GM Lorenzo's #4-11: The Disappeared (Subtier 4-5) (Inactive)

Game Master Lawrence Smith 2

Maps, Handouts, and More!
Spell & AoE Templates


1 to 50 of 353 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>
Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Scenario #4-11: The Disappeared (Subtier 4-5)

A powerful ally of the Pathfinder Society has disappeared, and no one but the Pathfinders even remembers that she ever existed. Can the PCs discover the fate of their missing associate, or will all memory of her be erased completely from history?

Written by Jonathan H. Keith
---
This is a closed campaign.
Instructions: Once you have been accepted into the party by the GM, please "ninja-dot" here in order to enter this scenario into the list of your campaign threads.
PbP TIP: To "ninja-dot," post on this thread, and immediately afterword, delete the post. Why? To keep the campaign thread clear of unnecessary clutter. Clutter belongs on the discussion thread, instead.

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
M CG Slyph Magus-4 HP-31 AC-18 (13tch) Init +8 Perc +0

.

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

At the sound of a bark from behind the solid walnut door, Ms. Coppercoin rises from her desk and ushers you into the venture-captain's office.

Ambrus Valsin’s mission briefing will be hard to forget.

"Pathfinders," Valsin booms in the briefing chamber within the Grand Lodge, "Zarta Dralneen no longer exists. She never existed. She’s never worked for the Chelish embassy here in Absalom, and she’s never been in charge of the Chelish Pathfinders." The venture-captain snorts in contempt. "At least that’s what I was told, repeatedly, to my face, through three layers of Chelish bureaucrats. I know those people, and they all knew Zarta. They didn’t just forget about her. She’s been 'disappeared.'"

He gets up from his desk and paces back and forth around his spacious office. Bulging veins on his forehead pulse beneath his furrowed brow.

"I don’t know where she went, and I don’t know who took her. What I need you to do for me is to go into the Chelish embassy and find out as much as you can by snooping around a bit."

Valsin ticks off each of your key tasks on his fingers. "I want to know where Zarta is, I want to know who took her, and I want to know why she was taken."

Sense Motive DC35:
His concern seems to be, em, personal as well as professional. He clearly doesn’t want anyone to realize that.

Dark Archive

M NG Samsaran Wizard 6 | HP: 38/38 | AC: (17) (13 Tch, (14) FF) | CMB: +2, CMD: 15 | F: +4, R: +5, W: +5 | Init: +8 | Perc: +0, SM: +0 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 3rd 9/4 2nd 6/6 1st 6/6 |

Barbo looks down at his pet pig before entering the room. "Babe, stay. Use the litter box if you need to tinkle. " Bending down, he offers the little lady a warm smile before turning for the office. Behind him, the pig shows zero signs of understanding and sits down in the center of the room, staring at the now closed office door.

After receiving the briefing, Barbo pauses, in shock. Zarta? How could someone so powerful, and so beautiful be taken? Only a great wizard, or assassin could have taken her against her will, without a trace. The older man furrows his brow, concentrating on the task. "If I've heard correctly, the lady had quite a few holdings. Have you looked into what happened to her properties? "

After listening to his response, and the questions of others, Barbo offers another question. "Do we have any other contacts within the Chelish embassy? " He waits, hesitant. Oh, I hope there are. It is so hard to sneak into places when your skin is dark blue. Afterwards, the wizard wracks his brain for information on the Chelish embassy and it's location.

Knowledge (Local): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (20) + 11 = 31

The Concordance

HP: 32/32 l AC: 12 (16), T 12, FF 10 l CMD 14 l F +3, R +3, W +5 l L1: 1/4, L2: 1/3, L3: 2/2 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +1
Skills:
Diplomacy +10, Handle Animal +5, Kn. Arcana/Local +10, Kn. History/Planes +7, Kn. Nature +8, Linguistics +5, Spellcraft +10, UMD +6
Female Half-Elf Witch (Dimensional Occultist) 5 l Active Conditions: She Can Fly! Also, Mage Armor

"Disappeared?" Fran frowns, looking troubled. She raises her hand. "Um, Venture-Captain Valsin? How long ago do you think she was taken? And Barbo has a good question too, is there anyone else in Cheliax that we could talk to that might actually be willing to talk to us?"

Grand Lodge

AC 14, T 14, FF 11, hp 21/25 F +2, R+4, W +4 Female human (Ulfen) sorcerer 5 Int +2; Low Light; Perception +9 | Base Atk +2; CMB +1; CMD 14

Einn enters the room Quete following along with her. She takes a seat and looks absolutely stunned that Zarta Dralneen is missing. She's been "disappeared"? We had dinner with her not long ago. I now she's a real person. I've seen her.

"That sounds bad. What exactly is disappeared? That can't be possible she's a very famous and well known person."

Dark Archive

Female LN Dhampir Oracle (Dual-Cursed) 6 | HP: 45/45 | AC: 18 (13 T, 16 FL) | CMB: +3, CMD: 16 | F: +4, R: +5, W: +6 (+2 all saves vs Disease & Mind-Affecting | Speed 30ft | Spells: 1st 8/8 | 2nd 6/6 | 3rd 4/4 | SLA 1/2 Active conditions: None

Lady Vanessa derisively dismisses the entire premise. "Humpph. Zhese Chelaxians can be so opaque. Zarta has been a personal friend ov mine for ... vell, let's just say, longer zhan she'd like for me to admit. She's zhe vun zhat ... recruited me into zhe Society in zhe first place. Ve all know her, some ov us more ... intimately zhan ozhers. But zhere's no kwvestion she exists." She spits the last part out, clearly irritated at how stupid the Chelaxians must be to think anyone would believe that the fabulous Zarta never existed.

She then pops open a lovely black hand fan, takes a deep breath, and attempts to address Fran's question from her personal experience, "Fran, daahling, alzho I'm from Nidal originally, I'm also related by ... blood ... to a few ov zhe minor noble houses in both Cheliax and Ustalav. (It's a long story.) But I don't sink any ov my contacts are in Absalom right now. And if zhe government is stonevhalling even our esteemed Captain," whom she regards with eye contact and a coy smile, "I doubt ve'll get anyvhere vith a direct approach."

"So, Ambrus," she says quite familiarly, "you vant us to go to zhe Embassy. But vhy do I suspect you have some kind ov a plan in mind?"

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Venture-Captain Ambrus Valsin holds up his hands, demanding quiet and urging caution and restraint.

"We can’t afford to offend Cheliax, so you’ll have to infiltrate their embassy quietly. I’ve devised a cover story that should get you in the side door with orders to see the new Chelish ambassador. An ongoing diplomatic gala scheduled for the same time and a clever ruse by Venture-Captain Amara Li—who’s also attending the gala—will keep the ambassador busy, but you’ll have to act quickly, if you want to secure the information we need, before he arrives to meet you. You must get into the embassy, get what we need, and get back out of the embassy without the Chelaxians ever catching on that we’ve been rooting around."

The venture-captain waits to make sure the need for discretion is clear to all of you. Then he tosses a rolled leather portfolio onto the table.

"Here’s a packet of information that bears on Chelish interests in Sargava. It’s legitimate intelligence that we probably would’ve passed on to Zarta eventually anyway and that we’re willing to give up for free as our ticket into the building."

Which one of you is going to be carrying the packet?

Scarab Sages

M CG Slyph Magus-4 HP-31 AC-18 (13tch) Init +8 Perc +0

(looking the Venture-Captain sternly),"Chelaxians have never been known for the honesty...particularly if it is going to expose one of their dark secrets."

(eyeing the packet of information), "If finding Zarta will help the Society and if it has the remotest of possibilities of giving some Chelaxian Devil-Worshiping-Scum a black-eye... then count me in."

(with a wry smile), "And pulling the wool over the Ambassadors eyes?" That sounds like a significant source of amusement."

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Valsin sits back down at his desk and invites you all to sit as well. The dark leather chairs and sofas are exquisite. He pours himself a whiskey from a bottle bearing a renowned Kaer Maga maker’s mark, and he offers the bottle to anyone else who’d care for a drink. The many coasters lying about indicate the number of Pathfinder agents who flow through his office.

"You’ll enter the embassy through the north entrance of the residential wing, where Chelish imperial security receives all of their informants. Even if you have a good cover story, you might have difficulty getting past the guards there—if necessary, you’ll have to resort to bribing your way through. Once you’re in, the guards will likely make you wait for the ambassador when you tell them you have important information for him. Don’t give it to anyone else, since once they have the information there will be no reason for them not to show you the door."

That precaution seems obvious, but the venture-captain waits for your affirmative nods before continuing.

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

"Amara Li will keep the ambassador pinned down at the gala, while you break out of the waiting room and snoop around."

"She will also meet you just before you enter the gala to cast a message spell on you, just in case you need to keep in touch during your mission. You just need to make your way to Zarta’s chambers—they’re in the southwest corner of the residential wing, but you’ll have to find a route that doesn’t intersect with the gala’s attendees or residents of the embassy."

He holds up one forefinger. "Try to get in and out in less than an hour. That’s my best estimate at how long the gala and Li can keep the ambassador preoccupied."

"Once you’ve got the information and made it back to the waiting area, you just have to wait for the ambassador to find time to see you."

Once that’s understood, Valsin provides more information about embassy officials you’ll likely encounter.

"My informants tell me that Ailenia Hospar, one of the clerks you’ll likely run into at the embassy, is addicted to shiver. I’ve procured some of the drug for you to slip her if she initially proves less than accommodating." Considering the skills of his assembled field agents for a moment, he finally passes the silver piece-bag of pesh to Lady Vanessa.

"You may also have to deal with Anstrella Trelax, the pompous night-duty officer. Don't piss her off and jeopardize the mission."

"Beyond that, what you’ll face is beyond my knowledge. I’ve requisitioned several items that might help you in your mission."

He rings a small bell on his desk, and Ms. Coppercoin enters the office.

The comely half-orc hands him a small tray of items, "Two scrolls of disguise self, as well as two elixirs of hiding, compliments of the Master of Scrolls. Use them wisely."

In a gruff voice, Ambrus Valsin concludes your briefing, "Gather what equipment you need, and get going. Don’t be late. Good luck, Pathfinders."

Dark Archive

M NG Samsaran Wizard 6 | HP: 38/38 | AC: (17) (13 Tch, (14) FF) | CMB: +2, CMD: 15 | F: +4, R: +5, W: +5 | Init: +8 | Perc: +0, SM: +0 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 3rd 9/4 2nd 6/6 1st 6/6 |

Barbo smiles at the prospect of the night's endeavors. "That's why you brought me in. Yes, while parties are not my forte, my illusions should be quite helpful. " The old man smiles at the Master of Scroll's items. "Yes, this should go quite well. Tell me Captain. If Li is with us, casting Message, who will be holding off the ambassador? " He looks a little confused now, trying to keep up. "I would hate for the fun to be interrupted before we're finished. "

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

The venture-captain replies, "A lady can usually find any number of excuses to step away from the party for a moment. She'll be expecting you once you've made it past the entryway on your own."

(How is the party distributing the scrolls and elixirs? Also still need to hear from you about who's carrying the packet of intelligence. Lady Vanessa has the pesh.)

The Concordance

HP: 32/32 l AC: 12 (16), T 12, FF 10 l CMD 14 l F +3, R +3, W +5 l L1: 1/4, L2: 1/3, L3: 2/2 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +1
Skills:
Diplomacy +10, Handle Animal +5, Kn. Arcana/Local +10, Kn. History/Planes +7, Kn. Nature +8, Linguistics +5, Spellcraft +10, UMD +6
Female Half-Elf Witch (Dimensional Occultist) 5 l Active Conditions: She Can Fly! Also, Mage Armor

As the nature of their mission becomes clearer, Fran's expression actually brightens a bit. "Oh, infiltration! Mr. Sunshine and I got lots of experience with doing that in Tamran so this shouldn't be too hard to do."

"Hmm...maybe I should take one of the elixirs? I can activate the scrolls but it would take some effort...Barbo would probably be able to do it with no problems though," Fran adds, pondering the supplies they'd been given.

She looks around for a moment, waiting to see if anyone volunteers to carry the intelligence packet. "Um...I guess I could hold on to it for now if no one else wants to carry it?"

The Concordance

HP: 16/16 l AC: 17, T 14, FF 15 l CMD 8, 12 vs. trip l F +1, R +4, W +5 l Init +2 l Senses: Perception +5, Low Light Vision, Scent
Skills:
Climb +6, Stealth +14
Male Cat Familiar 5 l Active Conditions:

Mr. Sunshine also listens to the briefing carefully before adding his own two coppers on the matter.

"Maow."

This doesn't sound as bad as last time, Fran. Just let me know if I need to help snoop or make a distraction!

Grand Lodge

AC 14, T 14, FF 11, hp 21/25 F +2, R+4, W +4 Female human (Ulfen) sorcerer 5 Int +2; Low Light; Perception +9 | Base Atk +2; CMB +1; CMD 14

Einn nods her understanding of the mission. "I can activate the scrolls. Would you like me to carry them? I can also carry the packet of intelligence if no one wants that responsibility."

"I have spells that can make someone invisible, but I don't have a way to make us silent."

"Venture Captain. Do you have a map of the embassy grounds and buildings? I'd like to see a layout before we're running down strange hallways looking for a specific room."

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Ambrus Valsin replies to Einn, "A map? No, Zarta never got around to providing us that. If you have the opportunity to map out the place while you're inside, that would be a valuable piece of intelligence. But don't let it distract you from your primary mission."

He pushes the folio of intelligence across his desk toward Fran. "Don't lose it, and don't give it to anyone but the ambassador."

(Seems Einn has both scrolls of disguise self and Fran took one elixir of hiding and the intel packet. One elixir of hiding left. Who's got it?)

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
M NG Samsaran Wizard 6 | HP: 38/38 | AC: (17) (13 Tch, (14) FF) | CMB: +2, CMD: 15 | F: +4, R: +5, W: +5 | Init: +8 | Perc: +0, SM: +0 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 3rd 9/4 2nd 6/6 1st 6/6 |

Barbo looks at Thysius with one eyebrow raised. "Armor is a bit louder than cloth. Perhaps you should hold the elixir for now. " Looking at Einn, he nods, appreciative. "I can help trigger those as well, when the time is right. "  At the mention of turning someone invisible, he quickly runs to his bag. He quickly pulls out a well worn spell book. Did I study that this morning? I think so...

Looking through his spell book, he claps his hands.  "Yes! I, too, can make one of us invisible. Also, I can create an area of silence around us. It was intended to quiet small children in the library, but it should work well for infiltration too. " Flipping through more pages, he points to a specific page and shows it to Einn. "I'm particularly proud of this one. She taught it to me not long ago. It can calm the spirits of everyone around me for almost half a minute. Might be helpful if a guard has an itchy trigger finger. " 

The older man continues flipping and frowns. Glitterdust. Why did I study that this morning? Glitter is for young people parties. It has been quite some time since I wore glitter to a party... He shakes his head, confused. "Also, I have quite a knack for illusions. Its amazing how many guards will fall for them! "

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

The Chelish embassy to Absalom is in the Ascendant Court, a part of the city better known for temples and cathedrals than for diplomatic and government buildings. The embassy is housed in what was once a large cathedral to Aroden, but which has been repurposed incompletely. The religious decorations and iconography in the grand chambers that the Chelaxians use to entertain visitors have been taken down and replaced with imperial symbols, Egorian school architectural flourishes, and Asmodean religious statuary.

Much of the rest of the building, on the other hand, is devoted to private quarters, office space, interrogation rooms, and the like, and these areas have been modified in a sometimes slapdash fashion, with the original artwork merely painted over, ceilings lowered to more human dimensions, and walls added or removed as necessary. Thus, much of the embassy has a messy, disorganized appearance, somewhat at odds with the usual Chelish stereotypes of rigid structure and order. Eventually the whole cathedral will be done over in the traditions of Asmodeus and Thrune, but for now redecorating remains low on the priority list.

Map & Images

You begin your mission just outside the so-called 'spy’s entrance,' a nondescript entrance in an alley that runs along the north side of the Chelish embassy. The only feature distinguishing the spy’s entrance from other doors piercing the alley walls is the presence of a guard in Chelish imperial livery.

The man sizes you up as you approach.

Sense Motive DC10:
His beady eyes linger over your fashionable, bespoke attire and expensive equipment, appraising your potential net worth.

Dark Archive

M NG Samsaran Wizard 6 | HP: 38/38 | AC: (17) (13 Tch, (14) FF) | CMB: +2, CMD: 15 | F: +4, R: +5, W: +5 | Init: +8 | Perc: +0, SM: +0 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 3rd 9/4 2nd 6/6 1st 6/6 |

Sense Motive: 1d20 ⇒ 13

Barbo walks down the alley behind the party, moving slowly. These knees, always betraying me during missions. These bones much prefer the library. But this heart far more enjoys the taste of adventure. He shifts his wizard's robes, revealing Babe beneath. This man is going to require some sweet words or sweeter coin. Let's see what we can do.

Diplomacy, Aid: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17

Barbo steps forwards and bows, ingratiating himself. "Hello, dear sir. We have some valuable information for sale. This fine lady," He gestures to Einn with a grand wave of his arm, "has a scroll which must be delivered straight to the ambassador himself." He stares at the stones below, hoping someone more refined can pick up where he left off. If SHE ever saw me bowing to a follower of Asmodeus, she wouldn't let me stand up before removing my head. He shivers, a barely perceptible quiver.

Sovereign Court

CG Male Halfling Empiricist Investigator 3 / Alchemist 2| HP: 29/30 | AC: 22 21 (16 Tch, 17 FF) | CMD: 15 | F: +5+1, R: +10+1, W: +4+1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +15+2/+16+2TF, SM: +13 | Active conditions: Cloak+1, Luck #10, Reduce Person

Sense Motive DC 35: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25
Sense Motive DC 10: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24

An obviously confident halfling meanders in as the scrolls and potions are brought in. "Thank you, Ms. Coppercoin. And we must have that evening when I return," he says with a wink.

"So I understand there is a bit of intrigue, eh? Yes, yes - I heard that bit about the Chelish embassy and all that. Piece of cake, I think. Name's Hogan. Farin Hogan. But my chums call me Fuzzfoot." He bends over and point to his bare, hairy feet.

Fuzzfoot is a charming young halfling, who seems at ease in any social situation. He has slightly messy, short cropped blond hair and green eyes. His teeth are near perfect, and he shows them often as he smiles. While not necessarily always in fine clothes, he is stylish in whatever he wears. Or at least, he thinks so.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female LN Dhampir Oracle (Dual-Cursed) 6 | HP: 45/45 | AC: 18 (13 T, 16 FL) | CMB: +3, CMD: 16 | F: +4, R: +5, W: +6 (+2 all saves vs Disease & Mind-Affecting | Speed 30ft | Spells: 1st 8/8 | 2nd 6/6 | 3rd 4/4 | SLA 1/2 Active conditions: None

"Fuzzfoot, vhat a charming name. For an eekvally charming man," Lady Vanessa's genuine compliment is accompanied by a dazzling smile.

"But daahling, you von't mind playing at being my ... servant, vill you? Only if it comes to zhat, ov course?" she adds hastily. "I mean, zhese Chelaxians might not allow a free halfling to roam about zhe embassy, given zheir ... prejudices."

"Ov course, zhose ov us zhat know better are far more appreciative of a halfling's unique ... talents," she finishes with a wink, and a conspiratorial look towards Ms. Coppercoin.

--------------------------

Lady Vanessa is clearly put out by having to use the servant's, or whatever's, entry to this gala. Clearly, the courier carrying her invitation was incompetent and got lost. As a result, she doesn't want to be seen entering this way by any of the regular guests, so she lets Barbo and Einn take the lead down the alley.

As they approach, she watches the guard....

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24

and notes how his eyes linger on more than just her attire.

She whispers to Barbo, "Barbo, daahling, I fear he may try to, how do you say, 'shake us down.'"

Scarab Sages

M CG Slyph Magus-4 HP-31 AC-18 (13tch) Init +8 Perc +0

(taking the potion) "Thanks" (Taking a long look at Einn), "Spells and the crafting of them are something I have quite a bit of experience with... so let me know if you need any help."

(Content with letting Barbo take the lead when it comes to taking to ANY Chelaxians during the course of this mission)

(Taking a long look at Farin and half smiling), "Better late than never... and a Halfling no less... the Chelexians are going to love this!" (breaks out in a short fit a laughter, before regaining his composure)

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
M CG Slyph Magus-4 HP-31 AC-18 (13tch) Init +8 Perc +0

(As they approach the guard, he positions himself on Einn's left side) Just in case things go bad... and they always seem to go bad

(Biting his bottom lip as Barbo starts his BLUFF). I hope this guy is good .

(Nods in Einn's direction and says),"That's right." (Hoping to AID Barbo's or whoevers BLUFF/Diplomacy).

Bluff: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20

(or Diplomacy at +3 for 21)

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

The guard speaks, "You lot have the privilege of speaking to Vanius Gestanian." He jabs a thumb at his armored chest. "And Vanius Gestanian don't let nary a soul pass them doors, without convincing him," the man rubs a gauntleted forefinger against his thumb, "proper-like."

He nods at Barbo's courteous greeting and at Thysius's taciturn lie. He offers Lady Vanessa a suggestive wink.

Lady Vanessa and Fuzzfoot sense the guard could be 'persuaded' to let you in, and a little gold might help, if the persuader isn't as skilled as he or she thinks.

Grand Lodge

AC 14, T 14, FF 11, hp 21/25 F +2, R+4, W +4 Female human (Ulfen) sorcerer 5 Int +2; Low Light; Perception +9 | Base Atk +2; CMB +1; CMD 14

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Einn raises an eyebrow. Me I'm supposed to convince this guy?

"It's a pleasure to meet you Mr. Gestanian. As my associate said, I have an important packet of information that I and my well armed, and very skilled associates, really must deliver to him and only him as soon as possible. You will let us pass won't you?"

She sighs as she stumbles over her words. The last question comes out quiet and not at all convincing. Shaking her head she pulls out 25 gold. "This enough to let us in?"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Vanius Gestanian seems quite accustomed to accepting such gratuities from would-be visitors at the Chelish Embassy. He accepts the coin and gives the Ulfen sorcerer a slight bow.

Then the guard flashes Lady Vanessa a leering grin. "Still need a little friendly convincing, though."

Dark Archive

Female LN Dhampir Oracle (Dual-Cursed) 6 | HP: 45/45 | AC: 18 (13 T, 16 FL) | CMB: +3, CMD: 16 | F: +4, R: +5, W: +6 (+2 all saves vs Disease & Mind-Affecting | Speed 30ft | Spells: 1st 8/8 | 2nd 6/6 | 3rd 4/4 | SLA 1/2 Active conditions: None

Lady Vanessa lightly touches Einn's arm, nudging her gently to the side, and slowly struts up to Gestanian. She dips her head slightly to whisper throatily in his ear, while purposefully letting a strand of her long black hair brush across his cheek.

"Master Gestanian, I am not a courtesan. But I do sooo enjoy making my men skvuirm vith both pain and pleazhure. Give me vhat I vant, and I'll give you vhat you deserve."

Diplomacy, Barbo Aid: 1d20 + 15 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 15 + 2 = 33

As she watches him "skvuirm" under her smoldering gaze, she gestures towards the door.

Given that the pesh is supposed to be "slipped" to the clerk, she passed it on to Fuzzfoot on the way over, as that seems more up his alley.

Sovereign Court

CG Male Halfling Empiricist Investigator 3 / Alchemist 2| HP: 29/30 | AC: 22 21 (16 Tch, 17 FF) | CMD: 15 | F: +5+1, R: +10+1, W: +4+1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +15+2/+16+2TF, SM: +13 | Active conditions: Cloak+1, Luck #10, Reduce Person

Fuzzfoot takes the package from Lady Vanessa, and it disappears into his jacket.

Following along with the servant ploy, Fuzzfoot chimes in
"Excuse me, m'lady, but now may not be the time for such daliances, despite your preference for this man. Once you business is complete with the Ambassador, perhaps you can continue your conversation with this fine gentleman?"

Diplomacy Aid: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13

Dark Archive

M NG Samsaran Wizard 6 | HP: 38/38 | AC: (17) (13 Tch, (14) FF) | CMB: +2, CMD: 15 | F: +4, R: +5, W: +5 | Init: +8 | Perc: +0, SM: +0 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 3rd 9/4 2nd 6/6 1st 6/6 |

From the periphery of his vision, Barbo can see Lady Vanessa move forward to do what she does best. His eyes widen, but he stays silent. Ooh... SHE really would not have liked this... He slowly moves his hand up to ensure his powdered wig is still on straight, despite the deep bow. I'd hate for anyone to see me have a wardrobe malfunction! Especially in front of such well dressed companions.

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Einn steps forward to lead the negotiations with the embassy guard. While her diplomatic gambit was barely noticed, with a hefty bribe and help from her companions, she convinces Vanius Gestanian to let you pass.

The Concordance

HP: 32/32 l AC: 12 (16), T 12, FF 10 l CMD 14 l F +3, R +3, W +5 l L1: 1/4, L2: 1/3, L3: 2/2 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +1
Skills:
Diplomacy +10, Handle Animal +5, Kn. Arcana/Local +10, Kn. History/Planes +7, Kn. Nature +8, Linguistics +5, Spellcraft +10, UMD +6
Female Half-Elf Witch (Dimensional Occultist) 5 l Active Conditions: She Can Fly! Also, Mage Armor

Sorry, last day or two has been busy...*sigh*

Fran blushes a little as Lady Vanessa is finally able to use the lure of her womanly assets to tip Vanius into letting them pass and she glances away to avoid meeting the man's gaze as they make their way inside.

Better the Lady than me...I'd never be brave enough to try something like that. I'd just mess it up.

Still, she can't help but think back to her first little mission in her home nation of Ustalav...and the dark, brooding man that had been one of her companions. Would he appreciate a come-on like the one Lady Vanessa had given the guard? Or maybe he was the sort who would appreciate a more understated approach...if he even liked women. Did he like women? Fran had no idea; she'd not gotten much chance to speak with him during their time together and after that she'd not seen him since, try as she might to keep an eye out for him around the Grand Lodge.

Fran sighs to herself. He'd probably not be interested in someone like her even if they were to cross paths again.

"Um, Lady Vanessa?" she whispers once they're out of earshot of Vanius. "How do you do it? I'd be too shy to try and talk to anyone like that..."
________

Fran may or may not have a crush on pregen Erasmus whom she met while investigating some strange phantom phenomena...

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Once Vanius is satisfied, he opens the door and directs you to the reception room. The red paint that covers the walls of this high-ceilinged chamber does little to hide the raised outlines of ancient religious mosaics that once decorated this former temple.

Map

Behind the chamber’s large and imposing desk sits a woman in clerk’s clothing. The polished name plate on her desk identifies her as Ailena Hospar. With narrowed gaze and an aura intransigent and bureaucratic, she regards the disruption of her game of solitaire.

"Yes?"

Perception:

Lady Vanessa Reisende: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19
Barbo Beezle: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (16) + 0 = 16
Einn Sparkbearer: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19
Fuzzfoot Hogan: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (2) + 13 = 15
Fran: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7
Thysius: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (5) + 0 = 5

Einn and Lady Vanessa notice the woman's hands trembling as she sets aside her harrow deck.

Sovereign Court

CG Male Halfling Empiricist Investigator 3 / Alchemist 2| HP: 29/30 | AC: 22 21 (16 Tch, 17 FF) | CMD: 15 | F: +5+1, R: +10+1, W: +4+1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +15+2/+16+2TF, SM: +13 | Active conditions: Cloak+1, Luck #10, Reduce Person

Fuzzfoot, playing the quiet servant here, slides over very quietly to the opening to the hallway to take a peak while the others engage.

Stealth: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (18) + 13 = 31

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

GM Roll:
1d20 ⇒ 3

The slip slips away from his companions and glances down the empty hall, spying a couple of closed doors.

(Moved Fuzzfoot's icon to where he can see. In the future, go ahead and put the icon where you want it.)

Grand Lodge

AC 14, T 14, FF 11, hp 21/25 F +2, R+4, W +4 Female human (Ulfen) sorcerer 5 Int +2; Low Light; Perception +9 | Base Atk +2; CMB +1; CMD 14

Einn smiles slightly as Lady Vanessa does her thing with the guard.

As they are admitted to the room she moves up to the desk, "Hello we have some information to give directly to the Ambassador. Can we meet with him please?" Einn gives her a bright smile, and notices the shakig. "Are you nervous? We're just here for a meeting. I assure you we won't cause you trouble."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

"Of course you do, dear." Ailena Hospar looks down at a ledger, May I have your name? What time is your appointment?"

Grand Lodge

AC 14, T 14, FF 11, hp 21/25 F +2, R+4, W +4 Female human (Ulfen) sorcerer 5 Int +2; Low Light; Perception +9 | Base Atk +2; CMB +1; CMD 14

"About five minutes from now. We just received this information, and it's important he see them right away. You can just pencil us in I'm sure."

Bluff: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
M NG Samsaran Wizard 6 | HP: 38/38 | AC: (17) (13 Tch, (14) FF) | CMB: +2, CMD: 15 | F: +4, R: +5, W: +5 | Init: +8 | Perc: +0, SM: +0 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 3rd 9/4 2nd 6/6 1st 6/6 |

Barbo follows Einn's eyes to the woman's shaking hands. "Ah, that reminds me. I believe our halfling has a... package for you." He looks at Lady Vanessa as he says it, nearly snorting out loud at his own joke.

Diplomacy, Aid: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10

Dark Archive

Female LN Dhampir Oracle (Dual-Cursed) 6 | HP: 45/45 | AC: 18 (13 T, 16 FL) | CMB: +3, CMD: 16 | F: +4, R: +5, W: +6 (+2 all saves vs Disease & Mind-Affecting | Speed 30ft | Spells: 1st 8/8 | 2nd 6/6 | 3rd 4/4 | SLA 1/2 Active conditions: None

""Fran, dearie, it's really just about confidence. You're a lovely girl, daahling, be confident in zhat, and go get vhat you vant."

---------------

Seeing Fuzzfoot slip away, Lady Vanessa slides around the other side of the desk and gets Ailena's attention.

""Zhere's a pahty here tonight, yes? I'd hate to find out too late zhat zhis information vas important to zhe going ons. I don't know if it is, or not, but vhy chance it?"

Diplomacy to Aid Einn: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (1) + 16 = 17

"I'm not sure vhat you mean, Barbo," she says, staring daggers at the Samsaran. "But vhere is zhat naughty slip anyvay?" she continues, hoping to distract Ailena from noticing where he went.

Ve vere supposed to give it to her surreptitiously. Oh, vell, ve can't all be subtle.

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Ailena Hospar is a bit miffed. "You seem like a pleasant group of strangers. But I'm afraid we don't let just anyone into the Embassy of Infernal Cheliax and demand a meeting with the ambassador." The bureaucrat takes a deep, shuddering breath, "I'll ask you one more time for your names. There's no need to call security, is there?" She arches one eyebrow.

Wait, did one of them mention a slip? I don't see a slip. And a package? What package?

The Concordance

HP: 16/16 l AC: 17, T 14, FF 15 l CMD 8, 12 vs. trip l F +1, R +4, W +5 l Init +2 l Senses: Perception +5, Low Light Vision, Scent
Skills:
Climb +6, Stealth +14
Male Cat Familiar 5 l Active Conditions:

Oh dear, she seems to be getting cross. Don't worry Fran, I will help!

Mr. Sunshine trots forward and hops up on the woman's desk, sniffing curiously at her before flopping himself down atop her cards. He rolls onto his side and waves his paws at her, purring.

No one can resist a fuzzy kitty tum, right?

Diplomacy (Aid): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17

Grand Lodge

Let the Sh@# Storm begin.

"Damn halflings... they are no better than goblins most of the time, minus the smell of course!"

Diplomacy (Aid): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Ailena Hospar stares at all of you, dumbfounded. "You enter the Embassy of Infernal Cheliax and demand to see the ambassador. I politely request that you identify yourselves. You decline. You mention slips and mysterious packages, yet you fail to show either."

She looks at the signal bell on her desk, ready to ring it. "A reasonable person might become suspicious of such visitors, behaving so strangely. Names. Now. Package. Now. If you've got a stray slip, put him on a leash. Now."

She's smiling through gritted teeth, exasperated by your friendly but obstinate refusal to reveal your names, a very reasonable request, and desperately wanting to scratch a certain itch...

Dark Archive

M NG Samsaran Wizard 6 | HP: 38/38 | AC: (17) (13 Tch, (14) FF) | CMB: +2, CMD: 15 | F: +4, R: +5, W: +5 | Init: +8 | Perc: +0, SM: +0 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 3rd 9/4 2nd 6/6 1st 6/6 |

Barbo looks at the beads of sweat running down the woman's brow, the slightly bloodshot eyes and the shivering hands. Then he looks at Lady Vanessa. Then he looks at Ailena. "Hrmmmm... this is the spy's entrance, yes? Pardon, we are freelancers and haven't done this before. " He looks at the group in surprise, patting Einn on the back. " Now, we have the package for the ambassador. Of course. But we cannot show this to you. It is highly confidential information, for his eyes only. " He smiles, trying to soften his words.

Diplomacy, aid: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5

Realizing his words were not going over well, he looks at Lady Vanessa pointedly. "Perhaps we can find something else for you which might help you understand... " He cocks his head to the side, eyebrows questioning where the small halfling with the package of fun went. Why is the Lady holding back? Wait a moment... where did Fuzzfoot go?!

Dark Archive

Female LN Dhampir Oracle (Dual-Cursed) 6 | HP: 45/45 | AC: 18 (13 T, 16 FL) | CMB: +3, CMD: 16 | F: +4, R: +5, W: +6 (+2 all saves vs Disease & Mind-Affecting | Speed 30ft | Spells: 1st 8/8 | 2nd 6/6 | 3rd 4/4 | SLA 1/2 Active conditions: None

"Ailena, daahling, I'm so sorry. I tsought you recognized me. I'm certain ve've met at vun ov zhe galas here. Ah, but I'm such a, how do you say, air-headed fool." She laughs lightly at her own self-deprecating comment.

Bluff: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (13) + 17 = 30

"I'm zhe Lady Vanessa Reizende of Panglois. Zhis is my entourage," she continues, pointing to each of the team in turn.

"My herald, Einn; my personal diviner and her kitty, Fran and Monsieur Sunshine; my valet, Barbo; and my ... muscle, Thysius zhe Fourth," she finishes with a smirk and a wink implying that perhaps Thysius has other ... uses.

"Now vhere did I put zhose calling cards I had made?" she asks as she begins digging through her strangely voluminous handbag. As she pulls items out that would cause grown men to faint, she attempts to drop the packet of shiver on the floor by Ailena's feet, but it ends up on the desk in front of Mr. Sunshine instead.

Dex: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

Dark Archive

Female LN Dhampir Oracle (Dual-Cursed) 6 | HP: 45/45 | AC: 18 (13 T, 16 FL) | CMB: +3, CMD: 16 | F: +4, R: +5, W: +6 (+2 all saves vs Disease & Mind-Affecting | Speed 30ft | Spells: 1st 8/8 | 2nd 6/6 | 3rd 4/4 | SLA 1/2 Active conditions: None

That's weird. I came back to check for new posts, and noticed that part of my last post got eaten.

"Daahling, you're shaking," Lady Vanessa says with genuine concern in her voice, for if this woman isn't happy, then this mission is a bust. Picking up the packet from the table, she hands it to Eilena. "Huh. I don't know how zhis got in my bag, zhat mischevious slip must hav done it, but I tsink it might help you vith zhose tremors, daahling. Please, it's yours, and forgive us for having been so rude earlier."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (8) + 15 = 23

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Ailena Hospar takes the familiar-looking packet and opens the seal with a manicured thumbnail, Chelish red polish. She slips a finger inside, and rubs a little of the powder on her gums. She closes her eyes, relishing the moment, and slips the packet into a deep pocket.

"I cannot summon the ambassador, Lady Vanessa. Let me call the staff duty officer who can. Please have a seat."

She grabs the bell on her desk and gives it two brisk rings.

The duty officer enters from an office next door, dressed much more finely than the lower functionaries. She wears an imperial dress uniform, striking in red and black.

Ailena stands, "Anstrella Trelax, this is the Lady Vanessa. She wishes to see the ambassador and present him a package."

Anstrella Trelax looks down her nose at you and mildly berates the clerk. "Ailena Hospar, we are very busy. You should have dealt with this yourself." The duty officer gives the the nervous woman a meaningful glare, twisting the riding crop in her gloved hands. Her eyes also take in the various items Lady Vanessa spilled on the desk. Eyebrows raised in silent curiosity, she glances from Lady Vanessa to Ailena Hospar, wondering what might have transpired.

Anstrella turns to you with a curt bow, clicking the heels of her high, polished cavalry boots."I must insist you hand over the package to me. The ambassador is hosting an important diplomatic event right now and cannot be disturbed."

Sovereign Court

CG Male Halfling Empiricist Investigator 3 / Alchemist 2| HP: 29/30 | AC: 22 21 (16 Tch, 17 FF) | CMD: 15 | F: +5+1, R: +10+1, W: +4+1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +15+2/+16+2TF, SM: +13 | Active conditions: Cloak+1, Luck #10, Reduce Person

The halfling hears most of the conversation, and silently curses as references are made to him.

He digs a potion of invisibility out of his pouch, and holds onto it in case he needs it quick. The then mixes up a small extract to give him heightened awareness, and drinks it down. Then he listens at the first door to the south, and if all is quiet, he will peak inside.

Perception, heightened: 1d20 + 15 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 15 + 2 = 33

Scarab Sages

M CG Slyph Magus-4 HP-31 AC-18 (13tch) Init +8 Perc +0

It might be time to start a riot...

(in a rather humble tone), "Lady Vanessa, I have told you before that slips are much more trouble than they are worth, but ISN'T your package for the Ambassador's eyes only?"

this had better work or I will be dueling my way out... but what a way to go... the bards would be singing about this for weeks. Thysius, the duelist who took out 3... no 6 Chelaxian guards single-handed.

Diplomacy(Aid): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10

1 to 50 of 353 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Scenario #4-11: The Disappeared (Subtier 4-5) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.