Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Tora no Senaka - The Back of the Tiger

Game Master Dreaming Warforged

Trouble with Goblins can lead to a lot of places, even the other side of the world...
Jade Regent AP, now in volume 3 - The Hungry Storm


501 to 550 of 3,760 << first < prev | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | next > last >>

AC 21 (20)/T 13/FF 17; CMD 24, HP 76/76

Pavel shakes his head.
"It's two puh'past, buddy. Only suh'so much daylight luh'left- think we want to be luh'long gone before the sun sets on the muh'marsh, right? Wuh'we'll come back tomorrow, Sorin, how 'bout that?"


Twisting the strands of Fate

You make good time once past the second shipwreck. That must have been quite a storm to push those so far inland. It made you wonder whether there were any survivors...

An hour later, you reach the base of the fifty-foot-high cliff. It rises along the marsh’s southern border, its face a thick tangle of jutting rocks and bright green vines and nettles. A curtain of these thick nettle vines partially conceals a cave opening at the base of the cliff.


Male AC 17/To11/FF16, HP: 30/37 Human (Varisian/Tian mix) Cavalier 4

"Is that our destination Pavel?" Izumi asks, now tightly gripping his katana hilt, his other hand on the sheath, as if he were ready to pull the blade out at a moments notice.


AC 21 (20)/T 13/FF 17; CMD 24, HP 76/76

"Luh'looks like it. Any preparations you fuh'fellows want to make 'fore we dive in?", Pavel says as he rolls his shoulders, checking the straps on his shield and his grip on the boggard club. The typically placid ranger has an eager gleam in his eye.


Male AC 17/To11/FF16, HP: 30/37 Human (Varisian/Tian mix) Cavalier 4

Izumi suddenly releases both hilt and blade, as though just remembering that the sword is in disrepair. Unholstering his hammer, he checks his armor to make sure it's tight, then says "I am ready Pavel. Do you wish me to lead the way?"


AC 21 (20)/T 13/FF 17; CMD 24, HP 76/76

Pavel nods.
"Yuh'yer armor's thicker'n mine. I'll be right behind. Suh'Sorin, you still got them mage-lights you can cuh'conjure up? That way w'we can keep our hands free and suh'still know what we're doin'. Yer bear gonna be okay, G'Garand? Should he ruh'read guard?"


Hp: 21/30; AC:19/19/17 (22 ward, 24 PfE)
Stats:
(Mage Armor, +2 AC 1/6); DR 10/magic vs. ranged weapons (40pts); Fort+6, Ref+3, Will+5 (+2 vs. enchantments, immune sleep, resist cold 5)
Half-Elven Wizard 6

"It will be almost constant chanting to keep them active, but I can do it."

Sorin begins a low humming chant, repeating the same complicated and twisting Draconic word over and over again in a stream of gutteral hissing. Four pale lights, shedding light much like torches, twist into being over the heads of the party.

Dancing Lights. Cast repeatedly in order to maintain it...but that is what happens when you take the wrong spell. I will take Light next time.


Twisting the strands of Fate

Sorin, feel free to change the spells. We're still in the flex period. I'll keep the posting slow for personal reasons and for those of you who mentioned a busy schedule these days.

The cavern entrance is covered with a thick curtain of nettle. Access seems complicated.

Survival please.


AC 19 Touch 17) FF 16; CMD 23 (25 Grapple) Hp 58/58
Spoiler:
+4 dodge bonus FD/ 6/6 ki points

Survival: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13


AC 21 (20)/T 13/FF 17; CMD 24, HP 76/76

Survival: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18


Male AC 17/To11/FF16, HP: 30/37 Human (Varisian/Tian mix) Cavalier 4

Survival: 1d20 ⇒ 6


Twisting the strands of Fate
Pavel wrote:
Survival: 1d20+9

The nettle is poisonous.


AC 21 (20)/T 13/FF 17; CMD 24, HP 76/76

"Cuh'Careful, guys. This nettle's poisonous."

Would Pavel know the best method for clearing it away?
Knowledge- Nature: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23


Hp: 21/30; AC:19/19/17 (22 ward, 24 PfE)
Stats:
(Mage Armor, +2 AC 1/6); DR 10/magic vs. ranged weapons (40pts); Fort+6, Ref+3, Will+5 (+2 vs. enchantments, immune sleep, resist cold 5)
Half-Elven Wizard 6

Cantrip is now Light. I cast it on my crossbow.

Survival:Practical ways to remove nettle? 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12

"I am thinking that burning it might work. I don't think we have to worry about smoking out our enemies, I don't believe that they breathe when they are dead."


AC 21 (20)/T 13/FF 17; CMD 24, HP 76/76

"Erastil's uh'antlers, no! We don't wuh'want it on our skin, why would we want it in our lungs? Buh'burning it might be even wuh'worse!"

That's assuming it's like poison ivy.


Male AC 17/To11/FF16, HP: 30/37 Human (Varisian/Tian mix) Cavalier 4

Izumi will watch and listen, learning for the expertise of his companions.

Remind me when we level to take a rank of Survival.


Twisting the strands of Fate

Cutting down the nettle with a slashing polearm is safest. Witha a smaller weapon, it will either require an hour or, to do it faster, a reflex save, but from only the cutter instead of everyone as they try to move past it.


Hp: 21/30; AC:19/19/17 (22 ward, 24 PfE)
Stats:
(Mage Armor, +2 AC 1/6); DR 10/magic vs. ranged weapons (40pts); Fort+6, Ref+3, Will+5 (+2 vs. enchantments, immune sleep, resist cold 5)
Half-Elven Wizard 6

"We could, of course, just cut the stuff down and walk over it. We are all wearing boots, and this stuff shouldn't be able to puncture good leather. So, anybody know where we might find some cutting implements?" Sorin says, staring pointedly at Pavel's sword.


AC 21 (20)/T 13/FF 17; CMD 24, HP 76/76

With a testy grunt, Pavel pulls out his sword and starts slashing at the nettles.
"Stand clear."
Reflex-1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9

Andoran

(AC 19/t14/ff18, hp 62 of 68) Shoanti Cleric (of Erastil) 8

Garand mutters an incantation, beseeching the spirits of the nettle to stay their venom. Guidance on Pavel, +1 to his save.

He also offers Pavel the use of his sickle, "Your blade will be dulled by such work, and is far more useful at cutting flesh than my sickle."


AC 21 (20)/T 13/FF 17; CMD 24, HP 76/76
Garand Stone-of-the-Moon wrote:

Garand mutters an incantation, beseeching the spirits of the nettle to stay their venom. Guidance on Pavel, +1 to his save.

He also offers Pavel the use of his sickle, "Your blade will be dulled by such work, and is far more useful at cutting flesh than my sickle."

Pavel is taken aback a second, then blinks and sheathes his sword.

"Ah, yuh'yeah. Right tool for the ruh'right job, eh? Thanks."


Twisting the strands of Fate

It is hard work, but Pavel slices through the nettle in no time. Unfortunately, a miscalculated stroke brings him too close and a thorn pierce his skin. Quickly he feels a little woozy and unbalanced somewhat. (-2 dex damage, you'll recuperate one per day)

The cave entrance is all but quiet... and dark...

Is Sorin's spell the only source of light? Also, please agree on a marching order, keeping in mind that you'll need to see something.


Male AC 17/To11/FF16, HP: 30/37 Human (Varisian/Tian mix) Cavalier 4

If Sorin has Light prepared now instead.. He could theoretically cast it on each of our weapons.. but I believe it has a 1 minute (10 round) duration per cast.

"Well done Pavel." Izumi says, moving forward into the breach. "I don't think we should be too worried about the rear guard in this case, so I will take point. Pavel, you come in behind me and Raith immediately follows. Garand should be immediately behind and Sorin takes up the rear. If your... friend is too afraid of the undead then perhaps he can watch our backs for threats from the marsh Garand?" Izumi is taking charge, trying to get the group organized. Only so much daylight left.


AC 19 Touch 17) FF 16; CMD 23 (25 Grapple) Hp 58/58
Spoiler:
+4 dodge bonus FD/ 6/6 ki points

Raith looks at Pavel, "You don't look so good." He falls into his place in the order.


Hp: 21/30; AC:19/19/17 (22 ward, 24 PfE)
Stats:
(Mage Armor, +2 AC 1/6); DR 10/magic vs. ranged weapons (40pts); Fort+6, Ref+3, Will+5 (+2 vs. enchantments, immune sleep, resist cold 5)
Half-Elven Wizard 6

"It would be prudent for us to have a second light source if possible. I will carry the lantern if someone has one, and cast Light on Izumi's sword, if not, its better for me to carry the light source as I will have to re-cast the cantrip several times an hour."

Sorin's crossbow visibly glows as the group moves into the shade of the cave opening, shedding a strong, comforting yellow light that pushes back the darkness.


AC 21 (20)/T 13/FF 17; CMD 24, HP 76/76
Raith Shadar wrote:
Raith looks at Pavel, "You don't look so good." He falls into his place in the order.

"I'm just fuh'fine. N'No problem.", he replies, looking green around the gills with a little sweat beading his forehead. Pavel digs through his pack and produces a torch, which he hands to Sorin. Then, hefting his boggard club and shield he motions to Izumi.

After you.


Hp: 21/30; AC:19/19/17 (22 ward, 24 PfE)
Stats:
(Mage Armor, +2 AC 1/6); DR 10/magic vs. ranged weapons (40pts); Fort+6, Ref+3, Will+5 (+2 vs. enchantments, immune sleep, resist cold 5)
Half-Elven Wizard 6

Sorin snaps off a quick word in Draconic, igniting the torch ([ooc]Spark[/ooc). Then looking at Izumi and Pavel, he narrows his eyes.

"I have changed my mind. Pavel's shield will be a better light source than your sword Izumi. So no glowing swords today. I know that you are disappointed, but we can see about getting it glowing before we walk back into town." Sorin says grinning.

Another quick word, and Sorin taps Pavel's shield, causing it to glow with a strong yellow light. Simultaneously, the glow on Sorin's crossbow stops. Then, after readying his scrolls, and holding the torch up, he nodds his readiness to Izumi.


Twisting the strands of Fate

Driven by the flimsiness of the Fates, the group moves forth, into the belly of the beast, wherein lies their destiny...

Will update later tonight if possible.


Twisting the strands of Fate

You make your way slowly inside the cave. The air is damp and the ground is covered with a thick mud that makes the ground slippery in places. The cavern twists and splits in two, but you eventually figure out the layout of the split and where they branch back together.

Procedure further inside, you reach a point where you have to crouch to get through. The ceiling is covered with spiderweb and your hair is now covered in it.

As you reach an area where you finally can stand straight, you find a chamber halfway filled with about a foot of water. On the cavern's wall still hang putrid rotten sorts of tapestry. Along the walls, different pieces of furniture lay astray, mostly heavily damaged. Finally, you see four skeletons lying on the floor.

For now, you stand at the edge of the "room".


Male AC 17/To11/FF16, HP: 30/37 Human (Varisian/Tian mix) Cavalier 4

Izumi grips his weapon seeing the skeletons. He does a quick visual sweep of the four skeletons, looking for weapons and armour, before proceeding into the room, shield raised.


AC 21 (20)/T 13/FF 17; CMD 24, HP 76/76

Pavel holds his shield aloft, watching the skeletons for any sign of movement.
Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9


Hp: 21/30; AC:19/19/17 (22 ward, 24 PfE)
Stats:
(Mage Armor, +2 AC 1/6); DR 10/magic vs. ranged weapons (40pts); Fort+6, Ref+3, Will+5 (+2 vs. enchantments, immune sleep, resist cold 5)
Half-Elven Wizard 6

Sorin whispers, "So does anybody know how to tell if a skeleton is actually dead? I don't want to go and look at the skeletons and get bony fingers in my face."


AC 19 Touch 17) FF 16; CMD 23 (25 Grapple) Hp 58/58
Spoiler:
+4 dodge bonus FD/ 6/6 ki points

Raith tenses up, balls up his fists, and whispers, "They're going to get up aren't they?

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13


Twisting the strands of Fate

The problem with undead seems to be that they look dead... As you watch, they do not stir. You can't see any weapons on them, but they still wear ragged pieces of clothing and armour that look foreign.

Raith notices a small entrance deeper in the cavern, probably leading further in...

The arcane light dances and shifts on the walls as you try to assess the situation from the edge of the cavern...


AC 19 Touch 17) FF 16; CMD 23 (25 Grapple) Hp 58/58
Spoiler:
+4 dodge bonus FD/ 6/6 ki points

"Pavel, you see the small cave in back?", Raith points towards the deeper entrance.


AC 21 (20)/T 13/FF 17; CMD 24, HP 76/76

Pavel shakes his head, then points the lit shield toward the rear of the cave.
"Oh. Th'there it is."
Following Izumi into the room, Pavel stops to nudge a skeleton with his boot to provoke a reaction.

"Thuh'think we should break these guh'guys up first?"


Male AC 17/To11/FF16, HP: 30/37 Human (Varisian/Tian mix) Cavalier 4

"Distasteful as it is, that may be the best option Pavel." Izumi pauses halfway to the opposite tunnel to look around the cave. "It looks like this cave was... inhabited once. I wonder what happened to these folk, that they would make their home in a marsh."


AC 21 (20)/T 13/FF 17; CMD 24, HP 76/76

Pavel winds back his morningstar and pulverizes the nearest skeleton's skull.


Twisting the strands of Fate

As Pavel smashes the skull to powder, something dark stirs in the cave ahead and a low and sinuous Tien voice booms through the chamber:
"Dono yō ni Kaijutsu no kazoku no suimin o samatageru aete?"

Tien:
"How dare you disturb the sleep of the Kaijutsu family?"

As one the skeletons rise to their feet (AoO for Izumi and Pavel on the skeletons nearby, the three if they have combat reflexes), two of which emerging from the dark waters of the cave...

Post initiatives and first actions if you have a chance, I will put the map and the update tonight.


Male AC 17/To11/FF16, HP: 30/37 Human (Varisian/Tian mix) Cavalier 4

Do you know Japanese DW? My japanese is poor, sadly.

Izumi responds back in Tien:

Spoiler:

"The Kaijutsu family does not sleep! They live on!"

Izumi smashes at the skeleton nearest to the casters, making sure the battle lines do not get fuzzy. His sashimono flaps briefly as the speed of his strike causes a slight wind around him. He uses the momentum from the blow to carry him to stand side-by side with Pavel.

AoO: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18 (1d8 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8)
5-ft step next to Pavel
Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
Not sure if that initiative will win me any favours, but I'll post my actions anyway.

If another skeleton remains nearby, Izumi will strike at it, holding his shield high in case the two emerging from the water charge. Otherwise he will ready his hammer to strike anyone moving into his range.

Warhammer (immediate or readied), Combat Expertise: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9 (1d8 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4)
AC: 20


AC 21 (20)/T 13/FF 17; CMD 24, HP 76/76

"STAY DEAD!", Pavel bellows as he swings his club at the rising undead.
Attack of opportunity w/favored enemy bonus: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 161d8 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
Initiative: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7
AC is 17, due to poisoning.

He swings again at the closest skeleton, hatred contorting his face.
Morningstar w/favored enemy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 81d8 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12


Twisting the strands of Fate
Izumi Chosokate wrote:

Do you know Japanese DW? My japanese is poor, sadly.

I know Google Translate!

It might not be accurate, but it sounds right. I'm still trying to find a match for other languages like Giant or Elven...


Twisting the strands of Fate

The quick reflexes allow the warriors to smash down two of the rising skeletons. Three remain still; who knows what will emerge from the deep cave...


Hp: 21/30; AC:19/19/17 (22 ward, 24 PfE)
Stats:
(Mage Armor, +2 AC 1/6); DR 10/magic vs. ranged weapons (40pts); Fort+6, Ref+3, Will+5 (+2 vs. enchantments, immune sleep, resist cold 5)
Half-Elven Wizard 6

Inititive 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20

Unable to handle a crossbow with the torch in his hand, Sorin looks around helplessly for a moment before realizing he can do one thing to help...

Sorin kneels in the muck, his finger sketching a silver-white fire on the surface of the muck as he chants under his breath. In seconds, the densly packed writing has coalesed into a silvery pool, from which a silvery tendril rises, and wraps around Sorin's arm. Sorin raises his arm over his head before bringing his palm down to slap the pool spewing the radiance outwards. As Sorin stands, the droplets coalesce into a circle with arcane writing around the periphery that moves with Sorin in the center.

Protective Ward: 10' radius, +1 deflection bonus to AC


AC 19 Touch 17) FF 16; CMD 23 (25 Grapple) Hp 58/58
Spoiler:
+4 dodge bonus FD/ 6/6 ki points

Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22

Raith moves up with Pavel and Izumi and falls into the Crane stance. "I knew they wouldn't stay dead. They're speaking some trash about disturbing the Kaijutsu family's sleep or something. I don't like the sound of it.

Move either behind or next to Pavel.
Total Defense: AC 21/CMD 23


Twisting the strands of Fate

Sorin, you cast Light on your crossbow, no?


AC 21 (20)/T 13/FF 17; CMD 24, HP 76/76
The Celestial Bureaucracy wrote:
Sorin, you cast Light on your crossbow, no?

Nope, my shield.


Hp: 21/30; AC:19/19/17 (22 ward, 24 PfE)
Stats:
(Mage Armor, +2 AC 1/6); DR 10/magic vs. ranged weapons (40pts); Fort+6, Ref+3, Will+5 (+2 vs. enchantments, immune sleep, resist cold 5)
Half-Elven Wizard 6

Since Sorin has the torch, he put the light spell on Pavel's shield. That way they can all fight. Just call me Prometheus, and I will be cool about not being able to shoot...not that crossbows are great against hollow critters.


Twisting the strands of Fate

Secret Rolls:

Initiatives
G: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

S: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23
T: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25

23: Skeletons
22: Raith
20: Sorin
7: Pavel
6: Izumi
6: Garand

Round 1 - The Skeletons
A first skeleton, dripping with stagnant water, steps out of the shallow lake and lashes at Raith.

Secret Rolls:

2:1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5; 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5
2:1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17; 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

The nails flail in the air as Raith carefully deflects each with snapping counter blows.

Meanwhile, the other three cackle in silence and close in on Izumi and Pavel.

Secret Rolls:

1:1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8; 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
1:1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17; 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
3:1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15; 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
3:1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13; 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
4:1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7; 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
4:1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13; 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4

Pavel is slashed badly by one claw, blood pouring (-4 hp) from his shoulder along his arm, but all other attacks fail to find an opening.

From the dark cave, the low sinuous voice replies, filled with anger: ”Namaikina!!! Watashi wa Kaijutsu no kazoku no himitsu no saigo no gādiandesu. Ima no mama ni suru ka, matawa watashi wa sutikku ni no atama o motsu koto ni narimasu!”

Tien:
”Insolent!!! I am the last guardian of the Kaijutsu family secret. Leave now or I will have your head on a stick!”

Round 1 - The Companions
Raith wants to move up with Pavel and Izumi, but his path is blocked. He falls into the Crane stance. "I knew they wouldn't stay dead. They're speaking some trash about disturbing the Kaijutsu family's sleep or something. I don't like the sound of it.

Sorin kneels in the muck, his finger sketching a silver-white fire on the surface of the muck as he chants under his breath. In seconds, the densly packed writing has coalesed into a silvery pool, from which a silvery tendril rises, and wraps around Sorin's arm. Sorin raises his arm over his head before bringing his palm down to slap the pool spewing the radiance outwards. As Sorin stands, the droplets coalesce into a circle with arcane writing around the periphery that moves with Sorin in the center.

Pavel swings again at the closest skeleton, hatred contorting his face, but misses.

Izumi will strike at a skeleton, holding his shield high in case the two emerging from the water charge, but his focus is lacking.

Updated Map
Garand to close the round.

Andoran

(AC 19/t14/ff18, hp 62 of 68) Shoanti Cleric (of Erastil) 8

Garand drops his bow and readies his club, while directing bear-spirit to attack the skeleton to its west, threatening Izumi.

bear spirit moves to E/4.5, charge for +2 attack, -2 AC on skeleton 4 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24
damage 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

501 to 550 of 3,760 << first < prev | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Tora no Senaka - The Back of the Tiger - Jade Regent IC Thread All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.