Replacing Part 1 & 2 of The Worldwound Incursion (WotR Book 1)


Wrath of the Righteous


So... the first two chapters of the book (spent below Kenebres) feel out of sync with the time of the rest of the book. They're well written and have some really strong points (getting to know the NPCs) but dealing with the mongrelmen (mongrelpersons?) and various underground hazards feels like it belongs in another AP.

Obviously, the writers didn't want the PCs over their heads fighting demons at level 1, but as written the encounters in the book can be pretty brutal.

So let's assume we're foolish and vain enough to think we can replace most or all of these sections with something more on brand with the rest of the AP.

We still need to hit all the major plot points that are established in parts 1 & 2, plus develop the PCs relationship with the NPCs.

Any thoughts on how to do this? Bonus points for recycling material, particularly Hosilla (the Inquisitor).

And yeah, I know I should probably just run this as down. That's not the question being asked here.


So my initial inclination is to start the PCs (and NPCs) as captives of the cultists, allowing them some face time with named villains (Hosilla?) and a daring escape. Obviously, this has to be handled delicately as to not steal too much player agency, especially coming off of essentially a long cutscene. But I like the idea of the mythic heroes starting at absolute zero and complete darkness. This assumes cutting out the underground entirely.

This still keeps the PCs out of the way of the main demon force, and thus keeps the reveal of the ruined city.

Issues that come up:

Keeping the dragon scales. It's less interesting if the PCs just loot them and also less likely to happen. Plus we still need some way for Terendelev to save them.

There's a decent chance the PCs decide to leave the NPCs behind in their escape.

Getting the PCs to their gear without breaking immersion. The cultists generally wouldn't be stupid enough to just leave their gear in the next room.

How do the PCs get free without it feeling like yet more GM fiat? For that matter, how do they get captured?

I kind of like the idea of Horgus being the catalyst of their escape, all the while complaining, but it strays close to more GM fiat.


Artofregicide wrote:
So my initial inclination is to start the PCs (and NPCs) as captives of the cultists, allowing them some face time with named villains (Hosilla?) and a daring escape. I kind of like the idea of Horgus being the catalyst of their escape, all the while complaining, but it strays close to more GM fiat.

I would suggest a different solution. Having the pc taken prisoner it's a bad idea for many reasons. They've already gotten a dire hit with the destruction of Kerebras, and there is more than enough angst in his campaign.

Now, if you believe there is a lack of connection between this section of the story and the rest, you could have one of the Npc be aware that, somewhere in the underground of Kerebras, there is something useful for the group. It might be some sort of shelter there, possibly, a few dozen people could have taken refuge. Or a secret escape way from the city, or even some kind of reliquary were weapons are hidden, and were it was said to regroup in the event of a massive, demonic invasioni. Reaching such a place could be a fine objective.

Now, it's possible that such place does not exist, or that was repurposed by the monglermen, or that the monglermen know how to reach it while the road known by the npc has been destroyed. It could be also possible that such place is known by the enemies of Kerebras, who have send down to hunt any potential survivor. A possibility may be to introduce here a certain halfling scout from book 2, who much actually be apt to no good.


Pnakotus Detsujin wrote:
Artofregicide wrote:
So my initial inclination is to start the PCs (and NPCs) as captives of the cultists, allowing them some face time with named villains (Hosilla?) and a daring escape. I kind of like the idea of Horgus being the catalyst of their escape, all the while complaining, but it strays close to more GM fiat.

I would suggest a different solution. Having the pc taken prisoner it's a bad idea for many reasons. They've already gotten a dire hit with the destruction of Kerebras, and there is more than enough angst in his campaign.

Now, if you believe there is a lack of connection between this section of the story and the rest, you could have one of the Npc be aware that, somewhere in the underground of Kerebras, there is something useful for the group. It might be some sort of shelter there, possibly, a few dozen people could have taken refuge. Or a secret escape way from the city, or even some kind of reliquary were weapons are hidden, and were it was said to regroup in the event of a massive, demonic invasioni. Reaching such a place could be a fine objective.

Now, it's possible that such place does not exist, or that was repurposed by the monglermen, or that the monglermen know how to reach it while the road known by the npc has been destroyed. It could be also possible that such place is known by the enemies of Kerebras, who have send down to hunt any potential survivor. A possibility may be to introduce here a certain halfling scout from book 2, who much actually be apt to no good.

I more or less have the same feelings, but my thought is to remove the underground section partially or wholly, and kick off things with the fight against the cultists and demons. Cutting out the mongrelmen entirely is a big priority for me.

Capturing the PCs isn't really necessary or even a good idea but starting them at their lowest point is ideal.


I see no Major Trouble in replacing the undeground dungeon with the crowded/burning alleys of Kenabres. Have Terendelev literally jump between them and the Storm King in order to save them and get the deathblow for them. When she crashes to the ground, they are all thrown into the rubble of the disintegrating Arena.
They wake up covered in the blood and scales of their saviour,surrounded by Death and Destruction.

Hosilla could be the Head ofthe first search Party of the cultists they have to evade - getting Horgus, Anevia and Aravaschnial out of the grips of the Ivory Templars.

I recommend keeping the Encounter with the Mad Dwarf as Stanton Vanes brother/Cousin - it makes for great foreshadowing of Vane later on.

You could reskin the Meetings with the mongrelman as normal townsfolk/criminal Underground People that they Need to cope with in order to get into the right quarter of Kenabres.


DerNils wrote:

I see no Major Trouble in replacing the undeground dungeon with the crowded/burning alleys of Kenabres. Have Terendelev literally jump between them and the Storm King in order to save them and get the deathblow for them. When she crashes to the ground, they are all thrown into the rubble of the disintegrating Arena.

They wake up covered in the blood and scales of their saviour,surrounded by Death and Destruction.

Hosilla could be the Head ofthe first search Party of the cultists they have to evade - getting Horgus, Anevia and Aravaschnial out of the grips of the Ivory Templars.

I recommend keeping the Encounter with the Mad Dwarf as Stanton Vanes brother/Cousin - it makes for great foreshadowing of Vane later on.

You could reskin the Meetings with the mongrelman as normal townsfolk/criminal Underground People that they Need to cope with in order to get into the right quarter of Kenabres.

I rather like this, especially if they get to see first hand the demons carting off Terendelev's decapitated corpse.

I definitely want to keep Hosilla and Millorn, perhaps even Wenduag.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Adventure Path / Wrath of the Righteous / Replacing Part 1 & 2 of The Worldwound Incursion (WotR Book 1) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Wrath of the Righteous