator 2 (HP: 28/25) (Pool: 0/5), Init: +3, AC: 17 T: 13, FF: 14, Perception +12 (+13 v Traps), F: +3, R: +6, W: +4, CMB: +1, CMD: 14

Sorry for the delay!

History: 1d20 + 11 + 1d6 ⇒ (10) + 11 + (1) = 22
Religion: 1d20 + 11 + 1d6 ⇒ (12) + 11 + (3) = 26
Local: 1d20 + 11 + 1d6 ⇒ (7) + 11 + (6) = 24

Just Cold Weather Gear for Zo.


Five-star Hound of Tindalos. Er, GM. Whatever. | RoW Encounter Map |

Retro purchases for Riegel if needed.

The patrol route takes you along the River Road, a normally well-used thoroughfare that follows the eastern bank of the West Sellen River. It remains within sight of the river throughout most of the journey, though it turns inland about three hours into the trip. Sir Ilivan turns off of the River Road onto a small, overgrown path that cuts through drooping evergreens.

There is a long-abandoned village ahead, he says without looking at you, probably 40 years empty. Demons have used Bedis as a staging ground in the past. He dismounts and ties his mare to a tree, motioning for you to do the same.

Silver Crusade

M Half-Orc Gunslinger (Pistolero) 5 Init +5; HP; 41/41 AC 20 Touch 15 FF 16; Perception 14; Grit 4/4
GM thunderspirit wrote:
Retro purchases for Riegel if needed.

nope. Nexavarian steel is functionally cold iron; TS I can scan the boon sheet that I got it from if you want to see it. Or take Chris' word, he signed it. Either way...

My gunna will suffice. Let's go

Riegel scans the area as soon as they pitch horses...

perception: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (8) + 13 = 21

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Investigator 2 (HP: 28/25) (Pool: 0/5), Init: +3, AC: 17 T: 13, FF: 14, Perception +12 (+13 v Traps), F: +3, R: +6, W: +4, CMB: +1, CMD: 14

Off line until late tonight.

Sovereign Court

Ulfen Skald 9 HP 93/93 | AC 17 Tch 11 FF 16 | F+12 R+7 W+7 | CMD 23 | Perc +2 | Init +1
Rage:
HP 111/111 | AC 16 Tch 10 FF 15 | F+12 R+7 W+10 | CMD 25
Per Diem:
Spells: 3rd 4/4 2nd 5/5 1st 6/6 | Raging Song: 30/30 | Kenning 1/1 | Lore 1/1 [b]Reroll: Unused

Sense Motive because why not: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28 Sündr stays mounted for a moment and takes a last swig from her horn, gazing at the knight's armored back.


Five-star Hound of Tindalos. Er, GM. Whatever. | RoW Encounter Map |

Riegel sees overgrown fields, erstwhile farms with buildings in various states of decay, and the remnants of some past orchard to be found in a copse of gnarled apple trees striving to eke out an existence along a small rise. Sir Ilivan has looked that direction several times since dismounting.

Sündr:

You get the impression that Sir Ilivan is exasperated by the group chosen to accompany him on this assignment, but that as a dutiful soldier, he is determined to carry out his orders as best he can.

Silver Crusade

M Half-Orc Gunslinger (Pistolero) 5 Init +5; HP; 41/41 AC 20 Touch 15 FF 16; Perception 14; Grit 4/4

DMTS I should point out that Riegel has a Mendevian commendation which he would be wearing--assuming it is/came with a medal--and our current commander would surely notice. Grants +1 to all cha skills vs Mendevian crusaders; might warm him up a tad

Liberty's Edge

Human (Ulfen) Cleric 5

Yngvar dismounts from his horse and ties the reins to a tree. He then pats the steed and begins to look around.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11

Moving up beside the gunslinger, he asks, "So, my friend, do you see any demons? I suspect we are getting closer to the enemy's territory every step we take. I am eager to try my cold iron mace against one of their skulls."

Sovereign Court

Ulfen Skald 9 HP 93/93 | AC 17 Tch 11 FF 16 | F+12 R+7 W+7 | CMD 23 | Perc +2 | Init +1
Rage:
HP 111/111 | AC 16 Tch 10 FF 15 | F+12 R+7 W+10 | CMD 25
Per Diem:
Spells: 3rd 4/4 2nd 5/5 1st 6/6 | Raging Song: 30/30 | Kenning 1/1 | Lore 1/1 [b]Reroll: Unused

"Cheer up, old salt," the skald adds as she ties up her horse. "We may be new, but we're capable fighters. You'll see soon enough!"

"Zo, Riegel, see anything of note over there?" She points where the crusader's gaze falls most often.


Five-star Hound of Tindalos. Er, GM. Whatever. | RoW Encounter Map |

Riegel:
Riegel knows Sir Ilivan has seen the medal, but hasn't commented on it at all.

Sir Ilivan frowns and puts a finger to his lips to silence Sündr, then quietly leads the party up the apple tree hill. Just before reaching the top he crouches, motioning for everyone to drop prone and crawl the rest of the way.

Over the hill lies the remnants of a long-abandoned village near the foot of the hill on the banks of the West Sellen River, its decaying structures slowly melting back into the landscape. Between the hill and the village proper lie flooded fields sectioned off by raised, earthen walkways that converge on a larger, dry area.

MAP

A group of six Mendevian commoners has assembled on the larger, open dry patch in the middle of the fields. Two lie on the ground in obvious pain, while the rest stand in a circle, holding threshes, spades, pitchforks, and other farming implements. A small heap of bodies — dead by all appearances — lies nearby.

As you watch the unsettling scene, another commoner rises up from the pile of bodies and joins the others on the patch of land.

In this particular encounter, I'm gonna have you guys do the rolling. So: Riegel and Zosimos can make Perception checks; and I will also take Kn (planes) checks from those trained.

Sovereign Court

Ulfen Skald 9 HP 93/93 | AC 17 Tch 11 FF 16 | F+12 R+7 W+7 | CMD 23 | Perc +2 | Init +1
Rage:
HP 111/111 | AC 16 Tch 10 FF 15 | F+12 R+7 W+10 | CMD 25
Per Diem:
Spells: 3rd 4/4 2nd 5/5 1st 6/6 | Raging Song: 30/30 | Kenning 1/1 | Lore 1/1 [b]Reroll: Unused

What the what?! Sündr thinks to herself in alarm. Bardic Kn Planes: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10

"This happen often around here?" she whispers sardonically to the crusader, unstrapping her greataxe.

Liberty's Edge

Human (Ulfen) Cleric 5

Knowledge Planes: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

"I do not like the scene of this. Vhy do ve have dead bodies in a pile and vhy do ve have the corpses standing up again? Anyvhere else and I vould think this is the curse of undeath!"

Silver Crusade

M Half-Orc Gunslinger (Pistolero) 5 Init +5; HP; 41/41 AC 20 Touch 15 FF 16; Perception 14; Grit 4/4
Yngvar wrote:
"I do not like the scene of this. Vhy do ve have dead bodies in a pile and vhy do ve have the corpses standing up again? Anyvhere else and I vould think this is the curse of undeath!"

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...

Perception: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (2) + 13 = 15 <--blarg. Bad rolls BEGONE!!!

Note: pistol is currently loaded with regular shot

Liberty's Edge

Human (Ulfen) Cleric 5

"Vhere I come from up north, Ducks make fer very good hunting. Do you have a veapon to put them out of their misery?!"

Yngvar puts his hand on the hilt of his scimitar.

"The Dawnflower's blade is eager to help."

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Investigator 2 (HP: 28/25) (Pool: 0/5), Init: +3, AC: 17 T: 13, FF: 14, Perception +12 (+13 v Traps), F: +3, R: +6, W: +4, CMB: +1, CMD: 14

Perception: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (14) + 12 = 26
The Planes: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29

What Zo does from here depends on the Knowledge rolls. I'll try to have my profile up to date by morning. (BTW Zo has Trapspotter +13.)


Five-star Hound of Tindalos. Er, GM. Whatever. | RoW Encounter Map |

Zosimos:

The Perception check, even at this sub-tier, doesn't reveal anything. >.>

However: the Kn (planes) check is more than sufficient to identify the recently animate corpse as the handiwork of a vermlek, worm-like demons who can crawl into the body of any dead Medium humanoid, consuming and replacing the bulk of the humanoid's skeleton and internal organs as it does so. Once the process is complete, the vermlek appears for all practical purposes to be a living but hideously obese version of the previous humanoid.

Vermleks are outsiders of the chaotic/demon/evil/extraplanar subtypes. They have damage reduction overcome by cold iron or good weapons, and has negative energy affinity (is healed by negative energy and harmed by positive energy as if it were an undead creature).

Liberty's Edge

Human (Ulfen) Cleric 5

"So, do ve think that all of the commoners here are undead or just the one who came from the pile of corpses? I don't like the idea of an entire village succumbing to undeath."

Knowledge Religion: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17

Can Yngvar tell if any or all are undead?

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Investigator 2 (HP: 28/25) (Pool: 0/5), Init: +3, AC: 17 T: 13, FF: 14, Perception +12 (+13 v Traps), F: +3, R: +6, W: +4, CMB: +1, CMD: 14

Zosimos shares the spoiler above whilst retrieving an alchemist's fire.

Liberty's Edge

Human (Ulfen) Cleric 5

"Thank you for the keen insight, Zosimos. I suppose this means that I vill be using my mace imminently. Vell, lady and gentlemen, shall ve put an end to all of this?"

The Ulfen cleric grasps his cold iron mace tightly in his hand.

Sovereign Court

Ulfen Skald 9 HP 93/93 | AC 17 Tch 11 FF 16 | F+12 R+7 W+7 | CMD 23 | Perc +2 | Init +1
Rage:
HP 111/111 | AC 16 Tch 10 FF 15 | F+12 R+7 W+10 | CMD 25
Per Diem:
Spells: 3rd 4/4 2nd 5/5 1st 6/6 | Raging Song: 30/30 | Kenning 1/1 | Lore 1/1 [b]Reroll: Unused

"Vermlek. Bleh." Sündr spits. "Nasty business. So, Sir Ilivan, got a plan? Would you mind if Riegel took the first shot, and I charged?" Setting her axe back into place, she retrieves her morningstar. Its cool black metal glints softly in the unnatural twilight.


Five-star Hound of Tindalos. Er, GM. Whatever. | RoW Encounter Map |

Sorry, guys, have been a bit under the weather past couple of days.

Sir Ilivan doesn't seem to have noticed the conversation around you, but shakes his head when Sündr asks about a plan. Plan? Here's the plan: we return to our mission. This band of commoners isn't it. No army here, so we're done. Back don the hill and to the horses.

Sovereign Court

Ulfen Skald 9 HP 93/93 | AC 17 Tch 11 FF 16 | F+12 R+7 W+7 | CMD 23 | Perc +2 | Init +1
Rage:
HP 111/111 | AC 16 Tch 10 FF 15 | F+12 R+7 W+10 | CMD 25
Per Diem:
Spells: 3rd 4/4 2nd 5/5 1st 6/6 | Raging Song: 30/30 | Kenning 1/1 | Lore 1/1 [b]Reroll: Unused

Sündr stares back incredulously. "We're shying away from a fight? ... Hang on, you don't think it's a problem that these commoners are growing undead from a pile of corpses?!"


Five-star Hound of Tindalos. Er, GM. Whatever. | RoW Encounter Map |

First of all, they're commoners, Sir Ilivan replies, heading back down the hillock. Second, I've seen a great many people in these parts actually helping the demons — I see no reason to assist willing collaborators. Third, this isn't our mission; our mission is Fort Portolmaeus.

He looks back expectantly. Besides which, well, they're commoners. Let's go.

Liberty's Edge

Human (Ulfen) Cleric 5

Yngvar casts guidance on himself and then proceeds to talk Ilivan into attacking.

"I beg your pardon, Sir Ilivan, but if you want to vin this var, I suggest you start aiding commoners. You cannot expect them to fight for you if you do not do the same for them. Now grab your veapon and ve shall put an end to this madness. Besides, I think my mace needs put to the test. Now, join me and let us put this demon out of its misery!"

Aid at Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 7 + 1 = 16

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Investigator 2 (HP: 28/25) (Pool: 0/5), Init: +3, AC: 17 T: 13, FF: 14, Perception +12 (+13 v Traps), F: +3, R: +6, W: +4, CMB: +1, CMD: 14

Does he look like this is pulling on his heartstrings at all? (Sensing to see if he's being charmed, etc.) Sense Motive: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16

"Isn't this what we are fighting for? If not for those who supply us with food and cloth, then who? I understand your focus, but we cannot loose sight of the why. I beseech thee sir, let us help. Between the tactical advantage of preventing a Vermleck threat, the strategic advantage of protecting those who make the Crusade machine function, and the honor of remembering for whom we fight, there is no reason to leave these folk behind."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25


Five-star Hound of Tindalos. Er, GM. Whatever. | RoW Encounter Map |

Zosimos:

You believe Sir Ilivan to be in control of his own actions.

The half-elf pauses a moment as if considering the words of Yngvar and Zosimos. Finally he looks back at them, a look of empathy in his eyes. Perhaps you are correct that ignoring their plight is callous, he muses aloud. I will not prevent you from interfering.

He straightens and continues. However, I cannot allow anything to keep me from completing this mission. I will give you ten minutes — no more — to meet me at the horses. He turns away and strides off toward the River Road.

Sovereign Court

Ulfen Skald 9 HP 93/93 | AC 17 Tch 11 FF 16 | F+12 R+7 W+7 | CMD 23 | Perc +2 | Init +1
Rage:
HP 111/111 | AC 16 Tch 10 FF 15 | F+12 R+7 W+10 | CMD 25
Per Diem:
Spells: 3rd 4/4 2nd 5/5 1st 6/6 | Raging Song: 30/30 | Kenning 1/1 | Lore 1/1 [b]Reroll: Unused

...did he just split the party?

Ten sail says we find him dead in a few minutes.

"Riegel, care to take the first shot? Aim for the fat one."

Silver Crusade

M Half-Orc Gunslinger (Pistolero) 5 Init +5; HP; 41/41 AC 20 Touch 15 FF 16; Perception 14; Grit 4/4

While the conversation unfolds, Riegel unloads his pistol and reloads with a Nexevarian steel shell. (I'll refer to the loads as NS in the future, for when I have to post from my phone!)

He sees the knight leaving, and he snorts and shakes his head, but makes no further comment.

Let's take care of these monsters quickly. I'll lead with a shot as Sundr says. That'll be your signal to charge, say thankya.

The gunslinger moves to the bottom of a hillock, and starts to maneuver closer (trying to get within 20' for his shot) and slightly north, to present a clear path for the melee guys.

moved pog to where I'd like to get to, if I can...

Sovereign Court

Ulfen Skald 9 HP 93/93 | AC 17 Tch 11 FF 16 | F+12 R+7 W+7 | CMD 23 | Perc +2 | Init +1
Rage:
HP 111/111 | AC 16 Tch 10 FF 15 | F+12 R+7 W+10 | CMD 25
Per Diem:
Spells: 3rd 4/4 2nd 5/5 1st 6/6 | Raging Song: 30/30 | Kenning 1/1 | Lore 1/1 [b]Reroll: Unused

Sündr follows Riegel on his approach. When he stops and takes aim, she gets ready to sing.

Readied Action:

Begin a raging song as a standard action.


Five-star Hound of Tindalos. Er, GM. Whatever. | RoW Encounter Map |

Okay, so everyone can make a Stealth check to trigger a surprise round — I'll allow the loading out of initiative; but Sündr, you can't ready an action outside of combat — and then we'll go in order.

baddies: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (16) - 1 = 15
Riegel: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15
Sündr: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15
Yngvar: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (9) + 0 = 9
Zosimos: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19


Five-star Hound of Tindalos. Er, GM. Whatever. | RoW Encounter Map |

Init repost:
Zosimos
Riegel
Sündr
baddies
Ungvar

Stealth checks for a surprise round, please!

Sovereign Court

Ulfen Skald 9 HP 93/93 | AC 17 Tch 11 FF 16 | F+12 R+7 W+7 | CMD 23 | Perc +2 | Init +1
Rage:
HP 111/111 | AC 16 Tch 10 FF 15 | F+12 R+7 W+10 | CMD 25
Per Diem:
Spells: 3rd 4/4 2nd 5/5 1st 6/6 | Raging Song: 30/30 | Kenning 1/1 | Lore 1/1 [b]Reroll: Unused

Ah okay, thanks! Stealth: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Investigator 2 (HP: 28/25) (Pool: 0/5), Init: +3, AC: 17 T: 13, FF: 14, Perception +12 (+13 v Traps), F: +3, R: +6, W: +4, CMB: +1, CMD: 14

Stealth: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24

If I get it, I'll move to the place located on the map.


Five-star Hound of Tindalos. Er, GM. Whatever. | RoW Encounter Map |

Mini-update: Sündr made the check, if that gives you an idea of the DC. :-D

1 to 50 of 224 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Thunderspirit's 5-02: The Wardstone Patrol All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.