GM Lorenzo's PFS-Sanctioned Module: Daughters of Fury (Inactive)

Game Master Lawrence Smith 2

Map, Handouts, and More!
Spell & AoE Templates


1 to 50 of 1,595 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

PFS Sanctioned Module: Daughters of Fury
There are three parts, with a chronicle sheet for each and a fourth for PCs that complete all three chapters. Part 1 is for PCs levels 2-4.

When devils slay the knightly leader of Arwyll Stead and orcs from the Hell's Fury tribe attack the town, all hope seems lost for the brave people living on Lastwall's border. The coincidental arrival of the mysterious half-orc Vegazi also raises unsettling questions, and it's up to the heroes to make sense of these events and end the Hell's Fury tribe's threat to Arwyll Stead once and for all. What does Vegazi have to do with the raiders' diabolical plot? Who will rally Arwyll Stead now that the town's icon has been cut down? And who is the mastermind orchestrating the orc tribe's alliance with devils from beyond?

Daughters of Fury is a deluxe adventure for 3rd-level characters, and includes 64 action-packed pages of exciting battles, enticing social encounters, and new monstrous foes, plus a gorgeous double-sided poster map featuring an overview of Arwyll Stead and a miniatures-scale battlemap! The author of this adventure, Victoria Jaczko, was the winner of the 2014 RPG Superstar contest, in which hundreds of unpublished authors compete for the chance to write a Pathfinder Module, and in addition to her adventure, this book contains a host of new monsters and magic items designed by the contest's runners-up.

Players can expect to reach 6th level upon completion of this adventure—if they can survive the onslaught of hell-tainted orcs and deadly devils!

---

This is a closed campaign.

Instructions: Once you have been accepted into the party by the GM, please "ninja-dot" here in order to enter this scenario into the list of your campaign threads.

PbP TIP: To "ninja-dot," post on this thread, and immediately afterword, delete the post. Why? To keep the campaign thread clear of unnecessary clutter. Clutter belongs on the discussion thread, instead.

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

You answer the terse summons to the Temple of the Shining Star in Absalom’s Ascendant Court. Ollysta Zadrian, paladin of Sarenrae, meets you in her Spartan quarters, more understated and sparsely furnished monastic cell than the home of one of the Pathfinder Society’s most accomplished Venture-Captains.

She wastes no time getting to the point. "A messenger delivered a request for assistance from Evni Zongnoss, our Venture-Captain in Vigil. She is concerned about reports of unusual orc activity and sightings of devils in the borderlands of the Hold of Belkzen, Ustalav, and Lastwall. She requested we assign a team of field agents to her lodge to investigate the reports.”

Apparently, your consent was never in doubt. ”Your travel to Vigil is already arranged. You depart tomorrow morning. Report to Venture-Captain Zongnoss. Provide her whatever assistance she requires. Explore, report, and cooperate.”

As you exit her office, the paladin calls out, ”And above all, do some good. Good luck, Pathfinders.”

Knowledge (planes) DC10 re Devils:
Devils are lawful evil outsiders that hail from the plane of Hell. Devils possess a particular suite of traits.
• Immunity to fire and poison.
• Resistance to acid 10 and cold 10.
• Some devils can see perfectly in darkness of any kind, even that created by a deeper darkness spell.
• Devils share the ability to summon others of their kind, typically another of their type or a small number of less-powerful devils.
• Telepathy.
• Devils speak Celestial, Draconic, and Infernal.
• A devil's natural weapons, as well as any weapons it wields, are treated as lawful and evil.

Knowledge (local) DC10 re Orcs:
Along with their brute strength and comparatively low intellect, the primary difference between orcs and the civilized humanoids is their attitude. As a culture, orcs are violent and aggressive, with the strongest ruling the rest through fear and brutality. They take what they want by force, and think nothing of slaughtering or enslaving entire villages when they can get away with it. They have little time for niceties or details, and their camps and villages tend to be filthy, ramshackle affairs filled with drunken brawls, pit fights, and other sadistic entertainment. Lacking the patience for farming and only able to shepherd the most robust and self-sufficient animals, orcs almost always find it easier to take what someone else has built than to create things themselves. They are arrogant and quick to anger when challenged, but only worry about honor so far as it directly benefits them to do so.
An adult male orc is roughly 6 feet tall and 210 pounds. Orcs and humans interbreed frequently, though this is almost always the result of raids and slave-taking rather than consensual unions. Many orc tribes purposefully breed for half-orcs and raise them as their own, as the smarter progeny make excellent strategists and leaders for their tribes.

Knowledge (geography, history, local) or Diplomacy (gather information) DC10 re Vigil, Lastwall, Hold of Belkzen:

Vigil is not only a mighty fortress that draws warriors of good like a beacon, it is also the capital of the country of Lastwall, and a city of music, joy, and faith. It's a small city with a population of 9,780.

Lastwall was founded in the 39th century AR with a single purpose in mind: to keep watch over the prison of the Whispering Tyrant in Gallowspire just to the north. This ancient purpose still drives much of life in the nation today, as its inhabitants work to ensure that the lich and the other nearby evils will never menace the people of Avistan again.
Since the end of the Shining Crusade, Lastwall has stayed true to its purpose, standing guard against the undead horrors of Ustalav and the savage orc hordes from the Hold of Belkzen. Both are tenacious foes and require constant vigilance in order to contain them.[5] The orcs in particular have proven particularly troublesome for the last 700 years, having pushed back the borders of Lastwall three times since its founding.

Belkzen is an unforgiving wasteland filled with shrub brush, steep mountains, and uneven badlands, where water is scarce and generally limited to the seasonal Flood Road.
While orcs can be found throughout Golarion, nowhere else are they as plentiful or live in as densely populated settlements as in the Hold of Belkzen (pronounced BEHLK-zen).

Liberty's Edge

Human Male Unch Rogue 5 | AC 18*/17 (T 16*/Fl 12) | hp 28/28 | Init +4 | Fort +1 Ref +8 Will +2 | Perception +9 | Wands: CLW (44) | Mage Armour (44) | Bless Weapon (44) | Conditions: *Combat Expertise; Armor (AC 20*);

Un Know Planes: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Know Local re:orcs: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24
Know Local re: Vigil: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26

Bishop walks out with the others after being curtly dismissed by the Venture Captain. "She wastes no times with words. I guess our questions will need to be answered until we reach Lastwall and find this Evni Zongnoss.

I know little of these devils, but the orcs of that region take what they can take and have little care for anything they see weaker than themselves. No doubt their code of honour is no code at all but only used as a means to a purpose when it serves them. The amount of offspring begot from their raids on the surrounding villages only makes me shake my head at the thought of these women being enslaved for the purpose of birthing these half orcs.

Of Vigil I have heard that it is relatively small. Truly it is more a fortress and a beacon for warriors of good. This makes sense when one considers that it was built with the sole purpose to keep watch over the Whispering Tyrant in the north. Amusingly enough the city still exists with that purpose even if it was almost 900 years ago since the crusade that saw the Whispering Tyrant locked away in Gallowspire.

Lastwall still keeps busy with rampaging orcs from Belkzen's Hold and undead from Ustalav. Belkzen is a wasteland filled with shrub brush, steep mountains, and uneven badlands, where water is scarce and generally limited to the seasonal Flood Road. It is almost home to greatest number of orcs in Golarion."

Bishop adjusts his colourful yellow cloak and as he does so you see a set of daggers at his side. He looks at each you and you can't help but notice how his unusual yellow eyes on his dark skin give him the appearance of an exotic cat. "Introductions are in order since it is likely we will be spending many days with one another. I am Bishop. The Dark Augur. Sometimes blessed with the foresight of the Great Dreamer." At the mention of the Great Dreamer you see him reflexively put a hand on a pouch that hangs about his neck. "No doubt she will give me vision that will help us along our way."

Liberty's Edge

”Jirelle” | Female CG Half-Elf Swashbuckler 4 | HP 40/40 | AC 22, T 16, FF 16 | CMD 19 | F +4 R +9 W +5 (+2 vs. enchantments, charms, compulsions) | Init +6 (+4 without panache) | Perc +10 | Speed 30ft | panache 2/2; charmed life 3/3 | Active Conditions: None

Know. Planes (Untrained) Re: Devils: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (6) + 0 = 6
Know. Local Re: Orcs: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11
Know. Local Re: Area: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20

"Ha! You know your stuff, my friend!" The tall half-elf woman says to Bishop as she claps him on the back in a friendly manner, "I'm Jirelle! Sometimes blessed with the constitution of the Drunken Hero." She smiles and adds, "And since we don't leave until tomorrow, I intend to demonstrate that fact while as we get better acquainted tonight." She looks around at her new companions, the preponderance of rapiers of varying design clinking softly around her waist, "First round's on me, I'm just dying to know who I've been teamed up with this time! Are you all bookish like Bishop here, or are you people of action like me?"

Jirelle doesn't let on that she knows pretty much everything that Bishop does about orcs and the area in question, but she does say, "Orcs are boring, they have an uncanny knack of underestimating the value of skill over brute force; makes them almost too easy to fight. The undead are even worse! So easy to hit, but you have to stab them soo many times it just..." She stifles a yawn, "But devils! Now I bet they're fun to play with." She smiles and nods, staring off in the middle distance and daydreaming about a glorious and heroic looking battle full of skill and grace.

Sovereign Court

CG Elf Arcanist 8 | HP: 58/58 | AC: 13 (T: 13, F: 10) | CMB: +3, CMD: 16 | F: +5, R: +6, W: +8 | Init: +9 | Perc: +11 | Speed 30 | Arcane Reservoir remaining: 7/11 | Low-light vision | Reroll | Conditions: Sickened

Kn (Planes): 1d20 ⇒ 12
Kn Orcs: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16
Kn Vigil, Belkzen: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22

"Dreadful, just dreadful," an elf exclaims as he overhears Bishop's recollection of the orcs of Belkzen. "It's bad enough that we'll be venturing into THE orc headquarters, but can you imagine the smell of the place?!" He holds his nose as he continues.

Turning to Bishop and Jirelle, Erlathan performs a "bow," that is, he lazily tilts his torso about twenty degrees forward from his hips before retreating upright. "I suppose even the most mysterious of travelers make successful Pathfinder agents. Greetings, Bishop, Jirelle. I'm Erlathan. Oh, please, please, don't mind the tentacles." His platinum blonde hair is cut short, or it appears its only just recently grown out again. His teeth are unnaturally sharp, yet, perhaps the strangest thing about Erlathan's appearance are two tiny protruberances dangling from the bottom of his chin. They look as if they may fall off any moment. "This is what happens when a devilish winged fiend chooses you as its, ahem, man of the night."

Erlathan wears a long, flowing red coat in immaculate condition overtop a simple navy blue shirt lined in silver. "Devils, yes. I know a thing or two about them. Heh, more than I'd like to admit, actually. They're from hell, and immune to fire and poison. ... Unfortunate given that one spell I recently mastered. They can see in the dark as well. And they're pure evil. Where's a holy man when you need one?"

Silver Crusade

Male Human Cleric 7 HP 52/52 | AC (24)21, T 12, FF 19 |Wands: CLW: 34/50 Bless: 29/50 Prot Evil: 50/50 Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10 ToG 6/6 Channel 5/8 | Effects: Comprehend Languages, Daylight

K Planes vs Devils, DC10: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10
K Local vs Orcs, DC10: 1d20 ⇒ 1
Diplomacy (Gather Info) vs Vigil, Lastwall, Hold of Belkzen, DC10: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27

As if mentioned by name, a man littered in holy trappings walks into the room. Head held high in self confidence, he wears a nicely made breast plate, a flowing pearl colored cloak, trimmed in gold. A fine longsword hangs by his side in a well made scabbard. Other assorted weapons of war hang from his belt or across his back, along with a small darkwood shield, with the symbol of Iomedae emblazoned across its face.

He turns and nods with respect to the VC as she leaves, and once the door closes his serious demeanor quickly softens into a smile as he introduces himself to each member of the party with a bare handed handshake. "How's it going fellas? Name's Hanlin, and I'll be your striving force of all that's still good and decent in this shlt-hole world we were born into." He says with a smile and a straight face.

"I'm pretty stoked to finally get sent ahead into the real battlefield, dealing with Demons and Devils is something I've trained hard for, not to mention the undead. But orcs I've yet to deal with, but I'm sure they'll fall to blade quickly enough." He says as he steps back from the group to be able to address everyone face to face.

"I've actually spent a bit of time in Vigil, but that was some time ago when I was young. Should be a great return, I wonder how things have changed." He says with all seriousness. "If you all keep everything on the up and up more or less, I'm no stodgy paladin here, we'll get along great, and I'll make sure Iomedae sees fit to keep you all in the fight as best I can."

Silver Crusade

HP: 53/53 l AC: 20, T 13, FF 18 l CMD 19 l F +7, R +5, W +5; +2 vs. illusions, +2 vs. fear/despair l Bond Senses (6/6), Eternal Hope (1/1), Maker's Call (1/1), Summon Monster III (6/6) l L1: 5/5, L2: 4/4 l Init +2 l Senses: Low-Light Vision, Perception -1
Skills:
Craft: Carpentry +10, Intimidate +7,Kn. Arcana +7, Kn. Religion +6, Kn. Dungeoneering +5, Kn. Planes +9, Kn. Engineering +7, Ride +10, Spellcraft +8, UMD +7
Female Gnome Unchained Summoner 6/Fighter (Dragoon) 1 l Active Conditions:

Kn. Planes (Untrained): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8
Kn. Local (Untrained): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17

"I like the way you think!" comes a high-pitched, female voice from nearby and down. A lady gnome with strawberry-blonde hair and bright green eyes waves cheerfully at the other assembled Pathfinders. At her side sits what only be described as some sort of feline creature with inky black skin and fiery red markings, a creature that's much bigger than she herself is. A pack is slung over her back and she carries what looks to be a lance, sized just right for a gnome. Hanging predominantly from her neck is a simple wooden holy symbol of Sarenrae.

"Inky and I have been waiting for a chance like this for forever," she continues, eyes widen with excitement. "A chance to really take the fight to these devils, to show them that the light of Sarenrae can never be quenched! We'll show them who's boss, right Inky?"

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
HP: 39/39 l AC: 21, T 13, FF 18 l CMD 21 l F +6, R +7, W +3; +4 vs. enchantments l Immune: Fire, Paralysis, Sleep l Init +3 l Senses: Darkvision, Perception +8
Skills:
Acrobatics +9, Diplomacy +4, Fly +11, Intimidate +8, Kn. Planes +2, Sense Motive +6, Stealth +7
Female Elemental Unchained Eidolon 6 | Active Conditions:

Kn. Planes: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18

"Not if you don't do a little research first," snaps the feline creature, speaking with a feminine voice that seems to crackle and pop slightly with each word. "Didn't you hear what Tall, Pale, and Tentacly said? Devils shrug off fire and poison like nothing and even cold and acid have a tough time penetrating their hides! There's only so much that lance of yours will do unless you can pull magical enchantments out of your backside!"

Sovereign Court

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Sir Kibble:
HP: 29/32 | AC: 19/13/16 | CMD: 18 | F: +6, R: +7, W: +2; +4 vs. fear and emotion effects | Speed: 50' (35' when mounted) | Perception: +1; +2 when carrying Braggett, Low-light vision, Scent | Init: +3
Male Gnome cavalier (Emissary) 5 | HP: 38/39 | AC: 20/12/19 22/12/21 | CMD: 18 | F: +6, R: +3, W: +5; +2 vs. illusions/fear/despair | Spd: 20' | Per: +10; +2 when riding Kibble, Low-light vision | Init :+1 | Challenge: 1/2 | Eternal Hope: 0/1 | Wand CLW 29/50 | Conditions:

Lord Braggett stares at the tentacles on Erlathan's chin with morbid curiosity. However, the gentlemanly nature of the blue haired gnome shines through, and he only stares for a few minutes before introducing himself, "Such enthusiasm for devil kicking fills my heart with joy!" He says happily glancing at Hanlin and Nina, "Greetings! I am Lord Braggett Fizzlebotham the IV, perhaps you have heard of my many heroic exploits?" The confident little gnome gives a small bow towards his new comrades, "And this is my valiant and fearsome steed, Sir Kibble!" He says, indicating the large shaggy grey wolf sitting down beside him. The wolf looks excitedly around at all the new faces, his tongue lolling out of his mouth, *Arf!*.

The heavily armed knight stands proudly beside his 'fearsome mount,' one hand resting on the pommel of his sword, and the other resting in the small of his back. The fine Taldorian clothes he is wearing have only been out of fashion for a few decades, his perfectly shiny steel breastplate is only a little dented, and his blue streaked beard is only a little frazzled.


Male Animal Companion (Bodyguard) Wolf animal 5 | HP: 29/32 | AC: 19/13/16 | CMD: 18 | F: +6, R: +7, W: +2; +4 vs. fear and emotion effects | Speed: 50' | Perception: +1 (+2 when carrying Braggett, Low-light vision; Scent) | Init: +3

Sir Kibble continues to sit and pant heavily under his leather armour, saddle, and bags full of rope and other gear. His large puppy dog eyes alight on Inky and he cocks his head, *Arf?*

Liberty's Edge

Human Male Unch Rogue 5 | AC 18*/17 (T 16*/Fl 12) | hp 28/28 | Init +4 | Fort +1 Ref +8 Will +2 | Perception +9 | Wands: CLW (44) | Mage Armour (44) | Bless Weapon (44) | Conditions: *Combat Expertise; Armor (AC 20*);

"As always an ecletic group gathered by The Ten to serve out a greater purpose. It is a pleasure to meet you all. That is excellent information to know about the devils. Are there any special metals that they are susceptible to or would weaponry bathed in holy water be of use? If so I will need to gather a good suuply."

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human Cleric 7 HP 52/52 | AC (24)21, T 12, FF 19 |Wands: CLW: 34/50 Bless: 29/50 Prot Evil: 50/50 Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10 ToG 6/6 Channel 5/8 | Effects: Comprehend Languages, Daylight

Hanlin nods along as the pair of gnomes with mounts come on to the scene I guess if I was that small I'd want something to carry my stuff around too. Actually, I want something to carry me and this blasted heavy armor!

"Hey there. Looks like we've got a heck of a team here. I don't think those orcs are going to know what hit 'em!" He takes a step forward and ruffles Kibble's hair a bit, and gives the 'cat' a bit of a sideways look. K Planes: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10

"Yup, Inky speaks the truth. Devils are some mean customers, hopefully any that we may run into are of the lesser variety. Best keep some silver weapons on hand. I usually keep cold iron too just in case, and magic weapons sure can come in handy. I can always ask Iomedae to bless a weapon with her power if needed." He says, tapping a scroll tube hanging from his side.

"Luckily, I've learned through EXTREMELY long and rigorous training, how to channel Her righteous power to overwhelm and snuff out the existance of those evil creatures from away, much like they were the undead, but not as easily." He holds up his left hand, devoid of a guantlet, with a finely detailed tattoo of the holy symbol of Iomedae, a hand clutching a longsword.

"The dead will hold no court as long as I remain standing, my powers are particularly effective against the magic that holds them together." He holds his hand forward and pretends to blast one with holy awesomeness.

He turns to the dark skinned man and nods "Blessed water has quite an effect on them as well, but I don't believe simply dipping a weapon in holy water will do much to flay their hides. I would suggest a specific oil... magic weapon, for that. Holy water works if thrown at, or dumped on such a creature." He winks slyly, rubbing his hand on his cloak coyly "I can even ask Iomedae herself to bless such water, if I have the proper time and a hefty amount of powdered silver to offer her."

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
CG Elf Arcanist 8 | HP: 58/58 | AC: 13 (T: 13, F: 10) | CMB: +3, CMD: 16 | F: +5, R: +6, W: +8 | Init: +9 | Perc: +11 | Speed 30 | Arcane Reservoir remaining: 7/11 | Low-light vision | Reroll | Conditions: Sickened

"That's Sir Tall, Pale, and Tentacly to you, kitty cat," Erlathan pointedly says. "You aren't the first bunch of Pathfinders I've had to explain this to, but I'm hoping you'll be the last. I foolishly agreed to enter the misty Blakros Museum a few weeks ago. It seems the landlord of that place forgot to list two Vargouilles in his tenant list. A kiss from one of those and, well, ... this!" He tilts his head forward to give everyone a better view of his hair sprouts and tentacle chin. "I know. Horrible, isn't it?"

He throws his hands up in dismissal. "Anyway, sounds like we've got something of a situation in Belkzen. Devils, eh. Perhaps we might acquire some of this holy water prior to our departure, yes?"

Liberty's Edge

Human Male Unch Rogue 5 | AC 18*/17 (T 16*/Fl 12) | hp 28/28 | Init +4 | Fort +1 Ref +8 Will +2 | Perception +9 | Wands: CLW (44) | Mage Armour (44) | Bless Weapon (44) | Conditions: *Combat Expertise; Armor (AC 20*);

"Vargouilles? I have no idea what they are but I do hope those things are not contagious. There must be some spell that can rid you of those although they do make you stand out for the worst and not the better." Bishop pauses and looks at Erlathan's chin, "Yes definitely for the worst. Might be wise to hide your face when we arrive in Lastwall. That town might take you for something spawned from something evil and could make communicating with them rather difficult. the orcs might give you some respect though? We'll find out soon enough." Bishop moves back and addresses the group. "I'll be off to acquire some appropriate supplies before I leave. Until then." With that Bishop heads off to search for his supplies.

Sovereign Court

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Sir Kibble:
HP: 29/32 | AC: 19/13/16 | CMD: 18 | F: +6, R: +7, W: +2; +4 vs. fear and emotion effects | Speed: 50' (35' when mounted) | Perception: +1; +2 when carrying Braggett, Low-light vision, Scent | Init: +3
Male Gnome cavalier (Emissary) 5 | HP: 38/39 | AC: 20/12/19 22/12/21 | CMD: 18 | F: +6, R: +3, W: +5; +2 vs. illusions/fear/despair | Spd: 20' | Per: +10; +2 when riding Kibble, Low-light vision | Init :+1 | Challenge: 1/2 | Eternal Hope: 0/1 | Wand CLW 29/50 | Conditions:

"I don't know." Says Lord Braggett as he steps closer and stares at Erlathan's chin tentacles some more, "I think that they suit you, Sir! A sound reminder of a glorious battle with a devil..." He pauses for a second, "You did slay it, right? I might be inclined to agree with Bishop if all you did was 'make out' with the Vargouilles residing in the museum. Perhaps you should consult with a doctor?"

Braggett watches Hanlin with some interest, and glancing at the lance strapped to Inky, he smiles, "Well, my fellow knights, it seems that some silver and holy water seems to be in order. I shall follow the Sage's example and purchase some immediately. If you would like to hear tales of the most heroic of heroics, you are welcome to come with. I shall treat you to the tale of how I singlehandedly rescued all the children of a village from the pits of hell." With that he hops onto the back of Kibble and smiles proudly.

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Having acquired what provisions you can afford and outfitted yourselves for your long journey, you travel by ship from the Isle of Kortos to Almas where you board a barge north through Andoran, Birthplace of Freedom, up the Andoshen and the River Foam. You join a merchant caravan for the overland leg through the nation of Isger, vassal state of Cheliax, to its capital Eridil and then enter the Kalistocracy of Druma. In Kerse, you embark on a caravel across Lake Encarthan. At the mouth of the Path River, you again board a barge for the final leg, arriving in Lastwall's capital Vigil at midday.

Two concentric walls circle Vigil, with the exception of the opening of its small harbor on the Path River. The thick outer wall and towers are made of granite and surrounded by a wide moat filled with water from the river. The southeast and northwest gatehouses and the six towers of the outer wall are always bathed in magically created light. The inner wall rises higher than the outer wall, and it is whitewashed, as is all of the city and Castle Overwatch within. The walls have ballistae, catapults, and trebuchets, and are guarded day and night. Gardens with flowers, animal pens, and sheds lie between the two walls, tended by Erastil's faithful.

Most of the buildings of the city are simple, blocky, and solid, but some examples of the Chelish Old White style exist as well, such as the five Tribune Halls and the Pathfinder lodge. The streets and alleys of the city are clear and even the market stalls and carts are packed by nightfall.

In the center of Vigil, a rocky hill named Watcher's Tor rises with the towering Castle Overwatch at its peak. Hedgerows of hardy dawnroses cover the lower slopes of Watcher's Tor, with wild climbing roses scaling even the steeper slopes below the central keep and the towering citadel. The magnificent Cathedral of Sancta Iomedaea lies at the foot of the Watcher's Tor.

Liberty's Edge

Human Male Unch Rogue 5 | AC 18*/17 (T 16*/Fl 12) | hp 28/28 | Init +4 | Fort +1 Ref +8 Will +2 | Perception +9 | Wands: CLW (44) | Mage Armour (44) | Bless Weapon (44) | Conditions: *Combat Expertise; Armor (AC 20*);

Bishop purchases a wand of bless weapon (birch wood with a silver tip) for 2 pp and a wand of mage armour for 750 gp

As is his usual routine Bishop finds himself below in whatever quarters were assigned to him as they travel from the Isle of Kortos to Almas to eventually reaching Lastwall.

The voyage is particularly rough on Bishop who does his best to keep whatever he has eaten and drank down. However, it is usually in vain as fills bucket after bucket with the contents on his stomach. Even the visit into Andoran does nothing to change his mood – which is dour and curt with anyone who actually attempts to talk to him.

When they finally put feet to land Bishop's demeanour begins to change the for the better joining on the conversation and actually getting to know the rest of the party.

'They seem trustworthy enough. Let's see how they fare when things go the other way though.' he smiles to the others.

knowledge local: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18

Want to determine the Society's relationship with Lastwall residents before I go about informing them that we are Pathfinders

"Well we are finally here. Now to find where Venture-Captain Zongnoss resides. Erlathan I was not jesting when I said cover those 'things' the people here truly might not be acceptable of it."

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Map & Image

A young initiate ushers you into the Pathfinder Lodge in Vigil. He arranges for servants to take your gear up to your rooms and shows you to the bathhouse where you can freshen up.

"Evni Zongnoss runs the Pathfinder lodge in Vigil. The gnome is a renowned fortune-teller, so keep your palms in your pockets, if you know what's good for you." He chuckles, "Evni is noted for her attentiveness with her agents." He grins, "She tends to mother us just a bit."

---

The bell clangs for dinner, and a handful of field agents join you at the common table. At its head sits a friendly, red-headed domestic goddess.

In a voice evoking equal parts Martha Stewart and Julia Child, the gnome greets you. "Welcome, welcome, Pathfinders! Thank you so much for answering my call for a little help. I've been short-handed lately, providing what assistance I can to Bhoston."

At your blank looks, Evni explains, "Boston Jola Rould is a Pathfinder who operates in Lastwall seeking the Gluttonous Tome."

She realizes you have no idea what she's talking about. She continues, "Runelord Zutha divined Thassilon's impending fall and made contingencies to survive. He bound his essence into an eldritch book, the Gluttonous Tome, that was split into three volumes and entrusted to his three greatest servants. Thassilon's destruction was more complete than Zutha anticipated, however, and the three books were scattered to the farthest corners of Avistan. If the three books are ever brought together, whoever possesses the reconstituted Gluttonous Tome will be possessed by the spirit of the undead runelord and Zutha will be free to plague the world once more..."

Realizing that's not why you're in Lastwall, she finally gets to the point. "A few weeks ago, I received a missive from Wate Arwyll asking for our help in regard to the unusual orc activity nearby and sightings of devils in the hills around Arwyll Stead. Your task is to travel to Arwyll Stead, investigate what's going on and offer Master Wate what assistance you can."

Servants bring out the hearty evening meal and beverages to quench your thirst.

Evni Zongnoss offers a toast to the Open Road and smiles. "I'd like to know a little more about each of you, and you probably have a few questions for me. Fire away!"

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
CG Elf Arcanist 8 | HP: 58/58 | AC: 13 (T: 13, F: 10) | CMB: +3, CMD: 16 | F: +5, R: +6, W: +8 | Init: +9 | Perc: +11 | Speed 30 | Arcane Reservoir remaining: 7/11 | Low-light vision | Reroll | Conditions: Sickened

The journey is absolutely brutal for Erlathan, and he spends his time aboard the various vessels staring up at the sky, complaining about the captain's perceived absence of ship steering, flipping through his spellbook, and writing awful poetry.

Finally in Vigil, Erlathan heeds Bishop's request. "Yeah, yeah, I get it. I suppose you don't seen an elf with tentacles every day, do you? Some say they add character, you know."

Disguise, disguise kit: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21

The arcanist crafts the perfect disguise, dousing his chin in foundation and concealer, and managing to tie his tentacles in such a way that they almost aren't there at all.

Now in the Lodge, Erlathan grabs a seat and deposits himself into it. "WHAT a journey. Gods. I'm going to need a year of sleep after that. Say, Ms. Zog.. Zongnoss? A unique name, quite obviously gnomish. Anyhow, Venture-Captain," he says with emphasis, "I'm Erlathan, magically magical mage. Once from Kyonin, haven't been back for years. Not really allowed to. Don't look at me like that, it was for the greater good. I suppose..." He trails off before snapping to it. "Anyway! What sort of unusual beastly orc activity can we expect, Venture-Captain? And how long might it take to get to Arwyll Stead? I am tired, you know."

Silver Crusade

Male Human Cleric 7 HP 52/52 | AC (24)21, T 12, FF 19 |Wands: CLW: 34/50 Bless: 29/50 Prot Evil: 50/50 Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10 ToG 6/6 Channel 5/8 | Effects: Comprehend Languages, Daylight

Fort vs Sea Sickness: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24 Like a boss!

Hanlin really enjoys the trip. He takes to the sea travel like a veteran sailor, staying on deck in most all types of weather. To be fair he keeps his breast plate stowed below decks in his bunk, having his shield and weaponry on him at all times. He quickly makes good friends with the crew in each leg of the journey, being a positive outlook in any gloomy weather. "Don't worry Bishop, your sickness will pass soon enough. The glorious light and the feeling of solid ground will steel your guts!"

As they look upon the city of Vigil, Hanlin smiles "I haven't been here since I was just an apprentice to my father, Hanlin Sr. Its been a long time to be rewarded to return."

Hanlin smiles and bows graciously to the initiate as they are lead along towards the VC "What is your name young one? Do you train to become a great Paladin in the service of the Inheritor? Or maybe a priest such as myself?"

Once they arrive at dinner, Hanlin politely addresses the VC "It is our pleasure, if not our duty to come assist. I have trained long and hard under the guidance of Iomedae for this moment. You have my sword arm to your cause." After traveling with the man for so long, its obvious he flips a switch to become far more serious and diplomatic around those of higher station than he.

Diplomacy (First impressions are the most important!): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19

Sovereign Court

Sir Kibble:
HP: 29/32 | AC: 19/13/16 | CMD: 18 | F: +6, R: +7, W: +2; +4 vs. fear and emotion effects | Speed: 50' (35' when mounted) | Perception: +1; +2 when carrying Braggett, Low-light vision, Scent | Init: +3
Male Gnome cavalier (Emissary) 5 | HP: 38/39 | AC: 20/12/19 22/12/21 | CMD: 18 | F: +6, R: +3, W: +5; +2 vs. illusions/fear/despair | Spd: 20' | Per: +10; +2 when riding Kibble, Low-light vision | Init :+1 | Challenge: 1/2 | Eternal Hope: 0/1 | Wand CLW 29/50 | Conditions:

Braggett purchases a flask of holy water, 2 x oil of magic weapon, a potion of cure moderate wounds, and an alchemical silver scimitar: 530gp overall.

Lord Braggett really enjoys the journey, and regales anyone who will listen with tales of his heroism, or demonstrates the delights of Taldan opera by singing a few of his favourite arias, albeit out of tune. Sir Kibble, spends most of his time at sea at the bow of the ship, enjoying the wind flowing through his fur. On land, Kibble happily padding alongside the caravans, carrying a singing gnome.

Braggett arrives for dinner dressed in his finest outfit, complete with fancy curly toed shoes, his breastplate left in his room and replaced by a yellow jerkin. After the Venture-Captain's welcome, Lord Braggett rises from his seat and gives Evni Zongnoss a polite bow, "My Lady, it is an honour to be called to your cause, and indeed, to the cause of Arwyll Stead. I am Lord Braggett Fizzlebotham the Fourth, a fully trained knight and renowned tenderiser of the undead. Rest assured that no matter the cause of this unusual activity, we have the skills to deal with it swiftly." The gnomish knight bows once again and sits down. With excellent posture and table manners, Braggett gets back to his meal and nods along to Erlathan's questions, "Yes, it would be good to know what constitutes 'unusual' in the activity of orcs and devils? Is it simply that they are more active than usual, or perhaps they are killing less and taking more slaves from their raids?" After taking a sip of his drink, pinky finger firmly extended, he also asks, "Are there any more specifics on what types of devils are being sighted?"

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
HP: 53/53 l AC: 20, T 13, FF 18 l CMD 19 l F +7, R +5, W +5; +2 vs. illusions, +2 vs. fear/despair l Bond Senses (6/6), Eternal Hope (1/1), Maker's Call (1/1), Summon Monster III (6/6) l L1: 5/5, L2: 4/4 l Init +2 l Senses: Low-Light Vision, Perception -1
Skills:
Craft: Carpentry +10, Intimidate +7,Kn. Arcana +7, Kn. Religion +6, Kn. Dungeoneering +5, Kn. Planes +9, Kn. Engineering +7, Ride +10, Spellcraft +8, UMD +7
Female Gnome Unchained Summoner 6/Fighter (Dragoon) 1 l Active Conditions:

Nina's Purchases:

Wand of Cure Light Wounds - 2pp
Cold Iron Crossbow Bolt x50 - 10gp
Lance - 10gp
Tanglefoot Bag x1 - 50gp
Holy Water x2 - 50gp
Alkali Flask x2 - 30gp
Alchemist's Fire x5 - 100gp

From her Wounded Wisp chronicle sheet, she'll also buy the Alexandrite Gem which sheds light as if affected by Continual Flame at a heightened level (3rd level; CL 5th) - 750gp

She also sells her old longspear for half price (2 gp, 5sp).

Fort: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23

Like the majority of her companions, Nina enjoys the trip to Vigil immensely and spends a great deal of her time listening to Lord Braggett's tales and trying to get Erlathan to let her touch his face-tentacles.

Arriving for dinner with the rest, Nina fidgets a little self-consciously as she stands next to Lord Braggett dressed in his finest and Hanlin in his shiny, sparkly armor. "Psst - Inky! I don't have anything on my face do I?" she whispers while the others make introductions. When her turn comes, she clear her throat and tries to stand as tall as she's able.

"Nina Brightspark, ma'am! From Whistledown, way off in Varisia. It's uh...mostly a gnomish town, so if you're not heard much about it, that's okay," she explains. "I'm a knight of Sarenrae...er, well, hopeful knight. Still in training, you know. Oh! But Inky and I can be a terror on the battlefield and I know some things about different things, so I promise we'll be able to pull our weight!"

Silver Crusade

HP: 39/39 l AC: 21, T 13, FF 18 l CMD 21 l F +6, R +7, W +3; +4 vs. enchantments l Immune: Fire, Paralysis, Sleep l Init +3 l Senses: Darkvision, Perception +8
Skills:
Acrobatics +9, Diplomacy +4, Fly +11, Intimidate +8, Kn. Planes +2, Sense Motive +6, Stealth +7
Female Elemental Unchained Eidolon 6 | Active Conditions:

Inky sighs and rolls her eyes slightly. "I don't know about knight or even hopeful knight, but Nina's right that we're not a bad team when we've got some room to move. Anyway, nice to meet you - I'm Incandescence but Inky's easier and quicker to say."

The eidolon stretches a bit and then 'accidentally' trods on Nina's foot. "And I'm sure that Nina also meant to ask you if there's been anything strange happening lately that might cause the orcs to be on the move more often - or that might've drawn the attention of whatever devils are lurking out there. Right?"

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Human Male Unch Rogue 5 | AC 18*/17 (T 16*/Fl 12) | hp 28/28 | Init +4 | Fort +1 Ref +8 Will +2 | Perception +9 | Wands: CLW (44) | Mage Armour (44) | Bless Weapon (44) | Conditions: *Combat Expertise; Armor (AC 20*);

Bishop listens to the others glad to note down their stories. One never knew when one might need to know an intricate detail about someone. Information was the real currency of the Society.

Standing up he flourishes his cloak in practiced fashion and then bows to the Venture Captain. "Thank you for hosting us Venture Captain ZONG-noss. I am Bishop. A disciple of the The Great Dreamer. It is my path to travel the lands of Golarion not only to aid the Society but to spread the word of the Great Dreamer. I have few talents that are as noteworthy as those gathered with me but I will do my best to aid in whatever request you ask of us.

My question for you is twofold. Are the orcs and these devils allied in some way and if they are is there any history of this occurring before? I did not think that there were devils in the Belkzen's Hold. I was suspecting you would need our help with the undead more so than devils."

Grand Lodge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

"Well met, priest. My name is Chastity Nevagonnagetzum, and yes, I am a paladin of Iomedae." Your guide replies to Hanlin, and his cheeks redden, familiar with strangers' hurtful jokes.

---

Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 20

Venture-Captain Evni Zongnoss squints at Erlathan, "Oh, darling boy, you've something on your chin. Here, have a napkin. No need to feel embarrassed."

She bids you all take your seats and enjoy your dinner.

Evni turns to the cleric, "Chastity tells me you're from Vigil, Hanlin, Priest of Iomedae. Welcome home. Does your father still live and work here?"

She offers the gnome summoner a warm smile. "Of course I've heard of Whistledown, Nina Brightspark. My maternal great-uncle, Cello Melloyello is one of the town's most celebrated craftsmen of fine fiddles." She scratches Incandescence behind one ear. "You're a smart one, aren't you, Kitty."

She ogles the gnome cavalier. "Lord Braggett Fizzlebotham the Fourth. Forgive me, if I stare, m'lord. It's not often I meet titled members of our fair folk."

She invites the rogue to sit down, "Welcome, Bishop of the Song of Spheres. I'm sure you've skills your humility conceals."

After the meal, Evni Zongnoss passes around a bottle of port and small plates of raspberry cheesecake. Then she addresses your questions.

"Of course, you'll rest here this evening," she answers Erlathan, "And tomorrow morning our quartermaster or the shops in the city can likely sell you anything you still need.

"The distance to Arwyll Stead is short compared with your long journey here from Skyreach. Here's a map. See for yourself."

She places a finger on the map. "The border region between Vigil and Urgir is a hotly contested battleground between the humans of Lastwall and the orcs of Belkzen, in addition to being plagued by horrors from the Hungry Mountains to the east."

"The mining town of Arwyll Stead is one of the numerous border settlements standing between the Hold of Belkzen and Lastwall. It’s named after the Arwylls, a well-known family of Lastwall crusaders and knights who have fought against the orcs for generations."

"The Arwyll family has been steadily dwindling over past few decades; a knight named Wate Arwyll is the sole remaining holder of the Arwyll name. While the Arwylls aren’t the official rulers of the town, the townsfolk all but revere their namesake family, looking to them for guidance and security in the face of orc savagery."

The venture-captain sighs, "Alas, I know no more about these orcs and devils than what I've told you. The Lodge in Vigil has not been active in that region for a long time. We've been busy elsewhere. The threat must be great, however, because Wate would not have asked for help, if he thought he could deal with the troubles himself."

Sovereign Court

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Sir Kibble:
HP: 29/32 | AC: 19/13/16 | CMD: 18 | F: +6, R: +7, W: +2; +4 vs. fear and emotion effects | Speed: 50' (35' when mounted) | Perception: +1; +2 when carrying Braggett, Low-light vision, Scent | Init: +3
Male Gnome cavalier (Emissary) 5 | HP: 38/39 | AC: 20/12/19 22/12/21 | CMD: 18 | F: +6, R: +3, W: +5; +2 vs. illusions/fear/despair | Spd: 20' | Per: +10; +2 when riding Kibble, Low-light vision | Init :+1 | Challenge: 1/2 | Eternal Hope: 0/1 | Wand CLW 29/50 | Conditions:

Bluff: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19

Lord Braggett smiles and waves a dismissive hand, "No need to apologise, my Lady, I am used to people staring at my remarkable personage. It is the curse I have to bare for being such an extraordinary example of gallantry, nobility, and humility." He says, humbly, "But please do not let my very real, and not at all faked, title intimidate you. I am just like anyone else... Only, more so."

The knight helps himself to some of the delicious cheesecake as he contemplates the information being shared, "It seems like Arwyll Stead is situated in a rather precarious area. Are we likely to encounter trouble on our journey from here to there? Are the roads around here safe?"

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Evni Zongnoss replies, "A prudent traveler in the borderlands chooses battle-ready companions, keeps his wits about him, and always posts a watch at night. Wate mentions no other threats than the orcs and devils. Be careful."

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human Cleric 7 HP 52/52 | AC (24)21, T 12, FF 19 |Wands: CLW: 34/50 Bless: 29/50 Prot Evil: 50/50 Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10 ToG 6/6 Channel 5/8 | Effects: Comprehend Languages, Daylight

Hanlin clamps his hand on Chastity's shoulder "Do not worry man, women dig a man in armor, especially heroes... in time it will come."

As Evni asks about his father, Hanlin stands to respond. "Hanlin Sr has since moved to Absalom. His age and wisdom making it prudent he leave the front lines. He now helps train those who wish to undertake the service of Iomedae. He is a wise man."

Sense Motive DC13:
Bluff: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13 Hanlin seems uncomfortable speaking about his father, its not something he brings up (for those that have traveled with him)

Sense Motive vs 'Lord': 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26 Aptly named this 'Braggart'

Hanlin quickly takes a seat and with it a long drink of wine, clearing his throat discreetly he pipes in "I hope we are able to help Arwylls in time, his namesake is impressive, I hope he has some sons to carry on his lineage." He raises his wine glass in a reverent toast to the man before adding in one last question "What sort of horrors do you see from the mountains? Giants? Beasts? Undead?"

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Sense Motive: 1d20 ⇒ 2

Evni Zongnoss adds, "The terrain around Arwyll Stead ranges from the rocky, arid hills leading east into the Hungry Mountains to the green plains and sparse forests characteristic of Lastwall. The Path Road leads from Vigil through Arwyll Stead and into Ustalav."

Chastity chimes in to answer Hanlin, "The borderlands are known for dangerous creatures like aurochs, boars, giant eagles, hyenas, lions, including reports of rare dire specimens."

Sovereign Court

CG Elf Arcanist 8 | HP: 58/58 | AC: 13 (T: 13, F: 10) | CMB: +3, CMD: 16 | F: +5, R: +6, W: +8 | Init: +9 | Perc: +11 | Speed 30 | Arcane Reservoir remaining: 7/11 | Low-light vision | Reroll | Conditions: Sickened

"Ah, the Hungry Mountains," Erlathan passively says, forming his own butte of potatoes and vegetables in his plate. "Like this one?" He beams, delicately forming the edges of the mound and then picking up a spoon to take a neat amount from it before indulging himself.

Setting his fork down, Erlathan picks up his spellbook and begins to flip through it. "Devils, huh. Perhaps a little protection from evil may aid us against the fiends. I'll be sure to acquaint myself with this spell in the morning."

After resting, Erlathan will purchase a wand of grease

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

You rise early the next morning, make your preparations, and set off for Arwyll Stead.

---
In the early afternoon, the clang of metal on metal and the shrill whinnies of frightened horses can be heard from up ahead. As the dusty road curves around the hills, a scene of battle comes into view some hundred feet away. Panicked horses bolt past, and corpses litter the ground around the road—some are recognizable as human guards or fallen horses, but others are twisted, winged, horned monstrosities with fiendish features.

All of the combatants have fallen, except for two of the flying yellow monsters attacking a lone, wounded half-orc woman wielding a bow.

The badly wounded woman calls out, "Help me!"

Initiative:

Hanlin: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14
Nina: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11
Incandescence: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10
Braggett: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
Kibble: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20
Bishop: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17
Erlathan: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8
Red: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20
Yellow: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22
Half-Orc: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8

Map & Images

Hearing the half-orc shout and seeing your approach, the two creatures turn their attention to you. Their wings buzz as they approach and launch their spears. Fortunately, both missiles miss their mark. You hear them chittering in your minds.

Infernal:
"Masterwork spears, my devil's arse! These mother-chuckers suck azata balls!"

Yellow Attack vs Lord Braggett: 1d20 + 7 - 2 ⇒ (2) + 7 - 2 = 7
Red Attack vs Bishop: 1d20 + 7 - 2 ⇒ (3) + 7 - 2 = 8

Knowledge (planes) DC13:
These are gaavs, lesser host devils, small outsiders with the devil, evil, extraplanar, lawful subtypes. For every 5 you exceed the DC, you may ask a question from this list.

Round 1
Bold
may act.

Yellow
Red
---
Bishop
Hanlin
Erlathan
Nina Brightspark & Incandescence

---
Half-Orc
---
Lord Braggett & Kibble

Bishop, Hanlin, Erlathan, Nina & Inky, you're up!

Silver Crusade

HP: 53/53 l AC: 20, T 13, FF 18 l CMD 19 l F +7, R +5, W +5; +2 vs. illusions, +2 vs. fear/despair l Bond Senses (6/6), Eternal Hope (1/1), Maker's Call (1/1), Summon Monster III (6/6) l L1: 5/5, L2: 4/4 l Init +2 l Senses: Low-Light Vision, Perception -1
Skills:
Craft: Carpentry +10, Intimidate +7,Kn. Arcana +7, Kn. Religion +6, Kn. Dungeoneering +5, Kn. Planes +9, Kn. Engineering +7, Ride +10, Spellcraft +8, UMD +7
Female Gnome Unchained Summoner 6/Fighter (Dragoon) 1 l Active Conditions:

Previous Day...

Sense Motive (DC 19): 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (11) - 1 = 10
Sense Motive (DC 13): 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (16) - 1 = 15

"Lord Braggett is amazing, isn't he?" Nina beams at Evni as digs into her meal. "Inky and I are so lucky that we get to accompany him on this mission! I'm hoping I can learn a lot from him!"

The little gnome's smile does seem to waver for just a moment as she glances at Hanlin, but then it returns in its full glory. "And it's good to remember where we came from but we can't always keep looking to the past, right? Each of us have to make our own legend!"
_______

Now

"Whatever they said, it sounded rude..." Nina huffs as she readies her lance. "But! We have to save that poor woman! Come on Inky, let's go! Gogogo!"

With a sigh and a mutter, Inky speeds towards Red. Nina's lance seems to glow for a moment with some sort of arcane power...

Attack vs. Red (Lance; Arcane Strike, Charging): 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 4 + 2 = 16
Damage: 2d6 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (2, 1) + 6 + 1 = 10
__________

Nina & Inky charge forward; Nina makes use of her Arcane Strike feat as a swift action!

Silver Crusade

Male Human Cleric 7 HP 52/52 | AC (24)21, T 12, FF 19 |Wands: CLW: 34/50 Bless: 29/50 Prot Evil: 50/50 Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10 ToG 6/6 Channel 5/8 | Effects: Comprehend Languages, Daylight

K Planes, DC13: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12 "I'm not quite sure what they are, but if they look like that and speak the Infernal tongue then they are not our friends!"

Hanlin hustles forward, cursing his heavy backpack and armor, but getting within range none the less. He draws out his gleaming longsword into his right hand, and as he gets close he raises his left hand, points his tattoo at the creatures and hollers forth a short prayer "Cleanse these Devil's from our midst my Lady!"

A bright golden light pulses from the palm of his hand and bursts out in all directions, rolling over everything in its path, searing those of evil intent from not of this plane. Channel vs Evil Outsiders, Will Save/half DC15: 1d6 ⇒ 5

AC is 17 at present with no shield drawn. Channeled energy to harm evil outsiders, 5/6 remaining. Time to find out if we have any of those in the party!

Silver Crusade

HP: 39/39 l AC: 21, T 13, FF 18 l CMD 21 l F +6, R +7, W +3; +4 vs. enchantments l Immune: Fire, Paralysis, Sleep l Init +3 l Senses: Darkvision, Perception +8
Skills:
Acrobatics +9, Diplomacy +4, Fly +11, Intimidate +8, Kn. Planes +2, Sense Motive +6, Stealth +7
Female Elemental Unchained Eidolon 6 | Active Conditions:

Kn. Planes: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14

"Ew...those are gaavs - lesser host devils," Inky calls out now that she can see them a bit better. "I *think* they're kind of devil small-fry but I don't really know for sure!"

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Inky charges forward along the road, and Nina's lance almost impales one of the creatures. Inky recognizes them as gaavs, lawful evil outsiders also known as lesser host devils.

Hanlin guesses the devils are speaking the language of Hell. The cleric rumbles forward, armor clanking, drawing his sword and channeling a burst of divine energy.

The flying gaavs hiss and spit through their sharp, yellowed fangs.

Yellow Will Save DC15: 1d20 ⇒ 11
Red Will Save DC15: 1d20 ⇒ 11

Map & Images

Knowledge (planes) DC13:
These are gaavs, lesser host devils, small outsiders with the devil, evil, extraplanar, lawful subtypes. For every 5 you exceed the DC, you may ask a question from this list.

Round 1
Bold
may act.

Yellow Gaav (-5)
Red Gaav (-5)
---
Bishop
Hanlin
Erlathan
Nina Brightspark & Incandescence
---
Half-Orc
---
Lord Braggett & Kibble

Bishop and Erlathan, you're up!

Sovereign Court

CG Elf Arcanist 8 | HP: 58/58 | AC: 13 (T: 13, F: 10) | CMB: +3, CMD: 16 | F: +5, R: +6, W: +8 | Init: +9 | Perc: +11 | Speed 30 | Arcane Reservoir remaining: 7/11 | Low-light vision | Reroll | Conditions: Sickened

"Oh, dear. I see we aren't wasting any time here," Erlathan sighs, pulling a shiny marble stick out of his pack. "I've heard this called many things, but let's not pretend it's something it isn't. Trusted magic missile, away!" He points the stick forward and out shoots a blast of pure white magic, headed straight for the red-eyed Gaav.

Wand of MM: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

From where Nina sits astride Inky, she's close enough to notice the devils have already suffered wounds from the battle you've stumbled upon.

Erlathan points his wand at the red-eyed gaav and blasts it with a missile of raw arcane force.

Map & Images

Knowledge (planes) DC13:
These are gaavs, lesser host devils, small outsiders with the devil, evil, extraplanar, lawful subtypes. For every 5 you exceed the DC, you may ask a question from this list.

Round 1
Bold
may act.

Yellow Gaav (-5)
Red Gaav (-9)
---
Bishop
Hanlin
Erlathan
Nina Brightspark & Incandescence
---
Half-Orc
---
Lord Braggett & Kibble

Bishop, you're up!

Liberty's Edge

Human Male Unch Rogue 5 | AC 18*/17 (T 16*/Fl 12) | hp 28/28 | Init +4 | Fort +1 Ref +8 Will +2 | Perception +9 | Wands: CLW (44) | Mage Armour (44) | Bless Weapon (44) | Conditions: *Combat Expertise; Armor (AC 20*);

Bishop unstraps his crossbow and not wasting anytime he loads a bolt and lets it fly at the red-eyed imp.

"Gaavs? Well if they are here to welcome us then a bolt between the eyes will tell them what we think of their greeting."

Crossbow: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12
damage: 1d8 ⇒ 4

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Bishop's bolt flies wide of the mark.

The badly wounded half-orc nocks an arrow and draws back her ebony composite longbow, black feathers adorning its tips. Her lips move in silent oath, and she looses the arrow at the yellow-skinned devil. The missile connects, causing the gaav to plummet to the ground. Then she advances on her target.
Attack/CMB: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
Damage: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
Yellow Gaav's Fly Check DC25: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (6) + 11 = 17

Map & Images

Knowledge (planes) DC13:
These are gaavs, lesser host devils, small outsiders with the devil, evil, extraplanar, lawful subtypes. For every 5 you exceed the DC, you may ask a question from this list.

Round 1
Bold
may act.

Yellow Gaav (-5; prone)
Red Gaav (-9)
---
Bishop
Hanlin
Erlathan
Nina Brightspark & Incandescence
---
Half-Orc
---
Lord Braggett & Kibble

Lord Braggett & Kibble, you're up!

Silver Crusade

HP: 53/53 l AC: 20, T 13, FF 18 l CMD 19 l F +7, R +5, W +5; +2 vs. illusions, +2 vs. fear/despair l Bond Senses (6/6), Eternal Hope (1/1), Maker's Call (1/1), Summon Monster III (6/6) l L1: 5/5, L2: 4/4 l Init +2 l Senses: Low-Light Vision, Perception -1
Skills:
Craft: Carpentry +10, Intimidate +7,Kn. Arcana +7, Kn. Religion +6, Kn. Dungeoneering +5, Kn. Planes +9, Kn. Engineering +7, Ride +10, Spellcraft +8, UMD +7
Female Gnome Unchained Summoner 6/Fighter (Dragoon) 1 l Active Conditions:

"Ohmygoshthatwasawesome!" Nina squeals with delight as the half-orc shoots one of the devils out of the air. "I wish I were that good at archery!"

Sovereign Court

Sir Kibble:
HP: 29/32 | AC: 19/13/16 | CMD: 18 | F: +6, R: +7, W: +2; +4 vs. fear and emotion effects | Speed: 50' (35' when mounted) | Perception: +1; +2 when carrying Braggett, Low-light vision, Scent | Init: +3
Male Gnome cavalier (Emissary) 5 | HP: 38/39 | AC: 20/12/19 22/12/21 | CMD: 18 | F: +6, R: +3, W: +5; +2 vs. illusions/fear/despair | Spd: 20' | Per: +10; +2 when riding Kibble, Low-light vision | Init :+1 | Challenge: 1/2 | Eternal Hope: 0/1 | Wand CLW 29/50 | Conditions:

Know. Planes: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13 breadth of knowledge

Lord Braggett wisely takes his time to assess the situation before acting, What? Where? What's happening? But with one devil on the ground, and a clear path in front of him, Braggett finally reaches for his flail and charges, "Haha! We shall make short work of these devils..." He says as he whirls his flail overhead, the satisfying whirring sound reaches it's crescendo just as he strikes at the downed gaav, "Take that!". Sir Kibble follows up with an attack of his own, snapping at the wings of the evil creature.

Braggett and Kibble actions:
Braggett
Free action: Ride check to Attack in same round as Kibble
Full action: Draw and charge!

Ride Check (Attack in same round as Kibble) | DC 10: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18

Atk. Mwk Flail; Power Attack, Cavalier Charge: 1d20 + 7 - 1 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 7 - 1 + 4 = 12 Keeps full AC bonus.
Dmg. Bludgeoning; Power Attack: 1d6 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 + 2 = 9

Kibble:
Full action: Charge!

Atk. Bite: 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 4 + 2 = 13 -2 AC
Dmg. BPS: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8


Out of turn actions:

The first time Kibble is hit in a round, Braggett will use the Mounted Combat feat, and as an immediate action to try and negate any damage. The hit is negated if the Ride check result is greater than the opponent's attack roll.

Ride Check (Mounted Combat): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16

For the first two adjacent allies (including Braggett) who are targeted for an attack, Kibble will use the Bodyguard feat to use an AoO and boost their AC.

Aid another (AC) | DC 10: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
Aid another (AC) | DC 10: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Lord Braggett spurs Kibble, raising his flail and charging the gaav knocked to the ground by the half-orc's arrow. The devil dodges Braggett's flail, but Kibble bites the creature. The dog finds it difficult to sink his canines into its infernal flesh.

The red-eyed gaav races over to support its partner. (Nina may attempt an AoO.)
The yellow-skinned gaav scrambles to its feet. (Lord Braggett & Kibble may each attempt an AoO.)
The devils swarm Kibble, trying to take down Lord Braggett's mount. The yellow-skinned gaav rakes its claws against Kibble's ribs, but the dog dodges the red-eyed gaav's scatch.
Yellow Claw #1 vs Kibble, Flank: 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 6 + 2 = 21
Red Claw #1 vs Kibble, Flank: 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 6 + 2 = 12
Yellow's Claw Damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

Map & Images

Round 2
Bold
may act.

Yellow Gaav (-8)
Red Gaav (-9)
---
Bishop
Hanlin
Erlathan
Nina Brightspark & Incandescence

---
Half-Orc
---
Lord Braggett &
Kibble (-5)

Bishop, Hanlin, Erlathan, Nina & Inky, you're up!

Silver Crusade

Male Human Cleric 7 HP 52/52 | AC (24)21, T 12, FF 19 |Wands: CLW: 34/50 Bless: 29/50 Prot Evil: 50/50 Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10 ToG 6/6 Channel 5/8 | Effects: Comprehend Languages, Daylight

Hanlin continues moving towards the middle of the battle, flipping his light shield off his back and on to his arm as he goes, once again he reaches his left hand, palm forward, towards the Devils "I said begone!" The golden burst of energy flies out in all directions for the second time.

Channel to Harm Evil Outsiders, Will Save DC15 for Half: 1d6 ⇒ 6

Move + Swift to don light quickdraw shield, standard to channel, 4/6 left.

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Yellow Will Save DC15: 1d20 ⇒ 3
Red Will Save DC15: 1d20 ⇒ 5

Hanlin slays the two denizens of Hell with another blast of Iomedae-granted divine power.

Victory!

---

The half-orc woman takes a knee, leaning on her ebony, feather-adorned longbow, exhausted after the battle and bleeding from several deep wounds that penetrated her fine studded leather. A light wooden shield hangs on her back, and a masterwork shortsword is sheathed at her belt. She’s a strong-looking half-orc with pale green skin and wide, kind eyes. Her Common is rough and rife with syntactical errors, but intelligible.

"My thanks for rescuing me, strangers. I am called Vegazi."

Silver Crusade

Male Human Cleric 7 HP 52/52 | AC (24)21, T 12, FF 19 |Wands: CLW: 34/50 Bless: 29/50 Prot Evil: 50/50 Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10 ToG 6/6 Channel 5/8 | Effects: Comprehend Languages, Daylight

Hanlin sheaths his sword and quickly slings his shield over his back. He draws out his silver light mace and makes sure the two fiends stay dead. As he does he responds to Vegazi "Greetings Vegazi. I am Hanlin, priest of Iomedae, and glad we got here in time to lend a hand." He raises his tattooed palm and smiles with a grin.

Once that grizzly work is complete, he wipes his mace on the grass and heads over to see what he can't do with her wounds. "If you'll allow me, I'll restore some of your health with this wand here."

If Allowed:

Wand of Cure Light Wounds: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7
Wand of Cure Light Wounds: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Wand of Cure Light Wounds: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6

"What happened here? We're on our way to meet with Arwyll."

Diplomacy, Because saving ones's ass is Diplomatic as s~@%.: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

The half-orc Vegazi looks at the cleric, mouth agape, stunned that a human would offer her further aid.

"Thank you, Hanlin, Priest of Iomedae, for your healing magic. I, Vegazi, witnessed the goddess working through you to slay those gaav devils. The goddess must favor her priest, indeed."

Fully healed, she clasps Hanlin's forearm and rises to her feet. Hanlin looks down and sees she wears what looks like a signet ring on her little finger.

"'What happened here?' The devils attacked the humans, who were from Arwyll Stead. The humans died. And so did the devils and their leader." She pauses. "We survived. That's life. And death."

Vegazi begins scouring the battlefield, examining the bodies and their equipment, and occasionally stopping to examine tracks in the blood-stained earth.

For slaying the devils, fully healing her wounds and showing respect, Hanlin's relationship with Vegazi improves: Relationship Score - 4; Relationship Level - 'Association.' (Ultimate Campaign, pp. 176-177)

Silver Crusade

Male Human Cleric 7 HP 52/52 | AC (24)21, T 12, FF 19 |Wands: CLW: 34/50 Bless: 29/50 Prot Evil: 50/50 Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10 ToG 6/6 Channel 5/8 | Effects: Comprehend Languages, Daylight

K Nobility vs Signet: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19

"Anyone who helps slay Devils is an ally in my book; human, orc, or a mix between."

Hanlin waves the others along to help look through the fallen for signs of life or identity "So you weren't with this band of men from Arwyll Stead? What brings you to this fight then?"

He stoops down to check on a man but sees a discreet spear hole through his chest as he does, sighs and mutters a short prayer for the man. "We should find the leaders of both forces here, they'll likely have the most answers."

Sovereign Court

CG Elf Arcanist 8 | HP: 58/58 | AC: 13 (T: 13, F: 10) | CMB: +3, CMD: 16 | F: +5, R: +6, W: +8 | Init: +9 | Perc: +11 | Speed 30 | Arcane Reservoir remaining: 7/11 | Low-light vision | Reroll | Conditions: Sickened

Erlathan tosses his wand back into his pack and moves up behind Hanlin, peeking over his shoulder and squinting at the half-orc. "Is.. Is it safe?"

When Vegazi speaks with civility and calm, Erlathan drops his guard and steps out in front. "Greetings, Vegazi. Erlathan here, tentacles and all. Pay no mind to them, I assure you they only mean to detract from what would have otherwise been an immaculate face. Yes, I think of them as a common mole by now." He smiles.

"Say, Vegazi, what do you know of the slain humans? And the devil leader, what should we know about him? Her? .. It?" Erlathan follows behind her, examining the corpses.

Sovereign Court

Sir Kibble:
HP: 29/32 | AC: 19/13/16 | CMD: 18 | F: +6, R: +7, W: +2; +4 vs. fear and emotion effects | Speed: 50' (35' when mounted) | Perception: +1; +2 when carrying Braggett, Low-light vision, Scent | Init: +3
Male Gnome cavalier (Emissary) 5 | HP: 38/39 | AC: 20/12/19 22/12/21 | CMD: 18 | F: +6, R: +3, W: +5; +2 vs. illusions/fear/despair | Spd: 20' | Per: +10; +2 when riding Kibble, Low-light vision | Init :+1 | Challenge: 1/2 | Eternal Hope: 0/1 | Wand CLW 29/50 | Conditions:

Lord Braggett pats Sir Kibble on his uninjured side, "Good show, Sir Kibble! Just remember to dodge the claws next time, eh?" He eyes the scratches in the wolf's side with some concern, and although the wounds are not too serious, he makes a note to ask Hanlin for some help with his wand later. He then gives Nina a nod of respect as he stows away his flail, "That was mighty knightly of you, young Brightspark! Charging in without the slightest thought for your personal safety..." He looks around the the rest of his comrades with a satisfied smile, "The Venture-Captain certainly assigned the right team for this task!"

Braggett rides over to the half-orc, chest puffed out proudly, "My Lady, it was our knightly duty to assist a damsel in distress!" He glances at her impressive bow and adds, "Even if said damsel can more than handle herself." He salutes Vegazi, and introduces himself properly, "Lord Braggett Fizzlebotham the Fourth, at your service! If you require escort to safety, I would be only too willing to volunteer our services. However, may I ask you one question before we get to work sorting through the fallen... You speak of the humans as if they are not with you. Are you not affiliated with those here?"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Vegazi's signet ring displays a badger, but Hanlin has never seen the crest before.

Vegazi hears your questions, but she seems uncomfortable talking about herself, "I have lived among the hills in this region for many years and long ago abandoned my forebears’ tribe."

Among the dead are three human scouts, a priest, and their leader. Among the humans’ gear that is still intact is a chain shirt, two suits of studded leather, 15 arrows, three longswords, and a shortbow. The priest’s body carries a silver holy symbol of Iomedae and a flask of holy water. Most of the weapons and armor are adorned with the mesa-and-sunburst insignia. Vegazi points to the insignia and says, "Arwyll Stead, which means they can’t be sold in town. But if returned to Arwyll Stead, their leaders might offer a reward."

Perception DC 12:

Hanlin: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13
Nina: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (1) - 1 = 0
Incandescence: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
Braggett: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21
Kibble: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12
Bishop: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22
Erlathan: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9

Searching the body of the scouts’ apparent leader, Bishop, Hanlin, and Lord Braggett discover a note addressed to the late commander.

Wate Arwyll was outfitted with some useful equipment. The items are clearly marked with what must be the Arwyll crest, a badger standing its ground, and rightfully belong to the Arwyll family. He bore a masterwork longsword, a masterwork mithral chain shirt, and a masterwork heavy mithral shield. He also wore an obsidian arrowhead necklace around his neck and a silver signet ring. (Hanlin realizes the crest is very similar to the image on the signet ring Vegazi wears.) Wate had one potion left on his person when he died.

Perception, Craft (Alchemy), or Detect Magic and Spellcraft DC18:
It's a potion of cure moderate wounds.

There are also a half-dozen quickly disintegrating gaav devils. The devils have nothing of note aside from their masterwork spears.

Vegazi stands over the body of their leader, staring down at it, a troubled expression on her face.

The corpse is that of an orc-descended tiefling with thin horns curling from her brow, a mane of crimson hair, and knobby, undeveloped wing stumps on her shoulders. The slain tiefling wears dirty black robes and an ornamental necklace of black feathers with several tokens attached. Near the body lies a quarterstaff outfitted with tribal fetishes. Searching her, you find a single scroll.

Read Magic or Spellcraft DC23:
It's a scroll of See Invisibility.

Detect Magic and Spellcraft DC27:
Attached to the feather necklace are two bird and one whip feather tokens.

Finally, Vegazi says, "I haven't spoken to people in a long time."

1 to 50 of 1,595 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Lorenzo's PFS-Sanctioned Module: Daughters of Fury All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.