Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Kingmaker Combined Hex Map


Kingmaker


2 people marked this as a favorite.

So I'm running a (fantastic) Kingmaker game using Fantasy Grounds 2, but having multiple hex maps for each of the areas the PCs are exploring is very cumbersome. I have to have several map windows open at a time, and they clutter up the screen.

I would *LOVE* to have a single jpg image of each of the three regions combined (Greenbelt, Glenebon Uplands, and Hooktongue Slough). The problem is that I can't find anything like that anywhere.

So how could I combine the maps myself? I know nothing about image editing software apart from using GIMP to do basic scaling and alterations.


If you can use GIMP to do basic scaling and alterations you should manage to do some copy - paste. Just open a new project with size compared to all the maps, copy the maps, paste them in the right order to the new map, move them careful for the borders to match (more or less) and save.


I was able to find some high quality versions of the unmarked maps on google images. Then edit them to the same size and combine them in microsoft powerpoint.

It's not perfect but it does the job.


Drejk wrote:
If you can use GIMP to do basic scaling and alterations you should manage to do some copy - paste. Just open a new project with size compared to all the maps, copy the maps, paste them in the right order to the new map, move them careful for the borders to match (more or less) and save.

I should have said I know how to use the clone tool and the resize option in GIMP, and that's about it. I can never seem to select or move anything in that program (I've not even found a "hand" tool!) What little I usually can accomplish ends up in a tangle of messy layers. So I tried it, and failed.

Powerpoint, however, worked like a charm. The image is a bit blurry, but it will serve.

Sczarni

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

Extract the maps from the PDFs using an PDF Image extractor.

Take note of the width of each map, they should all have similar dimensions.

Open one of the maps in GIMP. Use Image->Canvas size to change the size of the canvas. Add to the width so that all but about 10 pixels of the next map fit. There will be overlap, so try and take care of that early. You will eventually need to resize the canvas again to remove extra after placing all of the maps together.

Open the second map as a new layer. Use the move tool to slide it around until it matches up with the first map. Like I said before, there will be some overlap. There are elements on each map that will help you in lining everything up, like rivers, edges of the forest, and roads.

Follow the same steps for maps 3 and 4.

Go to Layers->Merge visible to merge the maps. If you need to resize the canvas to take up extra on the side you can do so by trial and error. Edit->Undo or CTRL+z is your friend if you mess up.

I have all four maps set up and altered, but I don't think I can distribute them. If the Devs okay it, I might do private links but I like to avoid illegal distribution where I can.


Dotting for interest


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Any good to you?.

Note: I found it via a search; I have no ties with the creator whatsoever.

Andoran

MacFetus wrote:

Any good to you?.

Note: I found it via a search; I have no ties with the creator whatsoever.

found that one through google images, and it is now on my wall. VERY nicly done. been trying to size it to the hex paper I have, so I can expand it south. so far it's too big

Andoran

Okay, I have yet to figure out how to resize it. Or is there away to add 1-2 feet more of hex's on it. tried paint and gimp but no luck. Help please. want to add more map stuff.

Sczarni

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

For GIMP:
Go to Image > Canvas Size
On the Canvas size, click the little chain if you don't want the height and width linked.

Add on the amount you desire. You can slide the preview image around so that the extra amount is where you want it.

Note that the space is blank and transparent.

Start a new layer and make it white. Move the layer down in the order so it is under the main image.

Manipulate that layer only when adding detail to the map. This will prevent you from altering the original image.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I put all the maps together in Adobe Elements. The master image is extremely large however, so I broke it up into two halves, "east" and "west", printing each as a PDF. Each half prints nicely on an 11x17 size sheet that you can do at a print shop.
Then I use the markup tools in Adobe Acrobat Pro to note locations, cities, explored and claimed hexes, land use, etc...

Andoran

Thanks did not know about the chain thing. kept trying to get a 30x18 map and it would readjust it self. messing with it all day. finally got hex's added to a larger canvas. now trying to start with a larger hex map and than layer on the other.


Right.
So I can use Some PDF image extractor on virtually every PDF of every AP I have on my hard drive - except KM #5 which I need for the combined map, because the extractor fails to function.

Does anybody have a suggestion what I can do besides downloading the zip-file again from Paizo, uninstall Some PDF, download it again, reinstall it and get the same error?

EDIT: Nevermind, the single file per chapter zip-file worked just fine. Off to Gimp again.

Ruyan.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Card Game, Modules, Pawns, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Poster razor will help you print it out, if thats all you want to do:

http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/

This is a great utility that I use to resize and print all my play mats.

Robyn


hazardousindex wrote:

So I'm running a (fantastic) Kingmaker game using Fantasy Grounds 2, but having multiple hex maps for each of the areas the PCs are exploring is very cumbersome. I have to have several map windows open at a time, and they clutter up the screen.

I would *LOVE* to have a single jpg image of each of the three regions combined (Greenbelt, Glenebon Uplands, and Hooktongue Slough). The problem is that I can't find anything like that anywhere.

So how could I combine the maps myself? I know nothing about image editing software apart from using GIMP to do basic scaling and alterations.

I'm using maptool, and for my campaign I have created a map of the stolen lands by combining the player maps (no areas shown) from part 1-4.

I can give you that image if you want it, and it doesnt infringe on any rules from Paizo?


I'd love a copy fillipham if your ok with it. I'm planning on starting kingmaker in the next couple weeks

Dagada @gmail.com


filipham wrote:

I'm using maptool, and for my campaign I have created a map of the stolen lands by combining the player maps (no areas shown) from part 1-4.

I can give you that image if you want it, and it doesnt infringe on any rules from Paizo?

I would like that also, if you could... papa_drb@yahoo.com

thanks!

-- david
Papa.DRB

Sczarni

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

I do believe distrubiting the maps would be infringing on Paizo's policies. Otherwise, I would have sent my maps out to several people who asked for them.


If you'd like a version of the kingmaker exploration maps that does not violate Paizo's Community Use Policy, head over to my Kingmaker Campaign Site. Look in the Maps section under The Stolen Lands.

You'll find download links on that page for a Campaign Cartographer (.FCW) file, as well as a .PNG file. I already confirmed when I built the site the maps that depict Paizo material, but do not use the original artwork, are OK.

If you are using Campaign Cartographer, having a map you can easily edit as time goes on is a godsend :)


Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Cards, Maps Subscriber

I've been using paintbrush and Paint.NET for years so it's all just cut and paste stuff.

Any half-decent graphics program is fine.

Starting with the Map Folio PDF, that's all you need.

Note; that when you are combining the maps, that they don't line up exactly. It was easiest to find the overlap at the pixel level.

Combine all four into 1 map (huge). SAVE a clean copy to be your reference.
Also SAVE a clean copy of each individual map.

DO IT FIRST. NEVER SAVE OVER IT.

Saving KM maps is best done using the DATE of the map.

You can even build a slideshow of Kingmaker.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Cards, Maps Subscriber

Constantly printing out good or better quality maps of everything will use up huge amounts of ink, too.

But, the game must go on.


Hey. I sent you both the map you both requested. I hope this doesnt infringe on any Paizo rules regarding their material, but as we all own the material in question, it shouldnt matter that i just combined some of it and sent it to you :)

Importing this into maptool as a map is easy, and from there on i apply fog of war on the areas they havent covered yet, and use a very undetailed and rough map of the area for the players "overview use" just so they really feel it is unmapped wilderness.

I also sent you the player overview map, as it is not made by Paizo it shouldn't matter. That map is not made by me neither, but found on the internet at a fellow GMs site. I dont remember where i found it now but I hope he doesnt mind me sharing it either :)

If anyone else wants the rough overview map (or the combined one and you own the products already so i dont distribute), let me know and I'll send it to you as well :)

BTW: feedback and ideas for use of maps and tools for the kingmaker campaign are welcomed :) I have multiple options for uncovering areas as the players explore, but i havent decided on one yet.

I think I will land on importing some area markers into maptool as tokens (very easy) and then either reveal them as they find them, or put them on the map as they find them (less hassle with hidden layers etc.)

Shadow Lodge

filipham wrote:
If anyone else wants the rough overview map (or the combined one and you own the products already so i dont distribute), let me know and I'll send it to you as well :)

Most definitely! =D

Spoiler:
axioanarchist (at) hotmail (dot) com

Please and thankya. =)


Orthos wrote:
filipham wrote:
If anyone else wants the rough overview map (or the combined one and you own the products already so i dont distribute), let me know and I'll send it to you as well :)

Most definitely! =D

** spoiler omitted **

Please and thankya. =)

Sent now, sorry for the delay. :)


I would like to see those too! Hopefully I get to run Kingmaker soon.

Spoiler:
antti[dot]timonen90[at]gmail[dot]com


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Yup. I have the adventure path and would find both the overview/player map and the combined one useful. Right now we are just using the blank hex sheet provided, but it would be really nice to get a larger, more complete map that shows the whole area.

Spoiler:
erictaysom@gmail.com

Osirion

I would love to have a copy as well. my email is in my profile

:
redcelt32@juno(dot)com


Sent to all 3 :)


filipham wrote:
Sent to all 3 :)

Me too please. :)

Spoiler:
mindbodysoul at xnet dot co dot nz

Thankee.


Since the maps are so in demand, I uploaded both maps to a file sharing site instead now. Makes it easier for everyone :) Here is the link:

Link

Andoran

not sure if you can access this since I'm not that great with computers. But here is a map that I borrowed from another and than expanded south. should have made hex's darker cause most got covered and than I couldn't figure out how to put more in. I have started one campaign in Mor Aldenn which is where Mivon was. Will start a second group in 2 months and they will start to the east. using parts of dark-moon vale for that. The campaign will have 2 major enemies. the second is the world-wound which will need dealing with after N. But have learned alot about for-shadowing from reading these boards and hope to have some from both camp's. Purple duck games has a cool level 1 dungeon with a "worm that walks" that will work nicely, for this.
Hared part will be keeping up with both in the same world. will they ally or fight each other? we shall see.

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/kingmaker-from-the-south/maps/30963


Ick. I don't suppose someone could host that somewhere that doesn't require the installation of an EXE that does who knows what.


DMFTodd wrote:
Ick. I don't suppose someone could host that somewhere that doesn't require the installation of an EXE that does who knows what.

Not sure if you mean my link or jjaamm's link. I don't see a need for installing an EXE in either of them?

If you are talking about my link, then let me know what OS you use, as I have never encountered an issue with zip files before :)
My link is simply a zip file, a packaged format for making file sizes smaller that has been in use for the last 20 years or so in the computer world, and most OSes today have built in handling of those.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
filipham wrote:
DMFTodd wrote:
Ick. I don't suppose someone could host that somewhere that doesn't require the installation of an EXE that does who knows what.

Not sure if you mean my link or jjaamm's link. I don't see a need for installing an EXE in either of them?

If you are talking about my link, then let me know what OS you use, as I have never encountered an issue with zip files before :)
My link is simply a zip file, a packaged format for making file sizes smaller that has been in use for the last 20 years or so in the computer world, and most OSes today have built in handling of those.

It wont let me download it also.

Andoran

addd to map.

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/kingmaker-from-the-south/maps/31007


Thanks a bunch!


Much easier, thanks a bunch.

Shadow Lodge

Confirming (late) that I received mine, works perfectly, thanks a million =D

Paizo Employee Paizo Glitterati Robot

Removed a post and its replies. Uploading our maps onto file sharing sites is discouraged.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
filipham wrote:

Since the maps are so in demand, I uploaded both maps to a file sharing site instead now. Makes it easier for everyone :) Here is the link:

Link

My computer says the link now has a virus!


PJ wrote:
filipham wrote:

Since the maps are so in demand, I uploaded both maps to a file sharing site instead now. Makes it easier for everyone :) Here is the link:

Link

My computer says the link now has a virus!

I haven't used that link since i started using my own skydrive to host all my pathfinder related stuff, like maps and kingmaker e-tools (my pathfinder windows application).

http://sdrv.ms/L2gz8f

Dont know why the old link you quoted (2shared.com link) should contain a virus, but dont use it anymore if it does :)


Chris Lambertz wrote:
Removed a post and its replies. Uploading our maps onto file sharing sites is discouraged.

If this was related to my skydrive site link, why is the other link not removed (the old one to 2shared). That is the one that should be removed as it contains the combined hex map (which i assume is the reason for your companies dislike of the link).

The skydrive link contains some of my own written software tools that im trying to share with the community.. You're kinda making that harder than it should be :)

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder Adventure Path / Kingmaker / Kingmaker Combined Hex Map All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.