Legal?


Pathfinder Society


Hi I'm new to pathfinder society and I wanted to make a character so I can hopefully play at the upcoming paizocon in May, so I was wondering if you guys can tell me if my character I created with my GM friend is legal. Basically he is a sylph inquisitor of Cayden Cailean, I rolled for my ability scores in front of my friend and adjusted for race, also I took the weapon finesse feat. I didn't do a archetype, just switched out one of the racial feats for one on the list of possible choices. He uses a rapier, which is why I chose weapon finesse, and a short bow. Is this within the legal bounds? I'm not sure, any help or question will be helpful.

4/5 5/5

Justasking4afriend wrote:
I rolled for my ability scores in front of my friend...

Ability scores aren't rolled in Organized Play; we use a point-buy system. I suggest you download the Pathfinder Society Roleplaying Guild Guide; all of the rules for character creation are in there.

The Exchange 4/5 5/5

You’re gong to want to read the Pathfinder Society Roleplaying Guild Guide, particularly the section on character creation.

The biggest difference that you may not be aware of is that PFS uses a 20-point buy; you can’t roll stats. The only other potential problem I see is the “Racial Feats” you mentioned above. Do you mean racial traits? That’s probably OK.
edit: 7 seconds, Earl. That’s the shortest I’ve ever been ninja’d by!

The Exchange 5/5

You should also check the Additional Resources page for a list of what is allowed to be used from each sourcebook outside of the core rulebook. You also need to own any sourcebooks you use to build your character. Specific rules about this can be found in the FAQ page.

4/5

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Justasking4afriend wrote:
{numbered for clarity} Hi I'm new to pathfinder society and I wanted to make a character so I can hopefully play at the upcoming paizocon in May, so I was wondering if you guys can tell me if my character I created with my GM friend is legal. 1) Basically he is a sylph inquisitor of Cayden Cailean, 2) I rolled for my ability scores in front of my friend and adjusted for race, 3) also I took the weapon finesse feat. 4)I didn't do a archetype, 5) just switched out one of the racial feats for one on the list of possible choices. 6) He uses a rapier, which is why I chose weapon finesse, and a short bow. Is this within the legal bounds? I'm not sure, any help or question will be helpful.

1) you will need a 'Race Boon' to play a Sylph. ooops! Sylph race is open this Season (thanks SCPRedMage) but you will need the Advanced Race Guide.

* Inquisitor is legal if you own a copy(pdf or paper)of the Advanced Player's Guide(APG) or have a legal copy of it. In PFS you need to have a legal copy of the source to use the rules in it.
* Cayden Cailean is a legal choice for deity.

2) PFS uses a 20 point ability score buy, no rolling.

3) Weapon Finesse is legal and falls under what is called the core assumption, so PFS assumes you have that source material and don't need to have it. You get a Feat choice at First level.

4) no problem

5) again, you need to have a legal copy of the source to use a rule in it. Hopefully that rule was in the APG which you used for the Inquisitor class.

6) rapier and shortbow, good, again core assumption (CRB).
advice: In PFS it's buy at full and sell at half. This means you want to avoid selling back items if possible as you lose half your gold every time you do it. You might want to buy a MW composite longbow later.

A cold iron rapier might be better, it will cost 40gp rather than 20gp.
For 60gp you can have an NPC cast Masterwork Transformation on your cold iron rapier to give it the masterwork quality +1(+0). You can only have 1 masterwork transformation at a time...

Leather armor is 10gp and relatively non-restricting.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
My Life Is In Ruins wrote:
1) you will need a 'Race Boon' to play a Sylph. That's a special Chronicle that says "Elemental Ancestry (Air)" and "You may play a Sylph character" on it. I don't think that race showed up on another boon.

That's incorrect. According to the latest version of the Guide:

Pathfinder Society Roleplaying Guild Guide, pg 25 wrote:

2. RACE AND AGE

Select your character’s race. The choices offered in the Core Rulebook are always available, as are ifrit, kitsune, nagaji, oread, sylph, tengu, undine, and wayang, provided you own a copy of the appropriate source book.

Silver Crusade 1/5 Contributor

In addition, I'd look up how the "sell at half" rule works when you're still in the first-level rebuild period. (I'm on my phone right now or I'd double-check myself.)

4/5

Kalindlara wrote:
In addition, I'd look up how the "sell at half" rule works when you're still in the first-level rebuild period. (I'm on my phone right now or I'd double-check myself.)

You can freely rebuild as a First level character (except for expended items).

Most people forget or can't do it as +1 weapon enhancement comes in at +2000gp which is beyond First level earnings.

Silver Crusade 1/5 Contributor

It's true. I'm thinking more of the upgrade from basic weapon to masterwork weapon, or from basic armor to something like a mithril shirt.

4/5

in a practical manner at the end of First level he should have about 1650gp. Probably a MW weapon and misc potion/alchemical items will put the mithril shirt out of reach as most people tend to keep what they purchase and use a few consumables(potion of cure light wounds, antiplague) on the way to Second level.

My advice is to play a pregenerated character for the first three scenarios and create a Second level character with the gold you have. You miss out on Dayjob rolls but the pregens have some free stuff to use.

I tend to make mistakes when I'm tired (UTC -5)... *sigh* being human.

Sczarni 5/5 5/55/5 ***

Pregen is okay, but ideally you should playtest your own character and get a feel for it.

If you know your build is solid and you have your personality down, then GMing is the safest way to ensure you survive to Level 2+.

Also, if you do use a Pregen, you can roll Day Job checks. The Pregen just needs ranks in either Craft, Profession or Perform, and several do.

Grand Lodge 5/5 Regional Venture-Coordinator, Baltic

1 person marked this as a favorite.
My Life Is In Ruins wrote:
For 60gp you can have an NPC cast Masterwork Transformation on your cold iron rapier to give it the masterwork quality +1(+0).

360 gp. You also need to pay the material components for the spell.

Grand Lodge 4/5 5/55/55/55/5 ***

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
My Life Is In Ruins wrote:

in a practical manner at the end of First level he should have about 1650gp. Probably a MW weapon and misc potion/alchemical items will put the mithril shirt out of reach as most people tend to keep what they purchase and use a few consumables(potion of cure light wounds, antiplague) on the way to Second level.

My advice is to play a pregenerated character for the first three scenarios and create a Second level character with the gold you have. You miss out on Dayjob rolls but the pregens have some free stuff to use.

I tend to make mistakes when I'm tired (UTC -5)... *sigh* being human.

If the pregen has a day job (and several do) then you don’t miss out on day jobs.

Hmm

Scarab Sages 5/5 Venture-Agent, Washington—Ballard

Hilary Moon Murphy wrote:
My Life Is In Ruins wrote:

in a practical manner at the end of First level he should have about 1650gp. Probably a MW weapon and misc potion/alchemical items will put the mithril shirt out of reach as most people tend to keep what they purchase and use a few consumables(potion of cure light wounds, antiplague) on the way to Second level.

My advice is to play a pregenerated character for the first three scenarios and create a Second level character with the gold you have. You miss out on Dayjob rolls but the pregens have some free stuff to use.

I tend to make mistakes when I'm tired (UTC -5)... *sigh* being human.

If the pregen has a day job (and several do) then you don’t miss out on day jobs.

Hmm

That was a change made this season, and many have missed or overlooked that change.

Sczarni 5/5 5/55/5 ***

It's been several years now.

Grand Lodge

I was wondering If there was a way to find out, What Item to get for scenarios. I know there is a GM prep. But is there one for player to. For one if I need to get flying potion or other item. because there time I get ready for society game and get a potion or a scroll and not need it and then sell it, then find out I need it for the next game. How do I fix this ??

4/5 5/5

Dialydd bronzewolf wrote:
I get ready for society game and get a potion or a scroll and not need it and then sell it, then find out I need it for the next game. How do I fix this ??

Buy consumables to fill a need, not in anticipation of a scenario specific situation. If you buy a consumable and don’t use it, don’t sell it at a loss. Hold on to it. In all likelihood, you’ll find a use for it in the future. Just be as prepared as you can be for any situation and you should be successful in any scenario.

Grand Lodge 4/5

Dialydd bronzewolf wrote:
I was wondering If there was a way to find out, What Item to get for scenarios. I know there is a GM prep. But is there one for player to. For one if I need to get flying potion or other item. because there time I get ready for society game and get a potion or a scroll and not need it and then sell it, then find out I need it for the next game. How do I fix this ??

For many scenarios - not all - you'll have an opportunity to buy supplies between the mission briefing and initial research, and leaving for the site. This will require listening to the GM, as you should be doing already to succeed in your missions.

I agree, if you buy something and don't use it immediately, you've identified a need your character has and you'll lose the same amount whenever you sell it, so it's better not to.

5/5

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kevin Willis wrote:
edit: 7 seconds, Earl. That’s the shortest I’ve ever been ninja’d by!

Noob. ;)

4/5

got it...

Community / Forums / Organized Play / Pathfinder Society / Legal? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Pathfinder Society