GM Samy's Humble Bundle Game (Inactive)

Game Master Samy


1 to 50 of 96 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Liberty's Edge

Female Human Commoner 1

This thread for out-of-character discussion.

The first thing we need for you guys are characters. Three of the most important things we start with are:

* Ability scores. Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma. These range from 3 to 18, and higher is better. 10-11 is human average level. In Pathfinder, there are two main ways of generating ability scores, they can either be rolled with dice, or you get a certain amount of points that you can distribute. For the sake of exercise, I am going to let you try both, and pick whichever you like best.

* Races. As I mentioned before, I recommend human because it has the least amount of special ability mechanics to learn Check the Races section of the core rules on the PRD or in the Core Rulebook PDF if you have managed to download it. You may pick other than human if you want to.

* Classes. This is in many ways the most important choice that determines the majority of your special abilities. In the core rules there are 11 classes. For a beginner, I would recommend (but not as strongly as I recommend the human race) picking a class without spellcasting at level 1, because getting to grip with the dozens of spells available requires a lot of reading. These simpler classes would be barbarian, fighter, monk, paladin, ranger and rogue. If you think you would enjoy reading through a bunch of spells and their descriptions, the classes that cast spells from the beginning of their career are bard, cleric, druid, sorcerer and wizard, but these do require more study.

So, to start, I want from each of you ability scores, race and class. For the first, we get to try out the dice rolling system on Paizo forums. Put in your post the following, except change round brackets to square brackets:

(dice)4d6(/dice)
(dice)4d6(/dice)
(dice)4d6(/dice)
(dice)4d6(/dice)
(dice)4d6(/dice)
(dice)4d6(/dice)

From each roll, take the three highest and total them for your final score (or deduct the lowest). This gives you six numbers between 3 and 18. You may assign them to the six ability scores as you will.

Then you may also do a point buy version of the character. You get 20 "points" -- these do not directly map to ability score points, but rather each ability starts from 10, and the cost gets bigger the higher you go, as per Table: Ability Score Costs.

Different ability scores are more useful to different classes, for example a paladin can use a high Charisma, rogues often use Dexterity, Wizards love Intelligence and so on.

So in order to decide which numbers go in which ability, you'll also need to think about which class you want to be. Okay, this is a lot of reading for now, let's get you guys started on doing some. Roll ability scores, and think about your classes. I will give more advice as we go. Ask questions!

Liberty's Edge

Female Human Commoner 1

If you have time and energy, I recommend taking a look at Painlord's play-by-post advice.


4d6 ⇒ (4, 2, 5, 5) = 16 14
4d6 ⇒ (4, 3, 3, 3) = 13 10
4d6 ⇒ (4, 6, 3, 6) = 19 16
4d6 ⇒ (6, 3, 2, 3) = 14 12
4d6 ⇒ (1, 6, 6, 4) = 17 16
4d6 ⇒ (5, 1, 5, 2) = 13 12

I would like to play a half-elf ranger with stats like these:
STR 12
DEX 18 (16+2 racial bonus)
CON 10
INT 16
WIS 14
CHA 12

If you guys have feedback or anything for me, I'd appreciate it.


oops. i didnt realize there was a new thread. Can we use my original rolls here from the other thread , DM Samy? I really liked those rolls lol

Liberty's Edge

Female Human Commoner 1

Certainly, no problem.


I think I am going to go with a Human Ranger.

I think I will go with the following stats that I rolled:

STR 12
DEX 15 +2 (Racial Ability)
CON 15
INT 15
WIS 13
CHA 12

If you think I should adjust any of those to better outfit a Ranger let me know. It looks like Rangers can specialize in either Archer or Two Handed Combat. I plan to specialize in Archery.


Ah, didnt see Poly's post yet. I can choose something else.


I was wanting to use an alternative racial ability for humans listed in the SRD. Its Dual Talent , in which I forgo my human bonus feat, and bonus skills at each level, I get an additional +2 racial bonus to a stat (cant stack both). Here is my character sheet thus far if thats ok:

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=734583


Ok- I will be the Fighter.

STR 15 + 2 Racial Ability
DEX 15
CON 15
INT 13
WIS 12
CHA 12

Thanks for the Link to the online sheet Sickles. I went ahead and created one as well. Still filling it all the way out. Here is what I have so far.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=734653


http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=734673

Rolling for HP
1d10 ⇒ 2

2. Excellent. Hope my reflexes can save me.

Rolling for gold
5d6 ⇒ (4, 2, 3, 3, 5) = 17
17x10=170gp
Longbow -75gp
Arrows -1gp
Handaxe -6gp
Studded Leather Armor -25gp
Light Wooden Shield -3gp
Plus a backpack, bedroll, flask, flint and steel, 5 candles and 5 days of trail rations leaves me with 53 gold and some change.

Liberty's Edge

Female Human Commoner 1

Sickles, the Dual Talent is perfectly fine.

Polyfemous, yes, you really have 9 skill points per level. It may seem a lot, but you picked a particularly good combination for skillfulness. Rangers have 6 skill points per level which is one of the highest, and on top of that you have a high Intelligence as well which gives bonus skill points. So yes, with that combination, you get to pick a wide variety of skills to be good at. :)

Everything looks great so far, keep at it and ask me any questions you like.

Liberty's Edge

Female Human Commoner 1

In Pathfinder you automatically get maximum hit points at first level, so no need to roll hit points at level 1, you just automatically get the highest for your hit die.


Samy wrote:
In Pathfinder you automatically get maximum hit points at first level, so no need to roll hit points at level 1, you just automatically get the highest for your hit die.

Oh thank goodness. Thanks for catching that.

Liberty's Edge

Female Human Commoner 1

Ietsuna, the dice gods hated you, but you still have the option of taking the 20 point buy as well, which will give you better stats than you rolled. :)

Liberty's Edge

Ietsuna's PFS Played Register | GM Ietsuna's PFS GM'd Register

Might go human monk.

Stat points like this (with values)

15 (7 points)
14 (5 points)
13 (3 points)
13 (3 points)
13 (3 points)
9 (-1 points)

I would like to assign them thusly

Str 17 (15+2 racial)
Wis 14
Dex 13
Con 13
Int 13
Cha 9


4d6 ⇒ (2, 1, 2, 5) = 10 => 9
4d6 ⇒ (5, 4, 6, 5) = 20 => 16
4d6 ⇒ (4, 4, 5, 3) = 16 => 13
4d6 ⇒ (2, 4, 1, 1) = 8 => 7
4d6 ⇒ (4, 1, 5, 6) = 16 => 15
4d6 ⇒ (3, 6, 6, 5) = 20 => 17

I would like to play a human rogue with the following stats:

STR => 9
DEX => 17
CON => 16
INT => 9 (7 + 2 racial)
WIS => 13
CHA => 15

Liberty's Edge

Female Human Commoner 1

So this is where we currently stand, I believe -- and don't worry, nothing is set in stone, you can still change if you have second thoughts, or if I got anything wrong.

Sickles - Tomak Bluehorn, male human paladin
Michael Raaf - Tule Falk, human fighter
Polyfamous - Markas Joysword, male half-elf ranger
Ietsuna - human monk
Maglevdude - human rogue


Hey Sammy, I am filling out a full character sheet now. Does it matter what deity I choose to follow as a rogue?


Rolling for wealth:
4d6 ⇒ (6, 1, 4, 4) = 15

15*10=> 150gp

Stuff I bought:

backpack => 2gp
blanket => 5sp
(7) trail rations => 35gp
haramaki => 3gp
padded armor => 5gp
dagger => 2gp
light crossbow => 35gp
crossbow bolts => 1gp
dungeoneering kit => 15gp
water skin => 1gp
thieves tools => 30gp

This leaves me with 23gp and 4sp.


DM, are we doing character traits and flaws ?

wealth roll for paladin

5d6 ⇒ (3, 3, 3, 5, 2) = 16

16 x10 = 160

Liberty's Edge

Female Human Commoner 1

No traits/flaws. Just keeping it simple.


GM, Can I wear both padded armor and a Haramaki at the same time?


http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=734673
I should be good to go, I think. I've assigned all my skill ranks, taken my 1st level feat, bought my starting kit and let the magic of science calculate all my mods.


http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=734849

Here is the character sheet for my character Petian Runehouse. At the moment I have placed the Haramaki in the shield slot because I could not find any other armor spot.


Rolling for Starting Gold: 5d6 ⇒ (2, 1, 3, 5, 6) = 17
17x10=170

Liberty's Edge

Ietsuna's PFS Played Register | GM Ietsuna's PFS GM'd Register

Rolling for starting gold. Please look kindly upon my dice gods.

1d6 ⇒ 2

20g it is.


Age: 1d6 + 15 ⇒ (3) + 15 = 18

Height/Weight: 2d10 ⇒ (10, 1) = 11

Height= 4ft 10in + 11 = 5ft 9in

Weight= 120lbs + (11x5) = 175lbs

Liberty's Edge

Ietsuna's PFS Played Register | GM Ietsuna's PFS GM'd Register

Ok, I'll bite. Rolling for age, weight, height. At this rate I'll end up a tall fat monk who looks like a sumo.

Age: 2d6 + 15 ⇒ (5, 5) + 15 = 25
Height/Weight: 2d10 ⇒ (7, 2) = 9

Height = 4ft 10in + = 5ft 7in

Weight = 120lbs + (9x5) = 165lbs


Samy wrote:
In Pathfinder you automatically get maximum hit points at first level, so no need to roll hit points at level 1, you just automatically get the highest for your hit die.

Samy,

Do we add our CON modifier for our starting HP or is it just max hit dice?

Liberty's Edge

Ietsuna's PFS Played Register | GM Ietsuna's PFS GM'd Register

Add your CON modifier and your favored class bonus (if you take the +1HP instead of +1 skill point).

Liberty's Edge

Female Human Commoner 1

Right, hit points you get your Con modifier.

And right, don't forget your favored class bonus, which also gives you either a valuable +1hp, or in some builds equally valuable +1sp. Have to pick one or the other.

As far as I'm concerned, you don't need to roll your height/weight, but you can of course if you prefer to.

Maglevdude, I think haramaki is just one type of armor, so you would have to choose whether you get the stats from the padded *or* the haramaki -- they don't combine.

Liberty's Edge

Ietsuna's PFS Played Register | GM Ietsuna's PFS GM'd Register

I'm not up with all this new-fangled online character sheet stuff, so I will make an alias and throw it up soon.


Alright, I think my character is complete and ready. Here is my character sheet for anyone to review and make any corrections or suggestions.

Tulle Falk


Samy wrote:

Right, hit points you get your Con modifier.

And right, don't forget your favored class bonus, which also gives you either a valuable +1hp, or in some builds equally valuable +1sp. Have to pick one or the other.

As far as I'm concerned, you don't need to roll your height/weight, but you can of course if you prefer to.

Maglevdude, I think haramaki is just one type of armor, so you would have to choose whether you get the stats from the padded *or* the haramaki -- they don't combine.

Ok thanks Samy,

I have made the appropriate corrections to my sheet. I believe Petian is now complete, do I need to make an alias or will the online character sheet suffice?

Petian Runehouse


Maglev,

In the spirit of understanding the game more myself I was looking at your character sheet. I noticed you had skills that were quite high (12 in acrobatics). My understanding is that you cannot rank a skill higher than your current level. See in the skills area on the upper right it tells you what your max rank is.

I also am unsure of where the miscellaneous modifier is coming from. It looks like you may have intended to give your class skills a +3, but the character sheet already does that when you select the skill as a character class.

Hope that is constructive, let me know if I misunderstood the rulebook and feel free to let me know if you see anything off on my character sheet.


Michael Raaf wrote:

Maglev,

In the spirit of understanding the game more myself I was looking at your character sheet. I noticed you had skills that were quite high (12 in acrobatics). My understanding is that you cannot rank a skill higher than your current level. See in the skills area on the upper right it tells you what your max rank is.

I also am unsure of where the miscellaneous modifier is coming from. It looks like you may have intended to give your class skills a +3, but the character sheet already does that when you select the skill as a character class.

Hope that is constructive, let me know if I misunderstood the rulebook and feel free to let me know if you see anything off on my character sheet.

Thanks for the heads up Michael,

I was using this page to help me build my character and it never mentioned anything about a max ranks. Upon your advice I looked it up in the rule book, and that max number is not based off of current level but number of hit dies a character has.

I also did not realize the digital sheet auto included the +3 bonus for a class skill. All told I really appreciate the help, and you will be seeing a revised sheet very shortly.


Character adjusted to fix the skills problem.
Petian Runehouse


Maglev,

Looks like an interesting post to help with all the blocks on this sheet.

On the skills I still think there are two things that need adjusted. DM can speak up if I'm incorrect.

The online reference lists:
"Step 4—Pick Skills and Select Feats: Determine the number of skill ranks possessed by your character, based on his class and Intelligence modifier (and any other bonuses, such as the bonus received by humans). Then spend these ranks on skills, but remember that you cannot have more ranks than your level in any one skill (for a starting character, this is usually one). After skills, determine how many feats your character receives, based on his class and level, and select them from those presented in Feats."

The first thing I notice here is that you get to select the number of skills equal to your class and intelligence modifier. So for you that should be 8. 1 for being human, 8 for being a rogue and -1 for your INT modifier. So I believe you can only add 8 skill ranks as a lvl 1 character. It looks like on your character sheet you have 28 skill ranks added. I think the confusing bit for me was that just because I have a class skill in climbing doesn't mean I have a class rank in it. But when I do add a class rank to it I get a score of 4. Does that make sense?

The other thing in that reference is the reference on the max skill rank. Do you know where you read that it is related to your hit dice?


Michael Raaf wrote:

Maglev,

Looks like an interesting post to help with all the blocks on this sheet.

On the skills I still think there are two things that need adjusted. DM can speak up if I'm incorrect.

The online reference lists:
"Step 4—Pick Skills and Select Feats: Determine the number of skill ranks possessed by your character, based on his class and Intelligence modifier (and any other bonuses, such as the bonus received by humans). Then spend these ranks on skills, but remember that you cannot have more ranks than your level in any one skill (for a starting character, this is usually one). After skills, determine how many feats your character receives, based on his class and level, and select them from those presented in Feats."

The first thing I notice here is that you get to select the number of skills equal to your class and intelligence modifier. So for you that should be 8. 1 for being human, 8 for being a rogue and -1 for your INT modifier. So I believe you can only add 8 skill ranks as a lvl 1 character. It looks like on your character sheet you have 28 skill ranks added. I think the confusing bit for me was that just because I have a class skill in climbing doesn't mean I have a class rank in it. But when I do add a class rank to it I get a score of 4. Does that make sense?

The other thing in that reference is the reference on the max skill rank. Do you know where you read that it is related to your hit dice?

Once again I owe you thanks Michael,

I got 28 skills because according to the source "Each class gets a certain number of skill points per level, modified by Intelligence, and four times this number at 1st-level."; However this is not what the core rule book says at all.

I found the reference to the max skills on page 86 of the core rule book. I think my best bet at this point is to just use the core rule book and not my other reference, from this point forward.

Here is the link to my updated character:
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=734849

Liberty's Edge

Ietsuna's PFS Played Register | GM Ietsuna's PFS GM'd Register

See alias for Adokul the Monk


OK, I am working on my character, any requests for what I should play?

I guess I should roll to see what I am working with.

4d6 ⇒ (2, 1, 6, 2) = 11=>10
4d6 ⇒ (6, 5, 4, 3) = 18=>15
4d6 ⇒ (3, 5, 1, 1) = 10=>9
4d6 ⇒ (1, 3, 6, 6) = 16=>15
4d6 ⇒ (2, 1, 2, 4) = 9=>8
4d6 ⇒ (2, 1, 2, 4) = 9=>8

Looks like I may be learning about the 20 point rule...


MCCL,

Welcome!

Maybe a barbarian would round out our party of non magic users.

Liberty's Edge

Female Human Commoner 1
Maglevdude wrote:
I got 28 skills because according to the source "Each class gets a certain number of skill points per level, modified by Intelligence, and four times this number at 1st-level."; However this is not what the core rule book says at all.

This is a change that was made from D&D 3rd edition to Pathfinder, so it sounds like your original source was a 3e reference rather than a Pathfinder one.

D&D3e: class+int times four
PF: class+int, no multiplication

Classes provide 2-8 skill points, and then the intelligence modifier (which may be negative and thus deduct skill points). Humans also get an extra +1. And finally your main (favored) class gets to choose either +1hp or +1sp, so that may factor in as well.

You may only put 1sp/level into any one skill, so at first level if you have for example 6 skill points, they should be distributed into 6 different skills, because none may have more than 1.

The final bonus of the skill may be higher than that 1, of course, because you also add in the related ability modifier, class skills get an additional +3, some races have skill bonuses, and feats exist to give additional bonuses as well.

Does this help?

If you have managed to download the Strategy Guide, it is extremely helpful with first level setup stuff.

It would be useful if you would all, in addition to the Myth-Weaver sheet, create messageboard aliases. (Top of the page>My Account>Messageboard Aliases>Create New Alias)


Thank you for the explanation Samy,

I have chosen to add the extra +1hp to my character, so now Petian has a total health of 12. I have also gone and created an alias for him on Paizo.
You can find it here.


I was looking at that or going with a wizard to give us some magic. Thoughts? Either way he is getting done tonight...


MCCL,

A magic user would be great. I was thinking about it as well, but thought simple might be better for my first play through.


Just touching base. Been abit busy. Will polish my character to finish soon


I created an alias and loaded my data in. I kinda like the cleaner look of putting my data there rather than a character sheet. Not sure which one I should maintain or maybe both?

Heres the link Tulle

GM, would you like us to begin posting as our avatar or should we only post as them in the Campaign Tab?

Liberty's Edge

Female Human Commoner 1

Thanks for all your hard work guys. Any open questions that I've missed? Has anything been unclear in the character generation? Anything you'd particularly like opinions or advice on?

Michael, in the discussion thread I don't care which alias you use to post as; you may do it either way you like.

Liberty's Edge

Ietsuna's PFS Played Register | GM Ietsuna's PFS GM'd Register

I am fairly happy. No unanswered questions at this stage.

1 to 50 of 96 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post Discussion / GM Samy's Humble Bundle Discussion All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.