Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Samaritha Beldusk

The Terrible Zodin's page

210 posts. Alias of Frank Ward.


RSS

1 to 50 of 210 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>

3 people marked this as a favorite.

uhh guys, that stat array corresponds to a 44 point buy. It's a fantastic set of stats.

For the record. APs are designed with 15 pt buy.

The problem is he wants to melee and feels that he can't.

Allow him to swap two of his stats and maybe change class.

Try a summoner?


My last impression is one of disappointment. Overall I love the flavor of the occult classes. But their execution had problems I couldn't overcome.

Kineticist - didn't read as the list of powers bored me. I'll call that one bad on me.

Medium - I liked the pact binder from Radience House. Compared to that the Paizo medium is clunky at best. Some of the writing is wordy at best and confusing at worst. The occult flavor is really good, as is combining with the Harrow deck. Unfortunately, because of how powers are gained and interact with one another, you have to read and comprehend the entire thing. I did that and my opinion is that this class is designed to not do well at a lot of things. For instance, the séance ability is flavorful and brings the spirit to the attention of the whole party. But a small bonus to a situational maneuver or skill is kind of blah.

Mesmerist - strikes me as a bard archtype, but I didn't read it fully. I did note that the spell list had a bunch of spells from books I don't own. So that was another turn off.

Occultist - Again this has a lot of flavor and seems the most original of the classes. This is the class that gives me the most inspiration to actually play. But again I see complicated (and uninspired) mechanics for moderate gain. I'd rather play a bard.

Spiritualist - This really comes across as an archetype for the Summoner. I love playing a summoner for the summon monster SLA (and I hate the eidolon for getting in the way of that). Seeing a class that does the exact opposite just made me sad. I moved on.

Psychic - I found this to be the most disappointing. Again its an archetype for another class. This is the only place where I see actual psychic spells previewed and most come across as much weaker than a corresponding spell of the same level. When I had a chance to create a 4th level character for a Dragon's Demand game, I spent a lot of time reading and thinking about this class. Bottom line, I just couldn't do it and went with a sorcerer instead.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

As part of the casting of Infernal Healing you must collect a small sample of blood from the recipient. A drop on a piece of paper is fine. (If the recipient has no bloody wounds, then you must cut them.) Later, that bloody item will disappear from your possessions (no action required on your part). The act of casting Infernal Healing is agreeing to the terms of this contract.

What happens to the blood? I don't know, but it can't be good. Both healer and healee are now part of the greater plan of Evil.

As an aside, what happens when a friend lets you do illegal downloads on his computer. Usually nothing, but if the RIAA comes after you it becomes a world of hurt.

It's up to the GM if something happens, but I'm sure everyone has heard the stories of some guy that got healed and then years later was torn apart by invisible demons on the street...


Owen KC Stephens wrote:


Portal Magic
More Microsettings (like Guns of Tarnation and Pierce the Veil)
Time Themed adventure and/or setting
Alternate magic item crafting
The Genius Guide For Designing Feats, Story Feats, & Traits
Dinosaurs
Dinosaurs
Dinosaurs
Genius Guide to BBEG

I have decided to second the motion for the above items.

I would also like to see (but with a better title "The Genius Guide to Organizing those hundreds of feats and hundreds of spells into lists that can be used to separate elf magic from dwarf magic etc. Because I like my races to have different magical backgrounds and traditions."

I would like a copy of the Talented Fighter.


I just noticed that the sorcerer has the wizards spells per day table.


I see your point. Both of those things would be really nice. As would having all ten knowledge skills listed.


Imbicatus wrote:
Just use the 3e books. 3e to pathfinder is MUCH easier than 4e to pathfinder.

You may have missed the point. He wants to use the Neverwinter stuff which is only fourth.

Try this, find the Neverwinter creature you care about and note CR. Find a similar creature with the same CR that has a third edition counterpart.

In the third edition critter replace the relevant bits with the Neverwinter creature stats.

Post your conversion for others.


bump, because sharing is careing


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Today is your lucky day!

http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2ro1z?Pathfinder-Complete-Compilation-Books-of

put up just a few days ago


claudekennilol wrote:
Is there a way to edit the source (is there source somewhere?) for the neceros 1.0.8 fillable pdf? It's by far the best character sheet I've used, but there are a few details I'd like to improve. Is this at all possible?

I'm sure it is possible. I've been wanting to move some sections around for years. (Why is initive near the bottom of the sheet?)

Sadly, even if I had the full adobe program I wouldn't know how to go about it.


There is an alphabetization issue.

Should be

Summon Evil Monster
Summon Good Monster
Summon Neutral Monster

Summoner's Call

Also, Summon Good Monster doesn't have the list of monsters while Summon Nuetral Monster does.

Summon Nuetral Monster lacks information on the Counterpoised template that can be applied. (or a page number).


Summon Evil Monster from Champions of Corruption is missing from the Feat book.


This is great. I can see that you've done a lot of work on these documents.

I especially like how, on the tables, you grouped the feats by type and subtype. This will be fantastic when creating PCs and NPCs with a theme. That list alone is worth its weight in gold.

*

nosig wrote:
The Terrible Zodin wrote:

....

Also, anecdotally, in my local area, the GM pool is at most 10% of the player pool.

How is this possible?

I mean, one in seven people has to be a judge right? Unless you turn 2 players away for each table, and a always have 7 player tables...

Percentage should be something greater than 15% right?

Ok, you're right.

By our last warhorn signup there were 10 individual player signups and 2 individual GM signups. But we also have players who show up in the morning and leave in the afternoon or vice versa.

But my main point is (again anecdotally) is that if every GM farmed every boon it would still be only a fraction of the available characters. Many of which you wouldn't see because the GMs are too busy running the game.

*

I would like to point out that player replay and GM reruns are two *totally* different things.

As for boon harvesting: Are there so many GMs that in the worst case scenario you would end up with "lots and lots" of characters with the same boon?

In my experience there simply aren't that many boons worth having. There are a few (and I do mean few) that are nice, but I wouldn't want an axebeak for every character.

Also, anecdotally, in my local area, the GM pool is at most 10% of the player pool.


So it seems that the most useful thing that they do is keep tabs on each other. And occasionally save the planet from the Aboleths.

I think the only reason that *they* had to stop Earthfall was because adventure paths hadn't been invented yet. :)


The one thing I noticed is that they save the world (and everything else) from Rovagug. But then again, that served their own interests as well.

Other than spell granting, they don't seem to do much.


I, too, have been using his sheets for a long time. Speaking of a long time . . .

This thread is from 2009 and Neceros' last post was in 2011.


Sherman and Mr. Peabody.


The brains are still alive. In fact, they are the only part that is still alive.

This is similar to have your hand chopped off. You live, but the hand soon becomes dead meat.

The other issues are really DM calls. I personally would do yes to the chuul and no to the mi-go for campaign reasons only.


I played with the rule in Rise of the Runelords. We had a wizard with maximized fireball and it was an important part of our strategy for dealing with those giants. It was rare, but it helped a lot when a giant just upped and died. It never got a PC in that one though.

As an aside, it was a maze spell that took out my PC in the surprise round of the final battle.

The second time I went through RotR we used it again. I created a cohort (through leadership)because we needed a party healer. In the very first battle, she died from a failed massive damage save. (In the surprise round, too boot.)

Aside from that it didn't affect things one way or the other.

Until the final battle with Karzog. The barbarian won init, crit on a charge and Karzoug rolled a 1.

Massive letdown. We then decided to stop using the rule.

In all cases we used the 50 pts of damage version.

In the future I would suggest:

A) Big Bads are immune to it. B) mumbo jumbo up a reason that raise dead doesn't need a 5000 gp diamond to fix that death.


Everybody can hold their breath for rnds = 2*Con score (-1 rnd for every standard or full round action).

So take a breath, go underwater and stay there. 2-3 minutes later take another breath. Eventually the bats will kill you or go away. Or you will find a third solution.

One point of note: things are done by rounds in pathfinder. This means that for a particular round you are either underwater completely or you are not. So you will have to suck up damage those rounds that you breathe.


EvilPaladin wrote:
Super Sayin'[Rogue/Bard]:A class focused on spreading rumors and manipulating people subtly with words. "It would be a good idea to do X, just sayin'".

Does it get Speak Attack?


I am intrigued by this idea and want to see it more fleshed out.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Off the top of my head, it looks like your substitutions would work. It would be a definite flavor difference.

Regarding why earth = acid:

To make acid you need certain chemicals. Hydrochloric acid requires chorine (from salt). Salt comes from the ground, sulfer comes from the ground, nitrates and nitrites come from the ground. And so on.


Assuming that the normal CR calculations apply:

format line

format line

format line

(hopefully past the avatar picture)

Group Size APL
2 -1
4 0
6 +1
8 +2
12 +3
16 +4
24 +5
32 +6

Of course, milelage may vary according to build, tactics, terrain and GM bribes. Also, this pattern does break down (as noted in the APL calculation section of the books) due to action economy, so caveat emptor.


Simultaneously too many and not enough.


Here's how I do it:

when rolling 2d10 [or d(1-10 twice)] I think of it as the last 2 digits of a number

so I get
0&9=09
1&0=10
0&0=(1)00

when rolling %dice [ or d(1-10) and d(00-90)] I mentally add the values

so I get

00+9=9
10+(1)0=20
90+(1)0=100

What I have found interesting is that ten sided dice *never* have a 10 on them.


Mage armor provides an armor bonus. Shield provides a shield bonus. Because they are different bonuses (and cleverly named) they do stack.

Mage armor also lasts 1 hour/level. So you should have cast it before the encounter started.

I'll let others decide if it is worth it.


Faction missions!

If a PC belongs to some organization, give them some minor sidequest to further the goals of the organization.

Or items (like famous but rare books) to be on the lookout for.

Or even strange requests like "Sometime in the next few months (adventures) bring us the wedding ring of a left handed man."


Things I've been looking for:

Enviroment templates to make combats more interesting.

Death Curses for those unfortunate NPCs the PCs didn't actually need to kill.

A simple (1 or 2 page) weather system. Most of these that I have seen require rolling handfuls of dice to determine the exact temperature or inches of rain when all I really need to know is hot and drizzle.


Immediate danger is pretty much danger that is comming for you regardless of your actions. In the examples above, you can avoid the danger of falling by not doing the action "I'm not going on that rope."

An archer is, presumeably if able, going to shoot arrows at you even if you don't make the check.

Also, taking 10 is a way to reward people who put resources into that skill, as opposed to that other skill. They will succeed (and make it look easy) because they have actually studied that skill.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Mechalibur wrote:
Alexander Augunas wrote:

and the class's capstone is fairly bland as well (the eternal youth grand discovery isn't very impressive), but overall I think that this is a great option for an alchemist who wants to be a sometimes-healer for his party.

Since when is discovering the secret for eternal life not impressive?

It takes forever to beta test.


Try this:

keep thier sheet (or a copy). Tell them your problem and that your solution is to do the level up for them. Email the changes and additions (don't change anything previous, just do a level up). Get thier OK or thier revisions. If this process isn't done by the end of the first week, then they play thier unleveled character.

Keep doing it this way until they do it themselves.

For a lot of people, leveling up is a chore they would rather not do. (That's why it doesn't get done until push comes to shove.) This way all they have to do is say Yes to your hp and skill point additions and Maybe to your feat additions (or that's not what I had in mind).

Odds are, though, you're just stuck. Some people just won't do homework.


Zhayne wrote:

A few big ones ...

All classes (except INT-focused ones like Wizard, Magus, Psion) get at least 4 skill points per level.

I've noticed this a lot. Is there a reason that wizards et al, shouldn't benefit from those 2 extra skill points?

It's a bit like saying that you won't enforce encumberance rules for classes except barbarians, fighters etc. Or that eve ryone gets lightning reflexes for free except classes with evaision.

Is there a reason that classes who benefit naturally from high Int shouldn't actaully know more skills when classes that don't do?

My aplogies if this comes across as agressive. I am genuinally curious.


All of these reports on breakages has me thinking twice about buying any of the booster packs.


The Summoner class has a restriction when using its SLA to summon. This is the only restriction that multiple summoning has.

When using spells everybody has the option of spamming as they see fit.*

*Disclaimer: the use of spam is meant in a non-judgemental way


There are elf gates that can connect planets. There is no reason why ancient Thassilon or Azlant couldn't have had them. There is a PFS module "King Xeros of Azlant" that includes exploration of an astral ship.

So while Paizo may not have plans to do "space" stuff. They have given you the starting mechnaics to do it yourself.


In my own games I have

Malygris

Anaxagoras

Laura (the youngest of the bunch only 200 years old)

Nightmare of Flame (with a teleporting demon possessed dagger as his phylactry)


You can also let individual players decide for themselves.

I myself prefer average per level, but I once ran a campaign for a group that prefered to roll.

Compared to PFS I didn;t see much of a difference. Tactics, party build, and class builds made a bigger difference.

So I just tell people: max at first level, then every level choose roll and keep or half die plus one.


Each weapon hit. Two handed weapons have a special rule where you add an extra half of your str bonus.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

There is a third party suppliment (open design) that focusses on summoner feats. It's called The Summoners Circle; collected into the Complete Advanced Feats.

It has things like Vampiric Summons (drain your summons for healing)
Balaced Caster - no concentration check needed while mounted
Improved Shield Ally - more AC!
Shifting Wall - move your wall spells
Clockwork summons - use that instead of celestial

and more.


If you want to use the real world, it's because of testosterone levels. Or they lack the gene.

Otherwise you don't need a reason, they are a different race and have different things (like pointy ears).

Side question - what other races have beards. I'm not sure, but I don't think I have ever seen an illustration of halflings, gnomes, or orcs with beards. Although catfolk do have whiskers.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

In the end, illusions are only as powerful as the DM thinks they are.


You would be better off creating by creating some sort of fog.

It'll work even better if you shout "Now deal with the Terrible Blue Fog of Damolocles!". Your allies will know you mean illusion and your enemies won't know what to expect except for something blue and foggy.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

For mythic goals, with a bunch of gods gone, the PCs can go about creating/helping a new god.

Or if you prefer, perhaps some domains are up for grabs and a paticular diety wants one of them.


As an aside to the mechanical side:

If you want to give the classes an ancient feel utilize the 10 classes from the Advanced Class Guide playtest.

Eventually these "hybrid" classess will split into the ones we know today.


Under Investigator, p20, Inspirational Expertise (Ex)

"An investigator successfully uses a Knowlege check to identify a monster's special powers or vulnerbilities he can expend one use of inspiration pool as swift action to grant allies that can hear him and are within 30 feet of him +4 insight bonus on attack rolls against that monster or type of monster for 1 round."

"WHEN an investigator succssfully identifies a monster's special powers or vulnerbilities using a Knowledge check he can expend one use of HIS inspiration pool as A swift action to grant allies within 30 feet, who can hear him, A +4 insight bonus on attack rolls against that monster or type of monster for 1 round."

I added some words (in caps)and reworded to be more active voice.


Under Swashbuckler, p42, Cheat Death (Ex) ability

"...whenever the swashbuckler is reduces to 0 or fewer hit points ..."

should be

"...whenever the swashbuckler is REDUCED to 0 or fewer hit points ..."


Under Arcanist, page 4, first column, last paragraph

"(The only except is that she ...."

except should be exception

1 to 50 of 210 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.