DunDraCon 2019 - Feb 15th - 18th


Local Play

Shadow Lodge 5/5 5/55/5 *** Venture-Lieutenant, California—San Francisco Bay Area North & East

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Dundracon is approaching, and Pathfinder Organized Play is already taking sign-ups for games at www.warhorn.net/events/dundracon-43-pfs

San Ramon Marriott
2600 Bishop Drive • San Ramon, California 94583

Games start at 9am, 2pm, and 7pm. We've got Pathfinder 1st edition, Starfinder, and a couple of 2nd edition games. Some games are being run by their authors, such as guests of honor Michael Sayre and Greg Vaughan.

Drop by for a 4 hour game, the grand finale of Solstice Scar, or an adventure that lasts the entire convention!

5/5 *** Venture-Agent, California—San Francisco Bay Area North & East

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Woot!

I'm so excited.

If everything goes well The Witchwar Legacy with Greg Vaughan GMing should be my 1,000th xp earned in Pathfinder Society.

Looks like I've got a great bunch of yahoos to share the experience with as well.

3/5 5/55/5 *** Venture-Agent, California—San Francisco Bay Area North & East

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I am also psyched for DundraCon! I get to play scenarios with both Greg and Michael GMing, I’m running my own author slot of Beneath Unbroken Waves, and so much more fun stuff!

Paizo Employee Organized Play Developer

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kate Baker wrote:
I am also psyched for DundraCon! I get to play scenarios with both Greg and Michael GMing, I’m running my own author slot of Beneath Unbroken Waves, and so much more fun stuff!

You'll even get Society credit for this one! Though I am a little sad you won't be playing the unicorn-riding radiant princess this time around :P

3/5 5/55/5 *** Venture-Agent, California—San Francisco Bay Area North & East

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Michael Sayre wrote:
Kate Baker wrote:
I am also psyched for DundraCon! I get to play scenarios with both Greg and Michael GMing, I’m running my own author slot of Beneath Unbroken Waves, and so much more fun stuff!
You'll even get Society credit for this one! Though I am a little sad you won't be playing the unicorn-riding radiant princess this time around :P

That was super fun, but now you get to meet my kitsune con artist!

**

A few questions from a prospective first time attendee.

1. I hadn't played D&D since the 1980s prior to playing PF(1e) recently. Frankly, will I annoy others if I not only not know some rules, but have some wrong? Will it be different between PFS and non-PFS games?

2. The signup process seems opaque, perhaps intentionally so. What happens if I register for the convention, preregister for some games, and don't get into any that fit into my schedule? Can I unregister, or register for a different day? As a new player, would my chances of getting into a crowded game be equal to, less than, or greater than random selection? How far in advance of, say, a 9 am Saturday game would I have of knowing whether or not I had been selected?

3. One reason I'd like to attend the convention is that I expect someday soon I'd teach my kids RPGs, and hopefully they'd be interested in attending in the future. Would it be appropriate for me to sign up for kid-friendly games, or would that just be creepy? Would it be appropriate for me to observe a game for a bit, or would that be likewise creepy?

Thanks in advance for any help you're able to provide.

Grand Lodge 4/5 5/55/55/55/5 **** Venture-Captain, California—San Francisco Bay Area North & East

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I can answer some questions on behalf of the local PFS Lodge. You’ll have to contact the con for non-organized play answers (organized play is a small part of the overall con).

Watery Soup wrote:
1. I hadn't played D&D since the 1980s prior to playing PF(1e) recently. Frankly, will I annoy others if I not only not know some rules, but have some wrong? Will it be different between PFS and non-PFS games?

We’re always happy to have new players! The rules are the same as any other Pathfinder game, with a few extra Society-specific rules. Those can be found in the Pathfinder Society Roleplaying Guild Guide, available on this site. Most of them regard character creation, which has some restrictions for society play. If you just want to try it out, however, you can always use a Society pregen, which will be available at the event.

Watery Soup wrote:
2. The signup process seems opaque, perhaps intentionally so. What happens if I register for the convention, preregister for some games, and don't get into any that fit into my schedule? Can I unregister, or register for a different day? As a new player, would my chances of getting into a crowded game be equal to, less than, or greater than random selection? How far in advance of, say, a 9 am Saturday game would I have of knowing whether or not I had been selected?

PFS games are not part of the general DunDraCon sign up process and game lottery. Our games are all listed on our Warhorn page. If you sign up there for a PFS game, that spot is reserved for you.

Watery Soup wrote:

3. One reason I'd like to attend the convention is that I expect someday soon I'd teach my kids RPGs, and hopefully they'd be interested in attending in the future. Would it be appropriate for me to sign up for kid-friendly games, or would that just be creepy? Would it be appropriate for me to observe a game for a bit, or would that be likewise creepy?

We don’t have any child-specific games through PFS at DDC, so you’re welcome to sign up for whichever games you’d like. There may be child-specific games at DDC, but they are not a part of organized play, so you may have to contact a con organizer through their website to find out more about them.

**

Thanks!

Shadow Lodge 5/5 5/55/5 *** Venture-Lieutenant, California—San Francisco Bay Area North & East

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Dennis gave a great explanation there. I'll expand that while we don't have any child-specific games in our organized play offerings, we do have a few games intended for beginning players. Specifically, Consortium Compact on Saturday afternoon, Wounded Wisp on Sunday afternoon, and Fallen Family, Broken Name on Monday afternoon.

Game registration for the con outside of our organized play IS rather messy. And I don't see a place on their website where it's spelled out. The clearest info is in the program book - last year's book is at http://www.dundracon.com/DDC_Files/DDC43ProgramBook.pdf and game sign-up starts page 22. Lottery results are posted at 11:30am, 5:30pm, and 9pm(for next morning). The lottery is weighted, so failing to get in a game makes it more likely to get into the next one.

**

James Anderson wrote:
Game registration for the con outside of our organized play IS rather messy. And I don't see a place on their website where it's spelled out. The clearest info is in the program book - last year's book is at http://www.dundracon.com/DDC_Files/DDC43ProgramBook.pdf and game sign-up starts page 22. Lottery results are posted at 11:30am, 5:30pm, and 9pm(for next morning). The lottery is weighted, so failing to get in a game makes it more likely to get into the next one.

This is super helpful.

It's a little disappointing that this is going to make it difficult for light, recreational players like me to attend, but c'est la vie.

Thank you!

**

Looks like I managed the trifecta of epic registration fail. Today's gonna be an interesting day. :)

**

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Thanks to everyone who made yesterday fun.

3/5 5/55/5 *** Venture-Agent, California—San Francisco Bay Area North & East

1 person marked this as a favorite.

It was so nice to meet you! I’m glad you had a good time.

Community / Forums / Organized Play / Events / Local Play / DunDraCon 2019 - Feb 15th - 18th All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Local Play